PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Force Indy's hand in the draft

CanadaKC
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Polian will have to decide on whether to draft a QB who is NFL ready NOW...
vs. keeping the HOF'er he has who still wants to play a couple more seasons...and wants to get PAID for it. This Pioli's last stand...offer Indy two 1st rounders for Luck (the Chiefs are a mile under the cap..arey the not?).
The rookie salary scale is much better since the last collective agreement...
Cassel's contract is up as well...it makes sense for all parties right? I'm not just being a homer or a suck-for-luck guy...what do you think?

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Gonna take more then 2 first round picks for luck.

Urc Burry
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
No way we win the bidding war for Luck. Someone will make a ridiculous offer that the chiefs would never match

FlaChief58
11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Whoever get's the first pick would be crazy to pass on Luck. I would love to have had him play in red & gold, but it ain't gonna happen

CanadaKC
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm sure Manning will dictate all that happens on draft day....seriously. He'll tell the Colts exactly what to do...he expects loyalty. he deserves it.

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I think Luck is a great prospect, but after watching more and more of him I don't think there is as much difference in him and Barkley than people think.

Iconic
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Draft luck. Rerun of what they have done with Manning. End.

Manning being injured at age 35 and them loosing every game has really been the best thing for them since winning a SuperBowl. If they play this correctly they can continue their dynasty with Luck and trade off Manning when he's 36. Netting at least a 1st or 2nd. Their fate is truly in their hands right now...

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Draft luck. Rerun of what they have done with Manning. End.

Manning being injured at age 35 and them loosing every game has really been the best thing for them since winning a SuperBowl. If they play this correctly they can continue their dynasty with Luck and trade off Manning when he's 36. Netting at least a 1st or 2nd. Their fate is truly in their hands right now...

This. There is no way they are trading that first pick.

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Lol why we would trade for a qb when we don't have anybody to protect him? Keep cassel and draft a couple of OL and instead if wasting it on a qb who is just gonna bust anyway probably.

jd1020
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
This. There is no way they are trading that first pick.

They may not get the first pick if they are just loosing games.

RealSNR
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
vs. keeping the HOF'er he has who still wants to play a couple more seasons...and wants to get PAID for it. This Pioli's last stand...offer Indy two 1st rounders for Luck (the Chiefs are a mile under the cap..arey the not?).
Cassel's contract is up as well...it makes sense for all parties right? I'm not just being a homer or a suck-for-luck guy...what do you think?Cassel has like... 3 more years on his contract

Three7s
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Lol why we would trade for a qb when we don't have anybody to protect him? Keep cassel and draft a couple of OL and instead if wasting it on a qb who is just gonna bust anyway probably.
The Packers don't have anyone to protect Rodgers but he seems to do fine.

RealSNR
11-14-2011, 07:11 PM
They may not get the first pick if they are just loosing games.They'll have to tighten those games

Consistent1
I don't think it will be a problem for either Manning (if he can return), or Luck. Luck gets the best possible contract and doesn't necessarily get thrown to the wolves. At this point Manning knows it won't last forever, if he doesn't retire.

RealSNR
Lol why we would trade for a qb when we don't have anybody to protect him? Keep cassel and draft a couple of OL and instead if wasting it on a qb who is just gonna bust anyway probably.From one troll artist to another, I say to you that your art knows no bounds

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm starting to go the other way with the sit behind a guy for a few years. Look at what all the rookie qbs are doing in the league.

Best way to learn something is to do it. Hell even if you fail you learn it better.

Iconic
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/bjz88.gif

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
The Packers don't have anyone to protect Rodgers but he seems to do fine.

Oh I'm sorry, now every qb has to be as good as Aaron Rodgers or they suck. Wow.

kcchiefsus
11-14-2011, 07:19 PM

You're a fucking idiot.

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
L.A you got one on the line.

