PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN: Andrew Luck is worth the trouble

OnTheWarpath15
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread-AndrewLuck/andrew-luck-slam-dunk-top-pick-nfl-draft

The high school coach, precisely and patiently, recounted his favorite plays from the then-prodigy. The college coach, similarly practiced, did the same for his current phenom.

But when Jim Harbaugh was asked to name the Andrew Luck play that made him gasp out loud, he paused. Harbaugh, the head coach who moved from Stanford to the San Francisco 49ers in January, did not reference any of Luck's victory vectors, his spinning arcs of triumph.

"There's tons," Harbaugh said last week. "But I'll give you the play he made against Southern Cal last year, one of the most physical plays you'll see. You see everything the kid's got: the speed, the strength, the courage, the will."

Luck, of course, is a quarterback -- perhaps the most heralded signal-caller since another Cardinal, a guy named Elway -- but this was a defensive play:

USC safety Shareece Wright had just scooped up a Stanford fumble on his 45-yard line and appeared headed for a touchdown. Luck -- all 6-foot-4, 238 pounds of him -- burst into the frame and, head down, delivered a brutal helmet blow to Wright's chin. Wright, a mere 185 pounds, stopped so violently you feared for his internal organs, and the commentators pretty much lost their minds. Touchdown saved, the Cardinal would win 37-35 on a game-ending field goal.

It feels like fiction from a Matt Christopher book, or a storyline from the Gil Thorpe cartoon strip. Seriously, the guy's name is … Luck. Except this is real; nearly 3 million, perhaps even you, have viewed the clip on YouTube.

"He did the same thing a week earlier against Oregon," Harbaugh said. "Outruns the blockers, goes 55 yards, and makes the tackle on the 3-yard line. He is as good a competitor as you will ever see."

Usually when something seems too good to be true, it isn't. Luck, by all accounts and virtually every measure, is. He has the physical tools, the mental makeup, all the intangibles.

How special is Andrew Luck? When was the last time we knew in September who the No. 1 NFL draft choice was going to be the following April? Even the late, great Peyton Manning wasn't a sure pick over Ryan Leaf in the 1998 draft.

"He would have been the No. 1 pick this year, too," said one NFL team's director of college scouting. "That's two years he's been the slam dunk. I can't think of anyone else in recent years you could say that about."

Because NFL rules discourage teams from talking about underclassmen -- Luck is technically a junior -- the lead scout, like others in the league approached for this story, asked to remain anonymous. He said Luck was rated an 8.0 in the team's grading system, out of a possible 8.0. As such, he is pegged as a perennial Pro Bowl player and a likely Super Bowl quarterback.

John Elway, whose Cardinal records are under siege by Luck, is the Denver Broncos' executive vice president of football operations. He respectfully declined to discuss Luck, but before he took the job in January, he said this about the 2011 draft on his radio show: "I think Andrew Luck is the best football player in the draft, without a doubt."

David Shaw was an NFL assistant for nine years, but as Stanford's newly elevated head coach, he can say anything he wants about Luck.

"Being in the NFL, you try to poke holes in a kid's game," Shaw said. "You have a checklist of negatives: Does he turn the ball over? Does he throw with accuracy? How about his decision-making? Well, there are no negatives on Andrew's list.

"Is being the face of the franchise too big for him? The face of all college football? No. He's ready to handle whatever comes his way."

Fanatical following

Only a catastrophic injury will prevent Luck from becoming the top overall pick in the NFL draft. Or perhaps a nuclear-grade mutation that confers super powers (think Spider-Man) on USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil or North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples, thought to be among the draft's next best prospects.

This rare sense of certainty has created an awkward situation among fans around the league. Would the prospect of a franchise quarterback under center for a dozen years be incentive enough to do the unthinkable -- root against their favorite team? Could the potential long-term gain move them to embrace defeat in the short term?

