PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Kansas is as faithful as it's options. Don't pretend that you're doing the noble thing by standing by your man when nobody else is calling.

Please, feel free to correct me where I am wrong. All I know is what I see and read. I think you are jumping to a lot of conclusions to be honest.

Has Kansas lifted it's skirt to any other conferences trying to get an invite?

Has Mizzou, two years in a row?

Usually where there is smoke, there is fire, and visibility in Columbia has been zero for two consecutive years.

tk13
10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Please, feel free to correct me where I am wrong. All I know is what I see and read. I think you are jumping to a lot of conclusions to be honest.

Has Kansas lifted it's skirt to any other conferences trying to get an invite?

Has Mizzou, two years in a row?

Usually where there is smoke, there is fire, and visibility in Columbia has been zero for two consecutive years.

I think pretty much every team in the Big 12 has had conversations with another conference, if not multiple conferences, because it appeared the conference was going to fall apart when OU and Texas went to the Pac 12. I think Colorado and Nebraska are pretty much the only two honest combatants in the whole deal. They said "This sucks, we're out, see ya" and that was that. Everyone else was ready to prostitute themselves out and now are sitting around the table like nothing happened. That's why it's funny watching this thread. All these fans of different schools slinging crap at each other, even though if another conference opened its skirt to any of these teams from OU to KU to MU on down, you would stab each other in the back without thinking twice.

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I think pretty much every team in the Big 12 has had conversations with another conference, if not multiple conferences, because it appeared the conference was going to fall apart when OU and Texas went to the Pac 12. I think Colorado and Nebraska are pretty much the only two honest combatants in the whole deal. They said "This sucks, we're out, see ya" and that was that. Everyone else was ready to prostitute themselves out and now are sitting around the table like nothing happened. That's why it's funny watching this thread. All these fans of different schools slinging crap at each other, even though if another conference opened its skirt to any of these teams from OU to KU to MU on down, you would stab each other in the back without thinking twice.

tk13, you must be privy to a lot more information than I have seen.

Earlier you said OU and Texas were shopping the PAC expansion last year, not just this year.

Now you say that KU was looking at other conferences.

Was there ever any credible sources saying that KU and or K-State were talking to other conferences?
I remember reading something about the Big East, but I thought that was just CP skuttlebutt. No?

tk13
10-12-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't really know anything special. I don't have any rooting interest in any of these schools, and to be honest I don't like the whole superconference idea. I just have a decent memory I guess. Here you go. This was reported as fact by ESPN (and many other outlets) last year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
tk13, you must be privy to a lot more information than I have seen.

Earlier you said OU and Texas were shopping the PAC expansion last year, not just this year.

Now you say that KU was looking at other conferences.

Was there ever any credible sources saying that KU and or K-State were talking to other conferences?
I remember reading something about the Big East, but I thought that was just CP skuttlebutt. No?

You mean the PAC 10 plane wasn't ready to go?

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't really know anything special. I don't have any rooting interest in any of these schools, and to be honest I don't like the whole superconference idea. I just have a decent memory I guess. Here you go. This was reported as fact by ESPN (and many other outlets) last year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

Thanks, guess I totally missed that one or just wasn't paying attention. It is very relevant to the information I was forming my opinion from. It changes things significantly.

Like you, I don't like the superconference idea, and prefer tradition. It just seems like more and more everything is about money.

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
You mean the PAC 10 plane wasn't ready to go?

LMAO, guess not.

KChiefs1
10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Well this is interesting....

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/big_east_continues_to_explore.html

"Rutgers’ Board of Governors is expected to give athletic director Tim Pernetti the authority to pursue conference options during a regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday."

Sounds like Delaney & the B1G might be waking up.

KChiefs1
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Kansas is as faithful as it's options. Don't pretend that you're doing the noble thing by standing by your man when nobody else is calling.

KU has to stand by Bevo & Boomer Sooner or they'll end up cuddling with Colorado St & Wyoming or Louisville & Cincinnati.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like Delaney & the B1G might be waking up.

I don't understand why this isn't getting more attention. This likely either means that they are going to the ACC or to the B1G. If they go to the ACC, I would guess that they are going with West Virginia or UCONN, but neither seem all that likely. I suppose Cincy or Louisville could be a dark horse, but that doesn't make much sense.

The B1G is interesting because Pitt already went to the ACC, and they were supposedly a B1G target last time. Who would be partnered with Rutgers? Notre Dame? Texas? Mizzou? Neinas has to be shitting in his Depends right now.

alnorth
10-12-2011, 08:35 PM

If they weren't, then the chancellor should be fired. It is fine to publicly play the loyal soldier and to quietly tell everyone you won't leave unless the conference falls apart, but if they weren't trying to find a landing spot just in case OU left, then they are too F-ing stupid to lead a university.

KChiefs1
10-12-2011, 08:40 PM
4. I don't think Kansas will feel inadequate should MU leave. We win where we can with the resources we have. You do the same, albeit not as well.

Yeah there's no doubt Mizzou can't come near to losing like KU does! Think OU will hang a 100 on ya?

KChiefs1
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
If they weren't, then the chancellor should be fired. It is fine to publicly play the loyal soldier and to quietly tell everyone you won't leave unless the conference falls apart, but if they weren't trying to find a landing spot just in case OU left, then they are too F-ing stupid to lead a university.

OU & OSU were already out the door with Ut & TT until Scott slammed the door in their faces. How come they didn't feel any heat from KU/KSU/ISU?

Reaper16
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah there's no doubt Mizzou can't come near to losing like KU does! Think OU will hang a 100 on ya?
OU is going to score one point for every 100 fans in attendance.

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
If they weren't, then the chancellor should be fired. It is fine to publicly play the loyal soldier and to quietly tell everyone you won't leave unless the conference falls apart, but if they weren't trying to find a landing spot just in case OU left, then they are too F-ing stupid to lead a university.I have little doubt they were, but I thought they kept the information confidential, thus not causing further instability. That is why I was asking if something was out there that I missed.

It was obvious to me by Bill Self's comments, that shit must be real behind closed doors.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
OU is going to score one point for every 100 fans in attendance.

I hope OU travels well, then.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
I have little doubt they were, but I thought they kept the information confidential, thus not causing further instability. That is why I was asking if something was out there that I missed.

It was obvious to me by Bill Self's comments, that shit must be real behind closed doors.

There was all kinds of "we have options" talk. The PAC 10 plane had called the ball.

DeezNutz
10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
OU & OSU were already out the door with Ut & TT until Scott slammed the door in their faces. How come they didn't feel any heat from KU/KSU/ISU?

Until the university presidents slammed the door in their faces because no one wants to deal with Texas and its bullshit.

HemiEd
10-12-2011, 08:58 PM

:banghead: I keep forgetting that in NCAA football, that style points and victory margins do count.

But at least KU has a football powerhouse tied with them in the Big 12 cellar.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/standings

I am guessing Kentucky is looking forward to the rumored SEC expansion.

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
This all bolsters our case. Missouri can go to court and say that they were treated in a hostile manner by a conference that should be acting as an advocate. After all, MU is still a member in good standing, has broken no rules, has not stated any intention to withdraw, and has not applied for membership of any other conference.

What we are receiving is nothing short of abuse by the commissioner. Why the **** would we stay in a conference that treats its remaining members this way?

WTF !?!? Geezus there are so many posts on here that are absurdly laughable debating the penalties with some crackpipe legal analysis, and some rather delusional justifications going on.

1st, the Big 12 can seek the maximum penalty for MU leaving. Each member signed the contract and has a duty specific to the contract. I don't know if that's 25 mil or whatever it is, but nothing legally restricts the B12 from going after the max / more than 6 mil. Last year the remaining members SETTLED with CU & NU on 6 mil. That doesn't mean that the contract was ratified as the new max, just that they agreed on a price for the B12 to not seek further legal action- a decision that would be cleared by all the remaining member institutions including MU. So there is little room to claim that defense since they were a party to its proceeding last year.

Contract disputes can be enforced, broken, seek damages or specific performance or otherwise remedy thru equitable justice. If the lang of the contract regarding the damages section spells out a percentage, then the figure could be higher than 25 mil, but I doubt that would be the case. If it went to court the judge has discretion so long as there is no unjust enrichment.

As to the B12 Commish's comment, how are they out of line when MU held a news conf stating their intention to explore switching confs. He is well within his duty and legal standing to respond to questions since its an ongoing and unsettled matter of the B12 once MU made their announcement and it looks like competing factions within MU are leaking info left and right to either push MU to go or try to kill the chances of it.

alnorth
10-12-2011, 10:01 PM

You don't use an escape hatch that you don't want to use unless, you know, you have to escape.

I'm saying that just blindly standing on the bridge of the ship and yelling at everyone to calm down while spending no time at all to look for an out would be dumb.

alnorth
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I have little doubt they were, but I thought they kept the information confidential, thus not causing further instability. That is why I was asking if something was out there that I missed.

Well yeah, I'm not agitated by the lack of information like a lot of stupid KU fans. If they have an out, I don't need to know about it. If KU has no out and are totally screwed if the conference falls, I don't need to know that either. Thankfully, we seem to have fewer leaks than MU.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 06:19 AM
WTF !?!? Geezus there are so many posts on here that are absurdly laughable debating the penalties with some crackpipe legal analysis, and some rather delusional justifications going on.

1st, the Big 12 can seek the maximum penalty for MU leaving. Each member signed the contract and has a duty specific to the contract. I don't know if that's 25 mil or whatever it is, but nothing legally restricts the B12 from going after the max / more than 6 mil. Last year the remaining members SETTLED with CU & NU on 6 mil. That doesn't mean that the contract was ratified as the new max, just that they agreed on a price for the B12 to not seek further legal action- a decision that would be cleared by all the remaining member institutions including MU. So there is little room to claim that defense since they were a party to its proceeding last year.

