ShowtimeSBMVP
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
juliekellogg Julie Breithaupt
(AP) -- Apple says Steve Jobs has died.

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

kstater
10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Found pics of his casket.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8_2GH_GJdj8/TT3sdBB21FI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/JXBxeWRJlOQ/s220/Casket%2BIphone.jpg

Only $600 more than your average casket.

The Franchise
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Holy shit.

pr_capone
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/09/steve-jobs-apple-ex-ceo-health-whats-trending-cbs-tweet-death-rumor-accident-apology-dying-dead-resignswas-dead/#.Tozrw2V9tI4

So far, being reported as false.

Bane
No app for that?

Buck
Good timing.

niblet
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
At least it wasn't a virus.

TinyEvel
This has to be iphone4S hater prank

ShowtimeSBMVP
http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/09/steve-jobs-apple-ex-ceo-health-whats-trending-cbs-tweet-death-rumor-accident-apology-dying-dead-resignswas-dead/#.Tozrw2V9tI4

So far, being reported as false.

Go to cnn or fox news its all over it.

JBucc

So far, being reported as false.http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

chefsos
KTLA News
6:41 p.m. CDT, October 5, 2011

CUPERTINO, Calif. -- Apple announced Wednesday that former Apple CEO Steve Jobs has died.

The board of directors named Tim Cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer, as the company's new CEO.

Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the board, effective immediately.WTF is this? Did they just substitute "died" for "retired" and reprint the story?

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktla-apple-steve-jobs-dies,0,3239023.story

Shogun
10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
whoa guys, i own a iphone and a macbook pro this is all way too soon for me

banyon
Apple Visionary Steve Jobs Dies At 56

by Laura Sydell

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/21/jobswhiteiphone_8484571_custom.jpg?t=1316632568&s=4
October 5, 2011

Steve Jobs — the man who brought us the iPhone, the iPod and the iMac — has died. The co-founder of Apple was 56 years old. Jobs had been battling a rare form of pancreatic cancer for years.

"It boggles the mind to think of all the things that Steve Jobs did," says Silicon Valley venture capitalist Roger McNamee, who worked with Jobs.

McNamee says that in addition to introducing us to desktop publishing and computer animated movies, Jobs should be credited with creating the first commercially successful computer.

"Any one of those would have qualified him as one of the great executives in American history," McNamee says, "the sum of which put him in a place where no one else has ever been before. To me he is of his era what Thomas Edison was to the beginning of the 20th century."

Jobs was just 21 when he co-founded Apple Computer in his garage in Cupertino, Calif., in 1976. The following year, when Jobs and his partner, Steve Wozniak, released the compact Apple II, most computers were big enough to fill a university basement or came from do-it-yourself kits for hobbyists with soldering irons.
Steve Jobs
Technology
Steve Jobs, The Man At Apple's Core

With sound and cutting-edge color graphics, Apple II was the first blockbuster desktop computer. Users could hook it up to their TV sets to play games, and its spreadsheet program made it popular with small businesses.

"It made Apple the biggest computer manufacturer in the nascent computer industry," says Leander Kahney, author of Inside Steve's Brain.

But in 1981, Apple got its first taste of serious competition, when IBM released its own personal computer. IBM had the advantage of a well-known, trusted name, and Jobs — a California boy — loathed the kind of conformist East Coast culture it represented.

So he countered with the Macintosh, the first computer to feature a mouse, pull-down menus and icons — thus eliminating the command-line interface.

"Jobs' idea was that we'll make it easy enough that anybody can do it ... a grandmother, a kid, people who don't have any experience," Kahney says. The Mac was an example of the kind of product that would come to define Jobs' entire career: easy-to-use computers.

That's the message Jobs sent to millions when he released the Mac in 1984. In an ad that aired once during the Super Bowl, a woman dressed in brightly colored shorts runs into a room of gray-looking people and throws a sledgehammer at a screen where Big Brother — read IBM — is talking. The minute-long reference to George Orwell's 1984 became one of the most famous television commercials of all time.
Jobs leans on the new Macintosh personal computer following a shareholder's meeting in Cupertino, Ca., in 1984.
Paul Sakuma/AP

Jobs leans on the new Macintosh personal computer following a shareholder's meeting in Cupertino, Ca., in 1984.

It also illustrated Jobs' belief that computers were tools to unleash human creativity. In an interview for the 1996 PBS documentary Triumph of the Nerds, Jobs said, "Part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

In many ways Jobs was the poet of the computer world. He'd gone to India and become a Buddhist. He took LSD and believed it had opened his mind to new ways of thinking.

But Jobs' iconoclastic ideals did not always make him easy to work with.

"He was just a terrible manager and a terrible executive," says Trip Hawkins, the marketing director of Apple until 1982. "At that point in time I never really thought that he could be a CEO."

Jobs was eventually fired in a 1985 boardroom coup led by John Sculley — the man Jobs himself had hired to be CEO of Apple. But Jobs was driven to make computers vehicles for creativity, and after he left Apple, he purchased a little-known division of Lucas film and renamed it Pixar.

In 1995, Pixar released the first animated feature to be done entirely on computers. That film, Toy Story, was a huge success, and Pixar followed it with other big hits including Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

But Apple didn't exactly thrive in the years after Jobs' departure. With less than 5 percent of the computer market in its possession and analysts predicting the company's demise, the board invited Jobs to come back and run his old business.

In 1998, as interim CEO of Apple, Jobs introduced the iMac and once again helped remake the computer industry. According to venture capitalist McNamee, the iMac was the first computer made to harness the creative potential of the Internet.

"The iMac reflected the transition of consumers from passive consumption of content to active creation of entertainment," McNamee says. "People could write their own blogs, make their own digital photographs and make their own movies. Apple made all the tools to make that easy and they did at a time when Microsoft just wasn't paying attention."

Three years after the iMac, Jobs announced Apple's expansion into the music industry with a breakthrough MP3 player — the iPod.

"This is not a speculative market," he said as he introduced the iPod in 2001. "It's a part of everyone's life. It's a very large target market all around the world."

The iPod was a classic Jobs product — easy to use and nice to look at. Apple sold tens of millions of iPods, and the iTunes store became the No. 1 music retailer.

Six years later, Apple released the iPhone — a device whose elegance and user friendliness blew other phone/music players out of the water.

In 2010, Apple created yet another groundbreaking device with the introduction of the iPad. With its color touch-screen, the tablet gave users the ability to surf the Web, send e-mail, watch videos and read e-books.

Book publishers weren't the only ones to embrace the new tablet. A host of magazines, newspapers and broadcast news organizations, including The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and NPR, created iPad-specific apps that helped showcase stories — and images — in a tabloid-style layout.

And in January 2011, Apple reached a milestone by surpassing 10 billion downloads from its App Store — a sign of just how popular the company's devices have become with consumers.

"Simplifying complexity is not simple," says Susan Rockrise, a creative director who worked with Jobs. "It is the greatest, greatest gift to have someone who has Steve's capabilities as an editor and a product designer edit the crap away so that you can focus on what you want to do."

Rockrise believes Jobs touched pretty much anyone who has ever clicked a mouse, sent a photo over the Internet, published a book from a home computer or enjoyed portable music or a computer-animated movie.

She says they all have Jobs to thank for making it happen.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/05/123826622/apple-visionary-steve-jobs-dies-at-56

evolve27
Sad.

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Fuck damn good dude. Funnier than shit on the phone. Even before he had a iPhone. Fucking brilliant guy.

Shogun
He really must have hated the Iphone 4s idea

lcarus
I'm setting the ringtone on my iphone to Kumbaya.

kcxiv
10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
F@@K Cancer!

Shogun
10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
FakeBibleVerse Jesus H. Christ I just wanted Steve Jobs up here so I could get the iPhone 5 before y'all mothafuckas.

rip though, srs

MahiMike
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow, that'll make this release the most expensive collector's item ever!

kstater
10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Introducing the iCostume:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxlYiiETWtWADQ6DsJkM8SVOHBCHk-yBI1-LvUiJo8VKJZGRlB

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow....RIP....a true visionary

Fritz88
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Big big loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
PC GAMING MASTER RACE

KCFalcon59
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
R.I.P.

56 is way too young to die.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
The biggest scam artist the world has ever known.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Says the 30 year old guy who sits at home all day and does nothing with his life.

Stanley Nickels
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Bummer. I met him once; intense dude. Never gave off the douchey vibe, mostly just very, very intense.

Bane
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Matt Cassel.

griZZly64
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
One less greedy motherfucker. Maybe more of them will pass so they can quit hoardin all the money.

MMXcalibur
10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeez....that's a shocker. They come in threes, right? Bill Gates' bodyguards are on 24/7 watch right now.

Crush
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Jeez....that's a shocker. They come in threes, right? Bill Gates' bodyguards are on 24/7 watch right now.

