PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Chili time!

Stewie
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
It's cool outside and I haven't had chili in a loooong time. It's been simmering for a long time and my house smells awesome. Corn bread will be baked to round things out.

Okie_Apparition
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Do you put soaked oatmeal in your cornbread to make more moist

Stewie
09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Do you put soaked oatmeal in your cornbread to make more moist

Nope. The eggs and buttermilk keeps it moist.

luv
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I've never had cornbread with chili. Always have it with bean....and mustard.

Stewie
09-15-2011, 04:35 PM

What? Never had chili with cornbread? Commie! :p

crispystl
09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I just made chili tonight. Anyone have any good recipes?

Lonewolf Ed
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I am waiting until it is a bit cooler out before I make chili. If there is a chill in the air where I can see my breath, then it's time for that first ever so satisfying, warm-you-up batch of chili! Mine is fairly simple and straight forward, not too fancy, but it sure hits the spot. I use ground sirloin fried in olive oil in a skillet, finely ground like taco filling. I season it in the skillet with Worcestershire sauce, coarse black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

In a big pot, I add 2 or 3 cans of Ranch beans depending on how many people are going to help me eat it, one small can of Contadina tomato paste, one medium can of Contadina tomato sauce, one 16 oz. can of organic diced tomatoes (without seasoning, just the tomatoes), half a yellow onion and some pieces of garlic minced finely, more coarse black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, English mustard powder, chili powder, and a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Once the meat is done, I add it to the pot and simmer it for an hour, then serve with extra sharp cheddar and saltines.

crispystl
09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
I am waiting until it is a bit cooler out before I make chili. If there is a chill in the air where I can see my breath, then it's time for that first ever so satisfying, warm-you-up batch of chili! Mine is fairly simple and straight forward, not too fancy, but it sure hits the spot. I use ground sirloin fried in olive oil in a skillet, finely ground like taco filling. I season it in the skillet with Worcestershire sauce, coarse black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

In a big pot, I add 2 or 3 cans of Ranch beans depending on how many people are going to help me eat it, one small can of Contadina tomato paste, one medium can of Contadina tomato sauce, one 16 oz. can of organic diced tomatoes (without seasoning, just the tomatoes), half a yellow onion and some pieces of garlic minced finely, more coarse black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, English mustard powder, chili powder, and a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Once the meat is done, I add it to the pot and simmer it for an hour, then serve with extra sharp cheddar and saltines.

No cumin?

Lonewolf Ed
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
No cumin?

Yes! I thought I was forgetting something. It's easier when I am looking in the cabinet where my spices are. Thanks for the save. :clap:

crispystl
09-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes! I thought I was forgetting something. It's easier when I am looking in the cabinet where my spices are. Thanks for the save. :clap:

Ok that's more like it. I was thinking who the hell makes chili without cumin?

RealSNR
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
http://nextround.net/2011/08/how-to-make-2am-chili

Abba-Dabba
09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Nope. The eggs and buttermilk keeps it moist.

I prefer to keep cornbread moist using whole kernels. Canned or defrosted works best. Keeps the cornbread moist and gives it a rustic feel.

SAUTO
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
For an easy chili I go with williams six gun chili fixings. Pretty good shit.

Couple cans of beans, couple cans tomatoes, two big pouches, and part of the cayenne pouch if the family is eating it
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
try making it w/ sauteed beef tenderloin cubes, you'll have to sear the 1/4" cubed - I like using peanut oil for that.

BigMeatballDave
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds good.

I love my Chili with Frito's, jalapeņos, and Cheddar cheese.

BigMeatballDave
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Oh, and NO kidney beans. I will shank a bitch.

Simply Red
09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
IIRC I think Chili is one of Stewies favorite things.

Buehler445
09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I made some chili with some left over smoked brisket that was pretty big pimpin. I would recommend trying it.

Frosty
09-15-2011, 11:13 PM

We used to make a recipe where you would mix up a batch of cornbread in a baking pan, dump chili onto the top of batter, sprinkle cheese on top and then bake until the cornbread was done. It was really quick but good.

BoltWalt
09-16-2011, 02:52 AM
I just made chili tonight. Anyone have any good recipes?
Take your can opener and open a can of Hormel Chilly without beans heat it on the stove, then take your fresh hot dog buns and sharp grated cheddar cheese and your favorite hot dogs and combine perfectly and enjoy great chilly cheese dogs.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
09-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Sometimes you can't beat this combo for a quick and cheap dinner!

Take your can opener and open a can of Hormel Chilly without beans heat it on the stove, then take your fresh hot dog buns and sharp grated cheddar cheese and your favorite hot dogs and combine perfectly and enjoy great chilly cheese dogs.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
09-16-2011, 04:14 AM
leftover chili is great because you can do some cool stuff. For breakfast, I will fry up some corn tortillas, scramble some eggs and put some chili on top and add jack cheese for a breakfast tostada. left over chili actually makes for a nice topping on meat loaf.

ILChief
09-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Sounds good.

I love my Chili with Frito's, jalapeņos, and Cheddar cheese.

That's a winner!

MahiMike
09-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Did this last weekend for opening day. Yum!

cabletech94
09-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I made some chili with some left over smoked brisket that was pretty big pimpin. I would recommend trying it.

i judged a chili cookoff a while back. my ABSOLUTE favorite had brisket chipped in it.