REEL HIM IN>

tredadda
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
If it only takes two 1st rounders to get Luck, why would Indy take ours? Almost any team that needs a QB will pony that up for Luck. The only ways we get Luck is if he refuses to play for Indy or Indy trades the pick and we offer more than anyone else. The fact is we are not going to get him. We should strive for Barkley instead (assuming he declares)

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
You're a fucking idiot.

Oh really, why is that? I'd rather see my qb succeed than fail, I guess you don't.

jd1020
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
If it only takes two 1st rounders to get Luck, why would Indy take ours? Almost any team that needs a QB will pony that up for Luck. The only ways we get Luck is if he refuses to play for Indy or Indy trades the pick and we offer more than anyone else. The fact is we are not going to get him. We should strive for Barkley instead (assuming he declares)

There is no "only way," there isn't a way.

Cornstock
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
If Indianapolis knows whats good for them they realize there are more problems with the team than just missing Manning. I could see a high-risk high-reward scenario in which they trade Manning for some nice draft picks a la 49ers trading Montana away when they had Steve Young waiting in the ropes (I don't think 2 firsts are out of the question seeing what happened with Carson Palmer). Then go ahead and take Luck, and start over with a new core of first rounders.

They did it with Peyton back when he was drafted and built the entire team around him. But they would have a head start on that with the additional first round picks they would get for trading him.

This may be too "Patriot way-ee" for Indy to stomach in that they are trading away good players not yet out of their prime, but a wise decision for the future nonetheless.

jd1020
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
If Indianapolis knows whats good for them they realize there are more problems with the team than just missing Manning. I could see a high-risk high-reward scenario in which they trade Manning for some nice draft picks a la 49ers trading Montana away when they had Steve Young waiting in the ropes (I don't think 2 firsts are out of the question seeing what happened with Carson Palmer). Then go ahead and take Luck, and start over with a new core of first rounders.

They did it with Peyton back when he was drafted and built the entire team around him. But they would have a head start on that with the additional first round picks they would get for trading him.

This may be too "Patriot way-ee" for Indy to stomach in that they are trading away good players not yet out of their prime, but a wise decision for the future nonetheless.

If Indy knows anything, it's the importance of the QB.

tredadda
11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

^This

Backwards Masking
11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I'He'll tell the Colts exactly what to do...he expects loyalty. he deserves it.

you mean like Favre?

lcarus
11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't really give a flying shit about Luck or Manning. I just wanna see Dick Stanzi get a shot. I'm officially on the Stanzi bandwagon. **** it.

jd1020
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't really give a flying shit about Luck or Manning. I just wanna see Dick Stanzi get a shot. I'm officially on the Stanzi bandwagon. **** it.

That wagon hasn't left the station yet. He still wont be playing.

Dave Lane
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I think Luck is a great prospect, but after watching more and more of him I don't think there is as much difference in him and Barkley than people think.

Of what I've seen of Barkley the gulf between the two is vast.

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I really don't see the point in playing Palko. What's he bring to the table?

tredadda
11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree. Start Stanzi and see what he has (although this is a bad stretch to show it) and if he doesn't then get Barkley if he declares.

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Of what I've seen of Barkley the gulf between the two is vast.

My point was more that Luck hasn't played very well as of late and has actually had a couple pretty bad games in big time spots this year.

jd1020
I really don't see the point in playing Palco. What's he bring to the table?

No idea. This Palko guy, however...

O.city
No idea. This Palko guy, however...

Come on man. My bad tho.

O.city
11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Fixed it.

It's just when I think of him I think of Shane Falco so it messes me up.

lcarus
That wagon hasn't left the station yet. He still wont be playing.

Who will be Palko's backup?

jd1020
Who will be Palko's backup?

Arenas. We are gonna play like the Broncos and not pass.

aturnis
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Cassel's contract is up as well...it makes sense for all parties right? I'm not just being a homer or a suck-for-luck guy...what do you think?

Why exactly can't the Colts have their cake and eat it too?

Cornstock
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
If Indy knows anything, it's the importance of the QB.

