PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

kstater
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
TTRaider makes a reappearance on Tigerboard. For those that don't remember, he was one of the first to even mention that Mizzou would be going to the SEC.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=9182410

Suweet, we get 6 years of that lucrative Pac 12 money.

KChiefs1
12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
TTRaider makes a reappearance on Tigerboard. For those that don't remember, he was one of the first to even mention that Mizzou would be going to the SEC.

Jesus the Big 12 is a big ole pile of crap.

evenfall
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Anybody who thought Texas and Oklahoma were going to stay in a dying conference was kidding themselves.

eazyb81
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Suweet, we get 6 years of that lucrative Pac 12 money.

Link to all the schools officially signing the six year media rights pledge?

|Zach|
12-03-2011, 11:04 AM
The Big 12 is shitty.

TigerBoard is shittier. That place is a pit even though some good tidbits can come from it.

Saulbadguy
12-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Texas fears us.

kstater
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Link to all the schools officially signing the six year
media rights pledge?

http://redraiders.com/local-news/2011-10-31/tech-regents-ratify-six-year-assignment-sports-media-rights-big-12#.TtpXZFZSneU

“I believe we’re the last to do it,” Bailey said. The six-year deal
would carry into the first year of any new contract with ABC-ESPN.

Reaper16
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
TigerBoard is the Fukushima reactor failure of message boards. It's an aesthetic disaster of international humanitarian concern and it leaks St. Louis-tinged waste (such as the annoying acronyms like "HCGP") to the other corners of the Mizzou fanbase.

eazyb81
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
http://redraiders.com/local-news/2011-10-31/tech-regents-ratify-six-year-assignment-sports-media-rights-big-12#.TtpXZFZSneU

LOL if you buy that compelling quote.

kstater
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
LOL if you buy that compelling quote.

You're right, a University president is much less reputable source than a random post on a message board.

mnchiefsguy
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't the documentation of a six year media rights waiver to the conference be available via the freedom of information act? That is how details on coaches contracts are usually obtained. Seems like if the six year pact is a done deal, the contract would be available to see.

eazyb81
12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
You're right, a University president is much less reputable source than a random post on a message board.

Tech is just along for the ride, much like KSU. They have no clue what is really going on behind the scenes.

Pledging the media rights was discussed non-stop when the league was trying to keep A&M and Missouri. If every school signed it, the Big 12 would certainly throw a parade and send out mass press releases to try and prove to everyone else how stable the league is.

The Big 12 is a ticking time bomb.

Reaper16
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech is just along for the ride, much like KSU. They have no clue what is really going on behind the scenes.

But a guy whose username is TTRaider is plugged in?

evenfall
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM

It's not a credible claim yet. It's just a post from a poster who proved to have correct insider information previously on conference realignment and claims to have it again.

eazyb81
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Do you know the guy's posting history? He has earned slightly more credibility than your random internet message board poster.

And I'm not saying this guy is gospel, but it is an interesting comment that helps support the general feeling outside the Big 12 that texass is bolting sooner rather than later.

duncan_idaho
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
If Texas and OU bolt for the PAC-XX and my name is Okie Lite, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor or Iowa State, I would be afraid. Very afraid.

Rausch
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
"There is no such thing as a super-conference.

The US economy is fine, Africa is curing disease, and the Big 12 will last FOREVER..."

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

tredadda
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Actually, I think Baylor and KSU have the most to worry about. My gut tells me that if the Big XII fell apart, TCU and WVU would head to the SEC. Also I think the Big X would surprise most experts and take ISU. They have decent athletics and are an AAU university that is big into research. KU I also see going to the Big X. I think if KU was offered that spot sans KSU they would cut ties with them in a heartbeat. TT and OSU go wherever Texas and OU go.

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Actually, I think Baylor and KSU have the most to worry about. My gut tells me that if the Big XII fell apart, TCU and WVU would head to the SEC. Also I think the Big X would surprise most experts and take ISU. They have decent athletics and are an AAU university that is big into research. KU I also see going to the Big X. I think if KU was offered that spot sans KSU they would cut ties with them in a heartbeat. TT and OSU go wherever Texas and OU go.

Wow. No. Just...no

evenfall
12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
If Texas and OU bolt for the PAC-XX and my name is Okie Lite, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor or Iowa State, I would be afraid. Very afraid.

Why wouldn't Oklahoma State get to go along with UT and OU? They have a great football program and a lot of financial backing, obviously.

evenfall
12-03-2011, 12:29 PM

The Big Ten is not going to invite Kansas and Iowa State. That's hilarious.

duncan_idaho
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Why wouldn't Oklahoma State get to go along with UT and OU? They have a great football program and a lot of financial backing, obviously.

Because Oklahoma State is basically a community college, and the old school academic guard in the PAC still has a lot of power. I think the next round of expansion sees Texas and OU both shrugging off little brother(s) as they move to the PAC.

If the PAC was willing to accept Okie Lite, OU and oSu would both already be in the league. OU's desire to bring oSu with it is the REAL reason they came back to the Big Clusterf****. Unless you REALLY believe David Boren wanted to "save the league."

Reaper16
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Do you know the guy's posting history? He has earned slightly more credibility than your random internet message board poster.

And I'm not saying this guy is gospel, but it is an interesting comment that helps support the general feeling outside the Big 12 that texass is bolting sooner rather than later.
I'm not making any judgements about that poster. I'm making judgments about your logic.

Can we assume that TTRaider (as in T[exas]T[ech][Red]R[aider]) is getting his historically-reliable inside info because he has connections inside Texas Tech? It seems likely. If so, then you shouldn't then also claim that Texas Tech is "just along for the ride," lacking knowledge of "behind the scenes" goings-on.

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm not making any judgements about that poster. I'm making judgments about your logic.

Can we assume that TTRaider (as in T[exas]T[ech][Red]R[aider]) is getting his historically-reliable inside info because he has connections inside Texas Tech? It seems likely. If so, then you shouldn't then also claim that Texas Tech is "just along for the ride," lacking knowledge of "behind the scenes" goings-on.

Either the dude's been consistently correct breaking information, or he hasn't. He has. That's really all that matters.

kstater
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
All 10 schools have signed a six-year grant of rights, which means if a team leaves for another conference and plays on television, the Big 12 gets the money.http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2011/11/02/lots-of-work-left-to-do-for-wvu/

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm inclined to believe that it's a likely scenario even if Mongo is just making it up. I don't see any reason that Texas would want to stay in the Big IIX.

If this does go down, the ACC phone lines will be blowing up with desperate leftover teams.

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm inclined to believe that it's a likely scenario even if Mongo is just making it up. I don't see any reason that Texas would want to stay in the Big IIX.

If this does go down, the ACC phone lines will be blowing up with desperate leftover teams.

duncan_idaho
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2011/11/02/lots-of-work-left-to-do-for-wvu/

That article asserts that all 10 Big IIX teams had signed the grant of rights at the point, but it was posted on November 2 - before Missouri's move to the SEC was announced.

It has been clearly stated by Missouri officials that Mizzou never granted its rights to the Big 12. That means this blog is inaccurate in that at least. What else is wrong? Hard to say how many teams actually signed the grant of rights.

kstater
12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
That article asserts that all 10 Big IIX teams had signed the grant of rights at the point, but it was posted on November 2 - before Missouri's move to the SEC was announced.

It has been clearly stated by Missouri officials that Mizzou never granted its rights to the Big 12. That means this blog is inaccurate in that at least. What else is wrong? Hard to say how many teams actually signed the grant of rights.

It was referring to 9 and 10 being TCU and WVU. Which, as of the meeting on Nov 1, had both been accepted and signed over rights on the day of that article.

I'll bow out of this thread while I watch KSU do their part to win a share of something Missouri hasn't done in 40 years.

DeezNutz
12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
It was referring to 9 and 10 being TCU and WVU. Which, as of the meeting on Nov 1, had both been accepted and signed over rights on the day of that article.

I'll bow out of this thread while I watch KSU do their part to win a share of something Missouri hasn't done in 40 years.

KSU has had a great year, no question. But it will have to be meaningful in the short term for KSU to "share" a conference title with the two teams that beat the Wildcats during conference play.

Clearly, you're on par with OSU and OU this year.

eazyb81
12-03-2011, 01:07 PM

I think it is a mistake to assume he is a Texas Tech insider or even fan just because of his handle. If someone has legit inside info, they are likely to be very careful to not leak their true identity.

How would a Texas Tech insider have such accurate info on Mizzou's move to the SEC, including dates of when Mizzou when hold a press conference? Why would a Tech insider only post this info on a Mizzou board? That doesn't make any sense. TTRaider could just as easily be a higher-up at Mizzou or Texas.

duncan_idaho
12-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Enjoy the Moutain West/CUSA.

LiveSteam
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Did you enjoy that sack

duncan_idaho
12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Did you enjoy that sack

Probably about as much as he enjoyed that TD pass.

Bowser
12-03-2011, 02:00 PM

You mean give a shit what a pissed off K-State fan thinks? *high fives Mizzou fans*

Reaper16
12-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I think it is a mistake to assume he is a Texas Tech insider or even fan just because of his handle. If someone has legit inside info, they are likely to be very careful to not leak their true identity.

How would a Texas Tech insider have such accurate info on Mizzou's move to the SEC, including dates of when Mizzou when hold a press conference? Why would a Tech insider only post this info on a Mizzou board? That doesn't make any sense. TTRaider could just as easily be a higher-up at Mizzou or Texas.
That's reasonable.

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
That's reasonable.

Agreed. I'd put more stock into his posting history than his user name.

Mr. Plow
12-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Wait, I thought Texas wanted to stay in the Big 12 because everyone in the conference did whatever Texas wanted them to do?

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Wait, I thought Texas wanted to stay in the Big 12 because everyone in the conference did whatever Texas wanted them to do?

It's not so great having crappy teams that bring no value doing your bidding. Without Denver, Omaha, Kansas City, Saint Louis, and the aTm fanbase, it's not the same.

