PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ricky Stanzi's future (OR: How drafting Andrew Luck is like poetry)

RealSNR
09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
It's difficult to gauge the feelings of Chiefs fans towards Stanzi these days. Some say he is Tom Brady. Some say he is John the Baptist. Some say that the very notion that the Chiefs have a young QB on the roster with any kind of potential is a threat to achieving Andrew Luck.

I think he's a mixture of all three, personally. More importantly, it's CRUCIAL that we develop him as a potential starter in this league, and not just some Jim Sorgi/Doug Peterson ride-the-pine guy. Here's why.

Let's assume the Chiefs draft Luck, Foles, or someone like that in the first round. Let's also assume that this particular QB we draft turns out to be fucking amazing. Some might say the days of retread QBs will finally be over once that happens. But that's a misnomer. The Chiefs would be very close to wiping that 40-year old shitstain off their faces. But there's one more thing that can happen.

Sacrifice Stanzi. Trade him to a team with the promise: "He's got a bright future and is NFL ready. Don't draft a QB. Instead, trade for our guy at a cheap price. It's like you're getting a franchise QB for half the cost!"

This team will never achieve closure for the many, many years of Grbacs, Greens, and Cassels until we get other teams to trade for OUR backup QBs. It's how you close a long, tragic, chapter in this team's history. Not by simply finally drafting a QB. That's the most important step, but it can't be done alone.

WE have to turn into the San Francisco, Green Bay, and New England. Take OUR backup QBs and implant false hopes into the dreams of THEIR young fans.

THAT is how you gain closure. And that is Stanzi's function to this team. And what an important function it is.

I say once we get past Minnesota, Indy, and Miami, we start Stanzi in preparation for his anointing and sacrifice.

King_Chief_Fan
09-30-2011, 01:20 PM
who would want the Chiefs back ups? The friggen starter isn't any good and Stanzi isn't even 2nd string and we know how Palko sucks. Sad day when your starter sucks and there is no way your backups ever see the field. The other teams would be taking a pig in a poke. Who is to say that this team won't suck every bit as bad?

lcarus
09-30-2011, 01:25 PM
We don't know shit about Stanzi but I'd like to see him play.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Ricky Stanzi will be the Steve Walsh to Andrew Luck's Troy Aikman.

RealSNR
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
who would want the Chiefs back ups? The friggen starter isn't any good and Stanzi isn't even 2nd string and we know how Palko sucks. Sad day when your starter sucks and there is no way your backups ever see the field. The other teams would be taking a pig in a poke. Who is to say that this team won't suck every bit as bad?Isn't that usually what happens when teams trade for back up QBs?

With the exception of Drew Bledsoe, I can't name one recent backup QB who wasn't an unproven when they went to the new team:

Matt Hasselbeck
Kevin Kolb
MATT FUCKING CASSEL
EVERY Dolphins QB they've ever traded for

And look at recent names: Matt Flynn? What the fuck has he ever done?

King_Chief_Fan
09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Isn't that usually what happens when teams trade for back up QBs?

With the exception of Drew Bledsoe, I can't name one recent backup QB who wasn't an unproven when they went to the new team:

Matt Hasselbeck
Kevin Kolb
MATT ****ING CASSEL
EVERY Dolphins QB they've ever traded for

And look at recent names: Matt Flynn? What the **** has he ever done?

yup I get your point....dont forget Fitzpatrick

lcarus
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

He's looked good when he's had a chance to play in meaningless games with a loaded offense. Yeah color me unimpressed. People just want any alternative to Cassel that could be out there. I get that. Makes sense.

MagicHef
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
This is one of the big reasons that Denver fans wanted Tebow to start, but apparently losing with Orton is much better for the team.

Sofa King
09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
He's a nobody backup and he always will be. He's not the savior some people think he is.

That's my opinion of Stanzi.

RealSNR
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
He's a nobody backup and he always will be. He's not the savior some people think he is.

That's my opinion of Stanzi.And given what we've gone through throughout Carl and now Pioli, it's time we put lipstick on that nobody backup pig and send him off to go start for somebody else.

The Franchise
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
yup I get your point....dont forget Fitzpatrick

And Matt Schaub.

