PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock - Parcells behind two miserable franchises

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Brilliant. Lombardi lays a turd, and Jason flushes it with a TRUTH BOMB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bill-parcells-miami-dolphins-kansas-city-chiefs-big-tuna-responsible-for-two-of-the-worst-teams-in-the-nfl-100611

Longtime readers of my column know I delight in sharing secrets the Worldwide Leader in Sports would rather not have discussed. Today I’m delighted. Tickled pink. Giddy.

Bill Parcells, the ESPN know-it-all and media darling, is responsible for producing two of the worst teams in the NFL today — the Miami Dolphins and the Kansas City Chiefs.

This little-discussed fact occurred to me as I was reading Michael Lombardi’s column at NFL.com. Lombardi, a former general manager and a bright football mind, lamented the sorry plight of Chiefs general manager Scott “Egoli” Pioli. Lombardi expressed sympathy for Egoli because the 1-3, going-nowhere Chiefs have suffered several key injuries and because head coach Todd Haley acts like a 12-year-old most days.

I happen to think Egoli is a blowhard, a fraud, a bully and perfectly deserving of the comeuppance the 2011 season is delivering. He constructed a bad football team, empowered a childish, insecure head coach and implemented a top-down leadership strategy that relies on mean-spirited disrespect and intimidation from the front office and the coaching staff.

Where did Egoli learn this?

Not in New England. Not under Bill Belichick. The Patriots and Belichick rely on a core group of players for leadership. The players — even retired Patriots — police their own. That is why retired Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi verbally brutalized receiver Chad Ochocinco for innocent comments made on Twitter.

Again, so where did Egoli learn his leadership model?

From his father-in-law, “The Big Tuna,” the same man who birthed a massive coaching ego in Todd Haley.

As a member of the media, it’s important for me to mention that I like The Big Tuna. He’s a great quote. He’s good for my line of work. But his brilliance as a football genius might be a bit overblown because of his cozy relationship with the media in general and the New York media in particular. That is not written to diminish his two Super Bowl titles and his three Super Bowl appearances. However, The Big Tuna never coached in a Super Bowl without Belichick on his coaching staff. In fact, Parcells coached seven seasons in the NFL without Belichick on the coaching staff — three in New England and four in Dallas. Parcells’ record in those seven seasons was 55-57 in the regular season and 0-3 in the postseason.

Belichick’s career record without Parcels is currently 165-95, 15-6 and three Super Bowl titles.

Did I mention that Pioli married Parcells’ daughter more than a decade ago? Did I mention that Haley got his coaching start on Parcells’ New York Jets staff and considers Parcells his coaching mentor?

Pioli and Haley grew close to Parcells after The Big Tuna had won his two Super Bowls, after Mike Francesca and Mike Lupica convinced The Big Tuna he was God’s gift to Vince Lombardi.

Pioli and Haley — who joined Parcells and Belichick with the Jets — know the football cartoon caricature, the coaching legend whose ego told him to bolt New England after Super Bowl XXXI because it was unfair for owner Robert Kraft to ask him to “cook the dinner” without allowing him to shop “for some of the groceries.” Parcells was irate because Kraft overruled him on draft day in 1995 and made him select receiver Terry Glenn, who recorded a then-record-breaking rookie season and played a big role in New England’s Super Bowl run.

Parcells bequeathed his ego, bluster, arrogance and bully tactics to Haley and Pioli.

When Pioli landed the general manager job in Kansas City and couldn’t land Kirk Ferentz or Josh McDaniels and couldn’t stomach the idea of retaining Herm Edwards, Parcells bequeathed his son-in-law Todd Haley as head coach.

Pioli-Haley is a match made in football hell. I’m embarrassed to admit that I was the first media member to promote the marriage. I wrote about it in the aftermath of Arizona’s victory in the NFC Championship in 2009. At the time, I had no inkling of the size of Pioli’s ego and the irrational nature of Haley’s insecurity-driven false bravado. And I had no idea Pioli and Haley would both unveil bad Parcells impersonations.

I’m sure some of this sounds quite similar to the train wreck in Miami. Parcells fleeced the Dolphins for $16 million before quitting 2-1/2 years into his four-year rebuilding plan. As vice president of football operations and golf tee times, Parcells installed puppets Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano as general manager and head coach of the Dolphins.

