PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Give Romeo Crennel a raise right now!!!

PunkinDrublic
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm glad we got him running our defense and not some overhyped dickbag loudmouth like Rob Ryan. After giving Phyliss and the Charger offense chance after chance to score, our defense played really well under the circumstances.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Yep, they faced a TON of possessions, so holding them to 20 was no easy task. I could care less about all the yards they gave up.

boogblaster
10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
yea he called a great game .. rivers didnt have many options ....

rockymtnchief
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Consider this...one touchdown given up in the last two games. Not too shabby.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Consider this...one touchdown given up in the last two games. Not too shabby.Even better, 10 quarters

keg in kc
10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Watching the way they handled Gates tonight (Sportscenter highlighted it early in the show) was really interesting. He got his catches, but didn't kill us.

Either way, the whole game was the personification of bending but not breaking. It's not my favorite style of defense, but it's hard to argue against a win, and with what he has to work with at safety now, it's pretty inspired.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
First team since 2000 to win 4 after starting 0-3

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Watching the way they handled Gates tonight (Sportscenter highlighted it early in the show) was really interesting. He got his catches, but didn't kill us.

Either way, the whole game was the personification of bending but not breaking. It's not my favorite style of defense, but it's hard to argue against a win, and with what he has to work with at safety now, it's pretty inspired.This only works because we have 2 stud corners.

58kcfan89
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Speaking of giving up 20 points, I keep thinking about the San Diego TD where the RB reached the ball over the goal line... If Piscitelli can get there & knock it out a half-second after it goes over the GL, does Eric Berry not get in there, knock the ball out, paralyze the RB and score a TD all at the same time?

I guess what I'm saying is, I like this defense (even if the lack of pressure is maddening at times) and think it'll get a LOT better when we get EB29 back next year. Just hope Romeo sticks around for a long time, cause he clearly knows how to coach.

Frankie
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I would not have called an all out blitz on 3rd and 18 at that point of the game. It left our D backfield very naked.

That said, I am still a Romeo fan.

Fish
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
I didn't think the defense did all that great, considering.

I mean, the Chargers still had 450 fucking yards. Phillip bitch Rivers had 370.

We won this game, but we totally shouldn't have....

Nightfyre
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Consider this...one touchdown given up in the last two games. Not too shabby.

Consider this: The defense has scored more touchdowns in the last two games than the division opponents we played.

mnchiefsguy
Defense did well...if I had one complaint...it was 3rd and long. SD consistently had 3rd and 11, 12, 18, etc., and they converted 1st downs too often. Fortunately, we finally stopped them on 3rd and 18 in the overtime. Overall though, they kept SD out of the endzone for three quarters, and kept a high octane offense to 20 points.

BigMeatballDave

We won this game, but we totally shouldn't have....Bend but dont break. Yards dont count as points. This is how you play Rivers

SPchief
11-01-2011, 12:01 AM
This only works because we have 2 stud corners.

Imagine if we had our stud saftey

Dr. Gigglepants
11-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Not because of our Defense.

We had 8 drives that were 3 and outs or turnovers. They had 9 drives that got inside our 35 yardline and we gave up 4 field goals and 1 TD.

We should have won this game by 2 or 3 touchdowns if we kept playing like we started. But we got a lead and our assholes puckered up like always.

Titty Meat
11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
No thank you his 3 man rushes were stupid.

lcarus
11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I would not have called an all out blitz on 3rd and 18 at that point of the game. It left our D backfield very naked.

Definitely left me scratching my head as well. Could have easily cost us the game.

wazu
11-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Loved the abuse that Gates was getting. Romeo leans on his talent on the outside and just dares the Chargers to beat us with stellar plays and make no mistakes. Great gameplan.

Frankie
11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Not because of our Defense.

We had 8 drives that were 3 and outs or turnovers. They had 9 drives that got inside our 35 yardline and we gave up 4 field goals and 1 TD.

We should have won this game by 2 or 3 touchdowns if we kept playing like we started. But we got a lead and our assholes puckered up like always.

OR,... the Chargers adjusted.

