PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This is the kind of treatment we'll keep getting in the national media

PunkinDrublic
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
November 1, 2011

Check out photos from the Chargers' game against the Chiefs.

(Denny Medley/US Presswire)

KANSAS CITY – There is something wrong with Philip Rivers.

It could be seen from his San Diego Chargers' opening drive in their bumbling 23-20 overtime loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday night, when he overthrew by three yards a deep ball to his open wide receiver Malcolm Floyd on the game's third play.

It could be seen in the next drive, when he was looking for his favorite target, the massive tight end Antonio Gates, and somehow overthrew him, too — only this time, Chiefs safety Kendrick Lewis was lurking and intercepted the pass.

It could be seen throughout the Monday Night Football game at Arrowhead Stadium, as Rivers' balls wobbled and sailed, as he increased his league-high giveaway total to 14 with two interceptions and a lost fumble, as he piled up the yards through short crossing passes and check-downs but missed on the majority of his downfield passes.

And it could be seen, most of all, in the crowning play of this Keystone Kops game, when all the Chargers had to do was leak down the clock and kick a chip-shot field goal to win. And what did Rivers do? He cost his team the win by forgetting that you're supposed to take the ball from your center with open hands instead of closed fists. Because closed fists mean fumbled snaps, and fumbled snaps mean you won't eke out that come-from-behind road victory against an extraordinarily mediocre Chiefs team, and losses to the Chiefs mean your fans are wondering what in the world is going on.

No, what is wrong with Philip Rivers isn't simply that he decided to dress as Tony Romo for this Halloween matchup against his AFC West rival.

What's wrong with Philip Rivers is that he might not have been wearing a costume at all, and that he's been tricking us all along. He's actually become Tony Romo.

Think about it: Coming into this season, the highly talented Rivers was a popular preseason pick to be MVP, and the Chargers were being talked about as Super Bowl contenders. In 2010 he was second in the league in quarterback rating, his 101.8 trailing only the indomitable Tom Brady. He led the league in passing yards and was fifth in touchdowns, his 30 passing touchdowns that much more impressive when put next to his mere 13 interceptions.

And 2009 was similarly impressive, his 104.4 passer rating good for third in the NFL, his 28 touchdowns tied with Brady for sixth, his nine interceptions one of the lowest among starting quarterbacks. Ditto for 2008, when he led the league in quarterback rating and passing touchdowns, and threw only 11 interceptions to his 34 touchdowns.

But this year, when the pressure's been on to reach his full potential as an elite NFL quarterback, Rivers has been a study in regression, angering Chargers fans — who wonder aloud whether he's hiding an injury, if only because that would be an explanation — as well as fantasy football owners, who curse taking him in the first round.

Rivers' quarterback rating is down to 82.3, 19th in the league — compared to his career average of 95.9. He's thrown for seven touchdowns, tied with Josh Freeman for 23rd in the league. His 11 interceptions lead the league.

The division game on the big Monday night stage was especially Romo-esque. On the surface, his statistics showed a decent game: 26 for 41 for 369 yards, his second-best total of the season.

Yet over and over, he overthrew receivers on deep balls. Or he threw ever-so-slightly behind them on mid-field crossing routes. Or he didn't capitalize on a nonexistent Chiefs pass rush. Or his team took a silly penalty to hurt any progress he made; the Chargers had 12 penalties for 105 yards. Rivers' only touchdown pass was called back on an offensive pass-interference call on Gates.

And then, of course, there was that inexplicable (and very Romo-esque) play where, as Chiefs fans were filing out of Arrowhead Stadium, Rivers fumbled the snap and gave the Chiefs the ball, and new life, and eventually the victory.

"Philip got a little anxious and came out early," head coach Norv Turner explained.

"Six years we haven't had one on the ground from underneath," center Nick Hardwick said of the fumbled snap.

"This one's rough," Rivers said. "When you know you're a minute away from just leaking the clock and kicking a field goal to end it. After you fall back and you blow it on a play. Something that never happens, that shouldn't ever happen."

The fumbled snap was a jewel in this game's Keystone Kop crown, when an explosion of fireworks in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot went off just as the Chargers were about to snap the ball. (Rivers said he didn't notice the fireworks; his center said he did.) Between the two groups of 11 men who dressed as football teams on this Halloween night, there were four lost fumbles, four interceptions and 21 penalties in regulation.