Dollar Bill, who wrote himself a sweetheart, guaranteed-even-if-I-quit contract, bequeathed Ireland and Sparano ego, bluster, arrogance, bully tactics and little else. Ireland, if you remember, is the smooth operator who asked Dez Bryant if his mama was a ho. Ireland is also the clown who destroyed his relationship with Sparano by participating in the failed wooing of Jim Harbaugh.

The Dolphins are an irrelevant, winless mess. Why? Because you don’t build football franchises around the personalities of the men who don’t suit up. You build franchises around the players.

Since leaving New England, Dollar Bill Parcells has been trying to build a football franchise in his image. It hasn’t worked. And now his disciples are failing in Kansas City and Miami. The Chiefs, for my money, are the worst team in football. The Dolphins have no identity. Their identity quit and took his ego to ESPN for additional stroking.

It’s rather comical watching Parcells bloviate from Bristol. He pontificates from the pretense that he represents an old-school, traditional-values approach to team and winning. Dollar Bill is more hey-look-at-me than his “Countdown” colleague Me-shawn Johnson.

Amnorix
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM
JFC. This article is even more retarded than Fatlock's usual.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 06:04 AM
JFC. This article is even more retarded than Fatlock's usual.

Enter the The Patriot Way apologists!

Dragonocho
10-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Whitlock is to sports reporting what Whitlock is to anything else, except dinner. He rules there.

BigRock
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
If the Chiefs do knock off the Ravens in the first round, the primary credit should go to Pioli.

Pioli is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells and, from his days in New England, has mastered a Bill Belichick impersonation. And I mean that as a compliment. From his general manager’s office, Pioli has re-created some of the New England environment in Kansas City.

When I watch the Chiefs play, I see Pioli’s vision and fingerprints everywhere.

Haley was blessed with Pioli’s vision. In building Patriots West, KC’s general manager has stocked his roster with the kind of high-character, responsible players other teams talk about acquiring but rarely have the discipline to do so.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. It’s not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

January 2011: Jason Whitlock declares that Pioli learned the game working for Belichick, has mastered a Belichick impression, and is building "Patriots West".

Where did Egoli learn his leadership model?

Not in New England. Not under Bill Belichick.

October 2011: Jason Whitlock declares the complete opposite.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Learning the game /= learning a leadership model

BigRock
10-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Learning the game /= learning a leadership model

Pioli’s vision and fingerprints

Bill Belichick impersonation

building Patriots West

re-created the New England environment

What the hell do you think he's talking about?

Should I pile on further and quote the parts where he fawned over not only the 2010 draft of Team Captain All-Stars, but also the savvy free agent signings of guys like Jones and Lilja because of the leadership they brought to the team? The kind of player leadership and build-franchises-around-players lessons that now Pioli apparently didn't learn?

Because I can if you want.

MahiMike
10-06-2011, 06:57 AM
I really wish Jason could just get over us and leave KC alone...

PunkinDrublic
10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Wow Whitlocks insecurities are really showing in this article now more than ever before.

Jaric
10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Hell hath no fury like a Whitlock scorned. He's still pissed at us because Jeff George sucked and that was like 15 years ago.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Instead of a 600 word article, Whitlock could have simply said "The Chiefs and Dolphins are screwed because they missed on their 'franchise QBs' and need to get one ASAP."

CoMoChief
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Besides Eric berry and lilja ....what has pioli done while he's been here?

Reerun_KC
10-06-2011, 07:27 AM

obviously he did your mom, to be this bitter....

Lzen
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Is this a joke? Or are you truly this ignorant?

Reerun_KC
10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Is this a joke? Or are you truly this ignorant?

Its CoMo.... consider the source...

Lzen
10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
I stopped reading after about the 4th paragraph and seeing the term Egoli no less than 3 times. Jason sounds very insecure. What garbage.

Lzen
10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Its CoMo.... consider the source...

Touche.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Instead of a 600 word article, Whitlock could have simply said "The Chiefs and Dolphins are screwed because they missed on their 'franchise QBs' and need to get one ASAP."

This.....Bellichek didnt do anything in Cleveland when he had broked*ck Vinny Testaverde. Parcells had Simms when won in NY.

The Patriot Way is Tom "Freakin" Brady.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM

He ignored RT and NT in the drafts.

Amnorix
10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Enter the The Patriot Way apologists!

