PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car Guys - Advice Requested

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
So I bought an 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited last night from Carmax. I'm no car guy (will become apparent as this OP progresses) but it seemed to run strong and had no issues during the test drive.

As I'm driving the thing home, it beeps at me and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Check engine light comes on along with brake, ABS, ESP BAS and seat belt. Speedo drops to zero and after a little while I notice the odometer isn't running, either. This continues until I get home.

I had to run some errands so I (perhaps foolishly) took it back out. This time, it would sporadically do what I mentioned above and then some of the lights would go off and the traction control light would come on. At that point, the speedo and odometer would start working again.

This morning on my way to work, nothing but the check engine light. Then, on my way to take it back to Carmax to get it looked at, no lights whatsoever. At no point was the mechanical performance of the car affected at all.

They ran a quick diagnostic at Carmax and said it was giving them codes related to the computer, so they would have to send it to a local dealer to work on. The service tech mentioned in passing that he thought one of the codes was related to the PCM. They set me up with a loaner and sent me on my way. All the work is covered under their 30-day warranty, so that's not really a concern of mine.

So if you made it this far, here's my conundrum. I can return the vehicle for a full refund for the next 5 days. (They also said they would "stop the clock" while the Jeep is being worked on). I'm obviously considering doing just that, but I really don't know how big of a problem this is. Is this an odd isolated incident, or does it point to bigger underlying electrical issues? I don't know if I should be happy that I'm getting an expensive part replaced during my 30 day window or if I should cut ties and run.

HemiEd
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
I would return it if it was me. The PCM is probably the problem, but that is horrible way to start out with a late model car.

Dayze
depending on your situation, and how badly you need a car/can get a car etc, I would consider a different vehicle. I'd be worried once that particular issue is 'fixed', what else will go wrong with it (electronically) after your 30 days is up etc.
who knows; it's only 3 years old maybe the previous owner was experiencing a bunch of BS with a relatively 'new' car and decided to unload it/tired of dealing with it.

if I were paying for a 3 year old vehicle, there shouldn't be ANYTHING going wrong with it for quite a while.

Just my opinion.

rageeumr
I forgot to mention that my first thought was that someone had been messing with the dash cluster. I had a coworker who had a switch installed in his Chevy 1500 and could turn off the dash so the odometer wouldn't roll.

After looking online, though, it looks like this particular issue is pretty common in Wranglers, so that eased my fraud concerns.

Sofa King
09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Return that bitch! There's no way this isn't the start of some bad shit. Don't take a chance.

Chief Pote
09-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Well you're not telling the entire story. How many miles and how much did you pay for the car? I'd guess that you didn't get a good deal at Carmax(regardless of the condition) so the details should be included if you're looking for advice.

Phobia
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
If you return it to carmax the next owner will drive it 200k miles problem-free. But if you keep it, you'll have 100 problems. It's a very cool ride.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Well you're not telling the entire story. How many miles and how much did you pay for the car? I'd guess that you didn't get a good deal at Carmax(regardless of the condition) so the details should be included if you're looking for advice.

39K miles. I paid $20,998, which is probably toward the lower end of what you would expect the dealer price to be on that vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a "good deal".

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
depending on your situation, and how badly you need a car/can get a car etc, I would consider a different vehicle. I'd be worried once that particular issue is 'fixed', what else will go wrong with it (electronically) after your 30 days is up etc.
who knows; it's only 3 years old maybe the previous owner was experiencing a bunch of BS with a relatively 'new' car and decided to unload it/tired of dealing with it.

if I were paying for a 3 year old vehicle, there shouldn't be ANYTHING going wrong with it for quite a while.

Just my opinion.

Ya, this is along my line of thinking. I'm just frustrated because I've been looking for months for "the right vehicle" and if I return this one, I'll more than likely be forced to buy "the best available vehicle"

Chief Pote
39K miles. I paid $20,998, which is probably toward the lower end of what you would expect the dealer price to be on that vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a "good deal".

Ask them to extend the warranty for a period you're comfortable with if you decide to keep the car. That's the least they should do in this case. If they don't, I think I'd return it. It just might be your warning that it's a lemon.

ModSocks
I'd return it and get something else. Things like that don't go wrong in 10 year old cars, so they sure as hell shouldn't be going wrong in a 3 year old car. Sounds like trouble to me.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Ask them to extend the warranty for a period you're comfortable with if you decide to keep the car. That's the least they should do in this case. If they don't, I think I'd return it. It just might be your warning that it's a lemon.

