PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Cassel tries to put mistake behind him

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Cassel tries to put mistake behind him (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/30/3177781/cassel-tries-to-put-mistake-behind.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Former NFL quarterback Dan Fouts cringed last week when, while broadcasting the game for CBS, he saw Matt Cassel throw the avoidable interception that ended the Chiefs’ chance at victory in San Diego.

Fouts has been there and done the same thing, so he knows what a chore it can be to get past such a mistake.

“You’re talking to a guy who threw a lot of interceptions,” Fouts said. “Unfortunately, I was in that situation a few times. It is tough to get over it.”

Fouts also won many games for his team, the Chargers — so many that he eventually wound up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Cassel doesn’t have that background. It is a play that at worst can ruin a quarterback’s career or at best linger in his mind for awhile.

So Cassel did the only thing he knew how to do this week. He picked up the pieces as best he could and prepared for Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings at Arrowhead Stadium.

“Obviously, there’s disappointment,” Cassel said. “Anytime you play the quarterback position in the NFL, you put yourself out there each and every play. You go out there and you try 110 percent throughout the entire game, and sometimes things don’t go like you’d like them to go.

“Unfortunately, that last interception is something that you’d like to have back, but it does happen, so you’ve got to have a short memory.”

Monday morning, it was back to work.

“I got in here on Monday like I always do, worked out, made my corrections and then tried to work on some stuff to get ready to go for this week,” Cassel said. “I think you just have to try to keep things in perspective. Some are harder than others, but at the same time, you really do have to learn how to turn the page in this league, and you can’t let it hold you down or hold you back because there’s another game coming on Sunday.”

After falling behind twice by 10 points, the Chiefs had pulled to within three points at 20-17 and were driving toward a potential tying field goal or winning touchdown.

On first down at the San Diego 43, with about a minute left, the Chiefs called a screen pass to Dexter McCluster. Cassel initially tried to look off the rush, as he is coached to do. But when he looked back to the left toward McCluster, he evidently didn’t see safety Eric Weddle, who had been blitzing but peeled off when he recognized that the screen was coming.

Instead of throwing the ball to the ground and living for another play, Cassel threw the ball to Weddle, and the Chiefs were finished.

Fouts recalled that happening to him on at least one occasion.

“I had a goal-line pass intercepted one time when we needed a touchdown to win a game,” he said. “One of the reporters came to me after the game and asked what happened. I said I just didn’t see (the defender).

“The next day, one of my teammates had made up a hat for me that said, ‘I didn’t see him,’ and then he put it in my locker. The idea was I wouldn’t have to answer the question anymore. I could just put on the hat. That helped me when guys were trying to make light of a tough situation.”

Nothing like that happened at the Chiefs’ practice facility this week. But neither did teammates or coaches pile on Cassel.

“He knows he’s going to play (well),” wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said. “Matt’s been doing a great job all week of handling the ball. You just learn from your mistakes.”

Offensive coordinator Bill Muir indicated there was plenty of blame to go around in the loss to the Chargers.

“As bad as that play was, I think the one point we tried to make with Matt was there were other plays that (also) made the difference,” Muir said. “That play was significant, but it didn’t lose the game for us. We had other opportunities.

“I don’t think you can pat anybody on the back, even myself or another player, and say, ‘Hey, it’s all right. Forget about it.’ That hurt, and we’re not going to forget about it easily.”

Playing the Vikings on Sunday might be good therapy for Cassel … as long as he doesn’t make the same mistake again.

“You just go back to work,” Fouts said. “You just show your teammates you care and that it was a mistake and that you’re going to communicate and do all the right things and that you’ll get it right the next time. There’s nothing else you can do.

“That’s the beauty of the NFL. You always have another game the next week and another chance to make it right.”

Hammock Parties
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Teicher: Cassel tries to put Kansas City behind him

kcxiv
10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Dont put it behind you. let it always linger so you get nervous and do it again until the end of the season. Then when your gone, well, i dont care what you do.

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Dont put it behind you. let it always linger so you get nervous and do it again until the end of the season. Then when your gone, well, i dont care what you do.

It won't linger, he'll be so focused on the opposition's passrush yt will seem like a afterthought. Of course Cassel will lose all bodily functions when the events occur.

10-01-2011, 01:59 AM
I love cliches.

FAX
10-01-2011, 02:05 AM
The problem is that Cassel did try to put this behind him, but it wound up on his head.

FAX

RealSNR
10-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Meanwhile the Chiefs try to put the Colts behind them in the 2012 draft order.

SUCK4LUCK

FAX
10-01-2011, 02:18 AM
In other news ...

This whole Cassel situation is reminiscent of latter day Herm. Back then, I found myself counting the days, hoping beyond hope that Herm would soon be gone. It was like being mired in quicksand ... or quickcrap, maybe ... the more you struggled, the more flustrating it became. As the endless moments ticked by, it seemed as though Herm would be here forever. Then, one day, when the news finally arrived that Herm was moving on to become a famous sports common tater, the joy was almost unbearable. It was pure ecstasy and a bliss that defies description except that it was almost as good as enjoying a few cocktails then harboring one's member amongst the nether regions betwixt the soft thighs possessed by a young, nubile blond with green eyes and perfect tittahs.

FAX

ChiefGator
10-01-2011, 03:51 AM
Here's how I read this...

This whole Cassel situation is reminiscent of latter day Herm. Back then, I found myself counting the days, hoping beyond hope that Herm would soon be gone. It was like being mired in quicksand ... ..

