PDA

View Full Version : Life Sooooo, i've got the arthritis......

cabletech94
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
.....and i want to jump off a cliff (but it'd hurt too much).

ice hurts. heat hurts. walking/breathing/eating. yep, it all hurts. it's in a knee that i probably screwed up years ago, just being a kid and all.

what do you, fellow planateers do to fix your pain.

no, can't smoke. what else ya got?

***edits***
i've lost 30 lbs since june, just eating healthier, watching what i eat, cutting carbs. been taking fish oil every night for 2 years (to help the heart and such).
i was given prednisone @ the doc the other day. still had pain and swelling went down. x-rays were negative, but did show small bit of arthritis in joint, but healthy bone etc. all advice has been greatly appreciated bros and hoes!!!!

BillSelfsTrophycase
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

ice hurts. heat hurts. walking/breathing/eating. yep, it all hurts. it's in a knee that i probably screwed up years ago, just being a kid and all.

Stick your penis in boiling water

I guarantee arthritis will be the last thing on your mind

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Eating and breathing hurts your knee? That's some serious shit.

Ming the Merciless
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I hate to be cliche, but you tried a couple hits of some body weed?

edit: i see ya cant smoke.......can you ingest?

some thc butter to make brownies or cookies or rice crispy treats m,ight help

HemiEd
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
This is the best remedy (http://www.jackdaniels.com/age.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f) that is legal.

threebag
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTngQ28nMuC2-onhLa2_lwtfLEixHE29KDqxbB0xmZSQN19bd0Z

Bugeater
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Hydrocodone.

kcxiv
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I have it in both knee's and i just turned 35. lol i had some health issues with my legs which is why i got it so early, it sux, but you learn to just live with it and bitch and moan every once in a while that they hurt.

Iowanian
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't have your problem, but do have some in my joints and back nothing I do anything about yet except ibuprofin, heating pads....

Some of the old timers I've been around have used WD 40 for arthritis in their hands.

Okie_Apparition
10-04-2011, 08:02 PM
try balancing a ouija board on it

splatbass
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
About a year ago I started getting pain in all of my joints. My right shoulder was the worst, the worst pain I've ever felt. But I also had so much pain in both knees that it was hard to get up out of a chair, and both hands that made it hard to even close my hands into fists. Since I'm a musician that really sucked. My feet and hips also hurt some of the time. After numerous xrays, an MRI, and blood tests over the course of 10 months they finally determined that I have rheumatoid arthritis. That sucks, but at least they have good treatments. After a month of prednisone and methotrexate I feel almost like my old self again. The prednisone is short term until the methotrexate takes full effect.

I tried all the home remedies I could find before they finally me put on the medications, and none of it worked very well. The thing that helped the most, and it was just by accident, was drinking alkaline water. A friend recommended it for heartburn, but I noticed after drinking it my joints felt much better. The guitar player in my band, who also had arthritis pain in his hands, tried it and it helped him too. Now other than a cup of coffee in the morning it is all I drink (ok, I still drink beer on occasion). Give it a try it might help.

You can also get a cortisone shot right in the joint that can help a lot for the short term.

Bane
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Jäger bombs.

chasedude
10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FQo5q_DTF4g/TiL3TG-aG8I/AAAAAAAACEY/ZFggx8iXQ_c/s1600/granny.jpg

Granny's Rheumatis medicine

Extra Point
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately, opium and ginger are your best paths, so says a friend.

RealSNR
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
My mom used to use stuff like Celebrex. She said that worked pretty well.

No idea what she does now. She has fibromayalgia, not arthiritis. So not much works.

Extra Point
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
About a year ago I started getting pain in all of my joints. My right shoulder was the worst, the worst pain I've ever felt. But I also had so much pain in both knees that it was hard to get up out of a chair, and both hands that made it hard to even close my hands into fists. Since I'm a musician that really sucked. My feet and hips also hurt some of the time. After numerous xrays, an MRI, and blood tests over the course of 10 months they finally determined that I have rheumatoid arthritis. That sucks, but at least they have good treatments. After a month of prednisone and methotrexate I feel almost like my old self again. The prednisone is short term until the methotrexate takes full effect.

I tried all the home remedies I could find before they finally me put on the medications, and none of it worked very well. The thing that helped the most, and it was just by accident, was drinking alkaline water. A friend recommended it for heartburn, but I noticed after drinking it my joints felt much better. The guitar player in my band, who also had arthritis pain in his hands, tried it and it helped him too. Now other than a cup of coffee in the morning it is all I drink (ok, I still drink beer on occasion). Give it a try it might help.