Kylo Ren
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
It's difficult to gauge the feelings of Chiefs fans towards Stanzi these days. Some say he is Tom Brady. Some say he is John the Baptist. Some say that the very notion that the Chiefs have a young QB on the roster with any kind of potential is a threat to achieving Andrew Luck.

I think he's a mixture of all three, personally. More importantly, it's CRUCIAL that we develop him as a potential starter in this league, and not just some Jim Sorgi/Doug Peterson ride-the-pine guy. Here's why.

Let's assume the Chiefs draft Luck, Foles, or someone like that in the first round. Let's also assume that this particular QB we draft turns out to be ****ing amazing. Some might say the days of retread QBs will finally be over once that happens. But that's a misnomer. The Chiefs would be very close to wiping that 40-year old shitstain off their faces. But there's one more thing that can happen.

Sacrifice Stanzi. Trade him to a team with the promise: "He's got a bright future and is NFL ready. Don't draft a QB. Instead, trade for our guy at a cheap price. It's like you're getting a franchise QB for half the cost!"

This team will never achieve closure for the many, many years of Grbacs, Greens, and Cassels until we get other teams to trade for OUR backup QBs. It's how you close a long, tragic, chapter in this team's history. Not by simply finally drafting a QB. That's the most important step, but it can't be done alone.

WE have to turn into the San Francisco, Green Bay, and New England. Take OUR backup QBs and implant false hopes into the dreams other THEIR young fans.

THAT is how you gain closure. And that is Stanzi's function to this team. And what an important function it is.

I say once we get past Minnesota, Indy, and Miami, we start Stanzi in preparation for his anointing and sacrifice.

I agree, play Stanzi for 1/2 year. I disagree with Trent Green being on your list. He was a good QB. But, I do understand that you're saying he was not home grown.

Coogs
09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Since we can automatically suit up 3 QB's this season, and haven't... and he is sitting behind Tyler Palko of all people... :shrug:

Just hard to get excited that he could be our future. That said, I still think he was by far and away the best QB we trotted out there in the pre-season games.

talastan
09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Andrew Luck is number 12, Stanzi was number 12 at Iowa; then he heard he was going to be backing up Andrew Luck so he picked number 13! :thumb:

whoman69
09-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Stanzi has to hope he gets a shot this year. On the course we are on right now his career goes the way of Joe Germaine. Even if we don't stink enough to get Luck, we still have to go QB next year, especially considering Stanzi will still be an unknown.

If Haley wants to try to save his job he needs to try something different. Does anyone think Stanzi will be worse than Check Down?

BigMeatballDave
09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
If Cassel struggles and they lose, he should be benched.(yes, I'm aware that this is in direct conflict with SUCK FOR LUCK)

BigMeatballDave
09-30-2011, 02:58 PM

That's my opinion of Stanzi.

All I know is he's not nearly as good as Luck.

That said, he should be playing no later than game 10.

If we win the Luck sweepstakes, then they can duel it out next summer.

suds79
09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Never has a 3rd stringer gotten so much run around here.

It's amazing.

Wake me when he actually beats out Palko.

HemiEd
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM

It's amazing.

Wake me when he actually gets a fair shot to beat out Palko.

fixed it

Extra Point
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Besides getting fitted for a Super Bowl ring, nothing. ROFL

Shitty, ain't it? Being a back-up and getting to wear a "World Champions" ring.

Fritz88
09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Starting Stanzi could cost us Luck.

No thanks.

jspchief
09-30-2011, 03:15 PM

It's amazing.

Wake me when he actually beats out Palko.

Yea because coaches never get depth charts wrong. Just ask Jared Allen needing an injury get on the field.

suds79
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Yea because coaches never get depth charts wrong. Just ask Jared Allen needing an injury get on the field.

I'm not even arguing that Todd has it right. The point is, if Matt gets benched or is hurt, it's Tyler that goes in.

I mean I just think it's a pipe dream.

jspchief
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not even arguing that Todd has it right. The point is, if Matt gets benched or is hurt, it's Tyler that goes in.

I mean I just think it's a pipe dream.

From a "next man in" standpoint, yes its Palko at this time.

From "omfg I need to salvage my job" standpoint, Haley would likely be better off rolling the dice on Stanzi.

09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
well until he is activated for a game its all moot anyway.

whoman69
09-30-2011, 04:41 PM
We already know Check Down is not the answer. Its time to move on.

