PDA

View Full Version : Life Question about continuing education

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 06:46 AM
My wife finished her associate's degree as a paralegal this week. I am very proud of her and I don't know that it has sunk in for her that she completed it despite her mother always telling her she would never accomplish anything.

Now she is looking at going on for a bachelor's degree. However, she is unsure about where to go. She just finished at Virginia College and can continue all the way through a masters there through online courses. She is also looking at a couple of other online schools (she is kind of leaning towards Strayer) but wants to know if changing schools at this point would be seen as a negative. It might be possible for her to attend a ground school but it would be easier going online at this point as we are both hoping she can get a job finally (it has been 4 years).

I have no experience to answer this question and figured our diverse group here could give some insight.

TimeForWasp
09-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Congratulations.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Changing schools would not be looked down upon at all.

If you live in Austin, why doesn't she look at UT? It's a great school and they probably have some online degree programs.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 06:56 AM

If you live in Austin, why doesn't she look at UT? It's a great school and they probably have some online degree programs.

Yep, UT offers online programs: http://www.utexas.edu/ce/uex/

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Honestly had not thought of that. Getting into the ground school can be difficult but did not think about whether they had online courses. I will have to take a look and see if they have anything along the lines of her plans as a Paralegal.

Otter
09-16-2011, 07:03 AM
I've been out of the main stream college loop for about 9 years now but changing schools after completing a degree was always seen as a positive move because of the different changes in philosophy from school to school and how it would broaden the students perspective by switching.

From my experience, which is limited, that would be seen as a positive if a potential employer were to even take that into consideration which is also doubtful unless she's working on a PhD.

I've had very poor experiences with online schooling. To me it was no different than buying a textbook from Amazon and learning by yourself. There's really no one to ask questions, discuss problems or sit down in a group and poke away at the objective when trying to complete an case study or whatever the end game may be. I found on-line college a joke to pay for because it's nothing you can't do on your own.

Education (again this is only my opinion, take it with a grain of salt) is at the infant stage of going through a paradigm shift because of the internet. You really don't need to pay an institution to hold your hand and walk you up the stairs because of the vast amount of information, resources and groups available with a connection to the internet and you can focus study on a particular subject as opposed to going thru the liberal arts bullshit.

I'm in the IT world as far as a career but just giving you my point of view.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm juggling stuff atm.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Yep, UT offers online programs: http://www.utexas.edu/ce/uex/

I will point this out to her and have her do some checking but that is looking like they offer some courses but no degree program online.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 07:07 AM
I've been out of the main stream college loop for about 9 years now but changing schools after completing a degree was always seen as a positive move because of the different changes in philosophy from school to school and how it would broaden the students perspective by switching.

From my experience, which is limited, that would be seen as a positive if a potential employer were to even take that into consideration which is also doubtful unless she's working on a PhD.

I've had very poor experiences with online schooling. To me it was no different than buying a textbook from Amazon and learning by yourself. There's really no one to ask questions, discuss problems or sit down in a group and poke away at the objective when trying to complete an case study or whatever the end game may be. I found on-line college a joke to pay for because it's nothing you can't do on your own.

Education (again this is only my opinion, take it with a grain of salt) is at the infant stage of going through a paradigm shift because of the internet. You really don't need to pay an institution to hold your hand and walk you up the stairs because of the vast amount of information, resources and groups available with a connection to the internet.

I'm in the IT world as far as a career but just giving you my point of view.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm juggling stuff atm.

I am going to University of Phoenix online myself right now and in many, many ways agree with you. But doing it yourself does not get you that piece of paper that everyone seems to think is important. So I am going into debt to get a piece of paper that says I should get a better paying job. Sucks but seems to be the way this world works nowadays.

RedNFeisty
09-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Congrat's to the Mrs's!

I have been taking classes the past two years now, just about done with my associates when I decided to change degrees. The first three semesters were all online. Great Professors, plenty of discussion threads to hash out issues. Could even call the Professors at anytime. With that being said, this semester I have two classes on campus, which I am liking much better.

At the Community College level, students are expected to change schools of course. It isn't going to look bad at all if she decides to switch. Just make sure where she switches to will accept her credits.

K-State has a great online program for anyone that lives anywhere. Not sure what degrees they offer, but worth checking out!!

oldandslow
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
I have worked as a Prof for nearly 35 years...Gonna retire someday...but here is my 2 cents.

