PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Cassel makes stand which pays off for Chiefs

Deberg_1990
10-03-2011, 06:41 AM
heh, Cassel has "just enough" talent to win a few games and screw us out of a top pick. Sigh....

A full transcript from the moment of the Chiefs’ season so far is not available, which is just as well because the exact words could not be printed here anyway. Todd Haley screamed at Matt Cassel that he’s a sucker. Cassel yelled back that Haley is fussy.

Or something like that.

Television cameras caught most of it, including the part where Le’Ron McClain rushed over to separate teammate and coach. In that moment, this whole Chiefs season could’ve gone from worse to worst, but instead we saw something much more surprising than Haley screaming at a player.

The Chiefs won.

First time since the day after Christmas, even if you count preseason games, and so what if it took a home game against the winless Vikings for a 22-17 Chiefs victory?

The important part is the last word of that previous paragraph. That, and the fact that the quarterback previously known as the reason so many Chiefs fans are fantasizing about Andrew Luck maybe-just-possibly-perhaps getting his swagger back.

“I seem to respond well when I’m pushed,” Cassel says. “When my back is up against the wall.”

Few people in Kansas City are cussed more than Cassel. On Sunday, he cussed back.

Cassel doesn’t want to go through this every week, and admitted as much after the game, but for one day he responded well, and that’s why the conversation around town will be much different this week.

McClain said on Twitter last week that the Chiefs would be 5-3. Steve Breaston said this first win came because of confidence. Dwayne Bowe hinted that the confidence came from Cassel, who apparently followed his R-rated words at Haley with a halftime speech for the movies.

This is what Haley’s brand of unity looks like. Coaches will scream, players are encouraged to scream back, and they hug it out afterward as long as it works. Haley will sometimes call these “motivational speeches,” but not without laughing.

This is the only way Haley knows. He tells everyone around him to feel free to be the same way, because it doesn’t work if he’s the only one.

“Hey,” Haley says, “I love it.”

Coincidence or not, the Chiefs ran more aggressive plays after the televised screaming. And Cassel was mostly terrific. He completed 15 of 22 passes for 202 yards and a touchdown after the screaming.

Even if he didn’t see open receivers at times — near the goal line, for instance, he threw short to McClain when Leonard Pope was open in the end zone — he kept away from the kinds of mistakes that ended all hope against the Chargers last week.

For better or worse, this is the quarterback the Chiefs think they have. Soon enough they’ll decide whether it’s the quarterback they want to keep.

No interceptions. No fumbles. Safe passes, most of them short, the pattern broken up with throws downfield designed to highlight the receivers’ playmaking more than the quarterback’s.

When the offseason comes and the Chiefs know where they’ll draft, games like this will be weighed against games like last week’s in deciding whether to select a replacement for Cassel.

There are limitations in what he can do, obviously, but he also has some strengths, and this roster has plenty of other needs.

In other words, if you’re among those rooting for the Chiefs to lose and for Cassel to struggle in order for the team to draft Luck or one of college football’s other star quarterbacks, Sunday didn’t work out too well.

On a play created on the sideline, Cassel pump-faked an intermediate route and then threw deep to Bowe, who shoved two Vikings defensive backs aside in making it a 52-yard touchdown. Steve Breaston now has catches of 43, 42 and 28 yards the last two weeks.

Get Jamaal Charles and Tony Moeaki healthy, and maybe the Chiefs have enough playmakers to suit Cassel’s don’t-mess-it-up style of play.

There is a certain amount of fickleness here that we should all keep in mind. If Ryan Succop hadn’t hit five field goals, or if the Vikings would have finished their final drive, the conversation would be completely different this week. The argument between Haley and Cassel would be dissected more, the questions about Haley’s temper resurfacing.

As it stands, the offensive line, receivers and defense — particularly the line and linebackers — did enough to let Kansas City talk about what Cassel can do for the first time in at least a few weeks.

It still figures to be a long and difficult season with more criticism, but this is a nice change.

Against the Vikings, Cassel stood up and cussed back for the first time.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/02/3181393/curse-of-cassel-ends-up-paying.html#ixzz1ZiotjNtM

the Talking Can
10-03-2011, 06:44 AM
jesus christ, 1 good half in 6 games and he's a fucking hero...

the bar is set so low for Cassel, basically all he has to do is not shit his pants live on tv and he gets a gold star..

DBOSHO
10-03-2011, 06:54 AM
He did nothing spectacular. Nothing. He made throws any quarterback should make against a bad defense.

Sweet. He can underthrow a wide open bowe 30 yards down the field. Fuck Andrew luck.

FringeNC
10-03-2011, 07:26 AM
jesus christ, 1 good half in 6 games and he's a ****ing hero...

the bar is set so low for Cassel, basically all he has to do is not shit his pants live on tv and he gets a gold star..

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. If we end up with a terrible record this year, MUCH of that will be on Cassel, so how do you sell season tickets next year? No one wants to pay money to watch him shit his pants 75% of the time. He's done, barring some a dramatic turnaround in our record the rest of the year.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Ive always wondered why our passing offense always starts off so slow in the 1st half or through 3 Quarters, then suddenly turns on the jets when we are down?

Its been a pattern for 3 years now.