Very solid suggestion. I just wonder if they'll stick to their "we don't negotiate" guns with regard to extending the warranty. I'm definitely going to try, though.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I've owned Jeep. Your troubles are just beginning. Get out now if you can.
Talk to some experienced Jeep guys here (many of them are Jeep mechanics) and let them know exactly what you said in this post:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/

OR

http://www.wranglerforum.com/

MIAdragon
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Electrical problems are a nightmare, return it asap.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM

This.

Mwuahahahahaaa...run. Run away and don't look back. Take that fucker back, go pick it up from the shop now, and take it back. Return it, now.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM

I had an 02 2-door Wrangler for a few years that I think I had in the shop one time (clutch throwout bearing). I only got rid of it because a 2 door car with no cargo just didn't work for me anymore.

Seems like I may be in the minority with my experience, however.

Radar Chief
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Buying a used Jeep Wrangler is like buying a used sports/muscle car. The previous owner could’ve been beating the shit out of it and unless you know where to look you’d probably never know until too late.
Personally I’d return it, just not a good way to start with a new to you vehicle. But if you decide to keep it I’d grab a creeper and spend a lot of time underneath the thing with a flash light looking very closely at what kind of shape the under carriage, suspension and driveline is in.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:32 AM
This.

Mwuahahahahaaa...run. Run away and don't look back. Take that ****er back, go pick it up from the shop now, and take it back. Return it, now.

Yes, he needs to take that YJ back right now.
PCM (brain) code can mean a hundred things and you may never trace it to the source. Money pit. Wait 'til it starts dying on you in the middle of the road or trail. Get out.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Buying a used Jeep Wrangler is like buying a used sports/muscle car. The previous owner could’ve been beating the shit out of it and unless you know where to look you’d probably never know until too late.
Personally I’d return it, just not a good way to start with a new to you vehicle. But if you decide to keep it I’d grab a creeper and spend a lot of time underneath the thing with a flash light looking very closely at what kind of shape the under carriage, suspension and driveline is in.

I didn't spend a lot of time, but I did get down and look for obvious damage to the undercarriage. I wouldn't think this issue would be related to off-roading, but I suppose if one of the wheel sensors was involved it could....

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I had an 02 2-door Wrangler for a few years that I think I had in the shop one time (clutch throwout bearing). I only got rid of it because a 2 door car with no cargo just didn't work for me anymore.

Go to that first jeep forum link I posted and talk to some YJ owners about what you have going on. The guys in that club (AZ Jeep Club) are pure enthusiasts that do their own work and know their stuff.

Your YJ took a shit on you the FIRST day you had it. Which is good because you can climb out from under it. If you like it that much get a different one and try your luck again.

Radar Chief
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Not necessarily. ’98 to ’06 Wranglers were good ones, that 4.0L I-6 is a good, reliable motor. There was a bit of a Jeeper mutiny when they decided to make over the Wrangler and give it the 3.8L V-6 minivan engine.

Amnorix
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
So if you made it this far, here's my conundrum. I can return the vehicle for a full refund for the next 5 days.

No, you don't have a "conundrum", you have what I would refer to as an "obvious solution."

Gonzo
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM

This...

If they won't do it, return it.

Radar Chief
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I didn't spend a lot of time, but I did get down and look for obvious damage to the undercarriage. I wouldn't think this issue would be related to off-roading, but I suppose if one of the wheel sensors was involved it could....

Wheel sensor? Probably not, the way you described it I was thinking bad ground or loose connector but a bad computer sounds reasonable also.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, he needs to take that YJ back right now.
PCM (brain) code can mean a hundred things and you may never trace it to the source. Money pit. Wait 'til it starts dying on you in the middle of the road or trail. Get out.

Dude, you are describing my past to a T. I had a 93 Cherokee, while the IL 6 is a good engine, my PCM was shit. It would leave me on the side of the road once a week, we tried so many things to fix it, had it taken to so many different people. Even the dealership couldn't figure it out, until finally something worked. Due to passage of time, and so many things tried, I can't tell you what it finally was that did it.

I will say, AFTER the POS quit leaving me on the side of the road, I got 4 good years out of it, and I loved it. I wasn't a huge off road guy or anything, but off road, snow, nothing could stop that vehicle. I loved it. Still miss it to this day, but if I could have taken it back when we were having the issues I would have in a heartbeat.

Bugeater
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Kill it with fire.