First, many colleges, such as UT, offer entire majors online. They are a much better value (and in many cases cheaper) than the Kaplan or U of P options. The University of South Dakota, for example, costs less than half of what those other folks charge. For profit universities are, for the most part, pretty incompentent at everything except taking your bucks. The teachers that are there often cannot get a job anywhere else.

Second, go to a smaller, 4 year school if you get the opportunity. It is a much better educational experience. A class of 15-20 taught by a full prof is simply better than a class of 250 taught by a Graduate Teaching Assistant. The ugly little secret major research universities don't want you to know is that they care about Research first. It is where the money is, especially since state funding has dried up. I have tenure here because in my first 6 years of teaching, I had co-written 2 books and published 17 peer reviewed articles. Do you think I payed enough attention to teaching while doing that? I sent my kids to smaller 4 year schools to get their undergrad degrees. Think Truman in Mo. Great school and relatively inexpensive.

Late in life, I have changed my stance, and am now paying much more attention to the classroom. But I am not trying to get tenure or promotion any more either.

Finally, take your time with college. Work. Keep the student loans down. You are better off taking 9 hours a semester and paying for it than taking 15 and ending up 100,000 dollars in debt in the end. Patience is a virtue - you will spend much more time paying off that money than the couple of extra years it took to get your degree. There are all kinds of scholarships and grants out there. Find and use them.

Anyway, that is my view from the other side of the desk.

Ace Gunner
09-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Go cheap. Employers don't pay based on where you went unless you're running with the big boys, which you can't run with unless you are one of them. You just use the paper to get in the door. The rest is up to you.

Omaha
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Congrat's to the Mrs's!

I have been taking classes the past two years now,

When do they cover apostrophe usage?

Fat Elvis
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
I have worked as a Prof for nearly 35 years...Gonna retire someday...but here is my 2 cents.

First, many colleges, such as UT, offer entire majors online. They are a much better value (and in many cases cheaper) than the Kaplan or U of P options. The University of South Dakota, for example, costs less than half of what those other folks charge. For profit universities are, for the most part, pretty incompentent at everything except taking your bucks. The teachers that are there often cannot get a job anywhere else.

Second, go to a smaller, 4 year school if you get the opportunity. It is a much better educational experience. A class of 15-20 taught by a full prof is simply better than a class of 250 taught by a Graduate Teaching Assistant. The ugly little secret major research universities don't want you to know is that they care about Research first. It is where the money is, especially since state funding has dried up. I have tenure here because in my first 6 years of teaching, I had co-written 2 books and published 17 peer reviewed articles. Do you think I payed enough attention to teaching while doing that? I sent my kids to smaller 4 year schools to get their undergrad degrees. Think Truman in Mo. Great school and relatively inexpensive.

Late in life, I have changed my stance, and am now paying much more attention to the classroom. But I am not trying to get tenure or promotion any more either.

Finally, take your time with college. Work. Keep the student loans down. You are better off taking 9 hours a semester and paying for it than taking 15 and ending up 100,000 dollars in debt in the end. Patience is a virtue - you will spend much more time paying off that money than the couple of extra years it took to get your degree. There are all kinds of scholarships and grants out there. Find and use them.

Outstanding advice on all accounts.

Otter
09-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Do you feel that online education at this stage in the game takes away from the experience as opposed to a classroom atmosphere? As mentioned above I found online classes to be nothing but rubbish. I could come here and discuss a subject with the same results. As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet the feedback and brain pool would be better here because of the broader base of input.

I'm not trying to beat up online learning but lets say you had an equal choice between the two.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Go cheap. Employers don't pay based on where you went unless you're running with the big boys, which you can't run with unless you are one of them. You just use the paper to get in the door. The rest is up to you.

Yes and no. I look at the school when I'm interviewing candidates for an engineer position.

Saulbadguy
09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Do you feel that online education at this stage in the game takes away from the experience as opposed to a classroom atmosphere? As mentioned above I found online classes to be nothing but rubbish. I could come here and discuss a subject with the same results. As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet the feedback and brain pool would be better here because of the broader base of input.

I'm not trying to beat up online learning but lets say you had an equal choice between the two.

I've done a mixture of in-class and online classes, I like online much better. I've talked to people who don't like online classes.

I take the classes from the same 4 year university.

1adam1238
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
The online courses have given me great flexibility. There are some problems with them, but the flexibility has been perfect for my needs. I earned my bachelors at CMSU in the late 80's and it was fine for me in that time frame. I have earned my master's online and will finish my PHD next year. It has worked for me.