Yes. Based on fan forums there are already tens of thousands leaning that way and, as the regular season winds down, that number could reach the millions. It's already happening in Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Miami and, of all places, Indianapolis. Fans of the 0-3 Miami Dolphins have been out front on this one; @SuckForLuck is a Twitter handle "imploring the Miami Dolphins or the terrible NFL team of your choice to tank for the #1 overall pick."

That's how special Luck is.

The early inside track will go to the winner of Sunday's tilt between the hapless Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs. The loser will be a horrific (but oddly heady) 0-4. Daniel Banyas, a rabid Vikings fan for 38 of his 43 years, is the administrator of the PurplePride.org's Facebook page. He will drive to Kansas City on Sunday and root hard for Minnesota to win.

"That's three games in," Banyas said. "But if they find themselves, maybe, 1-7, I might say, 'Geez, we can win the Luck derby.' I would accept that position one step ahead of our rivals getting that. I'd rather they be 3-13 and competitive in those games than 9-7 and drafting in those mediocre spots."

Brandon Spano is experiencing the Luck phenomenon in two cities. He grew up in Kansas City and has been a Chiefs fan for 24 of his 28 years. He was previously a columnist for the ChiefsCrowd.com website and now has a radio show on KCKK, 93.7 FM in Denver.

"With Jamaal Charles and Eric Berry out for the season [with torn ACLs], it kind of helps sway people toward the idea that it might be worth it to get Andrew Luck," Spano said. "I actually see a lot more of it in Denver, where [Kyle] Orton is extremely uninspiring. Chiefs fans have always drunk the Kool-Aid; they won't jump off the ship until they're mathematically eliminated.

"But if they finish in the bottom three, you know they'll be pulling for [general manager Scott] Pioli to make a blockbuster deal."

Quiz time: Who was the last non-franchise quarterback to win the Super Bowl? You have to go back nine years to Brad Johnson, who took the Buccaneers to the XXXVII title. Or Trent Dilfer and the Baltimore Ravens, who were NFL champions two years earlier. Otherwise, since then it has been: Tom Brady, Brady, Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Six of them were the game's MVP.

Mike Shockman, an administrator and forum moderator for PurplePride.org, a 10,000-fan site, fondly remembers Joe Kapp, Fran Tarkenton and Tommy Kramer. He'd like to see Donovan McNabb benched and first-round draft choice Christian Ponder thrown into the fray.

"There's a lot of talk like that on the site," Shockman said. "They say it's getting ridiculous and figure the season's lost anyway. Andrew Luck seems to have all the potential to be a superstar. It might almost be worth going through a season of crap for the chance to get him."

A different kind of cat

Luck threw for 7,139 yards and ran for an additional 2,085 at Stratford High School in Houston. But after scouts from the big schools watched him practice, they asked head coach Eliot Allen about his arm strength.

"The thing that made Andrew so great was that he adapted to every receiver," Allen said. "He knew who he could really drill it into and, at the same time, take a little off to guys whose hands weren't as good. He'd throw a catchable ball to everyone -- that's how advanced he was."

Luck is the son of Oliver Luck, who played quarterback for the Houston Oilers for five years. Andrew was the co-valedictorian at Stratford and recruited by an NFL quarterback of 14 seasons, Jim Harbaugh, who arrived at Stanford in 2007, inheriting a 1-11 program. After sitting out the 2008 season, Luck had modest success as a redshirt freshman. Last year he was spectacular, completing more than 70 percent of his passes and throwing 32 touchdowns, breaking the school record (27) set by Steve Stenstrom and Elway.

He's 23-5 as a starter for No. 6-ranked Stanford and has the Cardinal 3-0 heading into Saturday's game against UCLA. Luck, the 2010 Heisman Trophy runner-up, is the leading candidate for this year's honor.

Shaw, who was Stanford's offensive coordinator under Harbaugh, learned right away that Luck was a different kind of cat.

"The first game he started as a redshirt freshman was at Washington State," Shaw remembered. "He dropped back and no one was open. He took off scrambling up the sideline and, with the safety coming, I figured he'd go out of bounds. But he didn't. He ran the guy over and got four more yards.

