PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ghost Stories

Huffmeister
10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't really believe in ghosts, but I do love a good, creepy ghost story. Fictional ghost stories are alright, but the 'authentic' stories of people's actual experiences are way more interesting.

So does anyone have any personal ghost (or other supernatural) stories?

There have been a couple of threads in the past about this. Coincidentally, both are titled 'Do you believe in ghosts?'. But neither of them have been updated since 2007. With Halloween right around the corner, I figured it'd be a good time to bring up the topic again.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=102623 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=102623&highlight=ghost+stories&page=8)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=31490

Mr. Plow
10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
With Halloween right around the corner, I figured it'd be a good time to bring up the topic again.

You were wrong.

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I believe ghosts scare Plow.

loochy
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uDVUFRnifgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quesadilla Joe
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't really believe in ghosts, but I do love a good, creepy ghost story. Fictional ghost stories are alright, but the 'authentic' stories of people's actual experiences are way more interesting.

None of my encounters with Ghost have been scary. Rage inducing, but not scary.

MTG#10
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I dont believe in ghosts, but had something very creepy happen when I was in high-school. A couple buddies and I were parked on the side of an old farm road getting high one night. There was a small bridge by us and we heard what sounded exactly like a human baby crying coming from the creek bed underneath. I turned my car around so I could shine my headlights at the bridge but we didnt see anything. The crying got louder and we freaked out and left.

A couple days later my friend and I were telling his grandpa about it. When we told him where it happened he looked like he had just seen a ghost (no pun intended). He said "hold on a minute, I have something to show you". He went to his bedroom and came back with an old newspaper from the 60's. Apparently back then a local woman murdered her newborn baby and threw the body under that same bridge. He kept the article because he was the detective that worked the case and he said it was the most troubling case he ever investigated. The hairs on my arms are standing up right now as Im typing this and do every time I think about that night.

wazu
10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I dont believe in ghosts, but had something very creepy happen when I was in high-school. A couple buddies and I were parked on the side of an old farm road getting high one night. There was a small bridge by us and we heard what sounded exactly like a human baby crying coming from the creek bed underneath. I turned my car around so I could shine my headlights at the bridge but we didnt see anything. The crying got louder and we freaked out and left.

A couple days later my friend and I were telling his grandpa about it. When we told him where it happened he looked like he had just seen a ghost (no pun intended). He said "hold on a minute, I have something to show you". He went to his bedroom and came back with an old newspaper from the 60's. Apparently back then a local woman murdered her newborn baby and threw the body under that same bridge. He kept the article because he was the detective that worked the case and he said it was the most troubling case he ever investigated. The hairs on my arms are standing up right now typing this and does every time I think about that night.

I wonder why it's always the murder victims that hang around and haunt the area they were killed in. This baby has it particularly rough since his only real method of inspiring terror is to cry when stoners are near.

Mr. Plow
10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I love ghost stories that start with "So, we were getting high......."

Gonzo
10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
A buddy of mine was really popular when he was younger. I mean, everywhere he went people knew him. His big claim to fame was he had psychic abillity.

He could talk to ghosts and actually help them by resolving their issues. Most ghosts haunt people because they have unresoved problems.
Well, unfortunately my buddy ended up being a total loser. He really peaked around 11. Then? Poof... Dogshit.

Poor guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Haley_Joel_Osment_mug_shot.jpg/220px-Haley_Joel_Osment_mug_shot.jpg

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

A couple days later my friend and I were telling his grandpa about it. When we told him where it happened he looked like he had just seen a ghost (no pun intended). He said "hold on a minute, I have something to show you". He went to his bedroom and came back with an old newspaper from the 60's. Apparently back then a local woman murdered her newborn baby and threw the body under that same bridge. He kept the article because he was the detective that worked the case and he said it was the most troubling case he ever investigated. The hairs on my arms are standing up right now as Im typing this and do every time I think about that night.

Bobcat. Under a bridge that’s crossing a creek wouldn’t be an uncommon place to find them either.

Nzoner
10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Not great but the best I have was when in the 5th grade we lived fairly close to an old cemetery and there was a small pond in the middle of it that us kids would go to and drop in a line.Don't know why but I've always had a fascination of looking at gravestone dates.Anyhow,one summer day a friend and I were fishing with no luck and upon leaving decided to check out some gravestones off our regular path.

So there we are standing in front of a stone from the 1800's and based on the date knew it was a child's grave around our age.Suddenly and I swear to this,the wind picked up and the ground literally shook beneath our feet.Both of us dropped our fishing gear and made a mad dash for home.

