PDA

View Full Version : Football let me tell you what I wish would happen...

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
is everyone watching Jimmy Graham right now?

A so/so, athletic freak of a basketball player at Miami who never had an NBA future...

what does he do?! He starts playing football and ta da! Now he's the best TE in football.

I'm telling you this RIGHT NOW...LeBron James could walk into the NFL (for example, sign with the Chiefs tomorrow and start practicing and start learning over the BYE week) and be the best TE, most uncoverable force the NFL has/will ever see.

Now...he'd have to take out a MEGA insurance plan to protect him from any sort of career (basketball) ending injury, so the idea isn't very plausible...

But I'm telling you right now...there are probably 40 NBA players who could jump to football and just fucking flat out dominate.

Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall...

all of those guys had basketball background and always dreamed of the NBA but were never, ever, ever nearly talented enough to make it...

HotRoute
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
There's a reason some of those guys play hoops man.

pr_capone
10-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Manute Bol for special teams just to block kicks!

KurtCobain
10-11-2011, 11:32 PM
So you Lebron would be the best for your idea? Or who else do you think could smoothly transcend to TE or WR right now?

blaise
10-11-2011, 11:34 PM
He'd be a moron to do that.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
There's a reason some of those guys play hoops man.

yeah, I know

guaranteed contracts and way, way, way more money with way, way, way less physical toll on their bodies

athletically those 6'6" shooting guards who jump through the roof are probably more talented (even at football) than 95% of the current NFL receivers...

who are beasts now?! Dwayne Bowe? I'll give you Bowe, I'll take Josh Smith!

Derrick Rose...6'3" 190

sign
me
up

There are SO MANY NBA players that could own the NFL it isn't even funny...

Gonzalez, Gates and Graham are just the tip of the iceberg...

Imagine a 25 year old Kobe in the NFL...

MJ back in his day?

These guys are FREAKS...

KurtCobain
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
He'd be a moron to do that.

Why? Fuck the NBA.

If he could really become something great in the NFL, why not make the switch? He'll be just as huge marketing wise as he is now, if not bigger.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:36 PM
So you Lebron would be the best for your idea? Or who else do you think could smoothly transcend to TE or WR right now?

Yeah LeBron would be the best...

but I bet you 2 or 3 (at minimum) players per NBA team could make a leap to the NFL with 1 month of football training (or less)...

LeBron could play WR or TE...or hybrid (like a Jimmy Graham)...

that dude is bigger, stronger, faster and can fucking JUMP...

You guys think Megatron is an unstoppable TD force?

LeBron would crush the NFL. He'd be an unfair advantage to any team. He'd be too good, he may be bad for the game.

-King-
10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
90% of NBA players would take one hit from an NFL linebacker and would develop post traumatic stress disorder.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
90% of NBA players would take one hit from an NFL linebacker and would develop post traumatic stress disorder.

according to who!??!

LMAO

you're telling me DeSean Jackson is tougher than an NBA player?

Right. H'ok!

I love that argument when I bring this up...

The truth is...people good enough to play in the NBA play in the NBA because of the $$$ and because it doesn't end their lives 40 years too short.

Brian Cardinal has made almost $50M playing in the NBA.

You know who makes $50M in the NFL? Superstar QB's (mostly)...

When Strahan got divorced and lost half...his net worth was like $16M...

So yeah...LeBron plays in the NBA because he'll make $400+M in contracts...nobody in the NFL touches that...few touch $100M.

rocknrolla
Why? **** the NBA.

If he could really become something great in the NFL, why not make the switch? He'll be just as huge marketing wise as he is now, if not bigger.

He could be an icon like he wants to be. Could you imagine just the jersey $ales?

HotRoute
I would bet on Ron Artest if anyone, he us crazy enough to actually do this

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Derrick Rose looks "small" in the NBA and he'd be a TALL NFL receiver...

and I guarantee you not many people in the NFL move like Rose...I bet you Rose has Hester agility/acceleration etc...

and he's 6'3"...with a huge vertical...

BigMeatballDave
10-11-2011, 11:41 PM
It would be funny if the Browns signed him...

KurtCobain
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah LeBron would be the best...

but I bet you 2 or 3 (at minimum) players per NBA team could make a leap to the NFL with 1 month of football training (or less)...

LeBron could play WR or TE...or hybrid (like a Jimmy Graham)...

that dude is bigger, stronger, faster and can fucking JUMP...

You guys think Megatron is an unstoppable TD force?

LeBron would crush the NFL. He'd be an unfair advantage to any team. He'd be too good, he may be bad for the game.

See I agree with talent-wise. But would LeBron crush the NFL or get crushed by the NFL?

I bet you 2 or 3 players form each nba team could switch to the nfl with one month, but they'll have huge hiccups. They don't know how to play the game. They haven't ever been to a training camp. Plus, I guarantee 90% of them end on IR.

I think you're jumping the gun here. NBA stars would do great in the NFL, but they aren't conditioned to take those hits. Transitioning in one month? I don't think so.

rocknrolla
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I think Karl "the mail man" Malone would have been awesome.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I think the IR thing is a bunch of bullshit...

LeBron James has never been hurt in the NBA...he apparently isn't very injury prone...I don't see why Jimmy Graham can transition to the NFL with 1/10 of the talent LeBron has...but people think LeBron and other NBA guys would land on the IR...

Ok? Makes no sense to me.

Again...people play basketball because of the $$$$

There are probably 2500 paid NFL players every year (if not more)...There are less than 600 paid NBA players...

blaise
10-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Why? **** the NBA.

Because he can play for like 15 more years in the NBA and NBA players make way more money than NFL players. And they don't get concussions, and they don't blow out their knees as much. And their face isn't covered by a helmet on camera. The guy is known worldwide. You're trying to tell me people in China would give a crap about a tight end that makes 5 catches a game max?

And besides, why would he want to block?

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
LeBron could easily play WR...

and it would be something he should do for a year, TOPS...

He should just own the fucking game for a year and be like..."see, easy."

A LOT less pressure for a WR in the NFL...instead of being "The King" of the NBA.

KurtCobain
10-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I think the IR thing is a bunch of bullshit...

LeBron James has never been hurt in the NBA...he apparently isn't very injury prone..

He's also NEVER had a 400lb man lay on him in the nba.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
He's also NEVER had a 300lb man lay on him in the nba.

and?

Again...

I guarandamntee you DeSean Jackson or even Reggie Wayne is "tougher" or "less injury prone" than LeBron freaking James.

Reaper16
10-11-2011, 11:54 PM
I really don't think that LeBron is mentally tough enough to handle the NFL. The raw athleticism is there, sure. But I don't think he's strong enough, mentally, to be able to handle both the punishment and the period where he's learning the game and not having much initial success.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I really don't think that LeBron is mentally tough enough to handle the NFL. The raw athleticism is there, sure. But I don't think he's strong enough, mentally, to be able to handle both the punishment and the period where he's learning the game and not having much initial success.

lol

again

DeSean Jackson

I'm sorry...the NFL isn't a "tough" game to learn. LeBron could learn how to play receiver in one freaking offseason.

