PDA

View Full Version : KU Missouri town calls on KU to drop Jayhawks mascot

luv
09-19-2011, 07:31 AM
I thought this was an interesting read....

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3150369/missouri-town-calls-on-ku-to-drop.html#storylink=misearch

OSCEOLA, Mo. | City officials in Osceola, a southwest Missouri town of about 950 people, are asking the University of Kansas to drop its "Jayhawk" mascot because the name refers to a group of domestic terrorists that nearly destroyed the city 150 years ago.

In a resolution approved earlier this week, the Osceola Board of Alderman also asks the University of Missouri to educate Kansas on the history of the "Border War" and let people know there was more to it than William Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, Kan., in 1863.

Resentment still runs deep for residents of Osceola over the Sept. 22-23, 1861, siege by U.S. Sen. Jim Lane and a band of about 2,000 "Jayhawkers" that left a dozen men executed on the town square and the community itself a smoking ruin

"I grew up here, and it is all I heard about when I was attending grade school and high school," Mayor Larry Hutsler told the Columbia Daily Tribune. "Everyone knew who was responsible."

In the resolution, the city condemns "the celebration of this murderous gang of terrorists by an institution of 'higher education' in such a brazen and malicious manner."

Osceola had a population of about 2,500 before the 1861 attack, but fewer than 200 remained afterward. The city has never had as many residents as it did before the raid.

The attack was only one of several deadly episodes in the "Border War" over slavery between the two states. Lane was a radical abolitionist who formed his own militia at the outbreak of the Civil War and used it to punish Missourians.

When Quantrill's band attacked Lawrence — Lane's hometown — two years after the Jayhawkers' raid in Missouri, many of the guerrillas shouted "Remember Osceola" as they were killing about 200 of the city's men and burning down a quarter of the town.

The Osceola resolution asks Missourians to stop spelling Kansas or KU with a capital letter, since "neither is a proper name or a proper place." In the resolution, both words are lowercase throughout.

Rick Reed of Osceola, who brought the resolution to the aldermen, doesn't think the measure will persuade the University of Kansas to dump the Jayhawk.

"I don't expect them to do anything," he said. "They are so arrogant and uppity."

A Kansas spokeswoman downplayed the Civil War origin of the school's mascot.

"A Jayhawk is a blue bird with a red head and a big yellow beak that wears boots," spokeswoman Jill Jess said in an email to the Daily Tribune. "It would be hard to confuse it with anyone with terrorist intent, though we admit we have been terrorizing the Tigers on the basketball court for some time. Tigers have been known to kill people. Bears, too."

Missouri's Tigers mascot also has Civil War roots, named for the Unionist militia set up to protect Columbia from guerrilla raids, the newspaper reported.

luv
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I have to say that, if you were that upset over a college's mascot, why would you wait 100+ years to say something?

Dave Lane
09-19-2011, 07:33 AM
"A Jayhawk is a blue bird with a red head and a big yellow beak that wears boots," spokeswoman Jill Jess said in an email to the Daily Tribune. "It would be hard to confuse it with anyone with terrorist intent, though we admit we have been terrorizing the Tigers on the basketball court for some time. Tigers have been known to kill people. Bears, too."

Reerun_KC
09-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Those silly slavers...

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-19-2011, 07:35 AM
We attack Sedalia at high noon fellow troops.

Imon Yourside
09-19-2011, 07:36 AM
I thought this was an interesting read....

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3150369/missouri-town-calls-on-ku-to-drop.html#storylink=misearch

OSCEOLA, Mo. | City officials in Osceola, a southwest Missouri town of about 950 people, are asking the University of Kansas to drop its "Jayhawk" mascot because the name refers to a group of domestic terrorists that nearly destroyed the city 150 years ago.

In a resolution approved earlier this week, the Osceola Board of Alderman also asks the University of Missouri to educate Kansas on the history of the "Border War" and let people know there was more to it than William Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, Kan., in 1863.