It was a real of enough experience that I never returned to that place so I have no idea who might've found the fishing gear.

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Only personal ghost story I have is seeing the previous owner of my parents house. She died about 4 years before my parents bought the place and we moved in.
I saw her when I was about 7, my sister and I were upstairs in my parents room watching Peter Pan, I remember it all very clearly even today. I got up, looked towards the stairs and there she was stepping around the corner looking straight at me. I didn't assume she was a ghost, I was just shocked that some stranger was in the house. I turned to look at my sister then turned back to look at the ghost and she was gone.
She wasn't a ghostly apperition but as solid and real looking as anyone else and though strange things would happen thoughout my life in that house I never saw her again.

MTG#10
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Bobcat. Under a bridge that’s crossing a creek wouldn’t be an uncommon place to find them either.

A bobcat that sounds identical to a human baby crying? Maybe.

MTG#10
10-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Suddenly and I swear to this,the wind picked up and the ground literally shook beneath our feet.Both of us dropped our fishing gear and made a mad dash for home.

Earthquake?

MOhillbilly
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
My father has come to me many times. The last time was the last time. Said he was done watching over me and that since i had fully arrived, he was leaving.

Three7s
10-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I wish a ghost would possess Matt Cassel.

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Most people discribe the howl of a bobcat as sounding just like a baby crying.
I've heard it before and agree.

Iowanian
10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
I've spent the past 4 years remodeling a home that is around 100 yrs old, the majority of that time has been owned by 1 family, the parents and then the bachelor son. The house was available because the owner had died, been found dead in a downstairs room by a cleaning lady.

I'd had to remove the contents of the home, threw out decades of that family history, and kept a few unique items and scrap books with some interesting stuff. My kids play with the IDs, licenses, bank cards and old metal stamped SS cards we found. There were quite a few historically significant documents in the home relating to a historic and tragic event in Europe in the 1940s, maybe you've heard of it. Lots of reminders of the family past.

Anyway, One night I come home around 3am from a poker game, the house feels a little cool and I felt like someone was watching me. I tried to quietly take off my shoes, put my coat on a hanger and emptied my pockets on the counter. Then I slipped into the dark bathroom where the man had died, and I thought about him dying in that room for some reason as I stepped in and reached for the light. I turned it on, went to the newly installed in the remodel toilet and peed. I then washed my hands, slipped into my night cloths and headed for bed.

Just as I got to the stairway and started up, I saw her standing in the stairwell, looking at me in a somewhat disapproving and menacing gaze. I stopped and looked at her for a moment, making sure what I was seeing, and then my wife said, You're a little late, get your ass to bed before you wake up the kids.

Okie_Apparition
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
I was haunted by a cat for years. It would jump on the bed & lay curled at my ankle. The pressure was unmistakeable. Turn on the light, nothing there. After years of it, I finaly got pissed off & yelled get the **** off me. It never came back.

The cat was killed in front of me in a very cruel way when I was about 4

raybec 4
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I've spent the past 4 years remodeling a home that is around 100 yrs old, the majority of that time has been owned by 1 family, the parents and then the bachelor son. The house was available because the owner had died, been found dead in a downstairs room by a cleaning lady.

I'd had to remove the contents of the home, threw out decades of that family history, and kept a few unique items and scrap books with some interesting stuff. My kids play with the IDs, licenses, bank cards and old metal stamped SS cards we found. There were quite a few historically significant documents in the home relating to a historic and tragic event in Europe in the 1940s, maybe you've heard of it. Lots of reminders of the family past.

Anyway, One night I come home around 3am from a poker game, the house feels a little cool and I felt like someone was watching me. I tried to quietly take off my shoes, put my coat on a hanger and emptied my pockets on the counter. Then I slipped into the dark bathroom where the man had died, and I thought about him dying in that room for some reason as I stepped in and reached for the light. I turned it on, went to the newly installed in the remodel toilet and peed. I then washed my hands, slipped into my night cloths and headed for bed.

Just as I got to the stairway and started up, I saw her standing in the stairwell, looking at me in a somewhat disapproving and menacing gaze. I stopped and looked at her for a moment, making sure what I was seeing, and then my wife said, You're a little late, get your ass to bed before you wake up the kids.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up just reading that! I'll have nightmares for a week

seaofred
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
A friend of my families used to own some cabins and a little store, just outside of a state park here in Missouri. The original owners lived in what is now called cabin 2A. It was a husband, wife, daughter, and the wife's father.

One day the husband went nuts and killed them all and then himself (This was in the 50's I think). Anyway, the family we new lived in a house that was next to cabin 2A. When I was a kid and would go over there I would alway go exploring, until one day. I was cutting a short cut through cabin 2A and they had a deer head mounted on the wall. As I walked through the room, the deer head followed me. still creaps me out.