He'd have initial success...he's a damn freak.

again

DeSean Jackson

If DeSean can do anything in the NFL...so can LeBron. I promise you most NFL WR's are total dumbasses...LeBron is probably smarter than 90% of the receivers in the NFL.

KurtCobain
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
and?

Again...

I guarandamntee you DeSean Jackson or even Reggie Wayne is "tougher" or "less injury prone" than LeBron freaking James.

Reggie Wayne is tougher than LeBron James?

And my point is, DeSean Jackson gets hit by 350lb guys every freaking week. Has for years. LeBron hasn't. He's also never opened an NFL playbook. He'll have a tough start if he tries to start for an NFL team in one month.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I also bet LeBron would make an extra $20M in endorsement deals if he joined an NFL team for the rest of the season.

You think Tebow news is all over ESPN right now? Think about what it would be if LeBron joined an NFL team...it would be insanity...and the entire nation would be watching.

Hootie
10-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Reggie Wayne is tougher than LeBron James?

And my point is, DeSean Jackson gets hit by 350lb guys every freaking week. Has for years. LeBron hasn't. He's also never opened an NFL playbook. He'll have a tough start if he tries to start for an NFL team in one month.

when does DeSean ever get hit by a NT?

He takes hits from safeties and corners...maybe even a linebacker from time to time...

blaise
10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
lol

again

DeSean Jackson

I'm sorry...the NFL isn't a "tough" game to learn. LeBron could learn how to play receiver in one freaking offseason.

again

DeSean Jackson

If DeSean can do anything in the NFL...so can LeBron. I promise you most NFL WR's are total dumbasses...LeBron is probably smarter than 90% of the receivers in the NFL.

DeSean Jackson is a reason Lebron wouldn't want to play in the NFL. DeSean Jackson has had his brains scrambled on the field. Why the hell would Lebron want to do that?

Hootie
10-12-2011, 12:00 AM
DeSean Jackson is a reason Lebron wouldn't want to play in the NFL. DeSean Jackson has had his brains scrambled on the field. Why the hell would Lebron want to do that?

Sure, agreed.

blaise
10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I also bet LeBron would make an extra $20M in endorsement deals if he joined an NFL team for the rest of the season.

You think Tebow news is all over ESPN right now? Think about what it would be if LeBron joined an NFL team...it would be insanity...and the entire nation would be watching.

The guy does McDonalds commercials. That's the top of the food chain, already. He probably turns down dozens of endorsement deals every week.

blaise
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Hypothetically, though, Lebron could do it for sure. It's just whether he'd be interested if the team lost games, or his QB sucked. And I don't think he'd want to be TE because I doubt he'd want to do much blocking.

Bugeater
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I wonder how often LeBron actually eats at McDonalds. I know if I had his money I would never eat that crap.

-King-
10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
according to who!??!

LMAO

you're telling me DeSean Jackson is tougher than an NBA player?

Right. H'ok!

I love that argument when I bring this up...

The truth is...people good enough to play in the NBA play in the NBA because of the $$$ and because it doesn't end their lives 40 years too short.

Brian Cardinal has made almost $50M playing in the NBA.

You know who makes $50M in the NFL? Superstar QB's (mostly)...

When Strahan got divorced and lost half...his net worth was like $16M...

So yeah...LeBron plays in the NBA because he'll make $400+M in contracts...nobody in the NFL touches that...few touch $100M.

We're talking about a sport where players leave on wheelchairs because of shoulder injuries. http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41575_2345801694_1791_n.jpg

NBA players are soft for the most part.

blaise
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I wonder how often LeBron actually eats at McDonalds. I know if I had his money I would never eat that crap.

Yeah, I wonder. Probably seldom, if ever. Doing those commercials where he pokes fun at himself is one of the smartest things he's done over the last year, though. It makes him more likable.

jd1020
10-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I wonder. Probably seldom, if ever. Doing those commercials where he pokes fun at himself is one of the smartest things he's done over the last year, though. It makes him more likable.

I would imagine he eats there more than you would think. Where else would you go late at night and you don't want to spend any money? You know he's not paying for that shit.

blaise
10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I would imagine he eats there more than you would think. Where else would you go late at night and you don't want to spend any money? You know he's not paying for that shit.

He calls his in house cook and orders a meal.

jd1020
10-12-2011, 12:11 AM
He calls his in house cook and orders a meal.

I would imagine his wife says no every once in awhile.

Reaper16
10-12-2011, 12:16 AM
lol

again

DeSean Jackson

again

DeSean Jackson

You didn't even read what I posted. Mental toughness, dude. You know, the thing that anyone who watched LeBron defer like a scared bitch in the NBA Finals knows he doesn't have much of.

cdcox
10-12-2011, 12:16 AM
We've had this conversation before, and I remain unconvinced. They used to have this show in the 70's called the Superstars where star athletes from all the different sports came and competed in various athletic events such as 100 yard dash, weight lifting, swimming, bowling, obstacle course, etc. The basketball players weren't really competitive. NFL players were by far the best athletes overall. Sure things have changed since the 1970s, but I'm not convinced that the transition would be seamless. Do basketball players have world-class speed? I seriously don't know.

Rausch
10-12-2011, 12:23 AM
is everyone watching Jimmy Graham right now?

A so/so, athletic freak of a basketball player at Miami who never had an NBA future...

what does he do?! He starts playing football and ta da! Now he's the best TE in football.

I'm telling you this RIGHT NOW...LeBron James could walk into the NFL (for example, sign with the Chiefs tomorrow and start practicing and start learning over the BYE week) and be the best TE, most uncoverable force the NFL has/will ever see.

http://noobstore.com/prodimages/tshirt-m-gtfo-Green-400.jpg

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Heat star James continues forbidden dance with NFL career

October 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM ET

We haven't reached the stage where we take a potential LeBron James NFL career even remotely seriously, but it remains our duty to monitor the situation.

The latest comes by way of a Twitter message from the Miami Heat star to ESPN senior writer John Clayton.

"@ClaytonESPN When is the deadline for a team to sign a free agent?" James or a well-compensated handler typed .

Clayton then gave the two-time MVP the skinny on the NFL calendar.

"LeBron, sorry to get back to you so late," Clayton tweeted . "Trade deadline next Tuesday 4 p.m. Free agency goes until last team is eliminated. Game on."

Clayton followed that with a couple more messages that went unanswered by James because, well, communications between LeBron James and John Clayton happen about as often as Halley's Comet sightings.

If you're following LeBron's forbidden football dance as closely as us, you'll remember a week ago when James practiced in full pads with the Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary varsity football team.

At the time, it seemed like a really heightened case of a guy not ready to let go of his high school glory years, but after dominating a bunch of teenagers, James took to his Twitter page to elaborate.

"Just got done practicing with the St.V Varsity football team, full pads and all," he tweeted. "Felt great being back on the field. Should I?"

We think he should. With the first two weeks of the NBA regular season already toast because of labor strife, James really could use a replacement revenue stream. That's not true but just play along. This was copied from my NFL app.

notorious
10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
There is a difference between running/catching/jumping in shorts, tanktop with no contact and wearing gear while getting blasted by crazed animals.

