PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. You know what? I actually had a pretty good weekend. Not great, but good. I saw Lewis Black in Topeka Friday night. My wifey and I watched her KSU Wildcats upset Miami yesterday. The Tigers played a respectable game vs. Oklahoma. Then this morning I had a nice cup of coffee and danish and read the paper on my back porch, just enjoying the outdoors for a couple hours. I expected nothing out of the Chiefs. I resigned myself to the fact they were going to lose about five minutes after the Detroit game ended. My initial guess was a final score around 31 to 3. When I heard Antonio Gates was out, I thought maybe 28 to 3. The actual 20-17 final was not as close at it will appear to the general public. San Diego dominated most of the game. The Chiefs had one chance to tie or perhaps win the game. One. And as soon at that chance appeared like a wisp of smoke on a fledgling campfire, Matt Casshole -who I now will refer to as "The Duke of Dink" - threw a final fatal dink somewhere in the general area code of Dexter McNugget. So, as Coach Haley would say "We're not doing so well here in the season's first quarter." We're zero - two - and one moral victory, because we beat the spread today. Make no mistake, the Chiefs were terrible once again, especially in the first half. San Diego was almost as bad. Never underestimate the ability of a Norv Turner team to suck in September.

9. The first half stats were historically bad. Zero first downs. Seven possessions without a first down. "The Illusive Thomas Jones" averaging two yards a carry. We should start calling Jones "Two Point Oh," because like the number on his back, that's what you're going to get every time you hand him a football. Beyond that, The Duke of Dink averaged three yards per pass and never threw a ball to a wide out or a tight end the entire first half. Early on we had third and four, Dunk of Dink throws a three yard pass. Later we had third and five, Duke of Dink threw a four yard pass. It was truly amazing. it was vintage Bill Kenney quarterbacking, who is the all time king of the Chiefs' third down completion short of a first down.

8. The only thing that kept KC from being blown out in the first half was Phyllis Rivers' turnovers. Chiefs get two picks with returns of more than 40 yards, and can't convert either one into points. The Chiefs missed out on maybe three or more turnovers in this game. Derrick Johnson had a pass hit him literally in the hands and was dropped. Later a tipped pass bounded straight over Johnson's head and he never saw it. Brandon Carr had a Rivers fumble roll right to his feet. Instead of falling on the ball, he tries to pick it up and a San Diego lineman falls on it instead. Succop misses a field goal inside of 40 yards, San Diego gets the ball and drives down and scores its first seven. That's a ten point swing, and ultimately cost the Chiefs at least a tie. This is the third game in a row that a Succop miss in the first half has totally disrupted the team momentum. He is on thin ice.

7. San Diego will be relieved that they won, but their play was uninspired. Rivers was under pressure for most of the game. San Diego won time of possession by ten minutes. The KC defense was worn down, and two starters, Flowers and McGraw, were out. Even with all that, the Chiefs were able to make a fourth and one stand against a stupid Rivers QB sneak with less than two minutes left to get the ball back for The Duke of Dink. Tolbert was plowing through the KC defense. Why not run as much time off as you can -Norv could have burned about an extra :20 secs off the clock- and then plow Tolbert for a first down? A first wins the game. Norv is a bone head. San Diego will never, ever, ever win a thing with Norv at the helm.

6. Flowers injury is an ankle, not a knee. But he's had a history of bad ankles. In years past he's missed several games with an ankle injury. So hopefully he won't be out long. I could care less about McGraw's injury. We're not missing a thing with him out. Bowe got his bell rung in the last three minutes. Hopefully he'll be OK for next week. We should be getting "Thumbs Up" Baldwin back soon. It's been hard trying to compete without our first round pick from this year AND last year. We'll probably have to pick up another tight end for the roster this week. Is Martin Rucker or Chase Coffman still out there? Can't be worse than Leonard "You Can't Keep Your Hat On" Pope.

5. Offensively, the Chiefs have been getting whipped in every category every week. That's no surprise. Third down conversion in the first half was non-existent. Chiefs ended up being five for twelve on third down and one for one on fourth down. Chiefs run defense was decent for most of the game until they got tired in the fourth quarter. Our pass defense was good early until Flowers went out. Then when Daniels, Washington and Slappy Pistachio was in, we couldn't stop a crossing route unless the San Diego player dropped the ball. KC never seems to be able to stop a crossing route. Teams routinely beat them on third down with crossing routes. It's going to be a long year facing first tier QBs who will pick us apart.