Exactly why they would be drafting the best quarterback prospect since, well, Peyton Manning. Plus getting a nice support group of first round talent around Luck. This would make them competitive for the next 10 years, while keeping Manning around would do so for probably 3 max. But there is so much wrong with that team besides QB that even with Manning they wouldn't have a chance at another Super Bowl run.

lcarus
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Arenas. We are gonna play like the Broncos and not pass.

LOL. Seriously though...they gotta activate Stanzi or sign some scrub. Hopefully it isn't the latter...

Rain Man
11-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Why do people keep thinking that it's either Manning OR Luck in Indy? The best thing that could happen for all parties would be for Manning to start two more years and teach Luck everything he knows.

MahiMike
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Adam Schefter said the going rate to trade up is 2 #1's and 2 #2's.

Polian is too smart to let Luck get away. Manning would be pissed but too bad. Every player stays too long. I actually see Manning taking over as GM like Elway.

FloridaMan88
11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Why do people keep thinking that it's either Manning OR Luck in Indy? The best thing that could happen for all parties would be for Manning to start two more years and teach Luck everything he knows.

That would be a lot of $$$ tied up in the QB position between Manning's contract and Luck's contract. I realize Luck's rookie contract wouldn't be what the #1 overall picks contracts have been in the past with the new rookie wage scale, but it would still take up significant cap space.

jd1020
That would be a lot of $$$ tied up in the QB position between Manning's contract and Luck's contract. I realize Luck's rookie contract wouldn't be what the #1 overall picks contracts have been in the past with the new rookie wage scale, but still.

Luck will be making a whopping 4-5mil a year. WOW!!!!!

BillSelfsTrophycase

The fact people are still falling for this a day later is freaking epic

Well done sir.

O.city
11-14-2011, 08:17 PM
For 2 1's and 2 2's, I would get very interested.

tredadda
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
For 2 1's and 2 2's, I would get very interested.

So would I and most likely real life GM's and owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder (and Al Davis had he still been alive). Question is would Pioli? Also how much extra would we be willing to give up in a bidding war if other teams are also willing to pony up two 1sts and two 2nds.

whoman69
11-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm sure Manning will dictate all that happens on draft day....seriously. He'll tell the Colts exactly what to do...he expects loyalty. he deserves it.

You really think a 36 year old QB coming off 2 surguries that cost him the season is in a position to demand anything. If the Colts are smart they draft Luck and play him behind Manning. Manning is going to have to drop some reps in practice. The starter should get the majority of reps, not all of them.

whoman69
11-14-2011, 08:58 PM
The fact people are still falling for this a day later is freaking epic

Well done sir.

Don't feed the trolls

Hammock Parties
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I actually see Manning taking over as GM like Elway.

LMAO

He has like $200 million in the bank. Why would he take a GM job making a million a year busting his butt.

KC native
11-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Hasn't Luck's dad insinuated that there are teams Andrew won't play for?

If that's right, then I could totally see the Colts being one of those teams. If you're Andrew Luck what's better for you long term, sitting 2 years behind Peyton and only having one year before your rookie deal is up or starting from day 1 so after year 3 (if you're everything you're supposed to be) you get a giant contract?

Ming the Merciless
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM

If that's right, then I could totally see the Colts being one of those teams.

I could too, would you want to play in Manning's shadow your WHOLE career?

On the flip side, manning could train him......

Titty Meat
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
LMAO

He has like $200 million in the bank. Why would he take a GM job making a million a year busting his butt.

The failed Dane McCloud argument.

ChiefsCountry
11-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Manning will go the tv route.

Nightfyre
11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
We should just call the Colts and ask what the price is to move up a slot or two. I mean, we have chips to play with. Carr, Bowe, Albert, Dorsey they could all appeal to the colts, IMO.

If Manning has his way, they will end up drafting Kalil anyway.

Ebolapox
11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
I would cut off my left arm if we traded up to draft luck.

CanadaKC
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
so I guess as long as Manning gets his 28-million dollar signing bonus...the colts will opt out of his 5-year...90-mill contract after next season. that's the only way.

