PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Possible Free Agent Help?

Steron
09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Just read this at http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2011/9/13/2422671/kansas-city-chiefs-can-still-fill-holes-via-free-agency-with-alge.

They are all broke dicks but what could it possibly hurt now?

Kansas City Chiefs Can Still Fill Holes Via Free Agency With Alge Crumpler, Darren Sharper, Nick Kaczur

Sep 13 9:37a by Matt Conner (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/authors/matt-conner)
Yes, the Kansas City Chiefs are hurting. If Chiefs fans thought the preseason was bad, then the regular season must be brutal to handle. The reality is that week one left the Chiefs looking worse than any other NFL team out there — including the Carolina Panthers, who were the worst team in the NFL in 2010. However, week one is just that and there are 16 more weeks of the regular season to go. For anyone to write off the Chiefs — or any team for that matter — that would be a mistake.
Instead, the Chiefs need to concentrate on filling the holes that have showed themselves either through poor play on the field or due to injuries. The Chiefs certainly have both, but Scott Pioli can take heart knowing there are significant free agents still available for the taking — that is, if he’s willing to move off of that $30 million or so sitting at his disposal. Let’s take a look:
Nick Kaczur – This move seems the most obvious from a player perspective given Pioli’s familiarity with the former New England guard. However, it makes the least sense given what fans believe the Chiefs need most. But the Chiefs must have excellent line play to win — both in establishing a running game and allowing time for Matt Cassel to fire downfield. Kaczur was the third round pick in 2005 of Pioli’s in New England, so he knows him well. And given the lack of depth along this most important position, the Chiefs could certainly use another capable body .
Alge Crumpler – Tony Moeaki is out and the lack of a playmaker at tight end is hurting the Chiefs at this point. Leonard Pope is a nice sized target, but both he and Jake O’Connell do not have the hands that Alge Crumpler has. Crumpler is 33 and only caught six passes last year for New England, but let’s not forget they also added Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez both last year. Crumpler should still have plenty in the tank for another run around the league, and he’d help the Chiefs in a major point of need.

Darren Sharper – The veteran safety has been around the block multiple times, and he missed significant time last year due to injuries. So he’s definitely a shade of his former self, but given the state of the Chiefs safety position, Sharper’s strong veteran presence, keen intelligence and nose for the ball are incredible assets. Remember, just two years ago he had 9 interceptions. This could be the most important signing for the Chiefs if they make it.

Channing Crowder/Lofa Tatupu - At this point, the Chiefs still haven’t addressed the injury to Brandon Siler in the preseason, which was intended to shore up one of the holes they had before the injuries took place. Inside linebacker could still use an upgrade and these guys are both still available on the free agency list. Certainly they’ll both find homes soon enough for this season, but the Chiefs could certainly use help at ILB.

yeti
09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
not part of the right 53//haley & co :#

ModSocks
09-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I would the whole thing.

Sofa King
09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Sharper would be cool, but he definitely wouldn't be a speed upgrade.

FAX
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Adding Algae would be a huge improvement to our squad. I don't mean Crumpler ... I mean the autotrophic organism.

FAX

HemiEd
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I would the whole thing.

This, bring them all in and sign them. I didn't know Crumpler was only 33.

Rams Fan
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Crowder/Tatupu would help. Crumpler might be hurt, I think. Sharper would be okay, but he's lost a step.

Steron
09-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Crowder/Tatupu would help. Crumpler might be hurt, I think. Sharper would be okay, but he's lost a step.

Lost a step or three. But F it. Bring him in for this year.

acarter25
09-13-2011, 02:51 PM
This, bring them all in and sign them. I didn't know Crumpler was only 33.

Rooster
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Gee I don't know. I mean those guys will probably want uniforms won't they? How much do those things cost?

ModSocks
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM

He's lost a step for sure, but at least he could fucking make a tackle.

Easy 6
09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Sure, lets bring in some help, it certainly couldnt hurt.

But between Berry, Moeaki & the one they call Cassel, no one out there is going to save the season.

acarter25
09-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Wait.... SO ARE WE SUPERBOWL CONTENDERS AGAIN?!

raybec 4
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
He's lost a step for sure, but at least he could ****ing make a tackle.