4. I'm concerned with team discipline. Too many stupid penalties again this week. KC had seven penalties for 65 yards, and many of those at incredibly inopportune times. Seems like every time we'd try to answer a Chargers score, a holding or offside penalty would set things back. And what the HELL is Pope doing taking off his helmet? Do our players NOT know the rule book? If San Diego starts their last drive from the twenty instead of the 30, we might have enough yards to attempt a game tying field goal at the end. Haley didn't even seem upset after the game today. All he was saying is "I love my guys, they're just so fun to be around" blah blah blah. Huh? Dude, you're zero and three. And what about clock management and time out management today? Not having ANY timeouts in the last two minutes -and that's without having any play challenges- is incredibly stupid. That just put more pressure on the Duke of Dink in the last drive, and since we couldn't stop the clock, everything was rushed, and ergo, you get a killing screen pass completed directly to a San Diego defender.

3. Who played well today? Colquitt punted better today, and he was under a lot of pressure on several punts. Arenas had a decent kick return. Flowers held Vincent Jackson relatively in check before going out injured. Hali brought good pressure. Dorsey actually made a couple tackles. Bowe had a nice TD catch dragging a toe. But that's about it. Pope marred his TD by taking his helmet off, and Succop's missed field goal turned out to be the difference in the game. it looks like the giveaway-takeaway wants to swing back more in the Chiefs favor, but the Chiefs can't convert the turnover opportunities given. They drop a pick, or can't fall on a fumble. It's Murphy's Law during a stretch like this. And it's what is needed to turn the tide from losing to winning.

2. McClain only got two carries for two whole yards. They need to throw him the ball. McCluster rushed nine times and caught five balls. He's going to get killed again this year. He's too small for that much action, and he's going to get creamed on a dink pass sometime this year. I can just see it coming. Also, they should play Jackie Battle more. He's a big bruising back, he can pass protect (something you won't get from McCluster) and can wear a defense out. He played very well against Oakland a few years ago in that role. I like him, and if the offense is going to grind the clock, he can be a weapon in the fourth quarter.

1. It's a shame that with all that went wrong, and that KC caught San Diego on a flat day for them, that the Duke of Dink had to cough up a very bad pick to kill our chances. He does not handle pressure well, and reminds me a lot of Elvis the Pants Wetter in pressure cooker situations. I think burning those time outs in the second half ultimately led to the loss. If you count pre-season -which the Chiefs brass will tell you doesn't predict actual season performance- KC has lost nine straight games. That's a lot of losses in a row. Winning is a culture and an attitude, as is losing. This season is looking very Herm Like to me. At least Herm beat San Diego in Qualcomm back in September 2007, something Coach Haley has not been able to do in his three years.

PS: Will somebody please swat Prime Time with a fly swatter? He's starting to annoy me.

crazycoffey
09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
casshole isn't even a duke of dink, more like "teh dunce of dink"

Buck
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a question. I was waiting for my gf to get to the stadium with the tickets so I missed about the first 8 minutes. On Rivers' first pick, was there a clear PI on the play? I was told there was and it wasn't called.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Can't argue with any of that. Excellent analysis.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a question. I was waiting for my gf to get to the stadium with the tickets so I missed about the first 8 minutes. On Rivers' first pick, was there a clear PI on the play? I was told there was and it wasn't called.

Arenas basically tackled the receiver.

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Rivers underthrew a pass by 3-4 yards and the defenders (plural) had position on him.

WR didn't stand a chance at getting to the ball. Horrible pass by Rivers.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
IM about Done with Succop as well.....an NFL kicker should be hitting anything under 40 consistently.

GloryDayz
09-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Rivers underthrew a pass by 3-4 yards and the defenders (plural) had position on him.

WR didn't stand a chance at getting to the ball. Horrible pass by Rivers.

Like holding, in the new NFL, there's a PI on every play.. So yes, there was PI..

Hammock Parties
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Also, they should play Jackie Battle more. He's a big bruising back, he can pass protect (something you won't get from McCluster) and can wear a defense out. He played very well against Oakland a few years ago in that role.

You have to be thinking of Kolby Smith.

KCinNY
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
IM about Done with Succop as well.....an NFL kicker should be hitting anything under 40 consistently.