Saulbadguy
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
The online courses have given me great flexibility. There are some problems with them, but the flexibility has been perfect for my needs. I earned my bachelors at CMSU in the late 80's and it was fine for me in that time frame. I have earned my master's online and will finish my PHD next year. It has worked for me.

Where are you going for your masters?

1adam1238
09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Where are you going for your masters?

I earned my master's through the university of Phoenix in 2004. I am working on my PHD with Walden.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I earned my master's through the university of Phoenix in 2004. I am working on my PHD with Walden.

An online PhD?

1adam1238
09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
An online PhD?

The course work is done online. I have to attend residency programs throughout the term of my enrollment. I will then start and complete my dissertation.

Brock
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes and no. I look at the school when I'm interviewing candidates for an engineer position.

Absolutely. There are some degrees where it doesn't matter where you went, but engineering and scientific degrees are different.

lewdog
09-16-2011, 10:15 AM

I agree with this. Face-to-face is a much more enjoyable experience. I understand that online definitely works more for people who have kids and jobs but to me the classroom experience provides a much better learning environment, especially considering in the real world you have to deal with people on a daily basis for most jobs. Classroom discussions also provide a much richer degree of self-awareness about the topic at hand.

I think a lot of it also depends on the degree you are earning as to whether online or face-to-face is going to be more beneficial.

I had a choice between doing my Master's work online or moving somewhere different and doing it face-to-face. I am so glad I moved and while school is stressful, dealing with competent professors/professionals on a daily basis is so much more rewarding that sitting in front of a computer.

oldandslow
09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

I cannot speak for all online classes.

If you ask my opinion, however, they are an inferior product. And it depends on the class. Algebra or stats, if you are math competent, should be no problem online. Literature classes, rhetoric classes, performance based classes (i.e. music, etc) should never be taught online. Any class in the sciences is problematic when taught online. Especially those with labs.

Given the choice between the two, I would always take the face to face class.

luv
09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Congrats to your wife! I will be getting my Associate's as a Paralegal in February. I have gotten advice saying to go on for a Bachelor's, but that's if I'm dreaming of someday going beyond that. A Bachelor's would look better than an Associate's. I'm already working as a legal assistant. I'm taking an ALS (accredited legal secretary) certification test in next weekend. Initials after my name will help me more once I'm in the field than what degree I have. If she wants to go for a Master's, what is her ultimate goal? Law school?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-16-2011, 10:32 AM

The unasked question there is, do you look at the school to see if it's known in its field (AKA, UMR for Engineers? Central Missouri for Avionics, Industrial Safety, etc.) or are you just looking for name recognition?

I recommend a small school over a larger one also (having gone to and still attending D-II universities), BUT, I also would choose a small school that's known to have an excellent program. I wouldn't go to U-Alaska Anchorage to study tropical biology, if you know what I mean. *grin*

Ace Gunner
09-16-2011, 10:34 AM

take a look at the #'s coming out of engineering compared to DOJ based fields. It ain't even in the same universe.

oldandslow
09-16-2011, 10:35 AM
The unasked question there is, do you look at the school to see if it's known in its field (AKA, UMR for Engineers? Central Missouri for Avionics, Industrial Safety, etc.) or are you just looking for name recognition?

I recommend a small school over a larger one also (having gone to and still attending D-II universities), BUT, I also would choose a small school that's known to have an excellent program. I wouldn't go to U-Alaska Anchorage to study tropical biology, if you know what I mean. *grin*

There is a caveat. Undergraduate degrees from small schools are fine (with the exception of Ivy league schools). Graduate degrees from top universities mean much more. Both in the academic and corporate worlds.

PunkinDrublic
Gotta pimp my alma mater. Look into UNT. They have a huge number of online degree programs plus they have the cheapest tuition in the state.

Ace Gunner
Congrats to your wife! I will be getting my Associate's as a Paralegal in February. I have gotten advice saying to go on for a Bachelor's, but that's if I'm dreaming of someday going beyond that. A Bachelor's would look better than an Associate's. I'm already working as a legal assistant. I'm taking an ALS (accredited legal secretary) certification test in next weekend. Initials after my name will help me more once I'm in the field than what degree I have. If she wants to go for a Master's, what is her ultimate goal? Law school?

bingo

Otter
09-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Just glad we could go off on a total tangent. You're welcome Hydra. :D

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Both. I'm going to initially view a candidate with an engineering degree from Georgia Tech more favorably then someone with an engineering degree from Florida State.

