PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Red Sox pitcher Jon Lackey divorcing wife with breast cancer

eazyb81
09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
LMAO, wow, this guy has had a season for the ages. Multiple meltdowns, showing up his infielders, staring down Terry Francona when he came to take him out of a game, and now this.

http://thedugoutdoctors.com/2011/09/d-bag-red-sox-pitcher-john-lackey-divorcing-wife-with-cancer/

Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey is seeking to divorce his wife, Krista. Well, that’s all well and good, it’s his business, right? Not so fast. His wife is currently battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed for divorce on August 30, according to official documents. Lackey says in the papers, “the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities.”

Krista had a double mastectomy in March and most recently had chemo in June.

Lackey pitched on Sept. 25 and expressed a lot of frustration after the game during a an interview.

“Let me tell you the truth. Thirty minutes before the game, I got a text message on my cellphone from one of you, somebody in the media, talking about personal stuff,” he said. “And I shouldn’t even be standing up here having to deal with this. I don’t know who got my phone number, but that’s over the line.”

Apparently, a reporter doing their job and getting a no-name pitcher’s cell phone number and asking him a question is crossing the line, but divorcing your cancer-stricken wife is all good.

Needless to say, these sorts of stories should remain the business of the couple and any family involved. But this story drips of utter douchebaggery.

Stay classy, John Lackey.

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Rays 1 game out. Go Rays! Go Orioles!

gblowfish
09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Sounds like he was mentored by Johnny Damon.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm sure she'll be ok...she probably made at least $20M out of the marriage...highly doubt they are divorcing just because she has cancer...

Fish
09-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Needless to say, these sorts of stories should remain the business of the couple and any family involved.

Yeah... but fuck that. We're going to throw out some accusation about this guy's relationship anyway.

gblowfish
09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Lackey's last Red Sox contract was for $83 Million. So if she gets half that's a lot of scratch. They've only been married for about two years.

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 09:51 AM
For all that J.D. Drew gets ripped around here, the one I'd like to have DIAF is Lackey, whose personality/paycheck so greatly exceeds his contribution to the team that it makes me puke. Drew is overpaid, but when he plays he at least doesnt' flat out SUCK. Lackey is worthless. Completely worthless. And apparently is an A-hole to boot.

JD10367
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Aside from divorcing his poor wife who has cancer, being the worst fucking pitcher I've ever seen, being overpaid by about 99%, and having the enormous balls to stare down Terry Francona on his way to the mound after Terry DARES to pull Lackey after a typically tremendous 3-inning 9-hit 10-run performance... I have no issues with him.

Seriously, Lackey may be the worst free-agent pickup, not only in Red Sox history, but in the entire history of all four major Boston franchises.

Fuck you, Lackey. Fuck you long and hard. I hope your wife takes you for every fucking penny you have, which you STOLE FROM THE RED SOX you fucking dickmunch.

-King-
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
So just because she has cancer...he should stay with her? I'd only say he's a douche if he divorced her just because of the cancer.

JD10367
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Just before Lackey pitched at Fenway last week, he got served papers by a guy dressed in Yankees gear, LOL. I wish I had a picture of Lackey's face when that happened.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Just before Lackey pitched at Fenway last week, he got served papers by a guy dressed in Yankees gear, LOL. I wish I had a picture of Lackey's face when that happened.

Yeah he was probably laughing...as the papers were served to teammate Erik Bedard.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
He's a douche, but that's his business. If they aren't happy, move on.

cookster50
09-26-2011, 11:21 AM

That was Bedard.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
For all that J.D. Drew gets ripped around here, the one I'd like to have DIAF is Lackey, whose personality/paycheck so greatly exceeds his contribution to the team that it makes me puke. Drew is overpaid, but when he plays he at least doesnt' flat out SUCK. Lackey is worthless. Completely worthless. And apparently is an A-hole to boot.

I dont think Drew is over paid at all. He's just not flashy and people dont like that.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
I dont think Drew is over paid at all. He's just not flashy and people dont like that.

do you even watch baseball?

How is Drew not overpaid?

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I'll be there all 3 games hope the o's sweep them.

Garcia Bronco
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM

they are all over-paid.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
they are all over-paid.

I understand why some think this but if you're Albert Pujols and you generate your owner $90M in revenue you don't think you're entitled to a decent chunk of that?

If Garcia Bronco works for a Fortune 500 Company and has the best numbers and makes the most money for his employer, doesn't he deserve to be highly compensated for his worth?

DeezNutz
09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
There are a select few athletes, a very select few, who can never truly be paid what they're worth.

Jordan is evidence A for this type of discussion. Dude was always underpaid and always would be.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM

are you a fucking moron. I watch every game fagot, how about YOU tell me why you think he is overpaid.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
are you a ****ing moron. I watch every game pillowbiterot, how about YOU tell me why you think he is overpaid.

The fact I have to tell you J.D. Drew is overpaid is a god damn shame, especially if you do watch EVERY game (which is damn near impossible)...

This year (another injury riddled year), he has 4 HR's and 21 RBI's...he is hitting .219. He is making $14M...

He signed a 5 year, $70M contract and has never produced more than 68 RBI's in a single season with Boston. He has one defining moment (a grand slam in the 2007 postseason I believe)...and other than that, has been a major, major, major disappointment for the Boston Red Sox.

I suppose his 2008 and 2009 were respectable considering the shortened seasons he played...but when you sign a guy for $15M a year you kind of expect him to play more than 100-120 games.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
The fact I have to tell you J.D. Drew is overpaid is a god damn shame, especially if you do watch EVERY game (which is damn near impossible)...

This year (another injury riddled year), he has 4 HR's and 21 RBI's...he is hitting .219. He is making $14M...

He signed a 5 year, $70M contract and has never produced more than 68 RBI's in a single season with Boston. He has one defining moment (a grand slam in the 2007 postseason I believe)...and other than that, has been a major, major, major disappointment for the Boston Red Sox.

I suppose his 2008 and 2009 were respectable considering the shortened seasons he played...but when you sign a guy for $15M a year you kind of expect him to play more than 100-120 games.

LoL major x3 huh. Here are a few reads, I have to run but If you wish we can contunue this later on thie evening, if you can stomach it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/1203/j-d-drew-by-the-numbers

another quick read.

"Dave Cameron of Fangraphs.com offered an interesting piece today, comparing this year’s free agent market to the profligacy evident in the offseason of 2006-07. Over the past couple offseasons, huge long-term deals had been few; this winter, however, the signing of Cliff Lee by the Phillies will mark the fourth $100 million deal of the offseason, following those signed by Troy Tulowitzki, Jayson Werth and Carl Crawford.

Things didn’t work out so well for the baseball world the last time that nine-figure contracts and/or contracts of four-plus years were dished out like Halloween candy. To wit, Cameron notes that of the 14 players signed in the winter of ’06/’07, just one has earned his keep.

The player who has been worth his deal? J.D. Drew.

According to FanGraphs, Drew — because of his plate discipline, power and defense — has been worth $57.2 million over the first four years of his deal, during which time he has been paid $56 million."

if you factor his strong defense in one of the most difficult RF's in MLB he's actually under paid, but I'm sure you already. Damn shame.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
lol...2 of the 5 years he played less than 110 games (including this year where he's done nothing for the team)...and he's never played more than 140 games...

but yeah, he's worth $15M a year...

ask any Boston Red Sox fan if they liked the J.D. Drew signing now that his tenure there is almost over...

Hootie
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
but I'm glad you can read "fangraphs" and watch "every game" (lol)...

how in god's name do you watch "every game"?

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 02:05 PM

I agree, but his inability to stay on the field, and his performance when he is on the field, comes nowhere near $14MM per year. NOWHERE near...

