PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football How do you feel about fantasy football?

DaFace
09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
The thread about teams putting up FF stats during games has made me realize that I clearly have a different view of FF than most and am genuinely curious to know how others feel about it.

So...generally speaking...how do you feel about fantasy football? Not necessarily your own personal enjoyment of it, but its overall effect on the game.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I hate watching with people that go huuuuur at least I have that guy on my fantasy team after he scores on the Chiefs.

Reerun_KC
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Love it.. We have a family league that has been going since 2006. Its become the biggest highlight of our reunions, t-day and Xmas breaks...

It brings my family across the US together every sunday for smack talk and fun...

CaliforniaChief
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I enjoy it a lot. It gives me something to enjoy after the Chiefs game is done.

Steron
The thread about teams putting up FF stats during games has made me realize that I clearly have a different view of FF than most and am genuinely curious to know how others feel about it.

So...generally speaking...how do you feel about fantasy football? Not necessarily your own personal enjoyment of it, but its overall effect on the game.

I have been playing for 12 years (10 as the commissioner of the league) and I love it. It really made me pay attention the other players in the league outside of the Chiefs.

RealSNR
It's better than OK, but it's not the best thing ever.

Poll fail :harumph:

DaFace
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
It's better than OK, but it's not the best thing ever.

Poll fail :harumph:

Edited the options a bit. Just for you.

Smed1065
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
After this start?

A life saver.

wazu
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Love it. And as a Chiefs fan, it's usually all I really have that I can enjoy and celebrate success with NFL-wise.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I like and have a couple teams, but i dont let it interfere with my routing interest of certain teams.

Predarat
09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
I enjoy it alot, I have to be careful not to get too many teams going, it kind of takes the fun out of it. They need to show more updates at games and such. With HDTV, access to more games, more and more people are staying home. Something need to be done to improve stadium experience.

Quesadilla Joe
09-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I quit playing after 2009. Didn't like how I was rooting for a player to have a big game against Denver.

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I enjoy it. It allows for fun smack talk around the office. I've been playing for about 16 years now. I do wish people would actually play for themselves, though. I don't see the point in playing if you're going to ask everyone else to help you make every damn decision. Make your own cheat sheets and decide who to start each week yourself. If you're going to play then why go with other people's sit/start opinions?

1ChiefsDan
09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I hate watching with people that go huuuuur at least I have that guy on my fantasy team after he scores on the Chiefs.

This. FF sucks. People aren't fans of real teams anymore. They root for whoever is on their FF team.

Delano
09-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm in ONE league with close, personal friends and it has been that way for nearly ten years. I'd never consider another league and if this one folds, I'm done.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
09-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I personally find it pretty annoying. Not quite to the "ruining the game" part, but close. I know it's just my mentality, but I just get sick and tired of people coming up to me and asking me - not how the Chiefs did - but how Dwayne Bowe did in the game. To me, it de-emphasizes the actual point of the game - team performance - and emphasizes individual performances. That's kind of everything I hate about the way pro football is going.

Anyway, I know I'm in the minority here, so I'll STFU.

luv
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
It's helped me learn more about and keep up with players other than the Chiefs.

CaliforniaChief
09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I should add to what I said earlier...when FFL and Chiefs interests come into conflict with each other, there is no conflict. Chiefs hands down, and there's NO solace to winning a week of FFL if it comes in any way, shape, or form at the expense of the Chiefs.

For instance, last year's MNF opener had me in a position to win if Ryan Mathews would have had a big game. One of the guys with me was like "Hey, I bet you're hoping Ryan Mathews at least goes off for a big game, right?"

My response?

"I hope he runs square into an AIDS tree and fumbles 15 times tonight and never forgets it."

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I personally find it pretty annoying. Not quite to the "ruining the game" part, but close. I know it's just my mentality, but I just get sick and tired of people coming up to me and asking me - not how the Chiefs did - but how Dwayne Bowe did in the game. To me, it de-emphasizes the actual point of the game - team performance - and emphasizes individual performances. That's kind of everything I hate about the way pro football is going.

