PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Forbes: The NFL's Most Overpaid Players

Lzen
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
<hgroup> http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2011/09/19/the-nfls-most-overpaid-players/

9/19/2011 @ 1:07PM |333 views

The NFL's Most Overpaid Players
http://specials-images.forbes.com/imageserve/0bQTayl2iVb0Q/300x210.jpg?fit=scale&background=FFFFFF

</hgroup>Click for full photo gallery: Overpaid Players in the NFL (http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/the-nfls-most-overpaid-players#content)

It’s been a decent start for third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez, the former first round pick who’s completed 63% of his passes and thrown for four touchdowns in leading the New York Jets (http://www.newyorkjets.com/)to victories in their first two games.

Sanchez, though, has also thrown three interceptions. He enters Week 3 with a middle-of-the-road passer rating of 87.7. That’s an improvement over the low 70s Sanchez averaged in his first two seasons after signing a rookie contract worth up to $60 million over five years. This season happen to be the balloon year of Sanchez’s five-year deal: he’s owed $14.75 million. Like any QB drafted high, Sanchez is being paid for the potential the club figures he has to develop into a star. But while he’s progressing, there’s no way to avoid viewing his salary as anything but excessive until that big year actually comes.

Hence, Sanchez is our choice to top the 2011 list of the NFL’s most overpaid players. Measuring pay vs. performance is trickier for football than for other sports. Quarterback ratings and yardage numbers are useful, but statistics in the NFL trend toward systems and game plans more so than in other sports. A top cornerback may lack big stats because opposing offenses avoid throwing to his side of the field (the Jets’ Darrelle Revis, known as a top corner, picked off zero passes last season because he rarely saw the ball).

So picking the most overpaid requires a touch of subjectivity and some common sense. Going down the list of the NFL’s highest 100 salaries for 2011, we focused on those whose career history is lacking not only statistically (QB passer ratings, etc.) but on those who haven’t consistently earned starting berths or who haven’t made All Pro despite collecting one of the top salaries in the game at his position. Base 2011 salaries were used, according to data kept by spotrac.com (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/) – not annual averages or one-time bonus payments.

Quarterbacks joining Sanchez on the all-overpaid list: San Francisco’s Alex Smith, who’s started just 50 games while putting up mediocre stats over six seasons, and Kansas City’s Matt Cassel, who is coming off a Pro Bowl season for the first time but whose $12.25 salary still dwarfs his status among top QBs.

Others fitting the bill: Atlanta Falcons’ cornerback Dunta Robinson (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/dunta-robinson/), whose $5.5 million salary places him in the top ten at his position despite the fact that he’s never made All Pro and who is ranked by ESPN as the NFL’s 19<sup>th</sup> best corner, and Miami defensive tackle Paul Soliai, who will collect over $12 million this season after the Dolphins tagged him as their franchise player, despite starting just 20 games in his first four years.

Sofa King
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
OMG SANCHEZ NOES!!1!! BESTEST QB!!

SAUTO
09-20-2011, 12:22 PM
and 3...2...1...

TEX
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Way to go Pioli! LMAO

BigRichard
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Shouldn't Tyson Jackson be up there?

Kerberos
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
With two exceptions, quarterbacks are doing well this year

Five quarterbacks (Romo, Brees, Rivers, Newton, Brady) currently are on pace to shatter the single-season passing yardage record, set by Dan Marino in 1984. Two more (Hasselbeck, Rodgers) are on pace to come close to matching it. But it’s not just the best quarterbacks who are having solid years. Under the official passer rating (i.e., the thing ESPN desperately wants to re-invent), most quarterbacks have performed well through two weeks.

Nine have passer ratings north of 100. Another six are on the right side of 90. (That’s nearly half the league.)

The next 10 quarterbacks have a passer rating above 80. As to the final seven starters, all but two come in above the mythical Kordoza Line, which reflects the career passer rating of up-and-down NFL quarterback Kordell Stewart.

It’s a huge difference from last year. Through two weeks of the 2010 season, 10 quarterbacks fell short of Stewart’s 70.7. (We’d actually pushed it down to 70.0; we now may need to push it up higher.)

This year, only two starters have passer ratings under 70.7: Matt Cassel (50.4) and Luke McCown (30.6). One of those two guys may no longer be a starter.

Moving forward, it’ll be interesting to see whether the defenses catch up. If they don’t, plenty of records could fall this year.

mnchiefsguy
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Shouldn't Tyson Jackson be up there?

This list is meaningless if Sanchez is on there, while leading the Jets to two AFC title games is on that list, and Tyson Jackson, who has been a complete bust, is not.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
And he we go...

