PDA

View Full Version : Football You be the GM: The Colts

Okie_Apparition
11-06-2011, 10:34 AM
The Colts get the #1 pick. They have until March to pick up a 28 million dollar option on Manning or let him walk. Odds are strong he won't be healed enough for a team to want to trade for him by then.

1) Do you let Manning walk, draft Luck & rebuild?

2) Pick up Manning's option, draft Luck & see how it plays out?

3) Get Manning to extend the deadline. Not sure why he would agree to that.

4) Something else

Buehler445
11-06-2011, 10:44 AM

End.

Okie_Apparition
11-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I let him walk & start fresh. Attack the FA market

milkman
11-06-2011, 10:54 AM
If Manning is still having issues with his neck, then I let him walk.

I draft Luck and start to actually build a team that can compete defensively when the games are close.

Polian has done an outstanding job through the years of providing Manning with weapons, providing protection, and building a defense that could get after the QB.

But he's failed to address, adequately, a one dimensional defense, and that, along with Manning's penchant for choke jobs in the playoffs, is a big reason they have only one SB in Manning's 12 years, and why they are sucking up the joint without him.

Buehler445
11-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I let him walk & start fresh. Attack the FA market

You better get him traded. The Faid would probably offer 13 firsts. You would probably have to wait until 2052, when they have picks again.

Okie_Apparition
11-06-2011, 10:58 AM
My thinking is you let Manning walk so you can pay for some decent O-line to protect Luck. I'm also assuming the offense would change

Hootie
11-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Milkman...

you give me a Manning playoff choke job, and I'll match it with a Brady playoff choke job...

Ready?

BREAK!

milkman
11-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey Milkman...

you give me a Manning playoff choke job, and I'll match it with a Brady playoff choke job...

Ready?

BREAK!

Why waste the keystrokes?

You and I are never going to see things the same.

You just keep idolizing Manning, and I'll just continue to tell it like I see it.

The fact is, other than your Manning delusion, I think you're football takes are pretty solid, so how about we just pass on each other's Manning opinions?

DTLB58
11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I would do #2 but the problem with this scenario and the entire "talk" noboy knows what his health is going to be.

If he is 100% good to go why wouldn't the Colts want him?
If he isn't healthy who the heck is going to trade for him and give the Colts what they think he is worth?

The thing about Peyton going to another team, I don't think he will be as successful. He has basically been the offensive coordinator and everything he does on the field the success has as much to do with the same players as their talent. It takes time.

R8RFAN
11-06-2011, 11:19 AM
#2 & let him learn behind the master to dominate the position for the next 13 years

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Draft Luck and tell Peyton to fuck off.

R8RFAN
11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Draft Luck and tell Peyton to **** off.

Yea dumbass, alienate someone who your team will probably look to to be the next great coach in the NFL.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey Milkman...

Ready?

BREAK!

Jebus, not this shit again.

milkman
11-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I would do #2 but the problem with this scenario and the entire "talk" noboy knows what his health is going to be.

If he is 100% good to go why wouldn't the Colts want him?
If he isn't healthy who the heck is going to trade for him and give the Colts what they think he is worth?

The thing about Peyton going to another team, I don't think he will be as successful. He has basically been the offensive coordinator and everything he does on the field the success has as much to do with the same players as their talent. It takes time.

I honestly believe that Manning would enjoy more success with a coach who control things more than Dungy and Caldwell have through the years.

I think if he were to move to another team with the right situation, he might actually have a couple of SBs in him.

I think he would have more than one SB with better, more firm, coaching over the past 12 years.

Chiefnj2
11-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Yea dumbass, alienate someone who your team will probably look to to be the next great coach in the NFL.

Coaching doesn't pay enough for Manning.

FAX
11-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I crank up that "Na Na Na Goodbye" song, pocket the cash, welcome young Luck to his brand new, downtown, Indianapolis, gentleman's flat, get on the phone, and order up some brand new, downtown, Indianapolis hos.

FAX

bricks
11-06-2011, 11:28 AM
#2 seems like the most logical choice only if Manning recovers and comes back to play next season. Then yeah if you're Bill Polian you take the 28 million dollar option pickup on Manning's contract and let him play. Let the scenario be similar to the Favre/Rodgers situation in Green Bay.

Rausch
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd hold that pick hostage and milk the NFL for as retarded a trade as I could get...

R8RFAN
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Coaching doesn't pay enough for Manning.

Not now but it will, ask Harbaugh in SF.

Bugeater
11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd hold that pick hostage and milk the NFL for as retarded a trade as I could get...
Unfortunately for Polian none of the retards that post here are actual NFL GMs.