I'm with ya 'Face. I know that's a big relief for you.

Bearcat
09-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I like it, but I try not to be the guy who thinks other people care about all the details of my fantasy league... but, it does get brought up from time to time.

So, kind of off topic, but did anyone see Welker's 99 yarder last night? <strike>I</strike> He had a great night last night.

luv
09-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I should add to what I said earlier...when FFL and Chiefs interests come into conflict with each other, there is no conflict. Chiefs hands down, and there's NO solace to winning a week of FFL if it comes in any way, shape, or form at the expense of the Chiefs.

For instance, last year's MNF opener had me in a position to win if Ryan Mathews would have had a big game. One of the guys with me was like "Hey, I bet you're hoping Ryan Mathews at least goes off for a big game, right?"

My response?

"I hope he runs square into an AIDS tree and fumbles 15 times tonight and never forgets it."

This is pretty much how I am. I love to participate, learn, and even win. However, I root for my Chiefs first and foremost.

Bearcat
09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

I understand that from being a hockey fan, where players might emphasize the team over the individual more than any other sport.

Predarat
09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I care about the teams I follow first, watching good games with the other teams second, and pick 'em/fantasy stuff after that. However the pick 'em/fantasy issue can effect and infuence who I want to do well the the 'other games'.

Ace Gunner
09-13-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm not liking it. While I have always respected other fans that know stats and use them to make points, the perspective itself is too clinical for me to enjoy. I ran track, I used to play the game and wasn't particularly gifted, but had to develop fundamental skills perhaps more than other players I competed with. To me, that's as much a part of who's who as any stat and it's not something that many FFL fans I've met can identify. Character.

So, it makes for some tangents I can do without, frankly. But hey, to each his own.

luv
09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
I like it, but I try not to be the guy who thinks other people care about all the details of my fantasy league... but, it does get brought up from time to time.

So, kind of off topic, but did anyone see Welker's 99 yarder last night? <strike>I</strike> He had a great night last night.

Certainly help <strike>my</strike> their starting QB, too. :)

Saulbadguy
09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Kind of annoying.

Deberg_1990
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I stopped playing, but had alot of fun when i used to play. I "get" why people enjoy it.

It keeps alot of casual fans involved.

The one thing i always hated when i played was how unfair head to head leagues are. LIke if i score 95 one week and lose, but 3 or 4 other teams won and scored lower than me. WTH?? Makes no sense, especially since defense plays no part in the game. Its all pure luck.

MIAdragon
09-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I have zero interest in it, however I think its quite ingenious. It keeps the fans of shitty teams watching the game even when their team has no hope.

Rooster
09-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I play it but I find it 'kinda annoying'.

Donger
09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't even know what it is, so I guess my answer is "Meh."

Old Dog
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Enjoy it for the most part. The main reason I liked it in the beginning (first league was a bunch of buddies in '93) was that it gave me a reason to watch a Browns/Cardinals game (or some other "don't give a damn about either of these teams matchup") if that happened to be the only one on.
I still run one league that is all buddies from the Army. Next year will be our 10th and though most of us haven't seen each other in five or six years it's one way to keep in contact. We're doing our draft in Vegas next season.
I don't like starting a player against the Chiefs, but it's not as if me starting him in my fantasy league will have any outcome on the game. For the record I hope J. Best fumbles 4 times this week. Chiefs first.

Bugeater
09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I fucking hate it and would like to kill the person who came up with it.

</post>
09-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I played every year until last year. When I wasn't as into football, it was great to gain some knowledge about players around the league. I thought I would miss it, but I think being a fan of the Chiefs is enough to worry about on Sundays.

Bearcat
09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I ****ing hate it and would like to kill the person who came up with it.

Looks like someone drafted Peyton Manning... :(

MahiMike
09-13-2011, 10:32 AM
My Chiefs come 1st. That being said, fantasy football gives me something to look forward to after the 1st week of the season...)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
You can't watch a fucking game at a bar without hearing about some asshole's fantasy team/league.

