PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Dishwashing Machines: WHY?!?!?

alnorth
09-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I've been wondering about this lately, and I'm not sure if I'm somehow wildly incorrect.

Most of our modern home appliances either saves us a lot of time, or they accomplish a task more effectively. I'm beginning to think Dishwashing machines don't really do anything for the former, and is only a marginal improvement on the latter.

I'm sure we've all heard the joke about dishwashing machines. We spend all this time rinsing dishes and scrubbing off all the caked-on food before putting the mostly-clean dish in the washing machine, the comedian chuckles and asks, so what is the point? We all laugh and think hahaha, that is funny, and it is so applicable to my life, why do we do that? Then we forget the joke and carry on with using our dishwashing machines.

The detergent and the super-extreme-hot water might do a very slightly better job of cleaning the dishes, if by "clean" you don't really mean getting the food off, but instead are talking about killing a few more bacteria. If you let the dish dry in the wire dish-holder in the second sink and then put it away dry for another few days before the next use, aren't most of those germs dead anyway? And if not, does it matter? If that is not good enough, then who are you, Howie Mandel?

Ever since I moved out to my own place over a decade ago I've always had a dishwasher, and I've always mindlessly used it (after scrubbing and rinsing dishes) like my parents did, but now I look at it and I see a lot of wasted electricity and heat. Some people claim dishwashers save water, but I doubt that since most people rinse dishes anyway, and even if you don't, you probably don't live in SoCal or AZ, so water is cheap anyway.

Isn't this a retarded waste of time and money? It sure as hell doesn't save much time in my mind, I usually get the dish about 80% of the way clean, in my mind, to where I'd be happy with putting it in that weird wire dish-holding thing in the other sink to dry then put it away, but oh no instead of doing that, I load it into that hot water using electricity-wasting machine to, eventually when it is full, handle that last 20% and kill those last few harmless germs I don't really care about. The time I'm saving is wasted by loading and unloading the damned dishwashing machine.

If you have a huge family of 8 people who generates a ton of dishes every day and 7 of those people are too lazy to wash their own dish, OK I can understand, but assuming you don't have many people, or if your large family is civilized enough to clean their own mess, then isn't the dishwasher a retarded waste of time and money? Before I declare the dishwasher to be useless, am I missing something?

blaise
09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I sort of know what you mean, but I just remember the last apartment I had with no dishwasher and it seemed like I was always washing dishes.

Phobia
09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Interesting.

pr_capone
09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a dishwasher that I don't have to do shit to the dishes before putting them in. At most I scrape shit off the plate into the garbage disposal.

Load, push a button, and go do something else in the time I would normally spend in front of the sink.

BigRock
09-14-2011, 11:30 PM
What kind of circa 1991 piece of shit dishwasher still needs to have the dishes pre-rinsed?

-King-
09-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I hate dishwashers. Can never trust them. I always hand wash.

09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Hell, I haven't met a dishwasher yet that didn't need the dishes rinsed before putting them in. They always say the dishes don't need rinsed and when I put it to the test it is all a damn lie.

el borracho
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
My dishwasher isn't great at cleaning plates but she's an alright cook, I guess.

alnorth
09-14-2011, 11:36 PM
What kind of circa 1991 piece of shit dishwasher still needs to have the dishes pre-rinsed?

even so, I'm not eating gooey, stickey food every day. It isn't an endless array of lasagna and pie, many times it is soup and water. A LOT of what we eat can be rinsed off in like 4 seconds to where if you look at it, you no longer see a dirty dish. Hit it with a rough sponge for a few seconds, its good when it dries.

I think we MASSIVELY overestimate how much time we are really saving, when using the dishwasher still involves loading, putting in soap, operating the machine, and unloading the machine.

Instead of doing all that, hit it with a sponge for a few extra seconds. If every dish routinely looks like hell, OK a modern strong dishwasher might save you a couple minutes.

pr_capone
My dishwasher isn't great at cleaning plates but she's an alright cook, I guess.

If she makes a good penis holder then you are set.

mikey23545
I hate dishwashers. Can never trust them. I always hand wash.

Exactly.

I would bet all the yokels who are going to post that they never have to rinse their dishes first and they come out of the dishwasher looking just fine have 20-80 vision...

09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Exactly.

I would bet all the yokels who are going to post that they never have to rinse their dishes first and they come out of the dishwasher looking just fine have 20-80 vision...

