PDA

View Full Version : Football Have we officially entered the Arena League era?

tk13
09-25-2011, 07:43 PM
It seems like the league has gotten progressively more and more pass happy, but this year it's been insane. We've seen Brady throw for 500+ yards, and he has over 1300 yds and 11 TD in three games. We've had a rookie come in and throw for 400+ in his first two games, which is unheard of.

Today we've had ten different guys throw for 300+ yards. And Roethlisberger is well on his way to 300 tonight, Rodgers threw for 297 today, and we still have the MNF game to go. And many of these guys are not just skidding by... seven of them threw for 369 yards or more today alone.

Meanwhile, only three guys ran for 100+ yards today. Darren McFadden is the only guy seemingly running at an elite level. Chris Johnson has 46 carries for 98 yards on the season.

Through three weeks last season, 16 guys had thrown for 300 yards in a game. With SNF and MNF left in week three this year, we've had a QB throw for 300+ yards 33 times.

Is this what the NFL is going to become? Is the running game becoming an afterthought?

milkman
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
The NFL has created rules that favor the passing game.

So, yes, this is exactly what the NFL wants.

Defense has virtually been outlawed.

JD10367
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Of course. This is what Goodell and the powers-that-be wanted: a videogame, fantasy-football league where defense and pound-and-ground doesn't matter. They've tweaked the rules to the point that defenders can't play defense or even breathe on the quarterback. It's flag football. And it sucks.

RealSNR
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
We only need to watch Herm Edwards to know when the culture has changed.

When he's about to jump off a building THEN we know the NFL has morphed into this game.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
the whole feel of pro football has become boring and waiting for the refs to call an obvious TD is dumb. I can't believe it. I didn't even watch a game today. I watched bits, like right now and it doesn't look very physical at all. It's like basketball on grass. snore.

BigRichard
09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Everytime a defensive player touches the QB or breaks up a pass they get up and immediately start looking for a flag to be thrown. It is disgusting anymore.

Hootie
09-25-2011, 07:59 PM
This is why im a fantasy guru...no one has adapted...people are still taking CJ, AP, charles, MID, etc...with their top picks instead of taking definite like Qb's and Wrs...even TEs...you fill your RBs width SLEEPERS...not top tier guys. I am 15-6 so far and that includes an 0-3 and a 1-2 (foster and manning)...4 3-0 teams so far...following the #1 guideline...elite QB and wrs first...

cookster50
09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Herm Edwards now hates the NFL.

CrazyPhuD
09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Have you watched the chefs? In the arena league they score.....

Mama Hip Rockets
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
The 49ers beat the Bengals 13 to 8 today, so I would say no.

Marcellus
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
the whole feel of pro football has become boring and waiting for the refs to call an obvious TD is dumb. I can't believe it. I didn't even watch a game today. I watched bits, like right now and it doesn't look very physical at all. It's like basketball on grass. snore.

You missed out on some baddass early games. I have Redzone and it as absolutely crazy.

The exact opposite of boring. Not sure whats wrong with you.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2011, 08:03 PM
The NFL has created rules that favor the passing game.

So, yes, this is exactly what the NFL wants.

Defense has virtually been outlawed.

What this guy said...right here. Pass happy league yet our guy continuely struggles to break 150.

milkman
09-25-2011, 08:13 PM
The 49ers beat the Bengals 13 to 8 today, so I would say no.

That's not a hard nosed defensive battle that you used to see though.

That's two teams struggling on offense.

Teams that don't score points in bunches today are stopping themselves.

tk13
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, really if you look at the scores, there were some low scoring games and all. But even then they weren't hard fought running battles. In that Niners game Frank Gore had a horrible day rushing.

I'm not sure if we're really there yet... but I'm curious to see if we reach the point where defense is not as important as offense.

GloryDayz
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm no lawyer, and don't know one that I like, but a couple of them were at the Flying Saucer let week (and not drunk!!), wondering when some player on defense would file against the NFL under EEO laws. I laughed, but both were seemed to indicate that there were provisions under that set of laws that might create a case for some of the dumbassery that we're seeing levied against players on defense. My God, by the time they got done yakking, they got into commerce law too... It'll never happen, but I'd sure like to be on the jury... It sure would be sweet....

milkman
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, really if you look at the scores, there were some low scoring games and all. But even then they weren't hard fought running battles. In that Niners game Frank Gore had a horrible day rushing.

I'm not sure if we're really there yet... but I'm curious to see if we reach the point where defense is not as important as offense.

If?

We have reached it.

You won't see a great defense carry a team to the SB again.

It's all about the QB and scoring points now.

Delano
09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I heard a quote by McCarthy of the Packers that was, basically, that some of these huge numbers were the result of poor tackling and YAC. The reason for the poor tackling is the drastically reduced contact in the preseason and in-season practices.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I enjoy balanced football.

GloryDayz
09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I enjoy balanced football.

We all do, it's just hard to find anymore...

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
We all do, it's just hard to find anymore...

The sad thing is that it's not going to change.

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Even Pittsburgh throws it all the time.

KCChiefsFan88
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Anyone not a fan of this "Arena Football Style" of play should watch the Chiefs. They literally can't complete a downfield pass. They rank 32nd in passing offense (entering today's game) and they have probably one of the most punchless passing games in college or the NFL combined now.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Chiefs are behind the times.

O.city
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
We rank 32 in the league in passing and have a couple of pretty good receivers. If Charles, Moeaki, and Baldwin were all healthy I think we would be alot better.....Maybe 31. That is so sad. Bowe alone should make us 20 or better.

Dave Lane
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
If?

We have reached it.

You won't see a great defense carry a team to the SB again.

It's all about the QB and scoring points now.

Sadly that is the formula. I like good defense but a QB that can play at a very high level is no longer a luxury but necessary