PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF Grades the Chiefs, Week 9

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
1. Jonathan Baldwin's snaps went up to 38 this week, with 32 on pass plays. Considering we had 55 passing snaps, that's not enough.

2. Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann are innocent. They all had positive grades (although Albert gave up 3 pressures). Your culprits are Jon Asamoah and Barry Richardson, although interestingly enough their pass blocking grades are not wildly horrible. Their run blocking was terrible though. Richardson allowed 4 QB pressures, Asamoah 3.

3. One guy no one is talking about: Jake O'Connell. His pass protection was terrible at a -2.7. Blitz pickup FAIL.

4. The only guy credited with allowing a sack was Matt Cassel. Which again points to the talk that the Dolphins simply brought more guys than we could block. Coaching fail.

5. Cassel was under pressure 16 times. On those plays he ran 7 times, completed no passes, and was sacked 5 times. Get me a new QB.

6. Nobody on defense had a green rating this week. That means everyone was average at best, and there is a lot of red on the page.

7. Interestingly enough, Jovan Belcher had a nice game with 7 stops.

8. We had 0 QB pressures.

9. Nobody in this game was good in coverage. Carr and Flowers were targeted 12 times, and gave up 10 catches for 129 yards. The Dolphins didn't throw at anyone else that much, although Studebaker, DJ, Pieceofshitty and Travis Daniels all gave up one big play each.

PFF's recap:

Dolphins – Three Performances of Note

Showing Moore effort

What a turnaround for Moore in this game! Prior to Week 9, Moore’s highest passing grade was +2.0, while against the Chiefs it was +6.5. Moore was incredibly accurate with 17 of his 22 throws caught —discounting, batted passes, throwaways — with another two passes dropped, and did so without changing his aggressive approach. In fact, only two incompletions were from beyond ten yards and his 244 passing yards indicate a healthy 10.6 yards per attempt. Moore made the Chiefs pay for blitzing him, completing all five pass attempts against the blitz for 55 yards and two of his three touchdown passes. The former Panther didn’t feel any pressure all game and he responded with improved decision-making and remarkable accuracy. It’s too bad the Dolphins can’t have a perfect game in pass protection every game, because if this Moore was around every week, Chad Henne would have been long-forgotten by this point in the season.

Tight end make significant contributions

Anthony Fasano (+2.8) became the first Dolphins TE since 2008 to catch two touchdown passes in one game, when he caught them, and played a big role in the Dolphins win. After a disappointing first half of the season, Fasano turned in his best game of the year and made plays through the air and blocking in the run game. His second touchdown, at 9:55 in the second quarter, was the product of good play-design and execution as Moore rolls out to the right, freezing ILB Derrick Johnson up just long enough for the big TE to get behind him and stretch for the touchdown. Fasano is known more for his blocking than receiving skills, though, and he didn’t sacrifice the former for the latter in this game. He helped spring Bush (+2.2) for a touchdown in the third quarter with a key block on left OLB Tamba Hali (-2.4) on a reverse to his side.

Defensive standouts

Typically this spot would be reserved to discuss a poor performance or two, but when a previously winless team turns in a 31-3 road victory, it’s hard not to want to give credit rather than blame for once. In that spirit, let’s briefly look at a few standout defensive performances. DE Kendall Langford (+3.7) had his highest-graded output of the season thanks to five pressures of Matt Cassel. ILB Karlos Dansby (+2.7) was extremely active all over the field and finished with a sack, three tackles for loss, and a pair of tackles short of first-down yardage on third down, giving him a total of five defensive stops for the game. Kevin Burnett (+2.0) had his best game of the season for the second week in a row and is starting to look like the player Miami expected to get when they signed him. For those looking to find fault with the team’s first win, look to the secondary, where rookie CB Jimmy Wilson (-3.6) and veteran safety Yeremiah Bell (-1.1) combined for five penalties. Wilson’s penalties were pass interference calls he supplemented with a couple missed tackles. Bell was the victim of a poor unnecessary roughness call, but the other two were his own doing.

Chiefs: Three Performances of Note

Oh my, O’Connell

After seeing the contributions of Fasano and Clay up close and personal, have the Chiefs felt the loss of Tony Moeaki more sharply than now? It doesn’t help that their own TEs didn’t play too well in this one. Leonard Pope (-1.3) didn’t have a good game by any means, but the true offender was Jake O’Connell. O’Connell (-3.8) was graded negatively in every facet we grade players, and when you play 57 snaps and don’t perform well in any capacity, you’re likely to play a big part in a team’s loss and grace the virtual pages of our Re-focused articles, or worse, Khaled’s “Had a Bad Day” articles. Besides being a non-factor as a receiver, O’Connell allowed three pressures of Cassell in only 14 pass-block attempts and drew a holding penalty. The sting is that much more painful with Fasano’s big day on the other side.

Problems in Washington’s D, see

The Chiefs have suffered some bad performances at the safety position this year, but Donald Washington’s (-4.0) game against the Dolphins ranks up there. Washington didn’t record a tackle, but he did miss two, although one was erased through an unrelated penalty. The penalty was a stroke of luck for Washington, as his missed tackle of Bush allowed Bush to run free down the sideline for significant extra yardage all the way down near the five-yard line. He also bit on a play-fake that allowed Fasano to sneak into the back of the end zone for his first touchdown catch, uncontested. Additionally, Washington committed a costly unnecessary roughness penalty for a late hit on Bush after he was stopped for a short gain that would have led to 3rd-and-6 at the Dolphins own eight-yard line. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the recipe for an all-around poor game.

Where’s the rush?