Okie_Apparition
11-06-2011, 11:59 AM
You could try getting him to extend the deadline, if he gets a say in where he goes if traded. Eli already proved though the Mannings aren't opposed to refusing to play somewhere.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Yea dumbass, alienate someone who your team will probably look to to be the next great coach in the NFL.:spock:

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately for Polian none of the retards that post here are actual NFL GMs.I may be retarded, but giving 35 million to a 35 yr old QB who just had 2 neck surgeries is dumb.

whoman69
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
They paid him this year not even to play when they could have put him on IR. If he is healthy you keep him, draft Luck and let him learn behind Manning. It may be Manning's opinion that a #1 shouldn't sit, but who runs the team? Manning is going to have to stop taking every snap in practice so that a backup can develop.

Molitoth
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Keep Manning, trade the pick and collect for the future. Select a different high level QB prospect that slips to study under Manning ala Aaron Rodgers.

Bugeater
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I may be retarded, but giving 35 million to a 35 yr old QB who just had 2 neck surgeries is dumb.
I was referring to the people who want to trade 2 entire drafts for the pick.

Frankie
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Assuming your incentive for this thread is for the chiefs to go after a FA Peyton Manning, I say if his medical issues are bad enough for the Colts to let him walk, then they are too bad for us to sign him.

BigChiefFan
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
When you get the opportunity to draft playmakers, you do it.

whoman69
11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Keep Manning, trade the pick and collect for the future. Select a different high level QB prospect that slips to study under Manning ala Aaron Rodgers.

Yes, because every year has an Aaron Rodgers. Just take Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn as an example. You take the opportunity when you have it.

Psyko Tek
11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
here's how it is done
sign manning and luck tell
manning to coach the kids up
and give him a piece of the team
sorta like the elway shit in denver
make him a minority owner and some kind of suit in the organization

jd1020
11-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Keep Manning, trade the pick and collect for the future.

Trading away the right to draft Luck to prepare for the future makes no sense.

4th and Long
11-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I get to be the Colts GM? Sweet. My first act would be to hang myself from the ceiling fan in my office with my tie.

tredadda
11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
If I were the Colts GM, I trade the #1 pick to KC for Cassel and their first and second round. But I am biased though. Now in reality, I draft Luck and let Peyton walk. He is 35 and coming off two neck surgeries. You don't pass on a talent like Luck as they don't come around very often (last comparable QB was, well Peyton ironically). You could sign alot of quality FA's with the money you save not paying Peyton.

jspchief
11-06-2011, 04:26 PM
First I talk to Manning about restructuring. When he inevitably says no, I decline his option and draft Luck.

The team is clearly bad anyway. Why fork over 35m to an aging QB who only makes your bad team average?

Sent from my ADR6350

SenselessChiefsFan
11-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Where do I pick up my check?

crispystl
11-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Why waste the keystrokes?

You and I are never going to see things the same.

You just keep idolizing Manning, and I'll just continue to tell it like I see it.

The fact is, other than your Manning delusion, I think you're football takes are pretty solid, so how about we just pass on each other's Manning opinions?

I usually tend to agree with both of your football takes. If I could pick a Cp'er to be my GM I'd take Milkman.

Tribal Warfare
11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
IMO, Manning will rush his recovery to get back on the field to win some games, thus keeping the Colts out of the Luck Sweepstakes so he doesn't have a young gun breathing down his neck.

cdcox
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
As of today, the Colts have more than a 70% chance of having the overall first pick. Incredible for them to go from Manning to Luck.

listopencil
11-06-2011, 08:15 PM

End.

^

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
By the way, it's quite simple.

It's not even a thinker.

This is a "what have you done for me lately?" league. Colts fans love Peyton Manning, but they'll get over it just like the Packers fans got over Brett Favre in...ONE YEAR. That's right...Favre was IRREPLACEABLE to Packers fans...they dreaded the day Favre was going to be done...

what happened?

Aaron Rodgers. And now Packers fans are like, "Brett who?"

That won't happen with Peyton RIGHT AWAY...but Luck shines another 15 years of hope on a franchise that was going to dread the day Manning was no longer around.

So you draft Luck, no matter what, and then pawn off Peyton to the highest bidder.

If Peyton passes a physical...there is no way in hell he isn't worth, at the very least, a 1st and 3rd rounder.

But with Luck you need a whole new regime.

Get rid of Peyton, get rid of the idiot head coach...start from scratch. Hire and up and coming young coach, someone good for Luck, and take your extra Peyton picks and start building your next dynasty.

notorious
11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
We are going to sign Peyton next year.........