Lex Luthor
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
So just because she has cancer...he should stay with her? I'd only say he's a douche if he divorced her just because of the cancer.
No, he's still a douche. If he wants to divorce her, fine. But don't spring this on her when she's fighting cancer. He supposedly loved her enough at one time to marry her and promise to spend the rest of his life with her. The least he can do now is wait for his wife to get through this crisis before he dumps her. There will still be plenty of women for him to f*ck a year from now.

So yes, just because she has cancer, he should stay with her for the short term. It's called being an adult and treating the people you're supposed to care about with dignity and respect.

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
LoL major x3 huh. Here are a few reads, I have to run but If you wish we can contunue this later on thie evening, if you can stomach it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/1203/j-d-drew-by-the-numbers

another quick read.

"Dave Cameron of Fangraphs.com offered an interesting piece today, comparing this year’s free agent market to the profligacy evident in the offseason of 2006-07. Over the past couple offseasons, huge long-term deals had been few; this winter, however, the signing of Cliff Lee by the Phillies will mark the fourth $100 million deal of the offseason, following those signed by Troy Tulowitzki, Jayson Werth and Carl Crawford.

Things didn’t work out so well for the baseball world the last time that nine-figure contracts and/or contracts of four-plus years were dished out like Halloween candy. To wit, Cameron notes that of the 14 players signed in the winter of ’06/’07, just one has earned his keep.

The player who has been worth his deal? J.D. Drew.

According to FanGraphs, Drew — because of his plate discipline, power and defense — has been worth $57.2 million over the first four years of his deal, during which time he has been paid $56 million."

if you factor his strong defense in one of the most difficult RF's in MLB he's actually under paid, but I'm sure you already. Damn shame.

Look, you can slice and dice it however you want. Obviously, it's baseball, and all baseball fans get hard-ons for stats. You can compare him to all AL Right Fielders or all the overpaid players in a particuarly bad free agency year or whatever, but the bottom line is that every team, even the Yankees, has a budget, whatever it is. A team with 25 JD Drews would cost $350 million per year, be on IR 40% of the time and post pedestrian numbers with average or slightly above average defense when they were on the field.

And would never, EVER win a goddamn thing because in addition to all that, they would have zero leadership skills, zero willingness to lay it all out for the team, and set a mediocre or worse example for the other overpaid mediocrities around him.

Lex Luthor
09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Amnorix is making a much stronger argument here than MIAdragon.

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
No, he's still a douche. If he wants to divorce her, fine. But don't spring this on her when she's fighting cancer. He supposedly loved her enough at one time to marry her and promise to spend the rest of his life with her. The least he can do now is wait for his wife to get through this crisis before he dumps her. There will still be plenty of women for him to f*ck a year from now.

So yes, just because she has cancer, he should stay with her for the short term. It's called being an adult and treating the people you're supposed to care about with dignity and respect.

This. It's the difference between being supportive for a short period of time versus kicking someone when they're down. I'm not a big fan of kicking your freaking SPOUSE when they're down. JFC.

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
This. It's the difference between being supportive for a short period of time versus kicking someone when they're down. I'm not a big fan of kicking your freaking SPOUSE when they're down. JFC.
Lackey is the hugest douche bag ever. Seriously, you wait til she is in better shape before you bail. This screams more than douche, it screams COWARD. Im an Angels fan, and he won game 7 for us, and for that Im grateful, but I am so happy he is no longer an Angel. I almost feel bad for Red Sox fans. Almost.

Maybe the Red Sox should leave Lackey since he IS a cancer.

Fish
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Why should marriage be any more sanctimonious because of illness? Why would it be better if he stayed with her through the illness just to divorce her afterward?

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Why should marriage be any more sanctimonious because of illness? Why would it be better if he stayed with her through the illness just to divorce her afterward?

Umm...yes.

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Most defintely. make sure she is in the clear, and has the strength to take on such a stressful event. I mean if you even give a shit about someone...

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
What I love about this fuckstick is how he chose the second most scrutinized professional sports markets to pitch in, and then cant believe he has to deal with media getting into his biz??? If you want to be under the radar, dont leave your wife with cancer during the season, and secondly sign with the F'n Pirates.

Fish
09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Umm...yes.

Yes what?

You're taking a large bit of assumption on your part regarding the situation. It's not a fact at all that he's divorcing her because of illness. Their relationship could be such that they can't stand to be in the same room together. We don't know. It's silly to sit here and lambast him as an ass in regards to his divorce when we don't know their current relationship. It could easily be that she doesn't want him around... The article is pandering to your emotions regarding her illness.

Besides, this isn't the 50's anymore. Women are supposed to be able to manage things without an alpha male in their lives right?

loochy
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
What I love about this fuckstick is how he chose the second most scrutinized professional sports markets to pitch in, and then cant believe he has to deal with media getting into his biz??? If you want to be under the radar, dont leave your wife with cancer during the season, and secondly sign with the F'n Pirates.

He's doing her a huge favor. If he's doing this, then he obviously doesn't love her, so she's better off in that regard. Secondly, she's sure to get a ton of money, so she's better off in that regard too. It's not like he was there for all of her treatments and whatnot....he's a baseball player and he's on the road all the time.

Fish
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
He's doing her a huge favor. If he's doing this, then he obviously doesn't love her, so she's better off in that regard. Secondly, she's sure to get a ton of money, so she's better off in that regard too. It's not like he was there for all of her treatments and whatnot....he's a baseball player and he's on the road all the time.

Right. I don't see what it would accomplish.

In this thread, he's been described as "hugest douche bag ever", "Coward", "Fuckstick", etc.... Then that was followed up with "He should totally stay with his wife for a while"...

I just don't see the logic in that...

ThaVirus
09-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I won't pretend to know anything about their relationship, but I'd never spring divorce on my wife during a fight with cancer.

So if he did, then he's a douchebag. After watching the video of him complaining about dealing with the media, I can already tell you he's a douche anyway.

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Right. I don't see what it would accomplish.

In this thread, he's been described as "hugest douche bag ever", "Coward", "****stick", etc.... Then that was followed up with "He should totally stay with his wife for a while"...

I just don't see the logic in that...
I don't see how you could leave someone when they are sick with cancer. Just comes off as turning your back on someone who you supposedly care about, Comes off as if you cant take the heat and cant deal with the illness, that to me is cowardly, if that is the case.

Granted, we dont know her side, or what she thinks, but I cant imagine anyone wanting to go through a divorce while she is also going through chemo. But agian, we dont know the whole story, but no matter what Lackey is a douche for many reasons other than leaving his wife while she is sick.

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I won't pretend to know anything about their relationship, but I'd never spring divorce on my wife during a fight with cancer.

So if he did, then he's a douchebag. After watching the video of him complaining about dealing with the media, I can already tell you he's a douche anyway.
THIS.

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes what?

Yes, he shouldn't divorce her while she's struggling with cancer.

You're taking a large bit of assumption on your part regarding the situation. It's not a fact at all that he's divorcing her because of illness. Their relationship could be such that they can't stand to be in the same room together. We don't know. It's silly to sit here and lambast him as an ass in regards to his divorce when we don't know their current relationship. It could easily be that she doesn't want him around... The article is pandering to your emotions regarding her illness.

Right. I'm thinking that he's a shallow bastard. It is an assumption. A reasonable one, but an assumption. Personally, unless she was the most god-awful bitch ever born, I'd stick it out until she was well into recovery before filing papers.

Besides, this isn't the 50's anymore. Women are supposed to be able to manage things without an alpha male in their lives right?

Yeah, well, I also think a woman would be a sucky spouse/person if she divorced her man while he was recovering from cancer. Thsi isn't a gender thing, it's a human thing.

Fish
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't see how you could leave someone when they are sick with cancer. Just comes off as turning your back on someone who you supposedly care about, Comes off as if you cant take the heat and cant deal with the illness, that to me is cowardly, if that is the case.

Granted, we dont know her side, or what she thinks, but I cant imagine anyone wanting to go through a divorce while she is also going through chemo. But agian, we dont know the whole story, but no matter what Lackey is a douche for many reasons other than leaving his wife while she is sick.