Balmer is the one that should be worried.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Says the 30 year old guy who sits at home all day and does nothing with his life.

At least I'm still alive.

SUCK IT, JOBS!

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Bummer. I met him once; intense dude. Never gave off the douchey vibe, mostly just very, very intense.

Yeah he was but he could relax and be funny as crap. He was always the smartest guy in room even when Gates was in the room.

Iowanian
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
iRIP

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
After iTunes, this was karma coming for you, jobs.

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
One less greedy mother****er. Maybe more of them will pass so they can quit hoardin all the money.

Dumbass.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm going to find his grave and spray paint the windows logo on it.

CosmicPal
10-05-2011, 06:15 PM

ROFL

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
lol, they requested moments of silence at apple stores

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
One less greedy mother****er. Maybe more of them will pass so they can quit hoardin all the money.

- rep

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 06:25 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/owtDRurjg6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I switched from being alive to being dead because it just works. You don't have to go to work, you don't have to worry about computer crashes, and you don't even have to breathe. It's just the best thing ever. It really is.

I'm Steve Jobs, and I'm a corpse

CosmicPal
10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Whether you like him or not, he did beget a profound commencement speech back in 2005. I've kept the video bookmarked because it's about living each day as though it is your last. That was a powerful motivator for him.

http://youtu.be/D1R-jKKp3NA

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/owtDRurjg6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I switched from being alive to being dead because it just works. You don't have to go to work, you don't have to worry about computer crashes, and you don't even have to breathe. It's just the best thing ever. It really is.

I'm Steve Jobs, and I'm a corpse

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vGA8Z11Lqgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRock
10-05-2011, 06:28 PM

At least I'm still alive.

SUCK IT, JOBS!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fwYy8R87JMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kstater
10-05-2011, 06:28 PM
He tried calling 911 but AT&T dropped the call.

Silock
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Sucks. The man knew how to revolutionize. A real genius of our time.

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
By the way, I own a MacBook. I love it for work.

But my problem is I love dead Steve Jobs jokes more.

MTG#10
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Found pics of his casket.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8_2GH_GJdj8/TT3sdBB21FI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/JXBxeWRJlOQ/s220/Casket%2BIphone.jpg

Only $600 more than your average casket.

You're a ****ing douchbag but that was still funny as hell

WV
10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
He tried calling 911 but AT&T dropped the call.

ROFL

Silock
10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Good night, sweet prince.
http://cdn4.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wozniak1_gallery__542x400.jpg

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Odd that I just finished installing Windows 7 x64 last night.

COchief
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Even though I detest apple fanboys and think many of apple's products are overpriced and over-marketed garbage.

The man changed virtually every American citizen's daily life with the ipod and iphone, that is a rare occurrence in today's world. He was a genius and a revolutionary inventor. RIP

DaFace
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Even though I detest apple fanboys and think many of apple's products are overpriced and over-marketed garbage.

The man changed virtually every American citizen's daily life with the ipod and iphone, that is a rare occurrence in today's world. He was a genius and a revolutionary inventor. RIP

Spot on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
4 pages and not one stay down, bitch....

I hate cancer, really was hoping he'd beat it's ass and come back to lead Apple again.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
The man changed virtually every American citizen's daily life with the ipod and iphone,

LMAO

Steve Jobs did not invent the mp3 player or the smartphone.

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 06:55 PM

The man changed virtually every American citizen's daily life with the ipod and iphone, that is a rare occurrence in today's world. He was a genius and a revolutionary inventor. RIPFuck iPods. Mp3 players were around long before the iPod. Just like search engines existed long before Google was even conceived. Google didn't do anything original. Same with Apple's iPod. They just made successful products in their respective markets. Congrats, but you didn't change the world.

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
LMAO

Steve Jobs did not invent the mp3 player or the smartphone.Or this.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AKwkW.png

suzzer99
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Or this.

Who cares, he revolutionized them and made them accessible to the masses. Just because some crappy version of each existed that no one wanted to use, that's not the relevant part.

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
LMAO

Steve Jobs did not invent the mp3 player or the smartphone.

While that may be true, it is hard to argue that the man was not a visionary.

RIP Steve.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Good night, sweet prince.
http://cdn4.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wozniak1_gallery__542x400.jpg

Why did you post a pic of the good Steve? You know, the one who ACTUALLY invented stuff... Steve Wozniak.

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
RIP Steve. Sad day for Apple as they will probably start losing their dominance in the near future.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Who cares, he revolutionized them and made them accessible to the masses.

LMAO

You are a freaking idiot. I used to have a Creative Nomad Jukebox. It was an awesome mp3 player. It was widely sold...I mean you could go down to freaking Wal Mart and get one. Came out well before the iPod.

GTFO Apple idiots.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Get fucked, you lowlife piece of shit.

The guy was a complete visionary and it's sad that someone in their mid 50's died like this.

But please continue on because you're too fucking poor to afford one of the devices he created. I'm sure it's his greed that led to your horrid existance.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Fuck iPods. Mp3 players were around long before the iPod. Just like search engines existed long before Google was even conceived. Google didn't do anything original. Same with Apple's iPod. They just made successful products in their respective markets. Congrats, but you didn't change the world.

317 patents.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/24/technology/steve-jobs-patents.html?ref=business

The Bad Guy
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
It figures that Claynus would make this thread about him and his hatred for all things Apple.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
LMAO

You are a freaking idiot. I used to have a Creative Nomad Jukebox. It was an awesome mp3 player. It was widely sold...I mean you could go down to freaking Wal Mart and get one. Came out well before the iPod.

GTFO Apple idiots.

Just because someone else had the first of something doesn't mean it was the best or revolutionary.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Just because someone else had the first of something doesn't mean it was the best or revolutionary.

Did I say that? No. But to come on here and act like the iPod was the first mp3 player or the first one "available to the masses" is LMAO

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
You can't help but laugh at people that act as though Apple, and by extension Steve Jobs, did nothing.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 07:09 PM
That new Ferrari is a piece of shit, the model T beat it's ass to market by decades!!!

Demonpenz
I've never owned anything apple exept for playing oregan trail on apple II e. So if he was apart of that. Thanks

Chiefspants
Did I say that? No. But to come on here and act like the iPod was the first mp3 player or the first one "available to the masses" is LMAO

You're right, Steve Jobs and Apple contributed absolutely nothing to this society over the past ten years.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM

No, but it was definitely the first one to get it right in terms of appeal for the masses. Early MP3 players were a pain in the ass to use (comparatively speaking, that is).

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
LMAO

GTFO Apple idiots.

The Creative Nomad Jukebox = The Matt Cassel of MP3 players.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
You're right, Steve Jobs and Apple contributed absolutely nothing to this society over the past ten years.

Wow, butthurt much?

I appreciate what Steve Jobs did for society but let's not make him out to be something he isn't, mmkay? He did not change every American's life with the iPod. Christ. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM

No but the iPod and iTunes revolutionized that market and the music industry.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM

That's not accurate, because a lot of people have heard of Matt Cassel.

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
the iPod is so dominate Microsoft just killed the Zune

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
That's not accurate, because a lot of people have heard of Matt Cassel.

Hmm.. The Creative Nomad Jukebox = Sabby Piscitelli?

Spott
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Too bad. The dude was good all the way to the core.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
the iPod is so dominate Microsoft just killed the Zune

I have a 30GB Zune, and I love it.

And it only cost me $70.

Eat shit, jobs. Or eat yourself, I guess. Wait, you can't eat.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Hmm.. The Creative Nomad Jukebox = Sabby Piscitelli?

There's no way it was that bad. :D

BigRichard
10-05-2011, 07:18 PM
You guys are talking about the iphone and ipad but him and the Waz started the mass market for the home pc. If they had not done what they had done back then I don't think we would be where we are at with any technology.

chiefzilla1501
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM

You're a fucking idiot. Apple create more than 75,000 jobs a year, most in the U.S. He completely raised the bar for American technology.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I know it's not very nice to speak ill of the dead... but Jobs was NOT a good human being by any stretch of the imagination...

Here is one of my favorite stories exemplifying what kind of person he REALLY was...

Bushnell put out the word at Atari that he would pay anyone who could design the game and reduce the number of ICs that it used, $100 per IC removed from the design. Steve Jobs, at the time a low-paid technician at Atari, accepted the challenge. He originally attempted to work on the design himself, but soon found himself in way over his head. He then brought in his friend Steve Wozniak, who liked to hang out at Atari and playtest the new games as they rolled off the assembly lines.

Woz and Jobs stayed up for four days working on the design. Woz would work on the game at night, take a small catnap, go to work at his day job at Hewlett-Packard, and then return home at night to resume work on the design. In the end, Woz reduced the design down to 42 ICs, and both he and Jobs contracted mono from staying up for four days straight working on it. Jobs received a $5,000 bonus and told Woz it was only $700 and gave Steve Wozniak his '50%'... $350.