Resentment still runs deep for residents of Osceola over the Sept. 22-23, 1861, siege by U.S. Sen. Jim Lane and a band of about 2,000 "Jayhawkers" that left a dozen men executed on the town square and the community itself a smoking ruin

"I grew up here, and it is all I heard about when I was attending grade school and high school," Mayor Larry Hutsler told the Columbia Daily Tribune. "Everyone knew who was responsible."

In the resolution, the city condemns "the celebration of this murderous gang of terrorists by an institution of 'higher education' in such a brazen and malicious manner."

Osceola had a population of about 2,500 before the 1861 attack, but fewer than 200 remained afterward. The city has never had as many residents as it did before the raid.

The attack was only one of several deadly episodes in the "Border War" over slavery between the two states. Lane was a radical abolitionist who formed his own militia at the outbreak of the Civil War and used it to punish Missourians.

When Quantrill's band attacked Lawrence — Lane's hometown — two years after the Jayhawkers' raid in Missouri, many of the guerrillas shouted "Remember Osceola" as they were killing about 200 of the city's men and burning down a quarter of the town.

The Osceola resolution asks Missourians to stop spelling Kansas or KU with a capital letter, since "neither is a proper name or a proper place." In the resolution, both words are lowercase throughout.

Rick Reed of Osceola, who brought the resolution to the aldermen, doesn't think the measure will persuade the University of Kansas to dump the Jayhawk.

"I don't expect them to do anything," he said. "They are so arrogant and uppity."

A Kansas spokeswoman downplayed the Civil War origin of the school's mascot.

Missouri's Tigers mascot also has Civil War roots, named for the Unionist militia set up to protect Columbia from guerrilla raids, the newspaper reported.

Clearly with all of America's problems the Jayhawk is something we need to be worried about.

LMAO

Ace Gunner
09-19-2011, 07:37 AM
I have to say that, if you were that upset over a college's mascot, why would you wait 100+ years to say something?

This is a job for Homeland Security

SLAG
09-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Me thinks they have been eating some rotten cheese and its gone to their head

Sent via tapatalk from the Photon 4G

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Yes we are... winning 2 titles in the last 40 years in the one sport we're good at while bowing out eleventy hundred times to mid majors on a national stage makes us arrogant and uppity.

Quotes like that are half the reason I love beating MU at anything.

Inferiority complex much Oseola?

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
We attack Sedalia at high noon fellow troops.

You leave my hometown alone, you vicious rapscallion.

Only in the news because the 150th anniversary of Lane's sacking of Osceola is Thursday/Friday. If you read the whole thing, it sounds like this is a "get facts out there" attempt. They don't expect anything to actually happen.

Osceola was a big, growing town before the raid. It never recovered from the attack (in which all but 8 of the several hundred buildings in town were burned down) and then the depopulation of Missouri counties a few years later.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Only in the news because the 150th anniversary of Lane's sacking of Osceola is Thursday/Friday. If you read the whole thing, it sounds like this is a "get facts out there" attempt. They don't expect anything to actually happen.

OK we'll leave Sedalia alone. I like Sedalia anyway. Oh hell wasn't supposed to say that.

How about Chillicothe? The Hardees there fucked up my order once...

CrazyPhuD
09-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Ahhhh inbreeding still alive and well even outside of WV!

Predarat
09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
They
can
fuck
off

Frazod
09-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Osceola was a big, growing town before the raid. It never recovered from the attack (in which all but 8 of the several hundred buildings in town were burned down) and then the depopulation of Missouri counties a few years later.

They have had 150 years to get over it, though. That's kind of lame.

Still, it's a good enough reason to sack Lawrence again. :bang:

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
They have had 150 years to get over it, though. That's kind of lame.

Still, it's a good enough reason to sack Lawrence again. :bang:

Yeah. I'm not going out of my way to defend Osceola.

Sedalia, on the other hand? You can pry my cold, dead corpse away from the burned-out shell of the Thompson Hills shopping center.

Frazod
09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah. I'm not going out of my way to defend Osceola.

Sedalia, on the other hand? You can pry my cold, dead corpse away from the burned-out shell of the Thompson Hills shopping center.