"He's so competitive, he never even thought about stepping out. He was our second-leading rusher that year. He's an even better athlete than people give him credit for."

In athleticism and arm strength, the deep out is the toughest ball for a quarterback. Elway made a nice living throwing it in Denver.

"Andrew Luck throws the deep out," said the anonymous director of college scouting. "He makes every throw you could want. And he's great on touch passes and screens, where you want some finesse. Throw in the toughness, the poise and smarts, and you have the total package.

"Most guys, you hear all these ludicrous superlatives and they turn out to be media creations, the Brady Quinns of the world. Not this guy."

In his report on Luck written last year, the scout wrote, "Forget everything else. Here are three plays that say who he is."

He listed a scramble against California when a defensive back was obliterated trying to tackle him, a goal-line run against UCLA when a defender was similarly de-cleated -- and the time he wrecked USC's Wright. Not one was a passing play.

"You can stop the tape right there," the scout said. "That's all you need to see."

The conspiracy theories

Stanford's Shaw feels sorry for the struggling NFL teams who are confronted almost daily with questions about Luck.

"Two games into a 16-game season, and everybody goes crazy," he said last week. "You're the head coach of the Chiefs and the running back gets hurt. You can still go on a run, maybe 8-2, and make the playoffs. But everybody wants to talk about Andrew Luck."

More than a dozen websites regularly track the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. As the season progresses, scrutiny will be sharpened for those teams still in the race. When does "rebuilding" cross over into the gray area of tanking?

Conspiracy theorists want to know:

• Why did the Seattle Seahawks seem to downgrade at the quarterback position, installing Tarvaris Jackson as starter behind a young, inexperienced offensive line that includes two rookies and a second-year player?

• If the Indianapolis Colts truly were concerned about Manning's health -- and their ability to win games in 2011 -- why did they wait until 18 days before the opener to pull 38-year-old Kerry Collins out of retirement?

• Are the Vikings really surprised that 34-year-old Donovan McNabb -- who has thrown 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions in his past 16 games -- is 0-3?

• How was it that the Cincinnati Bengals didn't get something for disgruntled Carson Palmer during the offseason? Why did the Jaguars hand the keys to Luke McCown, who has the league's worst passer rating at 30.6? What on earth is happening in Kansas City?

Harbaugh himself was on the radar before the season began. Folks wondered if he would somehow scheme to land his former protégé. But Alex Smith is holding his own, and the 49ers lead the anemic NFC West with a 2-1 record -- the same number of victories as the rest of the division.

"Are you asking me if people are going to play for the No. 1 position?" Harbaugh said, speaking deliberately. "It's a heinous accusation to accuse somebody of that, to say a team wouldn't try to win. I feel comfortable speaking for all coaches on this.

"They're going to play to win … at all times."

Said Stanford's Shaw, "Everybody knows it. That's why it becomes sexy. Here comes the NFL franchise quarterback. Now it's just a lot of talk. What's going to get interesting is when we get to Week 13, Week 17.

"If you're one of those last four teams, the questions will be coming. Are you throwing games to get [draft] position? Are you doing everything you can to win? Those are awful questions, but they're going to be asked."

You can toss out the 1-2 Carolina Panthers and the 0-3 St. Louis Rams, because they already have the past two No. 1 overall picks, quarterbacks Cam Newton and Sam Bradford. After this week's Vikings-Chiefs game, there is a Week 5 matchup that could feature two 0-4 teams: Chiefs at Colts.

Imagine if the Colts, in the absence of the injured Manning, contrived to secure the services of back-to-back franchise quarterbacks. And then we have Chad Henne and the Dolphins at 0-3. Would the No. 1 overall pick be enough to convince former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher to make his new home in South Florida?

As good as Andrew Luck is, his coaches think he can get better.

"Yes," Harbaugh said, "Andrew would tell you the same thing. You're either continuing to get better, or you're getting worse. He's the guy who understands that. He has the humility and the work ethic to make it happen."

