PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF Grades the Chiefs, Week 3

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
More details in a minute.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/28/re-focused-chiefs-chargers-week-3/

Kansas City – Three Performances of Note

1) Replacing Jamaal Charles
You can’t ever replace one of the best backs in the NFL but the Chiefs did need to find a way to get some speed back in to their offensive backfield. Thomas Jones is fine for getting what his offensive line gives him and taking the game physically to the defense but he isn’t going to create something out of nothing nor scare the defense with his speed. Fortunately for the Chiefs, they drafted a similarly talented player to Jamaal Charles last season in the shape of Dexter McCluster (+2.1). McCluster has been used as all over the field since he came in to the league but with Charles’ injury, the Chiefs will surely deploy him more in the backfield. His abilities to make players miss (as he did to Takeo Spikes and Stephen Cooper) and turn on the jets to get around the edge will be key to replacing Charles’ speed in the running game as the season progresses.

2. The continued pain of Eric Berry’s injury
As if losing Eric Berry and his playmaking ability wasn’t enough, the performance of his replacements, Jon McGraw (-1.5) and Sabby Piscitelli (-3.7), only adds more pain to the situation. McGraw and Piscitelli both have a history of poor performances in the league and their display on Sunday did nothing to allay fears that they’ll be a weakness as the season progresses. The two safeties combined for three missed tackles and at times looked like they didn’t have a hope of staying with receivers in coverage. Kendrick Lewis (+0.8) looks solid enough on one side but the Chiefs desperately need better next to him at the back of their defense and McGraw and Piscitelli simply can’t offer that.

3) Tigers on the defensive line
After struggles early in their respective careers, the Chiefs’ defensive end pairing of Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey have, to differing levels, started to reproduce the form they showed in their college careers at LSU. They registered five stops between them in this game and caused troubles for the San Diego line when the Chargers tried to run between the tackles. These two may not be the great disruptive presences the Chiefs were hoping for, but, particularly after Jackson’s rookie season, what they have now is a welcome return on their investment.
San Diego – Three Performances of Note

1) Running with a purpose
Ryan Mathews (+3.1) still isn’t getting a great deal of help from his offensive line (cumulative run block grade of -4.6 this week) but he is making things happen on the ground and, most importantly for the Chargers, he is doing it consistently. Often behind poor offensive lines you’ll get a lightning-in-a-bottle play as the back rips off one big gain. Great in the stat column, but not so helpful for building a consistent rushing attack. Mathews, by comparison, was graded positively for 11 of his 21 runs, more than 50% of his carries he added extra to the running game. Until the Chargers’ offensive line sorts itself out, this is the sort of performance they’ll need to see from Mathews, play-to-play and game-to-game.
2) Quieting the doubters
Prior to the season, questions were raised about whether the Chargers fully trusted Donald Butler (+3.1) and contingency was brought in for him should he not live up to their expectations. After a pair of average displays in Weeks 1 and 2, Butler emerged with a quality display against the run and the pass. Butler was not only able to make plays tracking backs in coverage, but also in defeating blockers and filling gaps to make tackles for minimal or no gain. Currently, this is a one-off but more performance like this and Butler will see his snap count grow and Stephen Cooper will be permanently on the sidelines in San Diego.

3) Improvement from the front three
The defensive line, aside from Antonio Garay, has been a sore spot for the Chargers for a number of seasons now but this week the defensive front showed signs of improvement against the Chiefs’ offensive line. For once, Garay was not his usual disruptive force but, in a change from the norm, others picked up the slack. Vaughn Martin (+1.3), Jacques Cesaire (+2.3), Cam Thomas (+2.5) and Ogmedi Nwagbuo (+1.4) all graded positively in this game, providing impact as pass rushers and run stuffers. The Chargers’ defensive line combined to contribute 11 stops – a rare show of strength to make life a little easier for those behind them.

Game Notes

● Stephen Cooper saw his first eight snaps of the season in this game, registering a missed tackle without making one.

● The Chargers’ struggles with the deep ball continue. After going 0-for-2 in this game, Philip Rivers is now 3-for-11 with an interception on such throws in 2011.

● Dexter McCluster’s five receptions all came against different San Diego defenders.

PFF Game Ball

Donald Butler, ILB, San Diego Chargers

Butler put in the sort of performance that will rapidly win him friends in San Diego. He collected eight tackles – six of them defensive stops – as he put in his best performance of the season after solid displays in the first two weeks.

Bowser
09-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Bowser grades the Chiefs Week 3 perofrmance - Epic Fail.

keg in kc
09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I have a feeling a lot of d-lines will mysteriously have their best days against us this year.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
The entire OL had a negative run blocking grade apart from Albert.