When did you get that name change?

Frazod
09-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Interesting thread.

Our dishwasher broke several months ago, and I absolutely don't give a shit. Perhaps if we had a house full of kids it would be different, but it's just the two of us. Barely takes longer to do the dishes than it did to load the thing.

I suppose I'll get it replaced eventually, but I don't miss it at all.

09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I've always wondered how much water I am really saving using a dishwasher.

Phobia
09-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Have you guys ever had a dishwasher with a stainless steel tub?

You have to spend $500+ to get a dishwasher that actually does what it's supposed to do properly but they're out there.

09-15-2011, 12:57 AM

You have to spend $500+ to get a dishwasher that actually does what it's supposed to do properly but they're out there.

I have one. Not very impressed though.

BoltWalt
09-15-2011, 01:04 AM
What are you some kind of environmental freak?

cdcox
09-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I've gone a couple periods in my life without one, and I wouldn't want to go back.

I'm really careful washing my dishes. If I'm hand washing I'll wash a glass, then wash it some more around the rim where you put your mouth. If I wash a fork, I'll wash it, then inspect between the tines to make sure it is really clean. Then comes the rinsing, which you completely left off. I'm going to rinse something until there is no trace of bubbles. That probably means 3 times. Rinsing can take as long as washing.

With a DW, I get in generally clean, without freaking about about the rim of the glass or the space between the fork tines, then throw it in the DW with the soap film still on it.

When I'm cooking, I'll try to keep cleaning as I go. If I'm done with something, and I have a waiting period, I'll rinse it off and throw it in the DW. No way am I going to do the same if I'm hand washing, because the dish rack will take valuable counter space I'm using for cooking. And no way do I leave clean dishes in one of the sinks on a wire rack. One sink is for soapy water and the other is for washing hands and rinsing other things. When ever I go to someone's house who has dishes drying in the sink, I want to pick up the whole rack and smash it on the floor.

09-15-2011, 01:16 AM
I've gone a couple periods in my life without one, and I wouldn't want to go back.

I'm really careful washing my dishes. If I'm hand washing I'll wash a glass, then wash it some more around the rim where you put your mouth. If I wash a fork, I'll wash it, then inspect between the tines to make sure it is really clean. Then comes the rinsing, which you completely left off. I'm going to rinse something until there is no trace of bubbles. That probably means 3 times. Rinsing can take as long as washing.

With a DW, I get in generally clean, without freaking about about the rim of the glass or the space between the fork tines, then throw it in the DW with the soap film still on it.

When I'm cooking, I'll try to keep cleaning as I go. If I'm done with something, and I have a waiting period, I'll rinse it off and throw it in the DW. No way am I going to do the same if I'm hand washing, because the dish rack will take valuable counter space I'm using for cooking. And no way do I leave clean dishes in one of the sinks on a wire rack. One sink is for soapy water and the other is for washing hands and rinsing other things. When ever I go to someone's house who has dishes drying in the sink, I want to pick up the whole rack and smash it on the floor.

LMAO

It kills me how many take all that time to hand wash their dishes and then leave them out to air dry rather than towel dry them and put them away.

cdcox
09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
LMAO

It kills me how many take all that time to hand wash their dishes and then leave them out to air dry rather than towel dry them and put them away.

Well I'm not towel drying the dishes. We have a wooden euro looking rack that sits on the counter, but we rarely use it. DWFTW.

kcxiv
09-15-2011, 01:30 AM
never owned a dishwasher in my life. Just do them by hand. takes only a few minutes. Like others have said, dont trust em. I seen some nasty shit at other peoples houses, then i get the. ooh the dishwasher must not have cleaned it right. oooook.

-King-
09-15-2011, 01:31 AM
LMAO

It's more sanitary to air dry than to towel dry.

cdcox
09-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Useless info:

Here are the items that we hand wash:

1. Two good knives
2. Large stock pot
3. Large cutting board
4. Electric Griddle
5. Electric frying pan
6. Clay pot, the kind you soak in water before using (no soap)
7. Crock pot
8. Iron skillet (no soap)
9. Wok (no soap)
10. Large stainless steel flat bottomed wok pan.
11. Big roasting pan we use at Thanksgiving for the turkey
12. Our back-up cookie sheet
13. This giant Tupperware bowl
14. A wooden salad bowl
15. Two non-stick pans used mostly for eggs and grilled sandwhiches
16. Two thermometer probes
17. Fat separator

XXXshogunXXX
09-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Dishwashers are more for sanitizing... Some people use filthy sponges and "clean" their dishes with it, when theyre really just spreading more of teh filth from the sponge. Then they lick the broth off their plate along with the germs from the sponge.