Again, normally this paragraph would serve to remind that it’s not all bad when a team loses and that there are strong performances in almost any defeat. In this game, though, it’s far more relevant to continue discussing the poor performances than to ignore them to discuss a performance that had far less impact on the game. The root of the problem for the Chiefs in this game was their inability to get any pressure whatsoever. It’s not uncommon for the Chiefs defense to struggle to get pressure outside of Tamba Hali (-2.4), but when Hali is shut down as he was, somebody else has to step up. They did not and Moore, a QB who typically struggles under pressure, was able to sling the ball around care-free. Hali actually had more penalties called against him than he did pressures, a feat that certainly doesn’t occur very often. Despite their inability to get any pressure in this game, the Chiefs only called five blitzes. That number will need to increase if the Chiefs continue to struggle to get to the opposing quarterback.

Game Notes

- Thanks mainly to their collective perfect game in pass protection, the entire Dolphins offensive line outside of right guard Vernon Carey (-0.6) graded in the green, marking the first time right tackle Marc Colombo has done so all season.

- In 16 drop-backs under pressure, Cassel took off running seven times, absorbed five sacks, and completed none of the four passes he actually got off.

- Bush’s strong game marked the first time he’s graded in the green in back-to-back games since weeks 2-3 of 2008 season.

PFF Game Ball

Quarterbacking a winless team to a victory takes enough grit to warrant consideration for this award regardless, but Matt Moore’s impressive display erases all doubt.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-08-2011, 06:10 PM
"5. Cassel was under pressure 16 times. On those plays he ran 7 times, completed no passes, and was sacked 5 times. Get me a new QB."

Mother fucking this.

Iconic
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Cassel rape fest to come in 5...4...3...

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I've said before that O'Connell is the worst player in the entire NFL. There is absolutely nothing he brings to the team in any facet.

Five blitzes when the QB is carving your secondary apart...wow.

Where's that "Get Romeo an Extension" thread?

TheSourceX1
11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Everyone had a bad game ... players & coaches ... what we need is a divisional game vs a weaker foe & a worse QB ......... hey!!

CoMoChief
11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Cassel rape fest to come in 5...4...3...

When isn't CP a MC rape fest?

He's not good.....most of us are pissed about not having a good QB on this team.

Someone made a great point the other day....A good QB can make a bad team look good.....a bad QB can make a good team look bad.

Our KC Chiefs have the latter. And it's always going to be that way. Teams know, put a little pressure on MC, and he shits his pants.....plain n simple.

Now, there is enough blame to go around for the piss pounding this team took last Sunday. The Oline was indeed horrible, regardless of what PFF says, we all saw that game, the Oline was mostly the problem on offense. The other part of that was the playcalling. Both were unacceptable on many levels.

The defense couldn't stop the passing game, couldn't put any pressure on their QB.

I really do think the MNF game got to us...like it was a damn SB or something...because you just don't get piss pounded like that at home against the worst team in football (not named Indy) who has yet to win a game, unless 1 or 2 things..(or in this case, maybe a combo of the 2)...1 - This team was horrifically unprepared. 2 - This team wasn't focused and thought they would just run all over MIA and think it was going to be a cakewalk.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I haven't been reading all the threads. I'd like to forget about that game. Has anyone even mentioned Tamba getting fucking pwnd like a n00b in MWIII by Jake Long? I was surprised how thorough that domination was.

whoman69
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Not a coaching fail that there aren't enough to pick up a blitz. The QB is supposed to recognize that and ship protection or hit his hot route.

FAX
11-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Not a coaching fail that there aren't enough to pick up a blitz. The QB is supposed to recognize that and ship protection or hit his hot route.

Yep. That's how the other guys do it.

FAX

Caseyguyrr
11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
we fucking blow

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM

It looked to me like we weren't prepared for their blitz from a protection or a route standpoint.

It was like the Chiefs were playing Super Tecmo Bowl and the Dolphins guessed their play every time.

FAX
11-08-2011, 06:53 PM
It looked to me like we weren't prepared for their blitz from a protection or a route standpoint.

It was like the Chiefs were playing Super Tecmo Bowl and the Dolphins guessed their play every time.

Do your gif thing and lets find out.

I hereby declare that Cassel had play opportunities when they brought pressure and just didn't make them.

FAX

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Do your gif thing and lets find out.

I hereby declare that Cassel had play opportunities when they brought pressure and just didn't make them.

FAX

Nope, that shit is canceled.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Why didnt the Chargers blitz Cassel more??? Or any team for that matter?

Caseyguyrr
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM

dunno, seems like the fool-proof way to dominate the chiefs to me

BossChief
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

PLEASE tell me you didnt make a deal to have those gifs as a premium only content thingy on WPI?

You're gonna tell me that.....right?

FAX
11-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Hmmm.

Well, if I knew how to gif, I would gif the heck out of that game.

I find it very difficult to believe that, on all those pressures, Cassel had no options available to him. I could be wrong, of course, but it's pretty obvious to me that Cassel tends to panic and starts looking at the rushers rather than downfield.

FAX

ModSocks

Don't worry. They will now.

Hammock Parties
I already reviewed the game and I can tell you it's basically impossible to tell.

FAX
11-08-2011, 06:59 PM

They did. In fact, Breaston helped a great deal in that regard as he ran the slant and bailed us out in at least one key 3rd down with some awesome YAC stuff.

FAX

WV
11-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I already reviewed the game and I can tell you it's basically impossible to tell.

Why's are the GIF's cancelled?

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Why's are the GIF's cancelled?

Because I don't give a fuck, that's why.

WV
11-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Because I don't give a fuck, that's why.

Quitter.

Three7s
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Cassel needs to learn how to use the hot read. Any QB should know when a fucking blitz is coming.

FAX
11-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Cassel needs to learn how to use the hot read. Any QB should know when a ****ing blitz is coming.

He saw it a few times. On a couple of those, he checked down to a run and at least one of those had McDervish as the sole running back. He ran up the middle for about -2, I think.