Sedalia - it's a nice place to stop and piss if you're driving between Lee's Summit and Jeff City. :p

Fish
09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
150 years of butthurt.... wow....

gblowfish
09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Remember, we have all the B-2 bombers here at Whiteman. Watch your ass...

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Sedalia - it's a nice place to stop and piss if you're driving between Lee's Summit and Jeff City. :p

Yeah, pretty much. Must be why my folks think I don't get home enough or something...

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 08:46 AM
150 years of butthurt.... wow....

I'm not sure how many of the residents now are actually descended from residents at the time (it can't be many - there were only 200 Osceolans still in the town after Lane burned almost all the buildings and took every item of value away).

I understand "not forgetting" if you're related to folks who lived through it. Otherwise? Just an amusing little side note.

I guess a positive that could come from it is that maybe it helps educate people about the actual Border War a little bit better? Maybe some of the actual hatred would boil over if we'd all admit that both sides of the state line were home to roving bands of murdering, thieving thugs...

That would free us to get back to sports-driven hatred. Which is what it's really all about.

GloryDayz
09-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Just LOL!!! Maybe some tribes should ask the Chiefs to give up their name too. It makes more sense...

luv
09-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Just LOL!!! Maybe some tribes should ask the Chiefs to give up their name too. It makes more sense...

The Chiefs weren't named after Indians, though. Then again, I guess Jayhawks weren't named after a band of murderers, either.

GloryDayz
09-19-2011, 08:54 AM
The Chiefs weren't named after Indians, though. Then again, I guess Jayhawks weren't named after a band of murderers, either.

They're not??? Well they don't dress up like Navy Chiefs (or where's the khaki??). And from everything I've seen, it's all about Indian and tribe...

What's the "Arrow" part of Arrowhead all about???

Dartgod
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Sedalia - it's the only place to stop and piss if you're driving between Lee's Summit and Jeff City. :p
FYP...
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
FYP...
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't sell the lovely town of Lamonte short...

gblowfish
09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah! What about Knob Noster, or Warrensburg, or Lone Jack??? Huh?
And in Centerview, you can rent a bus full of naked chicks that will give you beers and rub up against you!
I'm not kidding!
http://www.yourfantasyranch.com/home/home.htm

Bambi
09-19-2011, 09:22 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LMAO

luv
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
They're not??? Well they don't dress up like Navy Chiefs (or where's the khaki??). And from everything I've seen, it's all about Indian and tribe...

What's the "Arrow" part of Arrowhead all about???

Actually, I guess they were, in a roundabout way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Kansas_City_Chiefs

After three seasons in Dallas, Texas, it was apparent that Dallas couldn’t support two teams. Hunt investigated opportunities to move his team to several cities for the 1963 season, including Miami, Florida, Atlanta, Georgia, Seattle, Washington and New Orleans, Louisiana. Hunt wanted to find a city to which he could commute easily from Dallas, and when he was unable to secure Tulane Stadium because the university didn’t want its football program to compete with a pro team, he turned to Kansas City, Missouri, where Mayor H. Roe Bartle persuaded him to move to the Midwest.

The negotiations in Kansas City were conducted in secrecy. On several occasions Hunt and Jack Steadman were in Kansas City and met with businessmen, without the general public's knowledge. Bartle introduced Hunt as "Mr. Lamar" in all the meetings with other Kansas City businessmen. Steadman was introduced as "Jack X."

The support the team received from the Kansas City community before the team announced the move was extraordinary. Hunt made the move dependent upon the ability of Mayor Bartle and the Kansas City community to guarantee him 35,000 in season ticket sales. Hunt had set this number, being that it was the Texans' average attendance at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. An ambitious campaign took shape to deliver on Bartle’s guarantee to Hunt of tripling the season-ticket base the Texans had enjoyed in Dallas. Kansas City’s mayor also promised to add 3,000 permanent seats to Municipal Stadium, as well as 11,000 temporary bleacher seats. Along with Bartle, a number of other prominent Kansas Citians stepped forward to aid in the efforts, putting together more than 1,000 workers to sell season tickets.