09-15-2011, 01:35 AM
It's more sanitary to air dry than to towel dry.

Maybe, but I don't like my kitchen counter cluttered up.

SPchief
09-15-2011, 01:53 AM
heh

Holladay
09-15-2011, 03:27 AM
I think this is still the off season:(

Or at least not a football board.

Kids/Wife quickly rinse the darn things, they put them in the machine on extra heat to sanitize, then they (kids/wife) put them away...whilst I watch the NFL channel.

Then they get me another beer:)

BTW, I'm looking at getting a Nailpuller. Bought an old barn. Got all the wood with a crap load of nails to pull out.

Wanna talk dishwashers or nailpullers?

ChiefGator
09-15-2011, 03:57 AM
BTW, I'm looking at getting a Nailpuller.

You are going to pull off your fingernails? Eewwwww....

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Bought a new dishwasher a few months ago and don't have to do more than get the chunks off. Waited for the right time and jumped on a $600 dishwasher on sale, along with the wife's special order discount at Lowe's, and got the thing delivered for just over $300.

MahiMike
09-15-2011, 06:30 AM
I think we've used ours twice in the last 6 yrs.

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 06:51 AM
I've found only old farts that were raised without a dishwasher dislike/don't use dishwashers.

If you have to rinse off the dishes before you wash them, you need to buy a new dishwasher.

Amnorix
09-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Some of you guys are on crack. I worship at the altar of my dishwasher and washing machine. Those things save a ton of time and effort.

I dunno what kind of pre-wash rinse you guys need to do, but I've never needed to do much more than a quick rinse to make sure the type of stuff that will stick and get caked on is mostly off. Obviously I check when I take stuff out that nothing ended up caked on anyway, and if so then I need to scrub, but usually that's not a problem.

I spend enough time hand-washing the stuff we don't put in the dishwasher -- high end knives, no-stick pans, etc. I dont' need to wash every damn dish.

suds79
09-15-2011, 07:12 AM
It probably is a valid point and perhaps a waste.

I've always scrubbed my dishes before putting them in. As far as I can tell, they look clean. It's just something I've always done.

But I have a friend who doesn't touch them and just sticks them in. I suppose it's the cr@p getting clogged down there that bothers me.

In the end, I think you have a valid point. But if you're single or unmarried? Good luck getting your future wife on board with this plan. Just sayin you might end up having one anyways and when you're doing the dishes, you just hand wash them.

Earthling
09-15-2011, 07:14 AM
I've found only old farts that were raised without a dishwasher dislike/don't use dishwashers.

If you have to rinse off the dishes before you wash them, you need to buy a new dishwasher.

Hey, this old fart loves 'em. ;)

Frosty
09-15-2011, 07:23 AM
I think the bigger problem now is that the new "no phosphate" dish soap sucks.

DaFace
09-15-2011, 07:36 AM
You apparently spend 1) far more time rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher than I do and 2) spend far less time washing dishes by hand than I do. For me, it's DRAMATICALLY faster to use a dishwasher than to do it by hand. Not even close.

Bwana
09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
You apparently spend 1) far more time rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher than I do and 2) spend far less time washing dishes by hand than I do. For me, it's DRAMATICALLY faster to use a dishwasher than to do it by hand. Not even close.

Bingo!

If you step up to a decent machine. you don't have to wash every last fragment of food off, before placing the dishes in the dishwasher.

Donger
09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Because washing with a dishwasher saves water, energy and time compared to washing the dishes by hand.

4th and Long
09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I can wash a sink full of dishes, by hand, in about 5 minutes and in the process, save a ton of water and all the electricity needed to run a dishwasher. Besides, you have to wash the dish before you put it in the dishwasher anyway, if you want the dish to be clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I can wash a sink full of dishes, by hand, in about 5 minutes and in the process, save a ton of water and all the electricity needed to run a dishwasher. Besides, you have to wash the dish before you put it in the dishwasher anyway, if you want the dish to be clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wrong. All wrong.

Donger
09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Question: how often do you clean and/or throw out the tool (towel, sponge, etc.) that you use to clean these dishes?

