PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel vs Haley - What the camera didn't show

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Interesting note from a fan.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/10/4/2467556/cassel-vs-haley-what-the-camera-didnt-show

Since my seat is on the visitor side of the stadium, I have a great view of the Chiefs bench. I saw the shouting and shoving and grabbed my binoculars to get a better view. I decide to follow the QB activity to see if a Palko sighting is forthcoming. Now, in the immortal words of Paul Harvey, let me tell you "the rest of the story".

Todd Haley turns away from Cassel and gets back to the game as the team is lining up for the field goal. Several teammates attempt to calm Cassel down and he mumbles and grumbles his way over to the bench where he immediately starts looking at the latest formation pictures along with backup QB Tyler Palko. One of the assistant coaches is also involved going over the pages.

And then...Todd Haley casually walks over in front of Matt Cassel and kneels down to be on the same eye level as Matt and calmly begins coaching his quarterback. No shouting. No anger. Cassel calmly listening and replying to comments from his head coach. Several times, I see Coach Haley using his hands to indicate how the play was developing and it was apparent he was trying to explain to Matt how to read the movements through a busted play to achieve better success. This happened no less than 60 seconds after the televised shouting match.

I wish I had a video camera of the whole scene. In replaying the sequence of events in my mind, I think I know what happened...don't know for sure...more of a guess really. I think the 3rd and goal play was developing so similarly to the final screwed up KC play in San Diego last week that Matt Cassel simply panicked and threw it straight into the dirt. As Matt returned to the sidelines, I suspect Haley rubbed a little too much salt into the wound and Cassel snapped. Cassel clearly required a lot more attention to get his head back to the task at hand because I counted at least 3 different teammates calming him down as he walked away from shouting with Haley.

I also think Haley quickly realized that he couldn't allow his passion to stand in the way of being the coach of his quarterback. He went over and calmly helped his quarterback believe that he could be better.

lcarus
10-05-2011, 12:09 AM
It's just like Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston. They always focus on the malicious beatings, but never mention the sweet caressing and lovemaking after a feast of linguini and clams and an eight thousand dollar bottle of bubbly.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Interesting

yeti
10-05-2011, 12:13 AM
helped his quarterback believe that he could be better

Fans will believe anything these days.

yeti
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Fans will believe anything these days.

ahem.....true fans

Fritz88
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Ewwwww how cute
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
10-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Haley seemingly has taken the gloves off with Cassel.

Here is an exert from his postgame:

Q: What did you see in Matt Cassel’s game that was different allowed him to turn it on after your sideline argument?

HALEY: “I think Matt is no different really than everybody else on this team. We’ve just got to make sure that we keep getting better. He did some things in the game that he probably can’t do and won’t get away with and then he did some things the way that he has to do them and generally those were pretty good plays. With Matt, he’s got to stay on top of the little things that he knows that maybe give him problems or put him in a lesser position to succeed and I don’t think a lot of it has to do with sideline anything. I just think it has to do with making sure that those things don’t happen with him and when they don’t happen he’s a pretty good quarterback.”

Q: When you say things he can and can’t do, things he can/can’t get away with, what do you mean by that?

HALEY: “Well, I’m not going to get into specifics, but there are some clear-cut things that we work on and have been working on for a number of years here and they say old habits never die. We’re just trying to make sure we stay on top of him with those certain things that have a direct outcome in how he generally plays in the passing game.”

I bet Haley was tired as shit of the deep ball being there and Cassel thinking its ok to always throw it away instead of "taking what the defense is giving him"

That's probably why Haley called him a pussy. Cassel seems to give up on a play way too early and is totally content with always taking the checkdown.

Bane
10-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Awww well share a cup cake motherfuckers!!!

lcarus
10-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Sadly Cassel can be better. We could have had another 4 or 5 field goals in that game if he'd just pull his hat out of his ass.

Bane
10-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Oh how I long for the days of Holmes and Blaylock rushing for 8tds.....

