PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports STL Cards name Mike Matheny manager

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-13-2011, 05:08 PM
jonmorosiJon Morosi

#STLCards name Mike Matheny manager.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Wow. I'm really shocked by that, but I think it's an excellent decision. Out of the box thinking, for sure, but Matheny is a damned good baseball mind.

O.city
11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Wow. I'm really shocked by that, but I think it's an excellent decision. Out of the box thinking, for sure, but Matheny is a damned good baseball mind.

This. I liked him as a player and he is a damn smart baseball guy.

Marcellus
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, I like the idea at this point. Interesting.

Rams Fan
11-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Ballsy, Mo.

I like it.

Rams Fan
11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I think this was the right move, as would hiring Oquendo or Francona would have been.

Nothing to complain about here.

Braincase
11-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Pat Matheny named Musical Director.

kcpasco
11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey so this is what a competent organization looks like.

Rams Fan
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey so this is what a competent organization looks like.

:spock:

Hiring a person without any coaching experience? Uh, okay.

Not saying it's a bad move...

Hammock Parties
11-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Maybe the Chiefs could hire him away if it's not too late. He can't do worse than losing to Tebow.

DJ's left nut
11-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Not the hire I'd have made, but it calls for one of my favorite quotes:

I confess that there are several parts of this [hire] which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them. For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise.”

-- Ben Franklin on The Constitution.

It's not the choice I'd have made, but it's a good choice on its own merits. It's certainly defensible enough that I will get behind him 100%, give him some time to learn the ropes and let him succeed or fail over a couple of seasons before I start to write the book on him.

Good luck, Mike. You have the best job in baseball; don't fuck it up.

veist
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I like the move, just on its own I like it and considering he should have a lot of familiarity/comfort with the current staff is a bonus.

jd1020
11-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I have to believe Francona said no since it seemed to be between Matheny and Francona at the end.

whoman69
11-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I have to believe Francona said no since it seemed to be between Matheny and Francona at the end.

I don't know where you're hearing that. The Cardinals didn't even want to announce that he had been interviewed. IMO Francona would have been one of the lower candidates on my list because of his health and the fact he lost the Red Sox clubhouse last year. Don't think he has the energy for the job right now.

whoman69
11-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I'd have to say my biggest objection would be that he doesn't have enough of a coaching pedigree. I think catchers make the best managers.

jd1020
11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't know where you're hearing that. The Cardinals didn't even want to announce that he had been interviewed. IMO Francona would have been one of the lower candidates on my list because of his health and the fact he lost the Red Sox clubhouse last year. Don't think he has the energy for the job right now.

"SI.com's Jon Heyman reports (on Twitter) that the Cardinals are very high on Matheny, and the race appears to be down to him and Terry Francona."

mnchiefsguy
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I think Matheny can turn into an excellent hire. He has a very good baseball mind. If the club can get Puhols to sign and Wainwright comes back healthy, they will be right in the mix again. If he can keep the success rolling, he could be in the dugout for a long, long time. I think management is thinking long time, that Metheny might stick around for 10 years or more. Francona might have been viewed, right or wrong, as someone who may not have stuck around for the long term.

Royal Fanatic
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd have to say my biggest objection would be that he doesn't have enough of a coaching pedigree. I think catchers make the best managers.
Really?

After watching Bob Boone, Tony Pena, and John Wathan fail as managers of the Royals, I'm not so sure. However, Ned Yost seems to be a cut above those three.

I suppose Yankee fans were pretty happy with Joe Torre's managerial career and Giant fans are probably happy with Bob Brenly, so maybe you have a point.

milkman
11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Really?

After watching Bob Boone, Tony Pena, and John Wathan fail as managers of the Royals, I'm not so sure. However, Ned Yost seems to be a cut above those three.

I suppose Yankee fans were pretty happy with Joe Torre's managerial career and Giant fans are probably happy with Bob Brenly, so maybe you have a point.

Mike Socia.

rico
11-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I like the move, just on its own I like it and considering he should have a lot of familiarity/comfort with the current staff is a bonus.

This.... I like the move... so does my entire household.

DJ's left nut
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM

A) Heyman is always, without fail, completely full of shit.

B) All accounts were that somehow, someway, Matheny has been in the driver's seat for this job for the better part of the last week.

I don't think Francona declined. I don't think he was offered at all. Mozeliak has more gas in the organization than I thought he did; this was clearly his hire.

tk13
11-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Terrible hire. Jason Kendall should be available soon. He's your guy. Seriously.