PDA

View Full Version : Life Ragweed is kicking my ass!

gblowfish
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Ever since Sunday night my allergies have been in high gear. Scratchy sore throat and eyes, coughing, even my teeth hurt from my sinus pressure. It's bad especially at night while trying to sleep. I get this just about every year from RAGWEED in KC. There's nothing that can really be done about it until the first freeze. C'mon 28 degrees.....we need to kill this crap!

How about you? Have you had any symptoms this week?

Here's the pollen chart for KC in October. Either that, or lots of people are smoking dope every day.

Probably both. Doesn't Sedated live in KC????

Stewie
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I'm affected by it. Not to the extent that you are, but unless I take OTC Claritin I'm miserable.

Fritz88
10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
You can jizz, mix it with some water, egg yolk and human menstrual blood. Drink it and rub it in affected areas. Repeat for 7 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I started having allergies for the first time in my life a couple of years ago. It starts in late August and ends in late October it seems. I don't get sinus pressure, I just get straight water dripping from nose, itchy as hell throat and eyes and a bunch of sneezing. Also, I wake up with disgusting goo in my eyes every morning.

Zyrtec works like a charm for me, though. Like any other anti-histamine, it takes a while to build up in your system and start working, but after about 4 days of taking it every morning, the symptoms disappear almost entirely.

Bugeater
10-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Weird, I started getting the dry throat and congestion on Monday, and the sinus pressure was so bad yesterday I though my head was going to explode. I thought I was coming down with a bad cold but perhaps it is the ragweed.

Bugeater
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I started having allergies for the first time in my life a couple of years ago. It starts in late August and ends in late October it seems. I don't get sinus pressure, I just get straight water dripping from nose, itchy as hell throat and eyes and a bunch of sneezing. Also, I wake up with disgusting goo in my eyes every morning.

Zyrtec works like a charm for me, though. Like any other anti-histamine, it takes a while to build up in your system and start working, but after about 4 days of taking it every morning, the symptoms disappear almost entirely.
That's even wierder, I had the exact same allergies for my entire life until a couple years ago, then they mysteriously disappeared. Sounds like you found them, enjoy!

(btw Claritin D worked wonders for me)

Pants
10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
That's even wierder, I had the exact same allergies for my entire life until a couple years ago, then they mysteriously disappeared. Sounds like you found them, enjoy!

(btw Claritin D worked wonders for me)

Thanks a lot, man. I'm really happy I was able to find them!

gblowfish
10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I'm affected by it. Not to the extent that you are, but unless I take OTC Claritin I'm miserable.

I take Claritin daily. I can't take any of the Claritin-D or Allegra-D product because it spikes my blood pressure.

Usually I feel like this for about three or four days, sometimes longer.

Pants
10-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I take Claritin daily. I can't take any of the Claritin-D or Allegra-D product because it spikes my blood pressure.

Usually I feel like this for about three or four days, sometimes longer.

Claritin is not as good as Allegra and Allegra is not as good as Zyrtec and Zyrtec is not as good as Benadryl. The more effective an anti-histamine is, the higher the likelihood that it's going to make you drowsy. You just have to experiment to find out how your body reacts to each one.

The D is for decongestant which is Pseudoephedrine.

gblowfish
10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Claritin is not as good as Allegra and Allegra is not as good as Zyrtec and Zyrtec is not as good as Benadryl. The more effective an anti-histamine is, the higher the likelihood that it's going to make you drowsy. You just have to experiment to find out how your body reacts to each one.

The D is for decongestant which is Pseudoephedrine.

Can't do Benadryl at all. It knocks me out cold, makes me stupid. I almost wrecked my car once because of it. If you have high blood pressure like I do, allergies and colds are a real bitch, because most of the OTC stuff that treats the symptoms also raises blood pressure or make you woozy. I got sent to the ER once from Claritin-D. After using it for three days it drove my BP to 190 over 100. Almost had a freaking stroke.

Pants
10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Can't do Benadryl at all. It knocks me out cold, makes me stupid. I almost wrecked my car once because of it. If you have high blood pressure like I do, allergies and colds are a real bitch, because most of the OTC stuff that treats the symptoms also raises blood pressure or make you woozy. I got sent to the ER once from Claritin-D. After using it for three days it drove my BP to 190 over 100. Almost had a freaking stroke.

Yeah, stay away from Pseudoephedrine. There are other decongestants out there that are safe for you, but they don't work nearly as well.

Give Zyrtec a try and see how you do. You got nothing to lose and it might make you feel a little better.

4th and Long
10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm in the opposite boat as you, George. I don't suffer from allergies and I hate cold weather.

Come on sunny and 78 degrees! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Sneezing and watery eyes for me. For some reason it affects my left eye much worse. Zyrtec seems to do the trick for me.

tooge
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
That used to be our codeword for a girlfriend on the rag. "dude, how'd it go last night?"
"not good man, It's ragweed season"

Dave Lane
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Its been bad as hell for me this year took a bunch of stuff but Zyrtec seems to work best.

Buehler445
10-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I've had allergies all my life. March until the killing freeze beats my ass hard, I have indoor allergies too, particularly heavy dust. Some mold that grows in wheat and grass gives me asthma, harvest and mowing grass is pretty hard on me. Trees blooming makes my head explode, and when the kochia and palmeramaranth pollenate is terrible. Corn and milo pollenating also sucks ass.

I had a bunch of xrays of my head one year when I was a kid because the doctor was freaking out of about a sinus infection that the congestion didn't go away. Started in March are April and they kept xraying my head until a killing freeze and it went away.

I take Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night. Supplimented with Singulair (which also has antihistamine properties) and Advair. When I thiink I can handle it, I shuffle it out with Claratin and try to keep away from Allegra. If you can change it up for a month or so it will help. Your body becomes acclimated to the medicine and it loses it's effectiveness.

Go to the doctor and get a prescription for Xyzal. It is good. BCBS does not cover it, but if you only need a month of it do it.