PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tony Gonzalaz and the Hall Of Fame

Marada
10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I think it's a given that Tony Gonzalaz will be in the Hall of Fame but open for discussion is how. Would he have had the same success if he were drafted by another team? I remember his 1st 2 seasons that he suffered from dropping the ball regularly. His blocking was questioned. Did the coaching at the time bring him around and would he have received the same support somewhere else?

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2011, 11:24 AM
1st ballot

jd1020
Gonzalez is 100% a HoFer so this thread is pointless.

Rooster

This

Marada
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
So discussion about is pointless. I thought that was what fans did. Discuss what ifs. He will be in the Hall of Fame, no doubt. But would he have enjoyed the same success on another team is the question.

jd1020
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
"What ifs" aren't relevant so this thread is pointless.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
But would he have enjoyed the same success on another team is the question.

My gut feeling is yes. He played on alot of bad Chiefs teams and with bad QB's and still had success.

Bump
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
So discussion about is pointless. I thought that was what fans did. Discuss what ifs. He will be in the Hall of Fame, no doubt. But would he have enjoyed the same success on another team is the question.

there is no way to tell if he would have been as successful. So this discussion is indeed, pointless.

FAX
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I find the pointless irrelevance and unproductive futility of this thread to be entirely consistent with ChiefsPlanet rules and tradition.

FAX

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM
But would he have enjoyed the same success on another team is the question.

No, he would have always had the secret desire to be a Chief that would burn inside him.

FAX
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Now that I think on it, maybe not.

Other teams have had players they call "wide receivers". We just started down that road.

FAX

2bikemike
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
First of all Gonzalez is spelled with an E before the Z, Secondly the guy was and is an all pro. He would have had success wherever he went. He had talent and he still worked hard at it.

Hootie
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Tony Gonzalez continues to amaze me...I was watching Red Zone and they kept showing some of his catches yesterday...unbelievable. That dude is so good it's disgusting. He should keep playing until the wheels fall off...it's inevitable that in today's NFL somebody like Jimmy Graham is going to come through and shatter all of his records...but at least pull a Favre and make it hard on the new breed.

Frosty
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Tony Gonzalez continues to amaze me...I was watching Red Zone and they kept showing some of his catches yesterday...unbelievable. That dude is so good it's disgusting. He should keep playing until the wheels fall off...it's inevitable that in today's NFL somebody like Jimmy Graham is going to come through and shatter all of his records...but at least pull a Favre and make it hard on the new breed.

I've seen a lot of Falcons games and Tony still is an amazing receiver. You can tell, though, that he has lost some speed. He looked really slow yesterday.

FloridaMan88
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
On a somewhat related topic... did anyone catch Peter King last night proclaiming that there were no "lock" HOF eligible candidates this year?

How is Will Shields not a "lock" HOF candidate?

-King-
10-03-2011, 01:19 PM

His records won't be broken any time soon. No tight end can do what he did and more importantly no tight end will be given the same opportunities he gets. Jimmy is good but I'm pretty sure he won't be playing at this level for a decade + like tony has
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
10-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I find the pointless irrelevance and unproductive futility of this thread to be entirely consistent with ChiefsPlanet rules and tradition.

FAX

Thus making it moot Mr. Fax

suzzer99
10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I've seen a lot of Falcons games and Tony still is an amazing receiver. You can tell, though, that he has lost some speed. He looked really slow yesterday.

He's been losing speed for a while. His game was never about speed. It's about finding the open spot, getting position and making the clutch amazing catch in traffic when needed.

suzzer99
10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
On a somewhat related topic... did anyone catch Peter King last night proclaiming that there were no "lock" HOF eligible candidates this year?

Played in KC ldo. How the hell did Roaf not make it his first year?

suzzer99
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
His records won't be broken any time soon. No tight end can do what he did and more importantly no tight end will be given the same opportunities he gets. Jimmy is good but I'm pretty sure he won't be playing at this level for a decade + like tony has
Posted via Mobile Device

Gates is on pace, but I doubt he'll stay healthy.