Contract disputes can be enforced, broken, seek damages or specific performance or otherwise remedy thru equitable justice. If the lang of the contract regarding the damages section spells out a percentage, then the figure could be higher than 25 mil, but I doubt that would be the case. If it went to court the judge has discretion so long as there is no unjust enrichment.

As to the B12 Commish's comment, how are they out of line when MU held a news conf stating their intention to explore switching confs. He is well within his duty and legal standing to respond to questions since its an ongoing and unsettled matter of the B12 once MU made their announcement and it looks like competing factions within MU are leaking info left and right to either push MU to go or try to kill the chances of it.

Yes, they settled for an agreed amount of damages. You can pretend that those numbers won't be used as a starting point for determining damages in the future, but that's not a very bright position.

Missouri gave Deaton the authority to explore options. So fuccking what? Its not the Big XII's place to make sure that MU never looks around. I have a phone contract with Sprint, but I'm checking out AT&T. That's none of Sprint's business.

Missouri has made no official movement towards exiting the conference, and until they do, it is the conference's duty to act in the best interests of all of its members. You are welcome to believe that public threats against amember in good standing that has publicly said nothing beyond "we are proud members of the Big XII" won't be seen as the conference violating its duty to a member, but I think you're silly.

In all liklehood, Neinas knows that MU is out the door and wants to push them out so that they can start finding new members. MU has nothing to gain by leaving early. They longer we wait, the more aggressive Neinas gets, and the stronger our case becomes when we say that we didn't jump, we were pushed.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 07:02 AM

http://failads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bored-baby-funny.jpg

Pants
10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

I was talking about winning and I'm sure you knew that when you posted this absolute abortion of a post.

I know you want to be shortsighted, but I was talking about conference wins and national championships. One school has them, the other doesn't. I'm not even bringing BCS bowls up. LMAO

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I was talking about winning and I'm sure you knew that when you posted this absolute abortion of a post.

I know you want to be shortsighted, but I was talking about conference wins and national championships. One school has them, the other doesn't. I'm not even bringing BCS bowls up. LMAO

Speaking of shortsighted, your entire post is based on - SURPRISE! - basketball, which we all know is uber important. LMAO

If we're talking football, ku has never finished above Mizzou in the history of the Big 12.

If we're talking overall athletic departments, ku finished last in the Director's Cup standings this part year and was one of the five worst programs among the major conferences.

If we are comparing head-to-head results, Mizzou has a 7-2 record in the Border Showdown series and has won the last 5 years.

But yeah, ku is all about WINNING! and CHAMPIONSHIPS! You make a fine Robin to wickeddumb's Batman.

Frazod
10-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Wickedpants! LMAO

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Wickedpants! LMAO

LMAO

Pants
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Speaking of shortsighted, your entire post is based on - SURPRISE! - basketball, which we all know is uber important. LMAO

If we're talking football, ku has never finished above Mizzou in the history of the Big 12.

If we're talking overall athletic departments, ku finished last in the Director's Cup standings this part year and was one of the five worst programs among the major conferences.

If we are comparing head-to-head results, Mizzou has a 7-2 record in the Border Showdown series and has won the last 5 years.

But yeah, ku is all about WINNING! and CHAMPIONSHIPS! You make a fine Robin to wickeddumb's Batman.

/sigh

KU and MU are 4-4 in the last 8 years with KU's last win coming in 2008. Not really sure where you came up with your numbers, but like the rest of your post, they're wrong.

And, look, I'm not saying KU is some kind of national powerhouse, I'm just saying we win where we can (basketball) and you win where you can (women's softball or whatever). I'm sorry that your school is mediocre in both football and basketball.

KU has a rich tradition in a secondary sport, your school is as generic as they come in every aspect. Hopefully, KU can get over this Gill period with a solid coaching hire in a couple of years and maybe one day we can reach your mediocrity levels in football again.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
/sigh

KU and MU are 4-4 in the last 8 years with KU's last win coming in 2008. Not really sure where you came up with your numbers, but like the rest of your post, they're wrong.

Please tell me when ku finished ahead of Mizzou in football during the history of the Big 12 if I am wrong. Thanks.

And, look, I'm not saying KU is some kind of national powerhouse, I'm just saying we win where we can (basketball) and you win where you can (women's softball or whatever). I'm sorry that your school is mediocre in both football and basketball.Yes you are good at basketball and pretty awful at everything else, hence your terrible Director's Cup standings that include all sports. You also are pretty terrible against Mizzou in every sport that isn't men's basketball. This is the point.

KU has a rich tradition in a secondary sport, your school is as generic as they come in every aspect. Hopefully, KU can get over this Gill period with a solid coaching hire in a couple of years and maybe one day we can reach your mediocrity levels in football again.See prior comment. Mizzou is generally a top 25 team in both football and basketball. ku is top 5-10 in basketball and bottom 5-10 in football. ku's entire athletic department is a one trick pony. I guess fans learn to accept it though, it's apparent you really just can't do any better.

Since 1994, you have never finished ahead of your bitter rival in the premier sport. That has to be pretty humbling.

Pants
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes you are good at basketball and pretty awful at everything else, hence your terrible Director's Cup standings that include all sports. You also are pretty terrible against Mizzou in every sport that isn't men's basketball. This is the point.

I honestly don't know about sports that aren't televised, but again, you're wrong. KU is not terrible against MU in football, I suggest you look up the records before you claim something as stupid again. Maybe in your head this is true, but that's the same place that thought MU was up 7-2 in head to head record in the last 9 years and won 5 in a row.

Mizzou is generally a top 25 team in both football and basketball. ku is top 5-10 in basketball and bottom 5-10 in football. ku's entire athletic department is a one trick pony. I guess fans learn to accept it though, it's apparent you really just can't do any better.

Yes, I accept that out of the two sports that are televised, KU gets one that is an absolutely elite program while the other one is garbage more often than it's not.

Since 1994, you have never finished ahead of your bitter rival in the premier sport. That has to be pretty humbling.

Not really. We get to celebrate championships every year. The last time you got to celebrate a championship was when you won a meaningless Big12 Conference Basketball Tournament, unless of course you're a big fan of womens softball or whatever it was. I seem to remember you, yourself, being awfully proud of that basketabll championship which spurred an argument or two about how you "don't care about basketball."

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
/sigh

And, look, I'm not saying KU is some kind of national powerhouse, I'm just saying we win where we can (basketball) and you win where you can (women's softball or whatever). I'm sorry that your school is mediocre in both football and basketball.

KU has a rich tradition in a secondary sport, your school is as generic as they come in every aspect. Hopefully, KU can get over this Gill period with a solid coaching hire in a couple of years and maybe one day we can reach your mediocrity levels in football again.

Burrrrn! ZiinnGG!!

Reerun_KC
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
I honestly don't know about sports that aren't televised, but again, you're wrong. KU is not terrible against MU in football, I suggest you look up the records before you claim something as stupid again. Maybe in your head this is true, but that's the same place that thought MU was up 7-2 in head to head record in the last 9 years and won 5 in a row.

Yes, I accept that out of the two sports that are televised, KU gets one that is an absolutely elite program while the other one is garbage more often than it's not.

Not really. We get to celebrate championships every year. The last time you got to celebrate a championship was when you won a meaningless Big12 Conference Basketball Tournament, unless of course you're a big fan of womens softball or whatever it was. I seem to remember you, yourself, being awfully proud of that basketabll championship which spurred an argument or two about how you "don't care about basketball."

Someone just got Ballsacked!

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Maybe you should reread your original post, which implied ku has conference wins and Mizzou doesn't. It was a stupid, wickeddumb-esque post that you got called on, and now you are changing the goalposts to fit your flawed argument.

I never said ku was terrible against Mizzou in head-to-head football. What I did say was ku has never finished ahead of Mizzou in Big 12 football standings since the Big 12 was formed in 1994, and that Mizzou more often than not beat ku head-to-head in all sports except for men's basketball. Those are facts.

I also pointed out that ku is dead last in the Director's Cup standings which include all sports, so that would be pretty impressive to finish last yet still somehow win more conference games than Mizzou. Almost impossible even.

Not really. We get to celebrate championships every year. The last time you got to celebrate a championship was when you won a meaningless Big12 Conference Basketball Tournament, unless of course you're a big fan of womens softball or whatever it was. I seem to remember you, yourself, being awfully proud of that basketabll championship which spurred an argument or two about how you "don't care about basketball."You get to celebrate a conference championship in men's basketball almost every year, that is true. However, for all but maybe 3-5 schools in the entire country, basketball takes a huge backseat to football, and having a consistently competitive football team is more preferable than top 10 basketball and bottom 10 football. That's just reality.

Bearcat
10-13-2011, 09:27 AM
See prior comment. Mizzou is generally a top 25 team in both football and basketball. ku is top 5-10 in basketball and bottom 5-10 in football. ku's entire athletic department is a one trick pony. I guess fans learn to accept it though, it's apparent you really just can't do any better.

Mizzou BB has finished in the top 25 twice in the past 10 years, and Mizzou FB has finished in the top 25 three times in 10 years.... and those years include some of the best finishes in both sports. I wouldn't call that 'generally'.

Pants
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I never said ku was terrible against Mizzou in head-to-head football.

No, you said KU was terrible against MU in head-to-head in every sport except basketball. Every sport includes football, which, -SURPRISE!- is the premier sport. So -SURPRISE!- you were wrong again.

If MU is the bestest ever in the money-losing sports, more power to you, I guess. I'm too lazy to go look the records of that up to even see if that's the case.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
No, you said KU was terrible against MU in head-to-head in every sport except basketball. Every sport includes football, which, -SURPRISE!- is the premier sport. So -SURPRISE!- you were wrong again.

If MU is the bestest ever in the money-losing sports, more power to you, I guess. I'm too lazy to go look the records of that up to even see if that's the case.

