PDA

View Full Version : Football Time to tear down Walter Payton, I guess...

Brock
09-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Book: Walter Payton abused painkillers, discussed suicide
By Chris Chase

A new biography of Walter Payton details the Hall of Fame running back's frequent drug use, extramarital affairs and the crippling loneliness that plagued him after his retirement from the NFL.

Sports Illustrated's Jeff Pearlman spent more than two years working on "Sweetness: The Enigmatic Life of Walter Payton" and uncovered startling details about the Chicago Bears running back who was so highly regarded that the NFL named its Man of the Year Award after him.

The book is set for release next week. Excerpts appear in this week's Sports Illustrated. In one section, Pearlman describes Payton's drug use:

The burden of loneliness and his marriage weren't Payton's only problems. As a player he had numbed his maladies with pills and liquids, usually supplied by the Bears. Payton popped Darvon robotically during his playing days—says Holmes, "I'd see him walk out of the locker room with jars of painkillers, and he'd eat them like they were a snack"—and also lathered his body with dimethyl sulfoxide, a topical analgesic commonly used to treat horses. Now that he was retired, the self-medicating only intensified. Payton habitually ingested a cocktail of Tylenol and Vicodin. In a particularly embarrassing episode, in 1988, Payton visited a handful of dental offices, complaining of severe tooth pain. He received several prescriptions for morphine and hit up a handful of drugstores to have them filled. When one of the pharmacists noticed the activity, he contacted the police, who arrived at Payton's house and discussed the situation.

Pearlman also details Payton's use of the painkiller Darvon during his playing days and how he equipped an RV with nitrous oxide to use during training camp.

Once Payton's career ended, he battled depression and often discussed suicide with close friends. Two failing relationships contributed to his malaise. Pearlman describes how Payton's estranged wife and girlfriend both attended his Hall of Fame induction ceremony -- "they were like ships passing in the night," Payton's assistant said -- and made the triumphant weekend one of the worst of Payton's life.

Like Andre Agassi's recent autobiography, in which he detailed his previously unknown drug use, "Sweetness" will be most remembered for the salacious tales revealed within. They'll dominate discussion over the next few days and obscure the brighter stories included in the book: How Payton delighted a cancer-ridden youngster on a flight or those moments when he'd play catch with kids before signing their football. The drug use and affairs will make some forget about how graceful Payton was on the field and how strong he was when facing terminal illness, and how he grew up in segregated Mississippi and calmed racial tensions there with his on-field heroics.

As "Sweetness" shows, our heroes are always more complex than we know.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Book-Walter-Payton-abused-painkillers-discusse?urn=nfl-wp8200

WV
09-28-2011, 07:54 PM
All in the name of $$...sad. Let him rest in peace and be remembered as Sweetness.

Rain Man
09-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't even want to read it. Even at 48, a guy has to have heroes.

GloryDayz
09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

This...............

Thig Lyfe
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
All in the name of $$...sad. Let him rest in peace and be remembered as Sweetness.

It's pretty cynical to assume that any book that tries to paint an honest portrait of a public figure is just done for money.

I don't think the things mentioned in the article really tarnish his legacy. They simply make him more human. Complex, flawed characters are always more interesting than simple, pure ones.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
If it is the truth what is the problem?

Marcellus
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Didn't he die of liver failure? You would have to think the painkillers played a part.

Spott
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
He was still the best RB I've ever seen play the game and he never acted like a jackass when he got to the end zone. Such a shame that he had to die so young.

HemiEd
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
They had a spot about this on the news tonight, and it is not going to be well accepted up here. The man and his memory mean a lot to many people in Chicagoland.

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't care what the book says. I will always remember him as a gentleman, and the best RB I ever watched play the game. He might be flawed, but that only makes him human. RIP to Sweetness.

Marcellus
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
They had a spot about this on the news tonight, and it is not going to be well accepted up here. The man and his memory mean a lot to many people in Chicagoland.

It wont matter. People tend to believe what they want to.

KcMizzou
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Everybody has their personal demons... leave the man alone.