Fish
11-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Bend but dont break. Yards dont count as points. This is how you play Rivers

I don't know. I watched it drunk and live so I might be off on my assessment. But the way we played, if it would have varied by any little bitty degree, we would have lost. To me, it looked more like "Bend like a bamboo champion till almost breaking and holy shit a lucky turnover".

KurtCobain
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Best make it rain on that G.

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 12:16 AM
No thank you his 3 man rushes were stupid.They worked, now didnt they?

Titty Meat
11-01-2011, 12:17 AM
They worked, now didnt they?

Not really we should have lost the game and the defense played alot of snap. They allowed Rivers to get into a zone where if he's pressured he shits the bed.

Psyko Tek
11-01-2011, 01:17 AM

didn\t we have more points?
no points are given for style
or potential

suck a flaming aids tree

WE FUCKING WON

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Not really we should have lost the game and the defense played alot of snap. They allowed Rivers to get into a zone where if he's pressured he shits the bed.Yeah, you're drunk... :LOL:

Chief3188
11-01-2011, 01:23 AM

With all due respect I think Kendrick Lewis in his 2nd season is quietly becoming a silent stud in our backfield along with the Brandons. I just wish he had this season to develop chemistry with Berry the way Flowers and Carr have been able to.

Chief3188
11-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Definitely left me scratching my head as well. Could have easily cost us the game.

So could have a couple of the bullshit calls that went the Chargers way but they didn't and that is the point here.

In my opinion the Chiefs faced a team with superior talent and the officials in this game and came out on top. But it didn't hurt having the fans out tonight either so.....

PurplePantsPuncher
11-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Crennel is a total babe and sweetheart.
Perhaps not the best defensive coordinator in the league he is decent for playing second fiddle for an offensive minded head coach.

And after what happened in Cleveland I don't think he will be too high on anyone's head coaching list for a while. Long term security win.

dannybcaitlyn
11-01-2011, 05:29 AM

I don't know. The last 3rd and 18 before that one he called a full prevent with 3 this rushing and Rivers had all day to throw and he converted then. I lot of people were saying Wtf then. Surely the chiefs need to work on there blitz pkgs though.

bricks
11-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Have to admit, Flowers, Carr, Hali, and DJ are the ones carrying this team right now.

All of them were outstanding last night.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Vincent Jackson had 63 yards against us in the first game and 49 last night.

And 0 TDs.

bevischief
11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Vincent Jackson had 63 yards against us in the first game and 49 last night.

And 0 TDs.

yes

the Talking Can
11-01-2011, 06:27 AM
better LB duo in the league than DJ and Hali?

Direckshun
11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm telling you right now, he's a Super Bowl defensive coordinator.

Retain him for as long as we can. He can be our Dick LeBeau for all I care.

BoneKrusher
11-01-2011, 07:27 AM

yep and add another awesome pass rusher to go with Hali and we're there.

Nickel D
11-01-2011, 07:36 AM
OR,... the Chargers adjusted.

AND,...the Chiefs should have adjusted as well.

BUT,...the Chiefs didn't.

BECAUSE,...the Chiefs puckered.

petegz28
11-01-2011, 07:39 AM
They never should have had 20, even. back-Back plays on their game tying drive there was blatant, and I mean, HTF do you miss it(?) type blatant holds.

Whenever a QB squirts away to stand by the sideline for 5 seconds without a defender around you can bet your money there was some holding.

bsp4444
11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know. The last 3rd and 18 before that one he called a full prevent with 3 this rushing and Rivers had all day to throw and he converted then. I lot of people were saying Wtf then. Surely the chiefs need to work on there blitz pkgs though.

Seems like last year, Romeo wasn't afraid to send Berry on blitzes. He's limited this year, but just imagine next year with Berry back in the fold. This defense can be scary.

Chiefnj2
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
They need someone to step up and be able to rush the passer other than Hali. Houston or Sheffield need to sack up.

11-01-2011, 09:02 AM
the D was outstanding. Just amazing!!!!

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Did I actually hear Gruden criticize Dorsey and Jackson for being 1st rounders that were not good pass rushers?

Frankie
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
yep and add another awesome pass rusher to go with Hali and we're there.

I thought Houston was supposed to be that.

Frankie
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Did I actually hear Gruden criticize Dorsey and Jackson for being 1st rounders that were not good pass rushers?

