PDA

View Full Version : Football Dorial Green-Beckham sets national record

ChiefsOne
10-28-2011, 08:45 AM
As his unforgettable high school football career nears its end, Dorial Green-Beckham gave the Ozarks another night to remember on Thursday.

Green-Beckham broke the national career receiving yardage record in typical DGB fashion, taking a short second-quarter pass for a long touchdown while evading about half of the opposing defense.

"This is the top (moment of my career)," Green-Beckham said. "That's the first thing I thought after I caught that pass: 'This could be it right here.'

"I just did the best I could to get the ball in the end zone."

As it has been many times in his career, it was more than enough.

Green-Beckham's 81-yard scamper helped ignite the Hornets to a 35-7 victory over Republic to wrap up a Class 4 District 10 championship.

Hillcrest (9-1) will host a first-round playoff game on Wednesday against St. Clair (7-3). Republic (4-6) will play at high-powered Union (10-0) in the sectional's other matchup.

The wide receiver made the catch on a timing route from quarterback Matt Futrell, crossed the field and made five defenders miss. Green-Beckham crossed the goal line at 7:55 p.m., with 1:06 to play in the second half.

"At the start of the season, I thought I had a shot at the record," Green-Beckham said. "I made it. This is it."

Green-Beckham finished with 11 catches for 303 yards and four touchdowns. He has amassed 6,110 career yards.

Even the Republic crowd gave the wide receiver a standing ovation.

"Honestly, he's got so much pressure and so much expectations that I always think the expectations are too high -- they expect too much," said Hillcrest coach John Beckham, Dorial's adoptive father. "There's no way he's going to deliver on what everybody thinks he should do.

"Then he does it."

In the game, Green-Beckham also broke his own state single-season receiving yardage record, totaling 1,986. He now owns the three most-prolific seasons in Missouri's history.

"He's making plays that I never thought I'd see," said Futrell, who threw for 418 yards and went over 6,000 for his career. "He's just doing his thing out there."

Down 14-0, Republic got momentum before halftime on a 41-yard desperation heave by Nick Williams that went for a touchdown to receiver Beau Allen.

But Green-Beckham caught all four of Futrell's passes on the first drive of the third quarter, including a 36-yard score where the receiver tip-toed his feet down near the sideline.

It would have been a touchdown on Sunday -- and might be someday.

"Our hats are off to that young man," Republic coach Kurt Thompson said. "He's the player he is; we wish they wouldn't have had him and he was on our side."

Green-Beckham deflected questions about his collegiate future after the game from the assembled media.

He was presented the game ball afterward and posed with his adoptive parents, John and Tracy, along with younger brother, Darnell, who is battling leukemia.

"I've had a lot of people come into my life (over my high school career)," Dorial Green-Beckham said. "They're the ones encouraging me to be this type of player."

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20111028/SPORTS0101/110280360/DGB-stands-alone?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|Sports

bevischief
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
So what college is the kid going to play for?

talastan
10-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Keeps dodging the question. Rumor has it he is going to announce something during or after the US Army All-American Game. Great job Dorial!! AND GO HORNETS!!

Bob Dole
10-28-2011, 09:09 AM

He apparently has offers at 18 schools. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/116526/dorial-green-beckham

The Franchise
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM

These are his reported schools of interest.

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Mississippi, Missouri, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, USC

The Franchise
10-28-2011, 09:11 AM
One of his reports.

Has all of the athletic tools you look for in a wide receiver prospect. Most taller receivers are deep receivers, fade guys who can out body and out jump smaller defenders, etc, but what sets Green-Beckham apart is that he can not only do those things, but he can do things smaller receivers do as well. He is a very good open field runner who can take short passes and turn them into big plays. May be the best receiver to come out in years.

This fucker is 6'6"?!? JFC.

NewChief
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
These are his reported schools of interest.

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Mississippi, Missouri, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, USC

People on sports radio around here don't seem to think that we're a serious contender (though I have no idea why you wouldn't want to play for Petrino as a receiver unless you're afraid to compete for a spot).

bevischief
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
One of his reports.

This ****er is 6'6"?!? JFC.

Damn. Can't to see him play in College and the NFL.

eazyb81
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
His dad announced a top five of Mizzou, OU, Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas.

If I had to put money on it I think he's going to be a Hog, but the confidence each fanbase has changes almost daily because the kid rarely speaks publicly.

The Franchise
10-28-2011, 09:17 AM
He needs to come to ND. We need a WR like him after Floyd leaves.

seaofred
10-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Just a huntch, but I think he's going to Mizzou, wants to be close to his family. Especailly with his brother's condition.

talastan
10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Just a huntch, but I think he's going to Mizzou, wants to be close to his family. Especailly with his brother's condition.

Especially if the rumors of Mizzou to the SEC come to fruition

NewChief
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Fayetteville is closer than Columbia by about 30 minutes. Just sayin'. ;)

talastan
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
One of his reports.

This ****er is 6'6"?!? JFC.

Yes it is insane watching the kid play. A man among boys out there. Has all the tools of a big bodied receiver with at 4.4 40yd speed. Ran sprinting at State track competition level. Was center for the Hornets' State Championship B-Ball team. This kid is an outstanding athlete and will be one of the best IMO at the next levels.

ChiefsOne
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
His dad announced a top five of Mizzou, OU, Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas.

If I had to put money on it I think he's going to be a Hog, but the confidence each fanbase has changes almost daily because the kid rarely speaks publicly.

He was at kids house I know last week and he only mentioned Arkansas, OU, Auburn and Alabama. So who knows.

Iowanian
10-28-2011, 09:48 AM
He'll look pretty good in Hawkeye Black and Gold.

Skyy God
10-28-2011, 09:51 AM
He was at kids house I know last week and he only mentioned Arkansas, OU, Auburn and Alabama. So who knows.

Looks like he's SEC bound, which makes sense given their recent high draft picks at WR (AJ and Julio).

ChiefsOne
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Sounds like he really wants to play in the SEC. Makes sense, given that AJ and Julio just were drafted high.

That's the consensus. I know he visited a Arkansas game about a month ago and Mizzou the following weekend. From what the kids that are friends with him are saying is either OU or Arkansas. With Mizzou moving to the SEC, it might change a little, but doubt it.

NewChief
10-28-2011, 10:33 AM

He's been to Arkansas like 8 times (played a few high school games down here at Razorback stadium). He's, evidently, going to the Iron Bowl on an official visit. And yes, Oklahoma is favored for some odd reason.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-28-2011, 11:02 PM
:clap:

Congrats, DGB.