PDA

View Full Version : Life Why do restaurants not carry Dr. Pepper?

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Seriously, why?

I go into restaurants all the time and ask, "May I have a Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb?" and I get told, "We only have Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite", or "Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist". Sometimes there's a Mountain Dew in there, but it's rare to get a Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb.

Why is this? What's so hard about having that fourth type of soda? Is it cheap to offer three types and really, really expensive to have a fourth? Does the existing equipment only have infrastructure for three types? Do health departments put you in a high-risk category if you offer four types? Why do fast food places offer four types or even more when sit-down restaurants can't seem to get past the magic number of three?

And why do they always have a soda, diet soda, and white soda? Do the soda companies offer packages that specifically exclude Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb? Why? Do they also offer packages of, say, Coke, Diet Coke, and Mr. Pibb, but no Sprite? Or maybe Diet Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Sierra Mist, but no Pepsi?

It's not a big deal to have a fourth soda, restaurants, and it damages my dining experience to not get Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb. Get on it.

Bugeater
10-14-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't think most sit-down type restaurants have traditional soda fountains like fast-food places do. Usually they get their pop from the bar and those gun things they use only have a certain amount of buttons on them.

pr_capone
10-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Dr. Pepper sucks.

Bugeater
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Dr. Pepper sucks.
Oh yeah, this too.

Gonzo
10-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Obama
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Because they are not run by Man.

HoneyBadger
10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Who goes to a restaurant and doesn't order a beer?

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 02:04 AM
I prefer my own semen.

Gross, dude...

Renegade
10-14-2011, 05:53 AM
In this part of the world, Dr. Pepper is it's own distributor, much like 7UP and snapple are. My local Coke rep has told me it is up to each bottling company if they want to pay for the rights to produce/bottle/distribute Dr. Pepper.

Buck
10-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Most restaurants make a deal with either Coke or Pepsi. Not many find that they also need to strike a deal with 7 Up/Dr. Pepper as well.

Spott
10-14-2011, 06:25 AM
I hardly ever drink pop any more, but it seems like most places around here have Dr Pepper instead of Mr Pibb.

Fritz88
10-14-2011, 06:28 AM
You work for Dr P, Mr RM.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2011, 06:45 AM
heh, my favorite is when im at a place and ask for a Dr. Pepper and they come back with "No, but we have root beer" Im like....WTF??? They taste nothing alike.

On a side note, i cant get Mr. Pibb down here in Texas (Dr Pepper Owns this market) but IMO it tastes better than Dr. Pepper. Am i the only one who thinks that?

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 06:51 AM
heh, my favorite is when im at a place and ask for a Dr. Pepper and they come back with "No, but we have root beer" Im like....WTF??? They taste nothing alike.

On a side note, i cant get Mr. Pibb down here in Texas (Dr Pepper Owns this market) but IMO it tastes better than Dr. Pepper. Am i the only one who thinks that?

You can't get Mr. Pibb anywhere, as far as I know since it was changed to Pibb Xtra several years ago.

tomahawk kid
10-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Dr. Pepper sucks.

Holy shit.

Are you communist?

Predarat
10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Luckily here it comes with Coke, so its almost everywhere. It used to be Mr Pibb when I first moved here, but Dr Pepper is taking over.

jd1020
10-14-2011, 07:02 AM

People that don't drink?

I either go with tea or water. Cut soda completely out and I don't drink.

mlyonsd
10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Diet Dr. Pepper is pretty good. I mean for 0 calorie pop.

AndChiefs
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Almost everywhere has Dr. Pepper down here. Probably because it's the #1 soda (or at least it seems to be).

Deberg_1990
10-14-2011, 07:14 AM
You can't get Mr. Pibb anywhere, as far as I know since it was changed to Pibb Xtra several years ago.

resteraunts not so much, but its all over KC in cans at the supermarkets.

luv
10-14-2011, 07:17 AM
I hardly ever drink pop any more, but it seems like most places around here have Dr Pepper instead of Mr Pibb.

That's a good thing. Love Dr. Pepper. Mr. Pibb, not so much.

Nzoner
10-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Agreed,we even have a couple of restaurants here that serve it.