Bartle called to his office 20 business leaders and called upon them to form an association later known as "The Gold Coats", whose sole objective was to sell and take down payments on the 35,000 season tickets required. "The Gold Coats" had to sell season tickets to people without knowing the team name, where it was coming from, who the owner was, which football league they would play in, who the players or coaches were, when the team would play its first game in Kansas City, or where it would play. Hunt gave Bartle a four-month deadline to accomplish the sales. Bartle and "The Gold Coats" made good in only 8 weeks. Later, Hunt admitted he was really only hoping for 20,000, for which he still would have moved the franchise. On May 22, Hunt announced he was moving the franchise to Kansas City, Missouri.

Hunt, with a roster replete with players who had played college football in Texas, wanted to maintain a lineage to the team’s roots and wanted to name the club the Kansas City Texans. "The Lakers stayed the Lakers when they moved from Minnesota to California," he reasoned. "But Jack Steadman convinced me that wasn’t too smart. It wouldn’t sell." The team was renamed the Kansas City Chiefs—one of the most popular suggestions Hunt received in a name-the-team contest. A name also considered at the time for the team was the Kansas City Mules.

The name, "Chiefs" is not only derived from a fan contest, but also from Mayor Bartle, who 35 years prior, founded the Native American-based honor society known as The Tribe of Mic-O-Say within the Boy Scouts of America organization, which earned him the nickname, "The Chief."

RNR
09-19-2011, 09:26 AM
They can eat shit~

Mr. Laz
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Fuck Osceola and every stupid asshole that lives there.

Frazod
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LMAO

You do realize that a jayhawk isn't a real bird, right?

Reerun_KC
09-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Its not? Dammit. Next your are going to tell me there isn't Santa Claus.

Bye nothing takes the sting off of yesterdaythan a good old border war smack thread.

Bowser
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok, there are obviously too many people in Osceola with way too much time on their hands.

That being said, Osceolans should be happy in a few years when KU is the driving force in the Mountain West. :D

Radar Chief
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

They already have. Same with the Redskins.

Radar Chief
09-19-2011, 09:59 AM

It's still real to me, damnit!

4th and Long
09-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Osceolans should be happy in a few years when KU is the driving force in the Mountain West. :D
Pfffttt. You can take your funny little joke and set right next to all of the Tiger's Big XII Championship trophies.

Oh, ... wait, ...

:D

Frazod
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
This thread has inspired me to have BBQ chicken for lunch. :)

gblowfish
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I blame the Chiefs.
Everybody's panties are up in a bunch this AM, so the Tiger and Jayhawk fans are taking turns smacking each other around....

Bowser
09-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Crispy on the outside, of course... ;)

Braincase
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I pissed off the good people of Osceola when I suggested that if SMU was going to be referred to as Southern Meth, perhaps Mizzou could be nicknamed Northern Meth.

Bump
09-19-2011, 10:32 AM
the meth must be great this time of year

Bearcat
09-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Orange chicken is good, too.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM
**** Osceola and every stupid asshole that lives there.

Why, look everyone. It's Jim Lane, resurrected!

Once wasn't enough? :D

LiveSteam
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
The best thing to ever come out of the boarder wars, is the movie Out Law Josey Wales

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hvf8r3cX3vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I pissed off the good people of Osceola when I suggested that if SMU was going to be referred to as Southern Meth, perhaps Mizzou could be nicknamed Northern Meth.

Is that the town where they filmed the movie Winter Bone? It really does not matter that movie pretty much sums up most of the state~

Radar Chief
09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
The best thing to ever come out of the boarder wars, is the movie Out Law Josey Wales

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hvf8r3cX3vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:spit: I reckon so.

CrazyPhuD
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Anyone else feel like the entrance to the town says

Welcome to Osceola
Now get off my lawn!

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Is that the town where they filmed the movie Winter Bone? It really does not matter that movie pretty much sums up most of the state~

it's a little surprising to see you trolling so hard. you generally always stay away from the smaque.

