PDA

View Full Version : Football After 4 weeks: Who is the best team in the AFC?

tk13
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
We're at the quarter mark, had a chance to feel things out a bit now. Who is the best team in the AFC?

ILChief
10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
New England followed by Baltimore. Its a big drop after that

Deberg_1990
10-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Tennessee

FAX
10-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm going with the Pats. Defense or no defense, they can light it up when they need to and it has become a passing league, for sure ... giving them an advantage on most Sundays.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
AFC sucks this yr.

Flacco was horrible tonight and very inconsistent overall.

Hootie
It's New England and it isn't even close if you ask me. Their arrogance cost them the Bills game...they learned today and ran it with the big lead rather than letting Tom Brady sling for records...

That doesn't mean they can play January football...they have to re-prove that to me before I start betting them in the postseason again.

BigMeatballDave
TennesseeCertainly the surprise team this yr.

jd1020
Between the Pats and Ravens. I'd take the Pats in a head to head. Their O can score on anyone. I don't trust Flacco just yet.

tredadda
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I am going with Baltimore. They have already dominated the two participants in last years AFC championship. They look as good as ever.

Three7s
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll go with the Bills. I know they lost, but I think they have most of the pieces in place.

chefsos
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Had I just seen the score of tonight's game I'd have said Baltimore, no question. But what I saw in that shitfest cannot be unseen. So, NE for now.

Buck
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Ravens, not even close.

Shaid
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
What? No KC option?

:bong:

mnchiefsguy
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Went with NE. I think them blowing the big lead last week was the best thing that could have happened to them. They will remember that loss all season, and they have the firepower to put teams away early.

tk13
10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I made the poll because I was looking at the standings and wasn't too sure of the answer myself. No takers on Houston? If Andre Johnson is hurt that obviously changes things a bit... but looking at that list, the first thing I thought was "Wow, Houston might have a shot."

BigChiefFan
10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I think New England's defense bites them in the ass in the playoffs.

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I made the poll because I was looking at the standings and wasn't too sure of the answer myself. No takers on Houston? If Andre Johnson is hurt that obviously changes things a bit... but looking at that list, the first thing I thought was "Wow, Houston might have a shot."If Johnson misses any significant time, they are screwed.

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I think New England's defense bites them in the ass in the playoffs. Defense no longer wins Championships.

tk13
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM

That's been the problem the last two years... they come into the playoffs looking like a contender then get punched in the mouth. Has the league finally become so pass happy that it won't matter? The last couple years have definitely been about the offense but you at least needed to play D to win... the Packers were great defensively last year.

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Ravens, not even close.:spock:

tredadda
10-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Defense no longer wins Championships.

But the Jets beat NE 2out of 3 times last year and it wasn't because of their dominating offense.

jd1020
10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
But the Jets beat NE 2out of 3 times last year and it wasn't because of their dominating offense.

How'd that dominating defense do in the SB last year?

Okie_Apparition
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Killer's row is losing some steam

lcarus
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM

I agree. I think Baltimore is the best all around team.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 01:04 AM
I agree. I think Baltimore is the best all around team.Very good D. Flacco was awful tonight.

This is QB league. My money is on Brady.

Joe Seahawk
10-03-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm sensing another era of NFC dominance similar to 84-98. :)

Amnorix
10-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Ravens. Pats defnse is horrible. I'm thinking 12-4 or so with another first round exit playing against a team with a good or better defense in January. :shake:

Amnorix
10-03-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm sensing another era of NFC dominance similar to 84-98. :)

This would be conference pride, I'm assuming, because the Seahawks aren't dominating anybody I'm afraid. :p

Amnorix
10-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Defense no longer wins Championships.

It's not the 70s, I agree, but the last 10 years have not been won by offense-happy, suck-ass defensive teams.

The one year the Colts won it all, their defense was HISTORICALLY bad, but they turned it around in a hurry in the post-season and played really great defense. IIRC, Sanders had been out but came back, or something.

You can with with a great offense and an average defense, IMHO, but you can't win with a great offense and a terrible defense. That's the Pats right now.

Sucky
10-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Pats

whoman69
10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Every team has some warts. New England has a poor defense but the offense to make up for it. Them getting a run game going is scary. Baltimore tries too hard to beat every team 45-10 and tend to make mistakes because of it. There isn't any team close to them right now. There is no way Hasselback stands up for the whole year in Tennessee. I don't think he has enough left in the tank. Then again, he knows this is probably his final shot.

DJ's left nut
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Does New England actually have a defense?

I'm going to go with Houston here. They can run the ball down your throat if they want to. If AJ's injury isn't too serious, they're a top 5 passing team and that defense will be quite good by the end of the year, IMO. They've added a lot of talent and they've made an excellent transition to the 3-4.

If Kubiak can keep from !@#$ing it up as he always seems to do, Houston appears to have the most dangerous overall team in football.

lcarus
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Very good D. Flacco was awful tonight.

This is QB league. My money is on Brady.

A great defense is pretty essential too. Flacco is pretty good as well. But yeah, the Pats could just as easily win it too.

Bearcat
10-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Leaning towards Baltimore, but Flacco needs to step it up.

The Patriots are putting up 500 yards/game, but giving up 475. Ironically, after all the Manning/Brady talk when Manning got hurt, we'll now see if Brady can win without a D, when the pressure is on him to score every time he has the ball.