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Scared at least 10 years off your life I’m sure.

Huffmeister
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Only personal ghost story I have is seeing the previous owner of my parents house. She died about 4 years before my parents bought the place and we moved in.
I saw her when I was about 7, my sister and I were upstairs in my parents room watching Peter Pan, I remember it all very clearly even today. I got up, looked towards the stairs and there she was stepping around the corner looking straight at me. I didn't assume she was a ghost, I was just shocked that some stranger was in the house. I turned to look at my sister then turned back to look at the ghost and she was gone.
She wasn't a ghostly apperition but as solid and real looking as anyone else and though strange things would happen thoughout my life in that house I never saw her again.

Just curious, how did you know that it was the previous owner? Had you known the previous owner, or seen a picture? Or did you just assume that it must've been someone with a connection to the house? All these years later, are you able to describe what she looked like?

Gonzo
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM

So... You just assume that it was a ghost baby and not some prick who left their kid there, abandoned?

Nice. You're an asshole for not saving the kid. It probably died from exposure, you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Just curious, how did you know that it was the previous owner? Had you known the previous owner, or seen a picture?

Yes, I saw a picture. I became friends with one of the old neighbor ladies that knew her. I’d run errands for neighbor lady like running to the grocery store for whatever she forgot to get when her daughter took her and she’d let me keep the change. Nice old lady.
Anyway, the back story on the previous owner is that she was a stubborn woman that literally built the house herself with rocks gathered from the Neosho River for the foundation and fire place. She had a family there and added on to the house as her family grew. Strange part is I never heard, or saw in any of the pictures, of a man involved. Don’t know the story on that or who the children’s father was.
Regardless after her kids grew up and left she ran a couple of small businesses out of the house. One was a sewing shop then later a beauty salon, both of which were in what would become my bedroom.
So she built, grew a family and a small business then eventually died in that house. I can believe that would be a pretty strong attachment.

All these years later, are you able to describe what she looked like?

Yes, and here’s the kicker. I described what I saw to the nice neighbor lady and she began crying because I saw what she was buried in. From the long black dress with matching black gloves, shoes, a hat with a vail that covered her face, to the bag she was holding in her left hand. My child mind thought it was a paper bag but nice neighbor lady told me it was one of those old draw string purses.
My parents just sold that house a couple of days ago and even as I was doing a final walk through to make sure they had all of their stuff out, I got that creepy feeling like she was watching. Never did like that house, glad to see it gone.

raybec 4
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
So... You just assume that it was a ghost baby and not some prick who left their kid there, abandoned?

Nice. You're an asshole for not saving the kid. It probably died from exposure, you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

The baby got scratched in the face by a cat, it wasn't worth saving.

bevischief
10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
My dad use to paint houses on the side in evenings and weekends growing up. My brother and I would go along and help out when not in school. He was painting the outside of the house, it was over a 100 years old. So one of the first days we were painting, my brother took a break and went in to take a look at the house. Both first and second floors nothing just an old house. But as we went down into the basement it got cold, the hair on the back of necks raised up. It is a stone cellar, we look around then we found a small door that was close to the front of the house. We open and we turn the light on. We see the walls are the color of blood including the floor and ceiling. After feeling the temperature drop and it was cold in there. We left very quickly and never went back in the house after for the rest of the job.

Fish
10-27-2011, 01:03 PM
The human brain is a brilliant trickster.

Gonzo
10-27-2011, 01:09 PM
The baby got scratched in the face by a cat, it wasn't worth saving.

LMAO

Gtta love cross thread humor...

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
My dad died about 4 years ago and on 3 or 4 instances for the year following my daughter would tell me "I saw grandpa today." She always said he was walking down the sidewalk across from her school in his slow, very distinctive way as she got on the bus after school. She said he was wearing his blue and yellow plaid shirt... which is a shirt he used to have. She was never frightened by it, in fact I got the feeling she thought it was neat. She said she figured he was just watching to make sure she got on the bus safely.

Every time she brought it up she was completely nonchalant about it. I even asked her a few times if she'd seen him lately and she would say no it had been a while and said that she told me every time. I also asked her if she ever pointed him out to anyone else to see if they saw him too. She very calmly said "no I know he's just there for me."

One day she saw him standing about a quarter of the way down the block across from the bus as she sat in her seat. He was facing her and she waved at him and he waved back then walked away. She says she hasn't seen hm since. That was about 3 years ago. Guess he got the assurance with that that she was ok and he was ok to go.