Stealing over $2000 from his "friend" who did ALL the work... That's a pretty huge chunk of money for a mid-level engineer in 1976.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:20 PM
You guys are talking about the iphone and ipad but him and the Waz started the mass market for the home pc. If they had not done what they had done back then I don't think we would be where we are at with any technology.

Let's be clear here... WOZ created .. Jobs just took credit.

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Who cares, he revolutionized them and made them accessible to the masses. By creating a product that was more expensive he was making the technology accessible to the masses LMAO

Listen, I give him full credit for his marketing ideas and product concepts. The dude knew what people wanted out of electronic devices and he made it happen for them. He's an INSANELY smart and intelligent businessman, and made shit that millions of people love. That's impressive, it really is. Congrats. But he's not a fucking hero, and he didn't make my life any better by building all the gadgets he sold.

I've owned one Apple product in my entire life-- this MacBook I'm typing on right now. I love it. But if Steve Jobs never existed, I probably would have just simply bought another laptop.

JFC, what's next? Did Johannes Gutenberg write the fucking Bible?

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
I know it's not very nice to speak ill of the dead... but Jobs was NOT a good human being by any stretch of the imagination...

Here is one of my favorite stories exemplifying what kind of person he REALLY was...

Stealing over $2000 from his "friend" who did ALL the work... That's a pretty huge chunk of money for a mid-level engineer in 1976.

I don't know, in my opinion, there's a pretty large gap between the Steve Jobs of the 70's/80's and the Steve Jobs of the 2000's.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't know, in my opinion, there's a pretty large gap between the Steve Jobs of the 70's/80's and the Steve Jobs of the 2000's.

Once a thief always a thief... it's a character thing... just because he got rich and didn't have to steal doesn't make him a good person... sorry, but true.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:24 PM

People NEVER change when they grow up. Fact.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Once a thief always a thief... it's a character thing... just because he got rich and didn't have to steal doesn't make him a good person... sorry, but true.

Just because you read a few anecdotes of him that don't paint him particularly well doesn't mean you know him and whether or not he was a good person. Sorry, but true.

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM

I am glad you and the 10 other people that bought Zunes like it :)

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
People NEVER change when they grow up. Fact.

pretty much true. bad people may stop doing bad things... but they are still bad people. It is BEYOND rare that the core character of a person changes after they have reached adulthood. FACT

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
It's OK Steve. Where you are going won't have gates or windows.

Urc Burry
10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

And it only cost me $70.

Eat shit, jobs. Or eat yourself, I guess. Wait, you can't eat.

There is a reason you got it for $70 bucks.. When they first came out they were the same price as the similar ipods

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:32 PM
pretty much true. bad people may stop doing bad things... but they are still bad people. It is BEYOND rare that the core character of a person changes after they have reached adulthood. FACT

You didn't know him personally. I didn't know him personally. He may have been an asshole. He may not have been.

But Woz obviously didn't feel overly wronged by it, as they continued their relationship up until the time Jobs died. So, I'm not exactly why you're angrier about it than the guy who got screwed. We don't know what happened between them since that incident. Maybe Jobs said "Hey, I was a real asshole. Let me make it up to you." I don't know.

That really has no bearing on his amazing tech and business accomplishments, though.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
There is a reason you got it for $70 bucks.. When they first came out they were the same price as the similar ipods

Yeah, because it was Christmas and it was a newegg sale, dumbass.

Good luck getting a 30GB iPod for $70.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Just because you read a few anecdotes of him that don't paint him particularly well doesn't mean you know him and whether or not he was a good person. Sorry, but true.

Nor do you know him to be a good person. At least I have a great deal more evidence showing him to have been a prick than you have showing him to be decent.

After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs.

One former manager, for example, recalled that Jobs told an entire team of engineers they would be losing their jobs right after they came back from Christmas vacation.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
:facepalm:

Im sure most of us on here know Jobs about as well as we know Tom Cruise.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AKwkW.png

heh

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
:facepalm:

Im sure most of us on here know Jobs about as well as we know Tom Cruise.

You don't have to know a person to know what they have done and how those actions make them the kind of person they are...

Why are people making excuses for this guy? Seriously.

I'll give him credit, he may have been the most effective cult leader of all time. He certainly controlled his public image better then anyone I have ever heard of.

Demonpenz
Steve Jobs did alot of bad things, Did alot of great things, now he is dead. -Atchison Times

Saulbadguy
Has anyone heard from "The Rick" yet? Poor guy is probably sobbing in a closet somewhere.

Demonpenz
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
You don't have to know a person to know what they have done and how those actions make them the kind of person they are...

Why are people making excuses for this guy? Seriously.

I'll give him credit, he may have been the most effective cult leader of all time. He certainly controlled his public image better then anyone I have ever heard of.

People were really down on mother theresa's actions early in her career, then after she died she was loved ball all.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Steve Jobs did alot of bad things, Did alot of great things, now he is dead. -Atchison Times

once again the Atchison Times nails it!

chiefzilla1501
10-05-2011, 07:42 PM
By creating a product that was more expensive he was making the technology accessible to the masses LMAO

Listen, I give him full credit for his marketing ideas and product concepts. The dude knew what people wanted out of electronic devices and he made it happen for them. He's an INSANELY smart and intelligent businessman, and made shit that millions of people love. That's impressive, it really is. Congrats. But he's not a ****ing hero, and he didn't make my life any better by building all the gadgets he sold.

I've owned one Apple product in my entire life-- this MacBook I'm typing on right now. I love it. But if Steve Jobs never existed, I probably would have just simply bought another laptop.

JFC, what's next? Did Johannes Gutenberg write the ****ing Bible?

You couldn't be more wrong. Do you know what critical mass is? It means until X number of people start using your technology, nobody jumps on board. It's why people were afraid to buy HD DVDs.

He accelerated innovation in the PC industry. Introduced PCs to the mass market. Created a user-friendly interface that inspired Windows. When more people start using PCs, then other developers (e.g. software developers) become more likely to want to use your product.

He created critical mass for mp3's. You wouldn't have been able to buy a ****ing Zune without the iPod, because music producers wouldn't have wasted their time converting their entire library music to a platform nobody was using (except illegally).

He innovated the iPhone. No iPhone, likely no Droid either.

He innovated the iPad, creating a revolution in touchpads.

So if you like using computers (with Windows or a similar software), enjoy touchscreen phones with apps, enjoy touchpads, or enjoy being able to download mp3's, and not just albums but individual songs as well... then yes, Jobs most certainly made your life better.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2011, 07:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pB9hF.png

http://i51.tinypic.com/33c5ixs.jpg

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Nor do you know him to be a good person. At least I have a great deal more evidence showing him to have been a prick than you have showing him to be decent.

None of that makes him a prick (Edit: in that we don't know for a fact that this is a 100% accurate portrayal of the person that he was recently).

"After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs."

So? They provide tons of jobs for people. They partnered with RED (and were the largest donator). Just because he doesn't do it publicly and mandate that the company do it doesn't mean he's a prick. It just means it's not public.

"One former manager, for example, recalled that Jobs told an entire team of engineers they would be losing their jobs right after they came back from Christmas vacation.'

Oh no! People got fired. This happens. Sucks to have it happen around the holidays, but would they have rather not known and gone out and spent a ton of money lavishly, only to come back to no job?

listopencil
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
De mortuis nihil nisi bonum

RIP

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
None of that makes him a prick.

"After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs."

So? They provide tons of jobs for people. They partnered with RED (and were the largest donator). Just because he doesn't do it publicly and mandate that the company do it doesn't mean he's a prick. It just means it's not public.

"One former manager, for example, recalled that Jobs told an entire team of engineers they would be losing their jobs right after they came back from Christmas vacation.'

Oh no! People got fired. This happens. Sucks to have it happen around the holidays, but would they have rather not known and gone out and spent a ton of money lavishly, only to come back to no job?

Come on man.. you are taking an indefensible position... ALMOST EVERYONE who worked with him said he was a huge asshole... combine that with the fact that he was a thief...

If you can't tell.. I fucking HATE thieves. No way to excuse what he did as an ADULT... it's not like he was 12.

teedubya
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
iSad. :-(

Bugeater
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Uhhh...that's what it sounds like happened.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Come on man.. you are taking an indefensible position... ALMOST EVERYONE who worked with him said he was a huge asshole... combine that with the fact that he was a thief...

He was the boss. How many people DON'T think their boss is an asshole? He might have been very hard on people, but it obviously brought out the best in them and the company. Lots of college players might think their coach is a total asshole, but then they graduate, and realize that he wasn't such a dick after all.