Radar Chief
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
No, you don't have a "conundrum", you have what I would refer to as an "obvious solution."

I think his conundrum is he wants to keep it. I can’t blame him, I like the Wrangler 4 doors.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Dude, you are describing my past to a T. I had a 93 Cherokee, while the IL 6 is a good engine, my PCM was shit. It would leave me on the side of the road once a week, we tried so many things to fix it, had it taken to so many different people. Even the dealership couldn't figure it out, until finally something worked. Due to passage of time, and so many things tried, I can't tell you what it finally was that did it.

I will say, AFTER the POS quit leaving me on the side of the road, I got 4 good years out of it, and I loved it. I wasn't a huge off road guy or anything, but off road, snow, nothing could stop that vehicle. I loved it. Still miss it to this day, but if I could have taken it back when we were having the issues I would have in a heartbeat.

That is so common, glad you finally got yours straightened out. People try everything from sawing off an inch on each of the bolts that hold the PCM in to having it re-flashed to who laid the rail. Sometimes some things work for a while, sometimes forever, sometimes not at all.
But like you said, why would you ever consider messing with it if you have the option to RETURN IT AT NO COST? There are literally thousands of others he could choose from if he really wants a YJ.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I think his conundrum is he wants to keep it. I can’t blame him, I like the Wrangler 4 doors.

There are thousands and thousands of 08 YJs he could buy, why keep that one? Hell out here in Phoenix there is an endless supply all in perfect no-rust shape.

Frosty
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
There is probably a reason that the previous owner dumped it after three years. I would return it and keep looking.

Frosty
09-30-2011, 10:53 AM
There are thousands and thousands of 08 YJs he could buy, why keep that one? Hell out here in Phoenix there is an endless supply all in perfect no-rust shape.

How is the supply of the Unlimiteds (4-doors)? I was looking recently and they are kind of hard to find used around here.

Brock
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
This is not a big deal, mechanically speaking. But I definitely understand why you'd think about giving it back to them.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
How is the supply of the Unlimiteds (4-doors)? I was looking recently and they are kind of hard to find used around here.

You see them all over the place. Check out Autotrader.com for Phoenix, AZ or cars.com to see some of them.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
This is not a big deal, mechanically speaking. But I definitely understand why you'd think about giving it back to them.

You have no idea, mechanically speaking.

SAUTO
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
You have no idea, mechanically speaking.

yeah he does...

i agree with brock here.

Frosty
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I would return it if it was me. The PCM is probably the problem, but that is horrible way to start out with a late model car.

BTW, if HemiEd says take it back - take it back. He is hardcore Mopar.

Amnorix
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM

What, this is the last one on planet Earth? Return this POS and find another.

Frosty
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
You see them all over the place. Check out Autotrader.com for Phoenix, AZ or cars.com to see some of them.

Thanks. I decided to go a different route because of the shitty mileage. I was just wondering if the OP jumped on this one because the 4-doors were hard to find there.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks. I decided to go a different route because of the shitty mileage. I was just wondering if the OP jumped on this one because the 4-doors were hard to find there.

Hah! Yes if mpg is a concern there are definetely better routes to take. I'm a jeep fan and know there are only two kinds of jeeps: those that need work and those that soon will.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Exactly. Like I said earlier, I have honestly been looking for 3 or 4 months to find the mix of exactly what I want. Under 50K miles, manual tranny, power windows and locks, 4x4 in dark green, black or silver for $20K - $22K. So if I return it, I'm basically guaranteed to have to settle for something I don't like.

But would I rather slightly dislike something about my car or have it in the shop once a week? Pretty easy decision in that regard.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
yeah he does...

i agree with brock here.

I'll listen to the Jeep heads out here, no offense but they see a hell of a lot more of it than you do.
How can you or Brock say it isn't a big deal when the mechanic's there don't yet know what's wrong with it? Why would anyone want to keep a lemon when they can give it back?

Frosty
09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Hah! Yes if mpg is a concern there are definetely better routes to take. I'm a jeep fan and know there are only two kinds of jeeps: those that need work and those that soon will.

I had a 2000 Cherokee for three years (bought it barely used in 2001). It was a great rig and I never had any problems with it (other than one of the heated seats stopped working). I only traded it because I wanted a pickup because we were remodeling our house at the time. In hindsight, I should have just gotten a trailer.

I will say that moving up to a Silverado 4x4 didn't change my mileage much.

