PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF Grades the Chiefs, Week 5

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
1. From a receiving standpoint, it was the third-best game of Bowe's career, bested only by last year's efforts against Houston and Seattle. Bowe leads the league in tackles avoided.

2. Branden Albert held his own against Freeney. 0 pressures, 1 sack, 1 QB hit.

3. The whole OL played well apart from Richardson, who gave up 4 pressures and a sack.

4. Dexter McCluster played all of 12 snaps. The lowest total of his career.

5. Matt Cassel completed 6 of 7 passes over 10 yards.

6. The Chiefs threw at Jacob Lacey 13 times. They must read PFF, because he is the fourth worst cover man in the league. His buddy, Jerraud Powers, is right behind him, explaining Matt Cassel's 257-yard explosion.

7. Kelly Gregg played his best game of the year.

8. Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey were again solid in run defense. They are both in the top 10 in run defense for their position.

9. Tamba Hali was invisible and the Chiefs only had 2 pressures.

10. Justin Houston got off the schneid with 10 rushes and 1 QB hit.

11. Derrick Johnson was a beast again, with a +3.2 and 3 stops. He has a +8.8 for the year and 14 stops, which is bad freaking ass. 4th in the league overall and 2nd against the run.

12. The Chiefs only missed 4 tackles.

13. As everyone knows, Flowers was burnt toast in this game. 6 targets, 5 catches, 125 yards, 2 TD. He has given up 7 TD this year.

14. Leonard Pope is challenging for the worst tight end in football.

15. Sabby Pissandshitty played 1 snap. He remains the worst safety in football.

IN OTHER NEWS

Jarrad Page leads the league in missed tackles.

Skyy God
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Yea, $10M man! Seriously, wouldn't it have made more sense to sign Joseph (assuming he fits the scheme) and trade B-Flow.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 10:37 AM
In fact, Mr. Cassel, the Colts are the worst pass coverage team in the league.

SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER!

the Talking Can
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
front 7 is getting it together against the run

Albert continues to be awesome

Titty Meat
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Why isn't Gaither the starting RT?

FringeNC
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Obviously Flowers was burned once. On quite a few of the other throws, it was flawless execution by the Colts - the coverage was good.

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2011, 10:46 AM
IIRC, the sack "against" Albert should have been credited to Cassel for holding the ball.

Dude played a great game Sunday, and has been pretty damn solid all year.

The Franchise
10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Flowers has no fucking safety help at all.

Deberg_1990
10-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Is Flowers a bust?

The Franchise
10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Is Flowers a bust?

Really?

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
IIRC, the sack "against" Albert should have been credited to Cassel for holding the ball.

Dude played a great game Sunday, and has been pretty damn solid all year.

Albert never stopped Freeney at all. It was a pretty bad play on his part. Cassel completed a play fake and Freeney was on him.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Flowers is making mental mistakes from trying to hard.

He knows the secondary is vulnerable because of Berry's injury, so you see him come off his coverage to help where he thinks the ball is going. He needs to focus on his own job and not worry about the rest of the field until the ball is thrown.

Titty Meat
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Flowers has been hurt the past few weeks and a few of those TD's were from Megatron which doesn't count because there isn't a CB in the league who can stop that guy.

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Albert never stopped Freeney at all. It was a pretty bad play on his part. Cassel completed a play fake and Freeney was on him.

I remember the play now.

That play seemed to take forever to develop due to the fake, that's why I was thinking Cassel held the ball too long.

ModSocks
10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Flowers is making mental mistakes from trying to hard.

He knows the secondary is vulnerable because of Berry's injury, so you see him come off his coverage to help where he thinks the ball is going. He needs to focus on his own job and not worry about the rest of the field until the ball is thrown.

Pretty much this coupled with the fact that Teams aren't really throwing at Carr.

Direckshun
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Piscitelli

ModSocks
10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Piscitelli

Didn't even see him on the Field on Sunday.

Flowers blew the coverage. Plain and simple.

Nightfyre
10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
convert Sabby to a QB and Cassel to a safety...

Hey, it can only get better.