Nickel D
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
The tight ends coach on the other team would have left him high and dry without any support or instruction whatsoever and he would have become a player similar to Anthony Becht.

-King-
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Gates is on pace, but I doubt he'll stay healthy.

Yeah, he was the last good hope to break TGs records, but he can't stay healthy at all, so I doubt it's going to happen now.

Amnorix
10-03-2011, 01:43 PM

This isn't an anti-KC conspiracy, it's a league-wide anti-grunts on the LOS conspiracy.

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I am not so sure he makes it. He has the records, but no championships yet. He'll most likely get in, but it won't be on his first try. I'd say at least 3-5 years depending on the competition.

lcarus
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I am not so sure he makes it. He has the records, but no championships yet. He'll most likely get in, but it won't be on his first try. I'd say at least 3-5 years depending on the competition.

Not sure he'll make it? It's guaranteed he will get in...

luv
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Would he have the records he does now had he played for a team that had more competent QBs? Tony is definitely clutch, but would he have been depended on as much had he played for a better team? Even if he wouldn't have had as many records had he played for someone else, would he have "the jewry" (quoting Shannon Sharpe) to compensate for the lack of records?

BryanBusby
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM

If Blob Gretz is trying to get him in, he probably won't be a first ballot.

Demonpenz
10-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I wonder what would have happened if he played with Grbac and Huard, Those dudes Locked on to him as their first and only option most the game. That is unless Andre Rison took a break from getting his house burned down by Left Eye Lopez to get open

suzzer99
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
If Blob Gretz is trying to get him in, he probably won't be a first ballot.

Well he'll still be a lot better than Albert Lewis, who no one is championing because he went to the Raiders.

Hootie
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
His records will be broken...we are about to enter the freakish TE's phase of the NFL...jimmy graham is exhibit A

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM

wrong

guaranteed 1st ballot

Hootie
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
That doesn't mean I don't think tony g is the best ever...I totally do...and in all honesty...his value will always be more than arenas and I like arenas

Hootie
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
And tony g is guaranteed 1st ballot...a TE has little control over being a winning team for crying out loud...yeah Shannon Sharpe was why denver won two rings! Jesus Christ on that lame ass shit...

luv
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
And tony g is guaranteed 1st ballot...a TE has little control over being a winning team for crying out loud...yeah Shannon Sharpe was why denver won two rings! Jesus Christ on that lame ass shit...

The only reason I brought up SS was because of the way he says jewelry. He was actually talking about Tony at the time. "He's got the records, but I've got the 'jewry'".

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Gates could still break his TD record. Doubt it though. Wouldn't surprise me too much to see Witten eventually pass him in receptions and yards, but we'll see. I think Gronkowski is gonna put up ridiculous numbers in these final 5-6 years of Brady's career. All I know is TG should retire 2nd all-time in receptions. That's insane.

Hootie
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
The only reason I brought up SS was because of the way he says jewelry. He was actually talking about Tony at the time. "He's got the records, but I've got the 'jewry'".

Because that's his only trump card to make any case over tony g...and let's be honest...Shannon Sharpe was the...6th best offensive player on those super bowl teams so hhahahaa

ThatRaceCardGuy
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Crickets

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2011, 07:37 PM
wrong

guaranteed 1st ballot

It depends on the competition, but without the hardware and he plays TE. I don't know man. I just don't think so.

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2011, 07:41 PM

The man has 3 rings, and he was instrumental in all 3 Super Bowl seasons and wins. Retired with the records and he still wasn't a first ballot HOFer. Maybe the competition has something to do with that. I doubt it. Because he's a TE.

I don't know why some are all sore about it. He's up there with Newsome, Winslow, and Sharpe.

Hootie
10-03-2011, 07:46 PM
The man has 3 rings, and he was instrumental in all 3 Super Bowl seasons and wins. Retired with the records and he still wasn't a first ballot HOFer. Maybe the competition has something to do with that. I doubt it. Because he's a TE.