You can also get a cortisone shot right in the joint that can help a lot for the short term.

Is there a trade name for the alkaline water?

BigOlChiefsfan
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Arthritis is an 'inflammation' disease, so long term, you can do yourself some good by following an anti-inflammatory diet (google it, I like Dr. Weil as a big proponent). I have friends who've had pretty good relief from changing their diet as per above, and then taking about 6 fish oil caps a day, they claim the fish oil 'lubricates' their achy joints - I don't have this particular malady, but I try to pay attention when someone has a good cheap fix for anything that might hit me someday.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health

splatbass
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Is there a trade name for the alkaline water?

There are several brands available at health food stores and places like Whole Foods. My favorite is Essentia, which has a PH of 9.5.

http://www.essentiawater.com/

Here in Hawaii you can get another brand (I can't think of the name right now) at 7-11 that has a PH of 9. Any bottled water with a PH of 8.0 or higher will do.

You can also spend a lot of money on a Kangen water filter, but I don't have that kind of money.

What I use, so I don't have to buy bottled water all the time, is use a portable filter made by Diamond Tree called the Gratitude. It is about the size of a thermos. You fill it with water and wait 20 minutes. Almost everyone I work with has one.

http://diamondtreeonline.com/2010/index.php

splatbass
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Arthritis is an 'inflammation' disease, so long term, you can do yourself some good by following an anti-inflammatory diet (google it, I like Dr. Weil as a big proponent). I have friends who've had pretty good relief from changing their diet as per above, and then taking about 6 fish oil caps a day, they claim the fish oil 'lubricates' their achy joints - I don't have this particular malady, but I try to pay attention when someone has a good cheap fix for anything that might hit me someday.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health

Fish oil didn't help my arthritis, but it did lower my triglycerides so it was still a good thing to do.

whoman69
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know your specific situation but weight loss and exercise can help. Swimming and weight lifting should be a good combination. If you don't use the muscles your problems will only get worse.

splatbass
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't know your specific situation but weight loss and exercise can help. Swimming and weight lifting should be a good combination. If you don't use the muscles your problems will only get worse.

Physical therapy can help. The proper exercise designed specifically to strengthen the joint muscles for arthritis does help. The wrong exercise can make it worse. Swimming is good, but weight lifting could be bad unless it is well designed. I went twice a week for a month and had some good results. Then you have to keep up with the exercises afterward.

Johnny Vegas
10-04-2011, 09:36 PM
shot of cortisone in the knee did the trick for my mom.

tramadol is a good pain killer

celebrex is awesome but pricey

DRU
10-05-2011, 04:49 AM
I hate to be cliche, but you tried a couple hits of some body weed?

edit: i see ya cant smoke.......can you ingest?

some thc butter to make brownies or cookies or rice crispy treats m,ight help

I second this notion. It'll do the same thing for you (may work even better) as all the other crap out there and you can simply add butter or oil into your regular meals that you cook and you're set.

Buck
10-05-2011, 05:01 AM
I have about 30 celebrex in the sample packs that doctors give you if you want to try them to see if they help. I can mail them to you. Let me know.

dannybcaitlyn
10-05-2011, 05:48 AM

Get an Xray done. They can see if your bone on bone or have signs of osteoarthritis. I thought I had arthritis in my knee but end up being a torn meniscus in my knee. My knee pain was off and on for about a year or so. Then it started bothering everyday. Tear was getting larger. I went to a sports medicine doc where he did an Xray, joints looked good, he ordered an MRI and end up finding the tear.

bevischief
10-05-2011, 05:54 AM
shot of cortisone in the knee did the trick for my mom.

tramadol is a good pain killer

celebrex is awesome but pricey

They took celebrex off the market.

Dragonocho
10-05-2011, 06:42 AM
take chopper's advice (nsfw-language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

penguinz
10-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Turmeric Extract has helped me quite a bit.

seclark
10-05-2011, 06:57 AM
i've got it in both knees. swimming seems to help me. swim 3/4of a mile to a mile, 3 times a week.

ernie swears on horse liniment:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-22402&tid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=88&zmap=X1-22402&gclid=CLXUqYLL0asCFcTrKgodDSqZ4A

sec

dannybcaitlyn
10-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Its still on the market. I just had mine refilled recently.

splatbass
10-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Funny, my doctor just offered it to me about a month ago. You must be thinking of something else.

Iowanian
10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I was on Celebrex a few years ago and there was a stink and it was taken off the market, at least for a while. It's obviously back on the market again.

