PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Fine kettle of fish

cdcox
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
So the washing machine has been on its last legs for a week or two. Probably the bearing or the motor. Maybe repairable, but the washer-dryer is 21 years old, so I'm not sure how much time money I want to put into it.

I'm running out of underwear, so I decide to do a load in the limping washer. When the washer is running the rinse cycle, I hear the toilet gurgle. Hmm, that's strange. The washer really has a tough time with the spin cycle and as it grinds to a stop, I figure this might be the last load before it needs to be repaired/replaced.

I start throwing the underwear into the dryer, and I notice this grey matter all over my underwear. Shit. Literally.

I go to plunge the toilet and instead of clearing it makes the air sucking noise.

So I've got a serious plug in the drain line that needs to be snaked, a washing machine that is dead, and all my underwear is soaked in sewage.

It's midnight, I'm swamped at work and don't have time to deal with this.

KcMizzou
11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
To quote a line from a Tom Petty song..

"So I'm Freeee!!! Free ballin!"

cdcox
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
And now I have this whiny chorus running through my head.

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 10:38 PM
You'll have to "go commando" for one day.

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 10:38 PM
How's the wife's underwear supply looking?

cdcox
11-02-2011, 10:42 PM
You'll have to "go commando" for one day.

I have my Under Armour (light weight anti-chafe hiking trunks) to get me through tomorrow. Won't help with the clogged drain line, the dead washer, or the Tom Petty problems though.

cdcox
11-02-2011, 10:43 PM
How's the wife's underwear supply looking?

Yeah, no.

KcMizzou
11-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I have my Under Armour (light weight anti-chafe hiking trunks) to get me through tomorrow. Won't help with the clogged drain line, the dead washer, or the Tom Petty problems though.LMAO Sorry man.

RealSNR
11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Call Todd Collins he'll fix your washer /Mitch Holthus circa 2003

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I have my Under Armour (light weight anti-chafe hiking trunks) to get me through tomorrow. Won't help with the clogged drain line, the dead washer, or the Tom Petty problems though.
Well then all you have to do is pick up some new underwear on your way home tomorrow and you can put off the rest of your problems until the weekend.

KcMizzou
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Well then all you have to do is pick up some new underwear on your way home tomorrow and you can put off the rest of your problems until the weekend.Hell, I've done that just to put off doing laundry. (gotta grab a bag of socks too, though).

Brock
I wonder if the toilet and washer problem are related, such as the washer inhaled a sock and shoved it into the drain line.

Bwana
Go get a new washer and cut a deal where they have to haul the old one off. Fire up the video camera!

Ming the Merciless
11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
for the clogged drain line:

http://www.truevalue.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=9602&parentCategoryId=15&categoryId=2207&subCategoryId=1798&type=product&cid=gooshop

drain king drain unclogger available at any hardware store, put it on the hose...put it down the washer drain where the tube goes as far as you can, turn it on and let it unclog (a couple minutes)...

ive never not had it work on a w/d drain

Bwana
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh and....cdcox's washer > Tebow

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Underwear soaked in sewage > Tebow

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Wearing your wife's underwear because yours is soaked in sewage > Tebow

cdcox
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Well then all you have to do is pick up some new underwear on your way home tomorrow and you can put off the rest of your problems until the weekend.

The washer and toilet are on separate drain lines, so the clog is probably in the sewer line going out to the street. Problems could get a whole lot worse by the weekend. Got a bunch of crap piled up by the sewer clean out. I should go down stairs and move all that stuff so a plummer could come tomorrow and snake the drain.

cdcox
11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
for the clogged drain line:

http://www.truevalue.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=9602&parentCategoryId=15&categoryId=2207&subCategoryId=1798&type=product&cid=gooshop

drain king drain unclogger available at any hardware store, put it on the hose...put it down the washer drain where the tube goes as far as you can, turn it on and let it unclog (a couple minutes)...

ive never not had it work on a w/d drain

Got one of those, but I'm pretty sure the problem is in the 4" main drain line, because the toilet and washer are on separate drain lines inside the house.