Make no mistake about it: The Chiefs did not win this game. In fact, they seemed to be trying rather hard not to. Instead, it was the Chargers who lost it. As has been the theme all year, the Chargers didn't finish when they were in the red zone, coming away with four field goals and one missed field goal until they finally scored their first touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Despite their 4-3 record that has them bunched with the Chargers and Oakland Raiders for first place in the AFC West, the Chiefs are not a good football team. Their four-game winning streak started in a squeaker against the underachieving Minnesota Vikings and included wins against the hapless Indianapolis Colts and a Raiders team thrown into quarterback disarray. Head coach Todd Haley continued his inexplicable play-calling with an odd mix of runs, then passes at the end of the first half. The replacements for injured running back Jamaal Charles and injured tight end Tony Moeaki have played like replacements, and Matt Cassel has played like Matt Cassel. Beat the Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos in the next two weeks and media will be gushing over their six-game winning streak. But it will all be a mirage that will be exposed during their brutal late-season schedule.

On Monday night, Rivers showed enough flashes of his old brilliance to remind us why he was considered an elite quarterback not long ago, and could be considered one again. A few of his longer passes were crisp and on the mark, though not many. On the Chargers' lone touchdown drive, he twice escaped pressure and made clutch passes for first down, and he lofted one beautiful pass to running back Curtis Brinkley, catching him in stride down the sideline and setting up the tying touchdown.

Yet in this game, as throughout the first seven games of this year — including last week's stinker of a loss at the New York Jets, one of the worst games of Rivers' career — Rivers has seemed like a stud starting pitcher in baseball who has suddenly lost his stuff, and people are grasping at straws to figure it out.

"He came off and said the ball's sailing on me," Turner said. "He had one to Vincent, a couple to Gates that got away from him. It's not mechanics. Like I said, the ball got away from him a couple times."

There's even more trouble on the horizon: The undefeated defending champion Green Bay Packers are coming to San Diego next week. Maybe Rivers can shed this Tony Romo costume and turn into Aaron Rodgers. Maybe Rivers can remind us why, not long ago, it made total sense to include him in a discussion as the best quarterback in the game.

And maybe the Chargers' locker room after next weekend's game won't be a somber, shell-shocked place, where Rivers, the team's leader, doesn't have to face the media and give forlorn answers like this to why he and his team fell short of expectations:

"I missed a few throws. Obviously there's throws you want back. But none of that being changed … if I handled the snap, all that doesn't matter."

Unfortunately, until he proves otherwise, that snap will be the one we remember, and the play the perfectly represents Rivers' season.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Make no mistake about it: The Chiefs did not win this game. In fact, they seemed to be trying rather hard not to. Instead, it was the Chargers who lost it.

DIAL UP THE OVERTIME, ASSHOLES, AND WATCH THE CHIEFS WIN IT

ILChief
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Doug Gottleib kept saying today how the Chargers dominated the game. That's the first time a team has dominated a game yet never led

chefsos
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
DIAL UP THE OVERTIME, ASSHOLES, AND WATCH THE CHIEFS WIN ITSee, this is what I don't understand about the coverage of this game. For anyone who's just been given the "highlights", it's as if the fumbled snap was immediately followed by the Succop FG, and that was that. SD had their chance, first, to go and win the game in OT. They didn't, and the Chiefs did.

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
LMAO The national sports media hates the Chiefs.

Fuck em

Molitoth
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
This is the kind of treatment we'll keep getting in the national media

Not very good treatment. =(

bevischief
Bendover bobs...

Hammock Parties
We need to beat the Patriots and give the league a big fuck you.

PunkinDrublic
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Tamba dominated the guy blocking him all night and caused a key Rivers fumble in OT, but the pass rush was non existant.

PunkinDrublic
11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Do you think the Cowgirls get that kind of column from a national sportswriter if they win four straight after starting 0-3?

MahiMike
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like somebody was an idiot and took Rivers in the (cough, cough) 1st round!

Phobia
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
The Chiefs haven't won a meaningful game in nearly 2 decades. Do you expect them to be media darlings because they've won 4 in a row against some of the most awful teams in the NFL? The author isn't really too far off.

OnTheWarpath15
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Do you think the Cowgirls get that kind of column from a national sportswriter if they win four straight after starting 0-3?

If their 4th win was against the Eagles or Giants, who hadn't been playing to expectations all year and then pissed away a chance at a game-winning chip shot FG, then yep.

Stories after games like this are almost always focused on the team that blundered.

Personally, I don't get why anyone gives a shit what the media says about the Chiefs. Their opinion means nothing, and changes nothing.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM

No. I stoppped caring about what the national Media think a long time ago. They dont know the team half as well as most of us on here.

The Chiefs dont play in a major media market, havent won squat in 40 years and are not a flagship team. It is what it is. It just doesnt matter.