If you can't tell.. I fucking HATE thieves. No way to excuse what he did as an ADULT... it's not like he was 12.

I'm not excusing it in any way. It was wrong. But it was also over 30 years ago, and the person to whom it happened remained his friend.

What I'm saying is that you don't know him. I don't know him. It seems wrong to judge a person like that when you don't know them.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Uhhh...that's what it sounds like happened.

I guess it depends on how you read it. Sounds like it could go either way.

It's a tough call. I know I'd rather find out beforehand. But I could understand if someone didn't want to tell me so as to ruin my Christmas vacation. Still, I'd rather know.

Bugeater
10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
I guess it depends on how you read it. Sounds like it could go either way.

It's a tough call. I know I'd rather find out beforehand. But I could understand if someone didn't want to tell me so as to ruin my Christmas vacation. Still, I'd rather know.
If it was me, I would've just waited until February to fire them. :)

Silock
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
If it was me, I would've just waited until February to fire them. :)

I found the story AC was quoting. It happened before the holidays.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not excusing it in any way. It was wrong. But it was also over 30 years ago, and the person to whom it happened remained his friend.

What I'm saying is that you don't know him. I don't know him. It seems wrong to judge a person like that when you don't know them.

Actually no he didn't... Woz has stated on many occasions that they were never truly friends.

yes I didn't know him... but I'm pretty sure I'm safe in my judgement.

I still don't get why anyone is defending this guy... I highly doubt you'd be defending anyone else.

Silock
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Actually no he didn't... Woz has stated on many occasions that they were never truly friends.

I still don't get why anyone is defending this guy... I highly doubt you'd be defending anyone else.

He said they weren't close friends, but he didn't say they weren't friends.

In any case, I'm not defending him so much as being an agnostic about it. You don't know, and neither do I.

All I see is that an extremely intelligent and talented individual died in a really shitty way. That sucks. I'm not losing any sleep over it. My portfolio might be losing some value because of it, though >.<

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Mm..All of your information about Steve Jobs is about the Steve Jobs of the 70's/80's, there is a reason he was kicked out of apple in the mid 80's.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I read he softened before re-establishing control of the company in the late 1990's.

DaFace
10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the things people choose to argue about on here.

Smed1065
10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Guess Sprint killed him~

RealSNR
10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the things people choose to argue about on here.You're a fucking idiot. There's no way this shit is surprising. You're seriously amazed by the things people argue about? Go drink anti-freeze and get AIDS

kysirsoze
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM

If you can't tell.. I ****ing HATE thieves. No way to excuse what he did as an ADULT... it's not like he was 12.

Take it FWIW, but my roommate works for Apple and he says in the company, people were afraid to have any contact with him because of his reputation of lashing out and firing people for nothing. Getting transferred to Cupertino was a scary proposition.

ReynardMuldrake
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pB9hF.png

http://i51.tinypic.com/33c5ixs.jpg

Dude, too Zune.

loochy
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
iDontcare

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ReYfu5E-hOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jerm
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Can't wait for Apple to release the Steve Jobs memorial app....and then charge $4.99 for it.

loochy
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Can't wait for Apple to release the Steve Jobs memorial app....and then charge $4.99 for it.

...but it's such a good deal! They can tell me how I should feel sad and it only cost $5!

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Where did you conjure that idea? I have always read that Jobs and Wozniak were close.

"I chat with Steve Jobs now and then, from time to time... We have never had an argument, we have always been friends. We are not close friends like we once were spending every day together."

BigRichard
10-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Yes, WOZ was the brains behind the computer itself. Jobs was the genius behind the business itself. You can say he took credit but WOZ goes nowhere without Jobs. I think Jobs would have still been successful.

Stanley Nickels
10-05-2011, 08:35 PM
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Stanley Nickels
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pLShS.jpg

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Where did you conjure that idea? I have always read that Jobs and Wozniak were close.

Oh I don't know.. from quotes by WOZ himself... having read two biographies on him.. and writing a book report on one of them back in 6th grade :D

Here is a quote from Woz just this year...

“We talk occasionally on the phone. But we are definitely not friends.”

Shogun
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
You know what after serious thought, I could care less about the guy and ' what he has done for society '

You know what he has done for society? Create more technology or at least market more technology to distract the world from what really goes on. Fuck that. Apple is overpriced and overrated, as is most technology. I hope his family is doing well and can get over the loss but I personally don't care about the guy, Bill Gates can fuck off too.

posted from my windows 7

Iconic
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Steve Jobs dead.
Zune resurrected.

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Oh I don't know.. from quotes by WOZ himself... having read two biographies on him.. and writing a book report on one of them back in 6th grade :D

I am listening to Woz on CNN right now and he is comparing him to Martin Luther King etc... Nothing but praise and love for Steve.

kysirsoze
10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I am listening to Woz on CNN right now and he is comparing him to Martin Luther King etc... Nothing but praise and love for Steve.

Did you expect him to blast Jobs on the day he died? I don't know (and don't care) if they were friends or enemies, but I imagine Steve W.'s response would be similar either way.

chiefzilla1501
10-05-2011, 09:10 PM
You know what after serious thought, I could care less about the guy and ' what he has done for society '

You know what he has done for society? Create more technology or at least market more technology to distract the world from what really goes on. **** that. Apple is overpriced and overrated, as is most technology. I hope his family is doing well and can get over the loss but I personally don't care about the guy, Bill Gates can **** off too.

posted from my windows 7

Without Jobs and Gates, we'd still be watching softcore porn through squiggly lines.

Shogun
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Without Jobs and Gates, we'd still be watching softcore porn through squiggly lines.

No way, HD would have come around at some point and HBO and cinemax would have gotten a huge contract to do hardcore. im in no way saying I don't enjoy my computer or technology, but I can go long periods of time without it. Hell I'd even go as far as saying I would be fine without a computer.

Chiefspants
10-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Woz seems to have made conflicting statements on the matter, as my quote from Woz was taken from this year as well.

Shogun
10-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Woz obviously has D.I.D

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Woz seems to have made conflicting quotes on this issue, as my quote from Woz was taken from this year as well.

yeah, it depends on when you catch him... but if you have followed him as much as I have... it's pretty clear they weren't friends as most people would define the word.

Gadzooks
10-05-2011, 09:21 PM
9:05 and on.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UF8uR6Z6KLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2011, 09:30 PM
The interesting thing here isn't the fact that Jobs died, it's that Apple fanbois are so damned annoying that people rejoice in the death of the guy who ran the company.

DaFace
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Kind of a cool article about him. It's pretty rosy, but it offers an interesting glimpse into bits of his personality.

http://allthingsd.com/20111005/the-steve-jobs-i-knew/

Smed1065
10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
The interesting thing here isn't the fact that Jobs died, it's that Apple fanbois are so damned annoying that people rejoice in the death of the guy who ran the company.

Very true.

dirk digler
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Did you expect him to blast Jobs on the day he died? I don't know (and don't care) if they were friends or enemies, but I imagine Steve W.'s response would be similar either way.

The way Austin described their relationship I wasn't expecting him to say he was like Martin Luther King or John Lennon

Jerm
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm an avid user of Apple products and I could care less...you're right though, the fanboys on Twitter are acting like Jesus died or something.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
The way Austin described their relationship I wasn't expecting him to say he was like Martin Luther King or John Lennon

Woz is an extremely nice guy.. very forgiving and generous... doesn't surprise me at all.

DenverChief
10-05-2011, 10:37 PM
R.I.P.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UF8uR6Z6KLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silock
10-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Woz is an extremely nice guy.. very forgiving and generous... doesn't surprise me at all.

Woz is awesome.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Woz is awesome.

THAT we can definitely agree on!

The Poz
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
It's OK Steve. Where you are going won't have gates or windows.

I now know why every clip you've ever posted is such a piece if shit. You work on a PC.

...and you've got one of those sloped foreheads.

listopencil
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Did anyone try to restart him?

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Woz was worthless he was gone by 83-84.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Woz was worthless he was gone by 83-84.

Jesus, you have gone FULL RETARD lately. Please STFU on shit you have zero clue about.

Woz took a sabbatical in 1981 after he almost died in a plane crash. He was then back at Apple from 83-87.

Woz was a brilliant engineer who revolutionized home computing... yep.. worthless.

patteeu
10-05-2011, 11:27 PM
4 pages and not one stay down, bitch....

I hate cancer, really was hoping he'd beat it's ass and come back to lead Apple again.

Even though he didn't, the fact that he was forced out of the company he founded and then later came back to save it and make it the most valuable company in the world is pretty storybook.

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Jesus, you have gone FULL RETARD lately. Please STFU on shit you have zero clue about.

Woz took a sabbatical in 1981 after he almost died in a plane crash. He was then back at Apple from 83-87.