The Franchise
09-30-2011, 04:46 PM
We already know Check Down is not the answer. Its time to move on.

No....Cassel hasn't been embarassed enough.

Tribal Warfare
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
No....Cassel hasn't been embarassed enough.

He needs to take ownership of this abortion of a season, he must start every game because of it.

FAX
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Our QB's a moron and pansy
One gene or two short of chimpanzee
He sniffs his own farts
Yet we give him the starts
Instead of trying out Stanzi

FAX

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2011, 08:14 PM
God I hope Cassel throws 9 interceptions this week and gets a spine breaking sack from yours truly !

NJChiefsFan
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Let's assume the Chiefs draft Luck, Foles, or someone like that in the first round. Let's also assume that this particular QB we draft turns out to be ****ing amazing. Some might say the days of retread QBs will finally be over once that happens. But that's a misnomer. The Chiefs would be very close to wiping that 40-year old shitstain off their faces. But there's one more thing that can happen.

WE have to turn into the San Francisco, Green Bay, and New England. Take OUR backup QBs and implant false hopes into the dreams of THEIR young fans.

I understand your point. I just am not sure 6 games of Stanzi is enough to convince a team to trade for him assuming we draft a QB to start next year.

BossChief
09-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I understand your point. I just am not sure 6 games of Stanzi is enough to convince a team to trade for him assuming we draft a QB to start next year.

Stanzi will be here the next two years after this one, at minimum.

NJChiefsFan
10-01-2011, 12:10 AM

I agree with that. I am just saying if we get Luck I don't see Stanzi having enough time this year to build a resume that we can trade.

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I agree with that. I am just saying if we get Luck I don't see Stanzi having enough time this year to build a resume that we can trade.

It would be very similar to the Favre/Brunell combination back in the early to mid-90's

RealSNR
10-01-2011, 12:51 AM
I agree with that. I am just saying if we get Luck I don't see Stanzi having enough time this year to build a resume that we can trade."Hello? Green Bay Packers? Yeah, it's Matt Hasselbeck. You win."

RealSNR
10-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I know that was just Holmgren trading for his boy, but look at these fucking stats.

1998- Practice squad
1999- 1 game. 3/10 41 yards 1 TD 0 INT
2000- 1 game. 10/19 104 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Holmgren and Hasselbeck were besties. I get that. But THAT'S what you waste a 1st round pick on? You're THAT confident in his abilities? Jesus God.

Epic Fail 007
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
this is all piolis fault not haley

Epic Fail 007
10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
for someone to cheer for ur team to loose,is just stupid

10-01-2011, 02:00 AM
for someone to cheer for ur team to loose,is just stoopid

FYP figured it needed balance.

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2011, 05:49 AM
In all honesty, if KC loses the Luck Sweepstakes then IMO we'll have to hope Stanzi will develop because Pioli won't draft a 1st round, because Pioli doesn't want a target on his back if that 1st round QB fails to be the top tier franchise QB that was expected out of him.

jd1020
10-13-2011, 05:55 AM
In all honesty, if KC loses the Luck Sweepstakes then IMO we'll have to hope Stanzi will develop because Pioli won't draft a 1st round, because Pioli doesn't want a target on his back if that 1st round QB fails to be the top tier franchise QB that was expected out of him.

Pioli is going to have an even bigger target on his back if he continues to trot a QB who can consistently put up the worst numbers week in and week out on to the field rather than trying to improve the position. I'd love to see Stanzi out on the field right now, but even though I think he's much better than Cassel, I don't think putting your eggs in his basket would be better than putting your eggs in Jones/Barkley/RG3's basket.

durtyrute
10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Damn, can the kid play a few games before we start talking about trading him?

Extra Point
10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

THIS. If we draft Luck, which would be a miracle, I can dig on trading Cassel, and that ain't gonna happen. Otherwise, a 3-5th round QB pick to replace Palko makes sense. Then, wheel and deal.

We have too many openings at other positions, to worry about QB. If you call shitty pass plays, and/or can't buy the passer time, and/or can't get receivers open, and/or have an inaccurate passer, you're cooked. Last game was the first game that we showed real life.

tmw4h5
10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
The 'Patriot Way' only works when you have Tom Brady. We have Brady 2.0. Let's make this happen.