PunkinDrublic
09-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Both. I'm going to initially view a candidate with an engineering degree from Georgia Tech more favorably then someone with an engineering degree from Florida State.

Even if they know all the words to the seminole rap?

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2011, 10:59 AM
My view....finishing her degree from real school would be the preferred option (with some online coursework, but also some real classes.) I know online degrees are becoming more acceptable, but generally speaking--they are a notch or two below, in terms of marketability (although experience in the field can offset that.) I understand that the convenience of online schools and degrees is alluring, but many employers view them as what they are--diploma mills bent on siphoning students (especially marginal ones) from traditional schools. I say this as someone who teaches 4-5 online classes a year...in addition to my full-time teaching job.

DaKCMan AP
09-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Even if they know all the words to the seminole rap?

Even if they also have a degree from FSU's clown college.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Sorry, oldandslow....beat me to it. Should have read the thread. There is your answer, Hydrae....good luck. Congrats to the wife.

Dayze
09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
I've often thought about going back to school; but I'm too old, and don't think anything interests me enough to devote the kind of time committment necessary to finish a degree. Wish I would've been more serious about i when I was in my early 20's.

ModSocks
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Pfff.

School is for loosers. Drop out and smoke pot.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-16-2011, 11:23 AM
There is a caveat. Undergraduate degrees from small schools are fine (with the exception of Ivy league schools). Graduate degrees from top universities mean much more. Both in the academic and corporate worlds.

I'll agree up to a point.

Considering the people I work with in the corporate world, I'd avoid the Ivy Leaguers like the plague. 90% of the time, they really DON'T know more than the people from smaller schools but have 500% more arrogance when you have to deal with them.

But, I fully admit that's anecdotal.

However, for me, at 52, I'm going to a DII school for my Masters in English. My ultimate goal is to work as adjunct faculty at one of the local Junior Colleges (unless some insane moment strikes and I actually pursue my PhD *brrrrr*), in addition to my current job. There are a number of reasons I chose to go to Bowie State U. but it mainly boils down to:

A- it's about 1/2 the cost of going to Maryland and 1/3 the cost to go to Hopkins (this ties directly into point E). I see no real benefit to pay to go to a more expensive school at this point and time in my life.
B - it's about 20 minutes from work as opposed to having to drive an hour into DC traffic to go to MD.
C - class size is smaller
D - so far the professors I'm working with are published authors as well as having scholarly papers to their credit, so they can help me with questions I have re: the publishing industry instead of how to get a poem published in the college journal.
E - my company wants me to get a Masters and they're willing to reimburse me up to a point, so staying as close to that yearly ceiling as I can is considered "a good thing".

oldandslow
09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
MCF:

I know lots of folks from Ivy League Schools. Most are a horse's ass. Doesn't change the fact that an Ivy league degree guarantees interviews, and all things being equal, a job.

As far as graduate work, it really depends on what you are using it for. But, in my experience, the more prestigious the school, the more likely the interview.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the replys everyone! I have busy at *gasp* work and have just gotten a chance to catch up on all of this.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I've often thought about going back to school; but I'm too old, and don't think anything interests me enough to devote the kind of time committment necessary to finish a degree. Wish I would've been more serious about i when I was in my early 20's.

I'm 51 and have another year and a half to get my bachelors in IT with an emphasis in Database Administration. This was one of the only programs I could find specific to database administration and that is what I want to do, become a DBA.

Point is, age is not a stopping point! I wish I had done this back when also but am glad to finally be getting my act together.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Pfff.

School is for loosers. Drop out and smoke pot.

Been there, done that. I think I may have gotten the shirt too but don't remember.

:)

Dayze
09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm 51 and have another year and a half to get my bachelors in IT with an emphasis in Database Administration. This was one of the only programs I could find specific to database administration and that is what I want to do, become a DBA.

Point is, age is not a stopping point! I wish I had done this back when also but am glad to finally be getting my act together.

nice.

yeah; my problem is two fold. No idea what I'd want to do; and not sure what the return on my investment would be. Dunno. Primarily the first part. The only thing I'd be interested enough in is probably culinary school.
But I'm not sure I want to go to school for 3+ years and possible apprentice for 3 years after that to make $10/hr and be 40 yrs old. Oh well.

lewdog
09-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Congrats on taking that step, both you and your wife.