SAUTO
09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I'll listen to the Jeep heads out here, no offense but they see a hell of a lot more of it than you do.
How can you or Brock say it isn't a big deal when the mechanic's there don't yet know what's wrong with it? Why would anyone want to keep a lemon when they can give it back?

if it is just a pcm problem (VERY COMMON, then they flash a new program and it cures the problem) how can you say its a lemon?

and BTW how do you know what i see on a daily basis?

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I appreciate all the replies, guys. The consensus (both here and on some of the Jeep forums I've read) is that these electrical and computer issues seem to be hard to diagnose and you never really know if it was fixed or not until you have another problem.

I've already emailed my salesman seeing if they will offer me an extended warranty at no charge. If they say no, my mind is made up. If they say yes, I'm probably 50/50.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
if it is just a pcm problem (VERY COMMON, then they flash a new program and it cures the problem) how can you say its a lemon?

and BTW how do you know what i see on a daily basis?

The fact you think flashing the PCM is an automatic cure for all Jeep PCM codes says something.
I don't know what you see on a daily basis, didn't mean to offend you. Whatever you see in the middle of Missouri isn't near the volume of Jeeps in Phoenix though.

Brock
09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Whether it's a Jeep or not makes no difference. In all likelihood this is a program problem, or at worst, a single component malfunction. I run into this all the time with all makes. I'm not saying he should keep it, he has every right to expect his new car to be functionally perfect, I am saying it isn't a big deal, because it isn't.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Whether it's a Jeep or not makes no difference. In all likelihood this is a program problem, or at worst, a single component malfunction. I run into this all the time with all makes. I'm not saying he should keep it, he has every right to expect his new car to be functionally perfect, I am saying it isn't a big deal, because it isn't.

You are saying PCM code in a jeep is no big deal, is that right big hitter?
LMAO

Brock
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
You are saying PCM code in a jeep is no big deal, is that right big hitter?
LMAO

You seem to be pretty far out of your depth here. If you don't believe what I'm saying, you should listen to the professional who's telling you the same thing. I don't really give a shit either way. I never figured you for one of these "oh no electricity SCARY" guys.

Demonpenz
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I got this from JeepMeepMeep.com

My Dashboard is giving me a bridge and it is rainbow colored. What does that mean?

JeepThangyouwouldntunderstand: Brah. Your shit is dooshified *high Five*

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I got this from JeepMeepMeep.com

My Dashboard is giving me a bridge and it is rainbow colored. What does that mean?

JeepThangyouwouldntunderstand: Brah. Your shit is dooshified *high Five*

Thanks for the help bruh.

SAUTO
09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
The fact you think flashing the PCM is an automatic cure for all Jeep PCM codes says something.
I don't know what you see on a daily basis, didn't mean to offend you. Whatever you see in the middle of Missouri isn't near the volume of Jeeps in Phoenix though.

i dont think its an automatic cure all. never said that either.

they will replace the pcm and the new one will be flashed with an updated program and the issues are normally taken care of.

common issue. see it quite often, but maybe not as much as those off road trail guys...

Extra Point
09-30-2011, 12:39 PM

This. 6 months to a year, even if you have to pay a few hundred.

Bwana
09-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Judging from your first post, it's likely is a pcm issue. If you are in love with the thing, let them replace the thing and see how it works. That's the logical thing to do, but, the way my thick head works, once a machine totally screws me, it's hard for me to turst it agaim. I don't care if it's a vehicle, an atv, a boat, a chain saw, whatever. If it were me, I would kick it to the curb.

Setsuna
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM

You can get a brand new or close to it Toyota Tacoma for that same amount or less. Much more reliable. I love mine. You can't even hear it, when it's on.

Dayze
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I had a Wrangler for a few years and loved it; didn't have any problems etc.

however, I did once own a vehicle that had electrical problems that seemed to never get fixed; an '85 Olds 442.

I finally sold it to a kid who was a total gear head etc; he came back by about a year later to show me the upgrades to the engine etc. I asked how he fixed the electrical issue and he said 'by ripping everything out and replacing everything"
lol
that was enough to spook me from electrical issues; granted, it's mostly because of my inexperience with the stuff etc.

Dayze
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
You can get a brand new or close to it Toyota Tacoma for that same amount or less. Much more reliable. I love mine. You can't even hear it, when it's on.

yeah, I saw 2010 Tacoma's with like 15k miles going for like $21.9k in sunny Olathe.

rageeumr
09-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Is that regular cab? I don't see any 4x4 crew cabs for less than 27. Extended cabs look to be in the 24k+ range.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM

1. Not anywhere near the same vehicle
2. A japanese pick up truck?

stevieray
09-30-2011, 03:29 PM
it's the computer on the drivers side inner fender.

you can buy a new one with a lifetime warranty for about 265 bones.