Yes he did.

TheSourceX1
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I think losing Berry really hurt Romeo early. His schemes look to really help out the safeties but letting both Brandon's play man coverage is awesome. Aside from DJ & Hali the other LB's really need to step it up. Houston had good coverage on the wheel route but never looked for the ball. Andy needs to pressure the passer like he showed last year and Belcher needs to make more plays in the backfield.

whoman69
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Bend don't break coordinators like Crennel are effective but they give you a heart attack. Give me Dick LeBeau any day.

The Bad Guy
11-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Anyone complaining about a Crennel defense today should fuck off.

If the offense did anything in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, that would have been a landslide. He had a great game plan for Rivers.

Ming the Merciless
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Anyone complaining about a Crennel defense today should **** off.

If the offense did anything in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, that would have been a landslide. He had a great game plan for Rivers.

Well...(not complaining as a whole, but some specific complaints)

We werent able to stop them on the drive they killed the clock and were about to win until they handed us the ball...

They racked up the yards on us...(400 passing yards i believe)

Balls are bouncing our way for the moment but personally I think we need to see much more pressure on the QB from other sources than Hali..

What are we 31st in sacks in the league?

I mean there's always things to complain about.....I guess I am just a complainer...I like the defense as a whole and it could be AMAZING if we just had some more pressure and Berry back.

chiefs1111
11-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Gates as well

OnTheWarpath15
11-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Sometimes his bend but don't break philosophy works, sometimes it doesn't.

While it worked last night, I'm not a huge fan of it. This is a passing league, and you better damn well get a fuckton of pressure on the QB, or this philosophy will bury you against elite teams.

Also, IMO, you can't expect to go deep in the playoffs with this philosophy unless you have an elite offense. Which we don't.

I'll be curious to see how everyone feels after the GB and NE games.

KC Dan
11-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I think they are doing a fine job preventing td's lately but against a good QB and a well-balanced offense like the Steelers, Pats, Packers and Jets, the lack of a strong pass rush from more than Hali is going to spell doom. They will pass all over us all night.

The Bad Guy
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Sometimes his bend but don't break philosophy works, sometimes it doesn't.

While it worked last night, I'm not a huge fan of it. This is a passing league, and you better damn well get a ****ton of pressure on the QB, or this philosophy will bury you against elite teams.

Also, IMO, you can't expect to go deep in the playoffs with this philosophy unless you have an elite offense. Which we don't.

I'll be curious to see how everyone feels after the GB and NE games.

I'm a huge fan of exploiting weaknesses. Crennel is never going to be blitz happy. I'm fine with that. He brings pressure when he needs to.

That defense was on the field for an eternity and they held the Chargers, a team that has a pretty dynamic passing game, to 20 points and one offensive touchdown.

I like from week to week, he's tailoring game plans and trying to make the other team uncomfortable.

I think he's a damn good coordinator and they should keep him around as long as he'll stay.

The Bad Guy
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I think they are doing a fine job preventing td's lately but against a good QB and a well-balanced offense like the Steelers, Pats, Packers and Jets, the lack of a strong pass rush from more than Hali is going to spell doom. They will pass all over us all night.

The Jets? Yeah, I'm terrified of that offense.

Sanchez is a QB that Crenell eats for lunch.

DTLB58
11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Defense did well...if I had one complaint...it was 3rd and long. SD consistently had 3rd and 11, 12, 18, etc., and they converted 1st downs too often. Fortunately, we finally stopped them on 3rd and 18 in the overtime. Overall though, they kept SD out of the endzone for three quarters, and kept a high octane offense to 20 points.

Yep. I think they said last night on Countdown the Chargers the last several years have 5 games of 30+ points each year but not this season yet and that's 2 games against the Chiefs D held to 20 each time without who everyone called our best D player out and all the media could talk about was how the Chargers were gonna dominate the West again this year. :rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15
11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

The Jets are probably a poor example at this point - though they seem to be a lot like us, offensively, very "Jeckyl and Hyde" - but your overall point is spot on, IMO.