Mr. Plow
12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
It's not so great having crappy teams that bring no value doing your bidding. Without Denver, Omaha, Kansas City, Saint Louis, and the aTm fanbase, it's not the same.

That's probably true. I've always thought Texas wanted to be the "big dog" in the conference - not sure that be that going to Pac 12.

Bambi
12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
The only teams that have left conferences are teams that have trouble winning. Not sure Texas sees themselves in that category yet.

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Guess we'll just have to wait several months to find out. Right now, I'll wait for the KSU share of the flag.

kstater
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
The only teams that have left conferences are teams that have trouble winning. Not sure Texas sees themselves in that category yet.

heh

Bambi
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
heh

Today not helping.

Saul Good
12-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Yeah, Boise State, Utah, Nebraska, TCU, etc. have really struggled to win.

KChiefs1
12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Big 12 could have 3 BCS teams this season = OSU, TCU, WVU

KC native
12-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Big 12 could have 3 BCS teams this season = OSU, TCU, WVU

It's going to be an either or for TCU and WVU. I don't think both can make it.

Valiant
12-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Uhh, so having a worse record then the division leader gets you a share now?? Does that mean every team that won a division game gets a little peace?? Or are you meaning something else..

kchero
12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Uhh, so having a worse record then the division leader gets you a share now?? Does that mean every team that won a division game gets a little peace?? Or are you meaning something else..

Looks like okie state just killed his dream of having a pretend shared title. Even if ou would have won kstate was on the outside looking in due to the fact that the two teams they would have been "tied" with would have both beat them head to head.

kstater
12-04-2011, 08:23 AM

If OU had won, KSU would have had a conference title, but they didn't. Consolation prize is BCS bowl. That sucks.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It's going to be an either or for TCU and WVU. I don't think both can make it.

they can. WVU will be the AQ from the Big Least, TCU a black horse at large.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Looks like okie state just killed his dream of having a pretend shared title. Even if ou would have won kstate was on the outside looking in due to the fact that the two teams they would have been "tied" with would have both beat them head to head.

that's not how it works. Just as in basketball, the title is shared amongst all qualifying teams, whether it's 1 or 5.

RustShack
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Isn't the Big12 getting two in this year still? Or is KState not making the cut? I'm pretty sure Oklahoma St. is going to the NC.

mnchiefsguy
12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Isn't the Big12 getting two in this year still? Or is KState not making the cut? I'm pretty sure Oklahoma St. is going to the NC.

You are the only one that seems to think OSU is headed there. Alabama is pretty entrenched in the #2 ranking.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2011, 12:54 PM
If OU had won, KSU would have finished 3rd in the conference since they lost to both OSU an OU.

Sigh.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
If OU had won, KSU would have finished 3rd in the conference since they lost to both OSU an OU.

That's not the way it works.

tredadda
12-04-2011, 02:16 PM

??????? Kansas City? The Big XII still has KC. KU and KSU owns that market according to Jayhawk and Wildcat fans.

Saul Good
12-04-2011, 02:17 PM
??????? Kansas City? The Big XII still has KC. KU and KSU owns that market according to Jayhawk and Wildcat fans.

True. Literally thousands of Kansas football fans showed up at Arrowhead.

DaKCMan AP
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Per WDAE 620: "On Wednesday the Big East is set to announce the addition of national power Boise State, as well as San Diego State, Houston, SMU and UCF for football."

Mr. Plow
12-06-2011, 02:13 PM
That's going to be some long road trips for SDSU.

Discuss Thrower
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Fuck it, just merge the BEast with the MWCUSA. Regionalize them as much as possible and have a two-game conference championship.

Pitt Gorilla
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
The Big 12 will never hold another event in KC, err...

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205342989&DB_OEM_ID=10410

The athletic directors of the eight continuing and two new Big 12 Conference member institutions concluded two days of meetings today in New York City. The annual meeting was held in conjunction with this evening's National Football Foundation Hall of Fame induction banquet.

The ADs discussed football scheduling, the Bowl Championship Series, future television options, and governance matters, while also reaffirming the Big 12's commitment to hosting its men's basketball championship in Kansas City.

"Kansas City has a rich college basketball history," commented Big 12 Conference athletics director chairman and Iowa State University athletics director Jamie Pollard," and remains an attractive destination for our men's championship. It is an integral part of the Big 12 footprint and staging our championship at Sprint Center reinforces the strong presence of the Conference in the greater Kansas City area."

Last month, the Big 12 announced it would host its 2013 and 2014 women's soccer championships at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan. The Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship is scheduled for Kansas City, Mo. through 2014.

eazyb81
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205342989&DB_OEM_ID=10410

The athletic directors of the eight continuing and two new Big 12 Conference member institutions concluded two days of meetings today in New York City. The annual meeting was held in conjunction with this evening's National Football Foundation Hall of Fame induction banquet.

The ADs discussed football scheduling, the Bowl Championship Series, future television options, and governance matters, while also reaffirming the Big 12's commitment to hosting its men's basketball championship in Kansas City.

"Kansas City has a rich college basketball history," commented Big 12 Conference athletics director chairman and Iowa State University athletics director Jamie Pollard," and remains an attractive destination for our men's championship. It is an integral part of the Big 12 footprint and staging our championship at Sprint Center reinforces the strong presence of the Conference in the greater Kansas City area."

Last month, the Big 12 announced it would host its 2013 and 2014 women's soccer championships at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan. The Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship is scheduled for Kansas City, Mo. through 2014.

LMAO

I thought Mizzou leaving the Big 12 was going to cost Kansas City, MO eleventy bajillion dollars?

evenfall
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
LMAO

I thought Mizzou leaving the Big 12 was going to cost Kansas City, MO eleventy bajillion dollars?

Kietzman's head just exploded.

"But whyyyyy? Why would they ever hold a tournament in a state where they have no teeeeeams?"

kstater
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't see where it's staying past the already contracted date. Which I believe was the argument.

Reaper16
12-06-2011, 03:55 PM

LMAO

My reaction to reading that article earlier today was one of absolute excitement for my city. Your reactions were to laugh and gloat about being right over other message board posters.

Fuck you guys.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 03:58 PM
My reaction to reading that article earlier today was one of absolute excitement for my city. Your reactions were to laugh and gloat about being right over other message board posters.

**** you guys.

Maybe he wasn't worried that the doomsday scenarios were going to come to pass.

When the clock struck midnight on January 1st, 2000, my reaction was to laugh at the Y2K chicken little types. It wasn't to squeal with glee because the world didn't fly off its axis.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
STL would never host one.

evenfall
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Fuck you guys.

They just realized this was obviously the case, and laughed at the people who assumed it was going to be armageddon for the economy of Kansas City.

There were also a boatload of KU fans swearing their school wouldn't or shouldn't stand for it, a conference tourney being held in a state where it has no teams.

I guess it could be held in Texas or Oklahoma every year, that would make more sense.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Well it is KANSAS City...

sedated
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
True. Literally thousands of Kansas football fans showed up at Arrowhead.

To avoid seeing the worst team in the sport.

Your argument is the same as a Broncos fan coming in here saying “you guys were blacked out in 2009? I always knew you had no fans.”

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Yep. When an entire state is named after a city in Missouri, it only makes sense that Missouri would get to keep the event even after asking Kansas how our asses taste.

DJ's left nut
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Ah yes, the state so magnificent that they named Kansas City, Missouri after it almost 25 years before the state of Kansas actually existed.

EDIT: Eat me, Saul.

sedated
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM

That’s in Kansas, not Missouri. And pardon me for not cumming in my pants about the conference women’s soccer tournament.

The Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship is scheduled for Kansas City, Mo. through 2014.

and those were already scheduled. Like the Jay Leno line, “I can’t believe we are holding a press conference to celebrate that I’m NOT fired.”

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
To avoid seeing the worst team in the sport.

Your argument is the same as a Broncos fan coming in here saying “you guys were blacked out in 2009? I always knew you had no fans.”

There's a huge difference between sending 66,000 fans (blacked out Chiefs game) and 6,000 fans (KU in the last game against its biggest rival).

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Yep. When an entire state is named after a city in Missouri, it only makes sense that Missouri would get to keep the event even after asking Kansas how our asses taste.

I dunno, I heard you lived in Kansas.

You're a hypocrite of the lowest form.

But eh, whatever. Just like NYC, we build our stadiums in places where the people are dumb enough to pay for it. Sorry Jackson County.

DJ's left nut
12-06-2011, 04:14 PM

But eh, whatever. Just like NYC, we build our stadiums in places where the people are dumb enough to pay for it. Sorry Jackson County.

So the IIX built the Sprint Center now?

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm sorry - are you a fan of the Johnson County Chiefs? LMAO

The good news is Kansas actually has sports of its own now - soccer and NASCAR. Both seem right up your alley. Along with Alphonse the hairdresser.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry - are you a fan of the Johnson County Chiefs? LMAO

The good news is Kansas actually has sports of its own now - soccer and NASCAR. Both seem right up your alley. Along with Alphonse the hairdresser.

Of course I am. We all share different aspects of life in the area.

You live in Kansas and drive over to KCMO for sports. Everyone wins.

Titty Meat
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM

**** you guys.

Detroit has nice sporting venues too.....

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Of course I am. We all share different aspects of life in the area.

You live in Kansas and drive over to KCMO for sports. Everyone wins.

How nice that you support your MISSOURI teams.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM

How does that make me hypocritical? Canada sucks compared to the US, but there are some really nice parts of Canada, and it wouldn't suck living in Canada as long as you live in one of the nice parts with easy access to everything the US has to offer.

Trust me, if you weren't allowed to travel outside your state of residence, I wouldn't live in Kansas.

Pants
12-06-2011, 04:23 PM

They're not Missouri teams, they're KC teams. The only team associated with the state is the one that has the state in its name. Should the Chiefs move across the state line but remain in the metro, you would stop cheering for them?

Ask Saul why he chooses to live in Kansas while claiming Missouri is so much better.