IT WAS PHENOMENAL!!!!!

if i could have given the cook REP, i would the whole thing.LMAO

BigOlChiefsfan
09-16-2011, 06:53 AM
A couple of my chili tricks:

One box of Jiffy cornbread, one box of Jiffy yellow cake mix, 2 or 3 eggs, bake as per instructions on carton (I have an old cast iron cornbread 'skillet', heat it first, oil it hot and add the batter hot) - sometimes I add a big pinch of cumin seed to batter.

Make your chili con carne per your favorite recipe - just before serving drizzle in some sesame oil, stir well.

I don't put beans into the chili - but I open/triple rinse a can of red beans and a can of hominy, heat in a separate pan with a can of chopped green chile and a couple ladles full of the broth from the chili pot. A ladle full of beans/hominy topped with chili con carne for those as like beans with theirs, the others get theirs straight - no chaser.

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2011, 07:54 AM
A couple of my chili tricks:

One box of Jiffy cornbread, one box of Jiffy yellow cake mix, 2 or 3 eggs, bake as per instructions on carton (I have an old cast iron cornbread 'skillet', heat it first, oil it hot and add the batter hot) - sometimes I add a big pinch of cumin seed to batter.

Make your chili con carne per your favorite recipe - just before serving drizzle in some sesame oil, stir well.

I don't put beans into the chili - but I open/triple rinse a can of red beans and a can of hominy, heat in a separate pan with a can of chopped green chile and a couple ladles full of the broth from the chili pot. A ladle full of beans/hominy topped with chili con carne for those as like beans with theirs, the others get theirs straight - no chaser.

Hominy is the absolute worst thing one can do to corn.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Actually, it's good for the corn - I can see you not liking the taste but by soaking the 'field corn' in lye they remove a few layers of the corn. "In addition to preserving the grain as foodstuff, this process also affords several significant nutritional advantages over untreated maize products. It converts some of the niacin (and possibly other B vitamins) into a form more absorbable by the body, improves the availability of the amino acids, and (at least in the lime-treated variant) supplements the calcium content, balancing maize's comparative excess of phosphorus."

I like the stuff - was raised on it. Luckily nobody has to come over to eat at my house.

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, it's good for the corn - I can see you not liking the taste but by soaking the 'field corn' in lye they remove a few layers of the corn. "In addition to preserving the grain as foodstuff, this process also affords several significant nutritional advantages over untreated maize products. It converts some of the niacin (and possibly other B vitamins) into a form more absorbable by the body, improves the availability of the amino acids, and (at least in the lime-treated variant) supplements the calcium content, balancing maize's comparative excess of phosphorus."

I like the stuff - was raised on it. Luckily nobody has to come over to eat at my house.

Maybe. But it's ****in' gross. :harumph:

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I have two variants of chili. If I want chili and don't want to go all out for 3 hours making it, the package called "5 Alarm Chili" in the seasoning packet aisle of the grocery store is quite tasty. You brown meat, add a couple cans of tomato sauce, water and the packets, and you're good to go. What I like about it is that they package all the ingredients separately, so you have a cumin packet, a cayenne packet, a salt packet, etc. and you can make adjustments per your taste.

The other variation is one of my three recipes that I don't give out. If I have it available, I used venison instead of beef, but I don't always have that option.

I've said it on the board before, as well, and I'll say it again: If you're making chili and using store-bought chili powder, you're missing out. A homemade chili powder can take a good chili and make it stellar! Here's one to get you started:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I know it's not "traditional chili" (which only has meat, no beans) but I make a vegetable chili, usually with plenty of heat.

Bump
09-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I have to dip my chili with tortilla chips, but it's not really chili since I use a few different types of beans and corn and what not. Also, sour cream is a must too.

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I know it's not "traditional chili" (which only has meat, no beans) but I make a vegetable chili, usually with plenty of heat.

That looks like something my wife introduced me to called "white corn chili".
1 lb meat, 1 large jar of salsa, 1 can beans (optional), 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can white corn. Brown the meat and drain, add everything else, bring to a boil, drop heat, cover and simmer for half hour.

It's kind of a Tex-Mex chili, but it's pretty tasty.

Predarat
09-16-2011, 08:47 AM
i judged a chili cookoff a while back. my ABSOLUTE favorite had brisket chipped in it.

IT WAS PHENOMENAL!!!!!

if i could have given the cook REP, i would the whole thing.LMAO

One of our local BBQ places does that and it is AWESOME!

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 08:50 AM
That looks like something my wife introduced me to called "white corn chili".
1 lb meat, 1 large jar of salsa, 1 can beans (optional), 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can white corn. Brown the meat and drain, add everything else, bring to a boil, drop heat, cover and simmer for half hour.

It's kind of a Tex-Mex chili, but it's pretty tasty.

It's a pretty simple recipe. I start with oil, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, chili powder, marjoram, and a lot of pepper. Then I throw in tomato paste, other vegetables (bell pepper, green chilis, carrots, etc.), beans (red kidney, black, and pinto), and tomatoes, along adding heat (jalapeno, scotch bonnet/habanero, serrano, etc.). Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for a while and get happy. Awesome.