I'm not apologizing for Pioli. I wish him the best, but maybe he isn't that good a GM. Maybe it was BB all along.

But to pin Pioli's failures on Parcells is beyond retarded. BEYOND retarded.

Amnorix
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
This.....Bellichek didnt do anything in Cleveland when he had broked*ck Vinny Testaverde. Parcells had Simms when won in NY.

The Patriot Way is Tom "Freakin" Brady.

Inherited Browns team that went 3-13 in 1990.

Went 6-10, then 7-9 7-9 through 1993.

1994 went to the playoffs on an 11-5 record and beat the Parcells Patriots.

But yes, no coach can succeed with at least a decent QB. Is that surprising? Every multiple SB winning coach except Gibbs had a very good or great QB.

TEX
10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Where was all this talk last year? :hmmm:

loochy
10-06-2011, 07:50 AM
How does Whitlock have a job?

Deberg_1990
10-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Inherited Browns team that went 3-13 in 1990.

Went 6-10, then 7-9 7-9 through 1993.

1994 went to the playoffs on an 11-5 record and beat the Parcells Patriots.

But yes, no coach can succeed with at least a decent QB. Is that surprising? Every multiple SB winning coach except Gibbs had a very good or great QB.

You can have decent teams without a "franchise QB"

But for sustained success you must have one. A top QB will also cover for and disguise holes in the rest of your team.

Chiefshrink
10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
January 2011: Jason Whitlock declares that Pioli learned the game working for Belichick, has mastered a Belichick impression, and is building "Patriots West".

Whittard is counting on the masses to have short term memory. NOT!!!

Articles like this start appearing when there is just frustration all the way around when you have a Murphy's Law type of season and especially when your QB has not progressed.

lcarus
10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I stopped reading after about the 4th paragraph and seeing the term Egoli no less than 3 times. Jason sounds very insecure. What garbage.

He's really holding one hell of a grudge isn't he?

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
You guys need to chill out. After Lombardi's garbage, this was warranted.

wazu
10-06-2011, 08:20 AM
The Big Tuna never coached in a Super Bowl without Belichick on his coaching staff. In fact, Parcells coached seven seasons in the NFL without Belichick on the coaching staff — three in New England and four in Dallas. Parcells’ record in those seven seasons was 55-57 in the regular season and 0-3 in the postseason.

Always find these types of statements to be ridiculous. Part of being a head coach is recognizing and developing talented assistants, and leveraging their strengths and abilities. If Parcells were CEO for a technology company, and gave opportunities to a talented young engineer to develop something new, and then it became a massively successful line of business that doubled profits, Whitlock would claim that Parcells is over-rated for not inventing it himself.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Whittard is counting on the masses to have short term memory. NOT!!!

Articles like this start appearing when there is just frustration all the way around when you have a Murphy's Law type of season and especially when your QB has not progressed.

exactly. It also reeks of JW's trademark "See, i told you all months ago" and "Let me pat myself on the back for being the first to point it out" type of columns.

ChiefsCountry
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
None of this is new information of course alot of this was brought up when Pioli was hired right here on CP. But of course since Whitlock wrote it, its now hated.

Bob Dole
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Rambling rant much, Jason? JFC.

PunkinDrublic
10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Whitlock has been the only columnist who has consistantly tried running the Scott Egoli has an ego out of control, Haley is insecure narrative that he's desperate to latch on to anything that remotely goes along with what he says. Pioli did something that hurt Whitlocks massive ego and now Jason is continuing to do what fat guys with insecurity issues tend to do and that's lash out. It's sad to see someone who is a talented writer compromise that talent because he has to lash out due to his own issues.

Dr. Gigglepants
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
To say the Chiefs are the worst team in football when teams like STL, MIA, SEA, MIN, and IND are playing the kind of football they are right now just screams of butthurt. I think we have a good chance of winning at Indy this week, then we're 2-3 going into the bye, with 4 winnable games coming up.

After all of our injuries, to have the chance to go from 0-3 to 6-3 is amazing. I don't really know who we are yet, but I see a team that definitely hasn't quit. Are people really still thinking we have a chance for Luck? We don't, we're by far not the worst team in this league. We do have a chance to get a high pick, though, and get one of the other good qb's that will be in this draft.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
To say the Chiefs are the worst team in football when teams like STL, MIA, SEA, MIN, and IND are playing the kind of football they are right now just screams of butthurt. I think we have a good chance of winning at Indy this week, then we're 2-3 going into the bye, with 4 winnable games coming up.