Pants
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
How does that make me hypocritical? Canada sucks compared to the US, but there are some really nice parts of Canada, and it wouldn't suck living in Canada as long as you live in one of the nice parts with easy access to everything the US has to offer.

Trust me, if you weren't allowed to travel outside your state of residence, I wouldn't live in Kansas.

So Missouri has no nice enough parts for you to live in? Or are you saying Kansas has the better "nice parts"? I don't understand your logic.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
They're not Missouri teams, they're KC teams. The only team associated with the state is the one that has the state in its name. Should the Chiefs move across the state line but remain in the metro, you would stop cheering for them?

Ask Saul why he chooses to live in Kansas while claiming Missouri is so much better.

Actually, those teams are in Raytown, MO.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM

yep, that's how it works.

Everyone in NEW York City is a fan of the Buffalo Bills LMAO

Everytime I think you're smart you disappoint me.

Dumb ass

Pants
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, those teams are in Raytown, MO.

Yeap, the Raytown Chiefs and the Raytown Royals. Who hasn't heard of them?

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM

That sounds pretty hollow to me.

GTFO is all I have to say to you.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeap, the Raytown Chiefs and the Raytown Royals. Who hasn't heard of them?

LMAO

You can't be a fan of the team because you don't live in the county!

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
yep, that's how it works.

Everyone in NEW York City is a fan of the Buffalo Bills LMAO

Everytime I think you're smart you disappoint me.

Dumb ass

Kansas City isn't New York, you stupid fuck. Do you think they'd put anything in New Jersey if there was still any room left?

Simple facts. The Chiefs are a Missouri team. The Royals are a Missouri team. Just like the Cardinals and the Rams. And the Tigers. All Missouri teams. Stadiums are Missouri, principal fan bases are in Missouri. Not shit wasteland states that don't rate MLB and NFL teams.

Simple enough even for a window-licking retard like you to understand.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Kansas City isn't New York, you stupid ****. Do you think they'd put anything in New Jersey if there was still any room left?

Simple facts. The Chiefs are a Missouri team. The Royals are a Missouri team. Just like the Cardinals and the Rams. And the Tigers. All Missouri teams. Stadiums are Missouri, principal fan bases are in Missouri. Not shit wasteland states that don't rate MLB and NFL teams.

Simple enough even for a window-licking retard like you to understand.

Give up loser.

You already made yourself look like a pathetic pussy last week.

You're getting off to a great start once again.

buh-bye bitch

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
So Missouri has no nice enough parts for you to live in? Or are you saying Kansas has the better "nice parts"? I don't understand your logic.

If you don't understand that a small subset of a large set may not share all of the general attributes of the large set, then don't bother trying to figure out the logic.

Kansas is a flat state. Colorado is not. Yet there are parts of Kansas that are at higher elevations than some parts of Colorado.

If someone doesn't like mountains, it doesn't mean that he would be better off living on Mount Sunflower instead of in Wray, CO just because, as a whole, Colorado is more mountainous than Kansas.

eazyb81
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM

**** you guys.

God you are such a fucking little baby.

Buck
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
While the rest of you are bitching about god knows what, I'm here to bitch about SDSU's move to the Big East.

It's football only. It's an increase of $2 million in TV revenue, and it's not until 2013. Coincidentally, 2013 is the year that a lot of people are estimating will be the last year of the Big East's AQ status in the BCS.

Being football only, the rest of the schools programs can't move to the Big East (not that they probably wanted to anyway). The Mountain West already set precedent by kicking BYU's sports programs out of the conference once BYU Football went independent. So now, the rest of our programs are going to move to the Big West, which consists of teams like Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Fullerton, UC Davis, UC Riverside, etc.

This is horrible for our basketball program. We've started getting commits from 4 and 5 star recruits, but I'm pretty sure you can throw those out the window now.

It sucks.

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Give up loser.

You already made yourself look like a pathetic pussy last week.

You're getting off to a great start once again.

buh-bye bitch

You mean the part where I played your bitch ass like a grand piano and laughed while doing it? LMAO

Pants
If you don't understand that a small subset of a large set may not share all of the general attributes of the large set, then don't bother trying to figure out the logic.

Kansas is a flat state. Colorado is not. Yet there are parts of Kansas that are at higher elevations than some parts of Colorado.

If someone doesn't like mountains, it doesn't mean that he would be better off living on Mount Sunflower instead of in Wray, CO just because, as a whole, Colorado is more mountainous than Kansas.

So you're saying that the best Kansas has to offer is better than the best Missouri has to offer?

Saul Good
That sounds pretty hollow to me.

GTFO is all I have to say to you.

Wait, you live in a shitty apartment near NYC, right? Who is the hypocrite?

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
You mean the part where I played your bitch ass like a grand piano and laughed while doing it? LMAO

The only people laughing were doing so at you.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM

I love New York. I don't talk like it's some wasteland.

How are you not grasping your contradiction?

Reaper16
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe he wasn't worried that the doomsday scenarios were going to come to pass.

When the clock struck midnight on January 1st, 2000, my reaction was to laugh at the Y2K chicken little types. It wasn't to squeal with glee because the world didn't fly off its axis.
This isn't a binary. Not everyone that was worried about the economic impact to KC was on some Keitzman-level cartoon meltdown. Losing the tourney was a legitimate concern.

As to your analogy: I don't rep the world. I rep Kansas City.

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
The only people laughing were doing so at you.

When I goad you into banning yourself for my own amusement, it's really only my laughter that concerns me.

baitism
12-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Right down the street from his favorite bar, The Blue Oyster.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
So you're saying that the best Kansas has to offer is better than the best Missouri has to offer?

Are you under the impression that I live in the most expensive residence in Kansas or Missouri? I don't.

I live in a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The fact that Kansas City, MO spilled over into Kansas and created a nice place to live in an otherwise crappy state is really incidental to Kansas.

I put a lot of work into my lawn. My neighbor's lawn is shit. Sometimes, my nice grass grows across the property line and gives him a really nice patch of grass. that patch in his yard may be nicer than some problem areas in my yard. That doesn't mean that his yard, as a whole, is nicer than my lawn.

Pants
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Are you under the impression that I live in the most expensive residence in Kansas or Missouri? I don't.

I live in a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The fact that Kansas City, MO spilled over into Kansas and created a nice place to live in an otherwise crappy state is really incidental to Kansas.

I put a lot of work into my lawn. My neighbor's lawn is shit. Sometimes, my nice grass grows across the property line and gives him a really nice patch of grass. that patch in his yard may be nicer than some problem areas in my yard. That doesn't mean that his yard, as a whole, is nicer than my lawn.

You don't need to give me another analogy, I understand your point that you think Missouri is nicer overall than Kansas. That's nice and you're entitled to your opinion. I was just curious why you choose to live in Kansas, that's all.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM

You don't need to give me another analogy, I understand your point that you think Missouri is nicer overall than Kansas. That's nice and you're entitled to your opinion. I was just curious why you choose to live in Kansas, that's all.

I chose to live in a suburb of Kansas City. The fact that it happens to be barely within the borders of Kansas is of little consequence. My location is more impacted by the good things in KCMO much more than by the wasteland to the West. Otherwise, I wouldn't live here.

Bambi
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Dude, just give up. There are people on this board that are here to try and divide us...nothing more.

The fact that they are being made the bitch by the southern wing of their state is only feeding into their trolling.

The other fact that the two biggest shit talkers don't even live in the state they are trying to prop up is all the evidence you need.

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Nothing new here, I just read the last three pages and they are like the first 99.

Pants
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I chose to live in a suburb of Kansas City. The fact that it happens to be barely within the borders of Kansas is of little consequence. My location is more impacted by the good things in KCMO much more than by the wasteland to the West. Otherwise, I wouldn't live here.

But aren't there suburbs on the other side of Kansas City?

Frazod
12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Nothing new here, I just read the last three pages and they are like the first 99.

Yeah, pretty much. I had put it on ignore a month ago, but ignored threads still pop in the "last post" box, and I had forgotten about ignoring it, so I posted.

I was then a bit confused when I couldn't find it on the list, but then I remembered.

I should probably put it back on ignore. :D

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2011, 05:15 PM
The fact that they are being made the bitch by the southern wing of their state is only feeding into their trolling.

Yeah the least populated area of the state is controlling the decisions of the two big metro areas. Man you are a delliusional douchebag.

evenfall
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Ah, nothing like watching rival fans go at it. Clearly there is still plenty of animosity. It's too bad one of these schools is afraid of scheduling the other any longer.

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Yes, Forsyth and Purdy and Poplar Bluff dominate the political landscape of the state of Missouri. I was crushed to find out that I got exactly what I was cheering for.

KC native
12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
While the rest of you are bitching about god knows what, I'm here to bitch about SDSU's move to the Big East.

It's football only. It's an increase of $2 million in TV revenue, and it's not until 2013. Coincidentally, 2013 is the year that a lot of people are estimating will be the last year of the Big East's AQ status in the BCS.

Being football only, the rest of the schools programs can't move to the Big East (not that they probably wanted to anyway). The Mountain West already set precedent by kicking BYU's sports programs out of the conference once BYU Football went independent. So now, the rest of our programs are going to move to the Big West, which consists of teams like Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Fullerton, UC Davis, UC Riverside, etc.

This is horrible for our basketball program. We've started getting commits from 4 and 5 star recruits, but I'm pretty sure you can throw those out the window now.

It sucks.

You could always try the self invite yourself to the big 12 route like SMU did. It might work out for you guys. :shrug:

Seriously though, I knew SDSU would get fucked in the realignments. I actually feel bad for you guys. Fuck Boise though.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes, Forsyth and Purdy and Poplar Bluff dominate the political landscape of the state of Missouri. I was crushed to find out that I got exactly what I was cheering for.

Not to mention the largest city in southern Missouri isn't exactly Mizzou's big hot bed either.

VonneMarie
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
But aren't there suburbs on the other side of Kansas City?
No

Pitt Gorilla
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
SEC Tournament to KC?

Also, Alabama to play in Missouri SOON?

