PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto SQUEEEEEEE!!!!! My car is getting an ECU tune

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
If all goes well, I will be getting my ECU tune on the SVT Focus tomorrow. Hello extra (roughly) 12hp, better MPG, and drag launch!

MY CAR IS GONNA HAVE ****ING DRAG LAUNCH, muahahahahahahahhahaahahaha

/I really don't need this and should probably use that money instead to feed starving children in Africa or something
//But really... stuff those children in Africa. I adopted one of those kids once and the "artwork" he made for me was atrocious. Never again.
///12hp and DRAG LAUNCH!!!!!!!

loochy
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
It only gets you 12 HP? I hope you aren't paying a lot for the tune...

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 01:10 PM

NO shit, and I hope this isn't an ebay tune, cause those things are a scam.

Although, just the tuner alone on my Saab 9-3 cost me $750 for 58HP.
On my Porsche, it's $1800-2000 for 50HP.

loochy
11-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Heh...says me that paid close to a grand for my BSR tune :shake:

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Heh...says me that paid close to a grand for my BSR tune :shake:

Yeah, I did a BSR Stage 3 on my 9-3. $750
But had to put in a BSR CAI, Downpipe, and Catback before I could even do that.

loochy
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I did a BSR Stage 3 on my 9-3. $750
But had to put in a BSR CAI, Downpipe, and Catback before I could even do that.

My stage 1 was about $750, then I paid another $150 for the upgrade 2 years later.

Intake = used for $100, Downpipe = $275, catback = $700, catback and dp install = $250

Maybe I'm not the one that should tell people they got ripped off... :shake:

Oh well, it gave me an extra 60 HP so im cool :thumb:

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Nope, not an ebay tune. Getting it from fswerks.com who do tuning on nothing but on Ford Focus.

The Tune itself is costing $150 not including the the tuning module itself which I am picking up second hand (unit is unlocked) for $150.

$300 total.

loochy
11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Nope, not an ebay tune. Getting it from fswerks.com who do tuning on nothing but on Ford Focus.

The Tune itself is costing $150 not including the the tuning module itself which I am picking up second hand (unit is unlocked) for $150.

$300 total.

Ah ok so its like a PPC that plugs into the OBD2?

Fish
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Wait... you're doing this to a Ford Focus?

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
What else have you done to your Focus?

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Some simple cars can be very mod friendly, for instance the new Ford Festiva, Focus, Dodge Neon SRT's, Honda Civic's, Etc.

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Ah ok so its like a PPC that plugs into the OBD2?

Gonna be using an Xcalibrator 2 to do the job.

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
What else have you done to your Focus?

The tune is the first thing recommended by the majority in the Ford Focus forums by an overwhelming majority. That aside, not really going to do a whole lot to it.

After the tune, and I save up my dough again, I'm probably going with a 67mm throttle body and from there my attention will turn to suspension.

Ford Focus SVT.

This ain't your Grannys Ford Focus.

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Oh, I was just going to say...

Usually if you are planning on tuning a car, you wanna do the other things first and then custom tune around it.

For instance, if you plan on throwing on a new exhaust / inter cooler / bigger turbo / Intakes / etc, you would want to put those on first and then tune.... telling your ecu that you have done these things, so please accommodate for them.

Otherwise you are limiting your car, even though it is capable of doing much more. (like they come from the factory)

Pants
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM

What kind of Porsche do you have?

Demonpenz
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Make sure you save your car, you can bring over your memory card, I have the VR4000 unlocked if you want to check it out on Friday. My playstation is acting funny so we may just play ridge racer.

penguinz
11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
What kind of Porsche do you have?A 914!

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
What kind of Porsche do you have?

Cayenne Turbo

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh, I was just going to say...

Usually if you are planning on tuning a car, you wanna do the other things first and then custom tune around it.

For instance, if you plan on throwing on a new exhaust / inter cooler / bigger turbo / Intakes / etc, you would want to put those on first and then tune.... telling your ecu that you have done these things, so please accommodate for them.