It's already been established that the guy is a colossal douche. Do you think he would just stop being douchey because she's sick? What if him staying with her was more harmful to her health than divorce? It sounds like that's a good possibility with this asshole.

I'm not trying to be an insensitive ass here. I could never do such a thing myself. But rich asshole athletes aren't exactly ideal for providing support to someone who's sick. It's not like he'd be there for her anyway.. Why would you want to submit such a terrible person to a cancer patient?

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Why are you assuming no prenup? Think that's silly to assume for a guy with a full-time agent, etc.

loochy
09-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Why are you assuming no prenup? Think that's silly to assume for a guy with a full-time agent, etc.

I don't know...because my brain doesn't think about stuff like that.

Brock
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Personally, unless she was the most god-awful bitch ever born, I'd stick it out until she was well into recovery before filing papers.

Maybe she is that.

-King-
09-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Most defintely. make sure she is in the clear, and has the strength to take on such a stressful event. I mean if you even give a shit about someone...

How do you know being married to him isn't more stressful than divorcing?

Carlota69
09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
It's already been established that the guy is a colossal douche. Do you think he would just stop being douchey because she's sick? What if him staying with her was more harmful to her health than divorce? It sounds like that's a good possibility with this asshole.

I'm not trying to be an insensitive ass here. I could never do such a thing myself. But rich asshole athletes aren't exactly ideal for providing support to someone who's sick. It's not like he'd be there for her anyway.. Why would you want to submit such a terrible person to a cancer patient?

fair enough:thumb:

listopencil
09-26-2011, 05:09 PM

The point is that fighting Cancer is so mind-bogglingly hard on you that everyone in your life needs to help. If he ever had any love for the woman at all, then he shouldn't be putting her through this. He should be willing to put his life on hold a little bit and trying to make her's easier. He's a fuckbag.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
but I'm glad you can read "fangraphs" and watch "every game" (lol)...

how in god's name do you watch "every game"?

your and idiot

Hootie
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
your and idiot

Good response. You looked like a really well informed baseball fan in this thread. Are you a Boston Red Sox fan?

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Look, you can slice and dice it however you want. Obviously, it's baseball, and all baseball fans get hard-ons for stats. You can compare him to all AL Right Fielders or all the overpaid players in a particuarly bad free agency year or whatever, but the bottom line is that every team, even the Yankees, has a budget, whatever it is. A team with 25 JD Drews would cost $350 million per year, be on IR 40% of the time and post pedestrian numbers with average or slightly above average defense when they were on the field.

And would never, EVER win a goddamn thing because in addition to all that, they would have zero leadership skills, zero willingness to lay it all out for the team, and set a mediocre or worse example for the other overpaid mediocrities around him.

Im not a fan of JD myself but the hate for the guy is not justified at all, fans hate him because he shows no emotion and that clouds judgement. No team is going to look for 25 Drews, he was brought in to be a roll player not to carry the team. Drew is averaging missing 41 games a season and with Tito's desire to get the starters 20 off games a season, he is missing an average of 20 more than the average for the team not great but not a walking DL sign either. I know stats are a bad thing but he's put up some decent numbers while here. These are the numbers for all RF starters.

Ops
10 19th
09 3rd
08 3rd
07 28th

OBP
10 23trd
09 3rd
08 1st
07 7th

He is also sporting an UZR/150 of 8+ his fielding has been excellent nothing close to average.

Is the guy Dwight Evans? No but lets not nail the guy to the cross.

BTW hey Meat Im watching the Sox play right now........

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Good response. You looked like a really well informed baseball fan in this thread. Are you a Boston Red Sox fan?

:deevee:

Hootie
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
well I figured you were watching since you watch every single game...

(which would also make me think you'd realize Drew making $14M this year to hit .219 with 4 HR's and 21 RBI's in 80 games isn't very good...)

and making $14M a year suggests to me the player should be more than a "role" player...

and Tito wants to give starters 20 games off a season? Pretty sure Jacoby has played in every game but...3?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2011, 06:09 PM
JD Drew's contract is the kind that gets GMs who aren't in Boston or New York fired.

The Lackey contract is arguably worse than the Zito or Hampton deals. That guy is a horrible, horrible pitcher and a world class asshole to boot.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:09 PM
well I figured you were watching since you watch every single game...

(which would also make me think you'd realize Drew making $14M this year to hit .219 with 4 HR's and 21 RBI's in 80 games isn't very good...)

and making $14M a year suggests to me the player should be more than a "role" player...

and Tito wants to give starters 20 games off a season? Pretty sure Jacoby has played in every game but...3?

Yes this year Drew has been bad, in fact he talked of retiring last season (wish he would have). 14 mil a year was the going rate, I'm going to do little digging to see where his contract puts him for a player then as a Rf. Yes Taco has played quite a bit this season and thank god, he has carried this team, this is only his second season playing more than 150 games. Tito is notorious for "giving" his starters days off.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
JD Drew's contract is the kind that gets GMs who aren't in Boston or New York fired.

The Lackey contract is arguably worse than the Zito or Hampton deals. That guy is a horrible, horrible pitcher and a world class asshole to boot.

Lackeys was horrid, the guy was on the down slide already and has shit the bed BIG time. I hate that guy more than I do Cassel. Crawford's contract could make lackeys look like a lolly pop if he continues to play like this. I don't think Theo is on the hotseat but IMO its not far.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
so you wish a guy who signed a 5 year contract for $14M a year retired 3.5 years into his deal but he wasn't overpaid?

...what?

You should have entered this thread by saying...

"While J.D. Drew was GROSSLY overpaid, I still think he was a good player and he did hit that 1 grand slam in the postseason that made us forget about how terrible of a signing he was for a few minutes..."

Then you could have saved face for a second.

Hootie
09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Crawford was a fine signing...people have bad years.

I'll be drafting Crawford in every league next year...hopefully in the 4th round. Nothing like getting 1st round talent in the 4th round.

I got Jacoby in the 6th or 7th round this year...needless to say I'm two days away from winning my league championship!

Jacoby! (I honestly feel dirty saying Jacoby was my favorite player this year since I loathe everything Boston)

MahiMike
09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
What a boob.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Lackeys was horrid, the guy was on the down slide already and has shit the bed BIG time. I hate that guy more than I do Cassel. Crawford's contract could make lackeys look like a lolly pop if he continues to play like this. I don't think Theo is on the hotseat but IMO its not far.

Theo has done a pretty tepid job, IMO.

He seems to be fairly good at identifying talent through the draft. He's horrible in FA acquisitions.

Good thing his buddy in SD gave him Adrian Gonzalez as a going away present.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
so you wish a guy who signed a 5 year contract for $14M a year retired 3.5 years into his deal but he wasn't overpaid?

...what?

You should have entered this thread by saying...

"While J.D. Drew was GROSSLY overpaid, I still think he was a good player and he did hit that 1 grand slam in the postseason that made us forget about how terrible of a signing he was for a few minutes..."

Then you could have saved face for a second.

saved face lol, I'm SO worried what some winner on a message board thinks. Id take a top 10 OBP/OPS player with well above average defense at his respective position any day. Take your fantasy pillowbitergy shit elsewhere.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Theo has done a pretty tepid job, IMO.

He seems to be fairly good at identifying talent through the draft. He's horrible in FA acquisitions.

Good thing his buddy in SD gave him Adrian Gonzalez as a going away present.

You can even question his drafting. As for AG, the Sox gave up some pretty top tier talent to get him.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Crawford was a fine signing...people have bad years.

I'll be drafting Crawford in every league next year...hopefully in the 4th round. Nothing like getting 1st round talent in the 4th round.

I got Jacoby in the 6th or 7th round this year...needless to say I'm two days away from winning my league championship!

