PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Instant Replay Fiasco

baitism
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I fail to see how someone could miss both of those calls. Is there seriously one person making the decision? Or is there 2 or 3? I was floored by the McCluster fumble and the second one was pretty bad too.

One thing that bugged me is that neither the announcers or refs offered an explanation on how a ball could travel 10 yards forward without Cassel's arm moving forward. Neither the ball or Cassel's arm was hit forward by the Chargers player.

I seriously wanted to punch things after the second one was ruled a fumble (overturned, no less).

tk13
10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
McCluster one was unacceptable. Refs are only human. Lots of bad calls tonight, both sides, but most of them were heat of the moment things. It can happen. You just have to overcome it. The McCluster one they actually had a chance to review and the evidence was right there though. I don't know how that happens. That's why you have replay in the first place.

notorious
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't let that bullshit ruin the night.

Ming the Merciless
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I absolutely agree...and no its not cuz I am homer / home team....There were some terrible ass calls and non calls all night, and the majority of them seemed to favor the SD although there were 1-2 for Chiefs.

The instant replays were abyssmal though.

baitism
10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Don't let that bullshit ruin the night.

It isn't. I am just asking the question. Because having one person making the decision from the booth seems like a really bad idea. Both were reviewed. The second one, meh. But the first was completely unacceptable.

Ming the Merciless
10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
It isn't. I am just asking the question. Because having one person making the decision from the booth seems like a really bad idea.

its fuckign awful.. you are 100% correct i m o

KcMizzou
10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
McCluster one was unacceptable. Refs are only human. Lots of bad calls tonight, both sides, but most of them were heat of the moment things. It can happen. You just have to overcome it. The McCluster one they actually had a chance to review and the evidence was right there though. I don't know how that happens. That's why you have replay in the first place.Yeah, that one blew my mind.

Thanks to Rivers for making it all work out OK, though.

luv
10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
There were also a few really close first downs I couldn't believe they didn't measure.

notorious
10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
It isn't. I am just asking the question. Because having one person making the decision from the booth seems like a really bad idea. Both were reviewed. The second one, meh. But the first was completely unacceptable.

Oh, trust me, I could have melted steel with my face on both calls.

I just don't have the energy to be mad anymore. :D

keg in kc
10-31-2011, 11:26 PM
I thought the OPI on Gates was a pretty horrible call, too. It was not a good night for the zebras.

RINGLEADER
10-31-2011, 11:27 PM
I thought the OPI on Gates was a pretty horrible call, too. It was not a good night for the zebras.

Agreed.

Bugeater
10-31-2011, 11:28 PM
As far as I'm concerned they can shitcan the whole review system. It completely breaks up the flow of the game and over the course of the season it fucks you as much as it saves you. It was a good idea in theory.

Basileus777
10-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Alberto Riveron and his crew are the worst in the league. They are consistently awful.

baitism
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM

To quote my older brother yelling at an umpire at a slow pitch softball tournament (Yeah, I know. Softball guy and all that). "If you didn't completely blow so many calls, you wouldn't have to catch hell over make up calls!" I am sure he had many curse words in there I left out.

Pretty sure the OPI was a make up call.

aturnis
10-31-2011, 11:36 PM
The thing that PISSED me off about the Matt Cassel fumble, is that up until this point, in countless games I've watched, the ONLY thing the refs and announcers have cared about, is: IS HIS ARM MOVING FORWARD?!

The answer...**** YES HIS ARM WAS MOVING FORWARD! You could obviously see it start to move forward, not to mention as has already been pointed out, the ball went forward almost ten ****ing yards.

**** GRUDEN! He had a hard on for seeing things go against the Chiefs tonight. Also, the push off by Gates was a lot worse than it looked. If McGraw hadn't grabbed Gates's arm and pulled himself back towards Gates, he would have been pushed at least a yard away.

ISUJeff
10-31-2011, 11:36 PM
McCluster one was unacceptable.

Agree completely from a replay point of view, but as an engineer the Cassell "fumble" pissed me off more.

How does the ball does not have to obey physics. It can gain forward momentum without any other force (the arm) moving forward??? Seriously???

All the announcers are only focusing on what the "eye" can see, saying they didn't "see" his arm move forward. Use some broader knowledge. The ball doesn't move forward on its own. Idiots. I fear for our future.

aturnis
10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Agree completely from a replay point of view, but as an engineer the Cassell "fumble" pissed me off more.

How does the ball does not have to obey physics. It can gain forward momentum without any other force (the arm) moving forward??? Seriously???

All the announcers are only focusing on what the "eye" can see, saying they didn't "see" his arm move forward. Use some broader knowledge. The ball doesn't move forward on its own. Idiots. I fear for our future.

Me too, but mostly b/c Monsanto is so prevalent in educational systems such as ISU.

keg in kc
10-31-2011, 11:43 PM
You know, I may have just changed my mind. I saw the Gates play on Sportscenter again a few seconds ago, for probably the 6th or 7th time tonight, and he actually did push off. I'm not sure why I didn't see it before.

I'm also not sure why they decided to call it there. Maybe it's the Tony Gonzalez rule and it only goes against TEs.

Ming the Merciless
10-31-2011, 11:44 PM
The answer...**** YES HIS ARM WAS MOVING FORWARD! You could obviously see it start to move forward, not to mention as has already been pointed out, the ball went forward almost ten ****ing yards.

You are 100000% right

This is exactly what I thought.....1) his hand moved forward , it had started to...it seemd crystal clear to me his hand was MOVING FORAWRD (it had moved about maybe an inch forward before the hit)...

2) THE BALL Moved forward (like you pointed out) so CLEARLY his hand HAD to be moving forward...I mean its pretty basic physics...

There were several calls that made me question the integrity of thiscrew, this being one of them.

aturnis
10-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Did you see McGraw grab and hang onto Gates to prevent himself from being pushed any further away?

notorious
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
At full speed it looked like an obvious push-off.

aturnis
10-31-2011, 11:48 PM
This is exactly what I thought.....1) his hand moved forward , it had started to...

2) THE BALL Moved forward (like you pointed out) so CLEARLY his hand HAD to be moving forward...

There were several calls that made me question the integrity of thiscrew, this being one of them.

The McCluster fumble was TERRIBLE though. Just BAD!

ISUJeff
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Me too, but mostly b/c Monsanto is so prevalent in educational systems such as ISU.

Did your high school equivalency cover Newton's 1st Law?

ISUJeff
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Sorry, back to the focus of the thread. As mentioned before, I'm just used to offensive PI only being called on Tony G, but full speed can see where the call came from. Either way, a break for us.

wazu
11-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Both replay calls that went against the Chiefs were absurd. The push-off call was a reach, but it followed the absurd Cassel non-fumble, so it was nothing but justice.

aturnis
11-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Did your high school equivalency cover Newton's 1st Law?

How many ISU freshmen does it take to change a tire?

Trick question; it's a sophomore course.

ISUJeff
11-01-2011, 12:38 AM
How many ISU freshmen does it take to change a tire?

Trick question; it's a sophomore course.

Do you really want to get into this? Your pizza delivery shift has to be about over.

And the rest of the people on this thread just want to talk about the horrible replay officials.

On that point, their horrible work is almost making me agree with Gruden for once, if they are gonna keep making horrible replay decisions, just get rid of replay completely. Live with the on field decisions. If they screw it up either way, I'll take the faster option . . .