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
the only good thing in osceola is the cheese.

luv
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM

I must live in a bubble. I hate that my state is represented best by something like that. I don't see it, I don't know anyone who uses it (let alone makes it), and I don't see that many areas where people are so "back woods".

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
it's a little surprising to see you trolling so hard. you generally always stay away from the smaque.

I do but bullshit like this pisses me off a tad~

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I must live in a bubble. I hate that my state is represented best by something like that. I don't see it, I don't know anyone who uses it (let alone makes it), and I don't see that many areas where people are so "back woods".

I went to high school in the county that winter's bone was based on (christian county) and can assure you that, while it's no metropolis, like 99% of things in life, it's not as it's portrayed on tv.

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I do but bullshit like this pisses me off a tad~

you think they're being serious? take a chill pill and consider the source.

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM

That was a cheapshot on the state, but I have traveled around some of the sticks in your state and that movie is not far off from the backwoods. My brother and I bought a semi truck load of firewood one year from some backwoods people and I was glad to get out of there. I also worked in Bela Vista Arkansas for awhile which is right on the boarder. There are some strange folks around them parts. If you cater to the klan you will fit right in...I dont~

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
That was a cheapshot on the state, but I have traveled around some of the sticks in your state and that movie is not far off from the backwoods. My brother and I bought a semi truck load of firewood one year from some backwoods people and I was glad to get out of there. I also worked in Bela Vista Arkansas for awhile which is right on the boarder. There are some strange folks around them parts. If you cater to the klan you will fit right in...I dont~

dude, that's the case in half of the states in the union. to single out a single state because it fits your pro-KU purposes is pointless. hell, there are some areas of kansas that fit that profile PERFECTLY.

LiveSteam
09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Nothing wrong with McDonald County Missouri.

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
dude, that's the case in half of the states in the union. to single out a single state because it fits your pro-KU purposes is pointless. hell, there are some areas of kansas that fit that profile PERFECTLY.

I am not pro KU and I have never met a klan member in Kansas that I am aware of. I am sure they are there, but those I met in the south end of your state were damn right proud of it. Confederate flag flying sheet wearing assholes. It was even worse in north Arkansas~

luv
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM

So all of Missouri sucks because of your backwoods experience.

Ebolapox
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I am not pro KU and I have never met a klan member in Kansas that I am aware of. I am sure they are there, but those I met in the south end of your state were damn right proud of it. Confderate flag flying sheet wearing assholes. It was even worse in north Arkansas~

so where's your dog in this hunt? that's the whole point of this thread, yeah? forget the rednecks, forget the kluxxers, forget the sports-smaque. this is about the history behind the incident/border war.

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:56 PM
So all of Missouri sucks because of your backwoods experience.

Notice the start of the post, I said it was a cheapshot~

luv
09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
so where's your dog in this hunt? that's the whole point of this thread, yeah? forget the rednecks, forget the kluxxers, forget the sports-smaque. this is about the history behind the incident/border war.

When do threads ever stay on track. :p

And it's this reason I hate movies like Winter's Bone.

RNR
09-19-2011, 02:59 PM

I was born and raised in Kansas and there is damn sure two sides to that story. For them to play victim and slam Jayhawkers is silly. They would have a better case if the school went by red legs, and they would still be full of shit~

Donger
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I am not pro KU and I have never met a klan member in Kansas that I am aware of. I am sure they are there, but those I met in the south end of your state were damn right proud of it. Confederate flag flying sheet wearing assholes. It was even worse in north Arkansas~

Well, confederate flags are somewhat rare in Kansas.

luv
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I was born and raised in Kansas and there is damn sure two sides to that story. For them to play victim and slam Jayhawkers is silly. They would have a better case if the school went by red legs, and they would still be full of shit~

I don't think anyone ever said there wasn't two sides. Even the article itself mentions the attack on Lawrence. I just posted it because I thought it was interesting. I knew of Missouri's attack on Kansas, but I'd never heard of this one. Lawrence is thriving, while Osceola is...well....not. I think whoever said this was done more to raise the awareness and less to actually have anything done about it has the right idea.