Jacoby! (I honestly feel dirty saying Jacoby was my favorite player this year since I loathe everything Boston)

lol have YOU watched any baseball or do you just check your little fantasy stat page? CC looks UTTERLY lost, he has been putrid at the plate, awful on the base path and disgusting in the outfield. Will he "bounce back", maybe but its not looking good.

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Come on O's, a little help here!

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Come on O's, a little help here!

dont worry we will fold here in a few.

Bane
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/24lqv6h.jpg

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
dont worry we will fold here in a few.

Tie game :)

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Tie game :)

:cuss: better go turn the game on....

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Sox 2
O's 3

NYY 2
Rays 4

PBJ

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Sox 2
O's 6

PBJ PBJ PBJ

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Sox 2
O's 6

PBJ PBJ PBJ

We have won 2 fucking T W O games in September when we didn't score 12 runs.

chefsos
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
We have won 2 fucking T W O games in September when we didn't score 12 runs.There are very few things I'd like better than to see my wretched team finish off the season by driving a stake through the black fucking heart of your team followed by burning the corpse for good measure.

Nothing personal, though.

MIAdragon
09-26-2011, 07:54 PM
There are very few things I'd like better than to see my wretched team finish off the season by driving a stake through the black ****ing heart of your team followed by burning the corpse for good measure.

What ever makes cellar dwelling tolerable I guess. Sometimes you get hot at the right time and sometimes you dont.

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
26 outs for Shields before Maddon pulls him. :(

But..Rays win 5-2. :)

Sox 3 outs away from being tied in the WC race.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
What a game 1 down 2 to go

CoMoChief
09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
If he wasn't rich as shit......I doubt she would have married him to begin with. Maybe that's a horrible assumption to make, but another horrible assumption to make is that he's divorcing his wife because she has cancer. While the article may not directly say that, it sure implies it otherwise the cancer wouldn't even be mentioned at all. Cancer shouldn't be a reason to stay together if they marriage is turning sour, I doubt he's leaving her because he's feeling overwhelmed by the cancer or doesn't want to deal with it etc.

Setsuna
09-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Yankees lost on purpose to prevent Sox from getting to the post season. That's how you stick it to your rival.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Yankees lost on purpose to prevent Sox from getting to the post season. That's how you stick it to your rival.

:spock:

That's why they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead?

Hammock Parties
09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
I have a 6.41 ERA, I'm fat, everyone hates me, and now my wife is losing BOTH OF HER TITS?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefmtkEmwU1qg22s6o1_400.gif

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 06:12 AM
I have a 6.41 ERA, I'm fat, everyone hates me, and now my wife is losing BOTH OF HER TITS?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefmtkEmwU1qg22s6o1_400.gif

Don't forget his ugly ass face-mole.

http://images.wikia.com/austinpowers/images/f/fe/Themole.jpg

stevieray
09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
...maybe she is divorcing him.

Lex Luthor
09-27-2011, 07:49 AM
If he wasn't rich as shit......I doubt she would have married him to begin with. Maybe that's a horrible assumption to make, but another horrible assumption to make is that he's divorcing his wife because she has cancer. While the article may not directly say that, it sure implies it otherwise the cancer wouldn't even be mentioned at all. Cancer shouldn't be a reason to stay together if they marriage is turning sour, I doubt he's leaving her because he's feeling overwhelmed by the cancer or doesn't want to deal with it etc.
No, he's probably leaving her because he found better pussy on the side. Let's give him a medal.

If you take the idea of marriage seriously, then cancer IS a reason to stay together in the short term if your marriage is turning sour. That seems like a no-brainer to me, but apparently a lot of people on this forum see it differently.

Maybe some people just view marriage differently than other people. In my view there are at least a couple of valid reasons for temporarily staying in a marriage that you'd be prefer to be out of: you might stay together because you want your children to be in a household with two parents, you might stay together just because you want to see your kids every day, or you might stay together out of respect for a spouse that you were once in love with and now that spouse is freaking dying of cancer.

Once you fall out of love with your wife, that doesn't mean you start treating her like shit, unless your name is Newt Gingrich, John Edwards, or John Lackey. Those three guys seem to have a hell of a lot in common. Maybe Lackey should run for President.

Hootie
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Lackey will forever be famous though...for his role on the Angels when they won it all...

Dude was a rookie and was NAILS as shit

luv
09-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing the person who wrote that piece is the one who sent him the text.

We don't need to know why he divorced his wife. Cancer does change people, so maybe he didn't like who she'd become. What matters is how he pitches. That's what the public needs to know about.

If what he say is true about the text, then I agree that's crossing the line. If it's just him sucking, well, then lame excuse.

Frazod
09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
How do we know she's not a complete bitch?

I mean, sure, she looks sweet and pretty in that picture. She also looks like a perfect trophy wife, and they aren't necessarily the nicest people in the world. This isn't a normal wife - she's married to a multi-millionaire. It's not like she's holding down an extra job while somehow managing to keep the house clean and get the kids to soccer practice on time. Somebody who has sold their soul and ridden their appearance and physical attributes to attain weath and station probably wouldn't respond very well to having her body mutilated.

Or maybe she's Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island and he's an ogre. Who knows?

But I've been in a relationship with a woman who came off as sweet and wonderful - until she moved in with me and her name was on the lease, and then the facade came down and I realized I was trapped with a fucking monster. Once that happens to you, you look at the world differently afterward. Thank God I didn't marry her, but considering the hell she put me through in the few short miserable months we were together, if I had found out she had cancer, the only reason I would have stuck around would have been to watch her die.

loochy
09-27-2011, 09:44 AM

I think people's opinions are influenced by the following factors:

1.) Society gives attractive white women the benefit of the doubt in these situations
2.) Lackey is already a confirmed douchebag
3.) She has cancer, and, as we all know, everyone that has cancer is a saint and an inspiration (see Armstrong, Lance)

Frazod
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I think people's opinions are influenced by the following factors:

1.) Society gives attractive white women the benefit of the doubt in these situations
2.) Lackey is already a confirmed douchebag
3.) She has cancer, and, as we all know, everyone that has cancer is a saint and an inspiration (see Armstrong, Lance)

I like No. 3. I guess I'm supposed to be inspired by St. Hugo Chavez as well. LMAO

Hootie
09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
when I had chlamydia no one felt sorry for me

Fish
09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
No, he's probably leaving her because he found better pussy on the side. Let's give him a medal.

If you take the idea of marriage seriously, then cancer IS a reason to stay together in the short term if your marriage is turning sour. That seems like a no-brainer to me, but apparently a lot of people on this forum see it differently.

Maybe some people just view marriage differently than other people. In my view there are at least a couple of valid reasons for temporarily staying in a marriage that you'd be prefer to be out of: you might stay together because you want your children to be in a household with two parents, you might stay together just because you want to see your kids every day, or you might stay together out of respect for a spouse that you were once in love with and now that spouse is freaking dying of cancer.

Once you fall out of love with your wife, that doesn't mean you start treating her like shit, unless your name is Newt Gingrich, John Edwards, or John Lackey. Those three guys seem to have a hell of a lot in common. Maybe Lackey should run for President.

Thanks.... http://itstheroi.com/img/339px_White_knight.JPG

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
There are very few things I'd like better than to see my wretched team finish off the season by driving a stake through the black fucking heart of your team followed by burning the corpse for good measure.

Makes no difference. I'm not keen to see the Sox get swept out of the playoffs, which is pretty much inevitable even if they do crawl in, backwards, somehow.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Im not a fan of JD myself but the hate for the guy is not justified at all, fans hate him because he shows no emotion and that clouds judgement. No team is going to look for 25 Drews, he was brought in to be a roll player not to carry the team. Drew is averaging missing 41 games a season and with Tito's desire to get the starters 20 off games a season, he is missing an average of 20 more than the average for the team not great but not a walking DL sign either. I know stats are a bad thing but he's put up some decent numbers while here. These are the numbers for all RF starters.