I agree that NBA players are probably the most graceful athletes in the world, but transfering that talent onto a "soft" surface with several uncontrollable factors would be a little harder then most think.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
I bet most of them couldn't get separation from NFL defenders.

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Reason number 1,463 why people think that Hootie's a moron.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
You know who the basketball guys are who make good NFL players are? "Marginal" talent college players. Star athletes usually stick to what they are best at which = what they can make the most money in.

suds79
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I've often wondered why a talented athlete who's say 6'4 would rather be just another guard in college or the NBA vs being a matchup nightmare in College or the NFL as a WR.

To me it just seems that if you're 6'4 in basketball, you're average sized. Probably on the short end a little.

If you're 6'4 in football, You're the ideal size for say WR, TE, QB, etc.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 07:57 AM
You know who the basketball guys are who make good NFL players are? "Marginal" talent college players. Star athletes usually stick to what they are best at which = what they can make the most money in.

well no shit

Hootie
10-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Reason number 1,463 why people think that Hootie's a moron.
Posted via Mobile Device

cool thanks for contributing to the thread

Hootie
10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Derrick Rose couldn't get separation from an NFL defender?

Right.

Renegade
10-12-2011, 07:59 AM
LeBron would be another Randy Moss. He would ONLY play hard when the ball is coming to him. LeBron is not a team player and wouldn't block for anyone else on the team. The NBA is a me sport, not a team sport.

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 08:00 AM

BUT THEY CAN JUMP 9000 FEET INTO THE AIR!

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Right.

Even if Rose caught the ball, when he went to make a move he'd take 3 steps and try to dribble it and Dorsey would pick it up for an 89 yard touchdown. I guarantee that too.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Right.

There is more to gaining separation than just being fast.

suds79
10-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Right.

Exactly. I think people forget that sometimes people forget that most professional athletes (not college athletes, pros) are good at everything they do. That's why they're the best of the best.

I have a buddy who went to school with Alex Gordon in HS. He said that guy was good at absolutely every sport he tried. Shocking!

Derrick Rose with time in learning routes could do just fine in the NFL. In fact I'd argue that had he stuck to football his entire life, I think there's a solid shot he'd be playing in the league right now. Maybe he wouldn't be quite the superstar he is in the NBA, but I think he'd be in the league as a WR.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:04 AM
LeBron would be another Randy Moss. He would ONLY play hard when the ball is coming to him. LeBron is not a team player and wouldn't block for anyone else on the team. The NBA is a me sport, not a team sport.

how is LeBron not a team player? He's been criticized his entire career for being too much of a team player and not enough of a killer (like MJ)...

for crying out loud

all he was in Cleveland was a team player

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:05 AM
There is more to gaining separation than just being fast.

ok buddy

there isn't a single NFL skill player that is playing in the NFL because they have a choice between the NBA and the NFL

the best black kids play in the NBA (that's where the money is)...the runners up get football

that's just fucking fact

suds79
10-12-2011, 08:05 AM

This clearly indicates your feelings towards Lebron vs the topic of NBA players ability to play in the NFL.

Hey I think Lebron is a me guy too. I think he's a glory hog. That still doesn't change my mind that I think he could play in the league.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
ok buddy

there isn't a single NFL skill player that is playing in the NFL because they have a choice between the NBA and the NFL

the best black kids play in the NBA (that's where the money is)...the runners up get football

that's just fucking fact

NBA players could be good NFL players if they spent a year or two learning the NFL game.

They would not step in and dominate immediately.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:09 AM
***THESE ARE FACTS***

The freak athletes in America today are 95% of the time black kids...black kids who grew up with nothing! The NBA is where the REAL $$$ is...the best of the best of the best of these black kids make it to the NBA...Rose, LeBron, etc...

They are going to make 50X more than any WR in the NFL...it's just economics. And they'll live longer, healthier lives. And they'll have longer careers. And guys like Rose and LeBron will make 50X more in endorsements.

But lets say that you could make $500M in contracts in the NFL and only $50M in contracts in the NBA...

YOU BEST BELIEVE THE LEBRON'S, THE ROSE'S, THE KOBE'S, AND THE MJ'S WOULD ALL BE OWNING THE NFL.

I'm sorry, to think that DeSean Jackson could be a better WR than Michael Jordan is just flat out retarded. Or Greg Little. Or Todd Pinkston. Or Samie Parker. Or Steve Breaston. Or TERRELL OWENS (who all he wanted to do was play in the NBA but he wasn't good enough!!)

If you honestly think LeBron James couldn't have been a better WR than Terrell Owens (one of the best 10 receivers of all time), you're just flat out NUTS.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Jordan was a shitty baseball player.

Otter
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
As a 5' 9" white guy who played hockey in college I can honestly say I'm more interested in what the sticky note from 2009 stuck to the side of my tower with a number I totally forgot where it goes to about smells like.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Derrick Rose looks TINY compared to other guys on the court in the NBA...

Dude is 6'3" (probably a legit 6'2" if we're not talking "NBA height")...

he's as tall (if not an inch taller) than Dwayne Bowe. Think about that.

And I guarantee you Rose has Devin Hester like agility and acceleration...

and we all have heard the story of how the Bears didn't trust Hester on kick returns his rookie year (which is why he didn't do them until halfway through the season) because he was too stupid...

so clearly intelligence has little to do with playing receiver in the NFL

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Patrick Ewing wanted to play in the NFL but he wasn't good enough.

And what the hell is your beef with DeSean Jackson?

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:13 AM

baseball is a totally different animal, that requires totally different skillsets

what a shitty example

and that said...he still jumped into AA, hit like .230, and hit like 3 HR's...

and besides, like Gary Sheffield said...in 10 years there won't be many black players in baseball...no one spends any time developing poor black kids into baseball players anymore...all of that money has moved to Latin America

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Patrick Ewing wanted to play in the NFL but he wasn't good enough.

And what the hell is your beef with DeSean Jackson?

another terrible example

you can put a 7' player in the NFL...makes no sense

Hammock Parties
and we all have heard the story of how the Bears didn't trust Hester on kick returns his rookie year (which is why he didn't do them until halfway through the season) because he was too stupid...

Kick returns =/ wide receiver

Hootie
even though Shaq probably would have made a great LT...his agility and foot movement was disgusting.

suds79

Good point. Although I think you'd agree that of all the professional sports, baseball seems to minimize using your athletic ability to dominate more than all the others.

When batting, you just standing there and it's pure eye-hand coordination in doing about the hardest thing in sports. Hitting a baseball against professional competition.

Clearly this guy isn't a player because he's a great athlete right? No he's a professional for a different set of skills.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oHxzdpaWG0I/TamRVAx6qeI/AAAAAAAAFoo/AJlzrJiZuJk/s1600/Prince+Fielder+by+cool+sports+players+%25282%2529.jpg

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 08:15 AM
another terrible example

you can put a 7' player in the NFL...makes no sense

Hey. It's a FACT though. I'm just cherry picking.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:16 AM
the point being

anybody who thinks the majority of NBA PG's and SG's couldn't dominate the NFL WR position (or DB really) with a bit of practice is fooling themselves.