Brock
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
If it is the truth what is the problem?

Uh, because it isn't any of your business?

HemiEd
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
It wont matter. People tend to believe what they want to.

True, but it was shocking to see on the news. It would be about like having them run something like this about DT on the KC news.

Some stories are just better left untold.

Marcellus
09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
True, but it was shocking to see on the news. It would be about like having them run something like this about DT on the KC news.

I agree. I also wonder why it took this long. Maybe it took a while to get people (sources) to open up about it.

I still doubt it will taint his legacy. People are more forgiving of the deceased than they are the living.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Uh, because it isn't any of your business?

Since when are public figures off limits?

Spott
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd much rather read a book about how much of an arrogant prick Emmitt Smith is.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM

There have been stories about DT in the newspapers or on TV about his multiple multiple multiple bastard children.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Next time on where are they now:

Priest Holmes and his love of gay brothels

Brock
09-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Since when are public figures off limits?

It isn't anybody's business. He has a family, but I'm sure you don't give a flying fuck about that.

zonachief
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Next time on where are they now:

Priest Holmes and his love of gay brothels

You don't say that!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
It isn't anybody's business. He has a family, but I'm sure you don't give a flying fuck about that.

As long as it is the truth I really don't have a problem with it.

So if a book came out about Michael Jackson and in the book it was disclosed he molested kids they shouldn't print it because of his family and because he is dead?

HemiEd
09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
There have been stories about DT in the newspapers or on TV about his multiple multiple multiple bastard children.
Yeah, but I don't like hearing it, and don't really want to know about it.
Thus my point.
It is his families business, and I would prefer to keep the good on field memories of him.

Consistent1
09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
The average NFL players overall drug usage would blow your mind. But fuck, they make money.

Consistent1
09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Even with the GH, test suspension and all that....they still have pain.

Iowanian
09-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I guess I believe it.

I was having a beer with a former nfl player an hour ago who was talking about taking 1000 vicodin on 1 bender after an injury, and preferred to wash them down with vodka...and asked if I had any.

niblet
09-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Everybody has their personal demons... leave the man alone.

Let's be fair, not everyone's personal demons are equivalent. Payton is no Bundy, but at the same time I'd like to think most of us don't abuse drugs and have affairs.

The man evidently wasn't a saint, and I don't exactly look up to athletes in creating my moral code anyway. Keep his legacy on the field.

Brock
09-28-2011, 09:46 PM
As long as it is the truth I really don't have a problem with it.

So if a book came out about Michael Jackson and in the book it was disclosed he molested kids they shouldn't print it because of his family and because he is dead?

That's stupid. There were many, many stories about Jackson when he was still alive, it wouldn't change after he died.

Nobody anywhere ever had anything bad to say about Walter Payton, but now that he's dead it's perfectly kosher to drag out a bunch of dirty laundry. It's bullshit.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but I don't like hearing it, and don't really want to know about it.
Thus my point.
It is his families business, and I would prefer to keep the good on field memories of him.

Where do you draw the line then? Is it just dead HOF players personal lives we can't talk about?

Backwards Masking
09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
he was hardly the first guy to have a drinking / drug and fidelity problems. they were a part of his story, and are what they are, i don't think it trashes his legacy or drags his name through the mud to write about them. it shows he had flaws, and, screwed up as it may be, will help sell books. certainly does nothing to tarnish his legacy on the field.

RIP Walt

WV
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
It's pretty cynical to assume that any book that tries to paint an honest portrait of a public figure is just done for money.

I don't think the things mentioned in the article really tarnish his legacy. They simply make him more human. Complex, flawed characters are always more interesting than simple, pure ones.

Cynical my ass....I'm sure this guy is doing this so we all understand Walter a little better. Fuck him it's for $$$$$$$$.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
That's stupid. There were many, many stories about Jackson when he was still alive, it wouldn't change after he died.

Nobody anywhere ever had anything bad to say about Walter Payton, but now that he's dead it's perfectly kosher to drag out a bunch of dirty laundry. It's bullshit.

So he is just supposed to write good things and ignore the bad?