Otherwise you are limiting your car, even though it is capable of doing much more. (like they come from the factory)

Yup, if I add things to the car and need a re-tune, it is $35. The stock exhaust is killer and the cams are already aggressively tuned straight from Ford Racing. The next major power boost to the car would come from adding turbo but that is not cheap. I would have to save up for quite some time just to afford it, much less the installation. lol

The only real problem with this car with the factory tune are hanging revs and a lot of vibration because it is running at such a high idle. This tune also takes care of the hanging revs and smooths out the idle.

After this, it is about suspension, mounts, and clutch. I want to get the spoiler and the passenger door panel repainted. THEN, the saving for turbo begins.

Pants
11-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Cayenne Turbo

Very nice.

Molitoth
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Yup, if I add things to the car and need a re-tune, it is $35

Oh, that's nice!

Aspengc8
11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Yup, if I add things to the car and need a re-tune, it is $35. The stock exhaust is killer and the cams are already aggressively tuned straight from Ford Racing. The next major power boost to the car would come from adding turbo but that is not cheap. I would have to save up for quite some time just to afford it, much less the installation. lol

The only real problem with this car with the factory tune are hanging revs and a lot of vibration because it is running at such a high idle. This tune also takes care of the hanging revs and smooths out the idle.

After this, it is about suspension, mounts, and clutch. I want to get the spoiler and the passenger door panel repainted. THEN, the saving for turbo begins.

buh bye warranty

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
buh bye warranty

It is a 2003. Warranty is LONG gone.

Aspengc8
11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
It is a 2003. Warranty is LONG gone.

Good deal. I had to wait 35K miles before modding my 06 sti, and just picked up a 11 wrx limited w/ extended warranty.

Rooster
11-03-2011, 03:08 PM

It's got a Hemi.

loochy
11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
buh bye warranty

retune to stock, wham bam thank you maam

jspchief
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Make sure you save your car, you can bring over your memory card, I have the VR4000 unlocked if you want to check it out on Friday. My playstation is acting funny so we may just play ridge racer.

ROFL

Sent from my ADR6350

Ming the Merciless
11-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I know nothing about cars so this is probably a noob question:

Why would someone want to fix / invest in a ford focus as a race type car?

Does the SVT like handle well or is it because it is light or something liek that?

Radar Chief
11-03-2011, 03:46 PM

I have two words for you: nitrous oxide.

Ming the Merciless
11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEv1BlZd8A

loochy
11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I know nothing about cars so this is probably a noob question:

Why would someone want to fix / invest in a ford focus as a race type car?

Does the SVT like handle well or is it because it is light or something liek that?

Well, not really a race car, but if performance is easy to unlock, why not unlock it?

Ming the Merciless
11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, not really a race car, but if performance is easy to unlock, why not unlock it?

I didnt realize it was a performance car....until watching the youtube video..

Looks neat..not really my style, I'm not into the 'fast and furious' type of looking cars but I can see why people would be for the price/performance.

pr_capone
11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEv1BlZd8A

I had not seen that video yet. SWEET!

Seriously... I love this car. I'm so glad I didn't sell it. :D

loochy
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I've done a ton of stuff to my Saab 9-3, which really isn't a performance car. It's fun to have some spirited driving and it's just kind of a hobby now. I don't intend to race this car but I've done a tune, downpipe, air intake, and suspension for no real good reason. :shrug:

Simply Red
11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
you'll notice some boost, no question. I got two chips in the 1.8, that my girl drives, I drove it today. You WILL notice when it's cooler out (below 70) it'll scoot and feel like an entirely different car.

My 3.2 wouldn't murder it, but it'll still take it, even in ideal temps. Hopefully it's not too much on your tranny. The transmissions absolutely CAN be affected by these tunes.