There is a reason ($) it would never happen...even the #12 guy on the bench is making more money than 90% of anyone in the NFL...with a guaranteed contract...

shit even the guys who aren't good enough to make the NBA can make more money (tax free) overseas then playing in the NFL...

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Jordan hit like .230 and stole like 40 bases...while hitting a few HR's in AA baseball...

I'm sorry...yes, that's "shitty" for a baseball player...that's pretty damn good for a 30 year old basketball player who hadn't touched a baseball bat or glove in 15 years

Hammock Parties
I bet Lebron couldn't even get off the line of scrimmage as a tight end.

milkman

Which is why the Mavericks won the NBA title.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I bet Lebron couldn't even get off the line of scrimmage as a tight end.

but Jimmy Graham can...a basketball player with 1/100th of the talent LeBron has...

you're just dumb

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:22 AM
LeBron has never been accused of not being a "team player"...he's not clutch, nor does he have a killer instinct...

he's been accused of not taking over and being "the man"...but he has ALWAYS been a team player. To say otherwise is pure ignorance.

the Talking Can
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
i love this nonsense

NBA players are pussies.

The number one 'skill' required to play in the NFL is the ability to deal with inhuman amounts of pain week after week for years.

Kobe Bryant going to spend his life getting lit up by Ray Lewis?

yeah....

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 09:02 AM
i love this nonsense

NBA players are pussies.

The number one 'skill' required to play in the NFL is the ability to deal with inhuman amounts of pain week after week for years.

yeah....

I'm not taking this into consideration until you post some **FACTS**.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
i love this nonsense

NBA players are pussies.

yeah....

because DeSean Jackson takes 10 hits a week from linebackers!

hahahaha

ok

Hootie
10-12-2011, 10:38 AM
NBA players are pussies!!!

haha

ok...nice generalization. I have no idea where you pulled that fact from...

but keep spinning...I have no idea why the fact NBA players could dominate the NFL is so offensive to everyone when the facts are right there...

what do the drafturbators look for???

What does Hamas Jenkins like so much?! Combine numbers. Vernon Gholson. FREAKS.

Well look no further than the NBA. LeBron would probably have 4.5 speed, he's 6'8" 260 with and out of this world vertical...

but yeah, he couldn't take a hit a week from 1 linebacker and maybe 4 or 5 hits from a DB or safety!

Nope! LeBron would just break every bone in his body! BUT JIMMY GRAHAM CAN DO IT NO PROBLEM! HE WASN'T A FULL RIDE BASKETBALL PLAYER AT MIAMI BEFORE HE EVER PLAYED FOOTBALL OR ANYTHING!

Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates can do it...inferior athletes, inferior basketball players...but nope! LeBron (the best athlete in sports today)!?!? No way!

Braincase
10-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Not to mention the potential to be a professional high jumper on the pro high-jump circuit in Europe.

Dave Lane
10-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Don't drink out of the toilet. You never know whats in there and what crazy idea it may put in your head and make you post online. Just say no!

jd1020
10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Unless one of these all-star NBA players wants to leave the sport entirely and jump to NFL then why are we talking about this?

You said it yourself, that the players who did it weren't talented enough to make it to the NBA but you are talking about players that have made it and are the best in the game.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't drink out of the toilet. You never know whats in there and what crazy idea it may put in your head and make you post online. Just say no!

so LeBron James wouldn't be as good as Jimmy Graham.

Please go ahead and state why...

I do believe LeBron was #2 Mr. Football in Ohio his sophomore year in high school...and something tells me he wasn't really concentrating on being a football player.

PLEASE, SOMEONE PLEASE...TELL ME WHY JIMMY GRAHAM CAN BE THE BEST RECEIVING TE IN THE LEAGUE...BUT LEBRON JAMES COULDN'T DO IT!

I eagerly await...but I'm sure I'll just keep getting the same "witty" insult instead...

bunch of fucking morons on this site...can't think for yourselves...same idiots who laughed at me when I said Carson Palmer wouldn't be a starting QB in the NFL in 2 years (2 years ago)...same morons who BASH the blabbing mouths on ESPN yet hang on their every word (Tony Romo sucks! I don't watch him, but that's what they say on ESPN! Even though those ESPN guys suck too!)

JIMMY GRAHAM WAS A BASKETBALL PLAYER AT MIAMI. HE HAD NO NBA FUTURE. SOME SMART COACH WAS LIKE "HEY, PLAY FOOTBALL!"

What do you know!??!?!

If LeBron had a reason (say, 1 year, $100M from Nike) to play football...he'd flat out dominate it.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Unless one of these all-star NBA players wants to leave the sport entirely and jump to NFL then why are we talking about this?

You said it yourself, that the players who did it weren't talented enough to make it to the NBA but you are talking about players that have made it and are the best in the game.

well no shit...it's a fucking discussion

I'm telling you the best NFL WR's all play in the NBA...

but no one is willing to be smart and think that one through...because they think for some reason a 6'5" athletic freak with 4.5 speed and a 45" vertical couldn't somehow adjust to a career in the NFL!

Nope!

Hakeem Nicks is way more athletic than an NBA SG!

jd1020
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I would imagine when you said Carson Palmer wouldn't be a starting QB in the NFL you were basing that on that you thought he wasn't talented enough and not that he's holding out on the Bengals.

jd1020
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
well no shit...it's a ****ing discussion

I'm telling you the best NFL WR's all play in the NBA...

but no one is willing to be smart and think that one through...because they think for some reason a 6'5" athletic freak with 4.5 speed and a 45" vertical couldn't somehow adjust to a career in the NFL!

Nope!

Hakeem Nicks is way more athletic than an NBA SG!

You can't really be one of the best NFL WR's and not play the sport. Shit doesn't work like that.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
You can't really be one of the best NFL WR's and not play the sport. Shit doesn't work like that.

Right.

I love the NFL.

But I'm pretty sure it takes the least amount of actual skill in any professional sport to play NFL WR...

You're either athletic enough to do it, or you're not.

It's not like DL, where you need a ton of technique...or QB, where you need a ton of technique...or baseball, where you need a ton of technique...

you have to be fast, you have to be able to run routes (I'm sure anyone could learn that), and you have to be an athlete.

PRETTY SURE most NBA guards could figure it out...it's not like we have a bunch of geniuses playing WR in the NFL.

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Hootie: Opinions = FACTS!

the Talking Can
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
NBA players are pussies!!!

haha

ok...nice generalization. I have no idea where you pulled that fact from...

but keep spinning...I have no idea why the fact NBA players could dominate the NFL is so offensive to everyone when the facts are right there...

what do the drafturbators look for???

What does Hamas Jenkins like so much?! Combine numbers. Vernon Gholson. FREAKS.

Well look no further than the NBA. LeBron would probably have 4.5 speed, he's 6'8" 260 with and out of this world vertical...

but yeah, he couldn't take a hit a week from 1 linebacker and maybe 4 or 5 hits from a DB or safety!

Nope! LeBron would just break every bone in his body! BUT JIMMY GRAHAM CAN DO IT NO PROBLEM! HE WASN'T A FULL RIDE BASKETBALL PLAYER AT MIAMI BEFORE HE EVER PLAYED FOOTBALL OR ANYTHING!

Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates can do it...inferior athletes, inferior basketball players...but nope! LeBron (the best athlete in sports today)!?!? No way!

no wonder you quit being a Chiefs fan to be a Cowboys fan...you're a dumbass

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
but no one is willing to be smart and think that one through...because they think for some reason a 6'5" athletic freak with 4.5 speed and a 45" vertical couldn't somehow adjust to a career in the NFL!!
Adjust to a career in the NFL? I'm sure that's quite possible. But you initially were saying that Lebron James could learn the system during the bye week and immediately dominate.

Stop moving the goal posts.

jd1020
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Right.

I love the NFL.

But I'm pretty sure it takes the least amount of actual skill in any professional sport to play NFL WR...

It's not like DL, where you need a ton of technique...or QB, where you need a ton of technique...or baseball, where you need a ton of technique...

you have to be fast, you have to be able to run routes (I'm sure anyone could learn that), and you have to be an athlete.

PRETTY SURE most NBA guards could figure it out...it's not like we have a bunch of geniuses playing WR in the NFL.

There is technique in everything. There is a technique in catching the ball. There is a technique in getting off the line. There is a technique in running your route. There is a technique in blocking.

If being a WR was so damn easy then why isn't every team loaded with Pro-Bowl WR's? I'm pretty sure that even the back up to the back up is an athlete.

Deberg_1990
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Ive always thought all the best Hockey players play in the MLS.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Not an NBA caliber athlete...not even close...and im pretty sure lebron could run go routes from day 1 and be a nuisance for any defense

jd1020
10-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Not an NBA caliber athlete...not even close...and im pretty sure lebron could run go routes from day 1 and be a nuisance for any defense

I'm sure LeBron would get pile drived by the first LB to tackle him as a "Welcome to the NFL."

noa
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
There's this thing called decaf now. You should try it some time. They say it tastes almost as good as the real thing.
But yes, some NBA stars would likely do well as WRs, provided they could catch the lasers thrown by the QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Hootie: Opinions = FACTS!

He has no idea where you get that fact from.

LMAO LMAO

Pasta Little Brioni
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
At the risk of getting flamed. I get what he is saying. If guys like Gates and Graham can dominate the NFL, why can't far superior atheletes like LeBron? Matchup nightmares too big for safeties and corners, too fast for LB's to cover. You think anyone wants to cover a 6'8 guy with elite speed and verticle for his position?? Who is going to outjump LeBron on a fade route in the endzone?

Son of Logical
10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Hootie just because you are an excellent athlete doesn't make you an elite player. There are tons of combine freaks out there, and many of them are giant busts. In college I played flag football with a bunch of SDSU basketball player, and half those guys couldn't catch. The other half were not quick enough. Most of the guys in the NBA skill set is in their jumping ability, and a quick step. A quick step to beat a defender to the hoop is not the same as football speed. You are telling me Reggie Miller could have been an elite NFL player? The NBA is a contact sport, and half the NBA players get hurt for several weeks or months at a time. You are saying these same guys could handle playing a collision sport like football? Desean Jackson by the way is a small fast guy, and doesn't ussually take the big hit. (when he does he gets hurt nearly everytime) A guy with way more surface area to hit will not be able to slip the tackles. He will get crushed, and he will be out of the game.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Right.

I love the NFL.

Rookie wide receivers take a lot of time to adjust.

Switching sports entirely would be hard on Lebron. You have to make a play within a few seconds in the NFL. He has 24 seconds in the NBA.

I think he could do it, but he would dominate immediately. He'd be kind of a gimmick.

notorious
10-12-2011, 12:56 PM
There are so many "Facts" and "Guarantees" in this thread, why is anyone arguing?

:facepalm:

notorious
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Has anyone put a number to an NBA player's speed?

the Talking Can
10-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Right.

I love the NFL.

where do you come up with this nonsense?

no technique at the WR position?

ask Haley about that....ask Fitzgerald...jesus...everything in the nfl is about technique, it's what separates the elite from the good and the good from the bad...

video games aren't life, yo

DJ's left nut
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Hmmmm.....let's see.....

Make $20 million/season w/ a guaranteed contract for 10 years and suffer little physical abuse outside of some potential knee damage OR

Go to the NFL, get crushed for 1/5 the pay of an NBA star (or 1/2 the pay of an NBA role player), play for 7 seasons and limp the rest of my life...if I'm lucky.

Decisions, decisions...

An NBA player w/ legitimate NBA talent would be insane to play football.

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
At the risk of getting flamed. I get what he is saying. If guys like Gates and Graham can dominate the NFL, why can't far superior atheletes like LeBron? Matchup nightmares too big for safeties and corners, too fast for LB's to cover. You think anyone wants to cover a 6'8 guy with elite speed and verticle for his position?? Who is going to outjump LeBron on a fade route in the endzone?
The problem is that Hootie thinks that LeBron could dominate after one bye week.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
The problem is that Hootie thinks that LeBron could dominate after one bye week.
Posted via Mobile Device

LeBron could dominate by a bye week, IMO.

Give him a training camp and 6 weeks to get into game shape (even Graham didn't dominate until his 2nd pro season) and I think he'd be the best pass-catching TE in league history.

He wouldn't block for shit; that's about leverage and technique. It requires more than just the 'locate the ball in the window, catch it with your hands at the apex and on the nose' technique that catching a football requires. It's far more nuanced and would take a lot of time to grasp (witness TG).

But to become a dominate pass-receiver? It would take more than 2 weeks, but not much more.

LeBron would just be an absolute idiot to do it.

cdcox
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
There is technique in everything. There is a technique in catching the ball. There is a technique in getting off the line. There is a technique in running your route. There is a technique in blocking.

Yep. Otherwise IT IS A FACT that every sprinter would have elected to be a DOMINANT NFL WR. IT IS JUST A MATTER OF ATHLETICS.

notorious
10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Yep. Otherwise IT IS A FACT that every sprinter would have elected to be a DOMINANT NFL WR. IT IS JUST A MATTER OF ATHLETICS.

Boooooooooommmmmm!!!!!!!!!

And there it is.

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
This post approved by Al Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Roger Federer has some of the best sideline to sideline athleticism i have ever seen. He would make a great, i mean the best (fact) pass catching rb in this league, or as Cassel would say, "OH SHIT CATCH THIS AHHHH!!!"

Reaper16
10-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Kick returns =/ wide receiver

Plus, Hester was drafted as a Cornerback and didn't transition to WR for a couple of seasons.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 03:20 PM
said nothing about sprinters...was talking about the nba

whoman69
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
LeBron would lead the league in drawing pass interference calls with his flops.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I can't imagine what the argument even is here. Lebron is bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, and a more explosive leaper than any pass-catching TE or WR in the history of the league. You don't have to memorize a playbook to be a pass-catching TE. You can learn a dozen routes and be good to go.

Football combines just about every type of athleticism, but that's spread across more than 20 players. Basketball requires every type of athleticism from just about every player on the court, especially from a point-forward player like James.

As far as mental toughness goes, Lebron plays 45 minutes per game 100 times a year. I'm pretty sure he could stay focused for 25 minutes a game 16-20 times per year.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
but LeBron couldn't get off the line! Those 5'10" 185 lb. corners would own him!!!

