PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Horrific 15 vehicle IndyCar crash in Las Vegas - Dan Wheldon killed

tk13
10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I know this is mentioned in the NASCAR thread but this deserves its own thread. Horrific crash, one of ESPN's racing guys on twitter said it might be the worst multi car wreck he's ever seen. Apparently Dan Wheldon has been airlifted to a hospital and people are very concerned about his condition. Everyone else seems to have survived. The race is currently on ABC but has been stopped for the moment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcAZ7I_lk7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
10-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow. I'm speechless.

jspchief
10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Maybe Ashley Judd will be single again.

Dave Lane
10-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Cool

-King-
10-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Can't believe how far some of those cars flew.

-King-
Cool
LMAO

doomy3
Yikes.

Dave Lane
10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Isn't that really why people watch these races? Glad nobody was hurt but that was pretty cool. :)

Bugeater
10-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Isn't that really why people watch these races? Glad nobody was hurt but that was pretty cool. :)
Uhhh...there's talk of a possible fatality. But yeah, it's pretty much the only reason to watch.

lcarus
10-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Maybe Ashley Judd will be single again.

I would do dirty, dirty, dirty things to that woman.

Rain Man
10-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I bet someone was texting while they were driving.

4th and Long
10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I went to a demolition derby and an IndyCar race broke out?

Mama Hip Rockets
10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
That's what happens when you get a bunch of redneck morons together to drive really really fast right next to each other.

kstater
10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
That's what happens when you get a bunch of redneck morons together to drive really really fast right next to each other.

Indycar talent is outsourced.

memyselfI
10-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Hope no one i seriously hurt. High speed crashes might be the only compelling reason to watch this ridiculous 'sport.'

nathanKent
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Glad nobody was hurt

Yeah.... ya know.... except for the guy that was.

Buck
10-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Dan Wheldon might die.

memyselfI
10-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Dan Wheldon might die.

Not good. Prayers to all involved. I do think they know full well that's a real possibility every time they start their engines. It's not like that in most other sports.

jspchief
10-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Dan Wheldon might die.

Really? He was my favorite driver.

jspchief
10-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Indy is eurotrash you dumbf*ck, not rednecks.

stevieray
10-16-2011, 02:58 PM

hardly....these are some of the most skilled drivers in the world.

open wheel racing is extremely dangerous.

Rain Man
10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
If you look at 1:32 in the video, on the far right of the screen, you can see one of the drivers run a red light to start the whole thing.

Buck
10-16-2011, 03:32 PM
From everything reported on twitter, it does not sound good at all.

kstater
10-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Looks like he's passed. RIP. Looks like someone's put up a fake tweet, and it's being RT like crazy.

Buck
10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like he's passed. RIP. Looks like someone's put up a fake tweet, and it's being RT like crazy.

I was gonna say.

A lot of people crying at the track though. He's probably dead or disabled.

tk13
10-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah... there's some false tweets flying around right now.

However, they did call everyone in for a meeting and people around the track seem very upset... not good.

Marcellus
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I can't believe people find this funny at all. I am not an Indy fan at all but seeing that wreck made my stomach turn.

Titty Meat
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
f1fanaticlive F1 Fanatic Live
And of course Dan Wheldon starts 34th and last - a win here will net him a $5m prize which will be split with a fan at the track. #indycar
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow thats sad

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2011, 03:42 PM
That's fuckin' terrifying.

Demonpenz
that sucks. IndyCar should be more popular because it is more exciting and more dangerous but it is dangerous, of course the only time someone cares is when this shit happens

Bugeater
Are they seriously considering finishing this race?

kstater
10-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Are they seriously considering finishing this race?

With Brian Barnhart in charge? Of course. If there's a wrong choice to be made, it'll be made.

kstater
10-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Officially passed.

RIP

tk13
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Wheldon has passed away. Race cancelled. Drivers will do a 5 lap salute around the track shortly.

Buck
Dead. RIP

Delano
Rough stuff. Did this guy have any children?
Posted via Mobile Device

TrebMaxx
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
RIP Dan.

KevB
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but don't know the specifics. Friend of mine said she met he and his wife and their children a while back.

TrebMaxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, two.