Sharper losing 5 steps is better than Sabby at full speed

ModSocks
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Yes. Check in your email. You get the memo?

Carlota69
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Channing Crowder/Lofa Tatupu - At this point, the Chiefs still haven’t addressed the injury to Brandon Siler in the preseason, which was intended to shore up one of the holes they had before the injuries took place. Inside linebacker could still use an upgrade and these guys are both still available on the free agency list. Certainly they’ll both find homes soon enough for this season, but the Chiefs could certainly use help at ILB.

It feels like The Chiefs havent addressed shit so far...

BTW, Id take them all...but I feel desperation for sure.

Rams Fan
09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
BTW, Id take them all...but I feel desperation for sure.

Why would you take them all when 4 out of 5 of the players listed have a history with injuries?

Easy 6
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Nope, but we definitely had a chance to be respectable once again & build on that next year.

Carlota69
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Why would you take them all when 4 out of 5 of the players listed have a history with injuries?

Um, I said I was desperate...

Rams Fan
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Um, I said I was desperate...

Even if you are desperate, there are still better options available.

TimeForWasp
09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Raid the Canadian league.

Carlota69
09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Even if you are desperate, there are still better options available.
Ok, who?

Rams Fan
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Ok, who?

David Vobora, who was on the Rams, would be an okay LB. Good on ST, okay starter.

pr_capone
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Sharper in for 5 games, then becoming injured, would mean 5 games that Sobby won't see as much playing time. I'm not seeing a downside here.

acarter25
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes. Check in your email. You get the memo?

Man, this is great.

acarter25
09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Nope, but we definitely had a chance to be respectable once again & build on that next year.

Hey im just kidding. Just trying to lighten the mood. Im all for signing these guys and i completely agree with you.

Mr. Laz
09-13-2011, 03:32 PM
we had our chance during the real FA period

just play the young guys and take our lumps now

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
ChiefsandOsFanGreg
@JasonLaCanfora Darren Sharper and chiefs what u think?

JasonLaCanforaJason La Canfora

@ChiefsandOsFan they havent contacted him

acarter25
09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
ChiefsandOsFanGreg
@JasonLaCanfora Darren Sharper and chiefs what u think?

JasonLaCanforaJason La Canfora

@ChiefsandOsFan they havent contacted him

Ah, we suck again!

http://www.cineol.net/images/noticias/Cameos/Waterboy_2.jpg

Rooster
09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
What happend to Tatupu? He was a highly regarded linebacker not very long ago.

acarter25
09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
What happend to Tatupu? He was a highly regarded linebacker not very long ago.

I was wondering the same thing.. Saw his name and was like.. What?

TRR
09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
The Chiefs under Pioli/Haley seem to be one of the only teams in the NFL that refuse to sign FA's when their starters or backups get injured. They should have signed an ILB long ago, and should have definitely signed a S and OT already this week.

Hopefully there is something in the works. I don't know if I can take watching McGraw and Sabby get blow by while in coverage again.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Those are certainly some areas where we have holes, but I don't think Sharper at this point has the speed to play in the NFL. We certainly need some depth at that position.

Mr_Tomahawk
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Benny Sapp is available... LMAO

acarter25
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Benny Sapp is available... LMAO

:clap:

NJChiefsFan
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
The Chiefs under Pioli/Haley seem to be one of the only teams in the NFL that refuse to sign FA's when their starters or backups get injured. They should have signed an ILB long ago, and should have definitely signed a S and OT already this week.

Really was amazed they didn't even look at other TE's when Moeaki went down. That being said, Pope wasn't any part of the loss Sunday. He was one of the few bright spots. Wish Houston and Sheffield did more, but it was their first game on a screwed up defense.

The Franchise
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Ill take everyone of those players.

NJChiefsFan
09-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I understand Haley has a hard-on for Pope, and he actually looked decent, so I guess I see the thought process on that one.

Guard doesn't make sense because Pioli always talks about Oline depth and that guy is an ex-Pat, so weird they wouldn't look at him. Its not like he would take time away from Asamoah.

LB, they have always seemed to trust Demario as a backup, even when others didn't, so I see their thought process even though I don't agree.

