PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel’s quarterback play isn’t inspiring hope

ReynardMuldrake
09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Cassel’s quarterback play isn’t inspiring hope

By SAM MELLINGER

SAN DIEGO | Really, they have so much reason to feel good in this place. The Chiefs played their best game of the season and even if that’s a classic thinnest-kid-at-fat-camp compliment, there is enough that the large men in this locker room should be smiling and whooping about.

Instead, the silence is broken only by the muted shuffling of equipment managers and the hushed questions from reporters about a blown opportunity.

And to be clear, it’s Matt Cassel who blew this opportunity.

The wake of the Chiefs’ 20-17 loss to the Chargers is a good time to wonder how many more chances he should get.

Because no matter how much lipstick the Chiefs try to put on it, this is the kind of failure that can stick with a guy, can change hearts and minds — and not in a good way.

The grassroots fan movement hoping for the Chiefs to stink their way into Stanford quarterback and assumed top overall pick Andrew Luck gained momentum. The players around Cassel look capable of doing their part, and Cassel has apparently regressed enough to create the need.

This is not the player general manager Scott Pioli envisioned when he used a trade and $63 million contract to secure him. Cassel is supposed to be the brand of quarterback who, as coach Todd Haley might say, “won’t do the kinds of things that get you beat.”

He is a facilitator and a protector of the football. The arm strength isn’t there for all the throws, but he made the Pro Bowl last year for throwing only seven interceptions. This is the kind of quarterback the Chiefs have built their offense, and much of their identity, around.

Well, what can you say now?

What happens when a 29-year-old quarterback starting his 48th game panics at the most crucial time and throws an interception on a screen pass?

“That’s obviously on me,” Cassel says. “I don’t have any words for that other than the fact that I’m hurting inside and I wish I could change it.”

Cassel has now thrown three touchdowns and five interceptions. Jacksonville’s Luke McCown is the only man in the league with a worse ratio, and he just got benched for a rookie. Cassel’s 5.2 yards per attempt are last in the league and would match the worst mark for a full-time quarterback in three seasons.

The Chiefs’ 0-3 record is not entirely on Cassel, of course. The offensive line is leaking and Jamaal Charles and Tony Moeaki are on injured reserve. This team’s problems go much deeper than one man, but this one stinks worse because of the context.

The Chiefs spent parts of Sunday looking like an actual NFL team for the first time all season, holding the Chargers to fewer than 4 yards per carry and confusing Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers into two interceptions (even if the refs may have missed a pass interference call on one of them).

The Chiefs were behind all day, Cassel ineffective enough through three quarters that the offense mostly became tiny Dexter McCluster running behind a broken line.

The Chiefs didn’t get a first down or a point or a positive passing play to a receiver until the third quarter. Cassel mostly continued his frustrating habit of throwing no more than 5 yards downfield, often just short of what’s needed for a first down.

Except the Chargers — working within the Norv Turner corollary — never took the invitation to make this a blowout. They generally moved the ball just enough to satisfy fantasy football owners, being careful to score only in response to the Chiefs’ scores.

After a historically inept first two games, criticism rising to the level of questioning Haley’s job security, a win here would’ve changed the entire conversation back in Kansas City.

Cassel could’ve done that, right here, the kind of 2-minute situation every kid plays out in the backyard. On first down, Cassel hit Leonard Pope down the left seam for 23 yards. Afterward, Haley called it “one of (Cassel’s) better throws of the last couple years.”

His next may have been his worst.

The Chiefs had what Haley and many of the players involved still think was the perfect play called at the perfect time. They knew the Chargers would bring outside pressure, especially from the weak side, so a screen pass to McCluster into the blitz could go for a big chunk.

Cassel kept his head downfield for the first few steps of his drop, and maybe it was the adrenaline of the moment, but when he swung his head back to the left, he blanked on safety Eric Weddle peeling out of his blitz and in front of McCluster.

