PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV When the movie does not function correctly

10-15-2011, 01:29 AM
what do you do?

Do you sit there looking back at the glass window above you for the next 5 minutes?

Or do you get proactive and go notify someone?

The wife and I ran into this problem again tonight. We get there early so we can get the good seats in the center of the theater. The pre-previews had started. you know, all the commercial BS. Then the screen just froze. Normally, I would get up and go straight out to notify someone but I decided to wait and see if anyone else would do this first. NOPE. They all sat there looking back at the glass window thinking that would be enough.

After about 5 minutes of observing this I decided I had enough. So, I have to make people move so I can get up and out of my aisle, go notify the management, come back and make people move for me again so I can sit down. Low and behold, about a minute later, the movie starts back up.

Now, why is it that the people sitting right next to the aisle just sit there and do nothing? Why do people just stare at the glass window?

I just don't get it.

What surprised me was the three people that thanked me for going to do something about it. That was appreciated.

Buck
10-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Sorry you missed 3.5 minutes of Footloose.

10-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Sorry you missed 3.5 minutes of Footloose.

Cowboys and Aliens. and I didn't miss anything. This was all before the movie started.

Oh, and if I do see Footloose it will be for the chick only. LMAO

bevischief
10-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Just ask Buck they were stoned.

JD10367
10-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Moviegoers still don't realize that there's no one in the projection booth. And there hasn't been for a very long time. And even if there was, it's probably one person, and they probably have anywhere between 12 and 18 screens, and those screens all start at different times and may not even be located in the same projection room. (For example, my theater has 16 screens plus an Imax. The Imax is a five minute walk. Theaters 16 has its own booth, as does Theater 15. 11 and 12 share one. 8, 9, and 10 share one. 1 through 7 share a long hall. 13 and 14 share another booth. All of these are at far reaches, meaning if you're in booth 16 and someone tells you there's a problem in booth 13, it's a three-minute walk.)

Even with Digital, there are many problems. I've rarely seen a picture just freeze as described, but sometimes the projector simply doesn't get the "start" command (from either the computer sending the show schedule, or from the ScreenVision controller runs the preshow and then tells the projector to start). Sometimes the lamp doesn't strike (and the projector neither knows nor cares, and basically runs the show with no light... consider it like playing a DVD with your TV unconnected). Sometimes there are color issues (a loose wire).

And, yes, at my theater, sometimes we get people who come out 60 seconds after the issue... and we get people who sit there for literally a half-hour. Which irritates us because, not only have you been sitting for a half-hour, it also puts the entire show schedule a half-hour behind. The preshow needs a half-hour of time to run; if there was only 40 minutes in between shows, and it would usually start 10 minutes after the show ends, now the show is still running so it doesn't start... which means the show ends, and 10 minutes later--when it's supposed to start again--nothing happens. (Snowball effect all day long.)

Bugeater
10-15-2011, 08:09 AM
The "preshows" are a half a fucking hour long now?

And you wonder why your industry is dying...

Gonzo
10-15-2011, 09:37 AM
You missed the Volleyball scene in Top Gun, didn't you?
Posted via Mobile Device

jspchief
10-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Maybe the other people were just exhibiting patience.

Saulbadguy
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM

this.

Brock
10-15-2011, 09:58 AM
I get patience, but the fact is when you assume something's being done about a problem, it usually isn't.

Rausch
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I get patience, but the fact is when you assume something's being done about a problem, it usually isn't.

Exactly...

cardken
10-15-2011, 11:06 AM
The theater chains in Las Vegas, had attendant remotes. You could remotely from your seat report projection/sound/noisy patrons and piracy, anonymously from your seat. Which was a great deal, had to use it frequently out there. Not sure why all theaters aren't set up with txting tattling like the stadiums.
When I've ever had to get up to report loud patrons, it has never taken less than 10 mins. to find someone to address the problem. I've always made it a point to tell the person in charge , "I am not employed here, why am I doing your job?"

Deberg_1990
10-15-2011, 12:14 PM
And, yes, at my theater, sometimes we get people who come out 60 seconds after the issue... and we get people who sit there for literally a half-hour. Which irritates us because, not only have you been sitting for a half-hour, it also puts the entire show schedule a half-hour behind. The preshow needs a half-hour of time to run; if there was only 40 minutes in between shows, and it would usually start 10 minutes after the show ends, now the show is still running so it doesn't start... which means the show ends, and 10 minutes later--when it's supposed to start again--nothing happens. (Snowball effect all day long.)

I cant believe someone would just sit there for more than 5 minutes? :facepalm:

mikeyis4dcats.
10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
The theater chains in Las Vegas, had attendant remotes. You could remotely from your seat report projection/sound/noisy patrons and piracy, anonymously from your seat. Which was a great deal, had to use it frequently out there. Not sure why all theaters aren't set up with txting tattling like the stadiums.
When I've ever had to get up to report loud patrons, it has never taken less than 10 mins. to find someone to address the problem. I've always made it a point to tell the person in charge , "I am not employed here, why am I doing your job?"

because I would have to tattle on you texting to tattle like a rude ass.

CoMoChief
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't think anyone cares anymore now everyone having smartphones. lol

They just till talk and browse on those things til the problem is fixed.....happened to me and this girl one time when we were out, damn projector went out, and it was like a 30min deal til it was up and running again.

cardken
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
because I would have to tattle on you texting to tattle like a rude ass.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

10-15-2011, 06:38 PM

:spock:Yeah, turning around and staring at the unmanned window is exhibiting patience. Sitting there bitching because the movie isn't playing and doing nothing about it is exhibiting patience.

I was just waiting to see if anyone was going to be proactive for a change or if they were just going to sit and do nothing. At least I now know to not bother waiting even though I have to make people move for me to go do something about the issue.

Based on JDs comments it looks as though the theater appreciates it when you let them know quickly.

10-15-2011, 06:39 PM

absolutely this