-King-
Wheldon married his long-time personal assistant, Susie Behm, in 2008. They have 2 sons: Sebastian <sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wheldon#cite_note-11)</sup>, who was born on 1 February 2009, and Oliver,<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wheldon#cite_note-12)</sup> born 19 March 2011. The family lives in St. Petersburg, Florida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg,_Florida).

Fuck.

:(

Demonpenz
10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Reminds me alot of Greg Moore, because once the wreck happened, you could hear the voice of the announcers like "Oh that guy is done"

Demonpenz
10-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Danica's like I am glad I am getting the fuck out of this series

mlyonsd
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Ugly. RIP.

Rams Fan
10-16-2011, 04:08 PM
RIP Dan Wheldon.

kstater
10-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Sad part is Dan was the test driver for the new car that's coming out next year. Just announced last week a full time ride for Andretti Autosport.

Stewie
10-16-2011, 04:10 PM
RIP Dan. This sucks.

GloryDayz
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow... Sad sad day in racing...

Wyatt Earp
10-16-2011, 04:14 PM
RIP Dan. :(

Delano
10-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I am surprised they replayed the wreck on television.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jerm
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I feel sick...so damn sad, great racer and by all accounts a really good guy.

Those things are fucking deathtraps, I hope Patrick isn't the only one that decides to bolt.

It's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

RIP. :(

Bugeater
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Finally just saw all the ABC replays...that was horrific. RIP Dan.

ShowtimeSBMVP
10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
RIP

Gadzooks
10-16-2011, 04:27 PM

This. :(

Frazod
10-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Not a racing fan, but I've seen a couple of those cars on display - the first time I saw one in person I was struck by how tiny they are - much smaller than they look on TV. With a crash like that it's amazing more people didn't get killed.

RIP

|Zach|
10-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Cool

You are a lot more interesting when you talk about butt hurt you are over religion. Reminding us how badly it gets under your skin.

Dave Lane
10-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Dead. RIP

Holy shit didn't look that bad

Deberg_1990
10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Not a racing fan, but I've seen a couple of those cars on display - the first time I saw one in person I was struck by how tiny they are - much smaller than they look on TV. With a crash like that it's amazing more people didn't get killed.

RIP

Yea, im amazed that people have the guts to get into something like that and travel at those speeds. Just incredible. RIP

Buck
10-16-2011, 04:38 PM

What? It looked horrific.

KcMizzou
10-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Yea, im amazed that people have the guts to get into something like that and travel at those speeds. Just incredible. RIPIt's a credit to the skill of the drivers, I think...

That speed in such an intentionally light vehicle... takes balls.

-King-
10-16-2011, 04:39 PM

:spock: Cars flew.

LiveSteam
10-16-2011, 04:40 PM

God knows what you are trying to do here. MR.David Lane

|Zach|
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Yea. Those cars crashing into each other while they were on fire didn't look that bad.

My only hope is that you are being an asshole and trolling us. Nobody should be this stupid.

suzzer99
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Video apparently overloading youtube. So frustrating to try to watch.

kchero
10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
RIP Dan Wheldon :(

jspchief
10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Iirc, the year Wheldon won the indy 500, they put Danica on the cover of that weeks SI instead of him.

Baby Lee
10-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Watching nowadays in HD with car cams is very exciting. Particularly if you dream about driving that fast.

Baby Lee
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I feel sick...so damn sad, great racer and by all accounts a really good guy.

Those things are fucking deathtraps, I hope Patrick isn't the only one that decides to bolt.

'Those things' are a major reason that there are less and less deathtraps every year, fuckstick.

Oversized tracks leading to superfast lap times, which the organizers then packed with too many racers, may have created a deadly situation, that was realized in full by one of the league's luminaries, but those are different issues.

It sucks like hell Wheldon passed, but the marriage of racing and engineering in F1 is a great thing for human innovation.

Buck
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
This isn't F1 dude.

LiveSteam
10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
The man died for his love of the left turn, God rest his sole

Baby Lee
10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
This isn't F1 dude.

I'm talking F1 tech, not the specifics of various leagues.

Bambi
10-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Just watched it on youtube.