But, but, but he was Pioli's best pick in his first Chiefs draft, wasn't he?

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Like holding, in the new NFL, there's a PI on every play.. So yes, there was PI..

shhhhhhhhh.......I am trying to troll Buck..........

crazycoffey
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
casshole isn't even a duke of dink, more like "teh dunce of dink"

teh duece of dink?
herm had rrpp
MC is dink dink duece (in his pants)

Marcellus
09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Arenas basically tackled the receiver.

Actually Lewis knocked him into the receiver on the way to the ball.

Lewis was playing the ball so I don't know how you call that. Probabably goes as DI more than half of the time.

Only fair considering Hali is still not getting holding calls.

Nightfyre
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Man, my college teams kicker hit consecutive 55 yarders and went like 5/5 this week (and Montana State is FCS.) Succop sucks.

Buck
09-25-2011, 08:44 PM
I didn't see it so I can't really comment, but they called an offensive PI on Floyd which was on an incomplete pass, and it looked iffy to me, but I was drunk as shit, so who knows.

Marcellus
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I didn't see it so I can't really comment, but they called an offensive PI on Floyd which was on an incomplete pass, and it looked iffy to me, but I was drunk as shit, so who knows.

You guys won so STFU you dumbass.

Buck
09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
You guys won so STFU you dumbass.

And you didn't? It seems to me like everyone was rooting for the Chargers.

crazycoffey
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM

mike bennett?
ronnie cruz.
blaylock.
bigfoot??????

Three7s
09-25-2011, 08:50 PM
And you didn't? It seems to me like everyone was rooting for the Chargers.
There were a few "true fans" here that were rooting for the Chiefs.

gblowfish
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM

I think the game I was thinking of was Vs. the Jets in December 2007. He rushed for more than 40 yards in that game. Also did you know Jackie Battle's real name is Ewart Haron Battle III[?

It would be fun to yell "Give the Ball to EWART!!!"

Boon
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I think we have the swing out pass for three yards down.
Maybe next week we work on the screen pass for 4 yards.

Buck
09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I do have to say that on your first touchdown, that was a perfectly placed ball and fucking Bowe was pretty graceful in getting his feet down.

Urc Burry
09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Steve Breaston looked good fwiw

Hootie
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Im tired of this mccluster garbage...if he gets hurt...he gets hurt...he needs to be in the game...whether in the slot or in the backfield

WV
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Wait GF??...Are you back with the looney girl?

btlook1
09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a good analysis once again. Didn't watch the game was on the road for part of the afternoon. Did I really hear that we only had like 44 yards of offense at the half? Got home in time to watch dink throw the pick.......Cassel needs to go he sucks!

Urc Burry
09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Im tired of this mccluster garbage...if he gets hurt...he gets hurt...he needs to be in the game...whether in the slot or in the backfield

Yeah he lost me on the whole take away McCluster's carries and give them to Jackie fucking Battle

milkman
09-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a good analysis once again. Didn't watch the game was on the road for part of the afternoon. Did I really hear that we only had like 44 yards of offense at the half? Got home in time to watch dink throw the pick.......Cassel needs to go he sucks!

You heard wrong.

It was 34 yards.

O.city
09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Well so far thru 3 games, what everyone thought would be a bugaboo for us hasn't really showed it's face. The offense line has protected Cassel pretty well.

FloridaMan88
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I think we have the swing out pass for three yards down.
Maybe next week we work on the screen pass for 4 yards.

The Chiefs offense looks exactly like the offense Jimmy Raye ran here.

Remember 95% of Raye's passing game were swing passes to Kimble Anders.

rtmike
09-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Pope's helmet was coming off, the chinstrap was up in his face & he had something in his eyes'.

He prolly could have been more careful instead of ripping it off right away. The minute he did it I thought, "what the hell is he doing?".

notorious
09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Pope's helmet was coming off, the chinstrap was up in his face & he had something in his eyes'.

He prolly could have been more careful instead of ripping it off right away. The minute he did it I thought, "what the hell is he doing?".

He didn't have to pose like a Greek God when he did it.