Direckshun
10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Didn't even see him on the Field on Sunday.

Flowers blew the coverage. Plain and simple.

Was trying to see if there was an auto-correct on his last name, or if PFF really called him Pissandshitty.

Rausch
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
convert Sabby to a QB and Cassel to a safety...

Hey, it can only get better.

Casshole was a TE in college. Might be time for a position change...

Three7s
10-11-2011, 12:02 PM
All these excuses about Flowers....

I loved how Flowers played last year, but this year he has been shit, period. He's constantly getting burned because he's trying to be more aggressive to get more interceptions. He isn't an interception guy and he shouldn't be trying to be that. So far, it's been like watching Warfield out there in coverage.

BoneKrusher
10-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I loved how Flowers played last year, but this year he has been shit, period. He's constantly getting burned because he's trying to be more aggressive to get more interceptions. He isn't an interception guy and he shouldn't be trying to be that. So far, it's been like watching Warfield out there in coverage.

i'm a Va Tech fan and have always thought Flowers was the real deal but i agree, his play has been really bad this season.

The Franchise
10-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Once again.....the dude has no help on the back end.

Mr. Laz
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
front 7 is getting it together against the run

Albert continues to be awesome
LMAO

TC continues his battle for Albert every chance he gets.

Three7s
10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Once again.....the dude has no help on the back end.
All the best cover guys don't get help. His job is simply to blanket his receiver and not get fooled by play action. He stated before the season even began that he wanted to be more aggressive and get more interceptions. The result is burnt toast. If he steps it up and plays more like last year, then I'll eat crow, but it sure as hell won't be because of safety help.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I disagree. Look at a lot of the catches he gives up, not all of them, but a lot of them. He has damned good coverage, such as against V.Jackson, and the QB and WR just make a good play. It might be the lack of wingspan on account of him being short, but he's not generally in bad position, that said, I have yet to watch a bunch of the Colts game. Family obligations are fast becoming the bane of my existence as a Chiefs fan this season. Worst it's ever been. We'll get it d/l'ed though.

the Talking Can
10-11-2011, 12:43 PM
LMAO

TC continues his battle for Albert every chance he gets.

?

don't need to battle, I've been right all along

I just like pointing it out to idiots.

mcaj22
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I did not notice but who is playing or taking away Sabby's snaps at SS?

a combo of McGraw and ????. Donald Washington? Langford?

Three7s
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I did not notice but who is playing or taking away Sabby's snaps at SS?

a combo of McGraw and ????. Donald Washington? Langford?
Yep, McGraw and Washington.

cdcox
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I remember the play now.

That play seemed to take forever to develop due to the fake, that's why I was thinking Cassel held the ball too long.

Not only did ut take a long time to develop, but Cassel's back was to the LOS during the fake. Cassel takes so long to make his reads that you need to let him look downfield for as long as possible. Terrible play call in that situation (2nd and long if I remember).

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Third and long.

Anyong Bluth
10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
i'm a Va Tech fan and have always thought Flowers was the real deal but i agree, his play has been really bad this season.

I'm not making excuses for the guy- his play has been bad, it is what it is. I do think the lack of safety help is causing him to adjust his play, and it wouldnt surprise me if he's more injured than what they say, b/c the guy is not known for sitting himself & has played thru injuries in the past that others may have sat out for. Like I said, not excuses, just factoring in all relevant info bc its strange how good he's been compared to his play this year.

suzzer99
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Flowers will be fine. Worst case scenario he gets too slow and has to become a bad-ass hitting safety.