I don't know why some are all sore about it. He's up there with Newsome, Winslow, and Sharpe.

sorry BRONCOS fan, Sharpe was never in the same class as Tony Gonzalez...

Gonzalez is going to retire with the 2nd most receptions of all time, and has shattered every single TE record ever...

So yeah, first ballot...Sharpe was a TE, he was never "instrumental" to his 3 Super Bowl teams...not Denver, not Baltimore...that is just downright funny.

He was a good complimentary piece...in Denver. In Baltimore he was a limp dick.

ThaVirus
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM
His records will be broken...we are about to enter the freakish TE's phase of the NFL...jimmy graham is exhibit A

We've been in the freak TE phase for a while now. Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow came before Graham and neither of them have been able to put up numbers like TG. You've got guys like Dustin Keller and Jermichael Finley too. Gates is the only one that's been able to put up similar numbers consistently (despite being injury prone).

Hootie
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
nah...we saw some freaks...but now the freaks are growing on trees

Hootie
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
pair that with the offensive explosion via the passing game...

Tony Gonzalez will have very breakable records...just like any receiver.

Shit, Welker might break Rice's yardage record THIS year and CJ looks like a lock to break Randy Moss' TD record...

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
sorry BRONCOS fan, Sharpe was never in the same class as Tony Gonzalez...

Gonzalez is going to retire with the 2nd most receptions of all time, and has shattered every single TE record ever...

So yeah, first ballot...Sharpe was a TE, he was never "instrumental" to his 3 Super Bowl teams...not Denver, not Baltimore...that is just downright funny.

He was a good complimentary piece...in Denver. In Baltimore he was a limp dick.

The. you don't know Sharpe's career. I also believe I've probably seen more Chiefs games than you to know the differences.

Backwards Masking
10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
This isn't an anti-KC conspiracy, it's a league-wide anti-grunts on the LOS conspiracy.

There's a lot of truth to this. Grunts don't make highlights and help sell the "product" nearly as much as the skill positions. Hell, the term "skill positions" degrades O linemen more than even "grunts" does.

Backwards Masking
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
...it's inevitable that in today's NFL somebody like Jimmy Graham is going to come through and shatter all of his records...but at least pull a Favre and make it hard on the new breed.

i think so too, Goodells continued pussification of the league makes it easier for the offenses to break records each and every year. Sad as that is for Gonzalez.

I was surprised Favre didn't come back, even as a back up, if for no other reason than to pad his stats. Why not? Pride? Everyone already thinks he's an overrated prima donna traitor, why not push the records a little higher and make a quick mil or 3 doing it? Plus it would have pissed everybody whos jealous of him off even more.

Dave Lane
10-03-2011, 10:30 PM

He didn't? That guy was a god at LT

Bump
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM

remember, DT wasn't a lock either. Nobody cares about the Chiefs and if Derrick God Damn Thomas isn't a first ballot HOF'er, then I don't know what is.

suzzer99
10-03-2011, 11:48 PM
He didn't? That guy was a god at LT

Nope. But he could go in with Shields, which would be awesome.

Mojo Jojo
10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
He will get in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame, but not first time up for vote. Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier and Buck Buchanan all had to wait and they were the greatest Chiefs ever and by most historians some of the greatest in football history because they changed the way the game was played.

Backwards Masking
10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
remember, DT wasn't a lock either. Nobody cares about the Chiefs and if Derrick God Damn Thomas isn't a first ballot HOF'er, then I don't know what is.

Guys like DT (the 2nd or 3rd best OLB in the history of the league) and Willie Roaf (the greatest run blcoking LT in the game) need to get the shaft the first time around so guys like Marshall Faulk (the 10-12th best RB) can get in first ballot. It's not like Faulk's 3 best years were inferior statistically compared to Priest Holmes best 3...oh wait...