Woz was a brilliant engineer who revolutionized home computing... yep.. worthless.

Yep like you were there. He was a geek and an engineer. A better than average one and probably a nice guy. Had no value after the Apple II that another EE wouldn't have gotten done.

kysirsoze
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Yep like you were there. He was a geek and an engineer. A better than average one and probably a nice guy. Had no value after the Apple II that another EE wouldn't have gotten done.

How can you possibly know that? The guy revolutionizes home computing and you assume he's only "better than average"?

Dave Lane
10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
How can you possibly know that? The guy revolutionizes home computing and you assume he's only "better than average"?

Because he built the Apple II? He was very sharp, most EE's are. He was above the average smart EE. There would have never been a Apple II or an Apple company with out Jobs. Woz would probably still be tinkering with shit in his garage. He had zero marketing skill. Very dull to talk to, marketing wasn't his thing.

TimeForWasp
10-05-2011, 11:45 PM
RIP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CjAsJfz9dBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM

There's a lot of truth here.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Because he built the Apple II? He was very sharp, most EE's are. He was above the average smart EE. There would have never been a Apple II or an Apple company with out Jobs. Woz would probably still be tinkering with shit in his garage. He had zero marketing skill. Very dull to talk to, marketing wasn't his thing.

He not only built the Apple I and II single handed... but he made the OS as well.

The work he did on the original Breakout game was amazing .. far far beyond what even the "above average" EE was capable of. He was one of the greatest EE of his time. Sad that you can't see that.

kstater
10-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Did anyone try to restart him?

Battery went bad. Have to get a completely new unit.

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2011, 04:31 AM

Per usual, Hamas knocks it outta the park. :)

loochy
10-06-2011, 05:14 AM

Nail.

Head.

Posirep.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 05:21 AM

Now Steve Jobs invented HDTV and Brazzers?

Braincase
10-06-2011, 05:24 AM
I respect the man's vision, energy, and creativity. I was not a fan of his egomania or style. He wanted to be remembered as Thomas Edison, more likely to be remembered as P.T. Barnum.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
you'll shit a brick when you see it

http://i.imgur.com/2QAAq.jpg

Silock
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM

Saw it back when it was posted in this thread on page 2 ;)

headsnap
10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
I respect the man's vision, energy, and creativity. I was not a fan of his egomania or style. He wanted to be remembered as Thomas Edison, more likely to be remembered as P.T. Barnum.

only by the few remaining Micro$oft fanboys... :)

1ChiefsDan
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
I guess the old adage an Apple a day...
Isn't true.

Sent from my phone

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
He not only built the Apple I and II single handed... but he made the OS as well.

The work he did on the original Breakout game was amazing .. far far beyond what even the "above average" EE was capable of. He was one of the greatest EE of his time. Sad that you can't see that.

Woz had his place, before the accident and when Apple was a niche micro company he was needed. He had the ability to make Jobs dreams come to fruition. Don't be confused on the designs for the Apple I or II. Jobs had the design portion not in an EE way but in a form and function way. Woz was wildly needed at this point they couldn't afford to pay someone to do it. Once they had a group of EE's he never contributed anything again. Not sure if its because the accident or what. He is a good guy, he contributed a spark that helped ignite Apple. Thats his legacy.

Your well known hate for all things Apple blinds you seeing Jobs for what he was. He was Edison in his own way. Edison was an absolute dick and stepped on peoples faces to get ahead. It really doesn't matter, society owes both Jobs and Edison a heartfelt thank you. If Apple never existed the world loses at least 5 years of computer evolution.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AKDRJ.png

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsmezisUlm1qazploo1_400.png

Otter
10-06-2011, 09:09 AM
The man had more influence that I was aware. Apparently unemployment claims rose slightly ahead of the Jobs report.

gblowfish
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Saw it back when it was posted in this thread on page 2 ;)

No big surprise here. Phelps' clan picketed the Lewis Black show when I was in Topeka on Sept 23rd. Their douchebaggery knows no bounds.

The_Doctor10
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Because Steve Jobs is the kind of guy who amassed billions by inheriting it and doing nothing to earn it, right?

Get fucked with an iron spike, dickwad.

Frankie
10-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Steve Jobs' Estranged Father Never Got Phone Call He Waited For

By COLLEEN CURRY | ABC News

Steve Jobs' estranged father, who had given up his infant son for adoption, had been hoping that his grown son would call him. That hope died today.

Abdulfattah John Jandali had emailed his son a few times in a tentative effort to make contact. The father never called the son because he feared Jobs would think the dad who had given him up was now after his fortune. And Jobs never responded to his father's emails.

"I really don't have anything to say," Jandali, vice president at Boomtown Hotel Casino in Reno, Nev., told the International Business Times.

Jandali, a Syrian immigrant, had been quoted by the New York Post recently saying he didn't know until just a few years ago that the baby he and his ex-wife, Joanne Simpson, gave up grew to be Apple's CEO.

Jandali told the Post that had it been his choice, he would have kept the baby. But Simpson's father did not approve of her marrying a Syrian, so she moved to San Francisco to have the baby alone and give him up for adoption.

Steve Jobs Secretive Private Life

Jandali, who is 80, said at the time that he would have been happy to just have a cup of coffee with the son he never knew before it was too late. Stories of Jobs' battle with a form of pancreatic cancer and his liver transplant were public and Jobs' health had deteriorated to the point where he was forced to resign as CEO of Apple.

He was quoted as saying, "This might sound strange, though, but I am not prepared, even if either of us was on our deathbeds, to pick up the phone to call him."

Though he was one of the world's most famous CEOs, Steve Jobs has remained stubbornly private about his personal life, ignoring the media and the public's thirst for knowledge about him ever since he co-founded Apple Computer in 1976.

He was so successful at keeping the details of his life out of the celebrity pages that a Pew poll in June 2010 found that only 41 percent of Americans correctly identified Jobs as head of Apple. A CBS poll that year concluded that 69 percent of Americans didn't know enough about Jobs to have an opinion about him.

Jobs personal life was a story of extremes. Given up for adoption, he created a worldwide giant of a company in his garage, dated movie stars, and had a child out of wedlock who he denied for many years.

Many fans know that Jobs and his wife, Laurene Powell, have been married for more than 20 years; the two were married in a small ceremony in Yosemite National Park in 1991, live in Woodside, Calif., and have three children: Reed Paul, Erin Sienna, and Eve.

Less well-known are the other members of his family. He has a daughter, Lisa Brennan Jobs, born in 1978 with his high school girlfriend, Chris Ann Brennan.
His sister is Mona Simpson, the acclaimed writer of books like "Anywhere But Here." Jobs did not meet Simpson until they were adults, when he was seeking information on his birth parents. Simpson later wrote a book based on their relationship. In the book, "A Regular Guy," Simpson shed light on Jobs's relationship with Brennan and his daughter, Lisa.

Fortune magazine reported that Jobs denied paternity of Lisa for years, at one point swearing in a court document that he was infertile and could not have children. According to the report, Chris Ann Brennan collected welfare for a time to support the child, until Jobs later acknowledged Lisa as his daughter.
The college dropout was a millionaire by the age of 25 and on the cover of Time by 26. By 30, he was starting a second company, NeXT.

During those years, though, Jobs also lived an exciting personal life. He also began a relationship with singer Joan Baez, according to Elizabeth Holmes, a friend and classmate. In "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," Holmes tells biographer Alan Deutschman that Jobs broke up with his serious girlfriend to "begin an affair with the charismatic singer-activist." Holmes confirmed these details to ABC News.

Deutschman's book also says Jobs went on a blind date with Diane Keaton; went out with Lisa Birnbach, author of "The Preppy Handbook;" and hand delivered computers to celebrities he admired.

http://news.yahoo.com/steve-jobs-estranged-father-never-got-phone-call-014119004.html

Frankie
10-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Because Steve Jobs is the kind of guy who amassed billions by inheriting it and doing nothing to earn it, right?

This.

The_Doctor10
10-06-2011, 09:58 AM
yeah, it depends on when you catch him... but if you have followed him as much as I have... it's pretty clear they weren't friends as most people would define the word.

Whatever their relationship, Woz is worth at least a hundred mill. So maybe he and steve werent best mates, but the partnership was clearly beneficial to both of them.

And frankly, I don't understand why you're just coming to shit on the guy when he's down. I know you 'don't like to speak ill of the dead' but you went and did it anyway.

Who gives a damn if he wasn't a nice guy? Especially in the last ten years, he's been the most influential man in the world of technology. He re-built a dying company by learning from his mistakes, and turned it into the biggest company in the world.

Take a day off; what are the odds your precious Android ever gets developed if Apple never bothers to get into the phone game?

