PDA

View Full Version : News Tony G four catches away from #2 all-time receiving

Okie_Apparition
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Tony Gonzalez closes in on No. 2 on all-time receptions list

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 20, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT

Having already reached statistical milestones that no other tight end has ever accomplished in NFL history, Tony Gonzalez is now closing in on statistical territory that’s been reached by only one wide receiver in NFL history.

If he catches four passes for the Falcons against the Lions on Sunday, Gonzalez will move into second place on the NFL’s all-time receiving list, behind only Jerry Rice. Gonzalez currently has 1,099 catches in his career, just behind Cris Carter (1,101) and Marvin Harrison (1,102).

Gonzalez’s career numbers really are extraordinary. He’s played in the NFL for 15 years and missed just two games, and his 12,781 receiving yards and 92 touchdowns are both the best for any tight end in NFL history.

Of course, looking at career receiving numbers also serves as a reminder of just what an amazing player Rice was. Gonzalez is about to move into No. 2 on the all-time receptions list, but he’s still 450 catches behind Rice, who finished his career with 1,549 receptions.

Hammock Parties
10-20-2011, 05:15 PM
water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

SPATCH
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
agonizing nostalgia over here

Sofa King
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I miss watching him play.

Okie_Apparition
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
He's got to be moving like a slug these days

Rain Man
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Five more seasons or so to pass Rice. Go for it, Tony.

Discuss Thrower
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Meh. He's not on the roster so I don't care from anything but a fan of the sport standpoint.

Micjones
10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Insane. One of the greatest returns the Chiefs ever got on a draft pick.
First ballot Hall of Famer. Wish he could've stayed in Kansas City his entire career.

Deberg_1990
10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Don't really miss him much, but dude is a physical freak, and it's amazing he's only missed two games in 15 years. That's incredible and a big reason why he has the numbers he has.

SPchief
10-20-2011, 05:28 PM
THIS WAS NEVER A THREAD ABOUT BANNING RAIDER FANS (FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT YET).

THIS IS A POST WHORE THREAD TO WIN A COMPETITION.

CURRENT BRIBES:

I'LL THROW IN ANOTHER MILLION TO THE PERSON WITH THE MOST POSTS WHEN THIS ENDS AT 8AM SATURDAY, ASSUMING WE WIN.

Lumpy is going to show some kind of revealing photo or photos if we win.

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

Head on over to the raider troll thread

Backwards Masking
10-20-2011, 05:29 PM
It'll be every bit as sick watching Tony G get passed over First Ballot for Ladanian tomlinson as it was watching Willie Roaf get passed over first ballot for Marshall Faulk.

I know, I'm being a Negative Nancy, but after seeing Big Willie get the screwjob last Jan. it's kinda hard not to be.

Okie_Apparition
10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
They'll be forced to go with the first transgendered player. You tell how easy Thomlinson toppels over now, that the boob job has already been done.

pr_capone
10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
He is 12 rejected autograph requests by children away from being the #1 biggest NFL douche

DeezNutz
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Falcons troll?

BossChief
10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
He is 12 rejected autograph requests by children away from being the #1 biggest NFL douche

THIS

Ive been to a fuckton of practices and the ONLY times Ive seen Tony G sign was when he HAD TO.

He sure was a great player, though.

KCrockaholic
10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Pretty amazing for a TightEnd to be able to do more than almost all Wide Receivers do in an entire career.

88TG88
10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I really should change my handle

Marcellus
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
THIS

Ive been to a ****ton of practices and the ONLY times Ive seen Tony G sign was when he HAD TO.

This. As long as he perfroms I could care less about autographs. And for the record he has done a lot of good things. If he doesn't like signing I can't blame him.

Fumblerooski
10-20-2011, 07:08 PM
THIS

Ive been to a ****ton of practices and the ONLY times Ive seen Tony G sign was when he HAD TO.

I went up to River Falls the last year he was with the team to get a bunch of swag signed for my gameroom.. I remember the only time he signed he started to run past the line, stopped, kinda shook his head like he almost forgot something, and then went down the line.. Almost like they told him he had to that day.. He looked like it was painful for him. I didn't care though, I got the '07 Pro Bowl cleats I snagged from eBay signed. Still a Chief or not, they are still my favorite item.. Even if I had LJ sign the other one..

Cornstock
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
You guys just weren't persistent enough. When I was 14 I got to go down to the players parking lot after a game (a friend of a friend of a friend kind of deal). A lot of the players were all hanging out celebrating the win, but Tony just kind of booked it out of there. I spotted him walking to his car and ran after him from across the parking yelling to him. He tried to ignore me for a while but eventually he gave in. He wasn't even that snooty about signing my hoody.