Said Allen, his high school coach in Houston: "Actually, I think he'll get much better. He was never surrounded by truly talented players here. Stanford increased the level around him, but he's never been in a situation with big-time receivers to throw to. I'm biased, but I think he'll excel at the next level."

The only mystery that remains: Which NFL team will Luck take to the Super Bowl? That question should make a number of dodgy games in December a lot more interesting.

Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Dayze
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm sure we can find similar talent in rounds 3-6.~

keg in kc
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Who needs Luck when you have Stanzi.

The Bad Guy
09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm sure we can find similar talent in rounds 3-6.~

The sad thing is, there's some stupid mother fuckers who actually believe this.

Sofa King
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
The sad thing is, there's some stupid mother ****ers who actually believe this.

And will fight it to the death. Then post a dumb ass thread on it 3 years later about how they were "right" on some guy that no one gives a shit about.

Bearcat
09-29-2011, 12:44 PM
USC safety Shareece Wright had just scooped up a Stanford fumble on his 45-yard line and appeared headed for a touchdown. Luck -- all 6-foot-4, 238 pounds of him -- burst into the frame and, head down, delivered a brutal helmet blow to Wright's chin. Wright, a mere 185 pounds, stopped so violently you feared for his internal organs, and the commentators pretty much lost their minds. Touchdown saved, the Cardinal would win 37-35 on a game-ending field goal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

doomy3
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
The sad thing is, there's some stupid mother ****ers who actually believe this.

I haven't seen anyone say anything remotely close to this.

The Franchise
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Luck is a fucking LB playing QB.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 12:48 PM
That's a Tim Tebow type play. I'm more impressed by the throw I just gif'd up.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/27.gif

KCUnited
Gaither just jumped offsides, Succop wide right, Jones for no gain, Cassel sacked on a hail mary, GTL can't wrap him up, Haley burns last timeout with 10 minutes left in the 4th.../my dreams

Bewbies
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek:

That's a good way to lose a QB right there.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 12:53 PM
"He did the same thing a week earlier against Oregon," Harbaugh said. "Outruns the blockers, goes 55 yards, and makes the tackle on the 3-yard line. He is as good a competitor as you will ever see."

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/11.gif

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Luck is going to do that to Cassel.

Rooster
09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Fuck the rest of those franchises. The Chiefs have earned Luck. :D

Just keep playing Mark Castle and the whole thing will work out.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Ryan Leaf was going to do that in the pros too.

RealSNR
09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I've been thinking about the tie-breakers for #1 overall. Really, this Vikings game doesn't matter. If we can lose to:

1. Indy
2. Miami
3. 5 out of our 6 division matchups

Then we're all set to go.

I'm just posting this now for those who might need some hope to cling to if we happen to beat the Vikings this Sunday

the Talking Can
09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Chiefs fans have always drunk the Kool-Aid

what he wanted to say was "pawnsmoker drinks cassel's milkshake...."

Pants
09-29-2011, 01:00 PM

I'll take that risk.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
He listed a scramble against California when a defensive back was obliterated trying to tackle him, a goal-line run against UCLA when a defender was similarly de-cleated -- and the time he wrecked USC's Wright. Not one was a passing play.

"You can stop the tape right there," the scout said. "That's all you need to see."

Why are scouts such fucking dumbasses?

Fish
JIMP....

I just hope he's still available after we take our offensive tackle with the first pick...

Sofa King

And so was John Elway. oh wait.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I'll take that risk.

Absolutely. Its just that sometimes I get to thinking of how many times the term "can't miss" has missed.

Pants
JIMP....

I just hope he's still available after we take our offensive tackle with the first pick...

LMAO

Chiefnj2
There is going to be way too much pressure on this kid when he hits the NFL.

When is the last time there was a universal consensus on the #1 draft pick? Eli Manning? Mandarich? Carson Palmer?