Demonpenz
10-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Easy to find in fountains but sucky in restaurants, you could just bring your own in? If it ruins your dining experience that much, it isn't wrong to do that at all. People do it with wine all the time.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Yes, they are both equally vile.

RealSNR
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Also, I've noticed that here in the upper midwest nearly every single restaurant has Mountain Dew or Mello Yellow. Except Red Lobster that is. Assholes.

Anyway, any time I travel to some place even as close as Indiana, nobody has it. Florida- nope. East coast- nope. West coast- nope. I don't get it.

mlyonsd
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, they are both equally vile.The only real vile pop I can think of is Diet Coke. That crap is nasty.

I can drink most anything else and enjoy it.

Mile High Mania
10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
It's all about bottling and distribution agreements....

Dave Lane
10-14-2011, 10:27 AM
It would be so awesome as to make their food less tasty by comparison.

aturnis
10-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are the BOMB! I agree, I should be able to get a 23 flavor orgy in my mouth whenever or wherever I order a Prime Rib.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
The only real vile pop I can think of is Diet Coke. That crap is nasty.

I can drink most anything else and enjoy it.

Coke Zero is okay. I prefer Pepsi Max, though.

Duck Dog
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Quiznos in KCMO, I think it's on Wornell or State Line Rd, has a machine that serves over 100 different pops and drinks. The machine is small too. Very cool looking.

Duck Dog
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Love Pepsi Max. Addicted to it, really.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Love Pepsi Max. Addicted to it, really.

Same here. It's like crack in a bottle. I'm drinking some right now.

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

I like to drink but I never order beer with food.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM

This. I have never had a taste for alcohol and food - whether it's cheap beer and pizza or expensive wine and prime rib, to me it just tastes like ass.

My parents never drank around me when I was a kid, and there was never alcohol served with meals. I've tried to make myself like it, but just can't.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:02 AM
It would be so awesome as to make their food less tasty by comparison.

This may be the best reason I've heard so far.

But the bottling stuff makes sense too. However, I thought one of them (Pibb or Pepper) was owned by coke and the other by pepsi. Is pepper still independent?

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Easy to find in fountains but sucky in restaurants, you could just bring your own in? If it ruins your dining experience that much, it isn't wrong to do that at all. People do it with wine all the time.

I wonder if they'd charge a corkage fee if I brought in my own Dr. Pepper.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
That's a good thing. Love Dr. Pepper. Mr. Pibb, not so much.

Someday I need to do a blind taste test, because these two are completely interchangeable to me. I don't even think about it if one is available versus the other.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think most sit-down type restaurants have traditional soda fountains like fast-food places do. Usually they get their pop from the bar and those gun things they use only have a certain amount of buttons on them.

This is another reasonable theory, though it seems like I go to restaurants without bars and have the same issue.

bevischief
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I can't Dr Pepper or any other soft drink any more. The sugar content gives me heart burn.

Amnorix
10-14-2011, 11:26 AM
The easy answer, as others have mentioned, is that Dr. Pepper sucks.

Not too many places on the East Coast have it.

And I have seriously never even heard of Mr. Pibb.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
The easy answer, as others have mentioned, is that Dr. Pepper sucks.

Not too many places on the East Coast have it.

And I have seriously never even heard of Mr. Pibb.

Because of this post I will never move to the East Coast.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I dunno why they don't carry it, but I do know that when I was waiting tables, we could always identify shitty tippers by the fact that the whole table ordered Dr. Pepper. A buddy of mine said the same thing.

I have no idea why that's the case, but invariably a table full of Dr. Peppers was gonna leave you 10% or less.

Stewie
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Quiznos in KCMO, I think it's on Wornell or State Line Rd, has a machine that serves over 100 different pops and drinks. The machine is small too. Very cool looking.

That's a Coke Freestyle machine. I tried it once and wasn't impressed. Selecting Sprite and getting a light brown drink wasn't appealing. They need to purge the previous syrup before dispensing another drink.

Bump
10-14-2011, 11:37 AM
just get an iced tea, it's way better for you than soda pop.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I dunno why they don't carry it, but I do know that when I was waiting tables, we could always identify shitty tippers by the fact that the whole table ordered Dr. Pepper. A buddy of mine said the same thing.