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
KC would be a great landing spot for Peyton, that's for sure

I just don't think Pioli would want anything to do with Peyton Manning. Which is absurd.

But yeah...at this point Indy is getting Luck...it would be a huge upset otherwise.

That team is just a complete train wreck.

(Which is funny, because they are a 11 win playoff team with #18 under center)

Just think about that...think about this team, with this talent, with a REAL QB under center...(and not only a REAL QB...but one of the best ever)

notorious
11-06-2011, 09:09 PM
If Peyton is available, I almost guarantee it.

It would fill up the stadium, we would get more primetime games, and the media would get lock-jaw sucking Peyton and the Chiefs off.

Besides, getting a retread QB is how the Chiefs roll.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
By the way, it's quite simple.

It's not even a thinker.

This is a "what have you done for me lately?" league. Colts fans love Peyton Manning, but they'll get over it just like the Packers fans got over Brett Favre in...ONE YEAR. That's right...Favre was IRREPLACEABLE to Packers fans...they dreaded the day Favre was going to be done...

what happened?

Aaron Rodgers. And now Packers fans are like, "Brett who?"

That won't happen with Peyton RIGHT AWAY...but Luck shines another 15 years of hope on a franchise that was going to dread the day Manning was no longer around.

So you draft Luck, no matter what, and then pawn off Peyton to the highest bidder.

If Peyton passes a physical...there is no way in hell he isn't worth, at the very least, a 1st and 3rd rounder.

But with Luck you need a whole new regime.

Get rid of Peyton, get rid of the idiot head coach...start from scratch. Hire and up and coming young coach, someone good for Luck, and take your extra Peyton picks and start building your next dynasty.

Next dynasty?

Don't you have to have a first dynasty before you have your next dyansty?

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Next dynasty?

Don't you have to have a first dynasty before you have your next dyansty?

perhaps I used dynasty a bit loosely but how many straight years did they win 12 games?

This isn't really baseball...it's tough to win your division and make the playoffs every year.

In that sense, the Colts were a dynasty. They were always Super Bowl contenders, they almost ran the table a few times...and they often came up short.

Still a very exciting era to be a fan, I'd imagine. And they got a Super Bowl out of it as well.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:18 PM
perhaps I used dynasty a bit loosely but how many straight years did they win 12 games?

This isn't really baseball...it's tough to win your division and make the playoffs every year.

In that sense, the Colts were a dynasty. They were always Super Bowl contenders, they almost ran the table a few times...and they often came up short.

Still a very exciting era to be a fan, I'd imagine. And they got a Super Bowl out of it as well.

Frankly, I'd be nearly as pissed about the Manning era if I was a Colts fan as I am about the Marty era as a Chiefs fan.

One SB win in that era would not be acceptable.

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Frankly, I'd be nearly as pissed about the Manning era if I was a Colts fan as I am about the Marty era as a Chiefs fan.

One SB win in that era would not be acceptable.

but we're seeing now with Brady losing in the playoffs the game is evolving, the talent gap is narrowing, and winning repeat Super Bowls isn't easy.

Yes, we have the usual suspects competing every year...but lets face it...1 Super Bowl every 10 years is an amazing ratio. As a fan, if you can get a Super Bowl every 10 years and be competitive for an entire decade that's fantastic.

The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl in HOW many years now?

Are we saying Ben Roethlisberger is a better QB than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady?

Football is a team sport. It never was Manning's fault they didn't win more Super Bowls...they never had a complete team. They never had a good coach. I said as much all along.

They had one superstar and an entire team (even a defense) was built around one guy. The Colts COULD NOT BE BEATEN when they played ahead...if Manning put two scores on the board right away game over.

But if the other team managed to keep Manning on the sidelines, that defense was total shit. The coaching staff wasn't good enough. Dungy never improvised...he was predictable.

Peyton got dealt a pretty terrible hand if you ask me and he made the absolute best out of it and gave the Colts 13 years to remember, for sure.

I mean...Brady is a much better QB today than he was in 2001 and they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004.

Like I said...once the focus of the Pats went from THE PATRIOTS to TOM BRADY AND THE PATRIOTS suddenly they no longer win the big game.

It was never as easy as it seemed...the Patriots were just ahead of the curve early in the decade and it resulted in Super Bowl wins. Manning never had that luxury.

(Oh, and spygate.)

Aries Walker
11-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Keep Peyton, trade the #1 pick down to someone like the Seahawks for a fortune, shore up the defense and O-Line.