Hello? ku IS generally terrible against Mizzou in head-to-head competition. How the f#ck can you argue Border Showdown results, which are - SURPRISE - an award given to the team the performs that best in head-to-head competition for that year? Mizzou has won five straight years. That is not insignificant.

Good call on saying you are too lazy to look up the results. It is a nice cover for you to act like you don't care, even though you've continued this conversation all morning. You clearly just don't care at all.

Pants
10-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Hello? ku IS generally terrible against Mizzou in head-to-head competition. How the f#ck can you argue Border Showdown results, which are - SURPRISE - an award given to the team the performs that best in head-to-head competition for that year? Mizzou has won five straight years. That is not insignificant.

Good call on saying you are too lazy to look up the results. It is a nice cover for you to act like you don't care, even though you've continued this conversation all morning. You clearly just don't care at all.

Of course I care. I just don't care about women's softball and volleyball.

Oh, and I didn't realize that Border Showdown was an all-encompassing award. My apologies. I thought you were talking about the football game. You weren't wrong then about the 7-2 record. Not sure why you didn't address that earlier. That's a :facepalm: on my part.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Seen at Occupy Wall Street:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt060r7PIw1r4cih1o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1318606038&Signature=q4tlTrxWtzkeZarYR3tqWQE44L8%3D

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
You get to celebrate a conference championship in men's basketball almost every year, that is true. However, for all but maybe 3-5 schools in the entire country, basketball takes a huge backseat to football, and having a consistently competitive football team is more preferable than top 10 basketball and bottom 10 football. That's just reality.

I guess us 3-5 schools will just have to cheer for conference championships, tourney championships in a secondary sport while you are cheering for...........what exactly?

Pants
10-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I guess us 3-5 schools will just have to cheer for conference championships, tourney championships in a secondary sport while you are cheering for...........what exactly?

Finishing top 25 once every 3 years. DUH!

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 10:24 AM
If I could trade Mizzou's football and basketball programs for KU's, I wouldn't even consider it.

Pants
10-13-2011, 10:27 AM
If I could trade Mizzou's football and basketball programs for KU's, I wouldn't even consider it.

If I could trade KU's football and basketball programs for MU's, I wouldn't even consider it. KU is a coaching hire away from being able to compete (see Mangino), but nothing can every replace the rich, championship tradition of basketball at Kansas.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Being competitive in the premier sport. Isn't that obvious?

Football is king. Everything else is a secondary sport.

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Being competitive in the premier sport. Isn't that obvious?

Football is king. Everything else is a secondary sport.

I guess if just being competitive is enough for you, more power to you.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I guess if just being competitive is enough for you, more power to you.

Yeah, it is a hard sport that every school pours the majority of their resources in. It is fun to have exciting games, winning seasons, and play in bowl games, instead of being a national punchline for the sport.

Our record will likely be impacted early on by a move to the SEC, but the move will generate even greater excitement, attendance, and financial resources. Why? Because more games against premier opponents, in the premier conference, for the premier sport.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I understand why a KU fan wouldn't want to trade programs, but I believe that the Big XII is doomed to fail. If it does, a strong football program is more likely to land a seat on a life boat than an elite basketball program. In my mind, priority #1 is to not get left on the outside looking in. Right now, there is no priority #2.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Mizzou BB has finished in the top 25 twice in the past 10 years, and Mizzou FB has finished in the top 25 three times in 10 years.... and those years include some of the best finishes in both sports. I wouldn't call that 'generally'.

ROFL But, but they are really good and stuff. I like the color of their uniforms!

Pants
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I understand why a KU fan wouldn't want to trade programs, but I believe that the Big XII is doomed to fail. If it does, a strong football program is more likely to land a seat on a life boat than an elite basketball program. In my mind, priority #1 is to not get left on the outside looking in. Right now, there is no priority #2.

Yeah, this is why I hope our next hire is better than Turner Gill.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM

We'll (You'll) know after next season. Maybe there's another Harbaugh out there.

Pants
10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
We'll (You'll) know after next season. Maybe there's another Harbaugh out there.

We can probably lure him away form the 49ers.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM

This brings up a TCU question. Why would KU, ISU, KSU, andy Baylor agree to let in TCU? If the realignment to 4 16s happens, TCU would possibly have been behind all of you in the pecking order. Now they may be ahead of all of you. Also, you just let another Texas team into your conference, and you won't be able to beat them out for head-to-head recruits, as you ceded to them your competitive advantage.

Pants
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
This brings up a TCU question. Why would KU, ISU, KSU, andy Baylor agree to let in TCU? If the realignment to 4 16s happens, TCU would possibly have been behind all of you in the pecking order. Now they may be ahead of all of you. Also, you just let another Texas team into your conference, and you won't be able to beat them out for head-to-head recruits, as you ceded to them your competitive advantage.

I think the line of thinking there was conference stability.

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah, it is a hard sport that every school pours the majority of their resources in. It is fun to have exciting games, winning seasons, and play in bowl games, instead of being a national punchline for the sport.

I'd love to have a winning football program. I'm aware it's the "important" sport. I'll take what I can get right now though. Which is a secondary team that has exciting games, winning seasons, conference championships, and is in the national title conversation nearly every single year.

I know KU was picked to finish last in the conference this year in football, but at least we've got some company right now. Hopefully a good head coach hire will get the football program headed in the right direction. We'll just have to wait and see. Until then, we'll just have to tide ourselves over with our secondary team.

Braincase
10-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Just to piss Mizzou off, same reason the conference does anything.

Pants
10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I'd love to have a winning football program. I'm aware it's the "important" sport. I'll take what I can get right now though. Which is a secondary team that has exciting games, winning seasons, conference championships, and is in the national title conversation nearly every single year.

I know KU was picked to finish last in the conference this year in football, but at least we've got some company right now. Hopefully a good head coach hire will get the football program headed in the right direction. We'll just have to wait and see. Until then, we'll just have to tide ourselves over with our secondary team.
Nobody talks about "premier" and secondary sports when CBB is on ESPN all the time during the winter. The only people who constantly bring that up are the MU fans on CP.

alnorth
10-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Well, since the realignment to 4 16-team conferences is an internet pipe dream that will never happen, it is not a concern.

Bearcat
10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Nobody talks about "premier" and secondary sports when CBB is on ESPN all the time during the winter. The only people who constantly bring that up are the MU fans on CP.

And only in the past few years, ever since that one game against Memphis... weird.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Algorithm time.

It will need secondary sport modifications.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, since the realignment to 4 16-team conferences is an internet pipe dream that will never happen, it is not a concern.

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

The PAC has expanded to 12 and was close to expanding to 16.
The SEC has expanded to 13 and appears ready to go to 14.
The B1G has expanded to 12 and would love to expand with ND.
The ACC has expanded to 14.

The 4 assumed superconferences have already expanded from 45 members to 51 members. That much we know. We also know that Missouri, West Virginia, and now Rutgers are seriously exploring options within those conferences. That could bring us to 54.

Now remember that Texas, Tech, OU, and oSu would like to go to the PAC. That's 58.

Notre Dame would be 59, and they would bring a partner which would make 60.

It is very easy to see a scenario involving a 16 team PAC, a 14 team B1G, a 16 team ACC, and a 14 team SEC within the next 12-24 months. If that happens, the SEC anf B1G round out their conferences with 2 more teams, and that's that.

Old Dog
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't see any reasonable expansion to those four 16-team conferences where KU would have much to worry about.

My Wildcats are another story altogether, but we can only really play the hand we've been dealt.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Mostly because they can't compete, so the sport is insignificant. Let the Tigers have a good season, then it suddenly becomes relevant.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't see any reasonable expansion to those four 16-team conferences where KU would have much to worry about.

My Wildcats are another story altogether, but we can only really play the hand we've been dealt.

OU, oSu, Tex, and Tech to the PAC.
Cincy and Louisville to the ACC.
Mizzou, WVU, and TCU to the SEC.
Rutgers and Notre Dame to the B1G.

That leaves 2 spots in the B1G with BYU, KU, KSU, Baylor, UCONN, Boston College, South Florida, Central Florida, Boise State, and Iowa State trying to get a spot.

A wrench in those works would be if Rutgers and Mizzou went to the B1G, and WVU was the 14th in the SEC.

That would leave 1 spot in the B1G and 1 in the SEC. KU will not wind up in the SEC. They could easily be left out in that scenario.

Frazod
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Mostly because they can't compete, so the sport is insignificant. Let the Tigers have a good season, then it suddenly becomes relevant.

Well, the flip side to that is when it's the ONLY THING YOU'VE GOT, you tend to value it more than others do. Sort of like Iowa and wrestling.

And ESPN would pimp bingo if they thought they'd make any money airing it.

Pants
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, the flip side to that is when it's the ONLY THING YOU'VE GOT, you tend to value it more than others do. Sort of like Iowa and wrestling.

This is true. We value it a lot.

Well, they don't because it doesn't. The point is that basketball is on national television a lot (not just ESPN) which means it's probably rather popular.

Frazod
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
This is true. We value it a lot.

Well, they don't because it doesn't. The point is that basketball is on national television a lot (not just ESPN) which means it's probably rather popular.

There's all sorts of stuff on ESPN that I don't give two shits about. At least basketball is a real sport - as opposed to shit like golf, racing and poker. I truly believe there's a large segment of the population that can be fairly easily programmed to like whatever ESPN thinks they should like.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
LSU Chancellor says Mizzou would be a good fit.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/1066749-123/lsu-chancellor-to-be-panelist.html

As for the talk of Missouri becoming the SEC’s 14th member, Martin can “safely say” the college would be a good fit as a land-grant university near a large media market that would add prestige as an Association of American Universities member.

But Martin said there is no rush toward further growth as a “super conference,” especially because every decision has been “reactive” instead of based on a proper vision.