Someone put another quarter in the Merry Go Round....

ChiefsCountry
09-20-2011, 12:41 PM
This list is meaningless if Sanchez is on there, while leading the Jets to two AFC title games is on that list, and Tyson Jackson, who has been a complete bust, is not.

Ditto. Somebody is looking at fantasy stats on Sanchez bc he has won when the Jets have needed him to.

SAUTO
09-20-2011, 12:41 PM

this depends on what you definition of "leading" is.

SAUTO
09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Ditto. Somebody is looking at fantasy stats on Sanchez bc he has won when the Jets have needed him to.

probably just watched all of his games.
does he make some great clutch throws? yeah. but most of those only are necessary because of his fuck ups.

Gonzo
09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I would rather have Sanchez' bloody diarrhea out there throwing passes than Cassel.
Hell, it's probably more mobile.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
09-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I watched that whole Jets/Jags game on Sunday. Sanchez was doing all he could to lose that game, but his defense and Luke McCown wouldn't let him.

TEX
09-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I would rather have Sanchez' bloody diarrhea out there throwing passes than Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well we could have, but...

mnchiefsguy
09-20-2011, 12:50 PM
this depends on what you definition of "leading" is.

Sanchez is the leader of that time in the clubhouse. I don't think anyone really doubts that. His qb play has been good, not great, but he has come through in some clutch situations and the team has won playoff games on the road, which is tough to do, with him under center. Is Sanchez the greatest qb ever? Not by a long shot. Is he overpaid? Given what the Jets did before he arrived, and what they have accomplished since he got there (which is not completely on him, but he deserves some of the credit), then I fail to see how one can say he is overpaid.

blaise
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Forbes also once named Kevin McHale the best GM in sports when he was at Minnesota, so take Forbes's opinion with a grain of salt.

NJChiefsFan
09-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Very interesting use of the word leading. To me leading isn't riding shotgun. Put him on a team like TB without an elite defense or elite recievers. No way they go 10-6 last year. Without an elite defense this guy isn't going to the Conference Championship.

No doubt he has made some big plays, but he needs to be put there, and half the time, he needs two chances to do it. Most teams don't give you that.

SAUTO
09-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Sanchez is the leader of that time in the clubhouse. I don't think anyone really doubts that. His qb play has been good, not great, but he has come through in some clutch situations and the team has won playoff games on the road, which is tough to do, with him under center. Is Sanchez the greatest qb ever? Not by a long shot. Is he overpaid? Given what the Jets did before he arrived, and what they have accomplished since he got there (which is not completely on him, but he deserves some of the credit), then I fail to see how one can say he is overpaid.

lol what was their record the year prior to him being drafted?

what was their first 10 games record? before farve got hurt.

and yeah i think some doubt he's the lockerroom leader.

Mi_chief_fan
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Forbes also once named Kevin McHale the best GM in sports when he was at Minnesota, so take Forbes's opinion with a grain of salt.

Wow, I didn't realize that. Perhaps the worst GM in history not named Matt Millen.

L.A. Chieffan
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
It takes 6 or 7 years for a D lineman to be ready in the NFL. This is known.

Titty Meat
09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Sanchez sucks.

BigChiefFan
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
With two exceptions, quarterbacks are doing well this year

Five quarterbacks (Romo, Brees, Rivers, Newton, Brady) currently are on pace to shatter the single-season passing yardage record, set by Dan Marino in 1984. Two more (Hasselbeck, Rodgers) are on pace to come close to matching it. But it’s not just the best quarterbacks who are having solid years. Under the official passer rating (i.e., the thing ESPN desperately wants to re-invent), most quarterbacks have performed well through two weeks.

Nine have passer ratings north of 100. Another six are on the right side of 90. (That’s nearly half the league.)

The next 10 quarterbacks have a passer rating above 80. As to the final seven starters, all but two come in above the mythical Kordoza Line, which reflects the career passer rating of up-and-down NFL quarterback Kordell Stewart.

It’s a huge difference from last year. Through two weeks of the 2010 season, 10 quarterbacks fell short of Stewart’s 70.7. (We’d actually pushed it down to 70.0; we now may need to push it up higher.)

This year, only two starters have passer ratings under 70.7: Matt Cassel (50.4) and Luke McCown (30.6). One of those two guys may no longer be a starter.

Moving forward, it’ll be interesting to see whether the defenses catch up. If they don’t, plenty of records could fall this year.

I think part of that is Goodell's water-down the product and put QBs on a pedestal stance.

lcarus
09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO Gross. You know that dude probably eats an enormous amount of enchiladas, chimichangas, and nachos.

Skyy God
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I suspected Mark Castle would be on that list....