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
It's good to see the Oline consistently getting better. If Gaither replaces Richardson, Rich wouldn't become a bad swing tackle. Then we get Hudson to play C and with a LG we have a pretty good oline. The front seven is really playing pretty well in run defense. If we can get Houston to become more consistent the pashrush should get better obviously. It got off to a slow start this season and came out flat against the Colts but the defense is starting to shape up. I think all the hype about needing a new ILB should quiet down. DJ is finally becoming what he was drafted to be. When E. Berry comes back next year it's going to be a really solid unit to pair with our new shiny starting qb.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
It's good to see the Oline consistently getting better. If Gaither replaces Richardson, Rich wouldn't become a bad swing tackle. Then we get Hudson to play C and with a LG we have a pretty good oline. The front seven is really playing pretty well in run defense. If we can get Houston to become more consistent the pashrush should get better obviously. It got off to a slow start this season and came out flat against the Colts but the defense is starting to shape up. I think all the hype about needing a new ILB should quiet down. DJ is finally becoming what he was drafted to be. When E. Berry comes back next year it's going to be a really solid unit to pair with our new shiny starting qb.

It's not DJ they're looking to replace, it's Belcher. He's been alright, and definitely ascending, question is where is his ceiling?

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:16 PM
It's not DJ they're looking to replace, it's Belcher. He's been alright, and definitely ascending, question is where is his ceiling?

I know. I really like the way Belcher plays. We don't need a high draft pick or great player at the thumper. We just need someone to be solid and play disciplined football. I think Belcher is doing that now, in his third season playing hte position.

I also think it is very telling that we get solid play out of our NT rotation, look what our ILBs start doing. I really like the way Gordon is playing.

CaliforniaChief
10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Not worried about Flowers. Pestilence is right, there's no help behind him and it's affecting him this year. Long term, he'll be great.

Happy to see Albert playing so well. I hadn't even heard his name lately, which means he's doing his job.

BossChief
10-11-2011, 03:29 PM
The long touchdown on Flowers was a combination of two things:

1) He bit really bad on a pump fake

2) our safeties are junk

this defense needs to be tying to get more pressure to take some of the heat off this secondary...the tough part of that is hearing Romeos interviews where he talks about not changing the scheme.

Disapointing.

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
The long touchdown on Flowers was a combination of two things:

1) He bit really bad on a pump fake

2) our safeties are junk

this defense needs to be tying to get more pressure to take some of the heat off this secondary...the tough part of that is hearing Romeos interviews where he talks about not changing the scheme.

Disapointing.

The defense needs to play the rest of the year like they did the whole second half. Romeo needs to figure out that with this secondary, if we are gonna get beat it might as well be by "overblitzing" if thats a word. He doesn't need to blitz every down but he needs to not be so predictable. Mix it up.

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not really worried about Flowers. I think he is still a little bit gimpy and is just taking too many risks to make up for Berry being out.

Speaking of safties, there are going to be some pretty good ones coming up in F/A this year. Don't remember who said it and I'm to lazy to look it up but Lewis needs to be playing Mcgraws role.

BossChief
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I put that play more on the safeties because Flowers jumps routes...thats who he is as a player. He did so a lot more last year when he knew Berry was behind him if his gamble didnt pay off...he HAD to think he had safety help before he gambled on what turned out to be a pumpfake.

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I put that play more on the safeties because Flowers jumps routes...thats who he is as a player. He did so a lot more last year when he knew Berry was behind him if his gamble didnt pay off...he HAD to think he had safety help before he gambled on what turned out to be a pumpfake.

But the coverage we were in I don't think he can jump that route. I think we were in a 3 deep coverage with one safety in the middle. I can't remember exactly but He has to stay with the deepest reciever on that third of the field. He was just being aggressive which is fine but not as much in that situation, if the coverage was that.

BossChief
10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
He probably didnt think Painter was gonna do him like that.

O.city
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
He probably didnt think Painter was gonna do him like that.

I think that was the whole defensive thing in the first half. They came out thinking Painter couldnt do what he did. It's a good lesson for a young defense to lear.

whoman69
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I know Flowers has been getting burnt this year, but I think his coverage has been, with a few exceptions, fairly good. QBs are very skilled in throwing that ball over top the coverage and the safety help has not been there.

Richardson has been horrible against the pass. I think he also had a penalty against him, but I could be wrong there. I wonder if they can sub in Gaither for just pass coverage. Know that's not usually done, but in this case its needed.