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1308305

HURT: Expansion brings new markets
Cecil Hurt
TideSports.com Editor

As the interminable wait for the BCS championship game nears a more-manageable three-week countdown, there has been a window of opportunity to do a few different things - including the new territory that has been annexed into the Southeastern Conference.

Fortuitously, the University of Alabama basketball team was in Kansas City on Saturday (although not playing one of their future SEC brethren), which created a golden opportunity to look at the new western border of the league.

Technically, one could argue SEC territory stretches all the west to El Paso now (although I am not sure how strong the Aggie sentiment is in that community.) It's more instructive to consider the league's new territory as extending to a line down from Kansas City, through Fayetteville and into the Dallas and Houston megalopolises (or is it megalopoli?).

Those (and St. Louis) are the vaunted "new television" markets. Whether Kansas City is Missouri Tiger territory is another question - Kansas is far closer and there is a pervasive Jayhawk feel, or it seemed so to me.

Without belaboring points that have already been made about the cultural ties between this area and the South - yes, there are a lot of good barbecue places here - it is clear Kansas City is a sports town. The Chiefs are the clear heroes here, even in a dismal coach-fired year.

The most recognizable Alabama football names, perhaps even ahead of Nick Saban, are Javy Arenas and Wallace Gilberry. There's another Alabama link.

The big mural downtown at the Sprint Center is sports-related and features the legendary pitcher of the Kansas City Monarchs, Satchel Paige (from, you guessed it, Mobile, Alabama.) The point isn't to find every minuscule thread that leads back to Alabama. It's just to note Kansas City - and perhaps most of Missouri, outside of St. Louis - has proven college sports interest and should be fertile ground for the SEC.

Alabama football fans may get a chance to test that, more quickly than expected. Nothing official has been released concerning the expansion-altered SEC football schedule for 2012, but it would not surprise me if Alabama's first visit to Missouri comes sooner rather than later. It could come much sooner. Much, much sooner. Take that in the spirit of a Christmas hint.

There is also a solid chance the SEC basketball tournament will be coming to Kansas City in a few years - Missouri certainly wants it to be played in the Sprint Center - and that wouldn't be terrible.

The arena is the hub of the Power & Light district downtown and it would be roughly similar to having the tournament in Nashville. The difference, of course, is it wouldn't be centrally located, and the crowd would be primarily Kentucky fans, sprinkled with Arkansas and Missouri. Face it, if the SEC Tournament were held in Anchorage, it would be "primarily Kentucky fans."

Certainly, expansion has its pros and cons, and it will be hotly debated again as soon as the new 2012 football schedule comes out. After all, you can't please everyone. But Texas A&M and Missouri are fine schools, and if growth was inevitable - and perhaps it was - there are certainly worse places to grow.

Cecil Hurt is sports editor of The Tuscaloosa News. Reach Cecil Hurt at cecil.hurt@tuscaloosanews.com or 205-722-0225.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 11:11 AM
So now KU is running commercials on 810 trying to lay calim to KANSAS City. They are like a fucking Chihuahua pissing on every tree in the neighborhood.

Hey Kansas. The rest of the local schools are a combined 4-0 in Kansas City this year. You are 0-2.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 11:11 AM
So now KU is running commercials on 810 trying to lay calim to KANSAS City. They are like a fucking Chihuahua pissing on every tree in the neighborhood.

Hey Kansas. The rest of the local schools are a combined 4-0 in Kansas City this year. You are 0-2.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
So now KU is running commercials on 810 trying to lay calim to KANSAS City. They are like a ****ing Chihuahua pissing on every tree in the neighborhood.

If there is a year to jump on Kansas to feel better about yourself...this IS the year.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 11:26 AM
If there is a year to jump on Kansas to feel better about yourself...this IS the year.

Considering the fact that KU is 0-for-the-year against Mizzou when it comes to athletic competition of any kind at the halfway point (end of first semester), I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Considering the fact that KU is 0-for-the-year against Mizzou when it comes to athletic competition of any kind at the halfway point (end of first semester), I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement.

Enjoy it.

Pants
12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I hope they keep doing just so I can see Saul Good wail like a bitch. LMAO

Bambi
12-21-2011, 11:39 AM

The only trophies you care about are the ones you get for beating KU?

KU aims higher I suppose.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I hope they keep doing just so I can see Saul Good wail like a bitch. LMAO

I hope they keep doing it too. Every time I see one of those billboards, I smile thinking of KU flailing around trying to feel important. Then I think about the 6,000 Kansas fans that showed up to Arrowhead to watch their team get beat yet again, and my smile becomes a laugh.

Bambi
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope they keep doing it too. Every time I see one of those billboards, I smile thinking of KU flailing around trying to feel important. Then I think about the 6,000 Kansas fans that showed up to Arrowhead to watch their team get beat yet again, and my smile becomes a laugh.

Really? I thought it was quite effective.

The coach nearly beat mu and still got fired. People not showing up to the game was a clear sign that they wanted a change. No matter how the game went.

That and all the dollars that have been brought in to hire Weis and get rid of Gill.

KU is in fine position. The media blitz has been as expected. missouri has abandoned Kansas City, why not cement your standing here locally?

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Yes.

The way MU manhandled a very good KU defense all game is something to smile about.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
You Kansas fans are adorable. A 14 point loss = "nearly beat MU".

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM

Regardless of the final deficit. It was an exciting game for us adorable fans.

Most football programs...good or bad...can hang 4-5 TDs on KU by halftime.

We weren't use to holding a football team to 3 pts at halftime with our inept defense.

Congrats.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:10 PM

You're the one who's got his panties in a bunch over some stupid ad campaign, champ.

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 12:14 PM

LMAO

Considering that KU was beaten by 30+ points 6 times during the season, then leading at halftime, to only losing by 14 points to the powerhouse MU. Again, good job on barely beating the worst team in the country.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
You're the one who's got his panties in a bunch over some stupid ad campaign, champ.

May your ad campaign in Kansas City be as successful as your athletic competitions in KC have been this season.

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
May your ad campaign in Kansas City be as successful as your athletic competitions in KC have been this season.

I'm sure the tens of hundreds of fans have enjoyed your success.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm sure the tens of hundreds of fans have enjoyed your success.

I was one of 40,000 who enjoyed watching them win at Arrowhead and one of 22,000 who enjoyed watching them win at the Sprint Center. Thanks

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I was one of 40,000 who enjoyed watching them win at Arrowhead and one of 22,000 who enjoyed watching them win at the Sprint Center. Thanks

I love combining attendances from multiple games. HAY GUYZ I WAS ONE OF THE 200,000 TO ENJOY WATCHING KU WIN!

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
LMAO

Considering that KU was beaten by 30+ points 6 times during the season, then leading at halftime, to only losing by 14 points to the powerhouse MU. Again, good job on barely beating the worst team in the country.

Good job on clearly being the worst team in the country.

Bambi
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM

And yet here you are. Completely focused on what Kansas does..... day in, and day out

Your envy is fascinating

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM

We know what we are, we're are trying to fix it now. :D

Mr. Plow

"But it's a holiday week"
"It's deer season"
"Walmart is having a sale"
"People won't travel to 2 hours KC to watch a game"
"People won't go to games in Columbia because the opponent isn't good"

So, which excuse is it now?

Bambi
Well provided they have a state of 8 million people and Kansas has less than 3 million and has to split their fanbase with another BCS level institution I would hope mu could get a couple more fans out to the games.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
MU fans are atrocious. Avg attendance for abysmal KU football > avg attendance for top 10 MU basketball.

Average attendance for KU football > average attendance for a KU basketball game

Our apples are redder than your oranges /KU fan

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm amazed that 6,000 or 8,000 KU fans went to the MU/KU game after what was called a football team put on display this year.

Saulbadguy
12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
lulz, you guys both suck

DJ's left nut
Good call on deleting that one, Pants.

It was Wickeson-esque in its logic; borderline Stewie in nature.

MU fans are even disappointed in the basketball attendance right now, but that's just the way it is. We're not a basketball school, it's not a blue-blood basketball program and folks just aren't going to drive from KC and STL to see them play a weak-sister on a Wednesday.

It's annoying, but your 'point', such as it was, was pretty damn stupid.

Mr. Plow
Well provided they have a state of 8 million people and Kansas has less than 3 million and has to split their fanbase with another BCS level institution I would hope mu could get a couple more fans out to the games.

Columbia is in the middle of the state. St. Louis & KC don't want to travel there to watch games.

Pants
"But it's a holiday week"
"It's deer season"
"Walmart is having a sale"
"People won't travel to 2 hours KC to watch a game"
"People won't go to games in Columbia because the opponent isn't good"

So, which excuse is it now?

The funniest part was Saul Good saying that people don't want to travel to Columbia for a bball game only for the fans to post abysmal attendance numbers in KC. LMAO

Columbia, much like Kansas City must just be a Kansas town.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Good call on deleting that one, Pants.

It was Wickeson-esque in its logic; borderline Stewie in nature.

MU fans are even disappointed in the basketball attendance right now, but that's just the way it is. We're not a basketball school, it's not a blue-blood basketball program and folks just aren't going to drive from KC and STL to see them play a weak-sister on a Wednesday.

It's annoying, but your 'point', such as it was, was pretty damn stupid.

Ehh, it was what it was. MU fans are terrible and the players know it and they have expressed their feelings on the subject. There are no baketball/football schools, there are just schools, fans and students. Alabama was filling their basketball arena FFS.

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
The funniest part was Saul Good saying that people don't want to travel to Columbia for a bball game only for the fans to post abysmal attendance numbers in KC. LMAO

I'd honestly expect KU to have better KC #'s than MU because of how close Lawrence is - but what got me going WTF was seeing the attendance for games in Columbia for a top 15 team.

Bambi
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM

I've never been to Columbia. Is it fun?

DJ's left nut

They're a state of 8 million people with 6 professional sports teams and 2 major metropolitan areas that provide a hell of a lot of options for finite entertainment dollars.