“In some ways the SEC is in the driver’s seat, but we’re not necessarily comfortable, because we’re not sure where we’re driving,” Martin said.

Martin said he believes stopping at 14 SEC teams is appropriate, rather than expanding to 16.

“I don’t see Texas following Texas A&M. I don’t see Oklahoma going anywhere without Oklahoma State,” he said.

Bambi
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM

MU should think about getting a strong football program if that's the case.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM

No doubt, but you can look at that two ways. Iowa is good at wrestling because they like it and have been successful at it, and success breeds further success.

I think that also holds true with KU BB, and of course gaining traction with Mizzou football and......um ladies softball?

But really, I think CBS is a bigger factor, or at least as big in College BB as ESPN. I don't think too many events rival "March Madness."

"Despite CBS' contract to carry the tournament until 2013, the NCAA had the option of ending the agreement after the 2010 championship. This led to speculation that ESPN would snag the rights to future tournament games[14] However, on April 22, 2010, the NCAA signed a 14-year agreement with CBS and Turner Broadcasting System worth more than $10.8 billion, allowing CBS to continue airing the entire regional finals through the national championship, with CBS and Turner splitting coverage of earlier rounds in the now 68-team field. After 2015, the regional finals, Final Four and national championship will alternate between CBS and TBS."

Bambi
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
No doubt, but you can look at that two ways. Iowa is good at wrestling because they like it and have been successful at it, and success breeds further success.

I think that also holds true with KU BB, and of course gaining traction with Mizzou football and......um ladies softball?

But really, I think CBS is a bigger factor, or at least as big in College BB as ESPN. I don't think too many events rival "March Madness."

"Despite CBS' contract to carry the tournament until 2013, the NCAA had the option of ending the agreement after the 2010 championship. This led to speculation that ESPN would snag the rights to future tournament games[14] However, on April 22, 2010, the NCAA signed a 14-year agreement with CBS and Turner Broadcasting System worth more than $10.8 billion, allowing CBS to continue airing the entire regional finals through the national championship, with CBS and Turner splitting coverage of earlier rounds in the now 68-team field. After 2015, the regional finals, Final Four and national championship will alternate between CBS and TBS."

CBB is poised to grow even more with the NBA lockout imo.

An $11 billion deal for a single tournament isn't a bad start.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
There's all sorts of stuff on ESPN that I don't give two shits about. At least basketball is a real sport - as opposed to shit like golf, racing and poker. I truly believe there's a large segment of the population that can be fairly easily programmed to like whatever ESPN thinks they should like.

Ok, you got me here.

I love watching all of those things. I actually record the poker, and even watch the recordings more than once. :D

ESPN2 is the only place to catch NHRA drag racing, the fastest sport in the world, and I set on the edge of my seat watching golf.

College FB? Not so much, unless it is KU or K-State.

veist
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

And really, that new deal led to the first time you could watch every tourney game on TV right? I'm not saying basketball is going to suddenly jump football in revenue because a) its not, b) its not and c) this is a football crazy country but there is still a ton of room for basketball revenue to grow. Live sports programming draws eyeballs consistently and your production cost for it is really just the rights fees. With more channels expanding to broadcasting live sports and the fact that it takes megabucks to get a good football game it really wouldn't surprise me to see some explosive growth in basketball coverage as time goes on and more coverage means more revenue.

Pants
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Ok, you got me here.

I love watching all of those things. I actually record the poker, and even watch the recordings more than once. :D

ESPN2 is the only place to catch NHRA drag racing, the fastest sport in the world, and I set on the edge of my seat watching golf.

What do you mean? People have different tastes?

Bambi
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Ok, you got me here.

Tune into Mizzou this weekend to see some hard hitting action vs ISU...

oh, wait

Anyong Bluth
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Word on the street too is that TCU's AD is s real ballbuster & def. wouldn't put up w shit or be a puppet to UT.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Frazod
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Still doesn't mean anything to me, other than having to listen to my wife bitch because all the goddamn basketball games screw up her TV shows. :D

I certainly understand why you beakers like it so much. But as I have said before, I never ever ever cared about basketball. I never played it as a kid, I never watched it as a kid. Nobody in my family cares about it or watches it. I did, however, watch and play (albeit badly) football and baseball as a kid.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
And really, that new deal led to the first time you could watch every tourney game on TV right? I'm not saying basketball is going to suddenly jump football in revenue because a) its not, b) its not and c) this is a football crazy country but there is still a ton of room for basketball revenue to grow. Live sports programming draws eyeballs consistently and your production cost for it is really just the rights fees. With more channels expanding to broadcasting live sports and the fact that it takes megabucks to get a good football game it really wouldn't surprise me to see some explosive growth in basketball coverage as time goes on and more coverage means more revenue.My memory is kind of fuzzy on that, but I used to buy a DTV package called "March Madness" and could always catch every game I wanted to see. I know it has changed now, maybe for the better because I don't think I had to pay for it last year.

What do you mean? People have different tastes?For sure.
The poker craze has been phenominal, and watching it is almost as good as playing it, plus you get to keep your money!
The NHRA is dying, as it is mostly old farts like me that pay any attention to it. They have tried to involve the rice burner driving youth, but I am not sure how well that is working out.
Golf is on EVERY major network, including their own, so that speaks for itself.

Frazod
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Tune into Mizzou this weekend to see some hard hitting action vs ISU...

oh, wait

Hopefully the KU game will be televised. I'd hate for your to miss a second of them getting the shit kicked out of them by [insert random opponent's name here].

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Still doesn't mean anything to me, other than having to listen to my wife bitch because all the goddamn basketball games screw up her TV shows. :D

I certainly understand why you beakers like it so much. But as I have said before, I never ever ever cared about basketball. I never played it as a kid, I never watched it as a kid. Nobody in my family cares about it or watches it. I did, however, watch and play (albeit badly) football and baseball as a kid.

That makes sense, and kind of ties into what we have been saying.

To be honest, KU was tied for second with K-State around my house, behind WSU. All three schools have a very rich basketball tradition, football not so much.

Bill Snyder changed some of that, as 2 out of 3 Ford F150s/Chevy Silvarados in the state of Kansas have had a purple and silver front tag for years now.

Pants
10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Hopefully the KU game will be televised. I'd hate for your to miss a second of them getting the shit kicked out of them by [insert random opponent's name here].

LMAO

Yeah, we're riding the coattails of Oklahoma all the way to another curbstomp on national TV.

Bambi
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM

It is on ESPN2 at 8 o'clock for some reason. :)

Frazod
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
LMAO

Yeah, we're riding the coattails of Oklahoma all the way to another curbstomp on national TV.

For some reason I suddenly remembered the student-faculty rugby game from Meaning of Life..... :evil:

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
CBB is poised to grow even more with the NBA lockout imo.

An $11 billion deal for a single tournament isn't a bad start.

By "single tournament", I assume you mean 14 years worth of tournaments.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I hope they rated it R. Woman and children should be warned.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Word on the street too is that TCU's AD is s real ballbuster & def. wouldn't put up w shit or be a puppet to UT.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Ignoring the fact that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, I'm less than convinced that. TCU is going to waltz in and start throwing its weight around.

BWillie
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I still don't understand how ppl continue to just not get it. Missouri and karate fans claim nobody cares about basketball. This is simply untrue. If nobody cared about it there wouldnt be a multi billion dollar contract for it. The large difference is how money is allocated to tthe schools. Basketball, as it currently stands does not make much more for any given conference. Look, football is more popular but its not a dramatic difference like there is comparing college bball to baseball. If superconferences do come to fruition, and move to their own "division"...KU will get snatched up like that. It just might be a while away until there are superconferences. Basically ND will decide when this all happens, which is why i root for their failure

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I still don't understand how ppl continue to just not get it. Missouri and karate fans claim nobody cares about basketball. This is simply untrue. If nobody cared about it there wouldnt be a multi billion dollar contract for it. The large difference is how money is allocated to tthe schools. Basketball, as it currently stands does not make much more for any given conference. Look, football is more popular but its not a dramatic difference like there is comparing college bball to baseball. If superconferences do come to fruition, and move to their own "division"...KU will get snatched up like that. It just might be a while away until there are superconferences. Basically ND will decide when this all happens, which is why i root for their failure

1. I haven't seen anyone, let alone a Mizzou or "karate" fan, claim that no one cares about basketball. A couple people have said that basketball is a secondary sport compared to football, which is true and everyone freely admits this.

2. Who do you think snatches up ku if it goes to superconferences? I think ku has a decent shot but I don't think it is a guarantee like you claim. You really only fit two conferences: PAC and Big Ten. PAC is probably a 50% chance, depending on if Texas could go without bringing a little brother. Big Ten seems like a 20-25% chance but they really would like to go East. ACC is a pipedream, it just doesn't work geographically.

SPATCH
10-13-2011, 02:07 PM

dude. grab your rape whistles.

Reerun_KC
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:ls1tech.com/get/forums/images/smilies2/buttkick.gif

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
2. Who do you think snatches up ku if it goes to superconferences?
Obviously Karate University will snatch up KU. DUH!

|Zach|
10-13-2011, 02:37 PM

lol

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2011, 02:39 PM
They should change the name of this thread to the KU/MU/KSU rehashed 1000 time arguments thread.

Pretty much.

I'm hopeful Mizzou does move to the SEC. Then all these dumbass arguments and the rivalry ends.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Plenty of people care about basketball, especially during the tournament. Nobody has said otherwise.

What people have said, and correctly at that, is that basketball has very little impact on the landscape of realignment. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

The first 2 schools to move were Nebraska and Colorado. Basketball schools? I think not.

aTm went to the SEC. Basketball school?

TCU went to the Big East and now the Big XII. Basketball school?

Syracuse and Pitt were in the best basketball conference known to man. They left that conference for the sake of their football teams that were withering away in the Big East despite the fact that their basketball teams flourished.