“A ball I’d like to have back,” Cassel says.

“We can’t throw an interception there,” Haley says.

“We could’ve either thrown the ball into the ground, or could’ve done this, could’ve done that,” McCluster says. “But you know what? It didn’t happen. We’ve got to stick together and keep moving.”

Whether that includes Cassel is now seriously up for debate, the biggest topic of this Chiefs season. Maybe Ryan Succop would’ve missed the game-tying field-goal attempt, or maybe the Chiefs would’ve lost in overtime. It’s entirely possible that Cassel could’ve made the right decision and still be watching tape of a loss today.

But we’ll never know, and that’s the point.

The bigger vision of this offense is surrounding Cassel with enough playmakers and support to make up for his inadequacies and highlight what Pioli sees — saw? — as a critical ability to avoid major mistakes.

Even before Sunday, that thinking could be picked apart based on the Chiefs’ still having an obviously flawed roster in need of both depth and upgrades. Now, it can be blown up by the growing pile of evidence that Cassel is miscast even for the neutered role of facilitator.

The players around Cassel did enough that the talk today should be about hope. Instead, Cassel made the kind of mistake that forces you to wonder if he needs to be replaced to get that hope back.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/25/3166930/cassels-mistake-makes-you-wonder.html

ReynardMuldrake
09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, and I hear the Titanic was a fairly large boat.

bevischief
09-26-2011, 04:39 PM
I am not a big Cassel fan but I believe his rib injury is worse than they let on.

suzzer99
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Who cares? He's always been pretty inaccurate unless he's in a groove where we're playing well and the chips are up. We need a QB that can lift a team up when they're overmatched a little or things aren't going well. That's always when Cassel can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Phobia
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I am not a big Cassel fan but I believe his rib injury is worse than they let on.

Did he have injured ribs last year when the entire offensive system was (brilliantly) tailored to mask his weaknesses?

FAX
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
It must be a pretty strange rib injury, though. Not bad enough to prevent him from throwing the ball down-field when he forgets to check out of a pass, but sufficiently bad to cause him to miss a receiver who was 5 yards away by ... well ... about 10 yards.

FAX

4th and Long
Cassel can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Yes he can, ... as long as the barn isn't more than 3 yards away. After watching the Sandy Eggo game, I'm convinced the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of boat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
I thought Teicher would grow the balls at the Star first. Well the mudslide has begun

DTLB58
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Ya think?

the Talking Can
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Cassel was an embarrassment to the position yesterday.

He makes me long for Damon Huard.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
yea his play isnt inspiring, neither is his ability to put his hat on his head

DTLB58
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
The Play calling doesn't leave much to be desired either.
The only time they open it up and go down field the Breaston is when Bowe is out of the game, wtf? isn't that part of the reason they got more help in the off season so opposing defenses would stop doubling Bowe?

I remember watching teams in the 70's that had better passing attacks/schemes that what the Chiefs do. Why was Haley hired again?

FringeNC
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Wow. Brutal article by a KC Star guy. No attempt to sugarcoat the failures.

FringeNC
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I remember watching teams in the 70's that had better passing attacks/schemes that what the Chiefs do. Why was Haley hired again?

Haley is trying to scheme around Cassel. Watch some of the Cardinals under Haley, and you'll see a completely different offense.

Rausch
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Did he have injured ribs last year when the entire offensive system was (brilliantly) tailored to mask his weaknesses?

We have more offensive talent this year and his play is back to bad or worse.

What are the only things that are different?...

suzzer99
09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Cassel's QB play is inspiring me to go take a big hairy poo. Wish me luck. I'll try to see if I can miss the bowl.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
It must be a pretty strange rib injury, though. Not bad enough to prevent him from throwing the ball down-field when he forgets to check out of a pass, but sufficiently bad to cause him to miss a receiver who was 5 yards away by ... well ... about 10 yards.