BTW: i got the b6 tuned at go apr in Opelika Al. near Auburn 'U'

Simply Red
11-03-2011, 08:08 PM
buh bye warranty

pretty easy to toggle back - via the cruse control. The meatballs working at the dealer (most likely) would NOT be able to detect. Provided you don't have decals all over your car - which would TOTALLY make them look. But really, not much to see to the naked eye.

Simply Red
11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
by the way, today; I paid $303 for a throttle body cleaning and new wire harness which is near that portion of the motor. Hopefully these clowns at German Motor Works know WTF they're doing, but honestly - I didn't get that comfortable feeling w/ regards to their knowledge.

pr_capone
11-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Got the tune via email about an hour ago. Took me a bit to get the flashing software running properly on the computer but loaded it up and installed it on my car.

HOLY SHIT.

It feels like a completely different car. The hairs on my ball sack stood on end as I went WOT in first and second.

Nothing good will come of this. LOL

pr_capone
11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
by the way, today; I paid $303 for a throttle body cleaning and new wire harness which is near that portion of the motor. Hopefully these clowns at German Motor Works know WTF they're doing, but honestly - I didn't get that comfortable feeling w/ regards to their knowledge.

How did your car come out?

Simply Red
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
How did your car come out?

It's running great, really clean good acceleration, wait, which car? I got the tune done abt 2 yrs ago and Tonya (my girl) drives the 1.8t, I drive the 3.2 and the throttle body cleaning accompanied w/ that wire-harness replacement, apparently were really hindering it's performace. Because it's back!

pr_capone
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
It's running great, really clean good acceleration, wait, which car?

this one

Simply Red
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
this one

It's running perfectly now, thank god. That engine is very nice, but honestly - I'm going S4 next go around, I'm looking at pulling the trigger on an 08 w/in six mos., or so. I really enjoy the Audi brand. but your car is very sweet, also. :)

Simply Red
11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
The EC tunes are cool, but seriously PR - don't ALWAYS get on it, also, if you have a 'sport' option on yours, be sure you use comfort mode or regular 'drive' MOST of the time - or honestly, it'll toll on your tranny over time. Provided it's a 16 valve.

pr_capone
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
The EC tunes are cool, but seriously PR - don't ALWAYS get on it, also, if you have a 'sport' option on yours, be sure you use comfort mode or regular 'drive' MOST of the time - or honestly, it'll toll on your tranny over time. Provided it's a 16 valve.

Oh yeh.. gonna play with it for a bit but then it will mostly be business as usual. My car though does not have multiple modes. The engineers set the control to sport, broke the nob, then hid the switch so no one would ever find it. LOL

Simply Red
11-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh yeh.. gonna play with it for a bit but then it will mostly be business as usual. My car though does not have multiple modes. The engineers set the control to sport, broke the nob, then hid the switch so no one would ever find it. LOL

well - conversely, it'll feel normal once the outside temperature topples 73 degrees, or roughly that.

The turbos really like the colder air. In the summer - your car will lose most of it's boost that the tune brought. But that's normal w/ them. Not trying to be a 'know-it-all' - but i own a tuned car and have seen the good bad and ugly over the time. But you'll still be glad you did it, just remember to give it it's breaks/rests, regarding pedaling to the metal.

That's about all i got on it :)

Simply Red
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
do you still have the bike too?

pr_capone
11-05-2011, 10:33 PM
do you still have the bike too?

yup. got tired of riding year round so I picked up the car. also picked up a 1979 Suzuki gs425e for the wifey.

Simply Red
07-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Anyone ever powder-coat their wheels?

I'm going this route, I think - The BMW brake dust is atrocious so I'm going to have my wheels coated a semi flat black this way I can keep my OEM wheels in place - the Car is flashed to appx. 400hp, I had to tint the windows, but this is probably the last thing I'll do to it.

Thoughts?

loochy
07-17-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm going this route, I think - The BMW brake dust is atrocious so I'm going to have my wheels coated a semi flat black this way I can keep my OEM wheels in place - the Car is flashed to appx. 400hp, I had to tint the windows, but this is probably the last thing I'll do to it.

Thoughts?

I thought about it, but it's kind of expensive. I just Plasti dipped them metallic gunmetal.

Buck
07-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Plastidip is cheaper and less permanent.

CrazyPhuD
07-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Thoughts?

Generally speaking it's a bad idea. Why? Powder coating is most often done at a relatively 'high' temperature. This is generally bad for metals used in things like wheels because if the temperature is high enough(but not too high) then what happens is that the wheel hardness is reduced and you run the increased risk of bending a wheel. If the powder coating is baked in hotter then you run the opposite effect of actually increasing hardness...which at the same time makes the wheel more brittle.

The issue I've most commonly heard of is wheels cracking under stress after powdercoating. Most of the time this occurs at places like the track etc. But that doesn't mean it can't happen on the street.

Personally I'd paint them rather than powdercoat them. The temperature used to powdercoat is high enough to mess with the heat treatment of the wheels which can have adverse effects.

Simply Red
07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I thought about it, but it's kind of expensive. I just Plasti dipped them metallic gunmetal.

hmm, never heard of this - but I'm far from an expert at extra curricular work on cars. Tell me - how do you go about it - I'll google (of course) - but in the interim...??

Did you dip them yourself - would someone be able to nail a 'matte' black?

Simply Red
07-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Generally speaking it's a bad idea. Why? Powder coating is most often done at a relatively 'high' temperature. This is generally bad for metals used in things like wheels because if the temperature is high enough(but not too high) then what happens is that the wheel hardness is reduced and you run the increased risk of bending a wheel. If the powder coating is baked in hotter then you run the opposite effect of actually increasing hardness...which at the same time makes the wheel more brittle.

The issue I've most commonly heard of is wheels cracking under stress after powdercoating. Most of the time this occurs at places like the track etc. But that doesn't mean it can't happen on the street.

Personally I'd paint them rather than powdercoat them. The temperature used to powdercoat is high enough to mess with the heat treatment of the wheels which can have adverse effects.

Thanks.

Simply Red
07-17-2013, 07:23 PM
do you all think it'd look good - the car is charcoal w/ 32 tint - the spokes would be OEM - so I truly think that helps w/ this?

Simply Red
07-17-2013, 07:25 PM
also - apparently the powder coat processes take about four days - any time saving w/ this dipping method?

Ace Gunner
07-17-2013, 07:48 PM
get 3/4 turn cams in that lil thing and you will find warp torque

TLO
07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Pr you should get an accessport for your new Subaru. You're still getting one right?

Best purchase I ever made for my Subie.

TLO
07-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Plasit dip is awesome stuff.

pr_capone
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Pr you should get an accessport for your new Subaru. You're still getting one right?

Best purchase I ever made for my Subie.

Already got it, broke it in, and took it to the track. LOL

loochy
07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
hmm, never heard of this - but I'm far from an expert at extra curricular work on cars. Tell me - how do you go about it - I'll google (of course) - but in the interim...??

Did you dip them yourself - would someone be able to nail a 'matte' black?

Watch this video for a plasti dip overview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UdCtzxkER7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did dip those myself. I used 2 coats of matte black and 4 coats of gloss silver metalizer. Matte black is kind of the default color for plasti dip. You can buy matte black at almost any home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot). If you want some of the fancier colors or finishes, order them from dipyourcar.com It'll take you about 1 can per wheel.

