PDA

View Full Version : News To those having/had ACL surgery.....!

God of Thunder
10-22-2011, 08:00 PM
How in the HELL did you deal with the rehab?!?!

I had mine last Monday, and surgery was a breeze.....I was scared of that part, and it was easy!

But the rehab..........has been hell. I am very fortunate that I still live at home and my parents are helping with damn near everything. How on earth could a single male do this on his own???

I had an autograph done, and can only use 30% (THIRTY FU@#)(ING PERCENT) of my weight for 4 weeks on my right leg....it's so hard......

I have this machine that keeps my knee moving up and down........up and down...........up and down, and then, everywhere else, I have to be locked in this brace that doesn't let my knee bend.....and it CANT get wet! So do you know how I take showers?!! You don't want to know, trust me....

So, for those who are having ACL surgery, good luck...for those who have done it, how long before this shit gets easier? If you can't tell, i'm going out of my mind here.......

mnchiefsguy
10-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a royal pain in the ass. Best of luck with your rehab and recovery.

Marcellus
10-22-2011, 08:05 PM

I had mine last Monday, and surgery was a breeze.....I was scared of that part, and it was easy!

But the rehab..........has been hell. I am very fortunate that I still live at home and my parents are helping with damn near everything. How on earth could a single male do this on his own???

I had an autograph done, and can only use 30% (THIRTY FU@#)(ING PERCENT) of my weight for 4 weeks on my right leg....it's so hard......

I have this machine that keeps my knee moving up and down........up and down...........up and down, and then, everywhere else, I have to be locked in this brace that doesn't let my knee bend.....and it CANT get wet! So do you know how I take showers?!! You don't want to know, trust me....

So, for those who are having ACL surgery, good luck...for those who have done it, how long before this shit gets easier? If you can't tell, i'm going out of my mind here.......

Try PM'ing JC, Berry, or Moeaki, they may have some tips by now.

Bwana
10-22-2011, 08:10 PM
It sounds like a pain in the ass. Good luck with your recovery.

crispystl
10-22-2011, 08:12 PM

I always thought is has to be extremely painful for that machine to move your knee without you having any control over the range of it.

crispystl
10-22-2011, 08:13 PM

I have been meaning to tell you and keep forgetting, congrats on the mod status. You deserve it.

soonersfreak
10-22-2011, 08:18 PM
The first week is the worst. Then you start figuring out how to adjust and take care of yourself.

When I had mine back in the '80s they wouldn't let you put weight on the leg for 8 weeks. That was the worst part. The leg was a toothpick by the time the two months had passed.

It will get better. Just hang in there.

God of Thunder
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone wishing me a speedy rehab!

And you're right, it's hell to have no control, it does move really slowly and I can select the angle (I need to be at 90degrees and -5degrees) but its even harder to be on your back sleeping, not able to really turn any direction, then wake up in pain cause your knee is stiff, then get in the machine (on your back)....then your knee pain goes down, but your back starts feeling it. Get up in the AM, do some of my physical therapy excercises (which is sitting down), walk to the couch, have the parents move the machine out here, and then climb in again.......my back is not happy. My knee is not happy. Brandon.....is not happy.

God of Thunder
10-22-2011, 08:21 PM
The first week is the worst. Then you start figuring out how to adjust and take care of yourself.

When I had mine back in the '80s they wouldn't let you put weight on the leg for 8 weeks. That was the worst part. The leg was a toothpick by the time the two months had passed.

It will get better. Just hang in there.

Thanks man, I keep trying......it's just a lot worse than I imagined. I made a joke that no longer will i go "man, I hope he/she dies", I will wish them to have ACL surgery cause the aftermath would be worse. :-)

Braincase
10-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Had both knees done in the 80's. Left knee was ACL, full zipper, graft in '83. Spent probably 4 months on crutches. Rehab was a bitch. Laying on my back with my fott against the wall, letting gravity pull my foot down, feeling the lesions pop. Second knee was a full ACL and meniscectomy in '89. It was arthroscopic, but I lost my cartilage, and it was game over for sports. Still rehabbing that, but I figure I'm 5-7 years away from a total knee. Yay, me.