FAX

Frankie
11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
3. One guy no one is talking about: Jake O'Connell. His pass protection was terrible at a -2.7. Blitz pickup FAIL.Thomas Jones, Sabby Pistachio, and O'Connell should be cut. In that order. That creates 3 openings on the roster we can fill with better players off the street.

8. We had 0 QB pressures.:banghead:

9. Nobody in this game was good in coverage. Carr and Flowers were targeted 12 times, and gave up 10 catches for 129 yards. Getting wasted until 2 AM the night before the game?

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Couple things about sundays game IMO. When the defense brings more guys than the oline can block, thats on the qb to check out of that specific play or slide your protection around. Cassel has been a starter for what 4 years, time to move on. Defense is playing with 3rd and 4th stringers on the back end, what do we expect is gonna happen. Plus the MNF game hangover, but this is the NFL and you have to get over that shit.

Anyway, this team has alot of talent. Problem is they don't have alot of depth. When you lose arguably your two best and again arguably most important playmakers in the first two games for the season it's gonna be a tough go. I know injuries happen in the NFL but when it happens to those caliber players, your team tends to go in the shitter. The fact that we won four in a row speaks to the coaching I believe. However, so does laying an egg at home with a chance to take a lead in the division.

We need a new qb, thats been stated over and over and it's obvious. One thing to remember tho is that this is, at most key spots, a very young team. Get a qb in the offseason, load up some depth, hope all our injuries come back healthy and see what happens. In the mean time don't get too worked up over it. In the end it's just football. Relax and watch this young team gain experience and hopefully win some games.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
The QB is an extension of the coaching staff.

If Cassel didn't check out to the right play maybe he wasn't properly prepared to do so.

The fact that we won four in a row speaks to the coaching I believe.

It speaks more to:

Curtis Painter, Kyle Boller, Donovan McNabb and The Miracle.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:34 PM

If Cassel didn't check out to the right play maybe he wasn't properly prepared to do so.

Maybe so, but thats something he shouldn't have to be told to do on a per game basis. That's college stuff, stuff that was gone over the first day of training camp. MLB comes thru a gap shift the line this way or that way. It's done every week by average NFL qbs.

Problem is our qb didn't play in college.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:36 PM

It speaks more to:

Curtis Painter, Kyle Boller, Donovan McNabb and The Miracle.

Dude just pick a side and stay there. I can't handle this much head spinning trying to see which side of the fence you are on from week to week.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
You have to prepare for different defenses in different ways.

We had two practices and a walkthrough on a short week. It's pretty clear to me we weren't prepared.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Dude just pick a side and stay there. I can't handle this much head spinning trying to see which side of the fence you are on from week to week.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I have never ever sat here and said I was impressed with the job Haley was doing this year.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I have never ever sat here and said I was impressed with the job Haley was doing this year.

You just seem to be up and down on them from week to week. All I was implying.

It's just hard for me to get excited or upset when we lost three of our best players and we trot a qb like Matt Cassel out there every week.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
You just seem to be up and down on them from week to week. All I was implying.

It's just hard for me to get excited or upset when we lost three of our best players and we trot a qb like Matt Cassel out there every week.

You can get excited about the team winning, as I have been, and still believe they are a bunch of frauds. I have never once believed we were going anywhere with Haley and Cassel this year.

In fact a few weeks ago I plainly stated I was ready to enjoy another season of mediocrity. Because that's what I've been doing for 20 years.

And when we beast Tebow this week I'll have fun with it.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
You can get excited about the team winning, as I have been, and still believe they are a bunch of frauds. I have never once believed we were going anywhere with Haley and Cassel this year.

In fact a few weeks ago I plainly stated I was ready to enjoy another season of mediocrity. Because that's what I've been doing for 20 years.

This is kinda how I feel. I am higher on Haley than you are but Cassel not so much. I will enjoy wins and agonize over losses but, the injuries just really took it outa me this year.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Do you think the whole team is a fraud? I tend to think we are actually a few players away from competing.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Do you think the whole team is a fraud? I tend to think we are actually a few players away from competing.

We are a few players away from competing, yet routinely get blown out.

So we are a HC and a QB away from competing.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Right now, we are 1 player away from competing.

Quarterback.

From being a legitimate superbowl favorite (as in a top 3 contender for the whole pie) I think we are probably 2 or 3, if they are the right players.

QB
RT
NT

The resto fo the pieces are there, they just need to develop IMO.

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
We are a few players away from competing, yet routinely get blown out.

So we are a HC and a QB away from competing.

So what are your thoughts on unloading picks to get one of the top qbs in this class like the Jets with Sanchez? Are we where they were the year before?

O.city
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quarterback.

From being a legitimate superbowl favorite (as in a top 3 contender for the whole pie) I think we are probably 2 or 3, if they are the right players.

QB
RT
NT

This was sorta my thinking. It's actually encouraging that we are such a young football team.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Quarterback.

QB
RT
NT

This team desperately needs a complementary pass rusher more than it needs a RT or NT.

We are pretty close but in the end I think a new head coach is going to want to bring in his own players and install his own system and we will end up building up the roster again.

Haley is not winning jack here.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
So what are your thoughts on unloading picks to get one of the top qbs in this class like the Jets with Sanchez? Are we where they were the year before?

That's not happening, so why think about it?

Cassel is going to be the QB next year and will be bitching about the same things we have been bitching about since 2009.

Statistically he is on pace to have a nearly identical season.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I still think that once Stanzi gets a chance, a lot on this team will change for the better.

There will be growing pains, but there are really only 3 quarterbacks out of this upcoming class that I think might be better than him.