It was fun when I was 12

Bugeater
09-13-2011, 10:38 AM
You can't watch a fucking game at a bar without hearing about some asshole's fantasy team/league.

This is one of the reasons I hate it, no one cares about your goddamn team. Shut the hell up about it.

lcarus
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
After this start?

A life saver.

Agreed.

WV
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I really enjoy playing, but I enjoyed it more before the internet sensation its become. Websites do all the work for the jokers who just gave their entry fee each year and wouldnt put in the work.
I've been in a league for probably going on 8 years that has existed for over 20, so it really helps to have an established league. I play in some others but don't take them nearly as serious.

lcarus
09-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I think if people would just shutup about it around people that obviously don't give a ****, it would be a lot more acceptable to people that obviously don't give a **** about it.

vailpass
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I've been in the same fantasy league for around 15 years (not exactly sure). It gives me a chance to stay connected with my buddies back home.
I love it.

Ming the Merciless
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I am in multiple leagues....

I have been playing fantasy football for like 15+ years way before it was easy to play like it is now...

It is really cool....I have never heard one valid argument for why it is ruining the game...the players played for stats ANYWAYS considering contracts, bonuses, players at the end of their contracts.....etc....I mean everything in the NFL is based on stats.....It's basically just following players....

Yet so many people are crying about it...I don't get it...

For me, it helps me keep track of other team's players that I wouldn't normally follow...also I am in a couple leagues with family members and friends around the country so it allows me to talk smack and have fun and share the passion that is the NFL.

vailpass
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I think if people would just shutup about it around people that obviously don't give a ****, it would be a lot more acceptable to people that obviously don't give a **** about it.

Irritable vagina syndrome rears her ugly maidenhead.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
This is one of the reasons I hate it, no one cares about your goddamn team. Shut the hell up about it.

Would you like to rate my team or perhaps help me set my lineup this week ;)

lcarus
09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I am in multiple leagues....

I have been playing fantasy football for like 15+ years way before it was easy to play like it is now...

It is really cool....I have never heard one valid argument for why it is ruining the game...the players played for stats ANYWAYS considering contracts, bonuses, players at the end of their contracts.....etc....I mean everything in the NFL is based on stats.....It's basically just following players....

Yet so many people are crying about it...I don't get it...

For me, it helps me keep track of other team's players that I wouldn't normally follow...also I am in a couple leagues with family members and friends around the country so it allows me to talk smack and have fun and share the passion that is the NFL.

God I remember the days of checking the paper every Monday and Tuesday morning to see everyone's stats and then writing them all down. People would always question their players stats. The internet made the game a lot better.

vailpass
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Would you like to rate my team or perhaps help me set my lineup this week ;)

Matt Ryan took a shit on me.
So did Santonio Holmes.
if Jamal Charles hadn't caught that TD pass I'd have snipered your play calling gurus that limited him to 10 frigging carries.

So sure, let's talk about your lineup.

Ming the Merciless
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
God I remember the days of checking the paper every Monday and Tuesday morning to see everyone's stats and then writing them all down. People would always question their players stats. The internet made the game a lot better.

Amen.......

Having to call the league commisioner to do a trade by phone or to pick up a FA...

What a hassle

lcarus
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Amen.......

Having to call the league commisioner to do a trade by phone or to pick up a FA...

What a hassle

With the #1 pick in this years fantasy football draft Jimmy Bob selects (holds up the phone and asks Jimmy Bob who he wants). Fred Taylor!

RJ
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bs-md-co-mcdonalds-sentencing-20110913,0,5603673.story

Reerun_KC
09-13-2011, 10:57 AM

So many fans forget this..... Espically on CP...

donkhater
09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Absolutely love it, but i don't get how people have multiple teams. Is that just so that you have at least one team to brag about? People confident in their fantasy football skill play one team and are confident that they'll succeed with that one team.

Old Dog
09-13-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bs-md-co-mcdonalds-sentencing-20110913,0,5603673.story

Because of fantasy football? I'm trying to understand the relevance.

lcarus
09-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Absolutely love it, but i don't get how people have multiple teams. Is that just so that you have at least one team to brag about? People confident in their fantasy football skill play one team and are confident that they'll succeed with that one team.