I see a lot more "older" non-traditional students in class with the economy like it is. I think it is very beneficial to further yourself with more education at times like these but the only concern I have with older students is if they have to rack up high student loan debt at such an age. So while the degree may get you a higher paying job, just make sure that the pay increase you see won't just be getting shelled right back out to pay off student loans.

Best of luck to you and your wife. I am trying to convince my girlfriend, who has no college education, to take that step. It isn't always easy.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Congrats on taking that step, both you and your wife.

I see a lot more "older" non-traditional students in class with the economy like it is. I think it is very beneficial to further yourself with more education at times like these but the only concern I have with older students is if they have to rack up high student loan debt at such an age. So while the degree may get you a higher paying job, just make sure that the pay increase you see won't just be getting shelled right back out to pay off student loans.

Best of luck to you and your wife. I am trying to convince my girlfriend, who has no college education, to take that step. It isn't always easy.

I know that for a few years the extra income will go to paying off the loans but then I should still have a good 10 years of saving the extra income. That is the only way I will have a hope of ever retiring. That, and this field is one where I hope I can do some contract/consulting work during my retirement to supplement the money and give me something to do instead of sit on my ass and waste away into eternity.

My wife going to school was a big part of what got me to go back. I would help her with her math and realize I could do this stuff. Then I had a boss who would ask me to do a write up of why something happened and work. She would read what I wrote and mention that she wished she had known me when she was in school so I could write her papers. She almost fell out of her chair when I told I didn't have a degree. So far I have 72 hours completed and have yet to score under a 90 (unfortunately a 90-94 is an A- so I do not have a 4.0 GPA) so obviously I am not too overwhelmed.

Hydrae
09-16-2011, 02:50 PM

At this point I do not think she is looking at a Master's program, that is just the level she can get to with Virginia College. In the best of all worlds, she would love to be a lawyer but I don't think she intends to try to go that far.

I will see if I can get her to post later. She obviously knows more about what she has done and wants to do down the road. The acronym NALA comes to mind as the next certification-like thing but I don't remember offhand what that stands for.

luv
09-16-2011, 03:12 PM
At this point I do not think she is looking at a Master's program, that is just the level she can get to with Virginia College. In the best of all worlds, she would love to be a lawyer but I don't think she intends to try to go that far.

I will see if I can get her to post later. She obviously knows more about what she has done and wants to do down the road. The acronym NALA comes to mind as the next certification-like thing but I don't remember offhand what that stands for.

NALA is a paralegal association she can join. National Association of Legal Assistants. That and NFPA are the two big national organizations for paralegals, legal assistants, and legal secretaries. They both have their own rules and ethics that fall in line with ABA's for attorneys. It's good to be associated with them. I'm with NALS (National Association of Legal Secretaries). I was able to join at a highly discounted rate as a student, but my activities are limited (I can't vote on stuff, etc). I plan on joining NALA next summer.

Anywho, the certifications that I can think of are ALS, CLA (I think), and PP. The ALS (Accredited Legal Secretary) has the lowest number of requirements. It's something like one year experience, but school time counts. CLA (Certified Legal Assistant, I think) I believe is three years, and PP (Professional Paralegal) I think is five years.

Anyway, I'm taking the certification route. Much cheaper, and I don't have to continue my education (in an institution). I, unfortunately, went to a for profit college, so this Associate's is going to cost me out the wazoo. :( I don't plan on doing anything more than being a Paralegal, so it fits my plan. If I decide to do more later, then at least I have that to build on.

Otter
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

http://www.thatfilmkid.com/storage/frank-the-tank-old-school-648737_900_600.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294776197948

Was Blue too old when he died KY wrestling in frat house basement? Buck up soldier!!!

Stewie
09-16-2011, 03:25 PM
My 2 cents:

It's nice her mother is so supportive. :huh:

My company offers tuition reimbursement (not unique) that allows any employee to pursue a degree and the company pays up to 90% tuition (depending on the grade received), plus 100% books and fees. She might be wise to jump in the job market now and consider companies that offer tuition reimbursement. If they do offer a job and pay for college it's a no-brainer.

Setsuna
09-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a question. Can I get my Masters in Architecture without my bachelors?

phisherman
09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
No.

DaKCMan AP
09-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I have a question. Can I get my Masters in Architecture without my bachelors?

:spock:

No.