Luck
Barkley
Foles

I really dont think Landry Jones is head and shoulders a better quarterback.

suzzer99
11-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Tamba was too upset about JoePa. He'll bounce back this week.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
This team desperately needs a complementary pass rusher more than it needs a RT or NT.

We are pretty close but in the end I think a new head coach is going to want to bring in his own players and install his own system and we will end up building up the roster again.

Haley is not winning jack here.

I don't think Haley goes anywhere man. With the injuries to your best players and the qb situation it's gonna be tough to get rid of him. Until Sunday the players were playing extremely hard for him.

IMO and this might be wrong so flame away at me, but coaches take too much of the blame or reward when it comes to the NFL. In the end players play. How many times have we seen a wr running wide open down the seem or on a deep flag pattern only to be missed or overthrown. Coach can't make that play. He can however put someone else in who can. That's where my beef with this coaching staff comes from.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Quarterback.

QB
RT
NT

That's really foolish.

This team does not have the depth to withstand injuries, which will invariably happen.

With a franchise QB and a difference maker at NT, you're right that 1-22 would be good enough to compete with most any team. But 23-53 is still, by and large, a horrible collection of players.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
That's not happening, so why think about it?

Cassel is going to be the QB next year and will be bitching about the same things we have been bitching about since 2009.

Statistically he is on pace to have a nearly identical season.

No way, bro.

Look at how he handles pressure.

Now, look again at our upcoming schedule and its ability to rush the passer to further expose MC.

I think that if Cassel makes it out of that alive, he will have a very loose grip on the starters job.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I still think that once Stanzi gets a chance, a lot on this team will change for the better.

There will be growing pains, but there are really only 3 quarterbacks out of this upcoming class that I think might be better than him.

Luck
Barkley
Foles

I really dont think Landry Jones is head and shoulders a better quarterback.

I'll admit that about all I have seen on the guy was in the preseason (didn't watch alot of Iowa games) but I think you might be building Stanzi up a little.

If it were me (and i've already got trashed for this in the draft forum by jd) I'd try and get Mallet from the pats. I think we messed up by not picking him last year in the second or third.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't think Haley goes anywhere man.

I didn't say he would be fired, not in this thread anyway. You'd have a pretty hard time not firing him if we lose all of those games in the killer stretch, though. What argument would there be for keeping him? That he can beat bad football teams?

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM
That's really foolish.

This team does not have the depth to withstand injuries, which will invariably happen.

With a franchise QB and a difference maker at NT, you're right that 1-22 would be good enough to compete with most any team. But 23-53 is still, by and large, a horrible collection of players.

I wouldn't say 23-53 but we def don't have the depth. But I don't think many teams could withstand injuries to the caliber players we have had this year and still be a contender.

Look at the Steelers a few years ago.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't say 23-53 but we def don't have the depth. But I don't think many teams could withstand injuries to the caliber players we have had this year and still be a contender.

Look at the Steelers a few years ago.

The Packers lost Finley, who is better than Moeaki, their #1 RB, had injuries all over the back seven and still won the SB.*

*FWIW, I don't think that's (the Packers' 10-6 plan) something to strive for, as it would be nearly impossible to replace success like that, but they have shown that you can compete at a high level even when decimated by injuries if you have enough guys in key positions.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:09 PM
That's really foolish.

another draft and free agency like the last two and that should no longer be a big problem.

We have the ammo to score with the best of them on offense (with a franchise quarterback) and a young, playmaking defense that can hold its own.

Is it just me or does my glass have a little more water in it than some of yours'?

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
The Packers lost Finley, who is better than Moeaki, their #1 RB, had injuries all over the back seven and still won the SB.

They also had a qb play at a HOF level throughout the playoffs. But I do see what you are sayin. However, their #1 RB wasn't a large part of their offense and the guys they lost on the back side weren't a difference maker like Berry.

If Woodson or Mathews goes down, they likely don't win a SB last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:12 PM
another draft and free agency like the last two and that should no longer be a big problem.

We have the ammo to score with the best of them on offense (with a franchise quarterback) and a young, playmaking defense that can hold its own.

Is it just me or does my glass have a little more water in it than some of yours'?

You are overrating our defense. That Raiders game made it look like much more of a playmaking D than what it really is, which is a bend-but-don't-break D with solid corners, a really good MLB, and one pass rusher.

A defense like that is going to get carved up by good offenses, and it has.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
They also had a qb play at a HOF level throughout the playoffs. But I do see what you are sayin. However, their #1 RB wasn't a large part of their offense and the guys they lost on the back side weren't a difference maker like Berry.

If Woodson or Mathews goes down, they likely don't win a SB last year.

They lost Woodson in the SB. He broke his collarbone.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
The Packers lost Finley, who is better than Moeaki, their #1 RB, had injuries all over the back seven and still won the SB.*

*FWIW, I don't think that's (the Packers' 10-6 plan) something to strive for, as it would be nearly impossible to replace success like that, but they have shown that you can compete at a high level even when decimated by injuries if you have enough guys in key positions.

Franchise quarterbacks keep you in any game, no matter what.

They come in and give you the ability to score...even with subpar weapons around them.

A franchise quarterback with these weapons at his disposal and a playmaking defense could compete against any team in football.

Even over a season like this one where we lost some of our best players for the year.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Oh I feel the same way, I just question our ability to get a franchise qb. Honestly I don't know what I would do if we did get one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Franchise quarterbacks keep you in any game, no matter what.

They come in and give you the ability to score...even with subpar weapons around them.

A franchise quarterback with these weapons at his disposal and a playmaking defense could compete against any team in football.

Even over a season like this one where we lost some of our best players for the year.

You're preaching to the choir about that, but where is this defense in four years, which is essentially the soonest that we'd have a franchise QB who is ready to go?

Iconic
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Has Haley ever beaten a competent team with a strong showing besides the Pitt game in 09?