Fritz88
10-22-2011, 08:32 PM
It's two weeks of pain...

Also, I can't stress physical therapy enough.

Good luck

Joe Seahawk
10-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Do not underestimate the importance of the CPM. never lose your range of motion and you'll be fine, sucks right now, but you'll be fine. USE THE CPM!

Good Luck

lcarus
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Sounds like a pain in the knee. If ACLs were in the ass, Berry and Charles would still be healthy and Cassel would be on IR.

keg in kc
10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
This sounds like a cakewalk. When I had mine in the late 80s I rehabbed for something like 9-12 months and was on crutches for half of it.

Demonpenz
10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
good luck

milkman
10-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Worker's comp paid for the therpist and a gym membership.

God of Thunder
10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Do not underestimate the importance of the CPM. never lose your range of motion and you'll be fine, sucks right now, but you'll be fine. USE THE CPM!

Good Luck

They told me the CPM will be my best friend.....and I can say that so far, it IS my best friend. I have woke up so many nights stiff as hell (and not the good stiff) and had to have someone get the machine, and set me up in it.....it's so just horrible being on your back all the time.

I am also realizing that I need more internet sites to visit because I keep making my rounds to the forums and there's not much new!!

haha, oh, Go tech.

Joe Seahawk
10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
They told me the CPM will be my best friend.....and I can say that so far, it IS my best friend. I have woke up so many nights stiff as hell (and not the good stiff) and had to have someone get the machine, and set me up in it.....it's so just horrible being on your back all the time.

I am also realizing that I need more internet sites to visit because I keep making my rounds to the forums and there's not much new!!

haha, oh, Go tech.

My kids were 4 and 6 when I was recovering, I remember fondly watching Scooby Doo movies with them at night (and crocodile hunter) while buzzin on hydrocodone.. :thumb:

Bwana
10-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Sounds like a pain in the knee. If ACLs were in the ass, Berry and Charles would still be healthy and Cassel would be on IR.

Perhaps, but everyone of our linemen would have been on IR back in the Larry Johnson days, ass rammer that he was.

Also, If the knee were the ass, would Martin kove have said "sweep the ass?" I guess we'll never know.

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kreese.jpg

Braincase
10-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Perhaps, but everyone of our linemen would have been on IR back in the Larry Jounson days, ass rammer that he was.

Also, If the knee were the ass, would Martin kove have said "sweep the ass?" I guess we'll never know.

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kreese.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

KCUnited
10-23-2011, 07:25 AM
I tore more than my ACL and had to stay in the CPM machine for 23 hours a day for 2 weeks after my reconstruction. My roommate would leave out some beef jerky and my piss pot before he'd leave for work. I'd read books and listen to metal while watching the staples across my kneecap stretch the skin when my knee would bend.

The therapy is legal torture, but you have to stay married to it. After I was out of the CPM and in therapy they would roll a towel around my kneecap and tap it with a rubber mallet to try to break up any remaining scar tissue that had developed around the cap. Today I have just over a 90 degree bend, but could never get the leg to completely straighten out which can lead to hamstring/back pain without a constant stretching regiment.

Took 50 to 75 yards off my drive, but I make up for with my short game.

cabletech94
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
although not near as close as yours, i just had a 'scope for a meniscus tear. someone said buzzing on hydro--yep, that's my weekend. and i'm hurting pretty good.

i wish you best in your recovery, you should send bwana a pm. he'll fix your name dude!
good luck!!!

GloryDayz
10-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Worker's comp paid for the therpist and a gym membership.

Yeah, not the NAVY!!! They just laughed a lot...

HeadArrow
10-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Had ACL surgery about 4 years ago, and it's a bitch. Probably as tough as anything I've done. Recovery is very slow. Try and go to PT with a good attitude, and they will get you back. My PT people were great, and I ended up actually looking forward to going.

One thing I recommend is getting the knee bending as far as you possibly can, as quick as you can. It's extremely painful, but the more you do up front the more flexible it will be later.