Radar Chief
09-30-2011, 03:34 PM
1. Not anywhere near the same vehicle2. A japanese pick up truck?

:thumb:

Setsuna
09-30-2011, 05:12 PM

True but hey I have never had problems with it and still drives the same when it was bought, in 2005. But yeah the extended cab and v6 is pretty expensive. I hope you make the right decision either way dude.

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
...So if you made it this far, here's my conundrum. I can return the vehicle for a full refund for the next 5 days. (They also said they would "stop the clock" while the Jeep is being worked on). I'm obviously considering doing just that, but I really don't know how big of a problem this is. Is this an odd isolated incident, or does it point to bigger underlying electrical issues? I don't know if I should be happy that I'm getting an expensive part replaced during my 30 day window or if I should cut ties and run.

Don't believe anything they say. Get it in writing or don't bitch later when they pull out the contract and show you the only terms that matter.

HonestChieffan
09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Talk to some experienced Jeep guys here (many of them are Jeep mechanics) and let them know exactly what you said in this post:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/

OR

http://www.wranglerforum.com/

Second that. You have been given a great gift. Get out. Eject Eject....Jeep means doom till you sell it

Brock
09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Second that. You have been given a great gift. Get out. Eject Eject....Jeep means doom till you sell it

You're an idiot. Jeeps are fine vehicles.

HonestChieffan
09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
You're an idiot. Jeeps are fine vehicles.

Im an experienced idiot who had one of the pieces of shit. Fine is not a word that can be used with Jeep. Unless you see owning one as a fine upon your life.

Brock
09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Im an experienced idiot who had one of the pieces of shit. Fine is not a word that can be used with Jeep. Unless you see owning one as a fine upon your life.

What do you drive?

HonestChieffan
09-30-2011, 10:49 PM
What do you drive?

Would that have any bearing (no pun intended) on my terribly negative experience with a Jeep that I owned and suffered under for 4 years?

Would a complete list of cars and trucks I have owned have any relation to the POS Jeep I had?

BossChief
09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
I am a Nissan guy. Had a few Maximas and never had a problem.

I bought a new Frontier crew cab 4x4 and tow package at the tent sale on june 30th for 6500 off sticker.

Brought the truck down to 22.5. (after 120,000 bumper to bumper warranty, tax title license and everything was still wayy under sticker)

They have some damn good sales going on right now, Id check em out and at least test drive one.

No way would I keep that Jeep...somebody got rid of it for a reason.

Demonpenz
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
I am a Nissan guy. Had a few Maximas and never had a problem.

I bought a new Frontier crew cab 4x4 and tow package at the tent sale on june 30th for 6500 off sticker.

Brought the truck down to 22.5. (after 120,000 bumper to bumper warranty, tax title license and everything was still wayy under sticker)

They have some damn good sales going on right now, Id check em out and at least test drive one.

No way would I keep that Jeep...somebody got rid of it for a reason.

probably because they lost their job

WV
10-01-2011, 12:51 AM

Oh geesh....yeah because the "American" Chrysler company puts out such a great product.

cardken
10-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I had bought a car from CarMax, and had a few issues during the 30 day and extended warranty period. But they always took care of it with no hassle at all, and this was on the West Coast. Give them the chance to make it right, it is a used vehicle purchased cheap at auction. Not to be expected with absolutely no issues.
But if they bulk or do a bad job of diagnosing and fixing, move on you got 30 days to decide.

KCUnited
10-01-2011, 08:39 AM
I've got a 2001 Cherokee Sport. Mine has done something similar since the day I bought it (used in 2007). The airbag/check engine light will come on and all the gauges will drop to zero. No joke, a simple pound on the dash and the airbag/check engine lights go off and all the gauges return to normal.

Sometimes it will do it several days in a row, sometimes it will go 6 months or longer without doing it. It's never left me stranded and I've never had it in the shop. Outside a '94 Volvo I drove to 220k, its been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Brock
10-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Would that have any bearing (no pun intended) on my terribly negative experience with a Jeep that I owned and suffered under for 4 years?

Would a complete list of cars and trucks I have owned have any relation to the POS Jeep I had?

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't answer that.

Radar Chief
10-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh geesh....yeah because the "American" Chrysler company puts out such a great product.