Kansans, on the other hand, define themselves by their basketball team.

Nobody's ever argued that KU fans aren't more rabid over basketball than MU fans. They undeniably are.

The problem is that KU Basketball is pretty much all that God-forsaken state has going for it.

Bambi
I'd honestly expect KU to have better KC #'s than MU because of how close Lawrence is - but what got me going WTF was seeing the attendance for games in Columbia for a top 15 team.

All the fans are packing for Shrevport?

Bambi
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
They're a state of 8 million people with 6 professional sports teams and 2 major metropolitan areas that provide a hell of a lot of options for finite entertainment dollars.

Nobody's ever argued that KU fans aren't more rabid over basketball than MU fans. They undeniably are.

The problem is that KU Basketball is pretty much all that God-forsaken state has going for it.

You don't think Kansas fans are distracted by the professional teams in Kansas City?

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I've never been to Columbia. Is it fun?

I've only been there for KU football games and those were in late fall so the town seemed really ugly to me. It's a college town, though, so of course it's fun.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Ehh, it was what it was. MU fans are terrible and the players know it and they have expressed their feelings on the subject. There are no baketball/football schools, there are just schools, fans and students. Alabama was filling their basketball arena FFS.

Huh?

Don't you fellas call yourselves a basketball school all the damn time?

And Mizzou was filling its arena last year as well; we ended up in the top 40 I believe in National attendance last season.

Annually, Mizzou does a nice job with attendance. Everyone's kinda puzzled about the low turnout right now, but it's pretty novel.

MU fans are historically very good and they will be good again. I think folks are still just shaking off the 'pissed' over the entire offseason with the basketball program, from Suitcase Mike to the coaching debacle.

It will come around; it always has.

But keep on running nonsensical 'fansmack' if it makes you feel any better. It really is about the only thing you fellas have going for you right now.

I mean apart from reminding us how little you care about us and all...

Saul Good

Columbia is a two hour trip from Kansas City. People from KC don't tend to drive 2 hours to watch the Tigers play basketball games against cupcakes on a Tuesday during football season.

Using the transitive property, Kansas City is the same 2 hour distance from Columbia, and the same holds true.

I guess when you're 0-2 in Kansas City while the other local teams are 4-0, pointing to attendance numbers of other schools while excusing the fact that your own school put 6,000 fans in Arrowhead makes more sense than comparing scoreboards.

Reerun_KC

Shreveport anyone?

Pants

Ahhh, but of course... we have better things to do excuse.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I guess when you're 0-2 in Kansas City while the other local teams are 4-0, pointing to attendance numbers of other schools while excusing the fact that your own school put 6,000 fans in Arrowhead makes more sense than comparing scoreboards.

Why are you so butt hurt over the name of a metropolitan area?

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Columbia is a two hour trip from Kansas City. People from KC don't tend to drive 2 hours to watch the Tigers play basketball games against cupcakes on a Tuesday during football season.

Using the transitive property, Kansas City is the same 2 hour distance from Columbia, and the same holds true.

We'll compare scoreboards after we play each other, I see no reason to compare anything at this point. And I wasn't taking about other schools, I was only talking about the shitty MU fans. KSU fasns have been good about supporting their school since OBZ first made his way over there.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM

That's not true. Parts of Kansas are very close to Kansas City, Missouri which is pretty much the best part about Kansas.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Blah blah blah. KU had more fans in freaking Hawaii than MU did in Columbia. LMAO

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Ahhh, but of course... we have better things to do excuse.

I don't see it as ringing any more hollow than the "our football team sucks so we don't go" excuse.

Same song, different verse.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Shreveport anyone?

I'll make a deal with you. If Mizzou only has 6,000 fans at the game and then launches an ad campaign claiming that Shreveport, LA is Mizzou country, you can have my signature line.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:47 PM
That's not true. Parts of Kansas are very close to Kansas City, Missouri which is pretty much the best part about Kansas.

This the guy who chooses to live in Kansas talking, BTW. How come you don't live on the MO side of the KC metro? I still don't get it.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
We'll compare scoreboards after we play each other, I see no reason to compare anything at this point. And I wasn't taking about other schools, I was only talking about the shitty MU fans. KSU fasns have been good about supporting their school since OBZ first made his way over there.

Why do we keep swapping sports again?

Mizzou's football attendance ranks nationally every year. This year was no exception.

Our basketball attendance usually does as well and for reasons that folks in Columbia remain stumped about, isn't doing well this season.

It must be because we're all terrified by the Charlie Wies hire. I think that makes enough sense to fit into the logic that's been tossed around here this morning.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't see it as ringing any more hollow than the "our football team sucks so we don't go" excuse.

No, not really. People get tired of watching their team get blown out by 5+ TDs over and over and over. The fact that tens of thousands still showed up to the Memorial Stadium is a testament to the KU fan's resolve.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Blah blah blah. KU had more fans in freaking Hawaii than MU did in Columbia. LMAO

I'll bet they were pissed when they found out the gym only seated 2,500 people. If they wanted to travel in order to watch their team lose, they should have gone to the Davidson game or the game at Arrowhead.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Why do we keep swapping sports again?

Mizzou's football attendance ranks nationally every year. This year was no exception.

Our basketball attendance usually does as well and for reasons that folks in Columbia remain stumped about, isn't doing well this season.

It must be because we're all terrified by the Charlie Wies hire. I think that makes enough sense to fit into the logic that's been tossed around here this morning.

Saul Good was the one who brought up the records in KC. Kansas has played two games in KC: one was against MU at Arrowhead and the other was against Davidson at the Sprint Center. Last I checked, they don't play football inside the Sprint Center.

Dexter Manley
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Question - who will win the SEC in sport XXXXXX?

Answer - "the Tigers"

a 3 in 14 shot with Auburn, LSU, and Mizzou

Dexter Manley
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Question - who will win the SEC in sport XXXXXX?

Answer - "the Tigers"

a 3 in 14 shot with Auburn, LSU, and Mizzou

doomy3
12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
This the guy who chooses to live in Kansas talking, BTW. How come you don't live on the MO side of the KC metro? I still don't get it.

That's a pretty dumb argument. I live on the Missouri fan and am a KU fan. Don't really see why that matters.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
No, not really. People get tired of watching their team get blown out by 5+ TDs over and over and over. The fact that tens of thousands still showed up to the Memorial Stadium is a testament to the KU fan's resolve.

Or the fact that college kids love getting drunk in the parking lot, stumbling into the stadium then leaving at half-time. Do you think you guys were at 20% capacity by the end of most of those games? Resolve my ass; they went to the parking lot at half, drank more and decided not to go back in. Die-hards indeed.

Give me a break.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

When I think of "resolve" I think of the unwaivering support of KU football fans.

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

It's an excuse, but a real one. Nobody wants to pay to see a shitty product. I wouldn't pay to see a shitty movie, I won't pay to see a shitty football team....and you can tell I'm not alone by looking at Arrowhead on your tv on Sundays.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll bet they were pissed when they found out the gym only seated 2,500 people. If they wanted to travel in order to watch their team lose, they should have gone to the Davidson game or the game at Arrowhead.
Sprint Center was sold out for the Davidson game and we did win a couple of games in Maui, champ.

ChiefsCountry
12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Or the fact that college kids love getting drunk in the parking lot, stumbling into the stadium then leaving at half-time. Do you think you guys were at 20% capacity by the end of most of those games? Resolve my ass; they went to the parking lot at half, drank more and decided not to go back in. Die-hards indeed.

Give me a break.

Americans just love football. Hell Missouri State for our shitty 2-9 I-AA team averaged around 12k for our football games.

Pants
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
That's a pretty dumb argument. I live on the Missouri fan and am a KU fan. Don't really see why that matters.

Do you talk incessant shit on the state of MO? I don't think you were following the conversation too closely. I never stipulated anything of the sort you seem to be implying.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Saul Good was the one who brought up the records in KC. Kansas has played two games in KC: one was against MU at Arrowhead and the other was against Davidson at the Sprint Center. Last I checked, they don't play football inside the Sprint Center.

So citing K-States attendance since OBz arrived isn't flipping sports?

(WTF doe they call him OBz for anyway?)

This argument is just asinine. You folks have been trying to make it in about 10 different ways since the start of the football season when it was apparent that there were no legitimate arguments to make.

It was patently ridiculous when you were trying to do it then and it's nearly as stupid now.

Fansmack is just pretty much the last resort of schools that haven't won a conference game in 24 months and just got done losing to Davidson. It's also best left in the hands of useful idiots like Stewie and Wickedson.

But again - you guys forgot all about MU already, right?

Pants
When I think of "resolve" I think of the unwaivering support of KU football fans.

You don't think that thousands showing up to a game they know will be a blow out is a sign of unwavering support?

doomy3
Do you talk incessant shit on the state of MO? I don't think you were following the conversation too closely. I never stipulated anything of the sort you seem to be implying.

No, I admittedly am not following the conversation closely at all. Just read that post, and thought it sounded weird. Carry on.

Saulbadguy
12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

This argument is just asinine. You folks have been trying to make it in about 10 different ways since the start of the football season when it was apparent that there were no legitimate arguments to make.

It was patently ridiculous when you were trying to do it then and it's nearly as stupid now.

Fansmack is just pretty much the last resort of schools that haven't won a conference game in 24 months and just got done losing to Davidson. It's also best left in the hands of useful idiots like Stewie and Wickedson.

OBz= OLD BALLZ

teedubya
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
OBz= OLD BALLZ

LMAO

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 01:06 PM
It's an excuse, but a real one. Nobody wants to pay to see a shitty product. I wouldn't pay to see a shitty movie, I won't pay to see a shitty football team....and you can tell I'm not alone by looking at Arrowhead on your tv on Sundays.

You're aware that watching MU roll a cupcake by 45 points is a shitty product, right?

I've been to 3 games, all of them massacres. By the end of the game, you're just sitting around eating stale nachos and waiting for the Antlers to start their scoreboard chant.