Predarat
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
What is all this shit about washing dishes? for 2.99 you get a stack of 200 of these babys. No rinsing, no washing, no sorting and putting away. Use it, put it in the trash can when finished and you are done with it. Kinda like a 5 dollah hookah.

http://www.jybtabletopcatering.com/images/paper_plates.jpg?772

DaFace
09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Lots of people who have shitty dishwashers around here apparently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Funny how it's always the people who own dishwashers, who think dishwashers are unnecessary. Like a car owner complaining about filling it with gas, changing the oil, vacuuming the inside, washing and waxing, sheesh this vehicle is nothing but a pain in the ass....

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:19 AM
What is all this shit about washing dishes? for 2.99 you get a stack of 200 of these babys. No rinsing, no washing, no sorting and putting away. Use it, put it in the trash can when finished and you are done with it. Kinda like a 5 dollah hookah.

Win.

Dayze
09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
we use paper plates for simple stuff like sammiches, chips, pizza roll thingies etc. and just use regular plates for heavier, more messy dishes.

but on the topic of dishwashers, I don't think I could do them by hand for an extended period of time. before cooking, I make sure the dishwasher has enough space for the stuff I'm about to dirty up. then as I'm cooking, I load it in there; just scrapping off the large chunks of stuff (if at all) down the disposal. after dinner, all I have to do is toss in the last plate or two, run the washer; done.

only thing I hand wash is my big wooden cutting board/block; and my pots and pans which are very very nice.

Donger
09-15-2011, 08:31 AM
only thing I hand wash is my big wooden cutting board/block; and my pots and pans which are very very nice.

Our pots are also very nice. They were my wife's grandmother's pots. She was getting a little bit off when we got married and thought that I was the anti-Christ, so that always gives me a smile when I wash them.

DMAC
09-15-2011, 08:34 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkccx3aKx01qhunl2o1_250.gif

Frazod
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Not true - always had a dishwasher growing up. Of course, after that, I lived in enough older/crappy apartments, particularly in Chicago, that I didn't have one for years. But I've been in my current home for over 10 years now and the dishwasher just broke recently. I was surprised that I didn't miss it, but I don't. The wife, however, does not share this sentiment. Eventually she'll bitch enough that I'll replace it, but we're not quite to that point yet.

As for the paper plate thing, uh, NO. The very notion of it sends up trailer trash warning signs.

lcarus
09-15-2011, 08:37 AM

The one I have. :(

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Not "Dishwasher-Safe"?

Yeah, you are going to "soak" for quite awhile.

ChiTown
09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

:clap:

WV
09-15-2011, 08:42 AM
The detergent and the super-extreme-hot water might do a very slightly better job of cleaning the dishes, if by "clean" you don't really mean getting the food off, but instead are talking about killing a few more bacteria.

Unless your choosing the sanitize option, the water inside your dishwasher is no hotter than it is out of your faucet. Even then I believe the sanitizing comes from steam and not hot water. Don't use this option and the dry option and there's virtually no way it costs more to operate.

Donger
09-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I have to use the heated dry option. Have to. Must.

Johnny Vegas
09-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I spent $600 on a portable dishwasher and the thing is fuckin awesome. You know how many fights I saved myself from having after getting that thing!? its a relationship saver if your the type that leaves a dirty glass in the sink for a day and the other half can't fuckin stand dirty dishes laying around. I usually rinse all my dishes before anything dries and cakes on so its a breeze loadin the washer up and gettin that shit done while I play video games and my balls.

Frazod
09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I spent $600 on a portable dishwasher and the thing is fuckin awesome. You know how many fights I saved myself from having after getting that thing!? its a relationship saver if your the type that leaves a dirty glass in the sink for a day and the other half can't fuckin stand dirty dishes laying around. I usually rinse all my dishes before anything dries and cakes on so its a breeze loadin the washer up and gettin that shit done while I play video games and my balls.

I used to live with a woman who wigged out over a dirty dish in the sink or a dirty sock on the floor. I lived with her for about seven months, which was about eight months too long. The bitch is lucky she's not buried in a shallow grave in the woods somewhere.

Bearcat
09-15-2011, 08:59 AM

I have one of those, but haven't ever used it. We used one every once in a while at my last place, with 2-3 of us living there, but since it's just me at the moment, I don't really see the point... plus, my water pressure kind of sucks.

Pants
09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Because they rule, that's why.