Ops
10 19th
09 3rd
08 3rd
07 28th

OBP
10 23trd
09 3rd
08 1st
07 7th

He is also sporting an UZR/150 of 8+ his fielding has been excellent nothing close to average.

Is the guy Dwight Evans? No but lets not nail the guy to the cross.

BTW hey Meat Im watching the Sox play right now........

Look, I get what you're saying. There is no question that he doesn't suck in the way that Lackey and (this year) Crawford suck. He's not a completely and utterly useless POS. And I recognize that fans overreact to his lack of emotion, thinking somehow that because he doesn't wear his heart of his sleeve he doesn't give a crap.

Nor is it evil or soemhow his "fault" for taking $14MM for the Red Sox. That's their mistake, not his. His easily injured vagina was also a known issue for his entire career, and for the Sox to ignore it was purely stupid. He was never Cal Ripken.

But to say that he has earned his $14MM per year with his performance -- that he was NOT overpaid, is flat fucking absurd.

FIRST, I do not give a crap in hell what his performance is relative to other Right Fielders. Maybe all RFs in the AL, or entire MLB, suck ass the last 5 years. Maybe it's a statistical anomaly and even the good RFs have had down years here and there or whatever. You don't pay a guy relative to what others at his position are doing, you just reallocate the dollars elsewhere.

SECOND, he has zero intangibles. No leadership skills, nothing. So what you see is what you get, nothing more and nothing less. He's no Dustin Pedrioa that's for damn sure.

THIRD, he's been to ONE All-Star game in his entire career. That shows how people perceive him even relative to all other RFs (which again, I don't really care that much about).

FOURTH, even if he wasn't hurt all the time, this is what his numbers project out to playing 162 games (for his career, not just RS years):

Average: .278
HR: 25
RBI: 78
OBP: .384
OPS: .874
stolen bases: 9
caught stealing: 4

You add it all up, and there's no freaking way this guy is worth anywhere near $14MM per year. You could probably have gotten 85-90% of Drew's performance over more games for like $3M per year and have reallocated $11M to paying someone who is actually WELL above average for whatever position you going to allocate the money to since, apparently, most RFs in MLB are fairly mediocre currently.

Again, it's not his "fault". He didn't significantly underperform his career averages while he was with the RS. He didn't force anyone to pay him $14MM.

But he wasn't worth $14MM. Not even close.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
FOURTH, even if he wasn't hurt all the time, this is what his numbers project out to playing 162 games (for his career, not just RS years):

You add it all up, and there's no freaking way this guy is worth anywhere near $14MM per year. You could probably have gotten 85-90% of Drew's performance over more games for like $3M per year and have reallocated $11M to paying someone who is actually WELL above average for whatever position you going to allocate the money to since, apparently, most RFs in MLB are fairly mediocre currently.

Again, it's not his "fault". He didn't significantly underperform his career averages while he was with the RS. He didn't force anyone to pay him $14MM.

But he wasn't worth $14MM. Not even close.

Heh a little comparo here, any guesses to player B?

Drew

B
Average: .272
HR: 24
RBI: 86
OBP: .370
OPS: .840
stolen bases: 5

HINT he is in the Hall and played RF for the Sox as well.

Do you remember the last guy we had in RF before Drew? I dont miss Trot swinging at the first pitch he saw or lumbering to a short popup only to see it drop in. Would the FO liked to have had more production from the plate and less breakable? Sure, do I think they regret his contract not a chance. I can see your argument I still disagree though.

Id love to see you come up with a FA RF starter for 3 mil with those numbers.

Have you watched many games this year? Id like to hear your thoughts on Reddick.

Hootie
09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
was player B hurt 60 games a year and did he make $14M a year?

Hootie
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
and I assume we're talking about Jim Rice?

different eras bro

Hootie
09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
but it's funny how you ignore the points

Amnorix pointed out that yes...J.D. Drew, when playing, performs at an above adequate level...

but he just proved to you in SEVERAL POINTS that he is, indeed, overpaid...

and as Hamas pointed out...J.D. Drew signings for every team not in major markets gets GM's fired.

J.D. Drew is a poster boy for bad contracts...he's just not the lead character like Mike Hampton, John Lackey, etc...

Hootie
09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
BARRY Zito...(christ)

John Evans
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
prenup covers all

durtyrute
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
so?

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
and I assume we're talking about Jim Rice?

different eras bro

No Dwight Evans, different eras yes its just funny how close the 162 averages are similar.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
but it's funny how you ignore the points

Amnorix pointed out that yes...J.D. Drew, when playing, performs at an above adequate level...

but he just proved to you in SEVERAL POINTS that he is, indeed, overpaid...

and as Hamas pointed out...J.D. Drew signings for every team not in major markets gets GM's fired.

J.D. Drew is a poster boy for bad contracts...he's just not the lead character like Mike Hampton, John Lackey, etc...

Ive added points to counter as well, you ignore those? And to Hamas's point there have been MANY more bad signings than Drew in small market teams that have not killed the GM. Zito, V Wells and Soriano come to mind.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
BARRY Zito...(christ)

yup that bad.

Hootie
09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Ive added points to counter as well, you ignore those? And to Hamas's point there have been MANY more bad signings than Drew in small market teams that have not killed the GM. Zito, V Wells and Soriano come to mind.

uhm...the Cubs aren't a bad market and the Giants won a World Series DESPITE Zito...

and the Angels are over .500 every year so...Wells wasn't really anything more than a low risk, high reward type signing.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
uhm...the Cubs aren't a bad market and the Giants won a World Series DESPITE Zito...

and the Angels are over .500 every year so...Wells wasn't really anything more than a low risk, high reward type signing.

Ill give you the Cubs are not a small market team however the Soriano contract was awful. The Giants winning or not has nothing to do with this argument and Wells was given his contract by the Blue Jays and later TRADED to the Angles.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
No Dwight Evans, different eras yes its just funny how close the 162 averages are similar.

For real? "different eras yes", that's all you have to say about that little issue?

Let me line up the differences:

1. Gold Gloves: Dewey 8. Wounded Vag 0
2. Silver Slugger: Dewey 2. Canker 0.
3. All-Star games: Dewey 3. Finger Sprain 0
4. Top 10 MVP Voting years: Dewey 4. Hangnail 1
5. 148+ Games Played Single Season: Dewey 9. PMS hahahaha
6. Lead League in any Category: Dewey 13. Prominent Zit zero
7. Hustle, Grit, Desire, Squeezing most out of God-given ability. Dewey Infinite, Ingrown Hair zero.

Dewey lead the league in HRs from 1980-1989 (a statistical anomaly I realize) and also in total bases for those same years, and was the only player to hit 20+ HRs every year in the 80s. He played for 20 years, and only Yaz has more games than Dewey.

Also, Dewey played in an era when the offensive numbers were a helluva lot lower.

You have somehow, miraculously and amazingly, basically tried to compare Wounded Vag to one of the most consistent and durable players to ever put on a Red Sox uniform and call them similar. Spare me. 25 Dewey Evans at their position wins me some World Series. 25 Drew's gets me a very large doctor's bill.

You must not have seen Dewey Evans play because I really doubt you'll find any Red Sox fan over 35 or so that would think for a second "you know, Drew reminds me of Dewey."

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
For real? "different eras yes", that's all you have to say about that little issue?

Let me line up the differences:

1. Gold Gloves: Dewey 8. Wounded Vag 0
2. Silver Slugger: Dewey 2. Canker 0.
3. All-Star games: Dewey 3. Finger Sprain 0
4. Top 10 MVP Voting years: Dewey 4. Hangnail 1
5. 148+ Games Played Single Season: Dewey 9. PMS hahahaha
6. Lead League in any Category: Dewey 13. Prominent Zit zero
7. Hustle, Grit, Desire, Squeezing most out of God-given ability. Dewey Infinite, Ingrown Hair zero.