Take the wheels off and clean them really well with some sort of degreaser. Simple green works well. You can do this with the wheels ON too, but I'd rather just take them off. Make sure all brake dust, grease, oil, and grime is gone from the wheel and make sure it is completely dry. If anything is left on the wheel, the plasti dip won't stick. Lean your wheels up against something so they are tilted at 45 degrees, then just spray on 4 or 5 light, even coats with 30 minutes dry time in between. Don't spray too thick or you'll get weird looking buildup or running. Allow the wheels to dry completely for 8 hours or so (or overnight). The next day, just peel off the excess plasti dip spray from your tires. It will peel right off and it will tear off in a nice neat line right at the edge of your wheel. Watch the video below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gz7xFJWSfKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

do you all think it'd look good - the car is charcoal w/ 32 tint - the spokes would be OEM - so I truly think that helps w/ this?

Personally, I like contrasting wheels - black or gunmetal on white or light silver, silver on gray or black cars. Also, I can't stand the matte colors on cars. To me, it looks cheap and unfinished. That's just opinion though. I'm sure you can find pictures of dark wheels with your car color on google.

also - apparently the powder coat processes take about four days - any time saving w/ this dipping method?

It'll take you an evening to do and overnight to dry.

Plasit dip is awesome stuff.

Yes it is - especially with all of the new colors, glosses, pearls, and metallics that have come out. It's cheap, easy, durable, and temporary.

El Jefe
07-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Thoughts?

Wagner Therma-Quiet brake pads are exquisite about not producing brake dust. I would put those on and see how it does, before venturing into a more expensive undertaking.

Radar Chief
07-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Interesting. So I’m assuming your “drag launch” is a launch rev limiter? Is this something you can tune yourself or do you have to return and have the ECU re-flashed?

Simply Red
02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I just got the new 335i tuned w/ Cobb Tuning Access port - it's 355 whp / 418torque.

It's so much better than the piggy-back - there's nothing that can substitute for the smoothness of a true tune. I saw a Nissan GTr Dyno today at 1650 whp :eek:

Hammock Parties
02-08-2014, 09:01 PM
you can get to the store faster now, congrats

Simply Red
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
you can get to the store faster now, congrats

you're a dick dude don't talk to me - you're the very definition of a player hater. Fucking doofus. GFY. You're a jealous fag.

Hammock Parties
02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
you're a dick dude don't talk to me - you're the very definition of a player hater. Fucking doofus. GFY. You're a jealous pillowbiter.

http://4inthemorn.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/260px-luke_skywalker_ep6_dvd1.jpg

Miles
02-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Is it sparkling graphite metallic? Really liked that color but I think BMW killed it off after 2008.

Cannibal
02-08-2014, 10:31 PM
I plan getting my Mopar 11 tuned and a custom intake and exhaust system, but not until the warranty is expired.

Anyong Bluth
02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
well - conversely, it'll feel normal once the outside temperature topples 73 degrees, or roughly that.

The turbos really like the colder air. In the summer - your car will lose most of it's boost that the tune brought. But that's normal w/ them. Not trying to be a 'know-it-all' - but i own a tuned car and have seen the good bad and ugly over the time. But you'll still be glad you did it, just remember to give it it's breaks/rests, regarding pedaling to the metal.

That's about all i got on it :)

You could get a cooled air intake.

Once you start playing with your car like this it can be rather addicting... at least for me.

Anyong Bluth
02-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Thoughts?

I'm assuming you've try aftermarket pads and rotors, along with better brake lubricant? Red stuff or maybe a different color- Blue, green, I forget specifically.

Miles
02-08-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm assuming you've try aftermarket pads and rotors, along with better brake lubricant? Red stuff or maybe a different color- Blue, green, I forget specifically.

Or just washing your car a little more often. The brake dust buildup on BMWs is bad but seems like it takes a few weeks to get to the point the front wheels look bad.

HonestChieffan
02-08-2014, 10:56 PM
http://images03.olx-st.com/ui/1/33/94/4222994_1.jpg

One of these?

pr_capone
02-08-2014, 10:59 PM
http://images03.olx-st.com/ui/1/33/94/4222994_1.jpg

One of these?

If you are referring to the OP, I no longer have that car. That said, no... it wasn't that. It was the 2 door hatch with the SVT label.