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Oh how I long for the days of Holmes and Blaylock rushing for 8tds.....

You long for the days of 7-9 seasons??

Carlota69
10-05-2011, 06:37 AM
It's just like Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston. They always focus on the malicious beatings, but never mention the sweet caressing and lovemaking after a feast of linguini and clams and an eight thousand dollar bottle of bubbly.
ROFL

rageeumr
10-05-2011, 06:59 AM
It's just like Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston. They always focus on the malicious beatings, but never mention the sweet caressing and lovemaking after a feast of crack.

FYP

Okie_Apparition
10-05-2011, 07:06 AM
You can't have Stanzi as #2. With Palko's fail as an only option. It keeps you from getting pissed & saying enough is enough. There has to be no amount of doubt left Cassel is not the answer. Or he'll be back next season

CoMoChief
10-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Yeah because offense was CLEARLY the issue then.....we just scored WAAAAAAY too fast.

Dumbass ....

milkman
10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeah because offense was CLEARLY the issue then.....we just scored WAAAAAAY too fast.

Dumbass ....

Those teams, regardless which unit was responsible for failure, went to the playoffs once in 4 season, and failed to win a playoff game.

Longing for the day of mediocrity is stupidity defined.

I long for the days of Lenny and Willie.

I miss great players like DT and Priest, but have no desire to return to those days.

Bob Dole
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Haley has said a number of times that the give-and-take shouting is part of his coaching style, and he doesn't expect to yell at people without them shouting back. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Haley has said a number of times that the give-and-take shouting is part of his coaching style, and he doesn't expect to yell at people without them shouting back. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

I agree....theres alot of guys that come to his defense.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/04/3187739/todd-haley-uses-maddening-methods.html

suzzer99
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM

POTY

suzzer99
10-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Those teams, regardless which unit was responsible for failure, went to the playoffs once in 4 season, and failed to win a playoff game.

I miss great players like DT and Priest, but have no desire to return to those days.

I'd take the Chiefs 90s over about 95% of NFL team decades.

Would I take the 00s over the 90s with a superbowl win in '03 and everything else the same? Interesting question...

loochy
10-05-2011, 08:35 AM
POTY

POTTY

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/1647913_2896703_mywrite/110_1_110_1_00171_main.jpg

DJ's left nut
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
That's exactly right.

I actually thought Haley was sitting next to him on the bench, but it was maybe another minute before Haley went over to Cassel and they just started discussing the play in a pretty cordial manner.

It happens.

milkman
10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
I'd take the Chiefs 90s over about 95% of NFL team decades.

Would I take the 00s over the 90s with a superbowl win in '03 and everything else the same? Interesting question...

Chiefs of the 90s.

3 playoff wins, but not 1 of them after '93.

Whether you sucked out loud or were simply at the top of the pile of mediocrity makes little difference.

You still failed.

Okie_Apparition
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
It's clear Haley is a republican that will not get a fair shake in the liberal media

loochy
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
That warms my heart.

Bane
10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Oh not really.I guess I was thinking if our backs could score 8tds that maybe it would distract me from how much our QB sucks.

CoMoChief
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM

If those defenses were top 20 we'd be involved in multiple playoff appearances under DV. Instead they were historically bad.

Furthermore...u were responding to a post that was talking about our offensive dominance at the time...there were many reasons why we ended up 7 n 9. Scoring at will wasn't one of them.

Demonpenz
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I was on the 50 yard line on that side and Haley shouted "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! It's THE FUCKING CATALINA WINE MIXER!"

milkman
10-05-2011, 09:10 AM
If those defenses were top 20 we'd be involved in multiple playoff appearances under DV. Instead they were historically bad.

If your mother had swallowed, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I don't give a rat's ass why they were mediocre, the fact remains that they were a mediocre, to bad, teams.

I don't long for mediocrity.

Otter
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
These guys have been working together for three years. It's not like their still getting a feel for another and a '**** off asshole' and a return insult to blow off some steam is a bad thing. Imagine if there was a camera on you and your wife/boss/kids/ 24/7.