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:29 PM
but LeBron couldn't get off the line! Those 5'10" 185 lb. corners would own him!!!

If he played TE he'd get owned by linebackers.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
If he played TE he'd get owned by linebackers.

What Linebackers are those? He would be the biggest pass-catching TE in the game. Lebron makes TG look like a little boy.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
What Linebackers are those? He would be the biggest pass-catching TE in the game. Lebron makes TG look like a little boy.

He has never had to explode out of a three-point stance against 260 pound linebackers who are trying to put him on his ass in his life.

That's why it would take him time to adapt.

No one wants to answer my question about the speed of football?

In basketball you have 24 seconds to think and try to make a play.

In football you have to win your battle within a few seconds to make a difference.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I've spent time around NBA players as well as NFL players, and NBA players make NFL players look tiny. When you're standing next to Will Shields or Willie Roaf, they seem like very large men. When you're standing next to Kenyon Martin or Carlos Boozer, they are on a completely different level, and they are dwarfed by Dwight Howard and Shaq. The type of athletes in the NFL don't compare to the NBA.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
He has never had to explode out of a three-point stance against 260 pound linebackers who are trying to put him on his ass in his life.

In football you have to win your battle within a few seconds to make a difference.

so you're saying the NBA is a slower game than the NFL?

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM

I don't think anyone is going to put him in a 3 point stance. There is a 24 second clock in the NBA, but it's all about the first step. Lebron has a quicker first step than any WR in the NFL, and Rose makes Lebron's first step look slow.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM

I'm saying it's a different game with a different kind of speed.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Of course. NBA players aren't quick enough to play in the NFL...or something.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Lebron has a quicker first step than any WR in the NFL,

Is that why he got owned by Shawn Marion?

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm saying it's a different game with a different kind of speed.

There is no such thing as a different kind of speed than the NBA. The game utilizes every type of speed, acceleration, quickness, endurance, etc.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Is that why he got owned by Shawn Marion?

I didn't realize Shawn Marion was in the NFL.

WhiteWhale
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I think James would have to adjust.

Mostly because of two things.

1. How good can he catch a football? Am I the first person to actually ASK this question?

2. NFL players wear a lot of annoying equipment. James is big so he could carry it well, but the helmet DOES man #1 more difficult.

As a match up... lol, who the hell would actually be able to cover him? I can't think of anyone.

kysirsoze
10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't see what all the argument is here. How can anyone question that with the proper coaching LeBron would be a force in the NFL? I didn't even know that was a debate. The obvious reasons he isn't have been stated. (Injury, much lower pay, etc.)

The only even slightly reasonable argument posed in this thread is that he wouldn't be tough enough to take the hits, but that is pure speculation. He has the body size and conditioning to hold up.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
I think James would have to adjust.

Mostly because of two things.

1. How good can he catch a football? Am I the first person to actually ASK this question?

2. NFL players wear a lot of annoying equipment. James is big so he could carry it well, but the helmet DOES man #1 more difficult.

As a match up... lol, who the hell would actually be able to cover him? I can't think of anyone.

Catching a football is easy. The guy's hands are the size of Catcher's mitts. He grabs lob passes 12 feet off the ground, palms the ball with one hand, and dunks on 6-10 260 dudes all in one motion. I'm pretty sure he can grab a football with WR gloves.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Catching a football is easy. The guy's hands are the size of Catcher's mitts. He grabs lob passes 12 feet off the ground, palms the ball with one hand, and dunks on 6-10 260 dudes all in one motion. I'm pretty sure he can grab a football with WR gloves.

It's easier to catch a basketball, especially when no one is going to kill you for catching it.

Brock
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Pete Carroll wants

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/lebron-james-seahawks.jpg

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
@KingJames I like it! maybe you should head over to #TheU & I'll set up a little workout for you to catch a few balls... just ask for BC

@KingJames I kinda think of you as a touchdown maker but is it true you think of yourself as a pass rusher?
22 hours ago

PeteCarroll Pete Carroll
hey @KingJames are you aware of what the League's rookie minimum is?

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
It's easier to catch a basketball, especially when no one is going to kill you for catching it.

Yeah, people never get rocked in the NBA. Being 12 feet off the ground and landing on a wood floor without pads nor helmets is easy.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, people never get rocked in the NBA. Being 12 feet off the ground and landing on a wood floor without pads nor helmets is easy.

:rolleyes:

It's not remotely the same thing, and picking up a much smaller ball coming from a greater distance (most of the time) and at a higher velocity wearing full gear is not easy.

One of the reasons Baldwin got picked high is because he has elite ball tracking skills. Not everyone has that.

Again, not saying he couldn't do it, but saying he could do it immediately is dumb. It would take him time to adapt. At least a year.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
if LeBron James can make a damn three pointer he can catch a fucking football LMAO

Saul Good
Catching a fucking football is a piece of cake even without gloves. With fingers the size of bananas and sticky rubber gloves covering them, catching the ball wouldn't be an issue. He might not have Brandon Lloyd's hands, but he'd be fine.

kysirsoze
if LeBron James can make a damn three pointer he can catch a ****ing football LMAO

So you're saying he'll drop it when the game is on the line?

Hootie
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
anyone who can hoop and make a 25 footer can catch a fucking football that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Goatse I know you're not much of an athlete but it's quite simple...

if you can shoot a basketball, you can catch a football

if you can hit an 80 MPH fastball..you can shoot a basketball and catch a football

Hootie
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
So you're saying he'll drop it when the game is on the line?

WR is a react position...

you ever hear of a choke artist WR in the NFL?

very rare...that label is reserved for QB's

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Lebron's the greatest athlete of our generation, but he probably can't catch a football with receiver gloves on.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 09:21 PM
anyone who can hoop and make a 25 footer can catch a fucking football that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Goatse I know you're not much of an athlete but it's quite simple...

if you can shoot a basketball, you can catch a football

if you can hit an 80 MPH fastball..you can shoot a basketball and catch a football

Dude, I'm not saying Lebron can't catch a football.

I'm saying he might not be able to do it in the fucking NFL at a world-class level with guys trying to kill him.

There is a difference, you know?

Brock
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM

I agree with most of what you've said here, but I disagree with that. MLB has historically had a bunch of non-athletic guys who can hit.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Brokedick basketball players have taken over the TE position, but Lebron might not be able to catch.

Saul Good
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree with most of what you've said here, but I disagree with that. MLB has historically had a bunch of non-athletic guys who can hit.

Catching a football is about hand-eye coordination more than athleticism. It's similar to hitting a baseball in that regard. Getting to the football takes athleticism.

notorious
10-12-2011, 09:25 PM
This is the ultimate "Argue just to Argue" thread.

Son of Logical
10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I've spent time around NBA players as well as NFL players, and NBA players make NFL players look tiny. When you're standing next to Will Shields or Willie Roaf, they seem like very large men. When you're standing next to Kenyon Martin or Carlos Boozer, they are on a completely different level, and they are dwarfed by Dwight Howard and Shaq. The type of athletes in the NFL don't compare to the NBA.