Saftey is the one that blows my mind. How could they ever have been ok with those 2 as backups. Especially Piscatelli. No excuse at all to not bring a guy in.

cabletech94
09-13-2011, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=NJChiefsFan;7906692]I understand Haley has a hard-on for Pope, and he actually looked decent, so I guess I see the thought process on that one.

he also saves kids from drowning.

just sayin'.:hmmm:

NJChiefsFan
09-13-2011, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=NJChiefsFan;7906692]I understand Haley has a hard-on for Pope, and he actually looked decent, so I guess I see the thought process on that one.

he also saves kids from drowning.

just sayin'.:hmmm:

Its a nice thing you have on your resume. Pope is pimpin.

Micjones
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I'd take all of them.
The Chiefs will take NONE of them.

We're going to hope the defense can make up for huge liabilities in Piscatelli and McGraw. I'm getting fed up of this front office refusing to admit when they're wrong. There were STARTING-CALIBER Safeties available this off-season. Even LATE into the FA process guys like Dashon Goldson were still hanging around.

Pioli seems to be convinced that we have no need for anything other than "Plan A".
And when he's wrong...and "Plan A" fails...he seems to be unwilling to admit that and try to mitigate the damage. I TRULY hope I'm wrong, but I honestly think this organization is going to trot these two guys masquerading as NFL Safeties out there week after week and hope they're going to get better.

milkman
09-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Matt Cassel had plenty of time to throw downfield on Sunday, he just didn't do it.

Bringing in Nick Kasur ain't going to fix that.

Micjones
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Matt Cassel had plenty of time to throw downfield on Sunday, he just didn't do it.

He did? I was there and I certainly didn't see 5-6 second windows of opportunity to throw the ball.

It will give us some insurance if an O-Lineman goes down though.
Right now...I'd expect the worst. We've already lost three players to IR this year. Two were MAJOR contributors. Seems like one of those years where we're not gonna catch any breaks.

Having some quality depth will at least keep the bottom from falling out.

aturnis
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Herb Taylor.

Rexx
09-13-2011, 08:44 PM
McBath from Denver would be a decent pickup I would think. Not sure what he did in Denver, but I remember he was solid when at Tech.

Crush
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
He did? I was there and I certainly didn't see 5-6 second windows of opportunity to throw the ball.

A good QB shouldn't need 5-6 seconds.

milkman
09-13-2011, 08:56 PM

It will give us some insurance if an O-Lineman goes down though.
Right now...I'd expect the worst. We've already lost three players to IR this year. Two were MAJOR contributors. Seems like one of those years where we're not gonna catch any breaks.

Having some quality depth will at least keep the bottom from falling out.

I don't know what game you were watching.

I didn't need PFF to tell me taht Cassel had time in the pocket, but according to them, he was only pressured 5 times all day.

And one of those pressures was quite probably the stupidest sack I've ever seen a QB take.

Matt Cassel was absolutely pathetic.

No, sorry, he would have to improve by leaps and bounds to achieve pathetic.

aturnis
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
McBath from Denver would be a decent pickup I would think. Not sure what he did in Denver, but I remember he was solid when at Tech.

I'll take him...

pr_capone
09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Matt Cassel was absolutely pathetic.

No, sorry, he would have to improve by leaps and bounds to achieve pathetic.

Quoted fer fucking truth

loce1959
09-13-2011, 09:02 PM
If you care about putting a quality product on the field, why wasn't all of this shored up during the off-season. Especially given the the amount of cap room the Chief's had?

acarter25
09-13-2011, 09:07 PM
If you care about putting a quality product on the field, why wasn't all of this shored up during the off-season. Especially given the the amount of cap room the Chief's had?

the 30 million dollar question.

Frankie
09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Sure, lets bring in some help, it certainly couldnt hurt.

But between Berry, Moeaki & the one they call Cassel, no one out there is going to save the season.

Ummm,... DICK STANZI?!

Frankie
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Sharper in for 5 games, then becoming injured, would mean 5 games that Sobby won't see as much playing time. I'm not seeing a downside here.

Good point.

JD10367
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
The Pats are also thin at both TE and S. They have Crumpler on speed-dial waiting for him to get 100% healthy, and they also brought Sharper in for a workout a few weeks back (and I can only assume decided he wasn't quite healthy enough either). I hope they bring both of them on board, so IMO I certainly think the Chiefs can do a lot worse than those two. And Kaczur was more of a cap casualty than anything else.