Ass-kickings are dull. Hell, close games against lousy opponents are bad too because it usually means your guys spent 40 minutes kicking the ball around.

Expectations from the fanbase going into the season were as low as I can remember since the first year of Anderson's tenure. That drove the early-season attendance woes. Then the early-season patsies had a lot of people not believing in the team when the CBE started and they beat some quality opponents.

Since then, it's just been another run of crappy teams they've played (though the attendance at MSG was actually pretty solid for Mizzou).

Playing crappy teams is a shitty product. I'll be far more concerned with the attendance if folks are still staying away during conference season. Over the last several years, that hasn't been the case. We didn't have the longest home winning streak in the conference for no reason; Mizzou fans are historically very good fans.

We'll see if the trend holds out or if it's something we should be concerned about in a few weeks.

Pants
12-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Old Ballz

And yeah, I'm not really discussing sports here, I'm discussing fanbases. MU fanbase = not good.

So MU fans have never started with fansmack? I'm pretty sure you guys have and I'm pretty sure you guys have won a conference game in the last 24 months and had not at the time just got done losing to Davidson.

And we will never really need a last resort, we can hang our hats on that big ass trophy case that's pretty much full. :)

Mr. Plow
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
You're aware that watching MU roll a cupcake by 45 points is a shitty product, right?

I've been to 3 games, all of them massacres. By the end of the game, you're just sitting around eating stale nachos and waiting for the Antlers to start their scoreboard chant.

Ass-kickings are dull. Hell, close games against lousy opponents are bad too because it usually means your guys spent 40 minutes kicking the ball around.

Expectations from the fanbase going into the season were as low as I can remember since the first year of Anderson's tenure. That drove the early-season attendance woes. Then the early-season patsies had a lot of people not believing in the team when the CBE started and they beat some quality opponents.

Since then, it's just been another run of crappy teams they've played (though the attendance at MSG was actually pretty solid for Mizzou).

Playing crappy teams is a shitty product. I'll be far more concerned with the attendance if folks are still staying away during conference season. Over the last several years, that hasn't been the case. We didn't have the longest home winning streak in the conference for no reason; Mizzou fans are historically very good fans.

We'll see if the trend holds out or if it's something we should be concerned about in a few weeks.

So, it's not ok for KU fans to not want to watch that football game, but it is ok for MU fans to not want to watch any of the basketball games....gotcha.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 01:14 PM
KU fans prior to 2011: Hey Mizzou fans, your basketball attendance sucks.

MU fans prior to 2011: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

KU fans prior to 2011: Bullshit. You're just saying that because your team isn't as good as ours. If your team was better, you'd care.

~~~Mizzou goes 11-0 to start the season and is ranked in the top 10 while KU is 7-3 and ranked behind Mizzou~~~

Kansas fans: Your basketball attendance sucks even though your team is better than ours.

MU fans: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

Anyone with a brain: I guess Mizzou fans meant what they said prior to 2011 and. Kansas fans were wrong. Why do they keep talking shit?

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 01:14 PM

MU fans prior to 2011: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

KU fans prior to 2011: Bullshit. You're just saying that because your team isn't as good as ours. If your team was better, you'd care.

~~~Mizzou goes 11-0 to start the season and is ranked in the top 10 while KU is 7-3 and ranked behind Mizzou~~~

Kansas fans: Your basketball attendance sucks even though your team is better than ours.

MU fans: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

Anyone with a brain: I guess Mizzou fans meant what they said prior to 2011 and. Kansas fans were wrong. Why do they keep talking shit?

Bambi
12-21-2011, 01:16 PM

You should probably get a better football team then if it's that important to you.

Pitt Gorilla
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Marcus Denmon, Michael Dixon, and Steve Moore are great examples of what Kansas City means to Mizzou and vice versa.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
So, it's not ok for KU fans to not want to watch that football game, but it is ok for MU fans to not want to watch any of the basketball games....gotcha.

So now you're comparing non-conference basketball games against Northeast Cupcake Polytech to conference football games against your biggest rival?

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM

I have said repeatedly that most MU fans, myself included, are disappointed in the attendance thus far.

It's not my fault you're unable to grapple with a working definition of the work 'excuse'.

I'm not attempting to excuse the MU attendance, I'm attempting to explain it.

And again - I'm not the one running fansmack here.

Frazod
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
FWIW, I think it's great that the Missouri basketball team is doing so well this year, but I still don't like basketball.

Football
Baseball
everything else

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 01:25 PM
You should probably get a better football team then if it's that important to you.

It's hard to get better when your biggest rivalry game is the worst team in major conference football. I mean, when you circle the Jayhawks on the schedule, its hard to get players to work to get better.

Thanks for your concern. You'll be happy to know that we have taken steps to resolve this problem. What's more is that, a few years from now, no BCS teams will have to worry about playing conference games against KU. That will be the MWC's problem.

Pants
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
It's hard to get better when your biggest rivalry game is the worst team in major conference football. I mean, when you circle the Jayhawks on the schedule, its hard to get players to work to get better.

Thanks for your concern. You'll be happy to know that we have taken steps to resolve this problem. What's more is that, a few years from now, no BCS teams will have to worry about playing conference games against KU. That will be the MWC's problem.

Yeah, the last 3 years have been pretty bad over here. I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed. Not having enough TVs, though, that part might be kind of rough. I have no doubt that KU can be as good at football as MU with the right coaching hire. We could never match schools with tradition (like Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc) but we can certainly match MU.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Awwww.....thanks, LSU

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401702_313171042038055_107575942597567_1057030_1191459456_n.jpg

I'm sure UT did that when we were in the Cotton Bowl, right?

Pretty class move from LSU to get their local fanbase excited about the new kids.

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Awwww.....thanks, LSU

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401702_313171042038055_107575942597567_1057030_1191459456_n.jpg

I'm sure UT did that when we were in the Cotton Bowl, right?

Pretty class move from LSU to get their local fanbase excited about the new kids.

Texas did the same thing, but their mascot was facing the other direction and holding up a different finger in the photo.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
ROFL

eazyb81
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.tigerboard.com/uimages/user24363_1.jpg

Frazod
12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
That's pretty cool.

I doubt if they'll be quite so cordial the first time we play them, though. %(/

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
That's pretty cool.

I doubt if they'll be quite so cordial the first time we play them, though. %(/

I hope not.

Opposing fans are only friendly when they kick your ass. If you walk out of there with a W, you're best served to keep your head down, get in your car and get gone.

Well, unless they're Baylor fans. Those guys just seem to be dicks either way. Fuck Baylor fans, man.

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
When I was in the deep south recently, it was widely understood that LSU at night is the best atmosphere/ but LSU also has the worst fans. (Pissing on people wearing opposing team's gear and such.)

Saulbadguy
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Southern people are incredibly stupid.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
When I was in the deep south recently, it was widely understood that LSU at night is the best atmosphere/ but LSU also has the worst fans. (Pissing on people wearing opposing team's gear and such.)

Yeah, I've heard LSU fans can be absolute pricks.

Then again, it's Louisiana. That place pretty much sucks in general.

I think I'll go once just to say I went, but LSU isn't exactly high on my list of desired destinations.

Frazod
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Southern people are incredibly stupid.

Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I've heard LSU fans can be absolute pricks.

Then again, it's Louisiana. That place pretty much sucks in general.

I think I'll go once just to say I went, but LSU isn't exactly high on my list of desired destinations.

I'm told its a must experience. Just don't wear Mizzou gear to the game.

Reaper16
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
LSU fans are awesome. They have more fun than just about anyone.

BourbonMan
12-25-2011, 10:47 AM
It's funny how KU says it really doesn't care about MIZZOU leaving...but yet they are going to rename a street.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/dec/25/mizzou-revenge/?opinion

Bambi
12-25-2011, 11:25 AM
It's funny how KU says it really doesn't care about MIZZOU leaving...but yet they are going to rename a street.

You just linked to an article that is stating that the names of streets in Lawrence are named after how the states entered the union. That they have nothing to do with football. Good job, lol

teedubya
12-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I say change it, get rid of anything Missouri! Win

Ebolapox
12-25-2011, 12:44 PM

including the chiefs? ok then. I'm with you at the moment, fuck the chiefs.

Bowser
12-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Y U MAD BRO

Saul Good
12-25-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm with you. I don't want Missouri associated in any way with the shitfest that is Jayhawk football.

BourbonMan
12-25-2011, 10:04 PM
You just linked to an article that is stating that the names of streets in Lawrence are named after how the states entered the union. That they have nothing to do with football. Good job, lol

No shit...Your right, the streets have nothing to do with football....but because KU is so Buthurt that Mizzou is leaving, they are thinking about changing the street name....But your right it has nothing to do with football.

Also, it figures you would be the first to respond!!!!

Brock
12-25-2011, 10:12 PM

We aren't going to rename a street. We're going to rename a portion of a street after a recently deceased former KU coach. And it isn't going to be Missouri street that's renamed. So no, we really don't care about Missouri leaving.

kchero
12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Fambrough's record was 37-48-5, so if Charlie boy gets KU football to a record above .500 are they going to name a Culver's or something after him? :D

Bambi
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
No shit...Your right, the streets have nothing to do with football....but because KU is so Buthurt that Mizzou is leaving, they are thinking about changing the street name....But your right it has nothing to do with football.

Also, it figures you would be the first to respond!!!!

Wow. You do understand the differnce between the actions of a city and a public comment on a newspaper website don't you?

Saul Good
12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Did anyone catch Mack Brown's comments at halftime of last night's Texas/Cal abortion? It was something along the lines of "if this was an SEC game, people would be calling it great defense".

What a joke.

Saul Good
12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Did anyone catch Mack Brown's comments at halftime of last night's Texas/Cal abortion? It was something along the lines of "if this was an SEC game, people would be calling it great defense".

What a joke.

Saul Good
12-31-2011, 01:03 PM
The new members of the SEC are looking good. Mizzou rolled UNC, and aTm is rolling Northwestern.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2011, 01:17 PM
UNC is terrible.