I am going to have to say false when you say that. I am 6'1 250 and when I stood next to Willie Roaf I felt like I was a child standing next to a giant. The guy was huge. Basketball players are tall yes, but outside of Shaq there is no NBA player with the physical presence of Willie Roaf.

Yes Lebron is an excellent athlete, no argument there, but again just because you are an excellent athlete doesn't mean you will be an excellent football player, and vice versa. For my money Deon Sanders is one of the greatest pure athletes I have ever seen, and definitely faster then any point guard in the NBA, but that doesn't mean he would of been an excellent NBA player. The two sports require different skill sets. Nobody knows if Lebron could handle the hits of the NFL.

jd1020
10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Catching a football is about hand-eye coordination more than athleticism. It's similar to hitting a baseball in that regard. Getting to the football takes athleticism.

wtf?

Brock
10-12-2011, 09:27 PM

I guess to a degree, but it also takes big, strong hands.

mdchiefsfan
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
This was copied from my NFL app.

The only issue I have with that is if you follow the NBA you would know that Lebron flirts with these media stories much like Kobe saying he's going to play overseas. Lebron has done it every year that he's been in the league, when asked if he would participate in the All-Star Slam Dunk Contest. He leaves it up to everyone, saying, "Should I?" Then never does. Lebron in the NFL will never happen.

kcfan82
10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 135 once at the NBA combine, he wouldn't survive a college football weekend, much less the NFL.

kysirsoze
10-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 135 once at the NBA combine, he wouldn't survive a college football weekend, much less the NFL.

Yeah, Durant is one I could not see making the transition. His best chance would be a Moss type I guess, but I have no idea if he has that type of top speed and hands.

doomy3
10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
wtf?

Do you really not understand what he said, or what is the confusion?

kcfan82
10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, Durant is one I could not see making the transition. His best chance would be a Moss type I guess, but I have no idea if he has that type of top speed and hands.

It's just a different game.... It's one thing that Lebron James can make a poetic move to the hoop and lay in a bucket.

It's another when he's expected to make the same kind of move and catch, only to have the hammer dropped on him by a 230lb free safety.

I'm not saying he couldn't do it, but he'd need to prepare for it. There is no chance any NBA player would walk onto the Chiefs and have any type of impact. Vice Versa......

cdcox
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
said nothing about sprinters...was talking about the nba

The whole premise of your tread is that pure athleticism = dominance at WR. There are plenty of track-stars who turned into complete bust in college or the NFL to show that there is a heck of a lot more to playing WR in the NFL than athleticism.

You cherry pick 3 or 4 basketball washouts over a period of more than decade that star in the NFL and ignore the thousands of basketball washouts who never step foot on an NFL field. Certain basketball players can make a transition to the NFL. It is total speculation that Lebron James would be one of them and kind of funny that you think he could dominate to the level that it would damage the integrity of the NFL with a month of prep.

Joe Seahawk
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/319219_10150332303683652_749188651_8229312_884092203_n.jpg

SPATCH
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm late to the party, but I would just like to point out that everything Meat Dragon is pushing.... is fucking true. We're talking about a league (NBA) filled with the most freakishly gifted athletes on the planet. If you don't think a significant amount of those guys (many of whom with football backgrounds) could come in and start swag surfing all over these 5-9 CBs... well, then you're wrong.

I would conservatively estimate that there is probably one guy on every NBA team that would find success in the NFL

SPATCH
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
... and may I just say that the body leveraging that I learned playing basketball in the post was extremely beneficial to my football career. physical basketball players transition into football relatively easily. much easier than track stars.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:15 PM

well they couldn't play in the NBA or NFL...but I bet they have all of those motor skills to make a 3 pointer on a regular basis and catch a ball coming at their faces...

I saw Larry Johnson try and swing a baseball bat once...it was embarrassing.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Durant doesn't have a good football body, either...

However he was what...19? Out of all the FREAKS that come to the NBA...he was the guy who still needed to grow into his frame...unlike LeBron who was a man at age 14.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
... and may I just say that the body leveraging that I learned playing basketball in the post was extremely beneficial to my football career. physical basketball players transition into football relatively easily. much easier than track stars.

well LeBron has never learned to play out of the post so...lol

-King-
10-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Durant...the same guy that couldn't bench 185 when he was drafted can make the transition?

ROFL Wow.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Durant...the same guy that couldn't bench 185 when he was drafted can make the transition?

ROFL Wow.

when did I say that? Please quote me.

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Durant doesn't have a good football body, either...

However he was what...19? Out of all the FREAKS that come to the NBA...he was the guy who still needed to grow into his frame...unlike LeBron who was a man at age 14.

great job being able to read

-King-
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
So which players in the NBA would be able to start in the NFL? LeBron and who else?

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I'll name one guy from every team...starting now:

mcaj22
10-12-2011, 11:46 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ET31kQFMuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Josh Smith
JaJaun Johnson
Gerald Henderson/Tyrus Thomas
Kyrie Irving
Rudy Fernandez
J.R. Smith
Monta Ellis
Kyle Lowry
Danny Granger
Blake Griffin/Jamario Moon
Kobe Bryant/Shannon Brown/Lamar Odom
Josh Selby/O.J. Mayo/Rudy Gay/Darrell Arthur/Xavier Henry
LeBron James/Dwyane Wade
Shaun Livingston (pre injruy)
Wesley Johnson
Jordan Farmar
Trevor Ariza
Carmello Anthony/Renaldo Balkman
James Harden/Russell Westbrook/Nate Robinson
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard (don't see why not?)
Andre Iguoduola/Evan Turner
Josh Childress/Vince Carter (back in the day, if he wasn't such a vag)

I'm bored of this but yes...these guys all have superior athletic ability in important WR attributes to current NFL WR's...

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:50 PM
you know what's funny about that Ronald Curry/Julius Peppers highlight?

Julius Peppers wasn't even good enough to start!!! And Ronald Curry was Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball in high school...gave up football for basketball...and then wound up being able to play WR in football no problems (even though he was a QB in college) until injuries slowed him down.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3734/ronald-curry

Hootie
10-12-2011, 11:53 PM
and those were just a quick glance...there is a guy named Gerald Green who probably would have made a tremendous football player...had great height, amazing athletic ability, and could jump through the roof...

he's probably making millions overseas to play hoop though...so what's the point?

MY POINT IS

the NBA could come in and dominate the NFL at WR, DB and perhaps even a few freaks could add some muscle and play RB...

or DE, or LB...etc...

I'm sure LeBron could be a freak defensively, too.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm sure LeBron could be a freak defensively, too.

No, he couldn't. He literally has no idea how to diagnose a play, make a form tackle, and forget about technique and footwork.

If a lineman got their hands on him, he'd be owned as a pass rusher.

He couldn't play corner or safety.

At linebacker, he probably doesn't have the instincts to be very good.

He might be able to develop some of these traits with experience, but in his first season, he would be a terrible defensive player.

What he might be good at immediately out of the box is playing as a goal-line/redzone threat. Lebron could run down the field and go get jump balls.