The coolest boss I ever had in the world (retired 4 months ago) would always blow off steam and yell 'what the **** you doing dumbass' and I'd yell something in return. It's cathartic when you're together under pressure and together all day. Then we would be on the deck eating wings and drinking beer almost every Friday. It's what helped keep us sane.

Some of you blow this stuff way out proportion and would be in the corner crying if you worked with our group.

MTG#10
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh not really.I guess I was thinking if our backs could score 8tds that maybe it would distract me from how much our QB sucks.

That Atlanta game you're referring to was when Green was our QB. He was the best QB we've had since Montana. If I'm misunderstanding your point I apologize.

MahiMike
10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Juicy

brorth
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I was on the 50 yard line on that side and Haley shouted "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! It's THE FUCKING CATALINA WINE MIXER!"

Fucking Catalina Wine Mixer.

whoman69
10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Vermeil had a winning record here. This crap about how Vermeil ran the team into the ground are just that. Herm came in here with a promise the defense would get better. It didn't but the offensive wheels fell off. Vermeil wanted to score on every drive, which meant he got more 3 and outs which could have kept his offense on the field longer. Herm just didn't want his team offense to make mistakes so he didn't care about 3 and outs, which is what he got all the time. If it was 3rd and 8 with Herm you could count on the draw play.

frankotank
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H-WoRcYfP1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Vermeil had a winning record here. This crap about how Vermeil ran the team into the ground are just that. Herm came in here with a promise the defense would get better. It didn't but the offensive wheels fell off. Vermeil wanted to score on every drive, which meant he got more 3 and outs which could have kept his offense on the field longer. Herm just didn't want his team offense to make mistakes so he didn't care about 3 and outs, which is what he got all the time. If it was 3rd and 8 with Herm you could count on the draw play.

Vermiels teams were fun to watch, but ultimately alot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

gblowfish
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
The guy who wrote this is right. I saw the same thing from my seats. Haley did go over once the photos came down. Both sides were back to being calm about three or four minutes after the initial confrontation.

Iowanian
10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Shit happens.

Friday night I came as close as I have since I was 18 to getting into a fist fight with my brother and saturday morning I was helping him buy a farm.

Men walk it off.

suzzer99
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Chiefs of the 90s.

3 playoff wins, but not 1 of them after '93.

Whether you sucked out loud or were simply at the top of the pile of mediocrity makes little difference.

You still failed.

The question is would you rather have the 90s, where we make the playoffs almost every year with a dominating fun defense, and have a bunch of exciting games but heartbreaking losses - or the (enhanced) 2000s, with lots of pathetic painful defenses to watch, but one good year in which we win the super bowl.

I guess 2000s. But it makes me wonder where I'd draw the line. If the 90s had s superbowl appearance but no win, I'd probably go back to that.

whoman69
10-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Vermiels teams were fun to watch, but ultimately alot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Its better than nauseous, which is what Herm and Check Down make me. Why can't we get a coach that can put it all together? Why can't we get our own QB instead of yesterday's franchise or the latest up and coming backup?

milkman
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
The question is would you rather have the 90s, where we make the playoffs almost every year with a dominating fun defense, and have a bunch of exciting games but heartbreaking losses - or the (enhanced) 2000s, with lots of pathetic painful defenses to watch, but one good year in which we win the super bowl.

I guess 2000s. But it makes me wonder where I'd draw the line. If the 90s had s superbowl appearance but no win, I'd probably go back to that.

If.
If.
If.

I don't want Dick.
I don't want Marty.

I want a team that has the tools to compete.

I want a top 10 defense, a franchise QB, and a coach that can lead them to the SB.

chiefzilla1501
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM

I still contend to this day that the problems with the offense under Herm were largely because they hired an OC that wasn't ready for the job. Remember that Herm led an open offense when he worked with both Heimidinger and Chan Gailey.