Draft or sign a really good QB in about three years, when Peyton is a little closer to retirement age.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I think Manning ends up in Dallas next year if the Colts get the #1 pick.

Frankie
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
As of today, the Colts have more than a 70% chance of having the overall first pick. Incredible for them to go from Manning to Luck.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/180238

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I've said this before, and still believe, that if the Colts had a better coach, one that had more control over everthing on the field, and demanded more from his GM in the way of defensive talent, that Manning would have more than one SB under his belt.

I also still believe that Manning never took into consideration team building when he and his agent negotiated contracts, and that hurt the organization's ability to build a more complete competitive team.

I would be pissed about that single SB when I felt that it could have been more, and I'd be pissed that Manning's contracts played a part in that.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
And, to be fair, Freeney's contracts also helped to handcuff that organization.

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
the absolute least I would take for the #1 pick is 2 #1's (one being a top 10 in 2012), 2 #2's and 2 #3's and I probably still wouldn't do it...

you don't trade Andrew Luck

people on this board really overvalue draft picks...I've studied the past decade of drafts trying to debunk the drafturbators and I've learned a lot about the value of picks...and it isn't even as CLOSE to as high as the drafturbators seem to think

people really, really, really underestimate scheme...

Peyton Manning has made Bill Polian look like a genius drafter for a decade...but as soon as Peyton goes out all of those "great picks" look like total duds all of the sudden...

Go look at the 2001-2006 (just a small sample size) drafts and thumb through the 2nd-4th rounds and then realize you're only getting about a 20% success rate (if that)...and less than a 5% PREMIERE player rate...

Luck is the best QB prospect seen since Peyton Manning...sure he could bust but if he's pans out and turns into a franchise QB he is more valuable than probably 7 first round skill players (say RB, WR, LB, CB, DL etc...)

it would probably take Brandon Flowers, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe and Eric Berry to equal half of Andrew Luck's value. I kid you not.

We have all these players but it'll never mean anything without that franchise QB...so why would the Colts ever trade that #1 pick?

The Packers went from Favre to Rodgers and now they literally may racket off 5 Super Bowls over the course of the next 8-10 years.

Pretty sure the Colts wouldn't mind following that blue print.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Brett Favre, the next in line in the most overrated QB category.

Hootie
11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Brett Favre, the next in line in the most overrated QB category.

Totally, 100% agree...I've said that for a long time. He had one good stretch (96-98) where he was the best in the game but he was very overrated after that.

I'm saying he was God to Packers fans, as is Peyton to Colts fans.

But that doesn't mean you pass on Luck #1 overall...

Any smart GM takes Luck over Peyton any day of the week...Peyton is 35 and has a career threatening injury.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
If I were a Colt fan and Polian passed on Luck in the draft, I would probably go bat shit crazy.

O.city
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
the absolute least I would take for the #1 pick is 2 #1's (one being a top 10 in 2012), 2 #2's and 2 #3's and I probably still wouldn't do it...

you don't trade Andrew Luck

people on this board really overvalue draft picks...I've studied the past decade of drafts trying to debunk the drafturbators and I've learned a lot about the value of picks...and it isn't even as CLOSE to as high as the drafturbators seem to think

people really, really, really underestimate scheme...

Peyton Manning has made Bill Polian look like a genius drafter for a decade...but as soon as Peyton goes out all of those "great picks" look like total duds all of the sudden...

Go look at the 2001-2006 (just a small sample size) drafts and thumb through the 2nd-4th rounds and then realize you're only getting about a 20% success rate (if that)...and less than a 5% PREMIERE player rate...

Luck is the best QB prospect seen since Peyton Manning...sure he could bust but if he's pans out and turns into a franchise QB he is more valuable than probably 7 first round skill players (say RB, WR, LB, CB, DL etc...)

it would probably take Brandon Flowers, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe and Eric Berry to equal half of Andrew Luck's value. I kid you not.

We have all these players but it'll never mean anything without that franchise QB...so why would the Colts ever trade that #1 pick?

The Packers went from Favre to Rodgers and now they literally may racket off 5 Super Bowls over the course of the next 8-10 years.

Pretty sure the Colts wouldn't mind following that blue print.

I realize the argument of take Luck and get ready for the next 15 years, but If Peyton is healthy and can show the org. that he is ok to play for 4 or 5 years. If that is the case, with the picks you could get for that first pick you could retool your offense and defense and try and make a run with the 4 or 5 years you have.