Finally no talk of Check Down other than to say he needs to be better in the first half.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Kansas City – Three Performances of Note

1) Battle tank

The Colts’ defense is built around speed and pursuit, and when the Chiefs decided to give them a healthy dose of 238lb Jackie Battle (+3.3), you suspected that they might be in trouble. Battle racked up 119 yards on 19 carries, with 76 yards coming after contact. He also forced three missed tackles on his way to a decisive performance, giving balance to a passing offense, which stepped up this week. The Chiefs fed the ball to him late in the game and against a tiring defense, Battle was able to put this game away. Battle was positively graded for seven runs in the second half and while they didn’t score a rushing touchdown, Battle’s running set most of their touchdowns up. His 24 yard run barreling through the heart of the Colts’ defense prior to the two minute warning in the fourth quarter all but closed this game out.

2) The passing game showing signs of life

After two poor games to open the season, Kansas City’s passing game has really started to up their game over the past two weeks. Dwayne Bowe and Matt Cassel have led the attack, but this week Steve Breaston (+1.8) and Keary Colbert joined the party with key plays on the game winning drive. The hook up between Cassel (+3.6) and Bowe (+2.8) is crucial though and these two victimized Jacob Lacey (-6.5) in this game and if the Chiefs are to somehow make a meaningful defense of their AFC West title they need to ride their current wave of momentum for many weeks yet. With the loss of Tony Moeaki, the second contributor in the passing game is still yet to be filled. Breaston is capable to fill that role until the Chiefs can get rookie Jonathan Baldwin on the field to see what he is capable of. Until then, they need Breaston to elevate his game and come up with more plays like the crisp routes he ran to get behind the coverage for his game winning touchdown reception.

3) Kelly Gregg is re-discovering his best form

Re-acquainted with a familiar foe from his time in Baltimore, Kelly Gregg (+4.3) re-discovered his best form against Indianapolis this weekend. Gregg has struggled with consistency thus far in Kansas City, but against Jeff Saturday Gregg looked like the stubborn nuisance who was such a crucial presence in the heart of the Baltimore Ravens defense for much of the last decade. The Colts averaged only marginally over two yards per carry on rushes on either side of Saturday as he simply couldn’t handle Gregg one on one or pass him off to his guards cleanly. Gregg’s stop in the backfield just after the two minute warning in the second quarter is probably the headline play here, but truth be told Gregg was coming up with plays to stymy Saturday all day long.

Indianapolis – Three Performances of Note

1) Offensive tackles up their game to silence Hali

Tamba Hali had his most ineffective game as a pass rusher (only one pressure) since week 10 last season in Denver. Against tackles Jeff Linkenbach (+0.6 pass protection) and Quinn Ojinnaka (+0.6 pass protection) it would not have been reasonable to have expected a big day from Hali, but that simply didn’t transpire. The Colts got help for their tackles keeping in tight ends and running backs, which inhibited Hali from making an impact. The offensive line elevated its game and so did offensive co-ordinator Clyde Christensen, who adjusted his gameplan knowing full well that Curtis Painter isn’t Peyton Manning. The Colts bought Painter more time in the pocket and while it didn’t lead to a victory, it did allow Painter to put in his best performance as a professional.

2) Promising display from a defensive tackle

It’s not often that Indianapolis fans have been treated to strong displays from their interior defensive linemen, but this week at least one of them showed up ready to play and contribute in a positive way. Ricardo Mathews (+2.5) recorded a career high 24 snaps and showed good athleticism, range and smarts to make plays as a pass rusher, run stopper and even the instincts to get out and cover passes. On one drive in the second quarter, Mathews really flashed his potential. On 1st and 10 with just over 12 minutes left in the second quarter, Mathews tracked down a running back releasing from the backfield to knock the pass down in coverage and then later in the drive, on the ensuing third down, was able to beat Barry Richardson to get deep into the backfield and bat a pass down in the pocket. Combined with a third down stop in the fourth quarter where he tracked down yet another pass play, Mathews flashed the kind of ability that should see him earning more snaps in weeks to come. Amongst the Colts’ defensive tackles, so far this season only the currently injured Drake Nevis has been as impressive as Mathews was this week.