Bump
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

it doesn't matter who it is, if the death is in the news, these idiots will protest it. It's all about the attention at this point, but they are not doing God any favors here. Every time I see them, it just renews my belief not to believe.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.mopo.ca/uploaded_images/steve-jobs-grave-795998.jpg

ChiTown
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Thought this was a pretty cool vid.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10440768.jpg

The Rick
10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Has anyone heard from "The Rick" yet? Poor guy is probably sobbing in a closet somewhere.
:lame:

The Rick
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Typical Apple fan simply gets enjoyment and satisfaction out of using Apple products and for the most part couldn't care less about what technology others choose to use.

Typical Apple hater (see AustinChief and others) feels the need to attack, swear, offend, belittle, condemn, and disparage fans of Apple products solely because they choose to enjoy and receive satisfaction from products the hater doesn't approve of, or *gasp*...because the fan didn't build it themselves when it comes to a computer.

It's really kind of sad that these "haters" either have this compulsion to always prove that they're "right", or that their lives are so inconsequential that they feel the need condemn and disparage others for having the nerve to think differently than them.

AustinChief is one of those guys who has to prove that he's "right". Notice how he never backs down from an argument and always has to have the last word?

vailpass
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Typical Apple fan simply gets enjoyment and satisfaction out of using Apple products and for the most part couldn't care less about what technology others choose to use.

Typical Apple hater (see AustinChief and others) feels the need to attack, swear, offend, belittle, condemn, and disparage fans of Apple products solely because they choose to enjoy and receive satisfaction from products the hater doesn't approve of, or *gasp*...because the fan didn't build it themselves when it comes to a computer.

It's really kind of sad that these "haters" either have this compulsion to always prove that they're "right", or that their lives are so inconsequential that they feel the need condemn and disparage others for having the nerve to think differently than them.

AustinChief is one of those guys who has to prove that he's "right". Notice how he never backs down from an argument and always has to have the last word?

Fanboi says what?

vailpass
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.mopo.ca/uploaded_images/steve-jobs-grave-795998.jpg

LMAO

The Rick
10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Fanboi says what?
Right on cue...thanks! :clap:

RealSNR
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM

AustinChief is one of those guys who has to prove that he's "right". Notice how he never backs down from an argument and always has to have the last word?Dude, let me just say welcome to the internet.

Iowanian
10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
This morning I watched an interview with Woz.

He didn't seem particularly warm about Jobs as a person
but didn't disparage him either. He talked about what a strong
business mind he had, and said that Jobs always had the best
ideas when they were problem solving.

He did that between mentions of "Apple's excellent line of products" at every corner
of the conversation. I thought that was kind of tacky.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Your well known hate for all things Apple blinds you seeing Jobs for what he was. He was Edison in his own way. Edison was an absolute dick and stepped on peoples faces to get ahead. It really doesn't matter, society owes both Jobs and Edison a heartfelt thank you. If Apple never existed the world loses at least 5 years of computer evolution.

And again you haven't paid attention.. I don't have a blind hate of Apple, I have a blind hate of Jobs which bled over to hating what Apple has become. I loved my Apple IIC back in the day!

He was a tool and a he turned Apple's base into a cult full of douchey fanbois.

And you are still not giving Woz enough credit for how brilliant he was before the accident...

88TG88
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM

ROFLROFL

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Whatever their relationship, Woz is worth at least a hundred mill. So maybe he and steve werent best mates, but the partnership was clearly beneficial to both of them.

And frankly, I don't understand why you're just coming to shit on the guy when he's down. I know you 'don't like to speak ill of the dead' but you went and did it anyway.

Who gives a damn if he wasn't a nice guy? Especially in the last ten years, he's been the most influential man in the world of technology. He re-built a dying company by learning from his mistakes, and turned it into the biggest company in the world.

Take a day off; what are the odds your precious Android ever gets developed if Apple never bothers to get into the phone game?

He was more than not a nice guy.. he was a thieving prick. (there is simply no excuse for letting your "friend" do ALL the work on a project then stealing $2000 from him) I didn't want to say anything but the constant BULLSHIT about how great he was became too much to bear. Yes he was influential... but from EVERYTHING I have seen over the years...he was a bad human being. He wasn't Hitler bad or anything, just not a good person. People are acting like Mother Teresa died.

And yet again you are clueless in calling me an Android fanboy. I use Android, WebOS, Windows 7 and Linux all on a daily basis... I would drop Android in a heartbeat if something better came along. I'm not tied into some fucking technology CULT.

Frankie
10-06-2011, 12:27 PM
He was more than not a nice guy.. he was a thieving prick. (there is simply no excuse for letting your "friend" do ALL the work on a project then stealing $2000 from him).

I'm sure there is a link to this accusation somewhere in this long thread. If so would you direct me to it? If not would you provide a link?

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
http://files.upit.me/1317973007.jpg

loochy
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm sure there is a link to this accusation somewhere in this long thread. If so would you direct me to it? If not would you provide a link?

I've got your link right here:

Story: Steve Jobs is a Thief and Con Man (http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bobofwa/1998-03-09%20Valorie%20flipping%20off%20camera.JPG)

ChiTown
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
http://files.upit.me/1317973007.jpg

Too Soon?

gblowfish
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
He was more than not a nice guy.. he was a thieving prick. (there is simply no excuse for letting your "friend" do ALL the work on a project then stealing $2000 from him) I didn't want to say anything but the constant BULLSHIT about how great he was became too much to bear. Yes he was influential... but from EVERYTHING I have seen over the years...he was a bad human being. He wasn't Hitler bad or anything, just not a good person. People are acting like Mother Teresa died.

And yet again you are clueless in calling me an Android fanboy. I use Android, WebOS, Windows 7 and Linux all on a daily basis... I would drop Android in a heartbeat if something better came along. I'm not tied into some fucking technology CULT.

Henry Ford and Thomas Edison were brilliant inventors too, and they were both gigantic douchebags. I think it comes with the gene pool for these kind of guys. Revisionist history always make them look like better people than they were in real life. I also think the cut-throat business environment turns a lot of people in to uber-pricks.

Silock
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I would drop Android in a heartbeat if something better came along.

Unless it was made by Apple.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Unless it was made by Apple.

Yep.. that's true.. forgot that part! :D

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7970775&postcount=86

ChiTown
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM

That's your problem? JFC, get a fucking pair already.

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
It's like the world lost a John Lennon - I mean Steve was clearly the most outstanding business thinker and almost everybody high up in the technology business recognized that somehow he had the ability to think out new ways of doing things, not just ways to improve what we have (do a better version of something) but do it in a totally different way that the world would swing towards

Fat Elvis
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
it doesn't matter who it is, if the death is in the news, these idiots will protest it. It's all about the attention at this point, but they are not doing God any favors here. Every time I see them, it just renews my belief not to believe.

I think you missed the funny.

Titty Meat
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
It's like the world lost a John Lennon - I mean Steve was clearly the most outstanding business thinker and almost everybody high up in the technology business recognized that somehow he had the ability to think out new ways of doing things, not just ways to improve what we have (do a better version of something) but do it in a totally different way that the world would swing towards

Comparing Steve Jobs to John Lennon? That's a stretch.

ChiTown
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Comparing Steve Jobs to John Lennon? That's a stretch.

Agreed. John Lennon was a flaming douche.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Agreed. John Lennon was a flaming douche.

They were both visionary douchebag hypocrites... so it's actually a pretty good comparison.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
That's your problem? JFC, get a fucking pair already.

It's one of many many many examples of him being an asshole. So yeah, that is my problem. I fucking hate thieves... no excuses.

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Oh btw I think I forgot something in my last post:

"It's like the world lost a John Lennon - I mean Steve was clearly the most outstanding business thinker and almost everybody high up in the technology business recognized that somehow he had the ability to think out new ways of doing things, not just ways to improve what we have (do a better version of something) but do it in a totally different way that the world would swing towards"

-Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
The List

1. The Jobs family: "In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness."

Tech Leaders and Journalists/Bloggers

2. Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak: "It's like the world lost a John Lennon - I mean Steve was clearly the most outstanding business thinker and almost everybody high up in the technology business recognized that somehow he had the ability to think out new ways of doing things, not just ways to improve what we have (do a better version of something) but do it in a totally different way that the world would swing towards."

3. Apple CEO Tim Cook: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being."

4. Apple's Board of Directors: "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve."

5. Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter: "He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.'"

6. Walt Disney President Bob Iger: "Steve was such an 'original,' with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started."

7. Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates: "Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives. The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come."

8. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen: "We've lost a unique tech pioneer and auteur who knew how to make amazingly great products. Steve fought a long battle against tough odds in a very brave way. He kept doing amazing things in the face of all that adversity. As someone who has had his own medical challenges, I couldn't help but be encouraged by how he persevered."

9. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "I want to express my deepest condolences at the passing of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of our industry and a true visionary. My heart goes out to his family, everyone at Apple and everyone who has been touched by his work."

10. Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang: "Steve was my hero growing up. He not only gave me a lot of personal advice and encouragement, he showed all of us how innovation can change lives. I will miss him dearly, as will the world."

11. Google CEO Larry Page: "He was a great man with incredible achievements and amazing brilliance. He always seemed to be able to say in very few words what you actually should have been thinking before you thought it. His focus on the user experience above all else has always been an inspiration to me."

12. Google co-founder Sergey Brin: "From the earliest days of Google, whenever Larry and I sought inspiration for vision and leadership, we needed to look no farther than Cupertino. Steve, your passion for excellence is felt by anyone who has ever touched an Apple product (including the macbook I am writing this on right now). And I have witnessed it in person the few times we have met."

13. Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt: ""Today is very sad for all of us. Steve defined a generation of style and technology that's unlikely to be matched again. Steve was so charismatically brilliant that he inspired people to do the impossible, and he will be remembered as the greatest computer innovator in history."

14. Google Research Director Peter Norvig: "Honor Steve Jobs: resolve to do something insanely great."

15. Google head of web spam Matt Cutts: "The tech industry lost an amazing, world-changing person today. Rest in peace, Steve."

Frankie
10-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Thx.

Frankie
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
FWIW:

http://cdn3a.dvdempire.org/products/24/686924h.jpghttp://cdn3a.dvdempire.org/products/24/686924bh.jpg
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lEyrivrjAuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
The List

1. The Jobs family: "In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness."

Tech Leaders and Journalists/Bloggers

2. Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak: "It's like the world lost a John Lennon - I mean Steve was clearly the most outstanding business thinker and almost everybody high up in the technology business recognized that somehow he had the ability to think out new ways of doing things, not just ways to improve what we have (do a better version of something) but do it in a totally different way that the world would swing towards."

3. Apple CEO Tim Cook: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being."

4. Apple's Board of Directors: "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve."

5. Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter: "He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.'"

6. Walt Disney President Bob Iger: "Steve was such an 'original,' with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started."

7. Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates: "Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives. The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come."

8. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen: "We've lost a unique tech pioneer and auteur who knew how to make amazingly great products. Steve fought a long battle against tough odds in a very brave way. He kept doing amazing things in the face of all that adversity. As someone who has had his own medical challenges, I couldn't help but be encouraged by how he persevered."

9. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "I want to express my deepest condolences at the passing of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of our industry and a true visionary. My heart goes out to his family, everyone at Apple and everyone who has been touched by his work."

10. Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang: "Steve was my hero growing up. He not only gave me a lot of personal advice and encouragement, he showed all of us how innovation can change lives. I will miss him dearly, as will the world."

11. Google CEO Larry Page: "He was a great man with incredible achievements and amazing brilliance. He always seemed to be able to say in very few words what you actually should have been thinking before you thought it. His focus on the user experience above all else has always been an inspiration to me."

12. Google co-founder Sergey Brin: "From the earliest days of Google, whenever Larry and I sought inspiration for vision and leadership, we needed to look no farther than Cupertino. Steve, your passion for excellence is felt by anyone who has ever touched an Apple product (including the macbook I am writing this on right now). And I have witnessed it in person the few times we have met."

13. Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt: ""Today is very sad for all of us. Steve defined a generation of style and technology that's unlikely to be matched again. Steve was so charismatically brilliant that he inspired people to do the impossible, and he will be remembered as the greatest computer innovator in history."

14. Google Research Director Peter Norvig: "Honor Steve Jobs: resolve to do something insanely great."

15. Google head of web spam Matt Cutts: "The tech industry lost an amazing, world-changing person today. Rest in peace, Steve."

16. AustinChief CEO Chiefsplanet: "Steve was a visionary, but a complete douche. He stole most of his ideas from other people and never credited them. Steve was not a nice person from everything i read. The world is a better place today. Good riddance."

The Rick
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
16. AustinChief CEO Chiefsplanet: "Steve was a visionary, but a complete douche. He stole most of his ideas from other people and never credited them. Steve was not a nice person from everything i read. The world is a better place today. Good riddance."

:)

Brooklyn
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
It's one of many many many examples of him being an asshole. So yeah, that is my problem. I ****ing hate thieves... no excuses.

For my lack of ability to post links, I'll just refer to the fact that there is a Chiefs Planet Facebook page.

I am pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg lied, cheated, and stole his way to an equally world changing place in this world. Yet you don't seem to have a real problem drafting off his successes to funnel people to this website (on which you generate ad revenue for each impression, both those originated from Facebook and elsewhere).

Personally I don't have a Facebook account and never have. I don't have a real problem with what you're saying here, or what you are objecting to in general with the Steve Jobs love/hate. But if you're going to get uber righteous against thievery, you probably shouldn't put yourself in a position to profit off of one of today's greatest modern thieves.

I think there's room for giving blind faith/love to both Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg. As someone alluded to earlier in this thread, it takes a certain kind of person who is maybe willing to step outside those acceptable social norms to get to the next level. For what they have each brought to this world and how they've changed it forever, I think you should cut them some slack.

The Franchise
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
How exactly did he make the world a better place again?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM

This is incredibly important. You don't want to piss on the guy's grave, but he didn't exactly invent protease inhibitors or the Polio vaccine.

In some ways, this is almost like the death of the Georgio Armani of Computers. He didn't invent the damned thing, he just came up with ways to make it more convenient, but more than anything, fashionable.

Titty Meat
10-06-2011, 02:39 PM
This is incredibly important. You don't want to piss on the guy's grave, but he didn't exactly invent protease inhibitors or the Polio vaccine.

In some ways, this is almost like the death of the Georgio Armani of Computers. He didn't invent the damned thing, he just came up with ways to make it more convenient, but more than anything, fashionable.

I'm actually more interested in learning how he survived 8 years with one of the most deadly cancers.

Shag
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM

You could say that by doing so, Jobs greatly sped the adoption of certain technologies into society. That adoption rate pushed other competing products into the market, and fostered a highly competitive environment, leading to better products across the board.

I have little doubt that without Jobs, mp3 players, smartphones, and tablets wouldn't be where they are today.

For better or worse, adoption rate is king in the personal technology world, and Jobs was a genius on that front.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm actually more interested in learning how he survived 8 years with one of the most deadly cancers.

He had islet cell carcinoma. It's a much rarer, and different form of pancreatic cancer. If he had garden-variety pancreatic cancer, he'd have been dead seven years ago. There's no worse cancer.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
You could say that by doing so, Jobs greatly sped the adoption of certain technologies into society. That adoption rate pushed other competing products into the market, and fostered a highly competitive environment, leading to better products across the board.

I have little doubt that without Jobs, mp3 players, smartphones, and tablets wouldn't be where they are today.

For better or worse, adoption rate is king in the personal technology world, and Jobs was a genius on that front.

Except for the fact that the history of adoption rates belies the fact that Jobs accelerated it. Look at the exponential increase in the adoption rate from radio to TV, from TV to internet, and from internet to high-speed, for example.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/PPTMASSuseInventionsLogPRINT.jpg

patteeu
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM

In his Stanford speech he says that his pancreatic cancer was a rare form that is more curable than the standard pancreatic cancer. I'm guessing that that has something to do with his unusually long post-cancer survival.

Shag
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Except for the fact that the history of adoption rates belies the fact that Jobs accelerated it. Look at the exponential increase in the adoption rate from radio to TV, from TV to internet, and from internet to high-speed, for example.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/PPTMASSuseInventionsLogPRINT.jpg

The iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad were not the first to market in their respective genres, yet each sold in high volumes upon launch, dominated the market, and kickstarted the genre. That's purely anecdotal, but I don't think you'd find many that disagree.

Is that a result of current adoption rates, and Apple just happened to time their products as the market was primed to explode? Possible, but I doubt it. Apple is great at making people want their products.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
For my lack of ability to post links, I'll just refer to the fact that there is a Chiefs Planet Facebook page.

I am pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg lied, cheated, and stole his way to an equally world changing place in this world. Yet you don't seem to have a real problem drafting off his successes to funnel people to this website (on which you generate ad revenue for each impression, both those originated from Facebook and elsewhere).

Personally I don't have a Facebook account and never have. I don't have a real problem with what you're saying here, or what you are objecting to in general with the Steve Jobs love/hate. But if you're going to get uber righteous against thievery, you probably shouldn't put yourself in a position to profit off of one of today's greatest modern thieves.

I think there's room for giving blind faith/love to both Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg. As someone alluded to earlier in this thread, it takes a certain kind of person who is maybe willing to step outside those acceptable social norms to get to the next level. For what they have each brought to this world and how they've changed it forever, I think you should cut them some slack.