Pass blocking was better this week, Richardson had a very solid game. Albert was average. Lila got beaten very badly three times, which I saw in my review but didn't gif.

Matt Cassel had a positive grade. LMAO He was only under pressure on 4 snaps.

DJ and Belcher had good games again.

Cameron Sheffield was active with 4 pressures.

Tyson Jackson was the best player on defense.

Justin Houston had 0 pass rush snaps. :cuss:

BossChief
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
What is Dexter McClusters season ranking as a running back? Whats his +/- ?

(I dont expect this to be answered)

Id REALLY like for this staff to try and figure out what fuels Tyson Jackson to play so well against SD every fucking time so they can possibly tap into it against other teams.

The kid looks pretty damn good every time we play the Chargers.

Bowser
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM

What the fuck with this? He showed massive potential for getting after the QB in preseason (yeah, yeah, I know). Some days I wonder if our entire coaching staff is draining a hooka filled with grade a government weed Sunday mornings.

loochy
09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
What the fuck with this? He showed massive potential for getting after the QB in preseason (yeah, yeah, I know). Some days I wonder if our entire coaching staff is draining a hooka filled with grade a government weed Sunday mornings.

Well, if they are then they can't own a weapon.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Ryan Lilja is NOT having a good season so far. He's ranked way down the list overall and has been a sieve in pass blocking.

Asamoah is struggling in run blocking, but has been pass blocking fine.

Tyson Jackson is sniffing the top 10 in 3-4 DEs. Sorry haters. He's been better than Dorsey and it's not close.

Tamba's production is way down. He had 64 pressures last year. Three this year.

Belcher's 3.6 run defense rating is good for 6th in the league among inside/mlbs

Sabby Piscitelli is THE WORST SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE. LITERALLY. 115TH!!!!!!!!

4th and Long
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Tyson Jackson is sniffing the top 10 in 3-4 DEs. Sorry haters. He's been better than Dorsey and it's not close.

Yet, we never hear his name called. :hmmm:

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Chiefs have the 7th rated line in the league for pass blocking efficiency.

Bowser
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Chiefs have the 7th rated line in the league for pass blocking efficiency.

lulz

A lot of good that's done us. I guess your line will look pretty good when the pass plays consist of two step dump offs to the backs.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
lulz

A lot of good that's done us. I guess your line will look pretty good when the pass plays consist of two step dump offs to the backs.

Actually if you watch the game from last week, Cassel was taking deeper drops and looking down the field before deciding he couldn't throw it down the field at all and dumping it.

The line has not been bad at all this season. They have had a couple of ugh moments but no one can really blame them for Cassel's level of suck.

Shag
09-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Draft a rush backer, and turn him into a cover backer. Nice work, Romeo.

Okie_Apparition
09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I wonder if rushing the QB is a carrot they dangled in front of Houston to get him to work on other parts of his game. He might be the type to let any success go to his head

aturnis
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I wonder if rushing the QB is a carrot they dangled in front of Houston to get him to work on other parts of his game. He might be the type to let any success go to his head

I think this is it also. They are going to force him to work on his pass coverage skills. If he were able to get some sacks and get a big head, he might not think he needs to work on his coverage skills and pull a Baldwin on us.

Marcellus
09-28-2011, 08:52 PM
T-Jack is out best DE this year and the team sucks. How ironic. Gotta love the Chiefs.

-King-
09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
So this Dexter McCluster chap...

whoman69
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Actually if you watch the game from last week, Cassel was taking deeper drops and looking down the field before deciding he couldn't throw it down the field at all and dumping it.

The line has not been bad at all this season. They have had a couple of ugh moments but no one can really blame them for Cassel's level of suck.

That's just it. He can't go through his progressions. If he can't hit his primary receiver (meaning the receiver is more than 10 yards down the field) he dumps down. 80% of his passes are under 6 yards, so you better hit 70%. 3 receptions accounted for 50% of his mediocre yardage against the Chargers.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 09:32 PM
That's just it. He can't go through his progressions. If he can't hit his primary receiver (meaning the receiver is more than 10 yards down the field) he dumps down. 80% of his passes are under 6 yards, so you better hit 70%. 3 receptions accounted for 50% of his mediocre yardage against the Chargers.

Well, I disagree.

I've seen him look at one receiver on one side of the field, turn his head and come back to another receiver all the way on the other side. Actually wide receivers, not check downs.