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Right now the last two drafts are not looking that special.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
You are overrating our defense. That Raiders game made it look like much more of a playmaking D than what it really is, which is a bend-but-don't-break D with solid corners, a really good MLB, and one pass rusher.

Losing Berry really has hurt our defense more than I thought it would. But to be a good d in the league you have to create turnovers and pressure the qb. We can do the first when healthy but like you have stated we really need more of a passhrush. I hoped HOuston would bring that and he eventually might. This has been a tough year for rookies especially on defense, leaguewide.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Has Haley ever beaten a competent team with a strong showing besides the Pitt game in 09?

No, unless you count the MNF Chargers game.

The credibility of this entire regime is based on beating bad football teams and taking advantage of lousy QBs.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:18 PM

While I mostly agree there, I also would like to say that I think this defense is completely different with Berry.

Similar to how Baltimore and Pittsburghs defenses play without Reed/Polamalu.

I bet we had to put 30% of the defensive playbook back in the cupboard once Berry went down.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:18 PM

I know how you feel about McCluster as I'm starting to come to the darkside with you on that. But Arenas and Mo ( when healthy are greatly underappreciated on CP). This years class is tough to eval, with the lockout and all.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I know how you feel about McCluster as I'm starting to come to the darkside with you on that. But Arenas and Mo ( when healthy are greatly underappreciated on CP). This years class is tough to eval, with the lockout and all.

Arenas is a good player.

We have no idea if Berry and Moeaki can come back from their injuries.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:20 PM
No, unless you count the MNF Chargers game.

The credibility of this entire regime is based on beating bad football teams and taking advantage of lousy QBs.

Totally agree with you here. However you aren't going to beat good football teams alot in this league with a qb that can't carry you. I know this has been beat to death but it's really all that needs to be said.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Arenas is a good player.

I'd say it's pretty pessimistic to assume that Berry won't. I'm sure that Moeaki can, too, but he may very well get his dick ripped off in the Nautilus machine while doing leg curls for his rehab, so who the hell knows about him.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Arenas is a good player.

I think Mo can because he has done it before and I tend to think Berry will have a better chance to than Charles. ACL tears aren't what they used to be with the technology we have now. It's not gonna be easy by any stretch as that rehab is turrible but the good thing about it being those three go down is that they seem to have a love affair with football and they are so youn.g

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd say it's pretty pessimistic to assume that Berry won't. I'm sure that Moeaki can, too, but he may very well get his dick ripped off in the Nautilus machine while doing leg curls for his rehab, so who the hell knows about him.

This. ROFL

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
While I mostly agree there, I also would like to say that I think this defense is completely different with Berry.

Similar to how Baltimore and Pittsburghs defenses play without Reed/Polamalu.

I bet we had to put 30% of the defensive playbook back in the cupboard once Berry went down.

I think this.

I made the comparison the other day that, if the Ravens lost Reed and Rice it would be very tough for them to compete.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
You're preaching to the choir about that, but where is this defense in four years, which is essentially the soonest that we'd have a franchise QB who is ready to go?
some are just reaching their prime, others are already in it. Some are past it.

Also, the way we have drafted and maneuvered in free agency over the last two offseasons leads me to believe that this team is gonna continue to get more talented and deeper across the board.

I completely disagree.

Relatively speaking, of course.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I think this.

I made the comparison the other day that, if the Ravens lost Reed and Rice it would be very tough for them to compete.

and their second receiving option.

O.city
No one replied or said anything about it so I'll ask again: What would be everyone's thought about trying to get Mallett from the Pats? You could keep most of this years draft to add more talent and get a guy that already is better and has more potential than our qb does.

Again I like some aspects of this and don't like some. Just throwing it out there.

O.city
and their second receiving option.

Very true. Take away Rice and Dickson and Flaaco struggles.

Iconic
11-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Totally agree with you here. However you aren't going to beat good football teams alot in this league with a qb that can't carry you. I know this has been beat to death but it's really all that needs to be said.

See Alex Smith for further assistance.
See the Chiefs 2010 NFL season with Charlie Weis and Matt Cassel.
See the Patriots 2008 NFL season with Josh McDaniels and Matt Cassel.

A good coaching staff can make any offense be productive.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM

How many good teams have the 9ers beat this year? We know about the 2010 Chiefs so just by you using that example I question your logic.

And we weren't talking about an offense being productive. We were talking about beating a good team in the league. It took Flaaco going Montana for the Ravens to go into Pitt and win.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
How many good teams have the 9ers beat this year? We know about the 2010 Chiefs so just by you using that example I question your logic.

And we weren't talking about an offense being productive. We were talking about beating a good team in the league. It took Flaaco going Montana for the Ravens to go into Pitt and win.

The 49ers have beaten tons of good teams this year.

The Bengals in Cinci, the Eagles across the country in Philly (winning there is impressive considering) and the Lions in Detroit. They shitbeat the Bucs, who are a decent team.

The 49ers are a complete team right now and I think they are built to do some real damage in January.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:43 PM

The Bengals in Cinci, the Eagles across the country in Philly (winning there is impressive considering) and the Lions in Detroit. They shitbeat the Bucs, who are a decent team.

The 49ers are a complete team right now and I think they are built to do some real damage in January.

Not with Alex Smith at qb. Sorry but I just don't think we will see a team win a superbowl again without an elite qb.

And I think the Bengals are this years Chiefs. They haven't beaten anyone yet either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM

The 49ers are a 90s Chiefs clone. You couldn't make that team any more like the 90s Chiefs. You should know how this script ends.

Iconic
11-08-2011, 08:48 PM

9ers have beat Cincy, Philly, Tampa Bay, Detriot, and had a VERY close one against Dallas. These are all competent teams and one of which has already proven they can kick our ass. They've done this all in spite of having Alex Smith as their QB.