I realize it's easy to explain this as a kids imagination and I'll never know if it was or wasn't. What I do know is she has never been the one to make up stories. We take the honesty in our relationship very seriously. My feeling is if she was making it up I gave her plenty of opportunitys to continue doing that when I'd ask her if she'd seen him again, but she never said she did.

I've chosen to believe she was telling the truth and that he was there watching over her. Makes me feel good to know. Maybe the strangest thing about it is that he lived and died 4 hours away from where we live. I'm glad he stuck around a while and looked out for her.

Iowanian
10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
The human brain is a brilliant trickster.

The human brain tricked 2 windows out of my rental house attic in early 2000.

loochy
10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
My dad use to paint houses on the side in evenings and weekends growing up. My brother and I would go along and help out when not in school. He was painting the outside of the house, it was over a 100 years old. So one of the first days we were painting, my brother took a break and went in to take a look at the house. Both first and second floors nothing just an old house. But as we went down into the basement it got cold, the hair on the back of necks raised up. It is a stone cellar, we look around then we found a small door that was close to the front of the house. We open and we turn the light on. We see the walls are the color of blood including the floor and ceiling. After feeling the temperature drop and it was cold in there. We left very quickly and never went back in the house after for the rest of the job.

Cellars are always cold though.

Fish
10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
The human brain tricked 2 windows out of my rental house attic in early 2000.

Ghosts broke your windows? Did Patrick Swayze teach them to move material objects by thinking really hard?

MTG#10
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

So you're saying now there may be two ghost babies under that bridge? Creepy.

LiveSteam
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM

They sound like a baby screaming, So do rabbits.

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 03:28 PM
My dad died about 4 years ago and on 3 or 4 instances for the year following my daughter would tell me "I saw grandpa today." She always said he was walking down the sidewalk across from her school in his slow, very distinctive way as she got on the bus after school. She said he was wearing his blue and yellow plaid shirt... which is a shirt he used to have. She was never frightened by it, in fact I got the feeling she thought it was neat. She said she figured he was just watching to make sure she got on the bus safely.

Every time she brought it up she was completely nonchalant about it. I even asked her a few times if she'd seen him lately and she would say no it had been a while and said that she told me every time. I also asked her if she ever pointed him out to anyone else to see if they saw him too. She very calmly said "no I know he's just there for me."

One day she saw him standing about a quarter of the way down the block across from the bus as she sat in her seat. He was facing her and she waved at him and he waved back then walked away. She says she hasn't seen hm since. That was about 3 years ago. Guess he got the assurance with that that she was ok and he was ok to go.

I realize it's easy to explain this as a kids imagination and I'll never know if it was or wasn't. What I do know is she has never been the one to make up stories. We take the honesty in our relationship very seriously. My feeling is if she was making it up I gave her plenty of opportunitys to continue doing that when I'd ask her if she'd seen him again, but she never said she did.

I've chosen to believe she was telling the truth and that he was there watching over her. Makes me feel good to know. Maybe the strangest thing about it is that he lived and died 4 hours away from where we live. I'm glad he stuck around a while and looked out for her.

Engineering Counterpart lives in his grandparents old home and his step daughter would be in her bedroom just gibber gabbering away. When he’d walk into her room to see what she was doing she’d say, “Oh, just talking to grandma” or “grandpa”. Whether it’s true or not she did positively identify them from a picture of a family gathering.

Dave Lane
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I wonder why it's always the murder victims that hang around and haunt the area they were killed in. This baby has it particularly rough since his only real method of inspiring terror is to cry when stoners are near.

Funny thing is if they "stayed" where they died it would be trillions of miles from here, unless somehow they are gravitationally bond to the earth somehow.

LiveSteam
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Bugs house was haunted like a mother fucker the first couple years. But Bugs got pissed & screamed down dead Herold & his shit-e handyman work.
Herold had really gone handy man bananas on the house before he died. Couple things have happened in the house why I was there. Once at 4 am the lights that hang in the garage just magically lifted up off the hooks & came crashing down.

Huffmeister
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Funny thing is if they "stayed" where they died it would be trillions of miles from here, unless somehow they are gravitationally bond to the earth somehow.

That same logic occurred to me when I read The Time Machine in grade school. If something "travels through time, but not in space" then that would mean just time traveling a day would put you in the vacuum of space since the Earth has moved on in its orbit.

But that line of thinking implies that there must be some rigid, grid-like framework of space. And from what I understand of modern physics and cosmology (which I admit is very, very little), that's just not the case.