I think his problems are:

1. As others have said, he doesn't have a good understanding of what "NFL open is."

2. He lacks confidence and the ability to make tight throws down the field.

3. And sometimes he just fucking sucks and misses a wide open guy.

suzzer99
09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm happier about TJax hopefully developing into a real player than anything else. Get TJax and Dorsey a stud NT and I guarantee they'll start lighting it up.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Cassel moved up to 26th this week and had a positive grade. I asked the PFF guys to clarify:

A few points...

> We have never been high on Cassel (Not even in NE) so it comes as no real surprise he's struggling.
> We don't normalise QB ratings as we do with other grades. We mean to, we just never get round to it. Knock off about 1.75 / game (I'm guessing this would be the factor we'd use) and you'll have a red number
> We've got him ranked 26th out of 33 QBs. That's awful particularly when you consider two of the guys below him are Gabbert and McCown. Cutler consistently throws a huge amount of poor balls (we can't rank talent!) and Romo was abysmal in week 1 which skews his grade.

Hope this helps,
Neil

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
SUCK MY ASS

Kansas City Chiefs: Newly-annointed halfback Dexter McCluster has 3.3 yards after contact per carry; which is better than Thomas Jones’ total yards per carry (2.6).

The Franchise
09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
How much of the run blocking ratings are due to the actual RB statistics?

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
How much of the run blocking ratings are due to the actual RB statistics?

Not much at all, they grade linemen individually.

Buckweath
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Draft a top QB prospect and this line is fine as it is.

It's really funny how it seems people have stop criticizing Barry Richardson since the season started.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Richardson has only faced one really good edge rusher (Avril) and he pretty much ate him alive.

I would not count on Richardson being all that great down the road.

CupidStunt
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Tyson Jackson is sniffing the top 10 in 3-4 DEs.

Jackson is one of the worst DL in the entire NFL. Has been since he stepped on the field. Sniffing is an interesting word, though, since he never sniffs the QB in pass rush but often has a good, long sniff of the turf after he's piledrived into it like a little bitch consistently.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Jackson is one of the worst DL in the entire NFL. Has been since he stepped on the field. Sniffing is an interesting word, though, since he never sniffs the QB in pass rush but often has a good, long sniff of the turf after he's piledrived into it like a little bitch consistently.

He's playing well against the run.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Interesting that our D is ranked high.

http://i.imgur.com/tiCYW.png

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/ProFootbalFocus/status/119490793940590592

in terms of teams no team has missed more tackles than the Chiefs. No team has missed as few as the Browns

</post>
09-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Interesting that our D is ranked high.

http://i.imgur.com/tiCYW.png

The defense isn't keeping us in games /CP

</post>
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/ProFootbalFocus/status/119490793940590592

in terms of teams no team has missed more tackles than the Chiefs. No team has missed as few as the Browns

I wonder what percentage of our missed tackles are from a certain two players.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I wonder what percentage of our missed tackles are from a certain two players.

25 missed tackles total

12 from the three safeties

Kendrick Lewis leads team with 5.

Buckweath
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Our D has been average so far. People just don't understand how much our pathetic offense has made the D looked bad. And sometimes you have to give credit to your opponent, as for example Fred Jackson in our first game was exceptional IMO, regardless of our defense.

I've seen many fans complain we just can't stop the run but the Chiefs are Tie-13th in rush defense YPC... average.

I'm far from concerned about our defense, especially if Berry was still playing.

</post>
09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
25 missed tackles total

12 from the three safeties

Kendrick Lewis leads team with 5.

Yikes. I guess you have to be close in coverage to miss a tackle. Lewis misses Berry like the desert misses the rain.

</post>
09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Our D has been average so far. People just don't understand how much our pathetic offense has made the D looked bad. And sometimes you have to give credit to your opponent, as for example Fred Jackson in our first game was exceptional IMO, regardless of our defense.

I've seen many fans complain we just can't stop the run but the Chiefs are Tie-13th in rush defense YPC... average.

I'm far from concerned about our defense, especially if Berry was still playing.

Rush D is probably helped by that fact that QBs can pass for a million yards on us.

whoman69
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, I disagree.

I've seen him look at one receiver on one side of the field, turn his head and come back to another receiver all the way on the other side. Actually wide receivers, not check downs.

I think his problems are:

1. As others have said, he doesn't have a good understanding of what "NFL open is."

2. He lacks confidence and the ability to make tight throws down the field.

3. And sometimes he just ****ing sucks and misses a wide open guy.

If that's the case his second receiver is already past his range. This guy has to go in full windup to throw more than 15 yards. He still has to check down so the result is the same.

whoman69
09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Check Down's highest rating on the ESPN rating system has been a 33. Average is 50. If he could have put together the 2nd half for a full game he might have actually done something. You can't go a full half with only 38 yards of offense and say you had a good game. That was his best game of the year by far which is like comparing grisly murders.