I'm logically sane thank you. If Haley can't get our offense to produce there's a huge problem with HIM. He has received Le'ron McClain, Steve Breaston, a new gem in Battle, our first round draft pick Baldwin, and Hudson/Gaither. I realize Jamaal and Moeaki are out but a good Coach will make changes when injuries occur. Which is why I point to the 2008 Patriot season.

O.city
The 49ers are a 90s Chiefs clone. You couldn't make that team any more like the 90s Chiefs. You should know how this script ends.

Bingo. They run the ball, play good d, and tell the qb not to fuck up too bad. Remind you of anything?

BossChief
No one replied or said anything about it so I'll ask again: What would be everyone's thought about trying to get Mallett from the Pats? You could keep most of this years draft to add more talent and get a guy that already is better and has more potential than our qb does.

Again I like some aspects of this and don't like some. Just throwing it out there.
Ive said this the last few times Ive chosen to respond to the possibility.

For NE to want to trade Mallett, they would have to be getting a premium on the pick they used to select him...at least a full round higher and then some.

OR

They would also have to look at him as a guy they can live without in the future and a guy that has problems as anticipated.

Now, onto us...

During the draft, we didnt feel he was worth even a third rounder....so, something would have to have changed between now and the time of the previous draft that made him worth a lot more to us.

I would have to believe that if NE thinks highly of Mallett, they would have to be demanding a early second rounder at worst and a mid to late first at best and I dont think that would be worth it.

Ryan has a big timer arm ( I honestly don't think its head and shoulders higher than Stanzis, though), but doesn't do very well under pressure, isn't exceptionally accurate, is a Statue of Bledsoe back there and has real questions about a serious drug problem that may or may not exist.

For me, Id rather make a move for one of the kids in this upcoming draft and make a fucking statement that "you are our kid and we are gonna develop you into a great quarterback"

IMO a trade for Mallett would be only slightly better than trading for Cassel.

We need OUR OWN KID, NOT SOMEBODY ELSES FOR THE NEXT GO AROUND, PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE!!!!

The Bad Guy
11-08-2011, 08:49 PM

I think they are a dangerous team. I could be very wrong, but I think their coaching takes them far.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:49 PM
9ers have beat Cincy, Philly, Tampa Bay, Detriot, and had a VERY close one against Dallas. These are all competent teams and one of which has already proven they can kick our ass. They've done this all in spite of having Alex Smith as their QB.

I'm logically sane thank you. If Haley can't get our offense to produce there's a huge problem with HIM. He has received Le'ron McClain, Steve Breaston, a new gem in Battle, our first round draft pick Baldwin, and Hudson/Gaither. I realize Jamal and Moeaki are out but a good Coach will make changes when injuries occur. Which is why I point to the 2008 Patriot season.

I agree with you man about the guys we have on offense. We have the weapons to have a top 10 offense. We just don't have the qb and that's really all that matters.

Iconic
11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I agree with you man about the guys we have on offense. We have the weapons to have a top 10 offense. We just don't have the qb and that's really all that matters.

If a QB is all that matters then the 08 Pats would have lost every single game because they had the same guy under center that we have now.

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Ive said this the last few times Ive chosen to respond to the possibility.

For NE to want to trade Mallett, they would have to be getting a premium on the pick they used to select him...at least a full round higher and then some.

OR

They would also have to look at him as a guy they can live without in the future and a guy that has problems as anticipated.

Now, onto us...

During the draft, we didnt feel he was worth even a third rounder....so, something would have to have changed between now and the time of the previous draft that made him worth a lot more to us.

I would have to believe that if NE thinks highly of Mallett, they would have to be demanding a early second rounder at worst and a mid to late first at best and I dont think that would be worth it.

Ryan has a big timer arm ( I honestly don't think its head and shoulders higher than Stanzis, though), but doesn't do very well under pressure, isn't exceptionally accurate, is a Statue of Bledsoe back there and has real questions about a serious drug problem that may or may not exist.

For me, Id rather make a move for one of the kids in this upcoming draft and make a ****ing statement that "you are our kid and we are gonna develop you into a great quarterback"

IMO a trade for Mallett would be only slightly better than trading for Cassel.

We need OUR OWN KID, NOT SOMEBODY ELSES FOR THE NEXT GO AROUND, PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE!!!!

Man not to be blunt, but the Stanzi thing is getting a little to crazy. His arm is not close to Malletts. I also want our own, but there's no way we trade up to get one of the ones in this years draft.

I thought he was pretty accurate in college. Not arguing with you just thought he was.

ILChief
11-08-2011, 08:57 PM

I'd rather go with Stanzi than Mallett

O.city
11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
If a QB is all that matters then the 08 Pats would have lost every single game because they had the same guy under center that we have now.

To drive home my point that you can't beat great teams very often without a great qb, look at the Pats schedule that year and who they beat. It's very Chiefs 2010 esque.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd rather go with Stanzi than Mallett

Id also rather go with Stanzi than all but 3 (maybe 4) of the quarterbacks in this upcoming class.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Id also rather go with Stanzi than all but 3 (maybe 4) of the quarterbacks in this upcoming class.

I'd atleast like to see him play a little this year.

If we compete for the rest of the year and win 7-9 games with the injuries we have had this year, I think it would be a mistake not to push in the chips and try and get one of the top prospects in this years class.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd atleast like to see him play a little this year.

If we compete for the rest of the year and win 7-9 games with the injuries we have had this year, I think it would be a mistake not to push in the chips and try and get one of the top prospects in this years class.

there are very few of us that wouldn't.

ILChief
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Doubt it happens this year unless Cassel gets hurt.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM

The more I see of Luck and Barkley, the more I think trading up to get one of them would be worth it.