Mr. Laz
11-14-2011, 10:34 PM
No way we win the bidding war for Luck. Someone will make a ridiculous offer that the chiefs would never match
yep

Titty Meat
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
1st, 2nd, next years 2nd, and Glenn Dorsey.

Psyko Tek
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM

1 Superbowl?
toss him to the curb get the next thing
this guy could be manning @.0
gotta go forward

CanadaKC
11-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Can you imagine Manning tutoring Luck? That's just sick. One of the all time greats helping out a kid who already has the tools to be great. FU INDY!!!

MMXcalibur
11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Christ I hate the Colts...

They kick the ass out of most of the NFL for 10-12 years and then suck shit on an epic level on the exact year one of the top QB prospects in god knows how long comes out so they can continue their reign of terror.

F**k you, Indy.

Renegade
11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Did anyone see the ticker on MNF that said Manning would be "OK" with the Colts drafting a QB in round 1? The ground work has been done, the Colts have succeeded in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes.

King_Chief_Fan
11-15-2011, 07:31 AM

I think you drink too much.
The Chiefs are not going to draft a QB unless Pioli is fired.
Cassel will be under center in 2012.

King_Chief_Fan
11-15-2011, 07:33 AM

If that's right, then I could totally see the Colts being one of those teams. If you're Andrew Luck what's better for you long term, sitting 2 years behind Peyton and only having one year before your rookie deal is up or starting from day 1 so after year 3 (if you're everything you're supposed to be) you get a giant contract?

and you think the Chiefs is a team of choice?
why?

jd1020
11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
and you think the Chiefs is a team of choice?
why?

I'm not sure what QB wouldn't want to come here. Virtually every piece but QB is in place. Only other pieces this offense needs is a RT and a C/G.

Rausch
11-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I think you drink too much.
The Chiefs are not going to draft a QB unless Pioli is fired.
Cassel will be under center in 2012.

Pioli made a point of saying that he wanted to draft a QB every year after the draft last year.

DRAFT A QB EVERY YEAR.

To me that says lower-rounds and our 2nd/3rd will be constantly challenged.

In no way though does this make me think he'd go QB in round 1...

eazyb81
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
We don't need to go all in for Luck. Matt Barkley or Landry Jones would be miles better than Cassel.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 07:54 AM
We don't need to go all in for Luck. Matt Barkley or Landry Jones would be miles better than Cassel.

Landry Jones IS Cassel /CP

eazyb81
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Landry Jones IS Cassel /CP

Yes, and Sam Bradford was going to be an epic failure according to the CP braintrust back in 2009/2010.

Molitoth
11-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Polian just announced that Manning has no problem with the Colts selecting a "QB" with their first round pick in the upcoming draft. - espn

So you know what that means. They select Luck and have him sit behind Manning ala Rodgers/Favre.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Polian just announced that Manning has no problem with the Colts selecting a "QB" with their first round pick in the upcoming draft. - espn

So you know what that means. They select Luck and have him sit behind Manning ala Rodgers/Favre.

Who ever thought he would? He's already got his contract.

moninghaly
11-15-2011, 08:14 AM
yah

suds79
11-15-2011, 08:17 AM
People still holding out hope for luck? That dream died along with suck for luck. It was the only way to get him.

Time to start focusing on the other QBs in this draft. There's a good number of them that will go 1st-2nd round.

Trevo_410
11-15-2011, 08:54 AM
how pissed would you guys be if the pats got him next year, they already got 2 or 3 first round picks...

jd1020
11-15-2011, 08:57 AM
how pissed would you guys be if the pats got him next year, they already got 2 or 3 first round picks...

... Indy would never trade the rights to Luck to NE.

MahiMike
11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
LMAO

Why would Trump keep building towers and small cities? Just because you're rich doesn't mean you can stay away from something you love. No one loves the game more than Manning. He couldn't function without it. And it's an easy way for him to transition away from playing.

MahiMike
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

I'd take Mallet.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Why would Trump keep building towers and small cities? Just because you're rich doesn't mean you can stay away from something you love. No one loves the game more than Manning. He couldn't function without it. And it's an easy way for him to transition away from playing.