Other than that, he'd be a laughingstock.

mcaj22
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
no way Lebron would take the pounding and hits that LBer does when taking on blockers, especially in the run game. He'd have no idea about gap control either.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
he can't make a form tackle?!?!?

hahaha

yes, defense would probably take an offseason...but I'm sure if Jason Pierre Paul can learn it in a year and a half...LeBron probably could to...

who's more of an athlete...Pierre Paul, or LeBron?

Pretty much the same size...and Paul already has 7 sacks this year.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:02 AM
no way Lebron would take the pounding and hits that LBer does when taking on blockers, especially in the run game. He'd have no idea about gap control either.

Jesus Christ.

You guys are acting like LeBron is a damn pussy/idiot. How do you know what kind of abuse he can take and what he can't take? He's 6'8" 265...and he's an absolute FREAK...

Julius Peppers was a basketball player, ya know...in fact, he was more well known in college for basketball before football.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
LeBron could probably be as good as Pierre Paul if he really wanted to be...if not better.

Again...will never happen. But the athletic ability is EASILY there for him to just own the NFL in whatever capacity he wanted to...

They used to line up Peppers out wide from time to time in Carolina...WR that is...

Hammock Parties
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
he can't make a form tackle?!?!?

hahaha

Tons and tons of NFL players suck at tackling.

I'm sure Lebron could come right in and be awesome at it.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Tons and tons of NFL players suck at tackling.

I'm sure Lebron could come right in and be awesome at it.

I'm sure he could be...

I don't see why he couldn't be...

it's a form tackle

I know you didn't play sports in high school...but LeBron did...and LeBron played football...pretty sure somewhere along the way he was taught how to make a form tackle.

Again...LeBron would be a receiving TE...much like Jimmy Graham (it's the evolution of the NFL)...but I'm just saying if he wanted to be a Pierre Paul, pretty sure he could do it no problems (and probably be better)

rico
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Ugh, I wish wrestling (real, not WWE) would catch on in more states than Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois (yes, I realize there are a few decent wrestlers in the states I failed to mention, but there is no disputing that it isn't widespread or by any means a pop culture sport). The best "other sport" to football transition would hands down be elite wrestler to football player. Best transition for "other sport" to UFC fighter is hands down, elite wrestler to fighter. I think some of these scrambly basketball bastards could have been awesome wrestlers, had the sport caught on by now. They would dominate the somewhat pudgy guys who currently reign supreme in the upper weights in college wrestling.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Wrong.

The best of the best wrestlers have always been football players who weren't good enough to play football.

Steve Austin, The Rock, Lesnar...

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:12 AM
in fact, high school wrestlers are usually the big, strong guys who aren't good enough to play other sports so the wrestle around on mats and do gay shit to one another and get ring worm

Hammock Parties
10-13-2011, 12:12 AM
LeBron could step onto the tennis court and IMMEDIATELY DOMINATE.

GOAT

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
LeBron could step onto the tennis court and IMMEDIATELY DOMINATE.

GOAT

Just like the baseball suggestion...incredibly dumb...or hockey...stop being your usual idiot self

rico
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Wrong.

The best of the best wrestlers have always been football players who weren't good enough to play football.

Steve Austin, The Rock, Lesnar...

Which is why I wish the sport would catch on.... I am aware of the limited talent pool we have seen in the sport of wrestling. If the sport would catch on, it would generate way tougher athletes than pumpkin pushing.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
If Lebron can dominate, Dirk would be the greatest football player of all time.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
If Lebron can dominate, Dirk would be the greatest football player of all time.

doubtful...Dirk isn't the natural athlete LeBron is...he's one hell of a basketball player though

Hammock Parties
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
sarcasm, how does it work

but Jason Kidd would be the GOAT QB after one offseason.

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Allen Iverson was Michael Vick before Michael Vick...

SDChiefs
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Sure. Let's five lebron a league min contract. Im sure he'd be down.

rico
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
in fact, high school wrestlers are usually the big, strong guys who aren't good enough to play other sports so the wrestle around on mats and do gay shit to one another and get ring worm

Haha, although I was a wrestler myself, youth through college, I do somewhat agree with you (minus the gay stereotype...ringworm is a bitch and wrestlers get it, I'll give you that). I believe your generalization of current wrestlers is true in a way.... you do run into some one-dimensional, big, strong oafs in wrestling... Some of the biggest, strongest, non-versatile athletes I've ever met are wrestlers, but there are many who are just straight up driven and/or talented.

The gay stereotype makes me laugh. Honestly, I've heard it so much growing up that I don't even become upset when I hear it anymore. I read a study a couple years ago that indicated that wrestling has the lowest percentage of gay athletes. This study concluded that the reason for this is fear of public arousal....presumably because they would be wrestling in a spandex suit (singlet), in front of many people against someone they are physically attracted to. I know this random study I came across is not gospel, but I can assure you that wrestling, despite the stereotypes is the least gay sport.

I forget what the sport with the most gay athletes was.... I'll have to dig it up on the predicament boards.

-King-
10-13-2011, 12:34 AM
This is just fucking ridiculous. So NFL has 1700 players, yet NBA players would be able to come in and dominate all of those players? What exactly sets Derrick Rose apart from say... Verran Tucker? Verran Tucker isn't an athlete? Why would Derrick Rose or any other NBA player come and start over him?

I'm not even going to get into them starting over good NFL players. Lets just start with the shitty ones. Verran Tucker is an exceptional athlete, otherwise, he wouldn't have made it into the NFL. But now you're saying that he can easily be replaced by players who either never played the game before, or players who last played in high school? Yeah. Right.

I guess Dwayne Bowe could go to the NBA and be an all star point guard huh?

-King-
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
But then again, I suppose Derrick Rose had football recruiters on his dick during high school huh?

Hootie
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Just playing with you man...I say that shit during PFC fights and the diehards get pissed!

rico
10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Just playing with you man...I say that shit during PFC fights and the diehards get pissed!

To the die-hard wrasslers or something else?

Hootie
10-13-2011, 01:20 AM
UFC sorry auto-correct

crazycoffey
10-13-2011, 01:39 AM
I forget what the sport with the most gay athletes was.... I'll have to dig it up on the predicament boards.

dykes on spikes? (softball....)

Smed1065
10-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Josh Smith
JaJaun Johnson
Gerald Henderson/Tyrus Thomas
Kyrie Irving
Rudy Fernandez
J.R. Smith
Monta Ellis
Kyle Lowry
Danny Granger
Blake Griffin/Jamario Moon
Kobe Bryant/Shannon Brown/Lamar Odom
Josh Selby/O.J. Mayo/Rudy Gay/Darrell Arthur/Xavier Henry
LeBron James/Dwyane Wade
Shaun Livingston (pre injruy)
Wesley Johnson
Jordan Farmar
Trevor Ariza
Carmello Anthony/Renaldo Balkman
James Harden/Russell Westbrook/Nate Robinson
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard (don't see why not?)
Andre Iguoduola/Evan Turner
Josh Childress/Vince Carter (back in the day, if he wasn't such a vag)

I'm bored of this but yes...these guys all have superior athletic ability in important WR attributes to current NFL WR's...

They "might" have but you do not give credit for the knowledge of playing football. Go Dallas. :D

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Steve Nash would be a hellaofa slot reciever