I actually played two teams last year, only because my dad was running a league and needed me, and my good friend was running a league and needed me. It was too much though, so I'm only doing one this year. I almost didn't play at all. I really didn't care much for it this year for some reason.

Old Dog
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
People confident in their fantasy football skill play one team and are confident that they'll succeed with that one team.

I disagree. I would wager that among fantasy football players far more people play in multiple leagues than have only one team.
I have three different ones. The aforementioned with my old Army buddies which is a redraft, another long time league (I have been in it for 11 years and only two guys have been it less than that) with a low turnover, and an auction keeper comprised mainly of owners from those two.
The fact is that none of the three are the same (basic redraft/TD only/auction based keeper and different scoring systems as well).

cdcox
09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't play Fantasy football.

One hand, it brings more interest to the game, and I think that is a good thing.

On the other, it kind of distorts the true nature of the game by emphasizing individuals over the team aspect.

Oh, and Sandbox Alternate Reality > Fantasy

Ming the Merciless
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
On the other, it kind of distorts the true nature of the game by emphasizing individuals over the team aspect.

I don't buy this argument since the media, the players themselves, the contracts, bonuses and everything else is already based on individual performances.

Long before fantasy football there were plenty of stats and people who kept track of individual performances...

Heck MANY players get paid more if they have better stats!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I always liked the way my dad's 10-team league was set it up in the mid-late 90s. I understand most people would not enjoy this

Passing
Yards: you'd earn anywhere from 1 to 10 points based on total yardage
Completion Percentage: 1 to 10 points

Rushing
Combined yards: 1 to 10 points (WR/QB runs counted too)
Yards per Carry: 1 to 10 points

Receiving
Yards: 1-10 points
YPC: 1-10 points (had to watch out for RBs with lots of catches)

Points: TDs (3 for QBs), Kicker, Defense.... negative points, of course, for fumbles, INTs, bad Defense. 2 to 20 points based on number of points scored

You could score it yourself by looking at everyone's team. It was fun. You were head-to-head but also competing against the entire league in the 1-10 system. All the players could have played in your matchup.... But Steve Young on Monday night could turn your 10/9 into a 9/8....and you lose

Ming the Merciless
09-13-2011, 11:23 AM

This is not true....I am in multiple leagues because I have a lot of friends/family and end up getting invited into a few different leagues every year. Also I am the commissioner of a league thats been going on 9 years now with 12 people that are all friends.

People with 'skill' most likely play in more than one league...at least everyone that I know...

donkhater
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Anytime I hear someone brag on their FF team, I ask, "How many leagues are you in?' If it's more than 1 (and frequently it's more than 2), then I respond, "Well you were bound to be right on one of them."

RealSNR
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
It's pretty fun. In the preseason it does a great job of warming up the season by talking about certain players and TD output. I also love doing fantasy football drafts.

But my rule is I do it only with friends. I'm in three leagues this year, including the drafturbator league here on Chiefsplanet.

RealSNR
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Also, look at my very own option leading the poll results. You should listen to me more often, DaFace.

lcarus
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Anytime I hear someone brag on their FF team, I ask, "How many leagues are you in?' If it's more than 1 (and frequently it's more than 2), then I respond, "Well you were bound to be right on one of them."

And that's exactly why its kind of smart to do 2, if you're in it for the gambling aspect. You might be out 100 bucks on one league, but the other league you might win 500. Last year I was kind of peer pressured into doing 2 leagues, but I got really lucky and got 2nd place in one and 1st place in the other. Ended up about 1000 dollars richer. Right around the Christmas season too, when I really needed it.

chiefqueen
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I was doing OK until my PK (Keading) tore his ACL on the opening kickoff.

This is my first year doing fantasy football.

My question is this since Keading tore his ACL and he was on my team (I'm replacing him tonight, obviously) maybe it's a karma thing with me and I should go after Rivers or Brady.

For all you Cassell haters out there, Cassell is on my team but I did not start him and am thinking about waiving him tonight also.