KC Dan
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
The Jets are probably a poor example at this point - though they seem to be a lot like us, offensively, very "Jeckyl and Hyde" - but your overall point is spot on, IMO.yeah, the Jets example was taking it to far but after the Pats and the Steelers, the D may feel like they have been raped repeatedly....

milkman
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Crennel does a good job oif scheming against specific players, but on the whole, he allows offenses too much time on the field, which wears down yor defense.

In this league, you can not win a championship unless you can get pressure on the QB and force him into some bad throws.

On the outside we have the two Brandons, one of the top CB duos in the league.

With those guys to man up on the outside, Crennel should be able to dial some effective combination man/zone blitz packages.

A DC like LeBeau or Wade Phillips would probably have this defense in the top 10.

I am not a fan of Romeo Crennel's bend but don't break defense.

Against superior offensive teams that are clicking, they are going to break.

OnTheWarpath15
11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I think Crennel does a good job oif scheming against specific players, but on the whole, he allows offenses too much time on the field, which wears down yor defense.

In this league, you can not win a championship unless you can get pressure on the QB and force him into some bad throws.

With those guys to man up on the outside, Crennel should be able to dial some effective combination man/zone blitz packages.

A DC like LeBeau or Wade Phillips would probably have this defense in the top 10.

Couldn't agree more.

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I like Crennel, but why does it seem he never sends a safety on a blitz out of a Nickel package? He did it last season with Berry.

milkman
11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I like Crennel, but why does it seem he never sends a safety on a blitz out of a Nickel package? He did it last season with Berry.

Because, other than Lewis, there isn't a safety that you can ask to blitz and expect positive results.

And you can't ask Lewis to do it, because he is, right now, the best we have in deep cover.

Deberg_1990
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM

I agree with your philosophy, but i think hes playing to the team strengths for now. I really dont see alot of guys on this D with the speed and talent to rush the QB. It seems like when we blitz we get burned more often than not because our guys cant get to the QB fast enough.

Chiefnj2
11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

McGraw and Sabby were sent on blitzes Monday night. They just arrived in the backfield.

chasedude
11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
He keep Gates double teamed nearly all day. Taking out River's go to guy made a big difference.

O.city
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Tend to agree with Milkman. The way to beat the Pats and Packers of the league is to relentlessly rush the passer. That's how Pitt beat the Pats Sunday. Bring pressure and if he beats you then he beats you. Can't sit back and wait for them to make mistakes.

The Franchise
11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
The Steelers just showed the league how to beat the Patriots.

Unfortunately we don't have the offense for that.

O.city
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Explain?

Frosty
11-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Not a safety, but he does send Arenas sometimes.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I just wish he could include a decent blitz package into his scheme.

He is full blown bend but don't break and count on Hali.

The Franchise
11-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Explain?

Their offense kept Tom Brady off of the field and their defense brought a ton of pressure. We do neither of those things.

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Maybe, but NE D kinda sucks. This O plays good vs poor defenses.

I'm not saying we will beat NE, but we're capable.

The Franchise
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Maybe, but NE D kinda sucks. This O plays good vs poor defenses.

I'm not saying we will beat NE, but we're capable.

Their defense sucks....yes. But the point isn't to score as quick as possible. You want to kill the clock and keep Brady off of the field.

milkman
11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Their offense kept Tom Brady off of the field and their defense brought a ton of pressure. We do neither of those things.

The only thing the Steelers did differently on defense is go pressure man on the wide receivers, with cover 1 deep.

They controlled the clock on offense with the short passing game.

That is a formula that the Chiefs should be able to match.

The problem, however, is that the Patriots will be able to adjust scheme to that by the time Chiefs play them.

O.city
11-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm just not big on the Pats. They have Brady and Welker. We actually have a pretty damn good secondary. Even without Berry it's solid.

That said I don't think we can beat them in NE, but overall for the Pats I think Belicheck has outsmarted himself to many times concerning the draft and it is really coming back to bite him in the ass right now. All those corners he has drafted and defensive players are shit.

Backwards Masking
11-02-2011, 05:09 PM
A friend of mine refers to Crennel as the "Honey Badger". Not sure if I think it's funny, stupid or racist....

Psyko Tek
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
yea he called a great game .. rivers didnt have many options ....