Having a legit franchise guy IMO would be worth more than the production you would get out of the picks you gave up.

Iconic
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
To drive home my point that you can't beat great teams very often without a great qb, look at the Pats schedule that year and who they beat. It's very Chiefs 2010 esque.

They beat 5 teams that were .500 or higher. Even if it's not the toughest schedule how confident would you be if Haley were your HC in that situation. I'd have thrown in the towel the second I saw Brady go down. Haley is just an average HC. If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't have made Bill fucking Muir our OC...

Okie_Apparition
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
What gem did you have in mind for Battle

BossChief
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
The more I see of Luck and Barkley, the more I think trading up to get one of them would be worth it.

Having a legit franchise guy IMO would be worth more than the production you would get out of the picks you gave up.

Id give up a whole draft for either one of them...even though Barkley can be a bit of Jeykl and Hyde.

It would be the most exciting moment in the history of sports, for me.

Shit, Im honestly already prepared for us to eventually take one and also prepared for him to be a bust.

Id be totally fine with that as long as they tried again....and again....and again

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Id give up a whole draft for either one of them.

It would be the most exciting moment in the history of sports, for me.

Shit, Im honestly already prepared for us to eventually take one and also prepared for him to be a bust.

Id be totally fine with that as long as they tried again....and again....and again

I know some here are adamantly against it but I would give up a whole draft as well. Prob gonna take more than that, but I would call up the Gm of the team with the number one pick and open the pocketbook.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Might get some flack for this but I don't give a fuck really.

If Charles, Berry, and Moeaki were healthy this year and we had a Matt Ryan esq qb we could compete for the AFC title. I think with a legit qb we are that close.

Thats why I'll argue with anyone that if it were me I'd go get Luck.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Might get some flack for this but I don't give a fuck really.

If Charles, Berry, and Moeaki were healthy this year and we had a Matt Ryan esq qb we could compete for the AFC title. I think with a legit qb we are that close.

Thats why I'll argue with anyone that if it were me I'd go get Luck.

Bro, the Luck dream is over.

NO WAY its gonna happen.

If we are gonna have a legit discussion about trading up for a QB, we should be talking about Barkley.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:30 PM
If I'm the Chiefs GM, which some of you will surely say thank the lord you aren't, this is my offseason.

Free Agency:
Resign Bowe and Carr, Try and sign Grubbs from Baltimore to play LG and let Hudson play C, Michael Griffen or LaRon Landry are S free agents if you aren't sold on Lewis.

If Berry is healthy he is athletic enough to play either S position if you brought in one or the other from that list.

Hell Finley from GB is a FA after this year, although likely to get resigned by the Pack I'd throw money at him. He's gonna be a star.

Draft: Figure out which qb I liked the best and go get him.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Bro, the Luck dream is over.

NO WAY its gonna happen.

If we are gonna have a legit discussion about trading up for a QB, we should be talking about Barkley.

Likely it is. I'm not giving up tho. I'm not sold INDy is drafting him if they get the first pick.

Nightfyre
11-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Right... see Josh McDaniels with the Rams in 2011... Oh wait, this anecdotal evidence doesn't support your theory. Seriously, the evidence suggests that the franchise QB is more important than coaching. Quit talking out of your asshole please and thanks.

milkman
11-08-2011, 09:33 PM

The Packers won last year because of one thing, and they are winning this year because of that same thing.

Aaron Rodgers.

The Packer D this year is giving up a shit ton of points, but Rodgers keeps putting up more.

Alex Smith is not going to get a team to the SB.

As Hamas stated, these 9ers are the 90s Chiefs.

I'm logically sane thank you. If Haley can't get our offense to produce there's a huge problem with HIM. He has received Le'ron McClain, Steve Breaston, a new gem in Battle, our first round draft pick Baldwin, and Hudson/Gaither. I realize Jamaal and Moeaki are out but a good Coach will make changes when injuries occur. Which is why I point to the 2008 Patriot season.

Cincy hasn't beaten anyone, Philly is a 3-5 team.

Tampa might be good, but they also got their shit stomped in by Chicago, was it?

And we really don't know for sure what the Lions are either.

For now, you can't really point to any one of those teams as some kind of measure of the 9ers greatness.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:35 PM
The Packers won last year because of one thing, and they are winning this year because of that same thing.

Aaron Rodgers.

The Packer D this year is giving up a shit ton of points, but Rodgers keeps putting up more.

Tampa might be good, but they also got their shit stomped in by Chicago, was it?

For now, you can't really point to any one of those teams as some kind of measure of the 9ers greatness.

As usual, IMO, nice take Milkman.

lcarus
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
We need to give every opponent's TE the same treatment we gave Gates, no matter who they are. Otherwise pieces of shit like Anthony Fasano will continue to rape us.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Aaron Rodgers.

I'll completely disagree about that. The Bears beat the Bucs in London by 6 I think.

They won 3 out of those 4 games on the road. Traveling to the East Coast and winning every single road game on your schedule is impressive.

Chiefnj2
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Going on the road to the east coast and winning multiple games is big. The 49ers might not win the Super Bowl, but it's pretty amazing what a new coach can do.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
The 49ers might not win the Super Bowl, but it's pretty amazing what a new coach can do.

Pretty amazing job Harbaugh has done so far, and just shows how bad Singletary was because they are basically the same team.

But ive got to agree, no way in hell Alex Smith carries a team to a SB. Not a playmaker.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2011, 09:55 PM
That team is 30th in passing. LOL

They are basically last year's Chiefs with a better defense.

Frankie
11-08-2011, 10:22 PM
So we are a HC and a QB away from competing.We don't have a HC problem. We have a HC handcuffed with a mediocre QB problem. This one is on Pioli, not Haley.

This team desperately needs a complementary pass rusher more than it needs a RT or NT. Agreed. But our RT need is only second in a photo finish.