The guy is a legend but flawed.

he was hardly the first guy to have a drinking / drug and fidelity problems. they were a part of his story, and are what they are, i don't think it trashes his legacy or drags his name through the mud to write about them. it shows he had flaws, and, screwed up as it may be, will help sell books. certainly does nothing to tarnish his legacy on the field.

RIP Walt

I totally agree

big nasty kcnut
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't believe it i think this a bullshit book. It's only to get a cash cow and that it.

Thig Lyfe
09-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Cynical my ass....I'm sure this guy is doing this so we all understand Walter a little better. Fuck him it's for $$$$$$$$.

Yeah, this post is the definition of cynical.

If this were some hastily-written schlock put out by a tabloid hack, you might have a point. But Jeff Pearlman is an experienced journalist and sportswriter, and he did two years worth of research in putting together the book. Including Walter Payton's warts is him being an actual journalist -- you know, somebody who's supposed to report the story as it happened, not as everybody wishes it happened -- rather than trying to tarnish his legacy in some kind of ruthless cash grab.

Flawed people are infinitely more interesting than mythical supermen. The same people who hate knowing that a hero wasn't perfect also probably think that the 1950s and '60s were actually idyllic.

FAX
09-29-2011, 12:22 AM
It's funny how some people view certain things as idyllic, Mr. SportRacer.

Kind of like a lady who spends her life savings on a home ... only to learn too late that the house is haunted by ghostly imbeciles from the '50s.

Which reminds me of a very deserving thread I made that's right on the front page as we speak.

FAX

jAZ
09-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Good point. We shouldn't be talking about this. Mods? Can we get his thread deleted and a short-ban whomever posted it? Thanks!

Jeez, some people.

listopencil
09-29-2011, 02:12 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h54PoTwo17I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
I guess I believe it.

I was having a beer with a former nfl player an hour ago who was talking about taking 1000 vicodin on 1 bender after an injury, and preferred to wash them down with vodka...and asked if I had any.

You shouldn't say anything, he has a family you know...

Seriously, who cares? believe what you want and dont read the book if you don't want to know.

Amnorix
09-29-2011, 06:13 AM

A man who spent much of his life being a highly conditioned athlete died at age 45. The truth behind that isn't likely to be very pretty, no matter how beloved he was.

Nor does it tarnish his football playing days, IMHO.

Amnorix
09-29-2011, 06:16 AM

The dirty laundry seems to be the kind of thing that wouldn't make people say bad things about him. People don't criticize the rich and famous for drinking or using drugs. It's being an ass, usually in public (after they drink or use drugs, if applicable) that gets them criticized (Lohan, etc.)

KCUnited
09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm sure Walter would be more mortified by holding on to that jheri curl for as long as he did, than people knowing about his drug use.

Doesn't diminish a thing too me.

TEX
09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't believe it i think this a bullshit book. It's only to get a cash cow and that it.

Probably a lot of truth to it. Think of how he died...

TEX
09-29-2011, 08:58 AM

RIP Walt

This.

lcarus
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Who cares if he abused painkillers? I'm sure he at least used them for a very good reason at first. They're addicting. He had easy access to them and a good reason to take them, so it's perfectly understandable how he needed them after football for a long time.

OnTheWarpath15
09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Not really shocking news, I highly doubt he was the only player back then (hell, or even now) that abuses pain medication. It seems pretty easy to get hooked on that shit - not that I'm condoning his actions. Jason Peter's (Nebraska) book is a good read regarding football and drug use.

Dude's still "Sweetness" to me. Best RB I've ever seen play.

gblowfish
09-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Payton was one of the greatest running backs to ever play. Since he died at 45, you have to wonder if the drug abuse was a major factor in his health issues later in life. If the chickens came home to roost, so to speak. Tragic that he had to pass away at such a young age.

Pants
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Not really shocking news, I highly doubt he was the only player back then (hell, or even now) that abuses pain medication. It seems pretty easy to get hooked on that shit - not that I'm condoning his actions. Jason Peter's (Nebraska) book is a good read regarding football and drug use.