Tennessee beat the Ravens, but they haven't played anyone else... guess we'll know more after they play the Steelers and Texans.

FloridaMan88
10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
NFC is far and away better than the AFC this year.

Chiefnj2
10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
NE/Buffalo/Houston

NE is going to put points on the board. You need someone who can match them until you can force a turnover, or perhaps the weather starts playing a factor in the passing game. I don't think the Ravens have the offense to keep up.

HemiEd
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
It's New England and it isn't even close if you ask me. Their arrogance cost them the Bills game...they learned today and ran it with the big lead rather than letting Tom Brady sling for records...

That doesn't mean they can play January football...they have to re-prove that to me before I start betting them in the postseason again.

The Raiders put a big bow on that game prior to gifting it to them.

Did you watch it?

The Raiders could have easily won that game, but they kept getting penalized, as always.

That game was not an endorsement of Patriot awesomeness to me.

The power has shifted to the NFC, there isn't really a dominate team in the AFC. So it is probably NE by default.

TEX
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
IMO, it's Baltimore. They have a LOT of room to improve. IF / WHEN they do they will be scary.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm going to go with Houston here. They can run the ball down your throat if they want to. If AJ's injury isn't too serious, they're a top 5 passing team and that defense will be quite good by the end of the year, IMO. They've added a lot of talent and they've made an excellent transition to the 3-4.

If Kubiak can keep from !@#$ing it up as he always seems to do, Houston appears to have the most dangerous overall team in football.

I just don't see it. Solid team, but they aren't going anywhere.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
It's not the 70s, I agree, but the last 10 years have not been won by offense-happy, suck-ass defensive teams.

The one year the Colts won it all, their defense was HISTORICALLY bad, but they turned it around in a hurry in the post-season and played really great defense. IIRC, Sanders had been out but came back, or something.

You can with with a great offense and an average defense, IMHO, but you can't win with a great offense and a terrible defense. That's the Pats right now.

Teams win with a stud QB and an adequate D.

jd1020
10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Houston is getting over hyped because this is their chance to actually do something and its not because they are that good. It's because Manning is virtually out for the season and the Colts hit rock bottom.

Amnorix
10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Peter King has it right:

3. New England (3-1). Unless Tom Brady breaks Dan Marino's passing-yardage record by 1,000 or so, it's only a matter of time before the Patriots' defense ruins this team. Yards allowed in the first four games this year: 488, 470, 448, 504.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/02/week.4/index.html#ixzz1ZjgcbKcn

The Franchise
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
1. Baltimore
2. New England
3. Houston (with AJ)

Deberg_1990
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
This thread should help remind us all that the Chiefs (as bad as they have played at times) are still right in the thick of the race. Amazing.

JD10367
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I voted Houston. They've shown some backbone. I'd put the Pats in 1st but that D is still a work in progress. It's not as awful as it looks, because they're meshing new parts and moving to the 4-3 and dealing with injuries in the secondary (and now up front with Mayo out). But the safety position is weak and, due to the injuries and new guys, I think the D will continue to suck ass for most of the season. Hopefully they gel by playoff time. Buffalo's still too young and raw. Baltimore, that O is still questionable (Flacco sucked almost as bad as Sanchez last night). San Diego's not showing that they can put an opponent away or not shoot themselves in the foot. Tennessee's a nice surprise but, like Buffalo, I need a larger sample size before I make any bold predictions for them.

TEX
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I voted Houston. They've shown some backbone. I'd put the Pats in 1st but that D is still a work in progress. It's not as awful as it looks, because they're meshing new parts and moving to the 4-3 and dealing with injuries in the secondary (and now up front with Mayo out). But the safety position is weak and, due to the injuries and new guys, I think the D will continue to suck ass for most of the season. Hopefully they gel by playoff time. Buffalo's still too young and raw. Baltimore, that O is still questionable (Flacco sucked almost as bad as Sanchez last night). San Diego's not showing that they can put an opponent away or not shoot themselves in the foot. Tennessee's a nice surprise but, like Buffalo, I need a larger sample size before I make any bold predictions for them.

Andre Johnson is out now - and it could be serious. If so,you should change your vote as each year injuries sink this team. The one thing about Houston is, they don't really know how to win the big games yet. IF they every learn, they'll be something special. Their OL is one of the best, if not the best in football.

TEX
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
This thread should help remind us all that the Chiefs (as bad as they have played at times) are still right in the thick of the race. Amazing.

Time will change that...As it's shaping up, the Chiefs could had done something this year had they been better prepared and less injured.

TEX
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
1. Baltimore
2. New England
3. Houston (with AJ)

That's how I see it as well. However, if Andre Johnson is out for any length of time, and he's getting an MRI at the moment, - Houston will drop.

Also, don't overlook the Titans. They are better than anyone thinks. Don't really know how...

kcmaxwell
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I picked NE, but I think if the SuperBowl was this weekend, the Packers would roll them up pretty good.

whoman69
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Did you watch yesterday's game? They took three scores off the board with stupid play including a fumble return where the guy was 15 yards in front of anyone else and one of his teamates blocked from behind. Stupid penalites killed them. They should have won by 20.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
LOL @ 2 votes for Bengals.