I have no idea why that's the case, but invariably a table full of Dr. Peppers was gonna leave you 10% or less.

That is indeed a mystery, because drinking Dr. Pepper typically indicates great intelligence and creativity.

Is it perhaps the fact that you then said something like, "We don't have Dr. Pepper, but we have ginger ale."

I get that all the time. Ginger ale? Really? Who drinks ginger ale? It enrages me when someone offers that up as a substitute item to cover up the fact that they don't have Pepper or Pibb.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
That is indeed a mystery, because drinking Dr. Pepper typically indicates great intelligence and creativity.

Is it perhaps the fact that you then said something like, "We don't have Dr. Pepper, but we have ginger ale."

I get that all the time. Ginger ale? Really? Who drinks ginger ale? It enrages me when someone offers that up as a substitute item to cover up the fact that they don't have Pepper or Pibb.

I think it's a Colorado thing.

As far as I can tell, most places around here have one or the other.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 11:41 AM
And while I'm on the topic, how is Coke's formula secret? We have people who can identify Osama bin Laden's relatives from the needle used on a vaccination. We have people who can identify the lab that a strain of anthrax came from. We can study meteorites for DNA residue. And we don't have anyone who can reverse engineer the ingredients in one of the 8 billion cans of soda that are sold every year?

Reaper16
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM

This. I have never had a taste for alcohol and food - whether it's cheap beer and pizza or expensive wine and prime rib, to me it just tastes like ass.

My parents never drank around me when I was a kid, and there was never alcohol served with meals. I've tried to make myself like it, but just can't.
Weirdos.

Reaper16
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Clearly, Rain Man, it is because those restaurants don't want you to have a real good time.

gblowfish
10-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Dr. Pepper drinkers are bad tippers? WTF??? We need a Federally Funded study on that one. Weird.

And I love Ginger Ale. I wish it was a choice at more restaurants. At the turn of the Century (1900) Ginger Ale was more popular than cola.

I especially like Vernor's Ginger Ale from Detroit. It's really good.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Dr. Pepper drinkers are bad tippers? WTF??? We need a Federally Funded study on that one. Weird.

And I love Ginger Ale. I wish it was a choice at more restaurants. At the turn of the Century (1900) Ginger Ale was more popular than cola.

We could never figure it out.

The best we could come up with was that Dr. Pepper is probably the most 'sugary' of the fountain sodas. Generally folks that eat a lot of lower quality foods will either salt or sugar the hell out of them to make them taste better. So we figured Dr. Pepper was an 'acquired' taste that came from a lower socioeconomic status. (How's that for the height of douchebaggery?)

It was the best we could do. It really doesn't make any sense to speak of, but it was a running joke when I was waiting tables and another friend of mine that worked in an Italian joint volunteered it out of the blue on day. I gotta think there's something to it.

Slainte
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Nothing like feeling nostalgia for 111 years ago...

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 12:29 PM

The best we could come up with was that Dr. Pepper is probably the most 'sugary' of the fountain sodas. Generally folks that eat a lot of lower quality foods will either salt or sugar the hell out of them to make them taste better. So we figured Dr. Pepper was an 'acquired' taste that came from a lower socioeconomic status. (How's that for the height of douchebaggery?)

It was the best we could do. It really doesn't make any sense to speak of, but it was a running joke when I was waiting tables and another friend of mine that worked in an Italian joint volunteered it out of the blue on day. I gotta think there's something to it.

Another theory is that Dr. Pepper may be more popular in the South or in rural areas where incomes are lower and/or restaurant meals are cheaper. If you're accustomed to tipping on a $15 tab maybe you don't do the same percentage on a $50 tab.

Or maybe the demographics are older in areas with high Dr. Pepper consumption. I often notice that older people tend to tip less and theorize that it's because they don't take into account inflation from when they were "trained" to tip.

And your observation about an all Dr. Pepper table is interesting, as opposed to a partial Dr. Pepper table. It makes me wonder if those are parties from small geographic pockets where Dr. Pepper rules. How common is an all Dr. Pepper table? I'd think it would be exceedingly rare.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
resteraunts not so much, but its all over KC in cans at the supermarkets.