RNR
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, confederate flags are somewhat rare in Kansas.

You see them, and I always wonder why they do sport them as it makes them appear as a racist idiot~

HemiEd
09-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I need some help here, as I am not that familiar with the OSCEOLA, Mo. residents. Most of the people I have met in Missouri are pretty bright and reasonable.

Do they really think there is a chance in hell of KU abandoning the Jayhawk?

Really?

|Zach|
09-19-2011, 03:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UHALo.gif

Donger
09-19-2011, 03:09 PM

:spock:

|Zach|
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
The only thing I know about Osceola was to slow the hell down when I was passing it going to and from college because there were always cops and radar on highways. Oh, and the cheese store.

09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes, and the chiefs and Redskins should change their name because it offends the natives.

Frazod
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM

You say "red legs" and "Jayhawkers" like there's a difference between them.

Murderous thieves using the abolitionist movement as cover. The. End.

Bwana
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Nuke them.........pussys.

luv
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
The only thing I know about Osceola was to slow the hell down when I was passing it going to and from college because there were always cops and radar on highways. Oh, and the cheese store.

I was getting ready to say nearly exactly the same thing. It's a town I drive through (slowing down to the speed limit) on my way to and from KC. I've stopped there for gas before, but I've never even had their cheese.

|Zach|
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I was getting ready to say nearly exactly the same thing. It's a town I drive through (slowing down to the speed limit) on my way to and from KC. I've stopped there for gas before, but I've never even had their cheese.

Me either. I just associate that with the BILLION road signs. LMAO

RNR
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM

LMAO in the world known as frazod~

Donger
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Frazod
09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
LMAO in the world known as frazod~

Yeah, frazod actually reads books on the subject.

RNR
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah, frazod actually reads books on the subject.

The wrong books~

luv
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
The wrong books~

So, tell us, what is the actual history of the border war?

Frazod
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm sorry. Would you prefer "thieving killers"?

And I recognize my side was no better. But if there are any Missouri teams calling themselves Bushwhackers, I am unaware of them.

Frazod
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
The wrong books~

Yeah right.

THEY'RE ALL EVIL SLAVERS! WE'RE ALL HEROES!

:whackit:

Donger
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM

A bunch of pro-slavery rednecks initiated violence against anti-slavery folks. It kind of snowballed from there.

Frazod
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
A bunch of pro-slavery rednecks initiated violence against anti-slavery folks. It kind of snowballed from there.

Wow. Spoken like a true Obamabot!

Donger
I'm sorry. Would you prefer "thieving killers"?

And I recognize my side was no better. But if there are any Missouri teams calling themselves Bushwhackers, I am unaware of them.

Shouldn't have started it, then.

Donger
Wow. Spoken like a true Obamabot!

LMAO

RNR

Both sides went over the line, and many crimes were blamed on both sides when it was nothing more than thieves and killers hiding their crimes under one side or the other. Side note one side disagreed with owning slaves and the other thought it was a god given right. I will let you guess which one was which~

Pants
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Sounds like ezbait, Teevo and Duncan Idaho. LMAO

luv
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Both sides went over the line, and many crimes were blamed on both sides when it was nothing more than thieves and killers hiding their crimes under one side ot the other. Side note one side disagreed with owning slaves and the other thought it was a god given right. I will let you guess which one was which~

I can't believe you base your opinions of a state on which side of the Civil War they fought on. Are all southern states klan supporting racists, or just Missouri?

gblowfish
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Eat Cheese, you beakers!
http://www.osceolacheese.com/

teedubya
heh.

Reerun_KC

It started when Kansas decided to protect the rest of America from Missouri...

So as far as I am concerned, Kansas still shoulders that responsibility.. We should close Missouri's boarders and treat them like a 3rd world country...

:clap: Just kicking the ambers and fanning the flames....

Reerun_KC
Eat Cheese, you beakers!
http://www.osceolacheese.com/

I like cheese...

