PDA

View Full Version : Life Savings account vs cds

Dunit35
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Anybody do those cds? I'd like to put some money in one. The banks interest rates are a joke.

Are they safe?
Is there even much of a difference in amount earned compared to a regular savings account?

Saul Good
11-02-2011, 07:13 PM
CDs don't pay shit either, and they tie up your money. I saw a 3 year CD the other day paying .02%. That's not 2%. It's one percent of two percent. If you agree to tie up $10,000 for 3 years, you would have $10,006.

Phobia
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Do you have twitter? See if you can get @M_Brunell8 to help you out.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
right now there isn't much difference between savings and CD. I had all my CD's go into savings account instead of rolling over. Hopefully one of these days shit will turn around and the interest rates will go back up.

KC Jones
11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Assuming you have a considerable amount to put away (like a 6-9 month emergency supply), then I'd put it in a blue chip corporate bond fund. It's not completely risk free, but pretty damn close to that and you'll get a return unlike with the cd or savings account.

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
oddly - banks don't want your money now-a-day. I'm not joking either.

ClearmontChief
11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Assuming you have a considerable amount to put away (like a 6-9 month emergency supply), then I'd put it in a blue chip corporate bond fund. It's not completely risk free, but pretty damn close to that and you'll get a return unlike with the cd or savings account.

Agree completely. CDs and savings accounts are a joke. You aren't going to lose money...except that inflation will eat up anything you earned on the period of time you parked your money.

I'd invest it. Actually, right now, I'd invest like crazy.

kcfan82
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Agree completely. CDs and savings accounts are a joke. You aren't going to lose money...except that inflation will eat up anything you earned on the period of time you parked your money.

That's what I'm banking on, I have no clue if I'm making the right decision because I'm a programmer and not an investor.

But stocks are dirt cheap right now, so I've been buying, if they level back off I'll be extremely happy.

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM

it's a righteous, class of 2000 LURKER appearance, Welcome Back ClearmontChief.

BossChief
11-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I gain 3.75% on my University of Iowa credit union account.

I don't think you have to have attended there to start one, either.

ClearmontChief
11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
it's a righteous, class of 2000 LURKER appearance, Welcome Back ClearmontChief.

? class of 2000 LURKER?

Whatever. Just giving solid advise.

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM

You still gettin' that really good weed we used to deal?

ClearmontChief
11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
That's what I'm banking on, I have no clue if I'm making the right decision because I'm a programmer and not an investor.

But stocks are dirt cheap right now, so I've been buying, if they level back off I'll be extremely happy.

Yes, yes they are. I've been going 12% into my 401K during the downslide. I'll be very happy when things turn North again.

BWillie
11-02-2011, 09:08 PM

O rly? Savings account or can you write checks and debit card from the acct too? I keep a high balance in my checking account, and I have Valley View bank who gives me 3%. It usta be 5% though.

BossChief
11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
O rly? Savings account or can you write checks and debit card from the acct too? I keep a high balance in my checking account, and I have Valley View bank who gives me 3%. It usta be 5% though.

yes, its linked to my savings and checking...if you sign up for an account, pm me first cause they will give us each 50 bucks.

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 09:10 PM
? class of 2000 LURKER?

Whatever. Just giving solid advise.

I know and it is solid advice - I was just commenting - glad you are posting - you should post more often - unless you're a mult. But overall, I don't really care TBH.

BossChief
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
You still gettin' that really good weed we used to deal?

I think you have me confused.....

you didnt say the secret word

petegz28
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
CD's??? LMAO Yea, lock your money up for 5 years at 2%.

ClearmontChief
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I know and it is solid advice - I was just commenting - glad you are posting - you should post more often - unless you're a mult. But overall, I don't really care TBH.

Thanks,

Haha, a mult? I don't know what that is so I guess I'm not one of those.

Maybe lurker is appropriate. I seldom post...can't get on at work much anymore, blocked. Don't have much time on here. Just like to provide advise about things I know something about. Investing, the military, traveling from Omaha to KC, etc.

BossChief
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks,

Maybe lurker is appropriate. I seldom post...can't get on at work much anymore, blocked. Don't have much time on here. Just like to provide advise about things I know something about. Investing, the military, traveling from Omaha to KC, etc.

Lets get down to it

do you have a good connect for some off the hizzy coke?

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks,

oh okay, well good enough - ty for posting and ty for serving the country as well. Did you come over from the KC Star forum?

Simply Red
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I think you have me confused.....

you didnt say the secret word

pretty good:LOL:

R8RFAN
11-03-2011, 01:33 AM
CD's are safe but they are not paying anything even on long term ones.... The only place to make any money right now is in the stock market if you got the guts.

CD Rates will not go up until home mortgage rates go up.

HoneyBadger
11-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Anybody do those cds?
Not anymore, I've switched to using an iPod, it is way more efficient.

Are they safe?
Very safe, they have minimal health side effects.

Is there even much of a difference in amount earned compared to a regular savings account?
Not sure how this relates :shrug:

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2011, 05:31 AM
CDs used to be good options. Now the rates are so low it doesn't make sense. As my CD ladders mature instead of rolling them over I've been using some of it to make the max. contribution to my Roth IRA and then the rest goes into savings/checking.

Saul Good
11-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Have you considered taking a $6,000 investing course? I'm told that you can make money whether the market is going up, down, or sideways if you have this expert training. Operators are standing by. If the line is busy, keep calling.

King_Chief_Fan
11-03-2011, 05:53 AM
oddly - banks don't want your money now-a-day. I'm not joking either.

and that is the truth....I had a CD mature a couple of years ago in my bacnk and i asked my bank to match the rate from another bank. No, was the answer and the reason was, "we don't need your money". My response was ok, close my account and hand over the cash. We can't write a check that big today you need to come back tomorrow when the president is here. Nope, write it now as you don't need it. Had to make several calls to get somone to authorize the closing of the account......The saw a 200k walk right out the door.

ClearmontChief
11-03-2011, 06:07 AM
oh okay, well good enough - ty for posting and ty for serving the country as well. Did you come over from the KC Star forum?

Nope, never posted at KC Star. Just here and at the Coalition. Used to post here more in the past. Haven't posted much over last 3-4 years.

ClearmontChief
11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Lets get down to it

do you have a good connect for some off the hizzy coke?

Haha. Nope, think you might have me confused with someone else.