Mizzou, Rutgers, and WVU are all being rumored to join new conferences. None of them are basketball schools.

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious it is that basketball doesnt matter.

Pants
10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Plenty of people care about basketball, especially during the tournament. Nobody has said otherwise.

What people have said, and correctly at that, is that basketball has very little impact on the landscape of realignment. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

The first 2 schools to move were Nebraska and Colorado. Basketball schools? I think not.

Syracuse and Pitt were in the best basketball conference known to man. They left that conference for the sake of their football teams that were withering away in the Big East despite the fact that their basketball teams flourished.

Mizzou, Rutgers, and WVU are all being rumored to join new conferences. None of them are basketball schools.

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious how little basketball matters.

I know his posts are hard to read. I think he already knows all this is driven by FB and tries to explain it by saying that NCAA takes all the BBall profits away from schools unlike BCS. I'm not sure how correct he is.

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Pretty much.

I'm hopeful Mizzou does move to the SEC. Then all these dumbass arguments and the rivalry ends.

No doubt. Verifiable proof that we're better and no one wants the other universities.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 02:53 PM
No doubt. Verifiable proof that we're better and no one wants the other universities.

ROFL, and the circle starts again.

Mizzou is the one out shopping itself for the second year in a row. Many of us are anxious for it to happen, get it done already.

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
ROFL, and the circle starts again.

Mizzou is the one out shopping itself for the second year in a row. Many of us are anxious for it to happen, get it done already.

Ballsack.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Ballsack.

Ok, now that did make me laugh coming from you. The last 37 times from ReRun were not funny.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Surpassing KU as the "Undisputed We Had Options" Champions of 2011.
:D

Reerun_KC
10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Ok, now that did make me laugh coming from you. The last 37 times from ReRun were not funny.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:ls1tech.com/get/forums/images/smilies/nutswinger.gif

Swing from that ballsack big boy...

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 03:03 PM

All this bullshit needs to end. And soon. Worthless, the lot of it.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
All this bullshit needs to end. And soon. Worthless, the lot of it.

Not yet. I want to Photoshop the SEC logo in place of the Bat Signal over Columbia first.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:ls1tech.com/get/forums/images/smilies/nutswinger.gif

Swing from that ballsack big boy...

ROFL

|Zach|
10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Not yet. I want to Photoshop the SEC logo in place of the Bat Signal over Columbia first.

LMAO

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM

LMAO. Here are some mountains in the west.

http://www.mountainwestmicrosurgical.com/images/wyoming-rocky-mountains.jpg

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM

ReeRun flew his SEC plane right over my house today. I gazed. Longingly.

SPchief
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
So has the SEC extended and offer to Mizzou yet
waits for someone to take the bait

OnTheWarpath15
10-13-2011, 03:21 PM
So has the SEC extended and offer to Mizzou yet
waits for someone to take the bait

White text tends to work better for this.

DeezNutz
10-13-2011, 03:27 PM
K-State's home alternate:

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/16400215/view/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/purple-anchor-dripping-bleeding-rockabilly-women-s-t-shirts.png

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
2. Who do you think snatches up ku if it goes to superconferences? I think ku has a decent shot but I don't think it is a guarantee like you claim. You really only fit two conferences: PAC and Big Ten. PAC is probably a 50% chance, depending on if Texas could go without bringing a little brother. Big Ten seems like a 20-25% chance but they really would like to go East. ACC is a pipedream, it just doesn't work geographically.

Ballsack! Nobody wants us.

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious it is that basketball doesnt matter.

Holy shit man....I think everyone.....EVERYONE....understands what you've just said. Everyone has heard it each time a MU fan posts....we get it. If they don't get it, do they really belong in this thread?

Basketball is secondary. We got it. Football is like Jesus hanging with Zeus shooting basketball fans with a football gun.....basketball is like synchronized swimming on dry land.

Mr. Plow
10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I know his posts are hard to read. I think he already knows all this is driven by FB and tries to explain it by saying that NCAA takes all the BBall profits away from schools unlike BCS. I'm not sure how correct he is.

I believe basketball funds all non-revenue spots.

Frazod
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/16400215/view/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/purple-anchor-dripping-bleeding-rockabilly-women-s-t-shirts.png

ROFL

Post of the day

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Holy shit man....I think everyone.....EVERYONE....understands what you've just said. Everyone has heard it each time a MU fan posts....we get it. If they don't get it, do they really belong in this thread?

Basketball is secondary. We got it. Football is like Jesus hanging with Zeus shooting basketball fans with a football gun.....basketball is like synchronized swimming on dry land.

:clap:

Pants
10-13-2011, 04:04 PM

What are you saying here? I'm confused.

alnorth
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
The whole "the NCAA stole basketball postseason revenue" argument is a decent one, but its not an end-all be-all argument. Yes, the basketball contract is huge, and yes it is not fair that basketball tournament revenue is taken and used to fund non-revenue sport championships with whatever is left redistributed to everyone in the NCAA while football money is grabbed by a few conferences. Yes, if it wasn't that way, basketball would become more relevant. However, football would still be king, by a long shot.

The football postseason plus the regular season combined produces a lot more than twice as much as the ncaa tournament. While the basketball regular season isn't very valuable except for a handful of schools, the football regular season is hugely important. So we're basically comparing basketball tournament vs all of football. So if you wave a magic wand and force football to start supporting some of the non-revenue sports, ncaa tournament money would still be dwarfed by football postseason money + football regular season money.

I wouldn't change things very much for KU.

kstater
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
This will be fun.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/oct/12/the-value-of-the-sec-has-yet-to-be-determined/?tigerextra

Neal Pilson, the former president of CBS Sports, is a consultant who helped negotiate recent multibillion dollar deals for NASCAR and the Olympics. He said the fact that the SEC is just two years into a 15-year contract with its TV partners means it has little leverage.If SEC wanted now to pool its Tier 3 rights and try to start a network, its bargaining power might be diminished, according to a media consultant with experience in TV rights negotiations, who wished to remain anonymous. He said the SEC’s big chance came before it signed its current contract.
Maestas also was dubious about the SEC’s ability to start a network on par with the Big Ten or Pac-12 considering it’s current circumstances.
“Because they signed a pretty comprehensive deal and decided not to launch their own network last time, they didn’t leave themselves the kind of inventory you need to really do a network successfully,” Maestas said. “Let’s use the Pac-12 as an example. I think the direction conferences will go is leaving a lot more quality football and basketball inventory to drive distribution and sales of that network. The Big Ten did a decent amount and had great success. The Pac-12 has left a good deal of inventory and has had tremendous success. The SEC doesn’t have that high a quality of inventory left over on a relative basis.

Anyong Bluth
10-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Ignoring the fact that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, I'm less than convinced that. TCU is going to waltz in and start throwing its weight around.

Your's was just the last comment on TCU I saw & it really is more a reply to some talk Ive seen around that people think UT is happy they got another Texas school back in the fold as if they are going to block vote & follow UT, so my point was more mentioning that Ive heard that TCU isnt down with that at all.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Holy hell that's LMAO

Pants
10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
This will be fun.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/oct/12/the-value-of-the-sec-has-yet-to-be-determined/?tigerextra

MU is going to be that inventory they need.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
MU is going to be that inventory they need.

You sarcasm not withstanding, if they expand their potential audience by 40% with the additions of aTm and Mizzou, pretty much.

Old Dog
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Boise St possibly to the Big East? The article doesn't make it seem probable, but even the possibility makes about as much sense as basketball cleats.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7097384/report-big-east-boise-state-broncos-need-persuading

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 06:44 PM
You sarcasm not withstanding, if they expand their potential audience by 40% with the additions of aTm and Mizzou, pretty much.Will the woman's softball coverage be regional, or conference wide?

O.city
10-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Good grief with all this conference stuff. Just do away with the SEC, Big 12, 10 whatever and make 5 major conferences according to your location.

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Good grief with all this conference stuff. Just do away with the SEC, Big 12, 10 whatever and make 5 major conferences according to your location.

No need. There are going to be 4. This will lead to a playoff. Faces will be rocked.

Pants
10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
You sarcasm not withstanding, if they expand their potential audience by 40% with the additions of aTm and Mizzou, pretty much.

I was only half sarcastic.

It's obviously why they're trying to expand, and I'm sure those execs know WTF they're doing.

kcfan82
10-13-2011, 07:34 PM
What crap that is, it looks like basketball is secondary because the NCAA pockets all of the revenue to the NCAA tournament and then distributes it out to all of the NCAA schools.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/04/22/us-basketball-ncaa-cbsturner-idUSTRE63L4FP20100422

The tournament alone looks like it makes as much as if you had 7-8 BCS football conferences.

Bearcat
10-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Boise St possibly to the Big East? The article doesn't make it seem probable, but even the possibility makes about as much sense as basketball cleats.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7097384/report-big-east-boise-state-broncos-need-persuading

I would not want to be seen in secondary cleats.

Bambi
10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Did MU sell out homecoming yet?

Bambi
10-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Mike Alden interviewed at UNC.

damn..

beer bacon
10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike Alden interviewed at UNC.

damn..

KU got owned by NC again. Bubba Cunningham took the NC AD job. He just recently turned down the same position at KU.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2011, 07:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/49588/3-point-stance

1. The SEC presidents will decide which school to invite as the league’s 14th member. Athletic administrators, I am told, don’t want Missouri because of the travel to Columbia. For instance, it’s 1,000 miles from there to Gainesville, Fla. Add the remote nature of so many SEC campuses, and travel of non-revenue teams will incur a sharp increase in either time (commercial travel through Atlanta) or money ($30,000 charter flights).

kstater
10-14-2011, 08:04 AM

About time for Mizou to hike that skirt up a little more. Can you say Jr. Membership?

Pants
10-14-2011, 08:05 AM
KU got owned by NC again. Bubba Cunningham took the NC AD job. He just recently turned down the same position at KU.