I guess it all depends on what your point of reference is. In other words, it's all relative.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-27-2011, 04:58 PM
There's a pediatric floor at our local hospital that is said to be haunted. A friend of a friend works there as a nurse and tells storys about the kids always talking about the ghost but none of them have really been scared of it.

I understand there's a "rec room" on that floor with a tv and games and such and some kids were in there a while back with a nurse telling her about the ghost visiting them from time to time. The nurse asked if they knew where the ghost was at the time and as a group (as I understand it) they said "it's standing behind you right now" so the nurse turned around and saw nothing and the group of kids got excited and said the ghost just walked out the door and they ran after it... then said nope it's gone once they were in the hallway outside the room.

Another time a young girl kept paging the nurses station to tell them the ghost wouldn't get out of her bed even though she kept asking nicely. The girl paged enough times that they finally moved her to a new room and the paging stopped and the girl said the ghost didn't come in the new room.

I don't know... make of it what you will.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Also my ex-wife and I were married in a museum that is said to be haunted by a housekeeper who died falling down a staircase. I've been on that staircase and it is creepy as hell... an enclosed staircase in the back of the building that has 3 turns in it... and they actually have it lit with red light bulbs lol... I thought that was a nice touch.

Anyway we got married in the big room on ground level that has a large, wide staircase going up from it (different staircase). At one point on the wedding video you can clearly hear footsteps on the stairs but there was definately no one walking them during the ceremony. We checked it against the still pictures too and there are some taken at the time of the sounds on the video that have the stairs in the shot... but of course no one is near the staircase.

Museum workers tell of hearing a vacuum cleaner running from time to time in one room but the sound will stop if you get close to the door. They've gone in several times when hearing it and never found anyone or a vacuum cleaner.

Chi chi chi... ah ah ah...

We thought our house may have been haunted by a "friendly" ghost of the previous owner but I'm too lazy to tell those storys right now. Nothing too big anyway.

DaFace
10-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Ghosts aren't real. [/thread]

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Second time you've ruined all the fun in the last couple weeks that I can remember. Shouldn't you just be sitting atop your mod throne looking down on the masses and banning people anyhow?

Fish
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I've always had an incredible interest in ghosts and the paranormal. But I've never been able to experience anything out of the norm that would make me think there was some intelligent presence there that couldn't be explained. I've toured many places that were said to be haunted. I've been out in graveyards in the middle of the night hoping to see something, anything. I've stayed in places where others have said to have seen something. But it's never happened. And it's made me cynical of others who claim to. But really I would love to have some sort of experience like that. I'd pay good money/beer to whoever could make it happen.

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I have experienced a ghost or an energy of some sort in my store. I see things and hear things every once in a while. A woman I work with there has also had some experiences with the same stuff.

Radar Chief
10-27-2011, 06:10 PM

I know, people like to think they have a fine bead on things.
But I have no explination for seeing a woman in my parents house that I'd never seen pictures of or even heard of before, that died when I was 2 years old and living in another town. Do you?

stevieray
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I aint afraid of no ghost

/ray parker jr

FURY
10-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I thought I'd give everyone my first and only somewhat physical encounter with a "ghost."

1998, I was 8 years old sitting alone in my living room on our computer. I was loading up a computer game, and when the screen goes black to load, you can see the doorway that leads into the kitchen in the screen, the reflection if you will. I'd like to add this was bright and early on a Sunday, 7:00 am. Anyways, my parents were sound asleep, as was my younger sister. So I'm just sitting there staring at the screen, when in the reflection I see this black figure go passed the doorway, and this thing was big. I mean the ceilings were 9 feet and this things head almost touched the doorway. I immediately ran upstairs and saw my parents asleep in their bed and my sister asleep in hers.

Can't explain it. Don't know what it was. Don't know if it was just my mind playing a trick or what. But it was a cool experience. Told my mom about it a few years after we moved into a new house and she told me "Really? I never told you guys this, but I sometimes out of the corner of my eye would see a black figure walk by the doorways too."

keg in kc
10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
I've always had an incredible interest in ghosts and the paranormal. But I've never been able to experience anything out of the norm that would make me think there was some intelligent presence there that couldn't be explained. I've toured many places that were said to be haunted. I've been out in graveyards in the middle of the night hoping to see something, anything. I've stayed in places where others have said to have seen something. But it's never happened. And it's made me cynical of others who claim to. But really I would love to have some sort of experience like that. I'd pay good money/beer to whoever could make it happen.I've always been big into paranormal stuff, as well, but for whatever reason never really had any interest/belief in ghosts. And it can't just be because of a lack of personal experience, because I'm fascinated by UFOs and cryptozoology, but have never witnessed anything there, either.