Idiot.

gblowfish
09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah he lost me on the whole take away McCluster's carries and give them to Jackie fucking Battle

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if you keep giving McCluster 15 to 20 touches per game, and you keep running him between the tackles, and you keep asking him to pass protect, he's going to get killed. He should only be involved in about five to eight plays per game. He also has fumbleitis, so the more times you give him the ball, the more you risk a turnover. We have not used McClain at all. The guy has talent. And Jackie Battle is a big back, has some versatility, and can pass block. Nobody is going to replace the loss of Charles. You just can't. But you can alter your playbook. Right now they're trying to make McCluster Charles, and that's not going to cut it.

Rausch
09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if you keep giving McCluster 15 to 20 touches per game, and you keep running him between the tackles, and you keep asking him to pass protect, he's going to get killed. He should only be involved in about five to eight plays per game. He also has fumbleitis, so the more times you give him the ball, the more you risk a turnover. We have not used McClain at all. The guy has talent. And Jackie Battle is a big back, has some versatility, and can pass block. Nobody is going to replace the loss of Charles. You just can't. But you can alter your playbook. Right now they're trying to make McCluster Charles, and that's not going to cut it.

I'd prefer to have McCluster get 15 touches than "Two Yard Thomas" Jones.

And I completely agree that McClain should become a bigger part of the running game.

Deberg_1990
09-26-2011, 08:22 AM

Agreed. McCluster needs to be in space where he can use his speed and quick cutting ability. McClain and Battle (who im not as high on as you) should run between the tackles.

Geez, shouldnt this just be common sense for our coaches??

durtyrute
09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
I'd prefer to have McCluster get 15 touches than "Two Yard Thomas" Jones.

And I completely agree that McClain should become a bigger part of the running game.

If you move the period on the back of his jersey it will read "TJ. Ones"

dannybcaitlyn
09-26-2011, 08:30 AM

I agree. Battle sucks.

bsp4444
09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Our kicker has multiple misses in the first three weeks. San Diego lost their kicker and signed one off the street that mad e a 41 yarder right down the middle on us. I can't help but think there is a kicker out there available that can do what Succoup does (or better).

durtyrute
09-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Our kicker has multiple misses in the first three weeks. San Diego lost their kicker and signed one off the street that mad e a 41 yarder right down the middle on us. I can't help but think there is a kicker out there available that can do what Succoup does (or better).

Well his name is Suck up

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM

There was one before Pioli inexplicably shitcanned him to draft Succop. Connor Barth.

gblowfish
09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I bet Grant Ressel from Mizzou could hit a 40 yarder.

Or not.

The Franchise
09-26-2011, 09:33 AM
At this point....I don't understand why the fuck Jackie Battle is even getting carries. LeRon McClain should be getting those carries. It's not like he can't pass protect either.

Fuck Jackie Battle. He's like the Jon McGraw of offense.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Gblow...you know battle has severe fumblitis too...right?

gblowfish
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Jesus you guys, I'm not saying we run Jackie Battle 20 times a game. But he's got a much better chance to pick up a blitzing linebacker than McNugget does.

Did you miss the part where I said PLAY MCCLAIN MORE?????

You guys don't remember Jacksonville knocking the day living shit out of McCluster last year? The guy can't take open field hits from linebackers. He will get knocked out if you over-use him.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
And this mcclain noise is garbage...what has he shown to make anyone think he's any good? Him, jones and battle would all average under 3.5 YPC in this shit offense.

The Franchise
09-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Jesus you guys, I'm not saying we run Jackie Battle 20 times a game. But he's got a much better chance to pick up a blitzing linebacker than McNugget does.

Did you miss the part where I said PLAY MCCLAIN MORE?????

You guys don't remember Jacksonville knocking the day living shit out of McCluster last year? The guy can't take open field hits from linebackers. He will get knocked out if you over-use him.

My post wasn't a response to you....just a comment.

The Franchise
09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
And this mcclain noise is garbage...what has he shown to make anyone think he's any good? Him, jones and battle would all average under 3.5 YPC in this shit offense.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TX2nudmkllI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimeForWasp
09-26-2011, 10:07 AM

You are a dumb mother fucker.

TimeForWasp
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Gblow...you know battle has severe fumblitis too...right?

you are the worst poster on this board .

KChiefs1
09-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Excellent post George!

</post>
09-26-2011, 12:10 PM
you are the worst poster on this board .

MAYBE YOU SHOULD BUY HIM A CASKET!

Buehler445
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Good Analysis George.

Dexter McNugget makes me LOL.