Herm wasn't a good coach. But I believe Peterson hamstrung him by hiring his cronies to coordinate the offense/defense instead of opening up the process. And Vermeil/Peterson most definitely hamstrung him by handing him the oldest roster in football and drafting less than a handful of young guys during that time that had any kind of long-term future with the Chiefs.

Any coach hired after the Vermeil era would have failed miserably.

Marcellus
10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Shit happens.

Friday night I came as close as I have since I was 18 to getting into a fist fight with my brother and saturday morning I was helping him buy a farm.

Men walk it off.

Interesting how you make "buying the farm" sound like a positive.

You may want to delete your post in case the police start snooping around.

There is motive and evidence of a crime in one post.

:hmmm::)

whoman69
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I still contend to this day that the problems with the offense under Herm were largely because they hired an OC that wasn't ready for the job. Remember that Herm led an open offense when he worked with both Heimidinger and Chan Gailey.

Herm wasn't a good coach. But I believe Peterson hamstrung him by hiring his cronies to coordinate the offense/defense instead of opening up the process. And Vermeil/Peterson most definitely hamstrung him by handing him the oldest roster in football and drafting less than a handful of young guys during that time that had any kind of long-term future with the Chiefs.

Any coach hired after the Vermeil era would have failed miserably.

I think in part that was right with Solari but Herm was part of that as well. In an early preseason game Herm ripped Solari a new one for taking a shot down the field instead of playing it safe and making sure they got a FG. On the pass play they took a penalty which took them out of range. He made it clear that the 70s offense was the way to go. Solari was running the offense the way Herm wanted it run, three yards and a cloud of dust. The offense was still horrible the next year after Solari left.

I believe the only reason Herm switched when Thigpen went in was he had to. Thigpen could not run a pro style offense and proved it in the previous week. We had absolutely no offense up to that point. Damon Huard was the perfect QB for Herm because he wouldn't take a chance downfield. Cassel is the same way. Herm probably loves Cassel. Herm was conservative to a fault. He would rather give up on 3rd and 8 than to risk a mistake. Draw play.

We were old Herm took over not because Vermeil chose it, its because Peterson couldn't draft to save his life. CP didn't have success because he always went for a reach in the 2nd round when real players were still to be had. I think Herm was able to get him away from that (the only positive I can think of for him). You can't win constantly going with players like Junior Siavii, Kris Wilson, Kawika Mitchell, Eddie Freeman. Let's not forget he gave up the top two choices to get Vermeil and Green. In the following year we only had 5 picks. Twice we didn't even have a 1st rounder. We drafted how many bust DTs? That's not Vermeil, its CP, or if you're being generous it was due to the fact GRob couldn't bring out the best in anyone.

BoneKrusher
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM

I want a top 10 defense, a franchise QB, and a coach that can lead them to the SB.

this is what i want as well.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
What does this have to do with th fact that Cassel Sucks ?

Imon Yourside
10-05-2011, 09:46 PM
What does this have to do with th fact that Cassel Sucks ?

I agree let the dead bury the dead.

suzzer99
10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
If.
If.
If.

I don't want Dick.
I don't want Marty.

You must have been a lot of fun to play games with as a Dad. No kids, this is just monopoly money, settle down. Oooh you built a hotel. Hope you like it because you'll be lucky to see half this much money or build anything in your entire life. Now go to bed!

MattCassel
10-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Okay I'm here to set the record straight. What really happened was that Haley was on his period Sunday and asked me to get him a new tampon for his Vag. I told him to fuck off and make Stanzi do it. Pce.

MattCastrated
10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
And I feel much better after my operation.

MattCassel
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
And I feel much better after my operation.

Yes, that as well. I almost forgot about that fat fuck that fell on me and almost killed me. Thank you very much Matt!

BossChief
10-06-2011, 12:18 AM
hi joey

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 12:24 AM

Belicheck has made people cry while yelling at them in front of their teamates in meetings. Vrabel was one of them.

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 12:28 AM
If.
If.
If.

I don't want Dick.
I don't want Marty.

Say Hallelujah!!!