I can easily see Manning in the coaching/managerial box. The guys passion for football is amazing. How many players out for the season would be sitting in the coaching box instead of sitting on the sidelines/couch collecting a paycheck?

Coogs
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Adam Schefter said the going rate to trade up is 2 #1's and 2 #2's.

Polian is too smart to let Luck get away. Manning would be pissed but too bad. Every player stays too long. I actually see Manning taking over as GM like Elway.

2 #1's and 2 #2's. If that offer presented itself, I would be all over that in a heartbeat. Think about that for a second. One of the 2 #1's is really just trading places... say from drafting #6 to drafting in the #1 spot. So all you are really forfeiting in draft picks is next years #1 and two #2 draft picks. Not that far off of what Oakland just gave up for Palmer. Count me in if the Colts sling that deal our direction.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
2 #1's and 2 #2's. If that offer presented itself, I would be all over that in a heartbeat. Think about that for a second. One of the 2 #1's is really just trading places... say from drafting #6 to drafting in the #1 spot. So all you are really forfeiting in draft picks is next years #1 and two #2 draft picks. Not that far off of what Oakland just gave up for Palmer. Count me in if the Colts sling that deal our direction.

They'll sling it for Manning and not for Luck.

The Franchise
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Vice Chairman Bill Polian said Peyton Manning is "OK" with the Colts using a high pick on a QB in the 2012 draft.

The Colts are 0-10, giving them a two-game lead in the Suck for Luck race. "The bottom line is that if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, then now is the time to make that choice," Polian said. "Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he's OK with that." Manning, who is slowly recovering from neck surgery, is due a $28 million bonus next season and will turn 36 in March. The Colts can opt out of the deal if they choose.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I dont think there is any way the Colts opt out of Manning's contract.

Luck wont be making enough money to justify throwing him in there right away when you have a HOF QB.

Coogs
11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
They'll sling it for Manning and not for Luck.

Hell no for that one.

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Peyton needs to play to show he's worth trading for. Peyton plays they win & are out of the Luck sweepstakes. Polian can't sleep at night..that could be the hookers though

kcfanXIII
11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
if the colts get the "next peyton manning" i will be so pissed. you have a hof qb for 10+ years, he gets hurt just in time for your team to go 0 for, and you get the next great qb out of the draft? now i know its predicated on luck living up to his billing, but you have to admit, the idea of the colts going from one HOFer to the next great prospect just sickens me, while we here in kc are forced to go to battle with the likes of brodie croyle, damon huard, and matt cassel.

xztop12
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Luck is not Peyton Manning and odds are he won't ever be. So many things would have to fall in place for him to even have a chance, the biggest would probably be avoiding injuries.

bricks
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Luck is not Peyton Manning and odds are he won't ever be. So many things would have to fall in place for him to even have a chance, the biggest would probably be avoiding injuries.

He may not be the next Peyton Manning, but we all know he is the most polished qb prospect to come out of the draft in a long time. Plus, if he learns behind Manning in two or three years from now he could be something really special.

Think about that. You have the most polished qb prospect learning behind one of the greatest qbs of all time. I can't think of a better situation. To me, that could lead Luck to greatness.

ct
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Fixed it.

It's just when I think of him I think of Shane Falco so it messes me up.

dude i'd take shane falco right now this very second! that kid's got moxie!

seriously tho...

I'm in!

whoman69
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
There is talent on this team, but to believe that the only missing piece we have is under center is foolish. We have at least 15 players on this roster that should not be in the NFL. If we give up so many picks that we can't fill our holes, Luck would have a short career.

Coogs
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
There is talent on this team, but to believe that the only missing piece we have is under center is foolish. We have at least 15 players on this roster that should not be in the NFL. If we give up so many picks that we can't fill our holes, Luck would have a short career.

You wouldn't give up a 1 and two 2's for Luck? The other 1 is just trading spots in the round.

Disclaimer... I don't think Indy trades out of the spot.