To be fair, 70% of the KU fans did not want Bubba when he was going through the process. Bubba turned the job down after his final interview with BGL. Apparently she bestowed a million conditions on what he could and could not do and the guy decided he didn't want that.

So yeah, not sure how KU got "owned" and I'm not sure what the previous time(s) were.

Reaper16
10-14-2011, 08:10 AM
About time for Mizou to hike that skirt up a little more. Can you say Jr. Membership?
The SEC can't.

kstater
10-14-2011, 08:14 AM
The SEC can't.

Yeah, membership might have been too big of word.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, membership might have been too big of word.

c'mon now...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EV3xtEb3bJ0/SWy4ewTbJ9I/AAAAAAAAAA0/Br9b0zP9s0g/s320/Losers2.JPG

kstater
10-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Mizou is a much shorter word.

My bad, Mizzou is a much better spelling of Missouri.

Priest31kc
10-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Well thats not good.

And no one talking about Alden interviewing with UNC? Thats not good either.

And now no SEC Network possibly?

I got a feeling Mizzou will be staying in the Big 12-2-1+1.

KChiefs1
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Solid reporting. How far is Arkansas from Florida? How far is Texas A&M from Florida? How far is Mizzou from Arkansas? How far is Mizzou from LSU?

Saulbadguy
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Solid reporting. How far is Arkansas from Florida? How far is Texas A&M from Florida? How far is Mizzou from Arkansas? How far is Mizzou from LSU?

It's Ivan Maisel - he's pretty reputable.

Arkansas, A&M are worth the increased travel time. Mizzou is not.

kstater
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
It's Ivan Maisel - he's pretty reputable.

Arkansas, A&M are worth the increased travel time. Mizzou is not.

The comments are....interesting.

kstater
10-14-2011, 09:18 AM
The comments are....interesting.

ESPN has gotten ridiculously derogatory towards MU and it needs to stop. Before the season they were hyping up MU and ever since this talk has started, they have yet to say one positive thing about them. John Anderson, one of your lead anchors and one of many of your own MU alumni, is a special guest at our 100th Anniversary of Homecoming this weekend, if you have any dignity left, please refrain from forcing him to talk crap about his Alma Mater this weekend!

Pants
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Is John Anderson the most annoying personality on ESPN or is it just my Hawk bias?

Bambi
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM

nah.

this is ownage

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ZdL9PxKQ8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
It's Ivan Maisel.

But its also just another opinion. Until the stay or go is official you might well get used to this.

Old Dog
10-14-2011, 09:32 AM
if you have any dignity left

ESPN doesn't

Priest31kc
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
So lets say SEC doesn't start SEC Network & pool Tier 3 rights....since Big 12 granted Tier 1 & 2 rights like SEC, wont we be making about the same in Big 12 then? And we wont have to double our budget to be competitive in SEC or pay exit fees...

I know SEC is alot more stable...but does anyone really think MU will be left out of a BCS conference IF Big 12 falls apart & we go to bigger conferences?

I hate Texas & them being above everyone else...but even if they were to show HS content on LHN and all that BS....would it really change anything? Mizzou will never out-recruit Texas in Texas anyways...

IDK what to think on all this anymore...

Frazod
10-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't really care what happens anymore - it would just be nice if we would start WINNING SOME FUCKING GAMES. :banghead:

alnorth
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
So lets say SEC doesn't start SEC Network & pool Tier 3 rights....since Big 12 granted Tier 1 & 2 rights like SEC, wont we be making about the same in Big 12 then?

To be fair to the SEC, no I don't think so, but the difference will be fairly small after 2015. Since that extra money is not divided among Mizzou fans, the difference won't be enough to care about if you can keep the Texas pipeline and win the Big 12 north.

Old Dog
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
does anyone really think MU will be left out of a BCS conference IF Big 12 falls apart & we go to bigger conferences?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't believe there's a chance in hell that the Tigers would be a wall flower while 63 other schools get dance partners.

Reerun_KC
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't really care what happens anymore - it would just be nice if we would start WINNING SOME ****ING GAMES. :banghead:

With your history in football? I wouldnt be worried. As long as I remember MU has been a storied powerhouse... It will come back around.

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't really care what happens anymore - it would just be nice if we would start WINNING SOME ****ING GAMES. :banghead:

Somebody kill me now, I am feeling compassion for the Mizzou fans. :banghead:

I checked the schedule, and don't see any more Western Illinois or Miami of Ohio's on there, but I would say they got a pretty good shot November 26th.:(

alnorth
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM

The only way this makes sense is if there is no possibility that Mizzou goes west and the east AD's are saying "N. F. W. we're flying to Columbia", but I don't know what option B is, if distance was a deal-breaker.

If the alternative is WVU then maybe its a little closer for the east schools, but if you look at a map, it isn't much. This theory is stronger if the alternative was Clemson or FSU, but we've been beat over the head repeatedly for a while that the SEC won't expand in states where they are in, so you'd have to assume that assumption was false all along.

Reerun_KC
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
ReeRun flew his SEC plane right over my house today. I gazed. Longingly.

My plane will be in Lawrence tomorrow and Houston on Monday.... What does this mean for KU?

My guess is nothing more than BALLSACK....

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
This season has been nothing but road games against ranked teams. We've got a Sophomore at QB, and out LT got injured for the season in the spring. Its going to take some time for this team to put it together.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 10:09 AM
The only way this makes sense is if there is no possibility that Mizzou goes west and the east AD's are saying "N. F. W. we're flying to Columbia", but I don't know what option B is, if distance was a deal-breaker.

If the alternative is WVU then maybe its a little closer for the east schools, but if you look at a map, it isn't much. This theory is stronger if the alternative was Clemson or FSU, but we've been beat over the head repeatedly for a while that the SEC won't expand in states where they are in, so you'd have to assume that assumption was false all along.

This entire travel argument is nonsensical for 2 reasons.

1. If travel for non-revenue sports is such a problem, you can have different divisions for those sports. I doubt Alabama is adamant that they keep their rivalry game with Tenn for women's field hockey.

2. In all liklehood, they will be expanding into 4 4-team pods in the next year or two, so these temporary divisions won't matter long-term.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Somebody kill me now, I am feeling compassion for the Mizzou fans. :banghead:

I checked the schedule, and don't see any more Western Illinois or Miami of Ohio's on there, but I would say they got a pretty good shot November 26th.:(

It will just be nice to be back in Columbia - seems like it's been forever since they've had a home game.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Yes. Thanks for asking. We didn't even have to send out letters begging people to come or anything.

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
It will just be nice to be back in Columbia - seems like it's been forever since they've had a home game.

Looks like two in a row coming up, Iowa State and Oklahoma State. 1 and 1?

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes. Thanks for asking. We didn't even have to send out letters begging people to come or anything.

LMAO

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 10:55 AM

A week ago, with GA seats going for $65 (which is absurdly high for the privilege of genuinely sitting on a pile of rocks).

Literally every single hotel room in Columbia is booked and most of the ones in Jeff City and the surrounding areas are as well.

That dog won't hunt, dickhead.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Looks like two in a row coming up, Iowa State and Oklahoma State. 1 and 1?

Who knows? Hopefully playing at home will improve whatever's ailing them. Sure would be nice for these vaunted linemen I keep hearing about to step up and actually do something.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
A week ago, with GA seats going for $65 (which is absurdly high for the privilege of genuinely sitting on a pile of rocks).

Literally every single hotel room in Columbia is booked and most of the ones in Jeff City and the surrounding areas are as well.

That dog won't hunt, dickhead.

That is to say nothing of the fact that there are 21,000 more seats at Faurot than there are in that multi-purpose facility they call a football stadium in Lawrence. It holds another 4-5000 when you include GA "seating" on the hill.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
That is to say nothing of the fact that there are 21,000 more seats at Faurot than there are in that multi-purpose facility they call a football stadium in Lawrence. It holds another 4-5000 when you include GA "seating" on the hill.

They're projecting around 71,200 to show up.

Yeah - no support for the program at all.

If the Beakers and the newly emboldened K-State fans want to take shots at the 'fake titan' label they claim is being applied to MU by its fans - fine, whatever. If they want to say the program is historically mediocre - fine. Those are legitimate points that can at least be discussed.

But seriously - the 'haha, MU can't even get fans to come out' argument is a non-starter. The atmosphere in Columbia for MU football is second to none, including Arrowhead.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM

If the Beakers and the newly emboldened K-State fans want to take shots at the 'fake titan' label they claim is being applied to MU by its fans - fine, whatever. If they want to say the program is historically mediocre - fine. Those are legitimate points that can at least be discussed.

But seriously - the 'haha, MU can't even get fans to come out' argument is a non-starter. The atmosphere in Columbia for MU football is second to none, including Arrowhead.

I'm curious as to how many MU fans that have actively posted in this thread go to the games? Not trying to start an argument, I just wonder how many of them would consider themselves "regulars" to Faurot Field.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm curious as to how many MU fans that have actively posted in this thread go to the games? Not trying to start an argument, I just wonder how many of them would consider themselves "regulars" to Faurot Field.

I alternate seasons w/ MU and the Chiefs.

If I have Chiefs season tickets, I let my MU tickets go; I can't justify dedicating that much time and $$ to football games.

The real problem with MU football tickets is that the best way to get them is through the secondary market. If you want decent season tickets, you have 2 options: 1) Be a student (best option) or 2) Get in the alumni association and pay an assload of money to get into the pool for tickets.

Football tickets as an alumni will still run you over $100/seat by the time you factor in your alumni association dues. If you also go to basketball games, it's not a big deal (because the alumni dues can apply to both and thus lessen the sting), but if you're just going to football, the tickets become pretty expensive in a hurry.