Actually Mr. PIBB? All they have in Ohio is PibbXtra.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Nothing like feeling nostalgia for 111 years ago...

gblowfish likes to drink ginger ale when he's watching people propel hoops with sticks on ESPN.

Stewie

How about Cream Soda? I used to drink that as a kid, then when I got older I didn't like it. I'm not sure it's even available now.

Rain Man
And actually Mr. PIBB? All they have in Ohio is PibbXtra.

Is there a difference between these? I thought it was just a name change for marketing reasons.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Another theory is that Dr. Pepper may be more popular in the South or in rural areas where incomes are lower and/or restaurant meals are cheaper. If you're accustomed to tipping on a $15 tab maybe you don't do the same percentage on a $50 tab.

Or maybe the demographics are older in areas with high Dr. Pepper consumption. I often notice that older people tend to tip less and theorize that it's because they don't take into account inflation from when they were "trained" to tip.

And your observation about an all Dr. Pepper table is interesting, as opposed to a partial Dr. Pepper table. It makes me wonder if those are parties from small geographic pockets where Dr. Pepper rules. How common is an all Dr. Pepper table? I'd think it would be exceedingly rare.

It was mostly a 'majority' Dr. Pepper thing. If you were looking at 1 or 2 (especially if they were kids), you were probably okay. But once the adults start drinking it, it went downhill with each additional Pepper.

If you had 3 Dr. Peppers and a 2 waters, you were in trouble. If you had 3 Dr. Peppers, 2 waters, a bowl of lemon wedges and extra sugar packets (yeah, this happens), you were getting stiffed and probably reported to corporate to make sure they got their dinner free.

I hate people.

I like your 'south' theory, but does it hold? The south is Coke country; they wolf that stuff down. I wouldn't have thought of the south as being big into the Dr. Pepper. Maybe the 'upper' south, but I wouldn't have pegged the deep south.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Is there a difference between these? I thought it was just a name change for marketing reasons.
PibbXtra supposedly has more cinnamon or something.

Someone show me they have some actual Mr. Pibb. According to wiki, it was discontinued and switched the name to PibbXtra in 2002.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
It was mostly a 'majority' Dr. Pepper thing. If you were looking at 1 or 2 (especially if they were kids), you were probably okay. But once the adults start drinking it, it went downhill with each additional Pepper.

If you had 3 Dr. Peppers and a 2 waters, you were in trouble. If you had 3 Dr. Peppers, 2 waters, a bowl of lemon wedges and extra sugar packets (yeah, this happens), you were getting stiffed and probably reported to corporate to make sure they got their dinner free.

I hate people.

I like your 'south' theory, but does it hold? The south is Coke country; they wolf that stuff down. I wouldn't have thought of the south as being big into the Dr. Pepper. Maybe the 'upper' south, but I wouldn't have pegged the deep south.

I may be thinking "western south". Texas is the stronghold of Dr. Pepper, and I kind of assumed that would extend to adjacent states. You're probably right that the eastern south may skew more toward coke, but I haven't been there enough to notice.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
PibbXtra supposedly has more cinnamon or something.

Someone show me they have some actual Mr. Pibb. According to wiki, it was discontinued and switched the name to PibbXtra in 2002.

I try to learn something every day, and this is my learned item today.

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I may be thinking "western south". Texas is the stronghold of Dr. Pepper, and I kind of assumed that would extend to adjacent states. You're probably right that the eastern south may skew more toward coke, but I haven't been there enough to notice.

Ah - so that settles it:

Texans are dicks.

Dammit, Rainman - where were you a decade ago when this debate was raging on?

mlyonsd
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Coke Zero is okay. I prefer Pepsi Max, though.If I did a blind taste test I'm not sure I could tell the difference between Coke and Coke Zero. They're pretty darn close.

mlyonsd
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I can remember when Mr. Pibb first came out.

Man I'm old.

whoman69
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Dr. Pepper sucks.

bite your tongue

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Pepsi generally sucks but I do like cherry Pepsi

whoman69
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM

I would get Mountain Dew.