Saul Good
12-31-2011, 01:21 PM
UNC is terrible.

They had the 14th ranked defense in the country, but they sure didn't look like it when we scored 31 straight points in the first half before putting in all of our seniors later in the game. That was a pretty cool move by Pinkel.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2011, 01:25 PM
They are terrible Saul. MU rolled them. As they should have.

Saul Good
12-31-2011, 01:37 PM
They are terrible Saul. MU rolled them. As they should have.

They aren't terrible. They are pretty average for a BCS team, though. Two games earlier, they went to Virginia Tech and lost by a field goal. 3 of their 5 losses coming into the game were against ranked teams, and Mizzou will finish the season ranked as well.

That said, Mizzou scored 31 points in the first half. UNC only gave up more than 31 in a GAME twice all year.

Titty Meat
12-31-2011, 01:47 PM
LOL They were 3-5 in the ACC. Yeah that's not terrible.

kstater
12-31-2011, 02:04 PM

The ACC was good enough to get 2 BCS teams.

mnchiefsguy
12-31-2011, 02:06 PM

Terrible is Kansas...UNC was an average team with coaching problems and a good defense. They got rolled in their bowl by a superior Mizzou squad.

No one is saying UNC is a great team or anything, but they finished above .500 and had some close games against ranked opponents.

It was a good win for Mizzou to finish out their play in the Big 12. Brighter days are ahead.

Titty Meat
12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
The ACC was good enough to get 2 BCS teams.

You believe they were deserving of this?

eazyb81
12-31-2011, 02:38 PM

They're no Northwestern.

Setsuna
12-31-2011, 02:47 PM
The ACC is the All Cupcake Conference. They got 2 BCS spots because everyone else in the deserving conferences sucked it up this year. OU, OSU, Nebraska, etc didn't perform. I guarantee any one of them get in before another ACC team besides VT.

Titty Meat
12-31-2011, 02:48 PM
They're no Northwestern.

You're right Northwestern would beat them.

|Zach|
12-31-2011, 02:51 PM
I dont have anything against A&M (they let us win so many games) but it would have been cool to see Northwestern win that. I like their coach.

eazyb81
12-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Doubtful since the only bowl-eligible team Northwestern can beat is Nuhbraska.

Titty Meat
12-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Doubtful since the only bowl-eligible team Northwestern can beat is Nuhbraska.

It would have been more impressive had it been powerhouse Mizzou. You guys are great at playing victim too.

Saul Good
12-31-2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah, Northwestern looked like a real power getting rolled up by aTm today.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2011, 08:46 PM
They aren't terrible. They are pretty average for a BCS team, though. Two games earlier, they went to Virginia Tech and lost by a field goal. 3 of their 5 losses coming into the game were against ranked teams, and Mizzou will finish the season ranked as well.

That said, Mizzou scored 31 points in the first half. UNC only gave up more than 31 in a GAME twice all year.

I think they are terrible. MU rolled them. As they should have. I'm not demeaning the win. MU blew them out. That's exactly what a good (possibly underachieving) MU team should do to a squad like UNC.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I take that back. I don't think MU underachieved. I think they are breaking in the QB that will take them farther than any of their previous very good QB's.

Pitt Gorilla
01-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Seat of power: How the SEC came to rule college football

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111231/SPORTS/712319797#seat-of-power-how-the-sec-came-to-rule-college-football

Five years ago today, the Nebraska football team battled Auburn at the Cotton Bowl.
It was a brisk morning. It was an ugly game. NU lost, 17-14.

That's the last time Nebraska tangled with the SEC.

At that moment, five conferences had captured the five previous BCS titles. Foreign was the idea of one league ruling the sport.

Since the AP poll began, a conference had won three consecutive national titles just twice; the Big Ten did it in the early 1940s, the SEC did it from 1978-80.

Why would the future be any different?

But behind the scenes, the SEC was building a powerhouse.

The blueprint: divisional alignment, which enhanced competitiveness and built a unique brand; a TV contract that exposed the league each Saturday to the largest possible audience; a bulging war chest that enabled athletic directors to lure the finest coaches in the country; a recruiting loophole that enabled coaches to widen the margin for error; an emphasis on defense, as everyone else in the spread-offense era prioritized points; a population boom in the South that expanded the pool of recruits and boosters.

One week after the 2007 Cotton Bowl came the watershed moment. The landscape hasn't been the same since.

Ohio State, led by Heisman winner Troy Smith, entered that year's BCS championship game No. 1. The controversy — it's the BCS, there's always controversy — focused on Ohio State's opponent. Should it be Michigan, whom the Buckeyes had beaten in a classic game to end the season? Or Florida, the one-loss SEC champion?

When Ohio State returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown in Glendale, Ariz., it looked like the voters had made a mistake.

But what happened the rest of the night foreshadowed the new world of SEC dominance. Florida outscored the Buckeyes 41-7.

By night's end, Gator fans were chanting "SEC! SEC!" We're still hearing the echoes.

A year later, LSU smoked Ohio State. Then Florida humbled Oklahoma. Alabama was next, dropping Texas. Auburn clipped Oregon. Five years, five national titles.

Next week, it'll be six straight for the SEC.

As Nebraska prepares for its first SEC test in five years, it's hard to believe college football's top conference used to be just like everyone else. Sometimes worse.

During a 10-season span from 1985-94, the SEC produced one team — one! — that finished top-3 in the AP poll. The past five years, it has produced eight; all other conferences combined have seven. And that's before LSU and Alabama finish top-3 this year.

Never in college football history has one league been this good for this long. It's not just postseason rankings and honors.

Look at budgets: Last year, 13 college football programs generated revenue exceeding $50 million. Seven were from the SEC. Ten programs had expenses exceeding $20 million. Six were from the SEC.

Look at coaching salaries: In 2006, five of the 20 highest-paid coaches in the country were SEC coaches. In 2011, the SEC has 10 of the top 20 — and seven of the top 11. Eight college football assistants made $700,000 or more this season. Seven coached in the SEC.

Look at crowds, both in the living rooms and the stadiums: The three highest-rated college football games of 2011 were SEC games: LSU-Alabama, LSU-Arkansas and LSU-Georgia. And six of the top 11 attendance leaders in the country are SEC schools.

Look at talent: Per capita, all nine SEC states are among the top 20 nationally in Division I-A football recruits. Four (Louisiana, Florida, Alabama and Georgia) are top-5. Those kids generally stay home. Each of the last five years, the SEC has led all conferences in NFL Draft picks.

It's easy to identify why the SEC is better. What's more complicated is pinpointing what changed in the last decade. What prompted the surge?

Even the most sophisticated SEC observers aren't exactly sure. It's like looking at a strand of Christmas lights and trying to find the beginning.

But the SEC's rise to powerhouse is no fluke. And the reasons behind it — the power sources — suggest that the gap between the SEC and its competitors may actually grow over the next five years.

That's bad news for Nebraska and the Big Ten.

POWER SOURCE NO. 1: A GRAND FINALE

Every spring, SEC coaches gather in Destin, Fla., for the conference's spring meetings. In 1992, Gerry DiNardo was the head coach at Vanderbilt.

He remembers sitting in a room full of Southern icons: Johnny Majors, Pat Dye, Gene Stallings.

He watched them grill SEC Commissioner Roy Kramer about his crazy idea to expand the league, jump from seven conference games to eight, split into divisions and — here's the kicker — hold a conference championship game.

"I remember them saying, we'll never win another national championship because we're just going to beat the hell out of each other," said DiNardo, now a Big Ten Network analyst.

Of course, Alabama went unbeaten that fall and won the national title. The SEC's reign didn't begin for another decade, but DiNardo points to Kramer's decision as the spark.

The SEC title game generated additional revenue. It gave the SEC a unique platform at the end of the season. And, most important, the divisional structure made schools more competitive, DiNardo said.

No longer were you trying to beat nine teams (South Carolina and Arkansas didn't join the league until '92). To win the division, you only needed to beat five. That intensified the pressure "10-fold," DiNardo said. So did the close proximity of the division rivals.

"Once it became two six-team divisions, the traditional powers took an attitude like, 'You mean we can't be the best of six?'" DiNardo said.

Now Alabama wins a national title and Gene Chizik's seat gets a little warmer — he works a little harder. Then Auburn wins one, shifting pressure back to Nick Saban. All the while, LSU fans are griping at Les Miles — until he goes 13-0.

POWER SOURCE NO. 2: A NATIONAL STAGE

Sure, the money is good — the latest contract is $55 million per year. But that's not why people tout CBS as critical to the SEC's dominance.

While other conferences partnered with ABC/ESPN, which often show different games in different regions, the SEC struck a deal with CBS. Starting in 2001, it became the only conference with a national "game of the week" on one of the big three networks.

That ensured not only a huge audience for its top match-up, but also a network de
voted to promoting the SEC.

Don't underestimate CBS' national distribution as a recruiting tool, said Clay Travis, a Nashville-based SEC blogger and author. Not long ago, most SEC teams only recruited the South. Not anymore. Matthew Stafford came from Texas. Knowshon Moreno is from New Jersey. Felix Jones and Robert Meachem are from Oklahoma. Mark Ingram came from Michigan. Jerod Mayo and Percy Harvin came from Virginia.

"The SEC," said Tony Barnhart, SEC columnist and CBS analyst, "went from a very strong regional brand to a national brand."

POWER SOURCE NO. 3: 'THE ACQUISITION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY'

That's Spencer Tillman's term for coaching improvement. According to the CBS analyst and former Oklahoma running back, it's the No. 1 reason for the SEC's dominant run.

Twenty years ago, SEC schools rarely ventured out of the South to find their coaches. Most new hires were alumni or former assistants. But this is the mercenary era of coaches, especially in the SEC.

Saban had no experience with Alabama before taking over in Tuscaloosa. Same with Urban Meyer and Florida and Miles and LSU.

The best minds in college football are flocking to the SEC because of prestige and money.
"The money that flooded into the conference with the new television deal went almost straight into coaches' pockets," Travis said.