FAX

didn't keep him from zipping a 50 yard pass on a rope to Breaston either. Yep. That's a strange rib injury.

BigMeatballDave
09-26-2011, 05:22 PM

Good God, Man. How many excuses is he going to get. Give it up, Cassel is a lost cause.

Ace Gunner
Cassel's QB play is inspiring me to go take a big hairy poo. Wish me luck. I'll try to see if I can miss the bowl.

if you do, blame it on the RT.

Okie_Apparition
They don't call him "checkdown" for the hell of it. Well...not always

ILChief
Wow. Brutal article by a KC Star guy. No attempt to sugarcoat the failures.

First the fans, then the local sports talk, then the local newspaper. Next is the talking heads on ESPN. Then they will make the move when they're hearing it from every angle.

The Franchise
09-26-2011, 05:26 PM
The Play calling doesn't leave much to be desired either.
The only time they open it up and go down field the Breaston is when Bowe is out of the game, wtf? isn't that part of the reason they got more help in the off season so opposing defenses would stop doubling Bowe?

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again.

The play calling is the way it is....BECAUSE OF CASSEL.

Deberg_1990
09-26-2011, 05:27 PM
His play is certainly inspiring "suck for Luck"
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Pantalones
09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Cassel makes me wanna punch babies and I'm a Christian.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 05:35 PM
First the fans, then the local sports talk, then the local newspaper. Next is the talking heads on ESPN. Then they will make the move when they're hearing it from every angle.

Zorn has been seen firmly telling Cassel to chuck that ball downfield during at least the Lions game.

Haley said during the presser after the Lions he'll give Cassel 4 or 5 games to get it right. The days of Matt Cassel - NFL QB are numbered either way. He's going to be benched soon. If he starts throwing to open downfield receivers next game, look for INT after INT and a meltdown followed by a benching. If he keeps on with the checkdowns, he will get benched.

BigMeatballDave
09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
didn't keep him from zipping a 50 yard pass on a rope to Breaston either. Yep. That's a strange rib injury.

That pass was hardly on a rope LMAO

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
That pass was hardly on a rope LMAO

heh, it was 50 yards man.

hometeam
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I still cant figure out why this fanbase ever settled for Cassel.

WHY CANT WE HAVE A BRADY OR MANNING?

Cassel, always has, and always will, be the the guy who just cant GET IT DONE.

FringeNC
09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Monetary considerations will force the Chiefs to bench Cassel. It's hard to be a fan of a team with no hope that the QB can play. Playing Stanzi equals fan excitement.

In all seriousness, the play calling on Sunday was more dumbed down for Cassel than for any ROOKIE QB now playing in the NFL, and it's not even close.

suzzer99
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
if you do, blame it on the RT.

As usual Cassel went to pieces under pressure. Cassel I, Cassel II and little mini Cassel born on 9/26/2001 at 4:25pm PST. Weighing in at 5.7 oz. Flushed on 9/26/2001 at 4:26pm PST.

DanT
09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
The writer of the cover story says that the Chiefs 0-3 start is not entirely on Cassell, citing among other things Charles' injury. Although it's true that the bad start is not entirely on Cassell, in my opinion, Charles' injury is at least in part on Cassell, as that injury was sustained in desperation. Charles got hurt trying to get something that the rest of his team was much less capable of getting, a first down. As they say, when opportunity meets preparation, good luck results. Well, when incompetence meets overpaid, condoms break, desperation is born and ligaments pop.

BryanBusby
09-26-2011, 05:53 PM
This is me IRL when Cassel drops back to pass.

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/OMFG.gif

Hammock Parties
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM

I saw this and was wishing it had been Haley.

Rasputin
09-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Yea, Romo had a punctured lung or something right? Then if he can't handle it all the more reason for him to be gone.

Ming the Merciless
09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
this guy is just now figuring this out?

wow...

MahiMike
09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Matt's trying to feel good about himself today.