SPATCH
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, we're terrible. Time to start mailing it in

PunkinDrublic
11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
The Chiefs haven't won a meaningful game in nearly 2 decades. Do you expect them to be media darlings because they've won 4 in a row against some of the most awful teams in the NFL? The author isn't really too far off.

I realize that but he's full of shit in his description of the game. This column is from someone who more than likely didn't watch the game and only saw the highlights. We have beaten weaker teams in 4 games but don't misrepresent what the Chiefs did last night in a weak attempt to trash the team.

SPchief
11-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Meh, who cares. Fuck the attention and just keep going out and winning.

Fritz88
11-01-2011, 08:50 PM
He's mostly right. We are a slightly above average team.

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Reading this, I mostly hear WHAAA

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
He's mostly right. We are a slightly above average team.

Gee, thanks. Captain Obvious...

Okie_Apparition
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
& the Charger's wins are so clutch

I kinda hope the fireworks game ranks up there with the snowplow game :)

kcxiv
11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Gee, thanks. Captain Obvious...

haha, no shit.

SPATCH
11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I love this shit though. We play much better when we've got all these doubting ass mother fuckers talking noise.

stonedstooge
11-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Chargers run the ball up and down the field on everyone. The only problem is they can't score touchdowns. Just like the Cowgirls

Phobia
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I realize that but he's full of shit in his description of the game. This column is from someone who more than likely didn't watch the game and only saw the highlights. We have beaten weaker teams in 4 games but don't misrepresent what the Chiefs did last night in a weak attempt to trash the team.

He missed some pro-Chiefs stuff and forgot to hit on some anti-Chiefs points. Obviously didn't watch the whole yawnfest. The only people I've heard call it a "great game" were people who attended.

TimeForWasp
11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
He missed some pro-Chiefs stuff and forgot to hit on some anti-Chiefs points. Obviously didn't watch the whole yawnfest. The only people I've heard call it a "great game" were people who attended.

I was on the edge of my seat for the whole second half and OT, I say it was a good game.

11-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Might have been a yawner at home but at the game it wasn't even close to a yawner. Yes, we did know the offense hadn't done squat since the 1st qtr TD and we openly complained about it but we held up the intensity knowing this game was going to have to be won by the Defense and the crowd.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
The only people I've heard call it a "great game" were people who attended.

I was in a chat room with a bunch of guys who cover the NFL for SBNation.com and they all thought it was the best MNF game of the year.

Phobia
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Might have been a yawner at home but at the game it wasn't even close to a yawner. Yes, we did know the offense hadn't done squat since the 1st qtr TD and we openly complained about it but we held up the intensity knowing this game was going to have to be won by the Defense and the crowd.

I'm sure the intensity and environment made it very entertaining.

Phobia
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I was in a chat room with a bunch of guys who cover the NFL for SBNation.com and they all thought it was the best MNF game of the year.

It was a sloppily executed game from a couple of mediocre teams. It wasn't good football. It was a 7 in terms of entertainment. Add 2.5 points if you're a Chiefs fan. Subtract 6 if you're the Charger fan.

stevieray
11-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Guys, I was almost 8 when they won the SB.

I'll be 50 in March.

Until they go out and EARN it, we will never get any respect.

11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm sure the intensity and environment made it very entertaining.

That it did.

Caseyguyrr
11-01-2011, 11:24 PM
No. I stoppped caring about what the national Media think a long time ago. They dont know the team half as well as most of us on here.

The Chiefs dont play in a major media market, havent won squat in 40 years and are not a flagship team. It is what it is. It just doesnt matter.

if this happened to the cowboys and they were now 4-3 after starting 0-3, ESPN, SI, and NFL network would have 24-7 non-stop coverage with hourly player interviews on how they were able to achieve such a miracle. We would be forced to not watch tv until they lost because it would be ALL anyone would be talking about.

Fuck the national media

Frazod
11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
As far as I can tell, the only person we're getting any love from is...... Pete Prisco.

:spock:

Demonpenz
11-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't really give a shit, peoples here know more bout bout it than the media.

rocknrolla
11-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Meh, who cares. **** the attention and just keep going out and winning.

Exactly. Before preseason and our injuries, with our schedule. Everyone was predicting 8-8, 9-7. I think everyone of the Chiefs are doing a helluva job.

Bob Dole
11-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Or he didn't capitalize on a nonexistent Chiefs pass rush.

On the Chargers' lone touchdown drive, he twice escaped pressure and made clutch passes for first down...

Wait. Wut?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-02-2011, 06:05 AM
We need to beat the Patriots and give the league a big fuck you.

Then they'll start calling us The Bad News Chiefs.

bricks
11-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Guys, I was almost 8 when they won the SB.

I'll be 50 in March.

Until they go out and EARN it, we will never get any respect.