Do they usually run that many cars in one race? Seemed like it happened so easily. Surprising that there aren't more accidents like this in Indycar.

RIP Dan Wheldon

10-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Indy racing is the wine and cheese league not the burger and brats gathering.

Buck
10-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm talking F1 tech, not the specifics of various leagues.

I don't think they use each others' tech at all.

Demonpenz
10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
'Those things' are a major reason that there are less and less deathtraps every year, ****stick.

Oversized tracks leading to superfast lap times, which the organizers then packed with too many racers, may have created a deadly situation, that was realized in full by one of the league's luminaries, but those are different issues.

It sucks like hell Wheldon passed, but the marriage of racing and engineering in F1 is a great thing for human innovation.

No matter what you do it's still racing, it's going to happen.

kevonm
10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't think they use each others' tech at all.

I agree here, F1 races on winding tracks, indy is an oval track. Cant imagine there is a whole lot in common.

Jerm
10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
'Those things' are a major reason that there are less and less deathtraps every year, fuckstick.

I meant open wheel cars as a whole, fuckstick.

When you go hurdling towards a fence at insane speeds in a car that all but explodes with no protection for your head and upper body except for a helmet and fire suit yeah I'd say that's a fucking death trap.

There's no way you can't say stock cars aren't safer...I get it, racing as a whole is dangerous and this could happen to anyone so save it. Then again I'm apparently talking to someone who knows it all so why should I bother...

Way to derail the topic asshole.

I just hope for Dan and his family's sake he died upon impacting the wall and he wasn't burned alive.

Dylan
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I know this is mentioned in the NASCAR thread but this deserves its own thread. Horrific crash, one of ESPN's racing guys on twitter said it might be the worst multi car wreck he's ever seen. Apparently Dan Wheldon has been airlifted to a hospital and people are very concerned about his condition. Everyone else seems to have survived. The race is currently on ABC but has been stopped for the moment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcAZ7I_lk7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rest in Paradise, Wheldon

Wow, how sad.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Indy is eurotrash you dumbf*ck, not rednecks.

Ah, my bad. I don't keep up with the different levels of retards who drive cars in circles for a living. Or for a dying.

Al Bundy
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Racing those cars takes some serious balls. He was a St. Pete Fl resident. RIP Dan.

Bowser
10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Sucks for his family, especially with two kids so young. RIP

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
On the bright side, Baldwin will make his debut next week against the scum Raiders.

-King-
10-16-2011, 06:48 PM
On the bright side, Baldwin will make his debut next week against the scum Raiders.

:spock:

Hammock Parties
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Maybe I'm sick, but I have a morbid curiosity to see photos of his injuries. I can only imagine what a crash like that does to the human body.

Dylan
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
http://img3.allvoices.com/thumbs/image/609/480/81131127-dan-wheldon.jpg
DAN WHELDON
1978-2011

LAS VEGAS -- Dan Wheldon, the 2011 Indianapolis 500 winner and one of the most popular drivers in open-wheel racing, died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in a horrific multi-car crash on Lap 11 of the IndyCar Series season finale.

Officials decided to call the race, but the drivers did a five-lap tribute to Wheldon. IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard made the official announcement of Wheldon's death without further comment.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute to in his honor."

Wheldon, 33 and the 2005 series champion from Emberton, England, was competing in only his third IndyCar race of the season, trying to win the event and earn a $5 million bonus that was part of a league promotion for drivers who didn't compete full-time in the series this year.

He was the only driver to accept the challenge. This year's Indy 500 was the second time Wheldon had won the prestigious event. He also won it in 2005 and won 16 times overall in his IndyCar career

Wheldon was expected to replace Danica Patrick next season in the Go-Daddy-sponsored car for Andretti Autosport.

Patrick is moving to NASCAR full-time in 2012.

Wheldon was airlifted from the Las Vegas track at 1:19 p.m. local time Sunday and taken to a nearby hospital, becoming the first IndyCar driver to die on the track since rookie Paul Dana was killed in practice on the morning of race day at Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2006.

As word began to spread that his injuries were fatal, those at the track could not control their tears. Television cameras captured Ashley Judd, the wife of IndyCar champion Dario Franchitti, dabbing at her eyes shortly before the official word came.