Dewey lead the league in HRs from 1980-1989 (a statistical anomaly I realize) and also in total bases for those same years, and was the only player to hit 20+ HRs every year in the 80s. He played for 20 years, and only Yaz has more games than Dewey.

Also, Dewey played in an era when the offensive numbers were a helluva lot lower.

You have somehow, miraculously and amazingly, basically tried to compare Wounded Vag to one of the most consistent and durable players to ever put on a Red Sox uniform and call them similar. Spare me. 25 Dewey Evans at their position wins me some World Series. 25 Drew's gets me a very large doctor's bill.

You must not have seen Dewey Evans play because I really doubt you'll find any Red Sox fan over 35 or so that would think for a second "you know, Drew reminds me of Dewey."

Relax Sally, I was not comparing both players just how similar the offensive numbers over a season were. Nothing more nothing less. I get it you don't like Drew, he is the debil. Im not a Drew fan either but the hate the guy gets is not justified.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Do you remember the last guy we had in RF before Drew? I dont miss Trot swinging at the first pitch he saw or lumbering to a short popup only to see it drop in.

Trot was much beloved, and much overrated, by the fan base because of his "dirt dog" type approach. I understand not missing him, but you can't really miss Drew either because, you know, he only played in half the games. :p

Would the FO liked to have had more production from the plate and less breakable? Sure, do I think they regret his contract not a chance. I can see your argument I still disagree though.

Really? You think they look back on that and would do it again with 20/20 hindsight? I think you're nuts.

Id love to see you come up with a FA RF starter for 3 mil with those numbers.

You can't. But you can probably get 85% or so of those numbers and reallocate the $11MM to another position, which is sure as hell what I would do.

Have you watched many games this year? Id like to hear your thoughts on Reddick.

Watching baseball is slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. Slightly. I haven't watched a full baseball game on TV outside of the World Series since the 80s. I go to the park 2-3 times/year, and otherwise pay attention while driving around in the car, skim the papers about them, etc. Baseball is a damn boring sport. No idea how anyone watches it, especially when some of these slow-ass pitchers (Dice-K or even Beckett) pitches, or when they're playing the Yankees. 4.5 hours of baseball -- JFC.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Relax Sally, I was not comparing both players just how similar the offensive numbers over a season were.

Next compare Matt Cassel to Terry Bradshaw while you're at it. Bet Cassel's averages are similar or better than that stiff Bradshaw.

Nothing more nothing less. I get it you don't like Drew, he is the debil. Im not a Drew fan either but the hate the guy gets is not justified.

Actually, you're wrong -- I dont' dislike Drew. He's overpaid, but he's not a jerk, idiot, A-hole or clubhouse cancer. He's a guy who was very much overpaid by the Red Sox (not his fault) and who slightly underperformed his career averages.

But comparing him to Dewey Evans? That's a joke.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Dont sell JD short he's been to a grand total of ONE AS game and was the AS MVP that year hehe.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Dont sell JD short he's been to a grand total of ONE AS game and was the AS MVP that year hehe.

Gotta say that when that's one of your best career highlights, you have singularly failed to earn $14MM per year.

Teddy Ballgame was AS MVP one year too. Nobody seems to remember or care much about that since he had a few other more meaningful accomplishments.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Trot was much beloved, and much overrated, by the fan base because of his "dirt dog" type approach. I understand not missing him, but you can't really miss Drew either because, you know, he only played in half the games. :p

I wont miss JD as long as we get a decent replacement, and according to CP that's going to be VERY easy.

Really? You think they look back on that and would do it again with 20/20 hindsight? I think you're nuts.

Id love to hear some of the alternatives.

You can't. But you can probably get 85% or so of those numbers and reallocate the $11MM to another position, which is sure as hell what I would do.

I dont know if you can even get that much production with out getting "lucky".

Watching baseball is slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. Slightly. I haven't watched a full baseball game on TV outside of the World Series since the 80s. I go to the park 2-3 times/year, and otherwise pay attention while driving around in the car, skim the papers about them, etc. Baseball is a damn boring sport. No idea how anyone watches it, especially when some of these slow-ass pitchers (Dice-K or even Beckett) pitches, or when they're playing the Yankees. 4.5 hours of baseball -- JFC.

I hear you, I played for a long time so its kinda like a wart it just wont go away. I usually make it up to Fen a few times a year as well. Yea Beckett slowing down is a new thing this year, not sure where that came from and Dice K well we wont see him in a Sox uni ever again, now there is a contract you can call shitty.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Next compare Matt Cassel to Terry Bradshaw while you're at it. Bet Cassel's averages are similar or better than that stiff Bradshaw.

Actually, you're wrong -- I dont' dislike Drew. He's overpaid, but he's not a jerk, idiot, A-hole or clubhouse cancer. He's a guy who was very much overpaid by the Red Sox (not his fault) and who slightly underperformed his career averages.

But comparing him to Dewey Evans? That's a joke.

GD Bradshaw thew a TON of INTs. :eek:

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-27-2011, 12:57 PM

San Fran has never been a small market. Sabean has always spent freely.

The Wells contract is one of the things that got Ricciardi fired, and you'd be kidding yourself not to think that the Soriano and Zambrano deals helped to get Hendry shitcanned.

Phobia
09-27-2011, 01:04 PM

For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

Fish
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

Says the divorced guy....

Carlota69
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
San Fran has never been a small market. Sabean has always spent freely.

The Wells contract is one of the things that got Ricciardi fired, and you'd be kidding yourself not to think that the Soriano and Zambrano deals helped to get Hendry shitcanned.

I wonder if taking on Wells contract will get Reagins fired? VW took a huge shit in Anaheim this year...

GO CHARGERS GO!
09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
20-17 ROFL

Carlota69
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
20-17 ROFL

I find it hilarious too, I mean the Chargers should of crushed us! WTF happened??? What the FUCK is wrong in San Diego??? You guys should be ashamed of yourself for even letting Cassel and Co have a prayer. What does it say about SD if they made this POS team look half decent??? Seriously. keep laughing.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Welcome to the dangers of comparing statistics across eras in any sport.

Look it up -- Matt Cassel also has a higher QB Rating than John Elway, who comes in at a very pedestrian 79.2. That kind of rating would get most QBs benched these days.

Meanwhile, Yaz famously lead the league in batting average in 1968. What was his batting average you ask? Why .301 of course. Which led to lowering the mound among other changes to try to get hitting up.

And I assume you know such weird stats as Walter Johnson having 110 shutouts in his career, or Cy Young 511 wins, etc. Once you go back far enough, baseball statistics become pretty meaningless because it's not really the same game.

But even comparing to the 80s is hard, especially in football which has undergone some pretty dramatic rules (and "points of emphasis") revisions which have fundamentally changed some aspects of the game.

Frazod
09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
20-17 ROFL

Did a Chargers troll really just talk trash about beating the crappiest team in football by three points at home? Wow.

Josh Lewin the Jew
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Did a Chargers troll really just talk trash about beating the crappiest team in football by three points at home? Wow.

You are the defending division chumps, fuck face.

Frazod
09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
You are the defending division chumps, fuck face.

Before you get banned again, or the warden catches you on his computer and calls the guards, or your mom decides it's time for another backrub, I'm just curious - which recurring troll are you?

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Oh, and it's the TDs to INTs ratio that gets me, moreso than the raw number of INTs. I looked it up -- Bradshaw is 19th all time in picks thrown. Favre leads the way with 336. Also in the top 10 -- Blanda, Unitas, Tarkenton, Marino, Tittle, etc. No active player is above 27th, however. Favre's record is probably unbreakable. 20 picks a season is pretty much completely unacceptable at this day and age, and someone would have to do that 17 years in a row to break Favre's record.

20+ pick seasons: Brees (1), Brady (0), Manning (2).

Hell, Eli Manning has only done it twice, and Rapeslisberger once.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Then you have guys in the hall like Lynn Swann, whos numbers pale in comparison to todays WR's. Dude never even had a 1000 yard recieving season.