[ hmm.. stupid herm ... what the hell is this Mr. Fax talking about now? .. blah blah blah ]

Herm was moving on to become a famous sports common tater,

[ oh.. that's funny.. I should change the name of my fantasy team to that .. yeah funny.. ugh.. more post ... blah blah blah .. skim skim skim ... ]

betwixt the soft thighs possessed by a young, nubile blond with green eyes and perfect tittahs.

[ Wait! What!? I think I better go back and read this again ]

10-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Here's how I read this...

[ hmm.. stupid herm ... what the hell is this Mr. Fax talking about now? .. blah blah blah ]

[ oh.. that's funny.. I should change the name of my fantasy team to that .. yeah funny.. ugh.. more post ... blah blah blah .. skim skim skim ... ]

[ Wait! What!? I think I better go back and read this again ]
Mr. FAX's posts always have a good payoff. You should never just skip to the end.

Red Dawg
10-01-2011, 04:45 AM
How many articles can be written about a QB not getting it done. This happens every week with him.

Pioli Zombie
10-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Fax gave me a Casselasm

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Why didn't Cassel end that interview with, "Diablos!! #1!! Yeah!!"?

milkman
10-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Did anyone ask Dan Fouts if he ever confused a 6'2" O-Lineman blocking a defender on a screen for a 5' mcmidget standing alone waiting for the pass?

Rausch
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
[SIZE="5"]“Unfortunately, that last interception is something that you’d like to have back, [b]but it does happen, so you’ve got to have a short memory.”

No, jahgazz, stupidity of that level does not commonly happen.

Now, with QB's in way over their head, yes, you do tend to see stupidity quite often...

talastan
10-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the advice Mr. Fouts, the only problem is that you were able to put your "I didn't see him" hat on your head. Mr. Cassel has accuracy problems that wouldn't allow him to make use of such a hat. :)

Frosty
10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Did anyone ask Dan Fouts if he ever confused a 6'2" O-Lineman blocking a defender on a screen for a 5' mcmidget standing alone waiting for the pass?

No shit. The article makes it sound like Weddle undercut the pass or something. Weddle wasn't anywhere close to the intended target.

WhiteWhale
10-01-2011, 10:07 AM

From what I saw I'm not sure Cassel could see McMidget. There were a lot of big guys right in front of him and McCluster seemed kinda hidden from his line of sight.

When he panicked, I don't think he threw it at Lilja... I think he blindly passed to the spot McCluster was supposed to eventually be. I'm not sure he even saw what he was throwing at.

Obviously that's not defense. You turf the ball on a blown up screen pass. All QB's know that.

stevieray
10-01-2011, 10:51 AM
...Fouts put a hat on?

oh, the irony.

LMAO

milkman
10-01-2011, 11:06 AM
From what I saw I'm not sure Cassel could see McMidget. There were a lot of big guys right in front of him and McCluster seemed kinda hidden from his line of sight.

When he panicked, I don't think he threw it at Lilja... I think he blindly passed to the spot McCluster was supposed to eventually be. I'm not sure he even saw what he was throwing at.

Obviously that's not defense. You turf the ball on a blown up screen pass. All QB's know that.

Whether Dink could actually see McMidget is irrelevant.

He saw Lilja engaged in a block and threw it to him.

Did a 6'3" Lilja engaged in blocking Weddle look exactly like an open McMidget?

DBOSHO
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
THROW THE DEEP BALL MORE THAN ONCE A GAME PUSSY AND DEFENDERS WONT BE SITTING AROUND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

WhiteWhale
10-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Whether Dink could actually see McMidget is irrelevant.

He saw Lilja engaged in a block and threw it to him.

Did a 6'3" Lilja engaged in blocking Weddle look exactly like an open McMidget?

I don't think he had a f**king clue what he was throwing at. He panicked and simply threw it. That's my whole point.

You throw the ball into the ground.

RealSNR
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
He panicked and simply threw it.Oftentimes panic = confusion.

Oh shit oh shit oh shit.. is that McCluster? Sweet! *throw*

milkman
10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
You throw the ball into the ground.

Shit, maybe he was afraid he might hit McMidget on the head if he did that.

CoMoChief
10-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Mistake? as in "one" mistake?

ROFL .....really?

He says he's trying 110%......my god I'd hate to see what he's like when he slacks off.

whoman69
10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
In other news ...

This whole Cassel situation is reminiscent of latter day Herm. Back then, I found myself counting the days, hoping beyond hope that Herm would soon be gone. It was like being mired in quicksand ... or quickcrap, maybe ... the more you struggled, the more flustrating it became. As the endless moments ticked by, it seemed as though Herm would be here forever. Then, one day, when the news finally arrived that Herm was moving on to become a famous sports common tater, the joy was almost unbearable. It was pure ecstasy and a bliss that defies description except that it was almost as good as enjoying a few cocktails then harboring one's member amongst the nether regions betwixt the soft thighs possessed by a young, nubile blond with green eyes and perfect tittahs.

FAX

I come on this board every day hoping to hear the announcement that Check Down has been demoted.

cabletech94
10-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Shit, maybe he was afraid he might hit McMidget on the head if he did that.

hellz, even IF mcNugget makes a catch here, he's a deadman.:cuss:

the Talking Can
10-01-2011, 11:58 AM
i like how cassel's shitty performance has been reduced to one play

let's just forget about the first half where he attempted to pretend to look like a QB....and failed