Chiefs Pantalones
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Why are scouts such ****ing dumbasses?

I don't think that was a real scout, it was Gunther.

Brock
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
There is going to be way too much pressure on this kid when he hits the NFL.

When is the last time there was a universal consensus on the #1 draft pick? Eli Manning? Mandarich? Carson Palmer?

No more pressure than there was on Cam Newton.

Chiefnj2
09-29-2011, 01:07 PM

I don't think Newton was viewed as a lock.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Cam Newton is too dumb to feel pressure.

Rooster
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=Chiefnj2;7952776]There is going to be way too much pressure on this kid when he hits the NFL.[QUOTE]

That's why he should be in KC. Where he will be loved and given one virgin a day.:)

Buckweath
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Fans should expect Luck to have the same kind of rookie season as Sam Bradford had.

And I must say I find this Luck hype crazy, at this point it's almost as if if he only become a top 10 QB in the NFL, he'll be regarded as a bust.

Brock
09-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, if Luck is drafted somewhere off the radar like KC, the pressure is not nearly as much of a factor.

Brock
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Cam Newton is too dumb to feel pressure.

In any case, he's handled it a lot better than your Weeping Jesus.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 01:22 PM

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/gallery/1278236305/gallery_37445_35019_3989174014c3353aabc164.gif

vailpass
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Tebow?

Brock
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Tebow?

Bust?

MagicHef
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
I was unaware that Peyton Manning had died.

allen_kcCard
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
If we get Luck, we will need to put some yellow jerseys on some of the defenders.

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
When Andrew Luck arrives in the league, Goodell will add back the bump and run, revert to the pre-1970s passing rules, and give defenses a 12th player, just to keep Luck's team under 100 points a game.

Mr. Laz
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
it would be worth trading the whole draft for him just to get the assholes around here to shut the fuck up about it.

suzzer99
09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Doesn't Flowers injury seem a little odd to anyone? Just running along then drops, first it's his knee, then ankle. How do you not know if you hurt your knee or have a high ankle sprain?

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Andrew Luck's touchdowns will be worth eight points - 6 for the score and 2 for the artistic beauty.

Mr. Laz
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Doesn't Flowers injury seem a little odd to anyone? Just running along then drops, first it's his knee, then ankle. How do you not know if you hurt your knee or have a high ankle sprain?

Flowers has been playing crappy all year, heard something about a hamstring or leg injury earlier. We don't even know if the current injury is the same as the last injury.

:shrug:

The Bad Guy
09-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Then you're not paying attention.

There's a handful of people on this board who think you don't have to draft a QB in round 1 because you can get someone in the later rounds.

They will point to Brees and Brady as the prime examples.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Then you're not paying attention.

There's a handful of people on this board who think you don't have to draft a QB in round 1 because you can get someone in the later rounds.

They will point to Brees and Brady as the prime examples.

Here is the thing. I am not going to kill myself like so many here will if the Chiefs dont have the first pick and cant draft luck..

There are a couple more QB's in this years draft that would fill that franchise QB role just nicely... So if we didnt get Luck at 1 and took Foles at 4, I wouldnt hang myself over it..

But actually I would take the latter scenerio just to clean up the trash on this message board...

Frosty
09-29-2011, 02:19 PM

When it first happened, I thought he was just making fun of the fake injuries that the Giants pulled and all of the talk about it. It looked like someone just shot him or something.

RealSNR
09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
But actually I would take the latter scenerio just to clean up the trash on this message board...Dude, if Kansas City wins a few garbage games and misses out on #1 overall (ESPECIALLY if a team like Indy or Denver gets it ahead of them) then the reoccurring Mark Sanchez debate that occasionally still pokes its head out will look tame in comparison.

Like, if the Mark Sanchez debacle is a genocidal maniac who kills 20 people, then the Andrew Luck fall-out will be the fucking Holocaust

"Clean up the trash on this message board." Yeah, great way to do that.

arrowheadnation
When it first happened, I thought he was just making fun of the fake injuries that the Giants pulled and all of the talk about it. It looked like someone just shot him or something.