Amnorix
09-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Then you have guys in the hall like Lynn Swann, whos numbers pale in comparison to todays WR's. Dude never even had a 1000 yard recieving season.

Lynn Swann was a mistake. I don't think he even deserved to go in when he went in, much less in comparison to those that can't get in now. Every time a WR is up for the hall and having trouble getting in, it's inevitable that someone brings up Swann's name.

The problem is that just because Swann was let in by mistake and because he was famous with 4 SB rings doesn't mean that the mistake should be repeated over and over again for other unworthy WRs.

Fact is the change in the game and the HOFs limitation on six players per year means alot of very high caliber WRs are NOT going to get in. And they shouldn't...

The Hall already disproportionately awards skill position players. There's no need to go out of the way to put in even more WRs, that's for damn sure.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Ok O's lets do this.Hope the rain holds off.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok O's lets do this.Hope the rain holds off.

:thumb:

chefsos
09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Back on topic damnit! John Lackey is still out there somewhere, and continues to be a douche.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
1-0 O'S

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Do the Yanks have the fattest starting pitchers in the league?

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Do the Yanks have the fattest starting pitchers in the league?

lol yup

chefsos
09-27-2011, 05:29 PM
It's weird too, because Garcia and Colon aren't thin like your typical Undead.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
2-0 Rays off a Zobrist homer :)

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
damm os lossing 2-1

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
hope the rays win os are done tonight

Hammock Parties
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM

LMAO

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 06:28 PM
hope the rays win os are done tonight

Not done yet.. 5-3 Sox.

Phobia
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Vows don't say anything about sticking around for a woman who is sleeping with half the neighborhood. I'm pretty much absolved there.

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Vows don't say anything about sticking around for a woman who is sleeping with half the neighborhood. I'm pretty much absolved there.

Nobody wants to be the last guy in line at the gang bang.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Holy shit.

Yanks go up 3-2 and after an intentional walk have the bases loaded with 0 outs. Rays get the triple play!

yanks 3
Rays 2
Bottom 6th

chefsos
09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Boston up 7-3. Ugh.

Spott
09-27-2011, 07:16 PM

That was my first thought. Maybe she's a miserable bitch that does nothing but nags him all the time and sleeps around when he's on the road.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
5-3 rays

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
5-3 rays

Yep, and the Rays have won 28 straight when they score 5 or more runs. :thumb:

Hootie
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
how about that spot start of Lavarnway?! Ol' Tito strikes again!

Brock
09-27-2011, 07:53 PM

No, that's covered under "for better or worse". Divorce is either okay or it isn't. It is.

MIAdragon
09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
No, that's covered under "for better or worse". Divorce is either okay or it isn't. It is.

or he just could have killed her and enacted the "death do us part" section.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Rivera gets a strikeout of BJ without a single pitch in the strike zone and 2 of them were called strikes. :doh!:

Frazod
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Divorce/cancer topic gets hijacked into a game thread.

God I love this place. LMAO

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM

God I love this place. LMAO

It's not crazy! It's sports!

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:05 PM
:bravo:Rays win os only down 8 -6

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Rays win! PBJ PBJ PBJ

chefsos
09-27-2011, 08:06 PM

God I love this place. LMAODon't forget the whole JD Drew/Bradshaw/Swann discussion...

Oh, and the O's suddenly have the tying run at the plate.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
o god gregg is in redsox will score here

CaliforniaChief
09-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Great hustle, fat ass Gregg.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
here we go come on o's

CaliforniaChief
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Markakis is having a good AB here....

CaliforniaChief
09-27-2011, 08:31 PM
That's too bad. Great AB there.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:32 PM
That's too bad. Great AB there.

ump is god awful should of been a walk

CaliforniaChief
09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
It's a crappy strike zone but it seems like Bell's been calling that consistently.

Nice hit, Vlad. C'mon O's, bury those rich bastards with one swing.

chefsos
09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Hmm. Two on, one out...

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:35 PM
DAMM 8-7

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Come on adam

CaliforniaChief
09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
What's up with these pitchers not wanting to field simple ground balls?

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
What's up with these pitchers not wanting to field simple ground balls?

After watching the Cards pitcher boot 2 bunts in the 12th last night, it must be epidemic.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 08:45 PM
:cuss:

Damn. Sox hold on so we have to do this all over again tomorrow night.

chefsos
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow. Looks like we're gonna have ties in both WC races with one game left.

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow. Looks like we're gonna have ties in both WC races with one game left.

And some though the WC was a travesty.

There isn't a division race left and many WC's have won the WS.

I think they should go ahead and add another.

stonedstooge
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM
And some though the WC was a travesty.

There isn't a division race left and many WC's have won the WS.

I think they should go ahead and add another.

And give a bye? Or add two?

Carlota69
09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
That was my first thought. Maybe she's a miserable bitch that does nothing but nags him all the time and sleeps around when he's on the road.

Actually it he who runs around and cheats on her when he is on the road. He literally is the John Edwards of baseball, except he looks more like Mr Ed instead of a cheeseball ken Doll.

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
And give a bye? Or add two?

Good question. I don't think any team wants a bye. Too much time off and there is too much already during the playoffs.

I would need to think about that.

Marcellus
09-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Actually it he who runs around and cheats on her when he is on the road. He literally is the John Edwards of baseball, except he looks more like Mr Ed instead of a cheeseball ken Doll.

She will get paid which she should. Not condoning any behavior but she probably had an idea what she was getting into and liked the glamor of the $.

Why else marry that ugly ass douchebag?

Seems like a 2 way street, but I could be wrong.

Carlota69
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
She will get paid which she should. Not condoning any behavior but she probably had an idea what she was getting into and liked the glamor of the $.

Why else marry that ugly ass douchebag?

Seems like a 2 way street, but I could be wrong.

Yeah hes fubugly (fucking Butt ugly) for sure, so $$ had something to do with her interest for i imagine, unless hes hung like a horse which is possible because his face is hung like a horse.

purple cameltoe
09-28-2011, 02:31 PM

You don't even know shit about baseball. Get the **** out of this thread, lard ass.

Bowser
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
You don't even know shit about baseball. Get the **** out of this thread, lard ass.

MULT ON THE LOOSE!!

Al Bundy
09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
MULT ON THE LOOSE!!

Yep.. I wonder which one of these cocksmokers he belongs to.

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
FUCK YOU MARK TEIXEIRA

chefsos
09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
FUCK YOU MARK TEIXEIRAHow the fuck does David Price keep getting beat with the stuff he has?

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Go O's!

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
DOUBLE FUCK YOU MARK TEIXEIRA YOU FAT FUCK

Spott
09-28-2011, 07:19 PM

I see. I have never heard of John Lackey until this thread so I had no idea what the guy was like. I never knew that guy that could talk to dead people cheated on his wife, too.

MIAdragon
09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
How the **** does David Price keep getting beat with the stuff he has?

6 of his losses he gave up 3 or less runs. He has an era of 3.3 in the AL East at 25, the kids got game. He's a monster and is only going to get better.

tk13
09-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Big time rally. Longoria just popped one to cut it to 7-6 Yankees.

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Big time rally. Longoria just popped one to cut it to 7-6 Yankees.

Yep. Hopefully a quick top 9th and a rally in the bottom.

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
DAN JOHNSON MOTHER FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

pinch hit with 2 outs in the 9th hits it out of the park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Bundy
Good job Johnson.

SPchief
BOOM

tk13
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
LMAO You've gotta be kidding. A .100 hitter with 1 HR in about 30 games ties it in the 9th. That's some managing right there, I think.

chefsos
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Holy shit!

DaKCMan AP
09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
LMAO You've gotta be kidding. A .100 hitter with 1 HR in about 30 games ties it in the 9th. That's some managing right there, I think.

