PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink San Antonio places to eat?

tooge
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm going to San Antonio for some continuing education this weekend. We will be staying near the river walk area. Any good restaurant suggestions?

Bob Dole
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Durty Nellie's Irish Pub and just drink your dinner.

Phobia
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I always try to eat at Papadeaux when I get back to Texas. It's Cajun fare. They do a reasonably good job of it at a fair price and they are consistent. They should have one in San Antonio.

Bob Dole
10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Here's a blog of someone's culinary journey around San Antonio. http://eatsamore.com/

vailpass
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
The Blanco Cafe on St. Mary's is kick-ass mexican food, or it was when I was there 10 years ago. Kind of a must-eat-at for San Antone.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
El Milagrito looks good:

http://elmilagritocafe.com/Menu.html

Also, anything John Besh does is badass:
http://lukesanantonio.com/

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think theres a Papadeaux on the Riverwalk? I like Ritas on the River for Mexican and Lone Star cafe for steaks when I'm down there. There's also a new Brazilian steakhouse that's supposed to be good. fogo de Cho. Or something like that? Theres also Dicks if u want some place fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't think theres a Papadeaux on the Riverwalk? I like Ritas on the River for Mexican and Lone Star cafe for steaks when I'm down there. There's also a new Brazilian steakhouse that's supposed to be good. fogo de Cho. Or something like that? Theres also Dicks if u want some place fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chain restaurants?

Phobia
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I don't imagine there would be. They are usually around busy exits on the freeway.

We have a Fogo de Chao up here now. I can't imagine eating at one in San Antonio if he can get it in KC any time he wants.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Chain restaurants?

Just Fogo is a chain I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
10-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Chain restaurants?

I agree. If I lived in Texas, there would be half a dozen other cajun restaurants I'd recommend before Papadeaux. But they do a good job of appealing to the masses and they won't serve crap. It's a good, safe choice.

tooge
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone know about Rosarios?

Phobia
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Heh - they're all chains except Ritas.

vailpass
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Dick's Last Resort is chainville. Papadeaux is everywhere as well. Both good places though, just chainy.

vailpass
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I agree. If I lived in Texas, there would be half a dozen other cajun restaurants I'd recommend before Papadeaux. But they do a good job of appealing to the masses and they won't serve crap. It's a good, safe choice.

Agreed. Wife can't stand seafood places but she'll go to Papadeaux.

Phobia
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Anyone know about Rosarios?

No, but there's a Mexican spot on the Riverwalk that makes tableside guacamole. I recall it being very good.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Heh - they're all chains except Ritas.

heh, never knew Dicks and Lone Star was a chain. Sorry, im not much of a food connoisseur. : )

vailpass
10-04-2011, 11:03 AM
heh, never knew Dicks and Lone Star was a chain. Sorry, im not much of a food connoisseur. : )

Good chains though.

Bob Dole
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
No, but there's a Mexican spot on the Riverwalk that makes tableside guacamole. I recall it being very good.

Seems like The Original Mexican Restaurant does that, and the food was good and reasonably priced last time Bob Dole was there.

Paniero
10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Rosarios isn't bad, but there's a ton of Mexican places in SA to choose from. Chris Madrids has best cheeseburger in TX. 1 hour north near Austin is Salt Lick BBQ, which is a great place (although KC has better BBQ overall, Salt Lick can't be missed of you're that close).

tooge
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm leaning towards some good "authentic" mexican. You know, the kind where they don't put cheese and refried beans on everything.

vailpass
10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm leaning towards some good "authentic" mexican. You know, the kind where they don't put cheese and refried beans on everything.

The kind of place where they will ask you to leave if you order nachos.

Phobia
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Aint gonna be anything like that near the Riverwalk. You need to drive down into the Barrio for that.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Aint gonna be anything like that near the Riverwalk. You need to drive down into the Barrio for that.

yea, most of the stuff on the RW is commercialized with lots of chain stuff, some of which i mentioned earlier.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Mi Tierra Restaurant and Bakery is pretty good..its not right on the RW though.....a few blocks over.

http://www.mitierracafe.com/default.html

Alton deFlat
10-04-2011, 11:30 AM
My wife and I ate breakfast at this place, last year when we were there.

http://www.mrtimscountrykitchen.com/

While it's not on the River Walk, it is just a short drive if you have a car. I had the Huevos Rancheros.