Also, don't buy offbrand dishwasher soap because it leaves the white shit deposited all over the plates and glasses. Spend the extra 80 cents and get Cascade for that clean look.

Johnny Vegas
09-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I used to live with a woman who wigged out over a dirty dish in the sink or a dirty sock on the floor. I lived with her for about seven months, which was about eight months too long. The bitch is lucky she's not buried in a shallow grave in the woods somewhere.

you know I say I saved myself the dirty dishes fight, but really that little argument has switched over to folding clothes and putting them away. If I can find a dryer that can fold clothes then I'm good.

ChiTown
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Also, don't buy offbrand dishwasher soap because it leaves the white shit deposited all over the plates and glasses. Spend the extra 80 cents and get Cascade for that clean look.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YfRsMG58L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Johnny Vegas
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

those Finish tablets are pretty hardcore, too. Listen to me and my Susy Homemaker advice. Goddamnit!!!

Donger
09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YfRsMG58L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

I had a plumber tell me not to use those, as the plastic (or whatever it is) surrounding the detergent never dissolves completely and can lead to drain blockage.

4th and Long
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Question: how often do you clean and/or throw out the tool (towel, sponge, etc.) that you use to clean these dishes?

I usually let the dishes soak for a while and a wash rag does the trick. It gets used once. If I have to use a 'tool' it gets replaced every other week for 99 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
I had a plumber tell me not to use those, as the plastic (or whatever it is) surrounding the detergent never dissolves completely and can lead to drain blockage.

He is a dumbass.

ChiTown

:hmmm:

Thanks, I'll have to check into that, but I'd guess he is wrong.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Buy a better dishwasher.

I throw mine in there with shit all over them. Just make sure you don't do the heat dry (it will cake on anything left behind whereas the air dry will let it sluff off) and you're fine.

Besides, it also gives you a place to put dishes for 3 or 4 days before cleaning them. Otherwise they'd just pile up in your sink or you'd have to wash dishes every night. I did that in college - forget it; never again.

Pants

Yeap, we use the exact ones. My woman used to buy the Target brand ones and always blamed her dishwasher for doing a shitty job. I kept telling her it was the shit soap and she wouldn't believe me. So I bought some Cascade packets one time and she's been converted ever since.

Donger
He is a dumbass.

That's true.

4th and Long
09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Lots of people who have shitty dishwashers around here apparently.
Posted via Mobile Device

My dishwasher is OK. I was raised by an old school cathoilc mother who was divorced and saved every penny she could so that her sons didn't have to go without. It carried over to me I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRock
09-15-2011, 09:24 AM
If you still have to pre-rinse your dishes, it's one of two things.

1) You haven't bought a new one since Steve DeBerg was here.

or

2) Your wife makes the decisions and she purposely bought some low-pressure garbage because it won't take the pattern off her favorite dishes.

HEY RUMSFIELD

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9271/burbs.jpg

Frosty
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Any one else have a better half that refuses to run the dishwasher unless absolutely every spot is filled, even if you are down to eating your cereal out of Tupperware bowls with a grapefruit spoon?

blaise
09-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Any one else have a better half that refuses to run the dishwasher unless absolutely every spot is filled, even if you are down to eating your cereal out of Tupperware bowls with a grapefruit spoon?

I do that. I fill that thing all the way up.

Dragonocho
09-15-2011, 09:31 AM
This reminded me of Bob and Tom's Mr Obvious dishwasher episode. Can't post the link, but it's on youtube.

mlyonsd
09-15-2011, 09:31 AM
ChiefsPlanet, we're one week into the new season, and we're discussing dishwashers. Bad omen.

Anyway, I don't put real chunky stuff into our dishwasher but will put them in pretty dirty. Does a fine job. Kitchen-Aid.

And for things like my short deep fat frying pan I put on the turkey cooker burner, grates or water pan off my smoker it's the only way to go.

DMAC
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
FUCK ITS ALREADY THE OFFSEASON

ChiTown
09-15-2011, 09:40 AM
**** ITS ALREADY THE OFFSEASON

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234181751_bfcf4ec.gif

-King-
09-15-2011, 09:52 AM
I have to use the heated dry option. Have to. Must.

Buy a better dishwasher.

I throw mine in there with shit all over them. Just make sure you don't do the heat dry (it will cake on anything left behind whereas the air dry will let it sluff off) and you're fine.