Reerun_KC
10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Ive always wondered why our passing offense always starts off so slow in the 1st half or through 3 Quarters, then suddenly turns on the jets when we are down?

maybe because we are a run first team? Then panic and throw late?

Beats me..

this whole season is a clusterfuck...

HemiEd
10-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Playcalling, and Cassel must be tired of them restricting his awesomeness.

They need to take the diapers off of this prolific passer named Cassel.

Three7s
10-03-2011, 07:37 AM
maybe because we are a run first team? Then panic and throw late?

Beats me..

this whole season is a cluster****...
Problem is that we don't have any talent at RB now. We have good receivers, but the QB can't get them the ball. That spells a shitty offense.

WV
10-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Good grief there are some dumb fucks leaving comments in that article.....

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Yay. Are we SB bound, now?

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Problem is that we don't have any talent at RB now. We have good receivers, but the QB can't get them the ball. That spells a shitty offense.

Shitty QB

Three7s
10-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Shitty QB
Yes, I did mention how bad Cassel is in the post if you read it.

Frosty
10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Get Jamaal Charles and Tony Moeaki healthy, and maybe the Chiefs have enough playmakers to suit Cassel’s don’t-mess-it-up style of play.

Kill me now.

:facepalm:

Reerun_KC
10-03-2011, 08:31 AM

And a very average Offensive OL... and average is being nice...

Epic Fail 007
10-03-2011, 08:31 AM
cassel is mark rypien,he won a sb with limited skills

the Talking Can
10-03-2011, 08:34 AM
i hate matt cassel's stupid face

Frosty
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM

A hundred years ago

:rolleyes:

whoman69
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
The answer is not only no, but hell no. Check Down is the type QB you have when you can't find any better. There is no freaking way he bought himself a pass to be anything other than the Chiefs QB for right now.

the Talking Can
10-03-2011, 08:39 AM

no he's not, he's a piece of shit

Red Dawg
10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Any thought that we don'teed a new QB is more than just crazy, it's lunacy. If we fail to get Luck and don't draft a QB in the first then I pray they at least give Stanzi a shot. He's got the mechanics, we have some weapons and he's a gamer that plays with fire.

milkshock
10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
lets face it cassel is probably only slightly worse than green. but clearly that isnt good enough to overcome the lack of offensive intelligence on the part of the coaching staff. we need a cant miss 1st round prospect to wipe out the mistakes of pioli haley and muir.

the 1st overall pick is gone so forget about luck. i doubt if we will finish top 5 in terms of picks which means barkley will probably have gone as well. all i can see is jones and if he is on the board take him.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Kill me now.

:facepalm:

heh, glad somebody caught that.

Wlecome to 1992 again Chiefs fans!

Epic Fail 007
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
no he's not, he's a piece of shit

lol so what u saying mark was a game breaker,lol,i think not

Chiefnj2
10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I only watched the first quarter and then highlights. My thoughts:

1. Offensive playcalling was poor. When I watched I thought I saw about a -1 ypc avg.
2. Penalties moving the ball back. I think it was 1st and 25 on the first drive. KC isn't a good enough team to overcome something like that.
3. The play where Cassel ended up arguing with Haley. A double screen pass on 3rd down from the 9?? Really Muir?? Bad call to begin with. I honestly think the play called for Cassel to fake it to McCluster on the right and come back with it on the left. You can see Dex "fake" catching the ball. Cassel should have bought some time but I think (other than Dex) the other receivers were blocking down the line.
4. Haley v. Cassel. Good. Whatever happened the players seemed to respond to Cassel at halftime. So much for the CP theory that the players don't respect Matt. Why couldn't this have happened at the half against the Bills? It seemed to spark the team and maybe even the playcalling a little.
5. In the highlights it looked like the D was still giving up 3rd and 10+ yard attempts late in the game. Not good.

Let the Foles/Barkley/Lindley/Jones/Griffin race begin!

HemiEd
10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
4. Haley v. Cassel. Good. Whatever happened the players seemed to respond to Cassel at halftime. So much for the CP theory that the players don't respect Matt. Why couldn't this have happened at the half against the Bills? It seemed to spark the team and maybe even the playcalling a little.

This is interesting, and will be even more so, watching it unfold.

So, if the team is rallying around Cassel, they may be sick of Haley's tuff guy approach? Or are they just sick of the conservative play calling? (I didn't think of Haley as being conservative when he was calling them)

I don't even want to think about how that might turn out.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
This is interesting, and will be even more so, watching it unfold.

So, if the team is rallying around Cassel, they may be sick of Haley's tuff guy approach? Or are they just sick of the conservative play calling? (I didn't think of Haley as being conservative when he was calling them)

I don't even want to think about how that might turn out.

Yes, that's it. The players don't like Haley . That's why players are extending their contracts.

Skyy God
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Torpedoing the S4L campaign is paying off?

whoman69
10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
lets face it cassel is probably only slightly worse than green. but clearly that isnt good enough to overcome the lack of offensive intelligence on the part of the coaching staff. we need a cant miss 1st round prospect to wipe out the mistakes of pioli haley and muir.

the 1st overall pick is gone so forget about luck. i doubt if we will finish top 5 in terms of picks which means barkley will probably have gone as well. all i can see is jones and if he is on the board take him.

One win did all of that? Stop being sorry for yourself.

lcarus
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
This is why fans are ok with losing this season. Winning masks how bad Cassel sucks.