Luck
Barkley
Foles

I really dont think Landry Jones is head and shoulders a better quarterback.I'm not impressed by Foles. Believe me I have tried to be impressed by him. Landry Jones has impressed me enough every time I had a chance to see him, which is not many.

This team does not have the depth to withstand injuries, which will invariably happen.The best point of the thread.

I completely disagree.

Relatively speaking, of course.WTF?!!!:LOL:

I'd rather go with Stanzi than Mallettbut we have to see Stanzi play first. He is inactive every week. What's up with that? We have T-Jones, O'Connel, and Piss-the-belly taking up room on the roster and we can't dress up Stanzi to at least send him in late in a ranaway game?!
Id give up a whole draft for either one of them...even though Barkley can be a bit of Jeykl and Hyde.Most years I would disagree with this. But we may have enough starting talent in place that going that aggressively after someone like Luck may be warranted. I just wish he wasn't such a mucus machine! ;) I'd just keep my fingers crossed that Gaither would get healthy enough to topple Richardson, Houston would provide the complimentary pass rush, and/or I could get some FAs signed at S, RT, OLB.
I like Barkley a lot too, but I wouldn't do an entire draft on him.

milkman
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I've seen Landry Jones 3 times this year, and one other time last year, and I have been highly unimpressed with him.

Foles has a slow release, but a good QB coach can work out a couple of mechanical issues which will improve the release, but I really like the competitiveness he brings.

BossChief
11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
I've seen Landry Jones 3 times this year, and one other time last year, and I have been highly unimpressed with him.

Foles has a slow release, but a good QB coach can work out a couple of mechanical issues which will improve the release, but I really like the competitiveness he brings.

I see Foles as the guy we can probably stand pat on and take when we pick in the first round and a guy Zorn can probably improve the most of any of these kids.

Ive watched some of this Griffin kid and he could be the real deal, too.

He is slowly creeping up my list the more he shows his ability to be a pocket type passer and not just a gimmick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
The 9ers were definitely wise to take my boy, Aldon Smth. Dude is straight up beasting as a rusher right now. 6.5 sacks through 8 games.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2011, 01:27 AM
The 9ers were definitely wise to take my boy, Aldon Smth. Dude is straight up beasting as a rusher right now. 6.5 sacks through 8 games.

***BLAINE GABBERT TROLLPOST***

aturnis
11-09-2011, 03:26 AM
9ers have beat Cincy, Philly, Tampa Bay, Detriot, and had a VERY close one against Dallas. Which is why I point to the 2008 Patriot season.

First of all, the the only teams you mentioned the Niners beating that even looks remotely impressive are the Lions and the Bengals, and they're playing a rookie QB. The rest have had Incredibly underwhelming season to this point. Also, the Pats won 11 games that year against a very soft schedule despite Cassel, who look ehhh with a WR corps that had been the most prolific in the history of the game just the year before. Cassel did the same there as he does here.

aturnis
11-09-2011, 03:29 AM

Hell, at least compared to the QB's from last year's draft who have played, I think only Newton and Dalton are better than Stanzi. I do though think Dalton reminds me of Stanzi.

aturnis
11-09-2011, 03:32 AM
They beat 5 teams that were .500 or higher. Even if it's not the toughest schedule how confident would you be if Haley were your HC in that situation. I'd have thrown in the towel the second I saw Brady go down. Haley is just an average HC. If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't have made Bill ****ing Muir our OC...

All they had to do to "tailor" the offense to Cassel was throw out any passing play beyond 10-15yds. Not joking.

Bob Dole
11-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Bob Dole was as under the weather as the team was and didn't even manage to watch the entire first half. Did they ever start moving Hali around as in the previous games, or just leave him across from Long to continue to get stoned all day?

FAX
11-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Bob Dole was as under the weather as the team was and didn't even manage to watch the entire first half. Did they ever start moving Hali around as in the previous games, or just leave him across from Long to continue to get stoned all day?

They moved him. But, if he wasn't getting Long, he was getting double-teamed on the other side. Chipped sometimes - even when he was on Long's side, now that I think on it. Their plan was to nullify Hali and they did a very good job.

That's why I don't understand Romeo's thinking very much. Anyone could see that they were dedicated to taking Hali away but Romeo didn't adjust and mix up the rush packages. I can only assume that he didn't think he could on account of our completely injury savaged secondary which was playing like those dudes standing next Custer while he was trying to surrender.

FAX THE ATTENTIVE

Nightfyre
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
So the key to passing on the Chiefs is to bullseye Hali.... makes sense. I wonder if Romeo can adjust the scheme to compensate for teams doing that in the future. Granted, he is confined by the shitty safety play...

The Bad Guy
11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
First of all, the the only teams you mentioned the Niners beating that even looks remotely impressive are the Lions and the Bengals, and they're playing a rookie QB. The rest have had Incredibly underwhelming season to this point. Also, the Pats won 11 games that year against a very soft schedule despite Cassel, who look ehhh with a WR corps that had been the most prolific in the history of the game just the year before. Cassel did the same there as he does here.

Philly is a very talented team that's difficult to play across the country.

Beating Tampa 34-0 is impressive.

Winning all your games on the road, when they've had to travel across the country for most of them is impressive.

MahiMike
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I haven't been reading all the threads. I'd like to forget about that game. Has anyone even mentioned Tamba getting ****ing pwnd like a n00b in MWIII by Jake Long? I was surprised how thorough that domination was.

I know, right? Why didn't he move to the other side? Or maybe he did and was just as ineffective. Miami's strengths just matched up well against our weaknesses (i.e., TE vs S).

Frosty
11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Miami's strengths just matched up well against our weaknesses (i.e., TE vs S).

Just wait until the NE game.Yikes!