After all of our injuries, to have the chance to go from 0-3 to 6-3 is amazing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/r8xm4o.jpg

Marcellus
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Has anyone ever seen Clay and Whitlock in the same room at the same time?

Dr. Gigglepants
10-06-2011, 08:46 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/24x0wtv.gif

Lzen
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
You guys need to chill out. After Lombardi's garbage, this was warranted.

They're both garbage pieces.

Lzen
10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
None of this is new information of course alot of this was brought up when Pioli was hired right here on CP. But of course since Whitlock wrote it, its now hated.

I thought it was BS then and I think it is BS now. Feel better?

ChiefsCountry
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought it was BS then and I think it is BS now. Feel better?

What's so BS about Parcells being overrated and never having won anything without Belicheick? Its the fucking truth.

Lzen
10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
What's so BS about Parcells being overrated and never having won anything without Belicheick? Its the ****ing truth.

I was specifically talking about the negativity toward Pioli.

Dallas Chief
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow Whitlocks insecurities are really showing in this article now more than ever before.
This. This. This. I feel sorry for JW. Talk about lacking an identity. He has become more of a punchline than ever.

Hootie
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM

stopped reading after this post

pwned Whitlock

LOCOChief
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I had a friend bring up this article at my Rotary this morning (in S. Florida) He said " yeah this Whitlock guy calls your GM Egoli and says Haley sucks and probably will be out of work before the bye"

I then had to give him a little background on fatass and his days with the Star, but that really is some dirt to be flying all the way down here in the swamp. I'm ready for the fucker to choke on a bone, I don't care who's.

FringeNC
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM

The 180s remind me of another CP'er around here...if I could just think of his name...He's a big Whitlock fan.

Iconic
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Whitlock is one of the best reporters of all time. So much passion and deama. My fucking hero.

Inspector
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Ok, I'll admit I'm no expert on the family connection here so these 2 lines quoted below have me confused. (But that is easy to do and happens a lot)

"Did I mention that Pioli married Parcells’ daughter more than a decade ago?"

"Parcells bequeathed his son-in-law Todd Haley as head coach"

So, does Parcells have 2 daughters, one married to Pioli and the other to Haley, or did Pioli divorce her and then Haley married her later?

WTF?

King_Chief_Fan
10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
The 180s remind me of another CP'er around here...if I could just think of his name...He's a big Whitlock fan.

here's a hint: his initials are GoChiefs

MMXcalibur
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Egoli....haha, oh man, that just NEVER gets old!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Whitlock loses credibility when he flip flops on these guys and makes it personal, which is too bad, because the stuff he points out in this article about Parcells' failures are completely accurate.

There is no more overrated figure in NFL history than Bill Parcells.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Whitlock loses credibility when he flip flops on these guys and makes it personal, which is too bad, because the stuff he points out in this article about Parcells' failures are completely accurate.

There is no more overrated figure in NFL history than Bill Parcells.

I understand the goal is to win Super Bowls but saying Parcells' career is full of failures is a bit of a stretch, when he was the first coach to bring 4 different teams to the playoffs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I understand the goal is to win Super Bowls but saying Parcells' career is full of failures is a bit of a stretch, when he was the first coach to bring 4 different teams to the playoffs.

I didn't say his career was full of failures. Maybe Whitlock did. I did say he was accurate to point out his failures, which include undermining his team the week of the Super Bowl, his inability to ever win in the playoffs without Bill Belichick, and the disastrous state he left the Dolphins in.

The hard part of this is the nuance. The guy undoubtedly was a good coach. The problem arises when the hype machine turns a good coach into the greatest football mind of all time. He's not even close to that. You don't have to be terrible to be terribly overrated.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I didn't say his career was full of failures. Maybe Whitlock did. I did say he was accurate to point out his failures, which include undermining his team the week of the Super Bowl, his inability to ever win in the playoffs without Bill Belichick, and the disastrous state he left the Dolphins in.

The hard part of this is the nuance. The guy undoubtedly was a good coach. The problem arises when the hype machine turns a good coach into the greatest football mind of all time. He's not even close to that. You don't have to be terrible to be terribly overrated.