After watching todays Chiefs game and todays Packers game, I came to a conclusion that true fans havne't quite grasped. If the Chiefs d gives up more than say 24 points they are in trouble. The Packs d gave up 37 today and won. Having a qb like that can make up for SO SO many deficiencies. Like you are saying Manning has done for so long. It's why I would thnk really long and hard about trading away picks for Luck.

If you think about it, you are gonna have draft picks coming in next year no matter what. If Berry, Charles, and Mo all rehab like they should and come back healthy, thats 3 better players than we would likely get in the draft.

Frankie
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
If I'm the Colts GM and there's a sucker team out there to give me their entire draft + their 1st next year, I would do it but still try to maneuver to get Barkley or even Landry Jones in the first. That's of course is if Peyton passes the physical.

In this scenario, I might have a good prospect on the bench who would learn under Peyton (ala Rogers) and take over in two or three years.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I realize the argument of take Luck and get ready for the next 15 years, but If Peyton is healthy and can show the org. that he is ok to play for 4 or 5 years. If that is the case, with the picks you could get for that first pick you could retool your offense and defense and try and make a run with the 4 or 5 years you have.

After watching todays Chiefs game and todays Packers game, I came to a conclusion that true fans havne't quite grasped. If the Chiefs d gives up more than say 24 points they are in trouble. The Packs d gave up 37 today and won. Having a qb like that can make up for SO SO many deficiencies. Like you are saying Manning has done for so long. It's why I would thnk really long and hard about trading away picks for Luck.

If you think about it, you are gonna have draft picks coming in next year no matter what. If Berry, Charles, and Mo all rehab like they should and come back healthy, thats 3 better players than we would likely get in the draft.

You never trade away the possibility of competing for the SB for 13-15 years for the chance to compete for it for 3-5 years.

Ever.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
If I'm the Colts GM and there's a sucker team out there to give me their entire draft + their 1st next year, I would do it but still try to maneuver to get Barkley or even Landry Jones in the first. That's of course is if Peyton passes the physical.

In this scenario, I might have a good prospect on the bench who would learn under Peyton (ala Rogers) and take over in two or three years.

If you're the GM of the Colts, and I'm a Colts fan, and you take this path, I might be inclined to hunt you down and torture and kill you.

O.city
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
You never trade away the possibility of competing for the SB for 13-15 years for the chance to compete for it for 3-5 years.

Ever.

I get that. But you know what Manning can give you if healthy. Luck, while everyone thinks he will be great, is a wildcard. One way or another the Chiefs should be on the phone with the Colts, getting a qb.

milkman
11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I get that. But you know what Manning can give you if healthy. Luck, while everyone thinks he will be great, is a wildcard. One way or another the Chiefs should be on the phone with the Colts, getting a qb.

What I get with Manning is a guy with one SB win, who has choked away numerous other opportunities, who may or may not last 5 years, and whose contract handcuffs my ability to build a more complete team.

Hootie
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Aaron Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone has ever played QB...

so "having a QB like that" is something that doesn't happen...well, ever (until Aaron Rodgers)...

So, yeah. I'd love to draft a guy and have him turn into a franchise QB...but the odds of us landing an Aaron Rodgers or even Andrew Luck turning into an Aaron Rodgers is minimal.

Aaron Rodgers was the product of the perfect situation and the perfect motivation along with a great set of tools and a pretty good head on his shoulders.

I promise you that, had Rodgers went #1 to San Fran...he wouldn't be the Aaron Rodgers we're seeing today. No way in hell.

O.city
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Aaron Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone has ever played QB...

so "having a QB like that" is something that doesn't happen...well, ever (until Aaron Rodgers)...

So, yeah. I'd love to draft a guy and have him turn into a franchise QB...but the odds of us landing an Aaron Rodgers or even Andrew Luck turning into an Aaron Rodgers is minimal.

Aaron Rodgers was the product of the perfect situation and the perfect motivation along with a great set of tools and a pretty good head on his shoulders.

I promise you that, had Rodgers went #1 to San Fran...he wouldn't be the Aaron Rodgers we're seeing today. No way in hell.

This is very much so.

It's also why I think Kansas City would be the absolute best place for a rookie qb to fall into especially next year if our Inuries come back alright and we resign Bowe.

Rasputin
11-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Make me Colts GM. Draft Luck, trade him to Chiefs along with multiple draft picks for Cassel & Jones. Colts fans may not like it but they arn't Chiefs fans so fuck em.

Frankie
11-07-2011, 01:01 AM
If you're the GM of the Colts, and I'm a Colts fan, and you take this path, I might be inclined to hunt you down and torture and kill you.

Why? If I can get Barkley + somebody's entire draft + their next year's 1st for Luck, I'd do it in a heartbeat.