Jeep is pretty much propping up that company right now, its one of their few profitable products.

ClevelandBronco
10-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I figured you wouldn't answer that.

Okay, let's say he drives a 1967 Renault. Now what?

Brock
10-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Okay, let's say he drives a 1967 Renault. Now what?

A hypothetical argument isn't of any interest.

Frosty
10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I've got a 2001 Cherokee Sport. Mine has done something similar since the day I bought it (used in 2007). The airbag/check engine light will come on and all the gauges will drop to zero. No joke, a simple pound on the dash and the airbag/check engine lights go off and all the gauges return to normal.

Sometimes it will do it several days in a row, sometimes it will go 6 months or longer without doing it. It's never left me stranded and I've never had it in the shop. Outside a '94 Volvo I drove to 220k, its been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Sounds like a loose ground.

ClevelandBronco
10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
A hypothetical argument isn't of any interest.

And the car he drives isn't of any relevance.

burt
10-01-2011, 12:18 PM

This. And I loved my Wragler....just not the MPG. NEVER had issues with it.

SAUTO
10-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Ok you owned one. I've had three and other than normal maintainance have had no issues, not one...
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
your first wrong move was buying a chrysler product.

By profession im a car salesman, and anecdotaly, the amount of problems that chryslers have as compared to any other brand is astronomical.

They are just junk. why do you think a jeeps second owner gets no powertrain warranty? rofl

stevieray
10-01-2011, 01:13 PM
My Cherokee pulled a stuck forty foot excursion limo up and and around a 90 degree corner in a foot of snow.

Jeeps kick ass, haters.

burt
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
your first wrong move was buying a chrysler product.

By profession im a car salesman, and anecdotaly, the amount of problems that chryslers have as compared to any other brand is astronomical.

They are just junk. why do you think a jeeps second owner gets no powertrain warranty? rofl

Your and idiot. I bet you've sold cars a long time, right?

Easy 6
10-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Take it back & start fresh, thats a terrible red flag on your first night with it.

Why take a chance?

vailpass
10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
So what did you end up doing rageemur?

Phobia
10-03-2011, 01:02 PM

He's still pushing his jeep around. That's why he hasn't posted.

tooge
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I had a '89 Wrangler. Beat it to shit, and it never left me stranded, never had any issues of any kind that I didn't cause actually. I now drive a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 and the damned thing has had a shit ton of little bs problems. Radio dial quit changing the volumed, check engine light constantly needs to be reset (now I just leave it on), one of the seatbelt latches in the back doesn't latch. I think what matters most is what grade of pot the guys on the line were smoking the week a vehicle was made. My Wrangler and my old F150 are the two best vehicles I've ever owned and some people think they both suck.

vailpass
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
He's still pushing his jeep around. That's why he hasn't posted.

:D

rageeumr
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

I did the official return this evening. I tell you what, CarMax isn't the cheapest, but I'd recommend them to anyone. They took the Jeep back no questions asked. They also offered to transfer any vehicle in their inventory to KC for free. I have another Jeep on its way from Florida and I'm also looking at a local Xterra.

In addition, they have given me a loaner car to drive until the Jeep comes in.

burt
10-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I did the official return this evening. I tell you what, CarMax isn't the cheapest, but I'd recommend them to anyone. They took the Jeep back no questions asked. They also offered to transfer any vehicle in their inventory to KC for free. I have another Jeep on its way from Florida and I'm also looking at a local Xterra.

In addition, they have given me a loaner car to drive until the Jeep comes in.

Nice to now that some people understand that sometimes you EARN business.

Archie F. Swin
10-03-2011, 10:13 PM
1. There's no such thing as a '08 YJ. 1996 was the last year for YJ. What he bought was a JK.

2. While Wranglers are good, reliable rigs, I think you paid too much for it ( I know, I know, you took it back)

3. The PCM problems common to the Wrangler world are simply the Jeep's rejection of technology. The vehicle that mobilized allied forces in Europe to victory has no use for a stupid computer or a ****ing button that magically puts it 4L. What the ufck do you need a speedometer for? Seriously has anyone ever gotten a speeding ticket in a Wrangler? The ****ers explode at 74 miles per hour. I've seen port-a-pottys that are more aerodynamic.

4. Just Empty Every Pocket

5. I've got a '00 Wrangler that I drive daily. Its pretty legit. The odometer reads 112,000 miles but, I'm sure it has a 122,000 miles on it thanks to a dodgy PCM.