So most people tend to buy them on the secondary market. I've also grabbed them in the parking lot on a handful of occasions because the tailgate scene in Columbia is pretty badass. A lot of folks will just hang in the parking lot if they don't have tickets. So you go, barbecue, drink, try to find tickets and if you can't you just keep drinking and barbecuing.

Pants
10-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I don't know where that stems from. I admit, last time I was there was in 2004, but the place was packed. I imagine it only got more popular since then.

I should add that it cleared early in the 4th qtr, but it was full when we got there. :D

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm certainly not a regular there, as its a 5+ hour round trip. I've actually seen them play multiple times in Lawrence and Manhattan.

Pants
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm certainly not a regular there, as its a 5+ hour round trip. I've actually seen them play multiple times in Lawrence and Manhattan.

Pussy.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 12:50 PM

I would have went to see them regularly if they'd ended up in the Big 10. :cuss:

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 12:50 PM

That really is an impressive number, especially when you consider that it's not a marquis game, and its not inflated by a bunch of visiting fans packing the stadium.

As an aside, aTm announced its move to the SEC 10 days after it announced that it was exploring its options. Mizzou announced its intent to explore 9 days ago. I've heard a little speculation that the reason we weren't willing to adjust our start time in order to be. Televised because we may have announcement planned.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Pussy.

Totally. With all the marquee matchups the Big XII provides us, its hard to decide between Baylor, ISU, Tech, etc.

Discuss Thrower
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
There's something about how I feel like the longer any sort of decision is announced, the less likely it is for Mizzou to move.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:57 PM
That really is an impressive number, especially when you consider that it's not a marquis game, and its not inflated by a bunch of visiting fans packing the stadium.

As an aside, aTm announced its move to the SEC 10 days after it announced that it was exploring its options. Mizzou announced its intent to explore 9 days ago. I've heard a little speculation that the reason we weren't willing to adjust our start time in order to be. Televised because we may have announcement planned.

Seems unlikely and WAY too cool to be pulled off by this administration.

They'll announce it on a Friday at 4:45 to make sure that they properly bury the lede. Probably the Friday before the Super Bowl no less.

Seriously - this administration is really stupid.

Discuss Thrower
10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Wanna dance?

Questionable. I would never post a pic of my daughter on a message board. Especially this one.

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Questionable. I would never post a pic of my daughter on a message board. Especially this one.

I removed it for you. :D I had no idea who she was.

Discuss Thrower
10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I removed it for you. :D I had no idea who she was.

Well at the end of the day she's someone's daughter.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
There's something about how I feel like the longer any sort of decision is announced, the less likely it is for Mizzou to move.

That's my natural inclination as well, but my logical side thinks that, if this wasn't going to happen, the announcement would have happened by now. There's no logistics involved in staying. Moving requires getting ducks in a row.

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2011, 03:15 PM
... newly emboldened K-State fans

LMAO

Newly emboldened? Shit there's nothing new about it.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
LMAO

Newly emboldened? Shit there's nothing new about it.

No, you guys have been on a tear since you won your Super Bowl last week.

Titty Meat
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Totally. With all the marquee matchups the Big XII provides us, its hard to decide between Baylor, ISU, Tech, etc.

Did you just learn what the word marquee meant? You've used it in nearly every post today.

kstater
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

CTR isn't for another 6 weeks.

Saul Good
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Did you just learn what the word marquee meant? You've used it in nearly every post today.

By "nearly every", you mean "once"?

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2011, 03:44 PM

That's not true. The Texas game is still weeks away.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Well shit, now I see kstater beat me to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Well shit, now I see kstater beat me to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's that extra pep in my step I've had the last week.

Titty Meat
10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
None of ya'llz is gonna talk about midnight madness?

Buck
10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Holy shit balls. 22 team conference.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-14/conference-usa-mountain-west-announce-football-merger

Conference USA, Mountain West announce football merger

Conference USA and the Mountain West Conference announced Friday that they have agreed to consolidate their football programs into one association.

There are currently 12 C-USA members and 10 football-playing members of the MWC.

“The role of a conference is to provide its members with the best possible environment in which to conduct their intercollegiate athletics programs,” said MWC commissioner Craig Thompson. “Rather than await changes in membership due to realignment, it became clear the best way to serve our institutions was to pursue an original concept. The Mountain West and C-USA share a number of similarities, and the creative merger of our football assets firmly positions our respective members for the future.”

Rest assured, both leagues will be impacted by realignment. There are multiple media reports that Boise State of the MWC will be extended an invitation to join the Big East. Central Florida, in C-USA, is also expected to get a call from the Big East.

With TCU playing its final year in the Mountain West, the MWC and C-USA are near losing their most high profile programs.

UNLV president and Mountain West board of directors chair Neal Smatresk said: “In an era of uncertainty in intercollegiate athletics, this collaborative partnership with C-USA lends stability and credibility to our collective football enterprise. We are excited about the prospect of having teams in five time zones and the many possibilities created by this extremely bold and proactive step.”

In its current lineup, the two leagues combine to have a presence in 16 states. C-USA has television partnerships with Fox Sports and CBS Sports, as well as ESPN for its championship game. The MWC has partnerships with CBS Sports and Comcast/NBC Universal.

The two would operate independently, but there would be cross-conference games. The winners of each side would play in a conference championship game.

Al Bundy
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
22 team conference.. football. Will be interesting to see those matchups.

big nasty kcnut
10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
The shit just got real.

Al Bundy
10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
UCF vs UNLV... I could see the 2 schools I attended play.

kstater
10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
The shit just got real.

Not really.

Squawk

Frazod
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
That's not true. The Texas game is still weeks away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shit, you guys beat Texas all the time. Missouri, not so much. :D

kstater
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Shit, you guys beat Texas all the time. Missouri, not so much. :D

Snyder is 14-5 versus Missouri. Including 13 in a row.'

I think Pinkel is 5-5.

KC_Connection
10-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Cool, a super mega conference.

kstater
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
'Aint no seats.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7103015/texas-longhorns-deloss-dodds-tells-texas-bill-byrne-nonconference-schedule-full-2018

mikeyis4dcats.
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

I've probably been to more games there than most of these guys....

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Alabama would support adding Missouri if those Tigers, not Auburn, play in the East

Jon Solomon -- The Birmingham News 10/15/2011 5:34 AM

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Nothing's simple about the SEC possibly adding Missouri. As inevitable as Texas A&M to the SEC felt, Missouri to the SEC doesn't feel that way, although the wedding could still very well happen if a proposal happens.

Missouri remains favored by the majority of SEC presidents and chancellors as the 14th member, four sources familiar with their discussions told The Birmingham News this week. One major sticking point is which division Missouri would play football in, according to the sources.

Alabama, which resides in the SEC minority of wanting No. 14 from the East Coast, would support Missouri if it joined the SEC East, not the West, multiple sources said. According to the sources, Alabama has two objectives: Keep its annual cross-division rivalry game against Tennessee, and not watch Auburn move to the East and possibly grow its recruiting presence in talent-rich Florida and Georgia.

Auburn is interested in moving to the East but if staying in the West and Missouri joining the East were necessary for expansion, Auburn likely would not stand in the way, according to a source.

Memo to Missouri: Get used to this type of pettiness in the SEC, where even the tiniest of potential football recruiting advantages becomes dissected.

As strange as Missouri in the East sounds, conferences usually fail in geography class. Louisiana Tech currently plays in a league with Hawaii. Vanderbilt is in the East and Auburn is in the West in the SEC. The Mountain West and Conference USA announced a 22-team merged football league spanning 16 states and five time zones. The Big East might invite Boise State, for crying out loud.

Missouri in the East would allow Alabama to continue playing Tennessee every year. It would also keep the league's six traditional football powers divided equally (Alabama, Auburn and LSU in the West; Florida, Georgia and Tennessee in the East).

However, there is a fairly significant gap in football pedigree between divisions depending on whether Missouri or Auburn plays in the East, assuming Texas A&M goes to the West.

Texas A&M's all-time winning percentage would rank seventh in the SEC, well behind the traditional powers and slightly ahead of Arkansas. Missouri would rank 10th, ahead of only Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

If Missouri plays in the East, the West would have six of the SEC's top nine winning-percentage leaders. The West would be decidedly better than the East in all-time winning percentage (.605 to .573), bowl winning percentage (.530 to .500) and SEC titles (46 to 35).

That disparity gets reduced with Auburn in the East. The West's advantage in all-time winning percentage would be lower (.592 to .585), and the East would have the edge in bowl winning percentage (.529 to .506) and SEC titles (42 to 39).

Some SEC presidents have concerns about the cost of Missouri's Big 12 exit fees and potential litigation, sources said, but the legal worries have been tempered since the Big 12 righted itself.

There's also the issue of ego, which can't be overlooked. Last week, The Associated Press quoted an anonymous Missouri official as saying the school preferred the Big Ten but now hopes to join the SEC because "that's what's left."

At least one SEC president who's skeptical of Missouri brought up the story during the SEC presidents' conference call this week, sources said, and the presidents were quickly told that's a minority view by Missouri officials.

Somewhat lost in the public discussion about expansion is travel for athletes, who are supposedly students first. Expansion doesn't affect football players on chartered weekend flights, but it better be a consideration for non-revenue sports given the remoteness of so many SEC campuses. Trips to Texas A&M and Missouri mean either more travel time or more travel costs.

Only one SEC school is within 500 miles of Texas A&M and just four are within 500 miles of Missouri. The SEC should place a percentage of any new TV money into a fund to assist non-revenue sports cover travel costs and take that decision -- should we buy out our football coach or charter our volleyball team on a long trip? -- out of schools' hands.

Missouri remains the SEC's focus. Where to unleash what would be the SEC's third set of Tigers -- that's one of the biggest questions.

Write Jon at jsolomon@bhamnews.com. Follow him at twitter.com/jonsol.

www.al.com

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 11:20 AM
ESPN reporting that the Big East will invite 4 more teams.