After that I went and chilled with Morten Anderson. Dude was a stud...offered me a beer (politely declined, parents wouldn't have approved) and talked football the rest of the afternoon.

Dunit35
10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Didnt he miss week one of his rookie season against the bears or some team? If that's one of the two games that's pretty legit.

whoman69
10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
I went up to River Falls the last year he was with the team to get a bunch of swag signed for my gameroom.. I remember the only time he signed he started to run past the line, stopped, kinda shook his head like he almost forgot something, and then went down the line.. Almost like they told him he had to that day.. He looked like it was painful for him. I didn't care though, I got the '07 Pro Bowl cleats I snagged from eBay signed. Still a Chief or not, they are still my favorite item.. Even if I had LJ sign the other one..

That's just wrong for LJ to befoul such an item.

SPATCH
10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Don't really miss him much, but dude is a physical freak, and it's amazing he's only missed two games in 15 years. That's incredible and a big reason why he has the numbers he has.

srsly GTFO

dude, he saved a random stranger from choking to death. quit being a douche.

pr_capone
10-20-2011, 09:04 PM
dude, he saved a random stranger from choking to death. quit being a douche.

Hey... good for him.

Holy shit I was fucking wrong about this guy. He is a god damned saint! Children should only be so lucky to be graced by even just a dirty look by the guy.

milkman
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Still looking for that first playoff win.

TEX
10-20-2011, 10:49 PM

True...but it doesn't take anything away from what he's been able to accomplish. Dude is first ballot for sure.

Three7s
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
He'll never get it.

Caseyguyrr
10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
very very sad to see that he wont be doing it in a chiefs jersey, ive always missed him

Slainte
10-21-2011, 06:14 AM
After that I went and chilled with Morten Anderson.

Did he autofellate for you?

MahiMike
10-21-2011, 06:30 AM
My son wanted him on our fantasy team and I obliged. Having his best year in some time. The amazing thing about this record is that it's vs. WR's! Not just TE's.

BoneKrusher
10-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Insane. One of the greatest returns the Chiefs ever got on a draft pick.
First ballot Hall of Famer. Wish he could've stayed in Kansas City his entire career.

my thoughts as well. :thumb:

Lzen
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Good for Tony G. Always one of my favorite Chiefs players. Too bad he had to go to Atlanta, but I understand why he did.

bobbything
10-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Hell of a great player, and I really enjoyed watching him play. However, I was in the position to meet him on two separate occasions. Once in River Falls in the dorms, and another at a charity event. He's not exactly what you'd call "humble", and doesn't really hide his arrogance.

But, whatever, he was a great football player, stayed out of trouble, and did good things in the KC community.

dtebbe
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
People here in ATL are just starting to realize what a great player he is.. it's pretty funny. The local news keeps doing little stories on his milestones, and even the anchors act surprised. I especially chuckle when ATL fans talk about how well he run blocks.. I casually ask them if they've ever heard of Priest Holmes, or Larry Johnson and most haven't. Pretty sad football town, the ATL.

DT

BigOlChiefsfan
10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, what do expect from anyplace with 83 streets named 'peachtree'?

lcarus
10-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey... good for him.

Holy shit I was ****ing wrong about this guy. He is a god damned saint! Children should only be so lucky to be graced by even just a dirty look by the guy.

I think Gonzalez is actually a pretty good guy who just sucks at fan service. Which is ok by me, considering I'm the type to just totally leave celebrities alone if I come across them. Like if I saw Bruce Dickinson sitting alone having a cup of coffee or tea, I'd shit a gold brick, but I would force myself to not bother him.

Pioli Zombie
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
This pulls down my pants and taunts me.

Pioli Zombie
10-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I was once sucked off in a Dairy Queen parking lot by Tony Gonzales. Oh wait, that was a black woman I worked with. Never mind.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-01-2012, 11:40 AM
greggrosenthalgregg rosenthal

Glazer reports Falcons re-sign Tony Gonzalez, one-year, $7 million.

StcChief
01-01-2012, 01:10 PM
On his way to NFL HOF. great years in KC. avg in ATL. too many targets. long way to No.1.

BossChief
01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Damn, I had a small hope that he would come here for one last meaningless run.

Straight, No Chaser
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM

He might... before he's done in the ATL, he keeps himself in great shape. At least sign him to a one day contact so he can retire a Chief.

BigChiefFan
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
We traded one of the best players of ALL-TIME for Javier Arenas, a nickel corner. Pioli screwed the pooch.

Bewbies
01-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Atlanta plays at Arrowhead next season.....

cardken
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
We traded one of the best players of ALL-TIME for Javier Arenas, a nickel corner. Pioli screwed the pooch.

It was the right thing to do at the time. The trade was for "time served", he'd done his bit for "King and Country", he deserved a shot at the ring and a contending team. No hard feelings.