Besides, it also gives you a place to put dishes for 3 or 4 days before cleaning them. Otherwise they'd just pile up in your sink or you'd have to wash dishes every night. I did that in college - forget it; never again.

:)

mikeyis4dcats.
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Hell, I haven't met a dishwasher yet that didn't need the dishes rinsed before putting them in. They always say the dishes don't need rinsed and when I put it to the test it is all a damn lie.

you need a Bosch.

Pants
09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
you need a Bosch.

My parents just got a Bosch that's completely silent. My dad is a huge a Consumer Report dork so he probably got the one they recommended.

What I'm trying to say is: THIS.

Donger
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
you need a Bosch.

The Germans always make good stuff.

DJ's left nut
09-15-2011, 10:17 AM
:)

Hey, I'm not gonna argue with the man, to each their own.

But I tried the heat dry and all it does is make sure that anything left behind gets baked to the plate. The air dry doesn't do that. I've always found that I'm much more pleased by the results when I don't use the heat dry than I am when I do.

patteeu
If you need to pre-wash your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher, you either need a better dishwasher or better detergent or both. I rarely have to pre-wash. I scrape scraps off into our trash can and sometimes I run some water over the dish to pre-wet it, but that's about it. On the rare occasion where a dish doesn't get completely clean in the dishwasher, I'll finish it by hand.

We switched to the "Complete" version of Cascade dishwashing powder a few years ago after seeing a comparison done by Consumer Reports and it makes a big difference compared to the cheaper regular version.

Bearcat
ChiefsPlanet, we're one week into the new season, and we're discussing dishwashers. Bad omen.

Eh, it's always been like this... Sat through ~Tues/Wed are primarily about football during the season, then people get bored with all the "OMG we suck!" or "OMG we're awesome" threads, depending on if the Chiefs lost or won... so, more off topic stuff starts to show up on the front page & people complain about it as if all topics from the previous/upcoming games & the team in general haven't been discussed eleventy billion times already.

luv
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
A dishwasher also serves as a place to store dirty dishes whenever you have unexpected guests. That's worth quite a bit right there. :)

sd4chiefs
09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
WOW! You know it's going to be a bad football season when everyone is talking about dishwashers.

Amnorix
09-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally I said +1, but my memory is that there was a different reason we don't use them. I'll ask a "higher authority" if I remember, and post here, but yeah, we don't use those for a very specific reason.

Amnorix
09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I do that. I fill that thing all the way up.

We do that, but with 2 kids it works out to be every-other-day mostly. I'll run it if it's 90% full because one more dinner and it will be 125% full and that's not where I want to be to say the least.

But yeah, we don't run it at 40% full ever. I know some people who run it every night whether it's one dish or a hundred.

-King-
09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
A dishwasher also serves as a place to store dirty dishes whenever you have unexpected guests. That's worth quite a bit right there. :)

This LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

ct
09-15-2011, 11:37 AM

The key is you must run the dishwasher immediately! If you say put breakfast dishes in the rack, only scraping off the large chunks, then let em sit until after dinner to run the washer, that stuff is NOT coming off, but the dinner dishes will.

Graystoke
09-15-2011, 11:42 AM
you need a Bosch.

Ya know I bought a Bosch after I had to completely redo my house after the floods of 2008. I thought fuck it...I am going all out and getting a dishwasher.
Thing is quite as hell, but it would take hours (like 6) to do a load. I went through all the manuals, called tech support the whole bit, but to no avail.

I just gave up and the dishwasher is going out and being replaced by cabinet drawers.

I am like the OP. If your gonna rinse you might as well wash.

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
you need a Bosch.

Mine is a Bosch. Maybe that's why I have no problems.

Stewie
09-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Dishwashers rule. Load them properly, add enough detergent, and let it rip. They save water, energy and soap.

BossChief
09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a dishwasher.

Its called a girlfriend.

Stewie
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a dishwasher.

Its called a girlfriend.

Heh! Just don't tell her.

Extra Point
09-17-2011, 02:55 PM
My dishwasher works great. I enjoy seeing my wife bend over, to load and unload it.

BossChief
09-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Heh! Just don't tell her.

If she saw that post, she would laugh and hit me in the shoulder...thats about it.

stevieray
09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
dishes?

that's what kids are for....:harumph:

Just Passin' By
09-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Bosch dishwasher + Cascade = Clean dishes

RJ
09-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Isn't it preferable to have both options available?