Yeah, all of Jones' rushes should go to McClain preferrably or Battle. I like your idea of getting McClain involved in the passing game, it's not like that fucking douchebag is going to throw it to a WR anyway.

That is what is really hamstringing this offense. Really, the defense can cram everyone within 10 yards of LOS. It is horrible. At least when Hutard was here, he would chuck it up to Gonzo every once in awhile. I don't know if it is Cassel, Muir, or Haley, but the plays that are executed are fucking horrid. If they are giving him the option to pass and he checks down, fuck that motherfucker. Sit his ass. If it is Muir calling the checkdowns, fuck that motherfucker. Fire his ass. If it is Haley calling the checkdowns, fuck that motherfucker. What the hell is he trying to do?

Oh, and fire Succup. What is he this year? 4 for 7 or something?

Hootie
09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TX2nudmkllI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and how many years ago was that?

and what kind of run blocking line did they have?

our line is clearly built for elusive guys like Charles and McCluster.

I think the offense should OPEN up...perhaps to even more of a shotgun heavy offense...with McCluster in the backfield...

I'm not saying give him 25 carries a game...

I'm saying PASS the ball like everyone else...and run the offense like the Patriots run their offense.

Will we be as good as them? Hell fucking no! But we can't be any worse than what we are now so what the fuck is wrong with trying?

Hootie
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
the Patriots operate out of the gun just about every ****ing snap...and when they do run with BGE, that's when they start using their play fakes when Brady is behind center...

We shouldn't be thinking of running a pro style offense anymore...it won't work. If you guys like 3 and outs, keep thinking about Jones and McClain...

Cassel sucks asshole...but at least let him operate out of shotgun...seems like that is the only way he can excel anyways...

ACTUALLY YOU KNOW WHAT

scratch all that

lets keep doing what we're doing and run with Jones and McClain 40 times a game...Suck for Luck!

what was I thinking?

I reverted to optimistic Hootie for a second and tried giving us ideas on how to win when we don't want that...at least I don't want that. This Sunday was PERFECT.

Three7s
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Good Analysis George.

Dexter McNugget makes me LOL.

Yeah, all of Jones' rushes should go to McClain preferrably or Battle. I like your idea of getting McClain involved in the passing game, it's not like that ****ing douchebag is going to throw it to a WR anyway.

That is what is really hamstringing this offense. Really, the defense can cram everyone within 10 yards of LOS. It is horrible. At least when Hutard was here, he would chuck it up to Gonzo every once in awhile. I don't know if it is Cassel, Muir, or Haley, but the plays that are executed are ****ing horrid. If they are giving him the option to pass and he checks down, **** that mother****er. Sit his ass. If it is Muir calling the checkdowns, **** that mother****er. Fire his ass. If it is Haley calling the checkdowns, **** that mother****er. What the hell is he trying to do?

Oh, and fire Succup. What is he this year? 4 for 7 or something?
I WISH Succup was 4 for 7.

BossChief
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
All I want to see is a team that keeps it within reach all year.

Make some plays to show we are improving, but make enough mistakes to lose.

For us SFLers, that pick on the screen pass was like a 80 yard touchdown to win the game in the final minute.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
and it had comedic relief

it's like Huard all over again with Cassel...he can't make reads, so just fucking stop

force it to Bowe every time and occasionally just whip it deep to Breaston and see what happens.

we started moving the damn ball when he started throwing it to our best fucking player...just like Huard used to do with Tony Gonzalez back in the day

Buckweath
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
All I want to see is a team that keeps it within reach all year.

Make some plays to show we are improving, but make enough mistakes to lose.

For us SFLers, that pick on the screen pass was like a 80 yard touchdown to win the game in the final minute.

LOL. Yeah, I agree with you. I want to see the defense play as well as possible (without Berry and Flowers) and every game I hope they can shut down the opposition but I wish the offense keeps struggling, which shouldn't be hard to do with Charles, Moeaki out, Cassel being dreadful and Muir...

GloryDayz
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
There were a few "true fans" here that were rooting for the Chiefs.

Youthful ignorance...

Psyko Tek
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
You heard wrong.

It was 34 yards.

THOUGHT SO
IF'S GEORGE'S NUMBERS ARE RIGHT THE d HAD MORE YARDS ON RTETURNS THAN THE OFFENSE HAD YARDS IN THE FIRST HALF

GAAAAAAAWWWWWD WE SUCK