The remainder of the race was canceled. Drivers solemnly returned to the track for the five-lap tribute, almost all of them hiding their eyes behind dark sunglasses after being told their colleague was gone. As Roger Penske met with his team trackside and other drivers simply hugged those around them, Bernard made the announcement of Wheldon's death.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today," Bernard said.

When drivers returned to the track, Wheldon's No. 77 was the only one on the towering scoreboard. Franchitti sobbed uncontrollably as he got back into his car for the tribute laps. Over speakers at the track, the song "Danny Boy" blared, followed by "Amazing Grace" as hundreds of crew workers from each team stood solemnly.

The race was only minutes old when Wheldon was one of 15 cars involved in the wreck that started when two cars touched tires.

Several cars burst into flames, and debris was all over the track, some of the impact so intense that workers needed to patch holes in the asphalt.

Video replays showed Wheldon's car turning over as it went airborne and sailed into what's called the "catch fence," which sits over the SAFER barrier that's designed to give a bit when cars make contact. Rescue workers were at Wheldon's car quickly, some furiously waving for more help to get to the scene.

Sunday's wreck left Townsend Bell upside down while smoldering cars and debris littered the track nearly halfway up the straightaway of the 1.5-mile oval.

The accident appeared to start when Wade Cunningham's car swerved on the track and JR Hildebrand drove over the left rear of Cunningham's car. Hildebrand appeared to go airborne, and Cunningham's car shot up into the wall, setting off a chain reaction among the cars behind him.

Some of those cars slowed, others didn't, and others spun in front of Wheldon and championship contender Will Power. There was so much chaos on the track it was hard to tell who was driving what car.

Power appeared to fly over Alex Lloyd's car, rolling into the catchfence and landing on its right side. His in-car camera showed one of the front tires coming toward him in the cockpit.

Wheldon then appeared to drive over Paul Tracy's car. Tracy seemed to be slowing but Weldon did not. He went airborne and spun into the fence.

The track was red-flagged following the accidents while crews worked on fences and removed smashed cars.

"It was like a movie scene which they try to make as gnarly as possible," said Patrick. "It was debris everywhere across the whole track, you could smell the smoke, you could see the billowing smoke on the back straight from the car. There was a chunk of fire that we were driving around. You could see cars scattered."

Drivers had been concerned about the high speeds at the track, where they were hitting nearly 225 mph during practice.

"I'll tell you, I've never seen anything like it," Ryan Briscoe said. "The debris we all had to drive through the lap later, it looked like a war scene from Terminator or something. I mean, there were just pieces of metal and car on fire in the middle of the track with no car attached to it and just debris everywhere.

So it was scary, and your first thoughts are hoping that no one is hurt because there's just stuff everywhere. Crazy."

Also injured in the crash were Hildebrand and Pippa Mann. Both will remain in the hospital overnight.

IndyCar said Mann was being treated for a burn to her right pinkie finger and will be released Monday morning, and Hildebrand was awake and alert but will be held overnight for further evaluation.

The accident spoiled what Bernard had hoped would be a showcase event for the struggling IndyCar Series.

The second-year CEO worked the entire season on turning the finale into a spectacle, and said he'd offer his resignation to the IndyCar board of directors if ABC's broadcast didn't pull a .8 ranking. His goal was to improve upon last year's season finale's horrible television rating and give the series some momentum for what's hoped to be a strong season in 2013 with the introduction of a new car and new manufacturers.

So Bernard poured everything into Las Vegas, renting the speedway from owner Bruton Smith and agreeing to promote the event himself. He landed enough sponsorship to at least break even on race, and the $5 million challenge bought him an enormous amount of publicity the entire year.

Bernard got the Las Vegas Strip to close to stage a parade of cars, hosted industry parties and a blackjack tournament all to boost interest in the race. He even got MGM Grand Resorts to offer a pair of tickets to anyone staying this weekend in one of the chain's 14 properties.

But what was hoped to be a day of celebration quickly turned somber.

Source: ESPN

LiveSteam
10-16-2011, 08:06 PM
This poor man dies & yet Bob Costa lives on. OWWWWWWWWWWWWW! THE HUMANITY!

johnny961
10-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Horrific. RIP Dan.