"Personally, I think he's just trying to get out of the lineup."-Harry Doyle

Buckweath
Flowers has been playing crappy all year, heard something about a hamstring or leg injury earlier. We don't even know if the current injury is the same as the last injury.

:shrug:

Flowers has not been playing crappy all year (not even 3 full games by the way lol) you fool. Here's the best description of his play so far by PFF:

1) Brandon Flowers vs. Chargers Receivers

Has Brandon Flowers had a forgettable two games, or have teams figured out how to attack him? Last year, Flowers was in the running for best cornerback in the league and routinely shut down opposing wideouts despite lacking the ideal size (NFL.com lists him at 5’9) to cover bigger receivers. Lining up across from Calvin Johnson last week proved to be too much though, as Flowers yielded two touchdowns to “Megatron” despite playing solid coverage overall. He also gave up a touchdown to Tony Scheffler. On a whole, Flowers is playing as well as he did last year, and hasn’t lost any of the physicality that made him great, but with that being said, the touchdowns are a concern no matter how well he performs the rest of the time. His job won’t get any easier this week, as he will have to cover either Malcolm Floyd or Vincent Jackson depending on where they line up. Both of these receivers have over six inches on Flowers, and Jackson is coming off a great game against the Patriots with a +3.4 receiving grade. When the Chargers get down into the red zone, it will interesting to see if Philip Rivers tries to toss one up for Floyd or Jackson and see if Flowers can make a play on it or not.

----

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 02:37 PM
When Andrew Luck is drafted, the NFL will retire the Number 1.

Mr. Laz
09-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Flowers has not been playing crappy all year (not even 3 full games by the way lol) you fool. Here's the best description of his play so far by PFF:

1) Brandon Flowers vs. Chargers Receivers
chargers game was his best of the year including preseason

maybe 'crappy' was too strong of a word .... maybe i should of said 'average'

All year he's looked 'sluggish' or slower than normal. Like maybe a leg injury was slowing him down.

don't care what PFF says .... fool.

The Franchise
09-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Dude, if Kansas City wins a few garbage games and misses out on #1 overall (ESPECIALLY if a team like Indy or Denver gets it ahead of them) then the reoccurring Mark Sanchez debate that occasionally still pokes its head out will look tame in comparison.

Like, if the Mark Sanchez debacle is a genocidal maniac who kills 20 people, then the Andrew Luck fall-out will be the fucking Holocaust

It's definitely going to be interesting around here if we miss out on Luck.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Be funny if he pulled an Elway and refused to play for the shitty team (not just KC) that drafted him.

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
The team that gets Andrew Luck will trade away all of its running backs and add two more offensive tackles to the lineup to protect him.

Katie
09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
If it's meant to be, we'll get him...

09-29-2011, 02:50 PM

You should look for the Uncensored KC Chiefs group on Facebook then. It is loaded with idiots that think that way.

wazu
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
When Andrew Luck is drafted, the NFL will retire the Number 1.

Awesome. Please keep these coming.

HemiEd
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
When Andrew Luck arrives in the league, Goodell will add back the bump and run, revert to the pre-1970s passing rules, and give defenses a 12th player, just to keep Luck's team under 100 points a game.

Goodell will allow every opposing team to have Rich Scanlon play defense for them.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Dude, if Kansas City wins a few garbage games and misses out on #1 overall (ESPECIALLY if a team like Indy or Denver gets it ahead of them) then the reoccurring Mark Sanchez debate that occasionally still pokes its head out will look tame in comparison.

Like, if the Mark Sanchez debacle is a genocidal maniac who kills 20 people, then the Andrew Luck fall-out will be the ****ing Holocaust

Let me make this simple for you homeboy... I want Luck just like everyone else. I am sick of Cassel just like everyone else.