FAX
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
It is, however, inspiring dope.

Anti-depressant sales in the Midwest have peaked to an all-time high.

FAX

the Talking Can
09-26-2011, 06:16 PM

loved that

"OH MY ****ING GOD!!!!!!"

whoman69
09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I want him gone yesterday. I'm wondering what his rating is going to be from ESPN and other non-traditional QB ratings. He had a 100 QB rating on a horrible game because he completed 70% of his passes. That should be pretty easy to do when you only throw the ball 6 yards down the field.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
As usual Cassel went to pieces under pressure. Cassel I, Cassel II and little mini Cassel born on 9/26/2001 at 4:25pm PST. Weighing in at 5.7 oz. Flushed on 9/26/2001 at 4:26pm PST.

nice. I always do my Cassel business in the morning:D

suzzer99
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I've got a rancid hangover Cassel percolating that's just about ready to Cassel it's way out of my Cassel.

Fish
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM

WHY CANT WE HAVE A BRADY OR MANNING?

Cassel, always has, and always will, be the the guy who just cant GET IT DONE.

Well.... when Pioli came to the site to ask us whether us fans felt he should trade for Cassel, the vote was pretty close at the time. The fans almost voted it down, in which Pioli would have declined the trade.. but no such Luck...

Tribal Warfare
09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Well.... when Pioli came to the site to ask us whether us fans felt he should trade for Cassel, the vote was pretty close at the time. The fans almost voted it down, in which Pioli would have declined the trade.. but no such Luck...

nice!!!!!!

HemiEd
09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Yeah, it is a real puzzler, no doubt. I think GoatCheese was working for WPI at the time and they liked Cassel over there.

Rooster
09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

LMAOLMAO

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 12:52 PM

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache3/5cf5fbdb5457083bd72590654ed6677a.png?orig_url=http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/funny-dog-pictures-dog-asks-you-what-you-are-talking-about.jpg

Josh Lewin the Jew
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
20-17 ROFL

NJChiefsFan
09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Haley is trying to scheme around Cassel. Watch some of the Cardinals under Haley, and you'll see a completely different offense.

Agreed.

I saw this and was wishing it had been Haley.

I have no doubt in my mind thats exactly what Haley does watching film by himself. This offense he runs here compared to Arizona tells me what he thinks of Matt.

The only reason he hasn't switched is because Palko isn't any better(jokes aside we know this is true), and Stanzi probably isn't ready. As bad as Matt is until Stanzi is ready Haley is going to try to win, even if its ugly as hell. He is coaching for his job.

At some point you would think Haley would go to Stanzi. Force the point that its the QB's fault. That would be my move if I was Haley.

09-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Agreed.

I have no doubt in my mind thats exactly what Haley does watching film by himself. This offense he runs here compared to Arizona tells me what he thinks of Matt.

The only reason he hasn't switched is because Palko isn't any better(jokes aside we know this is true), and Stanzi probably isn't ready. As bad as Matt is until Stanzi is ready Haley is going to try to win, even if its ugly as hell. He is coaching for his job.

At some point you would think Haley would go to Stanzi. Force the point that its the QB's fault. That would be my move if I was Haley.
I figure we will see Palko within couple games after the bye and then Stanzi within the next 3.

NJChiefsFan
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I figure we will see Palko within couple games after the bye and then Stanzi within the next 3.

Sounds about right. Palko coming in and having a fluke game would be a large kick in the balls. I would like to see what Stanzi has. That being said, if we are getting the number 1 pick we should be taking Luck either way, and at that point Stanzi is a backup for good. Even if he played well for a few games that isn't going to give him that much value.

Rausch
09-27-2011, 11:17 PM
http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache3/5cf5fbdb5457083bd72590654ed6677a.png?orig_url=http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/funny-dog-pictures-dog-asks-you-what-you-are-talking-about.jpg

LMAO