3) Painter and the triplets

With a couple of big plays on Monday night Curtis Painter (+5.1) started to show a little more familiarity with this Indianapolis offense and he flourished in the opening half of this game. The only player that Painter struggled to click with was Dallas Clark, but all of his other threats (Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie and Pierre Garҫon) were targeted for big plays. Barring five drops by his receivers, Painter’s day could have been even better and his time with the starters appears to be paying off to the extent that questions may be raised about Kerry Collins regaining his starting spot when he shakes off his concussion. Painter’s link with Garҫon is proving to be the most profitable for him, his deep touchdown hook up in the second quarter showing a good chemistry between the two and an ability for Painter to manipulate the coverage getting in behind Brandon Flowers for the score.

Game Notes

● Two safeties and two linebackers played 100% of defensive snaps in this game: Jon McGraw and Derrick Johnson for the Chiefs and Antoine Bethea and Pat Angerer for the Colts.

● Brandon Flowers yielded almost as many yards in coverage in this game as he had in the Chiefs’ first four. Flowers conceded 125 this week having conceded 150 in the first four weeks.

● Matt Cassel controlled the intermediate throws this week. Cassel went 6/6 for 89 yards on a touchdown on passes aimed between 10 and 19 yards downfield.

PFF Game Ball

Jackie Battle, RB, Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs found an injection of energy in their running game this week for the first time since the loss of Jamaal Charles and that came in the shape of Jackie Battle. Battle was quick to find and get through gaps and brought a physical presence dominating the Colts’ linebackers and safeties at times.

TEX
10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
When are the Chiefs going to replace Richardson??????

whoman69
10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
When are the Chiefs going to replace Richardson??????

Gaither is still showing on the roster. He must not be ready to go yet.

O.city
10-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Gaither has played some. Only thing I can think of is they wanna see him play a little while before they start him? I really duno. He is obviously better than Rich.

chuxtrux
10-11-2011, 07:41 PM
How did Belcher and Lewis do?

Dave Lane
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
What, wait??

Tyson Jackson was again solid in run defense. He is in the top 10 in run defense

but but but 2009 gasp...

Chiefnj2
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Is the +3.6 for Cassel and the +5.1 for Painter the grades for this weeks game?

Seems awfully high for Painter when they didn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Is the +3.6 for Cassel and the +5.1 for Painter the grades for this weeks game?

Seems awfully high for Painter when they didn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

Yes.

Painter was on fire in the first half.

Chiefnj2
10-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes.

I know he had a great 1st half. But, his 2nd half was a total complete crapfest.

Dave Lane
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM

He has been hurt High Ankle Sprain they suck and linger

aturnis
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes.

Don't they weight their scoring for situation or just score play by play?

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I know he had a great 1st half. But, his 2nd half was a total complete crapfest.

Yeah, he only completed 3 passes in the 2nd half. Crennel made some nice adjustments.

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
What, wait??

Tyson Jackson was again solid in run defense. He is in the top 10 in run defense

but but but 2009 gasp...

Finally might become a solid player. He will never live up to his draft position.

The 3rd yr is certainly key for DL

milkman
10-11-2011, 08:33 PM

At one point in the game, about mid third quarter, Cassel and Painter had the exact same number of completions and attempts, but Painter had roughly 70 more yards passing.

Dink was doing what Dink does.

Dave Lane
10-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Funny thing is almost no one from 2009 first round did.

See Aaron Curry.

-King-
10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
At one point in the game, about mid third quarter, Cassel and Painter had the exact same number of completions and attempts, but Painter had roughly 70 more yards passing.

Eh, but his numbers were inflated by that one long pass to Garcon.

Chiefnj2
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM

This isn't about Cassel. It's about Painter having a really good grade, yet having a horrible 2nd half.

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Eh, but his numbers were inflated by that one long pass to Garcon.

Worst argument ever. Last I checked, that pass counted for 6 points just like the 3 yard slant Cassel threw to Bowe, who ran another 40 some-odd yards.

I guess Cassel's numbers were inflated by that play?