I think the answer lies in the fact that restaurants usually have a distributor for their soft drinks from a certain company and usually that's either Coke or Pepsi. Most places I have been to will give you the closest to dr. pepper if you ask for dr. pepper.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I can remember when Mr. Pibb first came out.

Man I'm old.

I thought it was a big mistake to name it "Mr." when it was taking on a competitor with an advanced degree, "Dr." They should've gone with either "Professor Pibb" to compete intellectually or perhaps gone with a royal moniker to imply social superiority, such as "Viscount Pibb" or "Duchess Pibb". They voluntarily yielded the high ground to Dr. Pepper.

Johnny Vegas
10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I honestly think its by demand. The bar I work in doesn't have Dr. P or root beer but the restaurant does. I remember the restaurant not having it for a year and came back with it after so many requests. I could ask.

4th and Long
10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I thought it was a big mistake to name it "Mr." when it was taking on a competitor with an advanced degree, "Dr." They should've gone with either "Professor Pibb" to compete intellectually or perhaps gone with a royal moniker to imply social superiority, such as "Viscount Pibb" or "Duchess Pibb". They voluntarily yielded the high ground to Dr. Pepper.
I had a similar thought but had the word, "Magesty" in my head.

Magestic Pibb.

Wow ...

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
I honestly think its by demand. The bar I work in doesn't have Dr. P or root beer but the restaurant does. I remember the restaurant not having it for a year and came back with it after so many requests. I could ask.

Ooh, ask them, please. And ask about the whole contract thing and whether it's different to add Pepper/Pibb. Thanks in advance.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I had a similar thought but had the word, "Magesty" in my head.

Magestic Pibb.

Wow ...

Ooh, that's good. The majesty part appeals to the aspiring upper classes while the friendly misspelling appeals to the mass market.

If they had gone with that, the whole world would be drinking it right now and this thread would never have existed.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I would get Mountain Dew.

I think the answer lies in the fact that restaurants usually have a distributor for their soft drinks from a certain company and usually that's either Coke or Pepsi. Most places I have been to will give you the closest to dr. pepper if you ask for dr. pepper.

I love Mountain Dew, it will always be my favorite. I made the switch to diet years ago, but every now and then I will still have one - it is the only regular type of soda that I still drink.

Can't stomach Diet Mountain Dew - it's just wrong.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I love Mountain Dew, it will always be my favorite. I made the switch to diet years ago, but every now and then I will still have one - it is the only regular type of soda that I still drink.

Can't stomach Diet Mountain Dew - it's just wrong.

What is it with diet Mt Dew? I mostly drink diet sodas, but if I want a Mt Dew it has to be regular. Possibly the worst diet soda ever.

Amnorix
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Because of this post I will never move to the East Coast.

That's ok. Denver needs it's few sane residents to remain there...

Valiant
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
In this part of the world, Dr. Pepper is it's own distributor, much like 7UP and snapple are. My local Coke rep has told me it is up to each bottling company if they want to pay for the rights to produce/bottle/distribute Dr. Pepper.

This. How have so many of you not known this if you drink it?

sedated
10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
On a related note, I refuse to frequent a bar that only carries Pepsi products. Rum and Pepsi tastes like sh!t, what are they thinking?

seclark
10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
This. How have so many of you not known this if you drink it?

i know my milk comes from a cows tit, but i have no idea which cow.
sec

Dartgod
10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Dr. Thunder FTMFW!

Hootie
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Interesting.

We just assume black people don't tip, and when they do, bonus!

It is what it is...

and when I waited tables (and for a long time) I never gave less service to black people than I did to white people...not because I didn't want to, but because I'm super paranoid and don't need anyone calling for a manager and labeling me a racist...that happened to enough people, it wasn't worth my time.

I was the guy who didn't give a shit about a terrible tip...I was pretty good at my job so I made plenty of money...so if someone wanted to come in, and not tip...whatever. I don't need to bitch about it or tell every one of my co-workers how rough I have it by some table not tipping me. Did, not, care.

Hootie
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
and then the "ghetto" tables that did give a good tip...if I had been an asshole I would have had to feel like an asshole...

so I just decided from the get go (when I moved to Chicago and had to wait on black people for the first time in my life) that I was going to treat every table the same way regardless of what their social status appeared to be...I've waited on Dick Butkus, Ludacris, Dee Brown, millionaires, people who have tried to pay me in food stamps, inbreds...I've seen it all.