But this is the NFL and the ball bounces funny... We may get a lucky bounce in a game late in the season that costs us Luck. What if Flowers picks off someone in the last game of the season. As a professional NFL player, you going to expect him to take a knee when its a clear shot to a game winning TD?

That game winning TD might take us from the #1 over all to #3...

That is how quickly we could go from Luck to Foles. In less than 10 seconds.

and just like that, Holocaust for CP members.. Jonesville all over again.

Fritz88
09-29-2011, 03:30 PM
We've suffered enough. It's time luck lucks us into Luck.

Sfeihc
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I love the Chiefs but I'm more than willing to help take the stink off the Lions 0-16 mark if it means getting Luck.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyone impressed with Luck's top target, Chris Owusu? He is showing up in a lot of the Stanford games I've been watching.

RealSNR
09-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Let me make this simple for you homeboy... I want Luck just like everyone else. I am sick of Cassel just like everyone else.

But this is the NFL and the ball bounces funny... We may get a lucky bounce in a game late in the season that costs us Luck. What if Flowers picks off someone in the last game of the season. As a professional NFL player, you going to expect him to take a knee when its a clear shot to a game winning TD?

That game winning TD might take us from the #1 over all to #3...

That is how quickly we could go from Luck to Foles. In less than 10 seconds.

and just like that, Holocaust for CP members.. Jonesville all over again.The "entertainment" you talk about on this message board is going to be funny for about 2 seconds. If the Chiefs get Foles or another QB, I'll applaud them for at least trying, but if the fucking Colts get Luck and he extends that shitty gay-ass franchise's success for another career, I'll shoot up a neighborhood of teenagers. I know we're all on the Cassel-must-go bandwagon, but in order to prevent another Cassel-like abortion, there's only one course of action they can and should take.

And if they don't draft a QB at all this year, that entertainment you speak of will likely translate into another decade and a half of misery and torture.

Maybe fans are numb. If your team goes this long without a playoff win, what's another decade or two? What's another franchise QB out the window?

whoman69
09-29-2011, 04:16 PM
I think that would be the worst scenario out there, the Colts getting Luck. Just how many time can they get the #1 slot? Elway, George, Manning and perhaps now Luck? Most of the other teams in contention have at least drafted a QB recently. Vikings, Vikes, Jags, and Rams. We haven't drafted a QB high since Mike Elkins and I don't think he even got on the field for more than a cup of coffee.

Pants
09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
I think that would be the worst scenario out there, the Colts getting Luck. Just how many time can they get the #1 slot? Elway, George, Manning and perhaps now Luck? Most of the other teams in contention have at least drafted a QB recently. Vikings, Vikes, Jags, and Rams. We haven't drafted a QB high since Mike Elkins and I don't think he even got on the field for more than a cup of coffee.

No. The worst case scenario by far would be the Broncos getting Luck.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Upon quick glance I thought the thread title was "Andrew Luck is worthless trouble." Was about to get the popcorn out.

Oh Snap
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
With the colts, I could see them draft him if they had the pick. However, would they want to invest that much money in quaterbacks when they have issues elsewhere? I mean manning just signed on for big bucks this past offseason. Signing Luck would mean they have some srs money invested on their qbs. And Manning could go on for another 3-5 years (if he pulls a farve, even longer)

I could also see piolis stupid ass giving up the first pick if it meant conditional picks in this years and next years draft. If we are lucky enough to be in a position to draft luck, we better damn well pull the trigger!

whoman69
09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
With the colts, I could see them draft him if they had the pick. However, would they want to invest that much money in quaterbacks when they have issues elsewhere? I mean manning just signed on for big bucks this past offseason. Signing Luck would mean they have some srs money invested on their qbs. And Manning could go on for another 3-5 years (if he pulls a farve, even longer)

I could also see piolis stupid ass giving up the first pick if it meant conditional picks in this years and next years draft. If we are lucky enough to be in a position to draft luck, we better damn well pull the trigger!

Never happen. The # pick is much more valuable than it used to be because of the lower price to sign them. He'd have some offers. It would have to be a Hershel Walker type deal to even get started.