Dan Johnson has a history of doing that, just usually against the Sox.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
For DaKcMan:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MbSaCOQdy8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Carlota69
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
OH MY!
:D
http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/09/the_postmortem.html?camp=obnetwork

By Chad Finn, Boston.com/Globe Staff

If you're a baseball fan first, it's a night you'll never forget. If you're a Red Sox fan first, it's a night you'll never be allowed to forget.

The 2011 Boston Red Sox completed the worst regular-season collapse in baseball history last night, gagging away ... well, hell, you know. We'll keep today's postmortem brief since we'll be considering and reconsidering this 7-win, 20-loss September nightmare through the winter and spring and probably beyond.

Seven wins. Twenty losses. And none more painful than the last. Oh, yeah, this one is going to linger, folks, right up until the Red Sox win something meaningful again. In '78, the Red Sox showed tremendous resilience after their famous collapse, winning their final eight games of the regular season to force a one-game playoff. In 2003, it was an extraordinarily admirable team done in by a fierce, talented rival and its own molasses-brained manager.

This . . . this is just. Appropriate. This is right, how it should be. It stinks if you're a Red Sox fan, but it's the frigid truth The Red Sox gave the Rays every chance in the world to steal their place in the postseason. Took 'em to the 12th inning of their 162d game, but damned if they didn't do it. You could say Joe Maddon's crew ripped the Sox' heart out. But first we'd require proof that they had one in the first place. Save for but a few -- the great Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Alfredo Aceves, perhaps Marco Scutaro -- I don't sympathize with this crew the way I did with Yaz in '78 or Buckner in '86 or Pedro and Wakefield and just about all of them in '03. These guys did this to themselves.

How did it happen? Why? It feels like there are pieces of the knowledge puzzle missing. Is it chemistry? It's not a lack of ability -- the Sox were the best team in the American League through much of the summer, going 81-42 from the conclusion of the 2-10 start until September 1. On that date, they were on cruise control toward October, nine games up on the Rays in the wild card race. Two days later, Baseball Prospectus gave them a 99.6 chance of making the postseason.

So now we know what 0.4 percent looks like. Last night was a microcosm of the whole month of September, right down to the shell-shocked Carl Crawford botching a catchable ball again, Robert Bleepin' Andino tormenting blank-eyed Jonathan Papelbon again, and the Rays digging out of the grave again, coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Yankees, who did an honest job of maintaining the game's integrity while also preparing for their long-since secured postseason berth.

The eerie juxtapositions of events of last night -- the Rays winning on Evan Longoria's walk-off homer mere seconds after Andino and the Orioles had staggered the Red Sox, when a Boston victory and a Tampa Bay loss had both been one out away from reality earlier in the game -- became instant baseball lore. With a similar dramatic collapse by the Atlanta Braves concluding in the National League, it was a compelling, unforgettable night of baseball, provided your spirits didn't get crushed like a John Lackey fastball.

Last night was the denouement of a month's worth of horrendous performances from those who make up this $161 million roster, of all of the innings wasted by a lack of urgency, inspiration, and a shortage of timely pitching and hitting. Don't let anyone tell you that injuries weren't a reason for this -- Kevin Youkilis and Clay Buchholz and even Daisuke Matsuzaka would have made a difference, and Adrian Gonzalez's power was sapped by shoulder and leg woes -- but don't let anyone tell you they were the reason, either.

Talented, richly compensated players did not perform, starting with Lackey, who simply cannot return to this team or this city next year. Not only is he coming off the worst season a Red Sox starting pitcher has ever submitted, but he's a miserable, dim, finger-pointing, unaccountable wretch of a teammate, and those may be his good qualities. That the Red Sox were apparently considering acquiring lefthanded mediocrity Bruce Chen to pitch a one-game playoff if necessary tells you all you need to know about Lackey's status with the team. Pack up the sneer and the sacks of unearned cash and just go away.

There are others who will be called to the witness stand today. Gonzalez has some lovely statistics and the dubious distinction of being a featured star on a second straight team that collapsed down the stretch. Big Papi's clutch mojo has been absent so long that a huge hit in a pivotal situation seems more like a tired wish than a real possibility. Josh Beckett and Jon Lester need to pitch up to their reputations, and I think they should seriously shop Beckett. I can't believe I'm sitting here watching ancient Johnny Damon get interviewed after earning yet another trip to the postseason while I wonder why Carl Crawford, the player Damon helped replace in Tampa at a fraction of the cost, plays with such timidity. What has happened to that dynamic player who tormented the all those years while he was in Tampa Bay? And is he gone for good? Because right now, he's Coco Crisp with a lousy glove.

The man who put this bunch together won't escape cross-examination. Theo Epstein is a tremendous general manager when common sense and context are considered, but he must be accountable for the Lackey and Crawford contracts (provided the latter wasn't pushed on him by ownership desperate to boost NESN ratings). I do not want him to lose his job or bolt for the Cubs by any means; I want him to find his way out of this mess he has created. And I trust he will.

As for the manager, please don't bring those ill-considered gripes to me, the reactionary argument that someone's head has to roll, that Terry Francona has gone too soft. Save the shrieking for someone else; I'm going to be more infuriated if Francona leaves than I was when Papelbon threw that meatball to Nolan Reimold. Just because Francona doesn't light up his players to the media doesn't mean he's passive behind closed doors. He's honest, funny, and sarcastic -- I'm sure he gets his points across. Again, please, try to keep perspective, and that goes double for anyone in ownership who wrongheadedly thinks Bobby Valentine is the solution to anything.

Have we actually forgotten during this meltdown and his helplessness to prevent it that Francona has so many essential attributes and admirable accomplishments, starting with those two championships? It wasn't so long ago -- I suppose August is the correct answer -- that a third seemed a real possibility this year. He handles the complexity and ancillary nonsense of the managerial job in Boston as well as anyone ever has. He is usually rewarded by his trust in his players; don't make him the scapegoat because they failed him this year.

You want it to go back to the way it was before 2004, Mr. Henry? Start by dumping the best manager the Red Sox have ever had, and you just may get that wish. If Francona leaves, it had better come on his own terms.

Just because the Red Sox blew it in agonizing fashion doesn't mean the whole organization needs to be blown up. Keep Theo, keep Tito, and erase all evidence that this Lackey thing ever happened, and the optimism for 2012 will return soon enough. Who knows, maybe you'll even sell a few bricks.

Just don't let a bad ending destroy what should still be a good situation once the shock and disappointment fade.

4th and Long
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I was chatting with some die hard, eat, breath, sleep, Yankees fans yesterday and they were praying for a Yankee loss. They hate Boston that much!

loochy
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok, back to divorce talk.

loochy
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmm...pritay hot

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/John-Lackey.jpg

http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/boston.jpg

Amnorix
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I was chatting with some die hard, eat, breath, sleep, Yankees fans yesterday and they were praying for a Yankee loss. They hate Boston that much!

Course they do,b ut they're dumb. I'd be THRILLED if the Rays bounce them from the playoffs if both teams get that far. Boston never would have. The point is that the Red Sox weren't going to do anything in the playoffs, while the Rays are a threat.

Frazod
09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...pritay hot

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/John-Lackey.jpg

http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/boston.jpg

Damn, she lost those? Oh, the humanity. :(

Hootie
09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Course they do,b ut they're dumb. I'd be THRILLED if the Rays bounce them from the playoffs if both teams get that far. Boston never would have. The point is that the Red Sox weren't going to do anything in the playoffs, while the Rays are a threat.

who's to say Boston wouldn't have done anything in the playoffs?

The White Sox were REELING hardcore in 05 and then went on to go 11-1 in the postseason...

you never know...and as mediocre as Beckett and Lester had been pitching...they are still a scary duo and they still have the potential to score 10 runs with that lineup at any given time...

Yes, the Rays now have that "team of destiny" feel but you play to win...you don't play to put the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs...ever. Not if you're a Yankee.

loochy
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Damn, she lost those? Oh, the humanity. :(

There was a LOT to lose.