In all honesty, I probably give BETTER service to ghetto tables because they are the ones who will call for that manager at the drop of a dime...and at the end of the day...that simply isn't worth it.

Hootie
10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
as for the topic, I worked in Central Illinois at a place that just had Pepsi products (no Dr. Pepper)...I hate Pepsi...and apparently most people are Coke people.

But yeah, EVERYONE wanted Dr. Pepper...good tipping regulars...people from Chicago. Either Coke or Dr. Pepper. Our alternative? Pepsi with grenadine was a top seller to people who wanted Dr. Pepper.

But yeah, I love Dr. Pepper, but I'm currently holding a grudge...I bought a fountain Pepper at a gas station and pulled one of those 'game tabs' and it said "every tab is a winner!" So I was bored and went online to enter my code...apparently it was a trick just to get their website some hits, because there was no place to enter a code, they wanted you to submit a youtube video on why Dr. Pepper was great! And if yours was good you could win some college tuition money!

What?!?!?

I was pissed. I searched the site for 10 minutes looking to enter my code somewhere...needless to say, I haven't drank a Dr. Pepper since...and they have deleted 10+ facebook comments from the Dr. Pepper wall from me laced with pure hate.

Johnny Vegas
10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
bartending I tell customers all the time to fuck off and call them girls if they order a bud light lime. I get the best tips doing that for some reason, but I guess I do it in a non asshole way that they know I'm just fuckin with them.

Hootie
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
bartending I tell customers all the time to **** off and call them girls if they order a bud light lime. I get the best tips doing that for some reason, but I guess I do it in a non asshole way that they know I'm just ****in with them.

do you work at Dick's Last Resort?

Johnny Vegas
10-14-2011, 02:30 PM
no at a resort in Cooke City outside of Yellowstone Park. I assume thats a bar that treat people like shit?

Hootie
10-14-2011, 02:32 PM
no at a resort in Cooke City outside of Yellowstone Park. I assume thats a bar that treat people like shit?

Yeah, sure is...

I'm not a big fan of dudes drinking BL Lime, either. Have some fucking balls. I'll only drink that shit if someone else buys it and it's free. If I'm having a nice daiquiri at a restaurant I'm going to order like an adult.

Dartgod
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Interesting.

We just assume black people don't tip, and when they do, bonus!

It is what it is...

and when I waited tables (and for a long time) I never gave less service to black people than I did to white people...not because I didn't want to, but because I'm super paranoid and don't need anyone calling for a manager and labeling me a racist...that happened to enough people, it wasn't worth my time.

I was the guy who didn't give a shit about a terrible tip...I was pretty good at my job so I made plenty of money...so if someone wanted to come in, and not tip...whatever. I don't need to bitch about it or tell every one of my co-workers how rough I have it by some table not tipping me. Did, not, care.
You a racist? No way!

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Agreed, Diet Dr. Pepper is great. It goes well with double cheeseburgers, or tacos. It just tastes better than the regular stuff, as does Diet Pepsi.

Frazod
10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
What is it with diet Mt Dew? I mostly drink diet sodas, but if I want a Mt Dew it has to be regular. Possibly the worst diet soda ever.

Hmm, until I read this I thought I was the only who felt that way.

It does suck, though. Always seemed too carbonated and not sweet enough.

Dartgod
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm a long time Dew drinker and switched to diet several years ago. Now I can't drink regular Dew. It's too damn sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 04:33 PM

That and too much aftertaste.

crispystl
10-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Ooh, that's good. The majesty part appeals to the aspiring upper classes while the friendly misspelling appeals to the mass market.

If they had gone with that, the whole world would be drinking it right now and this thread would never have existed.

It's probably because Pepsi makes Dr. Pepper and most restaurants use coke (goes better with mixed drinks) and Nobody drinks Mr Pibb so the ones that use Coke have neither.

crispystl
10-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I like Mt Dew and Mellow Yellow isn't freaking close.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I like Mt Dew and Mellow Yellow isn't freaking close.

