PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Baldwin to be a game day decision

Mr. Laz
10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Haley: Baldwin to be game-time decision

Coach Todd Haley indicated today the Chiefs were no closer to deciding whether their first-round draft pick, wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin, would make his NFL debut Sunday against the Raiders in Oakland.

Baldwin broke his thumb in a training camp fight with teammate Thomas Jones. He was well enough to play in the Chiefs most recent game two weeks ago in Indianapolis, but was inactive.

''When I say somebody’s ready to go, he’s ready to go,'' Haley said. ''But at the same time as the head coach you’ve got to make the right decision for the team and for the Indy game that was the right decision because we won the game. But there’s a lot more that goes into it than Jonathan Baldwin.

''He was ready to go for the Indy game. I’m glad now he’s had a couple more weeks. At the same time, that decision will come down to game day, I believe. Not because of him really, but there are a lot of different things to think about.

''I have to think about Steve Breaston and Dwayne Bowe a little bit. They’ve been playing really well the last couple of weeks specifically and I don’t want to disrupt them a whole bunch.''

Two of the other backup wide receivers, Terrance Copper and Jeremy Horne, have been among the Chiefs’ better special teams players. If the Chiefs let Baldwin play, he would probably replace Horne on the active roster but Haley said Baldwin can’t yet make up for what Horne gives them on special teams.

''He’s practicing it and working at it,'' Haley said. ''But you’re talking about somebody that hasn’t had a lot of developmental time on special teams here for a lot of different reasons, number one because he was injured and couldn’t participate on special teams while everybody else was stacking practices under their belt.''

By Adam Teicher on October 20, 2011 - 2:11pm
login or register to post comments

kcxiv
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Like i said before, Haley is being Haley and this is what he does with WR's. Its not a big deal imo.

jd1020
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
This Baldwin shit is making no sense.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
One of the things about the "Patriot Way" that annoys me the most.

kcxiv
10-20-2011, 03:15 PM

If you know what haley is about, it makes perfect sense. dont have to like it, but from a Coach like Haley, it makes alot of sense.

HIChief
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Are receivers even worth 1st round picks anymore? Or, are they really a-dime-a-dozen?

BossChief
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Haley obviously thinks Baldwin needs a bigger dose of humility than most.

Also, you have to figure in other factors. Jackie Battles increased role after being a big part of special teams along with the other receivers that play a big role on st having to be inactive if we activate JB.

Personally, this is the week I have had circled on the calendar as JBs first game since he broke his thumb and if we don't play him and lose, in my opinion it will be a strike on Haley.

We'll see.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
It does if Baldwin was being stupid when he got hurt and Haley is trying to burn the attitude out of him.

i said when the Jones/Baldwin thing happened that we would basically find out who's fault it was by how Baldwin gets treated by Haley. Haley has buried him and basically said "we don't NEED you, you have to earn trust back"

That's what he's doing by not playing Baldwin even after he's healthy.

suds79
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Is Todd Haley trying to get fired?

Not playing Scott's first round pick probably isn't doing him any favors.

Freaking play the kid. Lets see what he's got.

-King-
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
What does he gain by saying that Baldwin is going to play right now?

I don't have a problem with what he's doing.

Titty Meat
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
He's obviously playing.

-King-
10-20-2011, 03:28 PM
He's obviously playing.

This.

Demonpenz
10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Crossing patters over the middle first 10 plays please.

nychief
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
ugh. Let him play.

Molitoth
10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Are receivers even worth 1st round picks anymore? Or, are they really a-dime-a-dozen?

Personally I think it all depends on who your QB is. If you have an inaccurate piece of shit that can't put the ball on the numbers or anywhere near by, then you need an athletic WR. (See Bowe and Cassel).

If you have an exceptional QB that can put the ball where it needs to be, you can spend your talent in other departments. (See Manning and Garcon, Wayne, Harrison, Etc.) or (Brady and Welker, Branch)

mcaj22
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

As you can see unless its cant miss talent like what AJ Green is doing right now (literally putting a dumpy franchise on his back) then yes they are worth it

but picking a WR in the late first, probably not.

HemiEd
10-20-2011, 03:43 PM
What does he gain by saying that Baldwin is going to play right now?

I don't have a problem with what he's doing.

I don't either, and the improvement of Bowe, is clear enough evidence that Haley knows what he is doing with WRs.

Larry Fitzgerald was thankful to Haley, but we have watched it with Bowe.

Micjones
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not at all bothered by Haley bringing Baldwin along slowly.
Breaston's played well as of late. No sense in disrupting the little rhythm the passing game has had here recently.

suds79
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm not at all bothered by Haley bringing Baldwin along slowly.
Breaston's played well as of late. No sense in disrupting the little rhythm the passing game has had here recently.

Breaston would still be active if Baldwin played.

We're talking about putting in Blaldwin out for the likes of Terrance Copper or Keary Colbert.

It's a no brainer.

BoneKrusher
10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Is Todd Haley trying to get fired?

Not playing Scott's first round pick probably isn't doing him any favors.

Freaking play the kid. Lets see what he's got.

Agreed. :thumb:

Baldwin has to be a better option than the Urban Cowboy.

Three7s
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM
He's obviously playing.
People said the same thing against the Colts. I wonder what that result was.

whoman69
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Ok, we get it. Haley is trying to get Baldwin to work harder to get into the line-up. This team could use the talent infusion, even if its for a slot receiver.

mlyonsd
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
''I have to think about Steve Breaston and Dwayne Bowe a little bit. They’ve been playing really well the last couple of weeks specifically and I don’t want to disrupt them a whole bunch.''

Here's an idea, send all three of them out at once.