Bugeater
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
The washer and toilet are on separate drain lines, so the clog is probably in the sewer line going out to the street. Problems could get a whole lot worse by the weekend. Got a bunch of crap piled up by the sewer clean out. I should go down stairs and move all that stuff so a plummer could come tomorrow and snake the drain.
There's a Jake Plummer joke in there somewhere....

cdcox
11-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Jake Plummer got pissed at his dog for tripping him and flushed it down my toilet?

Ming the Merciless
11-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Got one of those, but I'm pretty sure the problem is in the 4" main drain line, because the toilet and washer are on separate drain lines inside the house.

I see...

They do make a larger 4" size.....I have used them (the larger size ones) with a high degree of success EXCEPT when roots are the known cause of the clog...

Its about the same price for the 4" one as the others, best of luck with your clog....If I was in the same town as you I'd try to unclog it for nothing.

If it is roots theyre not hard to cut, you just need a good snake and a root cutting attachment..(you can rent it )

Best of luck my friend.

cdcox
11-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Ah, drop and m and add a b.

Phobia
11-02-2011, 11:27 PM
I have my Under Armour (light weight anti-chafe hiking trunks) to get me through tomorrow.

So, you've already been wearing them 13 days? Those things are good for at least 2 weeks, bro.

aturnis
11-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Ah, drop and m and add a b.

:spock:?

Ming the Merciless
11-02-2011, 11:34 PM
:spock:?

Jake Plummer = Plumber

cdcox
11-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Toilet flushing :thumb:

Washing machine (Kenmore 80 series direct drive) seems to agitate and pump okay but reluctant to spin. When it does spin it's noisy and puts a heavy load on the motor (humming noise and or electrical smell). Motor coupling looks okay. I guessing the problem is probably the clutch or transmission. Maybe the drive block. Any ideas?

Phobia
11-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm sure it's your motor regulation diode fluid. Sometimes that gets dry. Drop a gallon of motor oil in there and run a couple of cycles. Should be good as new.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Okay, no 'fish' references in the thread title should be allowed during the week leading up to the Dolphin's game.

cdcox
12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Heh, my $4000 thread.

Soon after I posted this thread we bought a new LG washer dryer set. Very nice.

The drain worked fine for a few weeks then started giving us problems again this week. Snaking had no effect so we had to get the sewer line replaced. My front yard now looks like France circa 1916. Turns out the contractor that built our house back in the late 1980's decided it was too much hassle to glue any of the PVC pipe. I hope his crotch becomes a forest of burning aids trees. The drain line was completely root bound but could have been avoided with an extra five minutes worth of work. Tomorrow will start day 3 without any usable drain from the house. Should be back on line sometime tomorrow.

Merry f'n Christmas

Bugeater
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
This probably won't help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5gqT6En2O78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cdcox
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
This probably won't help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5gqT6En2O78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

A laugh and another Scotch should at least take the edge off.

Hammock Parties
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Merry Christmas.

boogblaster
12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
prolly related .. line is clogged .. washer might be fine just couldnt pump out water into line ..

stonedstooge
12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Sometimes life's just a bitch isn't it

DaFace
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
It could be worse...

(not safe for viewing by humans)

http://i.imgur.com/7fes9.jpg

BoneKrusher
12-22-2011, 09:19 PM
To quote a line from a Tom Petty song..

"So I'm Freeee!!! Free ballin!"

that's the Quaalude shuffle

Rain Man
12-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh, and Salma Hayek and Halle Berry told me that they went to your house yesterday for a threesome, but couldn't get through the construction stuff in the yard so they left.

cdcox
12-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh, and Salma Hayek and Halle Berry told me that they went to your house yesterday for a threesome, but couldn't get through the construction stuff in the yard so they left.

Well that is a silver lining. My wife would have cut out my liver and fed it to me. Thank goodness for WWI fortifications.