Just to be clear, the CP Facebook page was set up to test some things.. it in NO way is a serious page meant to drive traffic... (heck I haven't checked in over a month)

I have no doubt that Zuck may have been somewhat shady and is a bad person too. BUT I have yet to hear/read anything that is in the same BALLPARK as the crap Jobs pulled. If someone decided to crusade against Zuck and knew what they were talking about, I certainly wouldn't defend Zuck and argue against the person.

of course all this is beside the point because I have no problem using the products of bad people if I don't have an equal or better choice. If the iPhone was the only smartphone around, I'd swallow hard and get one.

I am just pointing out that

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
FWIW:

http://cdn3a.dvdempire.org/products/24/686924h.jpghttp://cdn3a.dvdempire.org/products/24/686924bh.jpg
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lEyrivrjAuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man I lived that movie. I have it and have been scared to watch it for all the old memories it might unleash.

Shag
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I have no doubt that Zuck may have been somewhat shady and is a bad person too. BUT I have yet to hear/read anything that is in the same BALLPARK as the crap Jobs pulled. If someone decided to crusade against Zuck and knew what they were talking about, I certainly wouldn't defend Zuck and argue against the person.

You mean, like stealing the entire idea of Facebook? :)

ReynardMuldrake
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
In his Stanford speech he says that his pancreatic cancer was a rare form that is more curable than the standard pancreatic cancer. I'm guessing that that has something to do with his unusually long post-cancer survival.

The sad part is he delayed his surgery for nearly a year when he was first diagnosed. If he had followed his doctors' advice he would still be alive.

Shag
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
He had islet cell carcinoma. It's a much rarer, and different form of pancreatic cancer. If he had garden-variety pancreatic cancer, he'd have been dead seven years ago. There's no worse cancer.

Good info - thanks. I'd been wondering how he'd survived so long with pancreatic cancer...

The Franchise
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Not pissing on his grave.

I'm just trying to figure out why this guy deserves candlelit vigils and all of the news coverage.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM

This is the most dead on accurate statement in the entire thread.

Though as much as I don't like the man himself, I won't undersell how influential he was because of his ability to market his vision of technology to the masses...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Not pissing on his grave.

I'm just trying to figure out why this guy deserves candlelit vigils and all of the news coverage.

Oh, I didn't think you were in the least. However, there is a fair amount of urine in the carpet padding of this thread.

Frankie
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Didn't Gates steal Mac's idea for Windows?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Didn't Gates steal Mac's idea for Windows?

After Jobs stole the idea from Xerox.

TEX
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah - RIP to a guy I didn't know and don't really care about, who had butt loads of money, invented pretty cool things, and was very smart...

loochy
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah - RIP to a guy I didn't know and don't really care about, who had butt loads of money, invented pretty cool things, and was very smart...

This is pretty much it.

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 03:29 PM
After Jobs stole the idea from Xerox.

The definition of creativity is the ability to hide your source. :)

chiefzilla1501
10-06-2011, 03:31 PM

It depends on if you're open to new technology or scared of it. But Steve Jobs created the market for technologies that a lot of people are so heavily reliant on.

And he made the U.S. a much better place. That's for sure. Before Jobs, the U.S. was getting our ass handed to us in technology. Sony, Aiwa, Panasonic, etc... made our stereos. Our phones were 2-3 years behind the ones sold in Asia. Now they use our mp3 players and our phones, not the other way around.

In the global economy, the U.S. doesn't have a whole lot to be proud of. That's why losing a guy like Jobs hurts real bad. I'm not convinced that Apple can continue to be the force they were without him.

Silock
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
BUT I have yet to hear/read anything that is in the same BALLPARK as the crap Jobs pulled

You have clearly not watched The Social Network.

chiefzilla1501
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I think you're short-selling how much of a business genius it was. He wasn't successful because he took other people's products and wrapped his Apple brand around it. He had a unique gift for bringing a product to critical mass in a split-second.

The iPod wasn't just a pretty version of an mp3 player. Jobs battled a music industry that was extremely resistant to using mp3s because they viewed them as largely pirated media, and they were too old-fashioned to recognize that this is what consumers wanted. He created a market for mp3s that was way too big to ignore and that was the tipping point for the music industry to finally wake up to the idea that music had to be sold on a different platform. The iPhone wasn't just a phone that could do smart stuff. It required coordination of a lot of external software developers who could rapidly create enough apps to make the iPhone cool to use. If you don't believe that, take a look at how Blackberry screwed the pooch with RIM.

What I disagree with is I think you're presupposing that had Jobs not been around, these innovations would have hit the market anyway. Maybe so, but it would have taken a really long time. The product life cycle isn't smooth. Most revolutionary technologies hit what's called a life cycle chasm and never make it across. And until you cross that chasm, the technology runs into a ton of obstacles.

Silock
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-fuck-he-was-doing,26268/

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
You have clearly not watched The Social Network.

I did not... mostly because I knew ahead of time that it was HEAVILY fictionalized and adapted from a book that was told from the point of view of ONE PERSON. Much of the story told is disputed by multiple sources. So who knows what the real truth is. I won't defend Zuck.. I frankly have no clue on him.

Jobs is someone I have taken issue with since 1985, so I know his story.

Easy 6
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I've never been a big techie in awe of all of his accomplishments, but i have to say that the clip i keep seeing of him at the commencement address is very inspirational.

In essence 'we are all already naked (facing death), so pursue your dreams to the fullest', i really liked it.

We're only on this ride once, do what you love.

Silock
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I did not... mostly because I knew ahead of time that it was HEAVILY fictionalized and adapted from a book that was told from the point of view of ONE PERSON. Much of the story told is disputed by multiple sources. So who knows what the real truth is. I won't defend Zuck.. I frankly have no clue on him.

Just like you KNOW the man himself, right?

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Just like you KNOW the man himself, right?

No, but I KNOW the facts surrounding him and his actions.. Jesus, how fucking hard is that to understand. Yes, he may have changed his ways and become a sweetheart the last few years... but since I have ZERO evidence of that and an overwhelming amount of evidence showing him to be a prick for most of his life.. I'll go with what I KNOW.

Quit being dense. You don't KNOW Kim Jong-Il but I'd guess you could study up and know enough of his actions to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what kind of person he is. This isn't rocket surgery dude.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around people excusing him stealing from Woz. It's not like stealing an idea or stealing credit.. he directly STOLE money from him... that's beyond shitty. End of story.

Brooklyn
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
No, but I KNOW the facts surrounding him and his actions.. Jesus, how ****ing hard is that to understand. Yes, he may have changed his ways and become a sweetheart the last few years... but since I have ZERO evidence of that and and an overwhelming amount of evidence showing him to be a prick for most of his life.. I'll go with what I KNOW.

Quit being dense. You don't KNOW Kim Jong-Il but I'd guess you could study up and know enough of his actions to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what kind of person he is. This isn't rocket surgery dude.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around people excusing him stealing from Woz. It's not like stealing an idea or stealing credit.. he directly STOLE money from him... that's beyond shitty. End of story.

I think the sticking point here is being a prick and being a revolutionary and important figure aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, those that are the most influential have often been cited to be among the most dastardly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the guy, but I can definitely see those who believe that in exchange for his contributions he is above reproach for whatever underhanded shit he did.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I think the sticking point here is being a prick and being a revolutionary and important figure aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, those that are the most influential have often been cited to be among the most dastardly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the guy, but I can definitely see those who believe that in exchange for his contributions he is above reproach for whatever underhanded shit he did.

This is the part that I take exception to... I have no problem with everyone lauding his accomplishments (regardless of any arguments over who deserves credit, blah blah blah) but I have problems with the "sainthood" being applied to him by far too many people. Accomplishments NEVER NEVER NEVER can excuse being a bad person. Period. That type of thinking is wrong and frankly, dangerous as hell.

Yes he was a "visionary", yes he was a revolutionary... and he was also a bad human. Let's not forget that part too.

Just keeping it all in perspective.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
My cousin, lol

what Steve Jobs did was come up with a way to put smug in a box and sell it

Dave Lane
10-06-2011, 05:01 PM

So once he left Apple you got mad at him?

And how do you know the Jobs "stealing" $2000 is even true? I've had $2000 or more stolen from me so many times it has to be in the hundreds.

GordonGekko
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
and he was also a bad human. Let's not forget that part too...

Bad human? A bit judgmental here. I'm not exactly Jobs' biggest fan, but the guy was a f****** competitor. He was definitely not a saint, and if you'd asked him if he was he probably would of laughed. It sounds like you really just hate his fanboiys, who tend to be the real pricks. But I'd definitely not call anyone 'bad humans'. That's just judgmental and wrong.

I never had problems with Jobs, I liked his energy, charisma, and what he brought to the table. I'm not such a big fan of iTunes, or the gay colored iMacs back in the day.