Okie_Apparition
10-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Haley is gaming for his job. Since WRs are his known quanity, how Baldwin turns out could be huge for him. Got to make the boss look smart taking Baldwin #1

Chief Roundup
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM

This isn't just about the offense. It is also about special teams.

Chief Roundup
10-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Ok, we get it. Haley is trying to get Baldwin to work harder to get into the line-up. This team could use the talent infusion, even if its for a slot receiver.

Baldwin is not a slot receiver. We are currently using the slot receiver, Steve Breaston, as a SE instead of the slot.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Remember when Bowe wasnt starting, umm yea look at him now. Haley knows what he is doing.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Remember when Bowe wasnt starting, umm yea look at him now. Haley knows what he is doing.
Yea, Haley did the same goofy stuff with Bowe.

Remember when Copper was the starter during preseason or something? Bowe was listed 3rd on the depth chart. LMAO

deltachief
10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
It's called Haley love. First he beats all the prima donna, diva out of you then he molds you into an all pro. It has been proven to work. Yeah I would like to see the kid play but not at the expense of the team or is long term growth. I would come out with a 4 receiver set of Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Little DMC. Oakland does not have the secondary to cover all those guys at the same time.

BigMeatballDave
10-20-2011, 11:13 PM

Remember when Copper was the starter during preseason or something? Bowe was listed 3rd on the depth chart. LMAO

Goofy? Whatever works man.

mcaj22
10-21-2011, 12:06 AM
It's called Haley love. First he beats all the prima donna, diva out of you then he molds you into an all pro. It has been proven to work. Yeah I would like to see the kid play but not at the expense of the team or is long term growth. I would come out with a 4 receiver set of Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Little DMC. Oakland does not have the secondary to cover all those guys at the same time.

what yes they do. thats all Oakland does is recruit track stars to play in their secondary

GordonGekko
10-21-2011, 02:08 AM
If you know what haley is about, it makes perfect sense. dont have to like it, but from a Coach like Haley, it makes alot of sense.

The only thing I know about Haley is that his teams have a habit of getting crushed by 40+ pts. in consecutive weeks...

NY CHIEF
10-21-2011, 05:40 AM
ROFLHere's an idea, send all three of them out at once.

-King-
10-21-2011, 05:53 AM
The only thing I know about Haley is that his teams have a habit of getting crushed by 40+ pts. in consecutive weeks...

They do?
Posted via Mobile Device

cabletech94
10-21-2011, 06:39 AM

i would love to see this spread.

BigMeatballDave
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
The only thing I know about Haley is that his teams have a habit of getting crushed by 40+ pts. in consecutive weeks...One occurrence is not a habit.

Nightfyre
10-21-2011, 11:42 AM
One occurrence is not a habit.

ROFL

BossChief
10-21-2011, 12:41 PM

You say that as if its a bad thing.

Direckshun
10-21-2011, 01:43 PM

WHAT?

And take snaps away from our stud tight end?

Oh, he's injured?

Well we've got enough talent on the field. This is only going to take snaps away from our stud RB.

Oh, he's injured?

Well we have more than enough receivers willing to step in as a WR3.

Terrance Copper, you say?

Well. Shit.

whoman69
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
There comes a time when you get on a player to make him perform better for the team. There is also a time when you run out of options and need to get the best talent out on the field. I think were at the second choice.

Nightfyre
10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
There comes a time when you get on a player to make him perform better for the team. There is also a time when you run out of options and need to get the best talent out on the field. I think were at the second choice.

The long-term development of Baldwin is the priority, imo. His presence in his first game is not likely to be sufficient to sway the outcome.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
There is also a time when you run out of options and need to get the best talent out on the field. I think were at the second choice.

The Chiefs are still very much fighting for the division. If they were 0-5 Haley probably wouldnt hesitate to activate him. Whatever the case, this is really no big deal, its mostly just Haley mind games.

salame
10-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Keary Colbert................HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ming the Merciless
10-21-2011, 08:36 PM
He's obviously playing.

yep

salame
10-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I really hope Haley drops the bullshit and plays him

O.city
10-21-2011, 09:52 PM
I really hope Haley drops the bullshit and plays him

This. I think he will. While I think it's stupid, these coaches don't wanna give up anything before they have to. He will play.

This is the NFL, not the boyscouts. Put the talent on the field and let them make plays. I said it in the Bowe Diva thread, if a player on my favorite team is making plays, I don't really give a shit what he does in his free time.

-King-
10-21-2011, 10:10 PM
This. I think he will. While I think it's stupid, these coaches don't wanna give up anything before they have to. He will play.

This is the NFL, not the boyscouts. Put the talent on the field and let them make plays. I said it in the Bowe Diva thread, if a player on my favorite team is making plays, I don't really give a shit what he does in his free time.

Your favorite player is doing shit that makes teammates punch him. That's kind of a major thing.

O.city
10-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Your favorite player is doing shit that makes teammates punch him. That's kind of a major thing.

He's also not producing which makes me care. If he is putting up 1000 yard 10 td seasons and the team is successful, I don't give a rats ass.

jspchief
10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Rookie WRs often struggle making an impact anyway. What has Baldwin done to earn a spot on the active roster?

O.city
10-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Rookie WRs often struggle making an impact anyway. What has Baldwin done to earn a spot on the active roster?

Well he was a first round draft pick. If he can't make the roster then our GM needs to hit the fucking door.

O.city
10-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Just noticed on Twitter that Baldwin and Cassel were at Arrowhead tonight for the Joplin RayPec game. Surely he plays this week.

philfree
10-21-2011, 10:19 PM
After watching Haley praise Baldwin in his presser today I believe Baldwin will play.

NJChiefsFan
10-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Like i said before, Haley is being Haley and this is what he does with WR's. Its not a big deal imo.

Agreed. With Haley's track record with WR's, I just don't get why people don't give him the benifit of the doubt in this area.