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 12:52 PM
There are several brands available at health food stores and places like Whole Foods. My favorite is Essentia, which has a PH of 9.5.

http://www.essentiawater.com/

Here in Hawaii you can get another brand (I can't think of the name right now) at 7-11 that has a PH of 9. Any bottled water with a PH of 8.0 or higher will do.

You can also spend a lot of money on a Kangen water filter, but I don't have that kind of money.

What I use, so I don't have to buy bottled water all the time, is use a portable filter made by Diamond Tree called the Gratitude. It is about the size of a thermos. You fill it with water and wait 20 minutes. Almost everyone I work with has one.

http://diamondtreeonline.com/2010/index.php
I wondered if you weren't referring to the Kangen water system. We had a presentation on that recently, and they brought us water for a couple weeks.
You are right, I think they wanted over $4k for the system.

tooge
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I've got a shoulder that gives me fits. I take Meloxicam every day. Trade name is Mobic. It is great, and it is the type of anti-inflamitory drug that doesn't jack with your stomach. I highly recommend it. It is an Rx, so you will have to see doc first.

cabletech94
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
BUMP

got in to a sports med doc today.
lateral torn meniscus. scheduled MRI to determine severity, next course of treatment.
thanks for your advices. gonna edit the OP a bit, just to tell you all a little about me.
thanks planeteers, your the best! REP to all! (except for the dick in boiling water approach, that shit hurts)

BigOlChiefsfan
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Good! Be well.

royr17
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
BUMP

lateral torn meniscus. scheduled MRI to determine severity, next course of treatment.
thanks for your advices. gonna edit the OP a bit, just to tell you all a little about me.
thanks planeteers, your the best! REP to all! (except for the dick in boiling water approach, that shit hurts)

dont know whats wrong with me, but i have been having some pretty bad pain in my wrist here lately. went to the doc and they scheduled an x-ray, everything came back fine, but the pain is still there and wont go away, now its starting to move towards my thumb too. any way i move my wrist it hurts, i have a wrist brace to try to help it, but it doesnt really help.

all i know if i sure as hell hope that i dont have arthritis. i injured my left wrist golfing back in 2004 and hasnt really bothered me until here recently, so i dont have a clue to what the problem could be.

Iowanian
10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Stop jacking it like it's your job, III

Johnny Vegas
10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
dont know whats wrong with me, but i have been having some pretty bad pain in my wrist here lately. went to the doc and they scheduled an x-ray, everything came back fine, but the pain is still there and wont go away, now its starting to move towards my thumb too. any way i move my wrist it hurts, i have a wrist brace to try to help it, but it doesnt really help.

all i know if i sure as hell hope that i dont have arthritis. i injured my left wrist golfing back in 2004 and hasnt really bothered me until here recently, so i dont have a clue to what the problem could be.

tendonitis?

cabletech94
10-06-2011, 03:40 PM
tendonitis?

carpel tunnel?

i hope that it's neither.

get your ass to a doc! STAT

mlyonsd
10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
BUMP

thanks planeteers, your the best! REP to all! (except for the dick in boiling water approach, that shit hurts)I had the same thing two years ago. When the orhto doc went in to clean things up he found I also had level 3 arthritis on a scale of 1-4. Told me if I didn't quit running I'd be back in some day to have the knee replaced.

Have a nice day.;)

royr17
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
carpel tunnel?

i hope that it's neither.

get your ass to a doc! STAT

i have an appointment to meet with the doc again in 2 weeks.

cabletech94
10-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I had the same thing two years ago. When the orhto doc went in to clean things up he found I also had level 3 arthritis on a scale of 1-4. Told me if I didn't quit running I'd be back in some day to have the knee replaced.

Have a nice day.;)

well, i haven't really ran since h.s. football/baseball, so that won't be a deal for me. but the x-ray i had said "minor" arthritis. if it was a "minor" attack, i sure as hell don't wanna see a "major".

cabletech94
10-06-2011, 05:50 PM
i have an appointment to meet with the doc again in 2 weeks.

good. best of luck to you, SIR.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Does this all mean you won't be starting this week cabletech? I hope you can at least come off the bench.

penguinz
10-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I had the same thing two years ago. When the orhto doc went in to clean things up he found I also had level 3 arthritis on a scale of 1-4. Told me if I didn't quit running I'd be back in some day to have the knee replaced.

Have a nice day.;)I have been told the same thing. My knee is arthritic enough that touching it in the right spot makes my eyes start watering.

I still run 10+ miles a week.

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
http://thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/pax_panel_saw.jpg

Dave Lane
10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
My knee is feeling it too