Sure it is.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2011, 06:46 PM
It's probably because Pepsi makes Dr. Pepper and most restaurants use coke (goes better with mixed drinks) and Nobody drinks Mr Pibb so the ones that use Coke have neither.

Pepsi does not make Dr. Pepper.

crispystl
10-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Pepsi does not make Dr. Pepper.

That makes even more sense then. If Dr. Pepper is independent it would probably be more costly than any of the Coke products.

Spott
10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, sure is...

I'm not a big fan of dudes drinking BL Lime, either. Have some fucking balls. I'll only drink that shit if someone else buys it and it's free. If I'm having a nice daiquiri at a restaurant I'm going to order like an adult.

So you think that Bud Light with lime is a chick dring, but a daiquiri isn't?

crispystl
10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Bud Light with lime...seriously??

DenverChief
10-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I want my damn Tabb....then you can have your Dr pepper.

griZZly64
10-14-2011, 08:47 PM
They got Dr Pepper @ Dennys

griZZly64
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM

:hmmm:

Sfeihc
10-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Agreed, Diet Dr. Pepper is great. It goes well with double cheeseburgers, or tacos. It just tastes better than the regular stuff, as does Diet Pepsi.

Diet Dr. Pepper is at most 7-11's. I really like that stuff. Only pop I drink anymore. I've never seen it in a restaurant unless you think 7-11 is a restaurant.:)

jd1020
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Diet Dr. Pepper is at most 7-11's. I really like that stuff. Only pop I drink anymore. I've never seen it in a restaurant unless you think 7-11 is a restaurant.:)

You can get a 3 course meal there. Doritos for a starter, 17 hour long cooked hotdog, and some powdered donuts for desert. Meals fit for any diet.

Rain Man
10-14-2011, 10:41 PM
You can get a 3 course meal there. Doritos for a starter, 17 hour long cooked hotdog, and some powdered donuts for desert. Meals fit for any diet.

The hot dog is cooked longer than Peking Duck, so it must be gourmet.

Psyko Tek
10-14-2011, 11:22 PM
How about Cream Soda? I used to drink that as a kid, then when I got older I didn't like it. I'm not sure it's even available now.

plenty of creram sodas out there
if your local circle K ( 7-11) has vanilla put it in a coke

theer are many smaller distributers
fanta has one and Jones soda
think A&w has one
stuff like that

Hootie
10-15-2011, 01:14 AM

I call all drinks daiquiris as an inside joke...a beer, a shot...a margarita...its a 'meat dragon and his IRL friends inside joke kind of thing'...

Hootie
10-15-2011, 01:19 AM
My friend and I started doing it at ISU during our drink every night phase...hung over as shit...one of us at around 8 pm would look over at the other and say..."daiquiris?" And the other would exclaim, "daiquiris!" And we'd get up with great triumph and head to the Pub 2 and drink all the daiquiris our manly bodies could handle! Lots of great daiquiri memories I have!

Chiefs=Champions
10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Vanilla coke is the shit.

Rukdafaidas
10-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Dr. Pepper is independent of Pepsi and Coke. They both can sell Dr. Pepper, but try to get their customer's to buy something else, because they don't make as much money on it.
I work for a major Food Service Distributor and we sell bag in box Coke products, as well as Dr. Pepper products. In my territory, I sell as much Dr. Pepper as I do Coke. In fact, I probably sell more Diet Dr. Pepper than I do Diet Coke.
It seems like the local Coke distributor plays some games with the restaurants. They'll be out of bag in box Dr. Pepper for weeks at a time in an effort to get the customer to switch to Mr. Pibb. Dr. Pepper is just too popular here to not have at a restaurant.
Rain Man, you need to move to Joplin. I can't think of any restaurants that don't have Dr. Pepper here. I'm sure there are, I just can't think of any.

Stewie
10-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Tab mixed with Fresca is awesome. :D

jspchief
10-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Prune juice is one of the main ingredients in Pepper and Pibb. Restaurants don't want to encourage people to shit in their establishment any more than they already do.

WhiteWhale
10-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I avoid drinking soda altogether.

That shit is BAD for you.