Pants
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I can't believe you base your opinions of a state on which side of the Civil War they fought on. Are all southern states klan supporting racists, or just Missouri?

Shut ya whore mouth, ya ****ing slaver!

Brock
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Yeah, it isn't like some people from Missouri are holding a grudge against Kansas over it or anything. 150 years later.

RNR

Are you serious? I pointed out I was taking a cheapshot in the ealier post. I have said that both sides went over the line and pointed out one side supported owning slaves...when you asked me about the history of the war~

Frazod

Didn't you know? All our ancestors lived in huge four pillar mansions, owned hundreds of slaves and worshipped the devil!

Pants
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Didn't you know? All our ancestors lived in huge four pillar mansions, owned hundreds of slaves and worshipped the devil!

Yeap. Surprised she didn't know that.

|Zach|
This is all silly but I will say it is interesting when I go to Lawrence there are signs everywhere talking about this building being burned down or "this and this" being a part of the bloody struggle. It doesn't surprise me when all this stuff comes up a few times a year.

luv
Shut ya whore mouth, ya ****ing slaver!

Are you kidding? I wish I had a slave. Someone to cook for me and clean for me. Unfortunately, I haven't lived with my mother for quite some time.

RNR
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Admitting is the first step ;)

Pants
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Are you kidding? I wish I had a slave. Someone to cook for me and clean for me. Unfortunately, I haven't lived with my mother for quite some time.

I know you do. That's your slaver blood talkin', girl.

luv
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM

If my great-great-great-great grandparents were loaded, then someone down the line squandered the family fortune, dammit!

Donger
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM

LMAO

Bane
09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Fuck OSCEOLA and everyone in it.

luv
09-19-2011, 03:42 PM

Say, you wouldn't happen to be black, would you? :hmmm:

luv
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
**** OSCEOLA and everyone in it.

Well, there are only a couple of hundred people, so that shouldn't take too long.

luv
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
FYI, I was only kidding with my last two posts.

Talk about thread killers...lol.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like ezbait, Teevo and Duncan Idaho. LMAO

Hey, I capitalize the "k" when I think about what I'm doing. I just forget sometimes when I'm typing quickly and not really paying attention to how I say "Kansas." Old habits and all of that...

o:-)

Anyway, shouldn't you all be chopping people into pieces with broadswords or something?

Start Croyle
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
The origin of the mascot is common knowledge to everyone! Or at least I thought!

I mean, how can you live in Missouri or Kansas, especially close the border and not know about it!

I have been to Osceola. It is a very small town! But actually there are more towns than just that one that were involved in the border war/Jayhawk conflict!

Donger
09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
The origin of the mascot is common knowledge to everyone! Or at least I thought!

I mean, how can you live in Missouri or Kansas, especially close the border and not know about it!

I have been to Osceola. It is a very small town! But actually there are more towns than just that one that were involved in the civil war/Jayhawk conflict!

:spock:!

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

I have been to Osceola. It is a very small town! But actually there are more towns than just that one that were involved in the border war/Jayhawk conflict!The Jayhawk is a mythical cross between two birds—the noisy blue jay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_jay) and the quiet sparrow hawk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Kestrel).

farmerchief
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM

I have been to Osceola. It is a very small town! But actually there are more towns than just that one that were involved in the border war/Jayhawk conflict!

I'm a Jayhawk Fan, and the Jayhawk mascot is a lot better than the Pig they started out with!:clap:

Start Croyle
09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I am not saying I agree with the idea that the mascot should be changed. Actually I think it is a cool mascot! And I would be proud of the history in Lawrence if I lived there!

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Your sarcasm might be more effective without that avatar...

LMAO

Bill Brasky
09-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Well at least it's not another article about realignment....

Spott
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
They can do whatever they want with the mascot as long as Radio can keep his job for another 20 years.

Bambi
09-20-2011, 08:52 AM
I am not saying I agree with the idea that the mascot should be changed. Actually I think it is a cool mascot! And I would be proud of the history in Lawrence if I lived there!

Lawrence is a fantastic place to live, learn, and raise children.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

QFT