Frankie
09-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Did Maneri play at all on Sunday?

booger
09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
All those players in the OP are vets and/or had some sort of injury. Crowder is taking the year off/retired because he couldn't land a starting gig. Most likely would of chosen Buffalo who signed Barnett at ILB instead. I'm not as worried about the OL since they picked up Maneri. He is pretty raw but more ready for action than David Mims or Butch Lewis. Kazcur is someone i would expect them to workout when he is healthy enough so they can have an accurate report on him if the need for another OL comes available. Sharper will have better options than KC. If he doesn't need the money i don't see it. Lofa T isn't a fit for this defense.

I think they need a backup mike LB because Williams is too small for that spot. Haley said last week if they need arises they would shift DJ over to Belcher's spot and bring in Williams at RILB. They are playing a numbers game there and Justin Cole is in the mix just a call up from the practice squad away.

Safety and TE are concerns IMO. I wanted them to upgrade from the 3rd S spot from McGraw and sign someone like Jordan Babineax who signed w/Titans. McGraw, Sabby, Washington, and Langford(if they bring him back in the picture) are all more in the box type and have coverage weakness's. If they are going by who was in camp and knows the playbook, Ricky Price or Lawrence moving from CB to S make sense. I would like to see Sabby cut and them bring in 2 guys. maybe they add one of the guys they had in camp and someone new to the team.

Here's a partial list of DB's, mostly safetys that I think would warrant interest.

Gerald Alexander
Al Afalava
Stevie Brown
Josh Bullocks
Quinton Demps
Chris Horton
Robert Johnson *on Titans PS
Shiloh Keo *Texans PS
Mark Legree
Trevard Lindley *more of a CB
DeAndre McDaniel *Colts PS
Brandon McGowan
Kevin Payne
Brandon Underwood
Chip Vaughn

As far as TE they worked out Justin Peele, more of a blocker IMO.
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1106033&nid=5840969&fhn=1

He ended up signing w/SF. I think they need more of a stretch the middle of the field type. Slate would make sense to bring back. I like the guy they had in the 2010 camp, Leroy Banks. Fast guy w/good hands just need to get a bunch stronger and needs time with his blocking. Dorrin Dickerson was with houston and a tweener TE/wr type. Hell, Baldwin when his cast comes off will help just being a big target. I'm sure Cassel will find ways to overthrow him.

In addition to some help at DB they really need Lewis to step up his game and show some improvement.

booger
09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
If they could somehow reunite Cassel with Pete Carroll in Seattle the world would be a much better place for chief fans

JD10367
09-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I forgot about McGowan. I liked him, and was perplexed when they cut him, but then forgot all about him in the larger perplexion of when they then cut James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather. McGowan would be a good pickup. I think he mainly got cut because his first name was Brandon; we had three on the roster (him, Meriweather, and WR Brandon Tate), and Belichick cut them all so he obviously got sick of saying the name. :D

booger
09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I forgot about McGowan. I liked him, and was perplexed when they cut him, but then forgot all about him in the larger perplexion of when they then cut James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather. McGowan would be a good pickup. I think he mainly got cut because his first name was Brandon; we had three on the roster (him, Meriweather, and WR Brandon Tate), and Belichick cut them all so he obviously got sick of saying the name. :D

Haley likes him some Brandon. Flowers, Carr, Albert, Siler(on IR). Bair, the rookie FA. I think that's all. I bet his barber is named Brandon.

chiefscafan
09-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I think sharper would be the best addition we are gonna miss berry's leadership more than anything. Sharper solves this problem.

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Sharper will have better options than KC. If he doesn't need the money i don't see it.

I wouldn't mind over paying for him. Solve immediate issue if he can walk and if he wanted to squeeze another year out a backup to Eric next season.

The Franchise
09-13-2011, 11:13 PM
The Pats are also thin at both TE and S. They have Crumpler on speed-dial waiting for him to get 100% healthy, and they also brought Sharper in for a workout a few weeks back (and I can only assume decided he wasn't quite healthy enough either). I hope they bring both of them on board, so IMO I certainly think the Chiefs can do a lot worse than those two. And Kaczur was more of a cap casualty than anything else.

Yeah....your TE depth is horrible. :rolleyes: