PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit vol II: Anatomy of a Miracle

Direckshun
11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
The game is tied 20-20, and the Chargers just gained a first down on the Chiefs 15 with 1:08 left to go. They are killing the clock at this point to set up a Nick Novak field goal which would win the game.

At 1:03, Phillip Rivers fumbles the center-quarterback exchange.

Kelly Gregg times the snap perfectly and submarines right through center Nick Harwick's legs, knocking him back and away from the fumble. Initially was not aware of the fumble. Amon Gordon stands up the guard at the start of the play, pushes him to the ground after he sees the fumble and pushes McMichael away from the pile. Glenn Dorsey notices the fumble immediately and splays out to reach for the ball immediately, though it's out of his reach. He ends up at the very bottom of the dog pile.

DeMorrio Williams is engaging the fullback on the far side out past the hash marks, out of the play. Justin Houston is engaging a tight end on the far side out past the hash marks, out of the play. Tyson Jackson is engaging the right tackle on the far side out past the hash marks, initially out of the play but darts towards the pile once he sees the fumble.

Jovan Belcher is getting destroyed out of the play by the right guard, out of the play. Derrick Johnson attempts initially to clog the middle behind Amon Gordon, but begins standing over the pile once he notices the fumble, searching for the ball. Rashard Langford drifts about five yards off the LOS in case anybody breaks downfield, and darts up to the LOS once its clear there's a fumble.

Andy Studebaker is playing the near edge when he notices the fumble. He darts to the pile, and dives in immediately once he spies the ball under Phillip Rivers' arm pit. He begins churning into Rivers and wrangles the ball away, securing it in the pile as Brinkley attempts to wedge in. Brandon Carr is manning a receiver out wide on the near side until he notices the fumble. He sprints immediately into the pile and notices Studebaker has secured the ball, indicates it to the refs, and pushes Brinkley off of Studebaker.

At the heart of the pile, Amon Gordon and Tyson Jackson combine to haul Nick Hardwick out of the play like a rag doll. Jacob Hester gets in Jackson's face as the pile gets sorted out.

At the exact same moment Carr notices Studebaker has secured the ball, Langford and Johnson notice and yank Studebaker out of the pile along with the ball. Refs call Chiefs possession.

Was just rewatching this on TV just now... and this is one of the reasons I love football. For one play to go your way, you everyone doing their jobs, and a little luck as well.

I hope this play lives in infamy for the rest of Rivers' career.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
At the heart of the pile, Amon Gordon and Tyson Jackson combine to haul Nick Hardwick out of the play like a rag doll.

This was my favorite part. They raped him. I was surprised there was no penalty.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2011, 02:04 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CnngSFAc5XE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
11-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Might have been my favorite part as well.

After Studebaker got the ball, there were really two threats to tie it up and thus win possession back for the offense. Harwick, who was pulled out of the play -- all 300 lbs of him -- by Jackson and Gordon, and Brinkley, who was shoved out of the play by Carr.

Then DJ and Langford have to haul him out -- because he can't get out on his own with both of his arms wrapping it up.

Just a total team play. Like all the great ones are.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Looking at it over and over, my theory is that Dorsey does something on the bottom of the pile to stop Rivers from securing it, and Studebaker goes in and scavenges it.

KC_Connection
11-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Rivers is such a pussy, for more reasons than one.

-King-
11-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Yeah, DJ and Langford pulling Stude out was my favorite part
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
11-06-2011, 03:26 AM
I've watched it tens of times. I just love how Gregg totally wrecks havoc which I think killed any chance of Rivers having his center as an extra layer of protection to help him recover the ball. If our guys play with this spirit and teamwork, we will be tough to beat.

Caseyguyrr
11-06-2011, 03:50 AM
the whole thing was my favorite part

bevischief
11-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Looking at it over and over, my theory is that Dorsey does something on the bottom of the pile to stop Rivers from securing it, and Studebaker goes in and scavenges it.

Nutt cracker 2.

Caseyguyrr
11-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Nutt cracker 2.

he went to the Shaun Smith school of how to get shit done under a pile

bevischief
11-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Can't stop the beard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!