We could play that game every week, in every game.

milkman
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Cassel had 21 completeions for 257 yards, while Painter had 15 completions for 277 yards.

Painter was making throws downfield.

I don't believe that Cassel threw more than 4 passes that actually traveld more than 10 yards in the air.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
1. From a receiving standpoint, it was the third-best game of Bowe's career, bested only by last year's efforts against Houston and Seattle. Bowe leads the league in tackles avoided.

2. Branden Albert held his own against Freeney. 0 pressures, 1 sack, 1 QB hit.

3. The whole OL played well apart from Richardson, who gave up 4 pressures and a sack.

4. Dexter McCluster played all of 12 snaps. The lowest total of his career.

5. Matt Cassel completed 6 of 7 passes over 10 yards.

6. The Chiefs threw at Jacob Lacey 13 times. They must read PFF, because he is the fourth worst cover man in the league. His buddy, Jerraud Powers, is right behind him, explaining Matt Cassel's 257-yard explosion.

7. Kelly Gregg played his best game of the year.

8. Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey were again solid in run defense. They are both in the top 10 in run defense for their position.

9. Tamba Hali was invisible and the Chiefs only had 2 pressures.

10. Justin Houston got off the schneid with 10 rushes and 1 QB hit.

11. Derrick Johnson was a beast again, with a +3.2 and 3 stops. He has a +8.8 for the year and 14 stops, which is bad freaking ass. 4th in the league overall and 2nd against the run.

12. The Chiefs only missed 4 tackles.

13. As everyone knows, Flowers was burnt toast in this game. 6 targets, 5 catches, 125 yards, 2 TD. He has given up 7 TD this year.

14. Leonard Pope is challenging for the worst tight end in football.

15. Sabby Pissandshitty played 1 snap. He remains the worst safety in football.

IN OTHER NEWS

Jarrad Page leads the league in missed tackles.

Apparently he threw 7 over 10yds...

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Unsure how NFL.com's play-by-play breaks down the difference between "short" and "deep" but they only have Cassel down for 4 "deep" throws, 2 of them being incomplete.

Regardless, someone is wrong, because PFF had him going 6/7 over 10 yards. Looks like he missed more than once.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a feeling a 10 yard pass (or 12) isn't necessarily considered a deep pass by NFL statistics

cdcox
10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
15 yards is a long pass. Anything less is a short pass.

patteeu
10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
It's good to see the Oline consistently getting better. If Gaither replaces Richardson, Rich wouldn't become a bad swing tackle. Then we get Hudson to play C and with a LG we have a pretty good oline.

Agree. Unfortunately, Lilja and Richardson make up 40% of the line at the moment.

Why isn't Gaither the starting RT?

Gaither has played some. Only thing I can think of is they wanna see him play a little while before they start him? I really duno. He is obviously better than Rich.

Richardson has been horrible against the pass. I think he also had a penalty against him, but I could be wrong there. I wonder if they can sub in Gaither for just pass coverage. Know that's not usually done, but in this case its needed.

According to PFF, Gaither has played 3 snaps. I don't know why they haven't moved him into the starting lineup at RT.

This issue made me wonder how the Raven's tackles are doing and I was surprised to see how bad their PFF grades are. Among players who have played at least half the snaps for their team:

Bryant McKinnie - 20th ranked LT

Michael Oher - 21st ranked RT

By contrast,

Branden Albert - 8th ranked LT

Barry Richardson - 27th ranked RT

Gaither has to be better than Richardson, doesn't he?

milkman
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Agree. Unfortunately, Lilja and Richardson make up 40% of the line at the moment.

According to PFF, Gaither has played 3 snaps. I don't know why they haven't moved him into the starting lineup at RT.

This issue made me wonder how the Raven's tackles are doing and I was surprised to see how bad their PFF grades are.
Bryant McKinnie is the 20th ranked LT among players who have played at least half the snaps for their team (and most of them at LT).

Michael Oher is the 21st ranked RT
By contrast,
Branden Albert is ranked 8th among LTs and Barry Richardson is ranked way down at 27th among RTs.
Gaither has to be better than Richardson, doesn't he?