We also ate at several places on the Riverwalk, including Michelino's and Lone Star Cafe. Both were pretty good.

tooge
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM

I'll probably avoid the barrio this time around. I've heard good things about Rosarios. I like places that make tableside guac, and usually if they do that, they don't suck. Wouldn't mind finding a great steak house either. We are there two days

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't mind finding a great steak house either.

Mortons is on the RW

http://www.mortons.com/sanantonio/

BUt i prefer Ruths Chris

http://www.ruthschris-sanantonio.com/

Yes, they are both chains, sorry...

Demonpenz
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
TODAY IS NATIONAL TACO DAY

DJJasonp
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
County Line BBQ - on the Riverwalk - is hands down the best BBQ i've ever had outside of KC....it's a real close 2nd place.

Good food.

DJJasonp
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
And by the way....good luck on the mexican food. I'm spoiled (live in so-cal)....but the mexican food in san antonio was primarily tex-mex (at least, around the riverwalk area).

I was underwhelmed for sure.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
And by the way....good luck on the mexican food. I'm spoiled (live in so-cal)....but the mexican food in san antonio was primarily tex-mex (at least, around the riverwalk area).

I was underwhelmed for sure.

I agree. I was really expecting to go down there and be blown away by "real" (whatever that means these days) Mexican food. It was almost all Tex Mex that I saw. Lots of protein X, rice, beans.

Fritz88
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Burger King.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Gigglepants
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Drive to Gruene, eat at the Gristmill, finish the night off at the Gruene Hall.

SCTrojan
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
The Blanco Cafe on St. Mary's is kick-ass mexican food, or it was when I was there 10 years ago. Kind of a must-eat-at for San Antone.

Absolutely. Green salsa is the best, and the tortillas are top-notch.

suzzer99
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
County Line BBQ - on the Riverwalk - is hands down the best BBQ i've ever had outside of KC....it's a real close 2nd place.

Good food.

If this is the only BBQ place on river walk then I agree. It was pretty good. I really liked the pinto beans and rice.

Pioli Zombie
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Maria's Twat.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Absolutely. Green salsa is the best, and the tortillas are top-notch.

That was the one thing that absolutely kicked ass in SA and stood out about the mexican food there. The homemade tortillas were just amazing. It was like when you get a big old plate of delicious rolls or biscuits and butter at the first of the meal... only they were tortillas.

Pioli Zombie
10-05-2011, 04:23 AM
That was the one thing that absolutely kicked ass in SA and stood out about the mexican food there. The homemade tortillas were just amazing. It was like when you get a big old plate of delicious rolls or biscuits and butter at the first of the meal... only they were tortillas.
Its like getting a big,sloppy, blow job from your stacked babysitter when you were ten...only different.

Phobia
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
If this is the only BBQ place on river walk then I agree. It was pretty good. I really liked the pinto beans and rice.

The best thing about county line is their sides. They serve some mushrooms that are very good.

Phobia
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I agree. I was really expecting to go down there and be blown away by "real" (whatever that means these days) Mexican food. It was almost all Tex Mex that I saw. Lots of protein X, rice, beans.

Yeah - the Riverwalk is pricey real estate. You're not gonna see any authentic Mexican there or anywhere nearby. You have to get in a car and drive to find something like that.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Every time I went to San Antone on bidness, I'd just get in the car and drive NE up to New Braunfels. German food + Texas food = a dandy combo. If you're driving around Texas, drive over to Round Top and eat @ Royer's Round Top Cafe.

http://www.royersroundtopcafe.com/

listopencil
10-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I knew a girl in San Antonio. She was fun to eat. Does that help?

DMAC
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ritas is good. Their salsa is very good. Eat outside...