PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What to do in Jacksonville?

stanleychief
11-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Had a last minute trip to Jacksonville come up. I figure a few of you must have been down there. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat, or must see attractions? Looks like the Blue Angels will be there the day I arrive, so I'm going to try to see that.

Will be there a week, so I have plenty of time. First day we are staying by the beach, the rest of the week I'm closer to I-95 and 202. I'm scoping out the breweries already. Any good local brews down there?

Caseyguyrr
11-04-2011, 02:44 AM
umm don't go to the landing, way too expensive. my group took a trip for a conference and stayed at the jacksonville hyatt, so for a week we were forced to go there to eat. I almost went broke. No joke. But if you want high end seafood, go to Benny's. the website says $5-15 for dinner, but be prepared to spend 75-100.

redsurfer11
11-04-2011, 04:19 AM
Beach Road Chicken. Not much to see in Jax. You can take the Mayport ferry over to Fernandina Beach and the St Johns inlet. When parking on the beach, park far away from water. Tide comes up real fast. The sand is like concrete. I've seen a lot of cars float away. Old town St.Augustine is only 45 minutes away.

Mojo Jojo
11-04-2011, 04:44 AM
River City Brewing is good. I like Mellow Mushroom Pizza down there. Lots of places to get fresh raw oysters.

Dartgod
11-04-2011, 05:15 AM
Other than St. Augustine, there wasn't a hell of a lot to do when I was there.

Mi_chief_fan
11-04-2011, 06:05 AM
St. Augustine has already been mentioned, it's pretty much the best thing, but perhaps you can tour the U.S.S. Kennedy in Mayport, but i'm not sure if that's still allowed.

MahiMike
11-04-2011, 06:48 AM
ok, I got this one.

Definitely go to the blue Angels.

Beach of course. Jax beach has the pier and hangouts around it. It's more blue collar. Atlantic beach is bit more upscale. The nicest beach is in Hannah Park in Mayport. Don't know if you surf or fish but you can rent stuff at Sunrise surf shop on Beach blvd.

Take A1A north to Fernandina and rent a Kayak in pretty outback area. Have a beer at the Hammerhead in Fernandina afterwards.

Head south to St. Augustine. Prolly best on weekends.

If you don't wanna rent fishing equipment, take a day trip on King Neptune out of Mayport. Now's a great time of year to fish. Also, pompano fishing from the surf.

Whilst staying at I-95, Butler, go to Tinsel town. Head to twisted Kilt. Good place to see Chiefs game.

Gotta go to St Johns town center to shop/eat.

There are over 100 golf courses here so hopefully you play. Also, tennis courts on every corner.

Landing is dead.

Best bar scenes are Tinsel town, St johns town center, Jax beach, Atlantic Beach (my fave). Go to Ragtimes for great live music.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

stanleychief
11-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all.. I'll definitely check out St. Augustine. I kayak some on the Ozark Riverways, so Fernandina sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up on where to catch the game too.

Archie F. Swin
11-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Is Gators Dockside still there on the west side? They had the best wings on the planet when I was stationed in Jax. NOMZ!

MahiMike
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Is Gators Dockside still there on the west side? They had the best wings on the planet when I was stationed in Jax. NOMZ!

Yes, it's still there. There's also one in Baymeadows. Lotsa good wing places; Hurricane wings, hooters, BW3, Sneakers. Sneakers is prolly the coolest sports bar. Huge. Bit pricey.

Archie F. Swin
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Jags Game? :shrug: That's a pretty cool stadium.

nychief
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Strip club?