Until injuries and other issues beset Gaither, he was an outstanding LT, and he has the physical tools to be a dominating RT, when healthy.

There's more going on here than we know.

Lzen
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM

That would be a terrible idea. Doing so would take away some of the effectiveness of draws and play action. Not to mention simply the element of surprise.

Also of note, I saw Richardson screw up on some run blocking, as well. I think Gaither should be the full time RT immediately.

ct
10-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Funny thing is almost no one from 2009 first round did.

See Aaron Curry.

I think BJ Raji has done ok, or maybe it's just me.

Brian Orakpo, Clay Mathews, even Ziggy Hood at the end of round1 are pretty solid players we could have had if we moved down a bit. Cleveland didn't get a ton from the Jets for moving back, but had we taken what their best offer was and grab somebody else, we'd look much better now I think.

patteeu
10-12-2011, 11:37 AM
That would be a terrible idea. Doing so would take away some of the effectiveness of draws and play action. Not to mention simply the element of surprise.

Also of note, I saw Richardson screw up on some run blocking, as well. I think Gaither should be the full time RT immediately.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but Richardson's run block rating on PFF is terrible just like his pass block rating. He's the 26th rated run blocker among RTs.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 12:22 PM
15 yards is a long pass. Anything less is a short pass.

http://hostgator-hosting-discounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marriage-herm-edwards.jpg

O.city
10-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm tending to side with Milk on the whole Richardson Gaither thing. Either Gaither isn't fully healthy or....something. He is leaps and bounds better than Richardson at RT and while he has played very well at LT this season, Gaither is prob. a better LT than Albert. Not saying I want them to replace Albert, he is playing as well as he has since his rookie year and is improving but Gaither def. needs to play somewhere.

Demonpenz
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
The run defense looked good because Addii went out. Tyson jackson is good as just holding up and getting the tackle after giving up 3 yards.

whoman69
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM

The same argument was given as a reason why the shotgun would never work. If you're in obvious passing downs, who are you fooling by keeping Richardson in there? I would think that Gaither is still not there physically if he is not in there yet.

O.city
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Gaither is better than Richardson with the run and the pass. He needs to play every down at RT.

patteeu
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
The same argument was given as a reason why the shotgun would never work. If you're in obvious passing downs, who are you fooling by keeping Richardson in there? I would think that Gaither is still not there physically if he is not in there yet.

True, but it doesn't matter because...

Gaither is better than Richardson with the run and the pass. He needs to play every down at RT.

BossChief
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Working around back problems can be a slippery slope.

If they push it too much too soon, they could lose him for the year.

With how carefully they are treating the situation, I think they want him here long term.

O.city
10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Working around back problems can be a slippery slope.

If they push it too much too soon, they could lose him for the year.

With how carefully they are treating the situation, I think they want him here long term.

I hope so. He would help us immensly

whoman69
10-12-2011, 06:07 PM
True, but it doesn't matter because...

True, that doesn't matter because I can only imagine if he's not on the field already as bad as Richardson has looked, he isn't up to it physically.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
OL doing a good job.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wqfxv6.jpg

Chiefnj2
10-13-2011, 05:37 AM
OL doing a good job.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wqfxv6.jpg

I don't see how Cutler isn't the top of that list.

Hammock Parties
10-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Kansas City Chiefs: While no rookie has played on offense, third round pick Justin Houston has seen 174 snaps on defense. He has been thrown at more, allowed more catches, yards, and yards after the catch than any other 3-4 outside linebacker.

BossChief
10-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Growing pains.

Everyone knew he would struggle in coverage and understands you learn best on the field.

But FFS, set the kid loose to rush the passer a few times.

mcaj22
10-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Houston sucking in coverage, what does that tell you about the other OLBers if they cant trump him out of that spot.

Studebaker must be too slow and Sheff is pure pass rush. Houston might be the only guy that can run with HBs, TEs, WRs, whatever.

KCUnited
10-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Houston is learning great coverage skills in Romeo's all day to throw version of the 3-4.