The big problem with Parcells, IMO, is that he knew he wasn't going to be around long. Because of that, he didn't want to bother with drafting and developing his own young QB. He was fine bringing in Testaverde, an old Bledsoe, and O'Donnell.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
The big problem with Parcells, IMO, is that he knew he wasn't going to be around long. Because of that, he didn't want to bother with drafting and developing his own young QB. He was fine bringing in Testaverde, an old Bledsoe, and O'Donnell.

Which is ironic given that he ended up hanging around in various forms for another 20 years after his original expiration date.

Rausch
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Why? Because you don’t build football franchises around the personalities of the men who don’t suit up. You build franchises around the players.

Whut?...

Rausch
10-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Bledsoe lead him to a SB so I don't know that I'd consider that a bad move...

Chiefnj2
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Bledsoe lead him to a SB so I don't know that I'd consider that a bad move...

Bledsoe in Dallas.

Rausch
10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Bledsoe in Dallas.

No, that guy sucked...

WhiteWhale
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM

To be fair, I recall the late 90's and the early 00's were pretty thin on QB talent league-wide.

After NY Parcells was nothing more than a mercenary. He took short-cuts to success and then left after a few years and let other people clean it up.

chiefzilla1501
10-06-2011, 03:23 PM

I don't think you can call him overrated. In each coaching gig he accepted, he turned a sub .500 franchise and turned them into a playoff team within 3 seasons. And every team he coached was better after he left.

There's a pretty short track record of coaches who have made a Super Bowl with multiple franchises. And in each of his 3 post-Giants gigs, he wasn't really around long enough to say he failed because he didn't make a Super Bowl. Super Bowls are incredibly difficult for any coach, especially when you have a 3-4 year road map.

Parcells deserves every bit of credit as a coach as he gets. His tree is what's overrated.

whoman69
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't think you can even blame him for the Dolphins. What was his title while he was there? He got his guy in there as coach and it went well immediately. However Parcelles was pushed out of the organization. The organization should lay the blame on itself as they are the ones who courted a head coach without firing the guy they had first and then having to go back to say the supported the guy in there. They didn't want to give enough to get a QB this year and now are really screwed there. They will be fighting it out with the Colts for Luck.
Now Whitlock says that the Chiefs are his fault because Pioli used Parcelles as a pattern more than Bellicheck and then states the Piolio is trying to build Patriots west. Which way is it?

BossChief
10-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Parcells didn't win without Billicheck

Billicheck didn't win without Romeo Crennel.

Shit, did Parcells win anything without Crennel?

You know what means more than all that hoopla?

NOBODY WINS SHIT WITHOUT A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

If The Parcells tree never had Phil Simms or Tom Brady, they would be just like every other coaching tree that exists.

It really is as simple as that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Parcells didn't win without Billicheck

Billicheck didn't win without Romeo Crennel.

Shit, did Parcells win anything without Crennel?

You know what means more than all that hoopla?

NOBODY WINS SHIT WITHOUT A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

If The Parcells tree never had Phil Simms or Tom Brady, they would be just like every other coaching tree that exists.

It really is as simple as that.

Without Romeo Crennel, Bill Belichick was a helmet catch away from having the universally-acclaimed greatest team of all time. That's a little different than getting curb stomped in every playoff appearance.

Your statement about QBs, however, is inarguable. Oh to go back to the Fall of 2008 on here...

Easy 6
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Why in the blue hell didnt you just acknowledge his presence at that dinner Pioli?

It would've saved so much wasted print.

Valiant
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM

I would send that to another journalist that does not like Whitlock and see what he can do with it..

BossChief
10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
That's a little different than getting curb stomped in every playoff appearance.

His team got beat by Carolina the year the Panthers went to the SB 29-10.

That was his first year in Dallas, though. Quincy Carter. 5 win team the previous year and 10 or 11 wins Parcells first year there.

His next appearance was the game his team should have won if it weren't for Tony Romo (a quarterback who Parcells groomed over the course of a couple years into a legit franchise qb quality player) totally shitting the bed at the very end.

Not quite what most would call "getting curb stomped in every playoff appearance."

HemiEd
10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
How does Whitlock have a job?

People keep reading his crap. I saw this article on line earlier, and was not going to post in this thread, but here I am.

He gets a reaction, nothing more. His bitterness lately has been disgusting.

HemiEd
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Why in the blue hell didn't you just let him have the last biscuit at that dinner Pioli?

It would've saved so much wasted print.

fixed it for you