HE didn't make him cry
that would be a overwhelming success

while the game he coached and the played was just a whelming success

Nightfyre
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine refers to Crennel as the "Honey Badger". Not sure if I think it's funny, stupid or racist....

Honey badger don't give a shit. He just wakes up and starts eating again.

milkman
11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm just not big on the Pats. They have Brady and Welker. We actually have a pretty damn good secondary. Even without Berry it's solid.

That said I don't think we can beat them in NE, but overall for the Pats I think Belicheck has outsmarted himself to many times concerning the draft and it is really coming back to bite him in the ass right now. All those corners he has drafted and defensive players are shit.

Defense in today's NFL isn't about making stops.
It's about making plays.

At the end of the day, you need playmakers on defense, and he just isn't getting those guys with all these mid round picks.

Easy 6
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
As far as his perceived failure to bring the blitz, i think that if he had another strong pass rusher besides Hali, he'd surely take advantage of that guy... maybe not as often as some wish, but if he had the talent, he'd use it.

Hopefully Sheffield or Houston wake up & if they do, he'll surely exploit that, his overall philosophy may be bend dont break, but he wouldnt let bona-fide pr stud languish.

He's hamstrung by personnel right now.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2011, 08:00 PM
As far as his perceived failure to bring the blitz, i think that if he had another strong pass rusher besides Hali, he'd surely take advantage of that guy... maybe not as often as some wish, but if he had the talent, he'd use it.

Hopefully Sheffield or Houston wake up & if they do, he'll surely exploit that, his overall philosophy may be bend dont break, but he wouldnt let bona-fide pr stud languish.

He's hamstrung by personnel right now.
Perceived? we blitzed less than any other team in the NFL last year.

rushing the passer is what Houston is supposed to be good at

Easy 6
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Perceived? we blitzed less than any other team in the NFL last year.

rushing the passer is what Houston is supposed to be good at

He didnt have anyone besides Hali in the front seven last year that could get there consistently, same as this year.

I guess you could throw in DJ, he seemingly has everything needed to do it, but he hasnt been a sack machine for any coach.

Cant believe neither Sheffield or Houston has caught fire yet, based on flashes from the preseason i thought atleast one of them would.

Frankie
11-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Hopefully Sheffield or Houston wake up & if they do, he'll surely exploit that, ....

Cant believe neither Sheffield or Houston has caught fire yet, based on flashes from the preseason i thought atleast one of them would.

I get this uneasy feeling, more and more, that Sheffield is nothing but a perennial "preaseason" wonder.

Deberg_1990
11-02-2011, 09:27 PM
heh, i cant believe any of you guys trust what you see in a preseason game. ROFL

Easy 6
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I get this uneasy feeling, more and more, that Sheffield is nothing but a perennial "preaseason" wonder.

I'm getting the same feeling about both him & Houston, pass rush studs can usually atleast give you good early returns on that aspect of their game, just like rb's, if they can they can & you'll see it quickly.

Its also always easy for me to wonder if guys coming off serious neck injuries are really going full tilt.

milkman
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
heh, i cant believe any of you guys trust what you see in a preseason game. ROFL

You can take a lot from a preseason game if you don't think it's more than it is.

Houston has huge potential as a pass rusher because of his combination of size and speed.

He has some things to learn, but if he can learn some of the things that Hali has learned to do with his hands and his body lean and flipping his hips, he's going be a beast.

I watched Amon Gordon during preseason and came away impressed, knowing that he was going to help this team.

-King-
11-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Do you think Crennel gives a shit?
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan
11-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Do you think Crennel gives a shit?
Posted via Mobile Device

He would just say "Oh well I don't care. I am just getting ready for MIA and what they bring, and just letting Todd lead the way. I do like honey though."

Caseyguyrr
11-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Bend but dont break. Yards dont count as points. This is how you play Rivers

stats dont mean dick

Frankie
11-04-2011, 08:02 AM
stats dont mean dick

Agreed. But Bend/Don't Break is not my favorite flavor of D. It makes my heart keep beating higher than it should.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
How about we just give him another safety and call it good.

Extra Point
11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
McGraw and Sabby were sent on blitzes Monday night. They just arrived in the backfield.

LMAO!