Ugly Duck
09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
ESPN Bill Wiiliamson: (2:28 PM) If the Chiefs lose the next two games (against winless Minnesota and Indy) watch out. It could be their very unlucky season could end up Luck (y).

You guys have taken the wind out of your rival fan's sails. We just cannot enjoy Chief suckage if you root for them to lose. During the offseason we were all like "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on the Chief's schedule!" And now the ChiefsFans are the ones saying "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on our schedule!" Recently, even the pundits have joined in. Its just not fair...

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Anyone impressed with Luck's top target, Chris Owusu? He is showing up in a lot of the Stanford games I've been watching.

Is he the Dwayne Bowe to Luck's Jamarcus Russell?

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Andrew Luck will be cheap in terms of cap room because he won't need a center. He'll just snap the ball to himself.

RealSNR
09-29-2011, 06:00 PM
ESPN Bill Wiiliamson: (2:28 PM) If the Chiefs lose the next two games (against winless Minnesota and Indy) watch out. It could be their very unlucky season could end up Luck (y).

You guys have taken the wind out of your rival fan's sails. We just cannot enjoy Chief suckage if you root for them to lose. During the offseason we were all like "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on the Chief's schedule!" And now the ChiefsFans are the ones saying "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on our schedule!" Recently, even the pundits have joined in. Its just not fair...Hey we tried telling you guys that all the AFC West teams have basically the exact same schedules but NOOOOOO you wouldn't listen to us

RealSNR
09-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Trivia time! Did you guys know that hippos are the 2nd deadliest animals on earth?

The first is Andrew Luck.

suzzer99
09-29-2011, 06:03 PM

You guys have taken the wind out of your rival fan's sails. We just cannot enjoy Chief suckage if you root for them to lose. During the offseason we were all like "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on the Chief's schedule!" And now the ChiefsFans are the ones saying "HA HA! Lookit that really tough stretch on our schedule!" Recently, even the pundits have joined in. Its just not fair...

You can always root for us to win the next two games. I know I'll be biting my nails.

Rain Man
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Q: Why is Andrew Luck considered a pocket passer?

A: Because Andrew Luck runs from no man.

Ugly Duck
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
You can always root for us to win the next two games.

You know I will. Its bizzaro world....

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19739/806406-bizzaroworld_large.jpg

Direckshun
09-29-2011, 06:38 PM
That's a Tim Tebow type play. I'm more impressed by the throw I just gif'd up.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/27.gif

Holy...

chiefscafan
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
We aren't beating the vikes guys Peterson wants the ball more we can't stop the run. I'm not being a pessimist I'm being a realist. Denver at home is the only game I think we will definitely win. As crazy as it sounds I think Indy beats us at indy not sure how but I have a feeling they will.

Halfcan
09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
If we don't get Luck we can always borrow Bubba from the Royals.

Chief Pote
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Andrew Luck will be cheap in terms of cap room because he won't need a center. He'll just snap the ball to himself.

That includes "shotgun" formation. :D

Archie F. Swin
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like Petro is on board with the Suck for Luck gameplan.

Mr. Laz
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Is Andrew Luck related to Chuck Norris?

Sucky
09-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Holy Shit! that is fuckin SICK

Rain Man
09-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Is Andrew Luck related to Chuck Norris?

He is what Chuck Norris would have been if he'd gone to Stanford.

Coogs
09-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Holy Shit! that is fuckin SICK

This play is pretty good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4_w-puInqY

Dave Lane
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Here is the thing. I am not going to kill myself like so many here will if the Chiefs dont have the first pick and cant draft luck..

There are a couple more QB's in this years draft that would fill that franchise QB role just nicely... So if we didnt get Luck at 1 and took Foles at 4, I wouldnt hang myself over it..

But actually I would take the latter scenerio just to clean up the trash on this message board...

I might shoot myself in the face if we have the 1st overall pick and DON'T pick Luck. Shortly after shooting Pioli.