Dude's still "Sweetness" to me. Best RB I've ever seen play.

This. It's not like we found out he raped 15 year old girls from to time. The man didn't want to be in constant pain and developed a dependence. Big fucking deal. It can happen to anyone, and it's not really damning.

Pants
09-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Payton was one of the greatest running backs to ever play. Since he died at 45, you have to wonder if the drug abuse was a major factor in his health issues later in life. If the chickens came home to roost, so to speak. Tragic that he had to pass away at such a young age.

Yeah, your liver can only take so much Tylenol. :(

Demonpenz
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Anything I read isn't going to change my mind about him. He was a warrier on the field, and seemed nice off it, he did what he did to get by and be the best. Fuck the Pricks that didn't let him get his superbowl Touchdown. 1985 bears was a bad ass team full of badasses. He would plant anybody that blitzed and never ran out of bounds.

Demonpenz
09-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Reminds me of Micky Mantle, people are going to try to tear him down, but there was too many good memories of him running around in the outfield hitting 600 foot homeruns and playing a below average Punisher in tampa bay for people to hate him,

4th and Long
09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Yep.

http://www.magiclanterngraphics.com/see-hear-speak-no-evil-ani.gif

lcarus
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
It said Payton went to several pharmacies with one prescription and the police had a talk with him? You or I would be in jail probably right?

orange
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
It said Payton went to several pharmacies with one prescription and the police had a talk with him? You or I would be in jail probably right?

The rich are different...

http://static.flickr.com/24/43440870_5ef401357d_o.gif

KCrockaholic
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Kinda sad. But I will always love Walter Payton. I don't care. Nothing could change my opinion on that.

Jaric
09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh no, not a football player taking pain medication...

Radar Chief
09-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Oh no, not a football player taking pain medication...

No shit, and I’m sure he’s the only professional athlete to ever be emotionally troubled.

PunkinDrublic
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
It wouldn't be such a big deal if people didn't mytholigize certain athletes so much.

Pennywise
09-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I bet the training camp bus was full of laughs.

HemiEd
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Good point. We shouldn't be talking about this. Mods? Can we get his thread deleted and a short-ban whomever posted it? Thanks!

Jeez, some people.

I guess you totally missed the point, as to why he started the thread. Or, I did, but one of us sure did.

Iowanian
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I always think it would be nice to see someone dig into the background, talk to ex girlfriends/wives and friends for dirt on the authors of these types of stories.

I don't consider myself a bad human being whatsoever, but if someone dug into enough of my dirt, it could be twisted into some unflattering reading. I'm sure every one of us is like that and we've all got skeletons of some form.

Garcia Bronco
09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't see the problem. Damn right he took painkillers. Did you see what he did for a living? He beat the hell out of linebackers and DBs.

FAX
09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
It's true, Mr. Iowanian. Everybody has a secret past.

For example, I was once arrested during a band rehearsal for disturbing the peace and I have pissed off many a girl. Then there was the time when I dumped oatmeal on a cat.

FAX

HemiEd
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I always think it would be nice to see someone dig into the background, talk to ex girlfriends/wives and friends for dirt on the authors of these types of stories.

I don't consider myself a bad human being whatsoever, but if someone dug into enough of my dirt, it could be twisted into some unflattering reading. I'm sure every one of us is like that and we've all got skeletons of some form.

I sure don't want them checking mine, I tore off a mattress label.

Maybe the funds from this kind of book should go to a charity or descendents of the deceased?

Frazod
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Never got to see him play in person, but it was neat enough just to see him standing on the sidelines as a spectator during Bears games that I did attend. I know several people who met him and a couple who knew him, and I've never heard anybody say an unkind word about him. Won't be buying this, hope the author falls out of the AIDS tree while choking on antifreeze.

Garcia Bronco
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
"And for those who are going to say what they want to say, may God be with you also."

-Walter Payton

Rain Man
03-02-2012, 04:01 PM
9 of the top 13 threads on the first page are about signing Peyton Manning. This thread is one of the other four, but at the same time it also involves Payton.