In 2006, Tommy Tuberville was the highest-paid coach in the SEC at $2.2 million. Five years later, 10 SEC coaches earned more, led by Saban at $4.8 million.

But it's not just TV money, said Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs. It's season-ticket and seat-licensing revenue. Attendance at SEC schools exceeded 76,000 per game in 2010, best in the country for the 13th straight year.

When the business of college football got more lucrative, said former Auburn coach Terry Bowden, programs began an arms race to build the biggest facilities and hire the best coaches. It exposed a competitive gulf.

Some programs couldn't raise the money to win big. But people in the South, Bowden said, were willing to do whatever it took. They ponied up.

Even the assistant coaches are getting rich. Last year, Gus Malzahn made $1.3 million as offensive coordinator at Auburn. That was greater than 11 BCS head coaches, including Rick Neuheisel, Kevin Wilson, Pat Fitzgerald, Paul Rhoads and Joe Paterno.

The reward is high. Judging by the long line of fired SEC coaches, so is the risk.

Travis attended a game at Alabama in 2006, the final year of the dreadful Mike Shula era. That day, an old fan looked at him and said, "This team is too big to be bad for this long."
To Travis, it underscored a critical point for the SEC.

"It's such a big business. You can't afford to be bad because it ultimately hits you in the coffers. You have to be good."

POWER SOURCE NO. 4: BROKEN PROMISES

FBS football programs are limited to 85 scholarship players and 25 initial scholarships per season. That hasn't stopped SEC schools from "over-signing."

Houston Nutt once signed 37 players to a recruiting class. Saban once signed 32.
How do SEC coaches get below the scholarship limits? Some players transfer or quit. Some fail academically or take medical hardships.

But the student-athlete doesn't always make the decision. Sometimes a coach flat-out yanks a scholarship from an underperforming player or recruit, essentially kicking him out of school. It's like promising Christmas presents to four kids, then buying three.

Over-signing enables SEC coaches to minimize the damage of poor talent evaluation. It's representative of the SEC culture, Terry Bowden said.

"If the rules allow you to over-sign, the SEC is going to take it to the extreme to make sure nobody has an advantage over them," Bowden said.

Last summer, the SEC announced new legislation that restricts over-signing. From a public relations standpoint, it's a smart move. But from a competitive standpoint, DiNardo said, it's a mistake.

"That will hurt them."

POWER SOURCE NO. 5: STICKING TO DEFENSE

Passing numbers skyrocketed the past 10 years as spread offenses swept through college football. But there's one league where the spread offense doesn't fly.

"We throw the ball way more than we ever did in college football," said Fox analyst Charles Davis, who played at Tennessee. "No one rushes the passer better than the SEC. No one. You take a good look at those high-waisted, high-cut, sprinter-looking defensive ends around 250-255. You ain't blocking those guys."

Last year, Sports Illustrated examined where elite defensive linemen come from. The nine SEC states make up less than 20 percent of U.S. population. Yet of 309 defensive linemen on NFL rosters, 39 percent hailed from SEC country. They're elite not only in quantity, but quality: Nick Fairley, Marcel Dareus, Glenn Dorsey, Carlos Dunlap, Jarvis Moss.

The bowl format — where the national title game comes after a month off — aids SEC defenses as they prepare for high-octane offenses. Ohio State managed 82 total yards against Florida. Oklahoma (2008) and Oregon ('10) also struggled.

"Time after time," Travis said, "we've been told, 'Oh, this offense is outstanding.' And time after time, when they get the chance to go against these SEC defenses, they don't perform."

POWER SOURCE NO. 6: A GREAT MIGRATION

One factor in the SEC's rise has nothing to do with football.

In 1980, the nine states that comprise the Big Ten footprint (including Nebraska) had a cumulative population of 62.1 million. The SEC's nine states totaled 39.5 million.

Since then, Southern cities, especially in Florida and Georgia, have flourished. Northern cities, especially in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania, have stagnated.

The past 30 years, Big Ten states have grown by 12 percent. SEC states have grown by 49 percent. The Big Ten's population advantage of 23 million is now only 10 million.

THE FUTURE

Last summer, one of the nation's best quarterback recruits, Gunner Kiel, committed to his home-state school, underdog Indiana. It raised quite a stir in recruiting circles. But somewhere along the line, Kiel decided IU wasn't a big enough stage. He re-opened his recruitment.

And late last week, he chose LSU instead.

In one report, Kiel cited the SEC appeal: "A lot of people call it the NFL of college football."

Eventually, Travis speculates, the SEC will grab a school from Virginia and another from North Carolina. It will align with ESPN (in addition to its Saturday CBS coverage) and form a conference network that breaks the bank.

"The scary thing for the rest of the country is the SEC is going to continue to distance themselves," Travis said.

And as the SEC wins more national titles, its reputation grows. And reputation is half the battle in college football, where national titles are just as often decided by politicking as scoring touchdowns.

In 2004, Auburn missed a shot at a BCS title because voters deemed the unbeaten Tigers inferior to USC and Oklahoma.

Seven years later, perception has changed. As as a result, Alabama got the benefit of the doubt over Oklahoma State.

By winning six straight championships, the path to a seventh gets easier.

The SEC will likely start next season with four or five teams in the top-10.
Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Arkansas should match up with anybody in the country.

Except maybe one team, which returns its best offensive playmakers and — more important — most of its vaunted defense.

You thought LSU was good last year? Wait 'til you see 'em in 2012.

Contact the writer:

402-649-1461, dirk.chatelain@owh.com, twitter.com/dirkchatelain

Sources: Athletic budget data compiled from the U.S. Department of Education; Coaching salary data compiled by USA Today; TV ratings released by CBS Sports; Attendance compiled by the NCAA; Recruiting data compiled by the Tulsa World; NFL Draft data compiled by the NFL; State populations gathered from U.S. census data.

ADDITIONAL POWER SOURCES:

The BCS: Yes, it's maddening, but in the old bowl system, Florida never would've gotten a chance to play Ohio State after the 2006 season. LSU would not have played the Buckeyes the next year. Ohio State would have probably beaten Pac-10 teams in the Rose Bowl and — since it entered the bowls ranked No. 1 —- won two national championships. The BCS has opened the door for the SEC. And a plus-one system would likely open it farther, giving two SEC teams a shot at a title more often.

The fall of Miami and Florida State: The two best Southern programs of the 1980s and '90s fell on hard times in the early 2000s. For the SEC, that not only opened the door to more national championships, it opened up Florida for recruiting. “A lot of those kids in south Florida that would automatically go to Miami, they're going to Florida or Auburn or Alabama,” Tony Barnhart said.

High school spring football: Prospects in Louisiana and Mississippi are practicing in March and April. The extra work especially helps bigger kids, Gerry DiNardo said. “The offensive linemen, they're not going home at 2:30. They're going to spring practice. In Ohio, the big kids are going home.”

Educational improvements in the South: The talent pool has grown because of population, but also education. Low-income students, especially minority students, are better equipped to qualify and handle the academic load at SEC schools, said Doug Dickey, former head coach at Tennessee and Florida. “We're in the third or fourth generation of integrated schools in the South. We have had during that time from the '60s to now tremendous growth in the Southeastern United States ... and the educational system has grown with that. So you have far more players today in 2011-12 than were qualified to play in the '60s, '70s and even '80s.”

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Lots of B1G versus SEC today.

Nebraska versus South Carolina
Michigan State versus Georgia
Ohio State versus Florida

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Lots of B1G versus SEC today.

Nebraska versus South Carolina
Michigan State versus Georgia
Ohio State versus Florida

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2012, 02:20 PM
SEC is taking the big 10 behind the woodshed.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Anyone know where to find a conference scorecard?

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
South Carolina is without their all-American running back, their starting QB, and now their all-American WR, and they are beating Nebraska.

kstater
01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone know where to find a conference scorecard?

Coming into today:

Big 12: 5-1
SEC: 2-1
Big 10: 2-2
Pac: 1-4

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Coming into today:

Big 12: 5-1
SEC: 2-1
Big 10: 2-2
Pac: 1-4

What would it look like if you move aTM, Mizzou, TCU, etc. to their new conferences?

SEC would be 4-1 with aTm and Mizzou both winning (and are winning all 3 of their games at the moment.)

Big 12 would be 4-1, I think, with TCU winning.

Big East would pick up a win from Boise.

Discuss Thrower
01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Does it shock anyone that all the Longhorn fans at Shaggybevo are still butthurt over A&M and MU's departure?

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Does it shock anyone that all the Longhorn fans at Shaggybevo are still butthurt over A&M and MU's departure?

Yes. I've been assured that nobody cares about Mizzou leaving. In fact, they are all glad to see us go.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Aaron Murray looks terrible. Mizzou is going to have the best QB in the East next year.

eazyb81
01-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Seat of power: How the SEC came to rule college football

POWER SOURCE NO. 6: A GREAT MIGRATION

One factor in the SEC's rise has nothing to do with football.

In 1980, the nine states that comprise the Big Ten footprint (including Nebraska) had a cumulative population of 62.1 million. The SEC's nine states totaled 39.5 million.

Since then, Southern cities, especially in Florida and Georgia, have flourished. Northern cities, especially in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania, have stagnated.

The past 30 years, Big Ten states have grown by 12 percent. SEC states have grown by 49 percent. The Big Ten's population advantage of 23 million is now only 10 million.

Great article, but this data is inaccurate. When including the states of Texas and Missouri, the SEC actually has a larger population footprint than any other conference in the country.

It is pretty obvious that the SEC is going to continue to be the dominant conference going forward. Too much money, talent, and passion for football.

eazyb81
01-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Aaron Murray looks terrible. Mizzou is going to have the best QB in the East next year.

I've been more impressed with SC than Georgia today. SC's defense is nasty and Shaw is a very solid QB.

Discuss Thrower
01-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Shaw just got his head dribbled against the turf on a slide.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Shaw just got his head dribbled against the turf on a slide.

Nebraska is a team of thugs coached by one.