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 02:08 PM
At the Mizzou vs ISU game. No Big XII signage anywhere! They have been taken off the field & end zones & around the stadium. Looks like a done deal.

Dante84
10-15-2011, 02:11 PM
At the Mizzou vs ISU game. No Big XII signage anywhere! They have been taken off the field & end zones & around the stadium. Looks like a done deal.

Yeah, that's the determining factor.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, that's the determining factor.

Why would they go to the effort to remove it otherwise? From what I've heard from people at the game, it sounds like they really had to carve up the ground to remove the logo.

kstater
10-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Hope it's true. With Mizzou being in good standing and all. I'm fairly certain displaying signage is a requirement.

mnchiefsguy
10-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Hope it's true. With Mizzou being in good standing and all. I'm fairly certain displaying signage is a requirement.

Link to the requirement? They may not have bothered with signage since there was no TV for the game.

SPchief
10-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Is that the reason they didn't want the game on tv?

Frazod
10-15-2011, 02:17 PM

That certainly makes more sense than the big FUCK YOU to all non-local fans that it seemed like.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Link to the requirement? They may not have bothered with signage since there was no TV for the game.

From what I've read elsewhere, they had to really scalp the field to remove it. It was done intentionally.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if a student did it.

mnchiefsguy
10-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Maybe. I have read that they did not want the game starting at 11:10 because of the homecoming parade, activities, etc. Not sure what not having the logos on the field means. With no TV, maybe they did not want to pay for the extra grounds keeping? Maybe they are sending a message to the Big XII? Both of those seem unlikely to me.

Mr. Plow
10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Why would they go to the effort to remove it otherwise? From what I've heard from people at the game, it sounds like they really had to carve up the ground to remove the logo.

Why would they go through the effort of removing it NOW....you know, while they are still members of the Big 12 and in the middle of the year?

I could understand after they have officially left the Big 12, but now?

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Why would they go through the effort of removing it NOW....you know, while they are still members of the Big 12 and in the middle of the year?

I could understand after they have officially left the Big 12, but now?

Hopefully it's because there's an announcement coming at homecoming tonight.

notorious
10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Bye.

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike Kelly just openly mocked Texas in the radio broadcast! Hilarious!

Bowser
10-15-2011, 03:04 PM

What'd he say?

Stewie
10-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Really? That's crazy! Because MU is the Overlord of all things big-time football! Texas doesn't give a shit about MU... and as far as I can tell the SEC will let the little unknown sister in.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Really? That's crazy! Because MU is the Overlord of all things big-time football! Texas doesn't give a shit about MU... and as far as I can tell the SEC will let the little unknown sister in.

KU fans really don't care about Mizzou. No inferiority complex to see here.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Well if the logo removal is a sign that they are moving on, they forgot to remove it from their university website... :rolleyes:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/4/n/2/bush-strategery.jpg

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 04:23 PM
What'd he say?

Something about Austin being the center of the universe.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
KU fans really don't care about Mizzou. No inferiority complex to see here.
Why would KU fans have an inferiority complex about Mizzou? In Mizzou's best football season in a half-century, KU ended up going to a better bowl. Are we supposed to be in awe of all of Gary Pinkel's current mediocrity and partial success?

That, of course, isn't even mentioning Mizzou's failings in basketball, which is really the only sport anybody cares about at KU.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Why would KU fans have an inferiority complex about Mizzou? In Mizzou's best football season in a half-century, KU ended up going to a better bowl.

I thought that year, the best season in KU football history, Mizzou beat KU's asses and finished the season ranked higher while KU finished third in the conference.

SPchief
10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and rehash the same shit that we always talk about over and over

FYP

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Speaking of bowl games, will this be your 5th straight season not making any or just your 5th?

Discuss Thrower
10-15-2011, 05:09 PM
That's one way to word that. Another is that in the best season that KU football ever had and ever will have, they still lost to MU, finished in 3rd place behind MU, ended the season ranked behind MU just like every other season. And that extra money they got from the Orange Bowl? That was spent buying out Mangino's contract and the football program is back to being a complete joke and won't even win a conference game this year.

... there's a silver lining in even the darkest of clouds.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I thought that year, the best season in KU football history, Mizzou beat KU's asses and finished the season ranked higher while KU finished third in the conference.
Orange Bowl.

Speaking of bowl games, will this be your 5th straight season not making any or just your 5th?
Don't know, I don't worry about it. KU is a basketball school.

FYP
I'm just wondering what KU fans should feel inferior about. If anything, I've noticed there's a major complex the other way.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
KU has the worst team in D-1 in the most popular sport in the country. You should feel inferior to every other team because you are.

baitism
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Going to be rough on you this winter because even your basketball team looks like it is way down.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
KU has the worst team in D-1 in the most popular sport in the country. You should feel inferior to every other team because you are.
This is like bragging that the Toronto Blue Jays are better than the Kansas City Royals. Who gives a shit?

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
This is like bragging that the Toronto Blue Jays are better than the Kansas City Royals. Who gives a shit?

Evidently the SEC gives a shit.

I can't wait to see OU shitstomp the Hawks on ESPN tonight.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Going to be rough on you this winter because even your basketball team looks like it is way down.
If by way down, you mean the B12 favorite and a virtual lock to make the tournament like every season under Bill Self. Very down, indeed.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Orange Bowl.

Don't know, I don't worry about it. KU is a basketball school.

I'm just wondering what KU fans should feel inferior about. If anything, I've noticed there's a major complex the other way.

The Beakers getting that bid was a crime and an absolute joke.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Evidently the SEC gives a shit.
I don't. The majority of KU fans don't. That was the point.

I can't wait to see OU shitstomp the Hawks on ESPN tonight.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Obsessed. I doubt I'll watch any of it, it's game 6 of the ALCS tonight.

Frazod
10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
That's one way to word that. Another is that in the best season that KU football ever had and ever will have, they still lost to MU, finished in 3rd place behind MU, ended the season ranked behind MU just like every other season. And that extra money they got from the Orange Bowl? That was spent buying out Mangino's contract and the football program is back to being a complete joke and won't even win a conference game this year.

That pretty much sums it up, other to say that had I driven to Kansas City to watch that KU/MU game and Missouri lost, it would have easily been the darkest fucking day of my life. I don't know how anybody can compare beating another fraud they have zero history with in an overhyped game that THEY ALL KNOW they didn't deserve to be in the first place, to beating your most hated rival in the biggest game they ever played against each other.

Whatever makes clowns like KCC and Wickedson happy, though. Personally, I'll take the W.

Saul Good
10-15-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't. The majority of KU fans don't. That was the point.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Obsessed. I doubt I'll watch any of it, it's game 6 of the ALCS tonight.

I'm not watching it because I'm obsessed. I'm watching it because I've got money on OU.

Frazod
10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm not watching it because I'm obsessed. I'm watching it because I've got money on OU.

I think I'll watch just for the comedic value.

SPchief
10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
This is the song that never ends, It goes on and on my friends

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:24 PM
That pretty much sums it up, other to say that had I driven to Kansas City to watch that KU/MU game and Missouri lost, it would have easily been the darkest ****ing day of my life. I don't know how anybody can compare beating another fraud they have zero history with in an overhyped game that THEY ALL KNOW they didn't deserve to be in the first place, to beating your most hated rival in the biggest game they ever played against each other.

Whatever makes clowns like KCC and Wickedson happy, though. Personally, I'll take the W.
I would have taken the W too, but my comment is about giving perspective.

Bragging about Mizzou being a better football program than KU is like me coming to this forum and bragging that the Jays regularly win 80 games a season rather than the Royals' 65. Are Royals fans going to care? Hell no, they'd laugh.

There is no inferiority complex here, there's no reason for one.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
What's the line at? 40?

Old Dog
10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
What's the line at? 40?

Currently 35x

Frazod
10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I would have taken the W too, but my comment is about giving perspective.

Bragging about Mizzou being a better football program than KU is like me coming to this forum and bragging that the Jays regularly win 80 games a season rather than the Royals' 65. Are Royals fans going to care? Hell no, they'd laugh.

There is no inferiority complex here, there's no reason for one.

I must have missed the part where people from Kansas City once burned Toronto to the ground. And apparently I'm shocked to learn that Missouri and Ontario share a common border! Wow, who knew?

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I must have missed the part where people from Kansas City once burned Toronto to the ground. And apparently I'm shocked to learn that Missouri and Ontario share a common border! Wow, who knew?
You confuse me with someone that hates Mizzou fans simply because of the state they are from.

Frazod
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
You confuse me with someone that hates Mizzou fans simply because of the state they are from.

Yeah, sure.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, sure.
I'm from Canada. We don't hate anybody.

Brock
10-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Uh....is this a little bit more than a sports rivalry for you? LMAO

Bowser
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
To be fair, it was post 4989 that set off the latest round of MU/KU pissing match.

Frazod
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Uh....is this a little bit more than a sports rivalry for you? LMAO

It was mainly just me debunking his bullshit analogy.

KC_Connection
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
It was mainly just me debunking his bullshit analogy.
You didn't debunk anything. The analogy was about mediocrity.

CoMoChief
10-15-2011, 06:20 PM
ROFL

MU 3-14 all time vs. Self's Jayhawks

Gee...thought a rivalry was supposed to be competitive.

If MU does go to the SEC, it will be fun to watch another blue blood pound their shit in year after year in bball.

Titty Meat
10-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Como brings up a sport that doesn't count. Wanna give us Mizzou's record vs KU in baseball while you're at it?

Mr. Plow
10-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Hopefully it's because there's an announcement coming at homecoming tonight.

I'm curious, did aTm, Nebraska, or Colorado announce they were leaving mid year and then removing anything that would indicate they were still a member of the Big 12? Because regardless of the announcement, MU is at least a member of the Big 12 until mid next year.....as is aTm.