Archie F. Swin
10-16-2011, 08:27 PM
http://photogallery.thestar.com/1070853

still shots of wreck

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
That's just awful. No other way to spin it.

Demonpenz
10-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Could have been worse, see all the other debris and people crashing on fire, wouldn't have surprised me if 2 people or killed

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2011, 08:37 PM

We have a new leader in the clubhouse for dumbest comment ever on ChiefsPlanet.

Buck
10-16-2011, 08:38 PM
We have a new leader in the clubhouse for dumbest comment ever on ChiefsPlanet.

Did you see is first post in this thread? That's gotta be #2.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
What amazes me is that this doesn't happen about every other race.

OnTheWarpath15
Did you see is first post in this thread? That's gotta be #2.

:shake:

What an idiot.

Buck
Also his second.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2011, 08:40 PM

FFS.

whatsmynameagain
10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
ROFL

teedubya
10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
That was horrible. Holy shit.

CaliforniaChief
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Sad story. Prayers for his family, friends, and racing team.

Also, some of you are really stupid.

Bugeater
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
The accident spoiled what Bernard had hoped would be a showcase event for the struggling IndyCar Series.

The second-year CEO worked the entire season on turning the finale into a spectacle, and said he'd offer his resignation to the IndyCar board of directors if ABC's broadcast didn't pull a .8 ranking. His goal was to improve upon last year's season finale's horrible television rating and give the series some momentum for what's hoped to be a strong season in 2013 with the introduction of a new car and new manufacturers.

So Bernard poured everything into Las Vegas, renting the speedway from owner Bruton Smith and agreeing to promote the event himself. He landed enough sponsorship to at least break even on race, and the $5 million challenge bought him an enormous amount of publicity the entire year.

Bernard got the Las Vegas Strip to close to stage a parade of cars, hosted industry parties and a blackjack tournament all to boost interest in the race. He even got MGM Grand Resorts to offer a pair of tickets to anyone staying this weekend in one of the chain's 14 properties.

But what was hoped to be a day of celebration quickly turned somber.

Source: ESPN
Damn, that sure backfired on him.

Buck
10-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Damn, that sure backfired on him.

I bet they had a huge increase in ratings after the crash.

Pants
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM
That's is just terrible. Dude died doing what he loved most, he knew the risks and went out a race driver.

He's not the first and not the last.

RIP Dan.

johnny961
10-16-2011, 10:52 PM
That's is just terrible. Dude died doing what he loved most, he knew the risks and went out a race driver.

He's not the first and not the last.

RIP Dan.

Thats about the only thing that can be said about something as bad as this. At least he was doing something that he enjoyed when he went out. From the looks of that wreck he probably never knew what happened either. He probably wasn't conscious of much pain and suffering.

Aries Walker
10-17-2011, 01:18 AM
As you can imagine, this is about the only news story on right now in Indianapolis. It's just horrendous - the guy had everything going for him.

Here's a clip of some coverage of the wreck. I'm not sure which car was Wheldon's, but you can Sebastian Saavedra (red car) just nudge the car in front of him, which starts the whole thing. A couple of other guys try to react and then it's just mayhem.

No gore, but unsettling to say the least.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NFCOugYb6Hg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NFCOugYb6Hg

PornChief
10-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Poor dude was supposed to come down here to co-drive a V8 supercar in the Gold Coast 600 next weekend. 2nd year straight a last race accident cost Will Power a chance at the title.

lcarus
10-17-2011, 08:56 AM
RIP Dan Wheldon and prayers and thoughts to his family. I know zilch about racing and didn't even know of Wheldon, but from what they are saying, he was one of the great guys in sports. Sad day.

alpha_omega
10-17-2011, 10:29 AM
RIP Dan.

DJ's left nut
10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
You look through those stills and wonder how the hell Powers walked away from it.

His car had several moments where he could've easily been killed had it spun just a little differently, yet he suffers no real injury. In that later still where the two cars (Powers and Wheldon's) are skidding to a stop, neither car appears to be any worse off than the other; you could tell me that either one of those guys either died or walked away and I'd have believed you.

Just dumb luck.