Exactly.

bricks
11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
If you want attention from the media prove that you have a reputation for winning.

Mediocrity over the years simply aint gonna get it done.

bevischief
11-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Who cares? This just gives the team another chip on their shoulder to keep winning.

KCinNY
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Pining for national media love is a hopeless and pointless endeavor.

the Talking Can
11-02-2011, 06:30 AM
how dare they disrespect matt casual....

ChiefFripp
11-02-2011, 06:41 AM
To me it seems like when the national media gets behind The Chiefs, that's when The Chiefs blow it. I think they have to play with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove.

If you think this is bad, imagine if The Chiefs beat The Steelers or Patriots!

Deberg_1990
11-02-2011, 06:50 AM
if this happened to the cowboys and they were now 4-3 after starting 0-3, ESPN, SI, and NFL network would have 24-7 non-stop coverage with hourly player interviews on how they were able to achieve such a miracle. We would be forced to not watch tv until they lost because it would be ALL anyone would be talking about.

**** the national media

I dont doubt any of this. Why does it matter to you so much what some writer who lives in Massachusetts thinks about the Chiefs? Ill bet you know more about the team than he does.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Kansas City beat San Diego on Monday Night football last year. It was a fluke

The Chiefs went 10-6 last year, won the division, and made the playoffs. Complete and total circumstance.

KC wins another Monday Night Football game against the division leading Chargers (again) and moves into a tie for the lead. Complete and total fortuitous event.

Keep doubting them bitches.

BoneKrusher
11-02-2011, 07:05 AM
LMAO The national sports media hates the Chiefs.

**** em

yep.
yesterday on ESPN's first take the guys were taking a look at the AFC West and three of the four were saying the Chargers will still win the west.
One of them said the Chiefs were a fraud.

Eric Mangini was the only one that showed any support for the Chiefs when he said "they've won four in a row".

mlyonsd
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Until we win a playoff game we are frauds. Especially a piddly little home playoff game.

TheSourceX1
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The Chiefs get more criticism after beating SD then the saints did losing to the rams. God forbid they taint the image of the saints to the nation, but no one cares about KC ... just us fans ... nfl.com ranking still has faiders at #11 - SD at #15 & KC at #20 ... Rodney couldn't have less respect.

Packers D looks suspect ... we beat them and people will jump on the KC wagon in hoards.

crossbow
11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
So when the Chiefs beat teams with losing records they are frauds but when they beat a 4-2 then that team sucked that night and the Chiefs got lucky. Okay, suck it boys.

Ming the Merciless
11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Packers D looks suspect ... we beat them and people will jump on the KC wagon in hoards.

I was thinking the same thing only about NE or PITT.....I havent really watched GB's defense to know but i truly think we could put up a fight against NE or PITT and pull one of those games out....

TheSourceX1
11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing only about NE or PITT.....I havent really watched GB's defense to know but i truly think we could put up a fight against NE or PITT and pull one of those games out....

I'm with you on the Pats but Pitt looks kinda solid on D ... Pack & Pats I think are the best shots at upsets ... well we're always underdawgs but I think the Chiefs can pull those two out.

58kcfan89
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Despite their 4-3 record that has them bunched with the Chargers and Oakland Raiders for first place in the AFC West, the Chiefs are not a good football team. Their four-game winning streak started in a squeaker against the underachieving Minnesota Vikings and included wins against the hapless Indianapolis Colts and a Raiders team thrown into quarterback disarray.

The replacements for injured running back Jamaal Charles and injured tight end Tony Moeaki have played like replacements, and Matt Cassel has played like Matt Cassel. Beat the Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos in the next two weeks and media will be gushing over their six-game winning streak. But it will all be a mirage that will be exposed during their brutal late-season schedule.

Chiefs wins:
vs. MIN
@ IND
@ OAK
vs. SD

Total opponent wins: 10

Chargers wins
vs. MIN
vs. KC
vs. MIA
@ DEN

Total opponent wins: 8

...Really?

And he acts so surprised that Jackie Battle & Leonard Pope aren't Jamaal & Tony. Fucking moron.

1ChiefsDan
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
yep.
yesterday on ESPN's first take the guys were taking a look at the AFC West and three of the four were saying the Chargers will still win the west.
One of them said the Chiefs were a fraud.

Eric Mangini was the only one that showed any support for the Chiefs when he said "they've won four in a row".ESPNs "Playoff Predictor" (guessing it is some sort of simulator) has the Chiefs winning the west.

vailpass
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I can see why you don't like it but what exactly is inaccurate about this article?

Stinger
11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Meh, who cares. **** the attention and just keep going out and winning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Chief%20Planet/oh0hhx.gif