BigMeatballDave
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Prune juice is one of the main ingredients in Pepper and Pibb. Restaurants don't want to encourage people to shit in their establishment any more than they already do.

Old, old rumors...

http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/drpepper.asp

BigMeatballDave
10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Dr. Pepper is independent of Pepsi and Coke. They both can sell Dr. Pepper, but try to get their customer's to buy something else, because they don't make as much money on it.
I work for a major Food Service Distributor and we sell bag in box Coke products, as well as Dr. Pepper products. In my territory, I sell as much Dr. Pepper as I do Coke. In fact, I probably sell more Diet Dr. Pepper than I do Diet Coke.
It seems like the local Coke distributor plays some games with the restaurants. They'll be out of bag in box Dr. Pepper for weeks at a time in an effort to get the customer to switch to Mr. Pibb. Dr. Pepper is just too popular here to not have at a restaurant.
Rain Man, you need to move to Joplin. I can't think of any restaurants that don't have Dr. Pepper here. I'm sure there are, I just can't think of any.

Actually, Coke makes Dr. Pepper in Europe.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper

Toad
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Pretty accurate. I work for Pepsi. Either Pepsi or Coke (depending on the franchise agreements in a specific area) distribute Dr Pepper. Some cases, an independent distributor sells Dr Pepper.

Coke owns Pibb, so does try to get customers to take it on over Dr Pepper. They make more $ off it because they do not have to pay a distributor fee. Hurts them in the long run b/c Pibb is very low market share natinally.

Pepsi does not own a Dr Pepper equivilent I am sorry to say. We do own Mt Dew, Dew does not seem to index high in restaurant pour, but does dominate in gas stations single serve though.

Mr Rainman, ask your restaurant managers to see if their specific distributors have access to Dr Pepper. They have access to it...

Bill Brasky
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM

You must be nuts. Diet Dew is one of the greatest diet sodas of all time. That and Diet Code Red... Also off the charts amazing.

JoeyChuckles
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Here in Arizona, they don't have Pibb at all. I've seen it at Chipotle, never in stores though. I miss it.

bigbucks24
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Pretty accurate. I work for Pepsi. Either Pepsi or Coke (depending on the franchise agreements in a specific area) distribute Dr Pepper. Some cases, an independent distributor sells Dr Pepper.

Coke owns Pibb, so does try to get customers to take it on over Dr Pepper. They make more $ off it because they do not have to pay a distributor fee. Hurts them in the long run b/c Pibb is very low market share natinally.

Pepsi does not own a Dr Pepper equivilent I am sorry to say. We do own Mt Dew, Dew does not seem to index high in restaurant pour, but does dominate in gas stations single serve though.

Mr Rainman, ask your restaurant managers to see if their specific distributors have access to Dr Pepper. They have access to it...

Exactly. I work in the restaurant industry. It is not only what you have availability to, but what you can sell. Having 100 different flavors is nice for the consumer, but it all has a shelf life. And if you can't move enough volume, you end up throwing it away. In my 32 years in the industry, I've never seen a restaurant that sold as much Dr. Pepper as Coke. Ever. In my current concept, Dr. Pepper runs 4th or in soft drink syrup volumes.

BigMeatballDave
10-16-2011, 11:58 PM
You must be nuts. Diet Dew is one of the greatest diet sodas of all time. That and Diet Code Red... Also off the charts amazing.

Nuts? LMAO Ok.

TinyEvel
10-17-2011, 01:10 AM

This.

And Dr. Pepper, Snapple and 7-Up are all the same company. As well as Diet Rite, RC, A&W, Canada Dry and Crush. So I guess either PepsiCo or Coke get in there and block them out.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Rain Man, I think the more disturbing issue here is that you're equating Dr Pepper (no period, BTW - just sayin') with Mr. Pibb.

Dr Pepper is a far superior product, and any self-respecting Dr Pepper fan would rather not have a beverage than drink Mr. Pibb.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2011, 05:49 AM

Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Gonzo
10-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

If you wanna Pepsi pal, you're gonna have to pay for it...
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Went to Hoolihan's in Lees Summit....they carry DP because I asked for Mr. Pibb, thinking they would just have that instead.

Which is odd. Besides Taco Bell, I can't think of many places that sell DP